Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Matrix

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Have an idea for a change that you'd like to see in the Toyota Matrix? This is the place to share your design ideas!

Comments

• toronado455toronado455 Member Posts: 83
    Any more info on 2008 redesign?

My dislikes of current Matrix are:

1.Steering wheel too far forward and no telescoping offered.
    2.Center console/stack mounted shifter protrudes and reduces available right knee room.
    3.Noise.
    4.Ride comfort could be better - a bit too stiff riding for my taste.
    5.Ugly styling. (I prefer Vibe's styling.)

I'm guessing #1, #3 and #5 will be improved with the 2008 and the rest will either be the same or worse.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    It is not clear that there will be a redesign. For the Corolla, yes, but maybe not for the Matrix.

Pontiac has said in a press release, they'd be dropping the Vibe "towards the end of the decade", whatever that means. Keep in mind that the twins were a GM project, and Toyota only added the Matrix after they saw what the car would look like and thought it would be a good idea. That was before Scion got started.

I've been keeping my ear to the ground and have heard nothing about a Vibe/Matrix redesign.

-Mathias
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    This could have been my list about our 2003 Matrix except that I like the stiffness of the ride. Changes have been pretty minor in the last 5 years.

There are Matrixes all over the place in New England. Are sales not great elsewhere in the country? I have read that Pontiac wants to reinvent itself in a way that explains discontinuing the Vibe. But I think Toyota would be wise to continue the Matrix (with a roof rack option please). I don't think the Scion models are taking away consumers fromthe Matrix.
    Got it. Thanks for the info.

Heard if the new Corolla will be available as a wagon?

I find it frustrating that in other parts of the world there are many models of great hatchbacks/wagons/microvans available, but here in the USA we're stuck with mostly SUVs. :(

I want something with similar dimensions to the Mazda5. The smallest size car I would want would be something the size of the Nissan Versa. The Yaris Liftback is just too tiny. I wish they made a Yaris WAGON based on the Yaris Sedan's wheelbase. That would be cool! :shades:
    There are Matrixes all over the place in New England. Are sales not great elsewhere in the country?

There are TONS of Matrixes here in Southern California. The dealers are flooded with them, and people are buying them now more than ever.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    And from Auto Week: The Inside Track...

Matrix: The redesign will come at the same time as the Corolla's, meaning the 2009 model year. Toyota wants the Matrix to be a destination vehicle for Scion owners.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060815/FREE/60814015/1041
  • badgerrrbadgerrr Member Posts: 6
    Changes to the Matrix? Wow! This could be a long entry. I may have to come back later when even more things occur to me. Don't get me wrong, I like my 2006 Matrix; but there are sooooo many things that need improving.

The clutch and brake pedals need to be farther apart.

We need rain gutters on top so we can roll down the window without getting soaked in wet conditions.

The gauges need to be moved to the middle as with the Echo/Yaris.

The base model of the Matrix needs to be availible. I had couldn't locate a single one when I went to buy - and I even employed an auto broker!

Cargo area needs to be carpeted. Gear slids around everywhere if it's not lashed down.

Speaking of lashed down, we need some kind of tie-downs on the exterior of this rig for folks that car top, without a rack.

Eliminate all them senseless/annoying alarms.

Eliminate those Daytime Running Lights.

Redesign those uncomfortable seats.

Offer the thing in Yellow.

That will do for now. I'll probably be back with a new batch. :D
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's a wish list. t's ALLOWED to be long! ;)
    I guess that's my biggest gripe. Side visibility seems to be an issue particularly when the driver is tall. Rear visibility is not great for any size driver.

Regarding the list in posting 8, I'm in favor of keeping the running lights. And I hate the gauges in the middle and didn't consider cars for that reason. Otherwise I can agree with everything.

BTW, a guy at my church has (or had) a bright yellow Matrix. Don't know what year it was, but it was nice-looking.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    That would help me a great deal. It would also be great if they would fold and had the option to be heated.

Oh yes...better paint that can take some raod debris without chipping. You know, that's not a bad ideal for ALL cars.
  • jtomjtom Member Posts: 26
    I have a 03 xrs, but I'm pretty sure most things are the same.

- more comfortable seating, headrests hurt my neck
    - arm rest/console weird placement
    - shifter...place it closer!
    - notchy stickshift on xrs, but that's no longer avail in 07
    - offer optional carpet for rear and stock roof racks
    -

Things NOT to change
    - great styling, don't care what you vibe lovers think!! :)
    - great engine/gas mileage
    - overall, I think it's the best small wagon out there if you don't need AWD, then go subaru (soo fun to drive, but ohhh the maintenence)
  • csmatrixcsmatrix Member Posts: 13
    Difinatly a bigger engine. (The 2.4L from the Rav-4 would be perfect especially in the AWD models.)

Stiffer suspension. (the XRS suspension was perfect. It rides very smoothly and it feels much more stable than the soft base and XR models.)

Standard traction and stability control.

Standard 4 wheel disc ABS brakes

Better tires (or bigger)

Standard 6 speed manual transmission and optional 5 speed auto tranny.

Less touchy gas pedal.

An inch or two taller

Standard telescoping steering wheel.

Standard side and curtain air bags.
  • cmoningercmoninger Member Posts: 1
    Hmm . . . I know this is all subjective, but I'm afraid I don't agree with most of these. (See comments below.)

The clutch and brake pedals need to be farther apart.
    CM: I can't speak to this one, as I have an automatic.

We need rain gutters on top so we can roll down the window without getting soaked in wet conditions.
    CM: Okay, nice idea, but hardly essential.

The gauges need to be moved to the middle as with the Echo/Yaris.
    CM: Why? What's wrong with them where they are?

The base model of the Matrix needs to be availible. I had couldn't locate a single one when I went to buy - and I even employed an auto broker!
    CM: Can't speak to this one either, as I bought an XR.

Cargo area needs to be carpeted. Gear slids around everywhere if it's not lashed down.
    CM: It is -- at least mine is. I don't recall if it was standard or an option, but either way, it's available.

Speaking of lashed down, we need some kind of tie-downs on the exterior of this rig for folks that car top, without a rack.
    CM: Agreed. In fact, a roof rack option would be nice.

Eliminate all them senseless/annoying alarms.
    CM: Like what? Key in ignition? Lights on? Personally, I like these reminders. I think a way to turn them on or off would be nice, though, that way everyone could set them to their personal preference.

Eliminate those Daytime Running Lights.
    CM: Again, why? First of all, aren't they required by law in many places? But second, how is this even noticeable when you're driving?

Redesign those uncomfortable seats.
    CM: What? I think the Matrix's seats are quite comfortable.

Offer the thing in Yellow.
    CM: They do (or did) -- I own a yellow Matrix! :) As much as I love the yellow (I never would have imagined I'd own a yellow car), what I really wanted was an awesome electric blue. Wish Toyota would have offered that. (I think they have a shade close to that now, though.)
    My matrix has roof racks. You can get them as an assesory.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I will put in a vote for more spacing between clutch and brake. It is just barely acceptable as it is.

I think the suspension strikes a good balance between sport and smooth ride. If anything, I would want it a touch more sporty, with perhaps slightly larger sway bars, but I quite like it just as it is.

Folks wishing for a 2.4L engine may get their wish. Seems that "folks in the know" have info that this is indeed the plan for the '09 Matrix. I assume fuel economy will suffer quite a bit, and that would reduce my interest in the car.

I like the seats, but wish the height adjustment for the driver would be the normal method, lifting the rear of the seat bottom, rather than the existing design that ratchets the whole seat up and forward.

I think that if Honda can put 6 standard airbags and ABS in every model including the little $14K Fit, then the Matrix should have those standard too. I wouldn't mind seeing standard VSC as well, but as long as it is a readily available option (which it isn't now in Toyota models that offer optional VSC) that would be fine. Actually I have heard that Toyota expects to make VSC standard in all its models by 2009.

And I wish they would bring back the XRS. That's one fun ride. Put in the 2.4L with the TRD supercharger that's available in the Scion tC, and it would be a BLAST!
    Alas, the early info on the '09s indicates that the XRS is not going to make a return. :-(

And oh yes, the manual on the next model should be a 6-speed.

The new model is only about a year away. Is everyone going to be sad when their car becomes "the old model"? I might be a little...

:-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I wonder if the new matrix will come with AWD as an option. I hope so
    Yes, the only reason we have a Matrix is because it came in AWD. I have read speculation that the AWD is to be discontinued. I see a lot of AWD Matrixes in New England and I hope Toyota isn't going to concede the small-car AWD market to Subaru.
    they dropped the AWD and the XRS for the '07 MY, and the info is pretty solid that there will not be an XRS after the redo. I too hope AWD makes a reappearance.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

It would be really cool if they put ice blue guages on the new Matrix.
  • moosmoos Member Posts: 17
    According to the dealership the Matrix is being replaced with the Toyota Blade...just google Toyota Blade and you'll see it. It's already being sold in Japan it's to be competiion with the Mazda 3 wagon. I don't get why they just don't fix the flaws with this and leave it alone...too many "look alikes" anyway!
    I was dissapointed when I heard the Matrix was being replaced with the Blade. I think they should put the Matrix on a shortened Rav4 chassis and make it an entry level SUV since thats why most people buy them for anyways and bring over the Blade to compete with the 3
    Since they are going to replace the Matrix with the Blade, I might get a Rav4 since thats what I wanted from the start. I love those SUVs, they're awesome
  • kevinarnoldkevinarnold Member Posts: 4
    1. I'd like to see yellow fog lamps, that would add to the cool factor.

2. Move the fan control away from the automatic shift.

3. Add an ejector seat for the mother-in-law.
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    Matrix is a Corolla hatchback, full stop. It is/was a perfect car, but Toyota listens to idiots who wants bigger, bigger, bigger. Toyota already screwed up the new xB by blowing its size and by installing huge 2.4 liter from the Camry. Older xB mileage was about 35, new xB is rated only 25MPG. Global warming, bring it on.

Current Matrix has a perfect engine for its size, don't make it bigger. And bring back XRS, this is one fun car. I don't want to change much besides fake aluminum trim, it is ugly and well, fake. Either put the real thing, or make the dash clean and simple like on Corolla.

And those of you who want an SUV, go get a RAV-4 or Suzuki SX4. There are many SUVs around, Matrix is just a compact hatchback and should stay a compact and fuel-efficient hatchback.
  • dgornsteindgornstein Member Posts: 6
    I agree with mikus. When I was car shopping, I was specifically looking for a car that had a fair bit of storage, but wasn't the size of an SUV, even a small SUV. Basically, that meant a wanted a wagon. I've had nothing but exceptional reliability from the Toyotas I've owned, so that's where I looked. It turns out that the only wagon Toyota makes is the Matrix (not counting the Scions, which I considered, but ultimately didn't like the style of). It's a shame they discontinued the Camry wagon, or I would have looked at that, too. But I like the Matrix. It suits my needs.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    1. bigger engine (2.4) with a 5-speed auto transmission -- please ditch the 4-speed.
    2. return of AWD - maybe with a driver-operated switch to go from front-wheel drive to four-wheel drive or the option to let the car automatically select -- I like to have driver control at times
    3. fold-down passenger seat with hard backside for hauling long objects.
    4. optional raised suspension package for greater ground clearance
    sounds like you want to "Outback" the Matrix... :D

• sales2010sales2010 Member Posts: 33
    I would like standard VSC, stability control, ABS, side curtain airbags, and fog lights. I think the paint should be of better quality. Better fit and finish since the Matrix suffers some rattles.

I would like the engine to stay the same. Possibly, I would like a 5 speed automatic transmission
  • dgornsteindgornstein Member Posts: 6
    If i'm understanding your "#3" correctly, that's already a part of the Matrix, at least it's in my '07. The front passenger seat folds forward completely flat, and has a hard back. It even has a cup holder :-).
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    My '04 Vibe also has a fold forward front seat with a hard back.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • rondo1rondo1 Member Posts: 4
    Dealer balanced & did an alinement,but didnt help.Would Keeping less air presser in the tires help stop the vibration?
    Slowing down to 50 or 55 stops steering wheel shake! Open to coments.
  • oubaasjohnoubaasjohn Member Posts: 8
    I dislike the map light switches on my two matrixes, its nice to have a light that can be pointed but the switches are too close to where one grips the mirror when adjusting it and they are push button so easily turned on accidentally. If that happens in daylight it often goes unnoticed and the light stays on till the next time you drive at night when it is obvious.
    I also need larger numbers on the odometer and temperature gauges. Hard to read for the older demographic. Though according to Toyota the car was designed to appeal to the young crowd. But I seem to see mostly older Matrix drivers. I am not in Florida either....
    When you get the moonroof, you get one big maplight on the roof instead of the mirror-mounted ones, with spotlights that go both ways. I would like to see all '09 Matrix, with and without moonroof, get the roof-mounted light, and see it become a twin set of lights, one for passenger and one for driver, just like everybody else does (and like Toyota does in most of its models).

• doug61doug61 Member Posts: 4
    Where did you get them? What brand or manufacturer? I live in Southern California & bought my 06 new here. The dealer had no interest in supplying a roof rack (kinda weird right there) & then other dealers said there was no rack for a Matrix. The factory VIBE set up is over $400 as you buy it as parts plus assembly. I conducted what I thought was a pretty diligent search for a permanently mounted, clean looking rack. Everything came back to Yakima or Thule @ $500 plus. I've only seen one Matrix with what looked like a "factory rack".

doug
    Re: #3 - "fold down passenger seat with hard backside..." One of the reasons I bought my 06 base model as that the passenger seat back folded flat (forward) so I can get my 9'-6" surfboard inside the car. Current design covers that item.

doug
    We bought our 06 just a year ago after looking at a lot of other cars (Fit; Scion; Mazda 3, 5 & 6). My ideal car is a four door hatchback that gets good mileage & hauls lots of stuff (bicycles, kayaks, surfboards, etc.). We live in Southern Calif so AWD, ground clearance, the usual SUV type specs don't apply. It's the base model with 5 speed manual; pw/pl/ac only. As stripped as we could get it.

After a year & reading thru the discussion, the following imrpvements could be made:

1. Clutch & brake are too close together for 10-1/2 D feet. Too much conscious attention req'd to operate smoothly. Wife has no problem here.

2. Back lit gauges are too dim in daylight & difficult to read (over 50 eyes may be the problem but they're all I've got). Wife has no problem here.

3. DEFINITELY needs a factory roof rack at least an option. People buy this car to haul stuff. At least rails so you have a mounting point to work from. This has been a major peeve of mine.

4. Throttle a bit sensitive for a manual. Could use perhaps a heavier flywheel for easier driving. Minor snivel.

STUFF WE BOTH LOVE:

Seats & seating position are fine. I'm 5'11" & she's 5'2". Very comfortable & good ride.
    Good gas mileage.
    Interior flexibility. We've had a variety of sports equipment plus furniture & junk in the back. Good storage.
    For the folks who'd like to see carpeting instead of plastic, get a bit creative with carpet scraps, door mats, & similar misc stuff & you can get what you're looking for simple & cheap. Have never taken the factory tie-down loops out of their bags.
    Cruises around So Cal @ 75 mph with ease & fairly quiet.
    Great parking in small spots.
    Low roof height (compared to SUV) makes loaking kayaks on top (Thule rack) easy.
    Plastic interior handles sand, mud, & assorted natural crud with ease & doesn't get stinky like carpet.
    Grocery bag net is really cool - we use both nets a lot. The pop up back window is great for grocery loading.
    Insurance is reasonable.
    Service at my local Shell station is as good as it gets. It's just a car, after all.

OVERALL: Yes, we'd buy another one, & are considering doing so when we need to replace the next car. Would also consider the new Honda CRV or whatever Toyota comes out with in the next couple of years.

doug
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    First, I would make it not so ugly, make it look more like a wagon if they're going to call it one, eliminate gray and black from the interior color choice, keep all trims under $16,000, although I would like to see some wood grain trim and leather seats, which if they did that I would allow $18,000 tops. I'd keep the size, it's perfect for bringing home that large electronic appliance, or a new four-legged friend, and please do NOT eliminate the federally-mandated daytime running lights, which have saved me more than I can count.
    The lack of roof rack was discussed in this forum back when our 2003 AWD was new. Before investing in a Vibe roof rack, check the shape of the top of your hatch. With the 2003 model year the Vibe hatch had a slightly different shape so that it would clear the ends of the rails.

I agree that a roof rack would be a welcome change. I wouldn't use it often, but it's nice to have when you need it. But don't add a roof rack without switching to another sort of radio antenna! In-glass antenna, or fender-mounted flex wire -- both of which are used on other Toyota models.
  • observer999observer999 Member Posts: 3
    Although many of you have listed excellent suggestions - and some not so good - I'm reposting my MDC from another forum here.

Now, for my ultimate MDC (Matrix Dream Car)

KEEP - interior room and versatility features.
    - if you want carpet in the cargo area, make it an option. I like the smooth finish.

KEEP - AWD.
    - NO, NO, NO, Subaru is not a comparable option thank you! Overpriced, over-hyped, granola wagon, "... hey look at me I'm a tree-hugger!" I heard that Subaru owners may automatically get a lifetime membership to the Sierra Club?

KEEP - hydraulic steering.
    - not some electric motor thingy.

KEEP - the 1.8L available.
    - we have the 1.8 with AWD and she moves us over the mountain passes just fine. Besides, can't expect to consistently get 30+ mpg and drive a dragster at the same time - I'll take the mpg thank you!

ADD - turbo diesel option with 6 speed auto/manual transmission.

- this would be HUGE +++++ propelling Toyota beyond the stratosphere - besides if VW can do it, why not Toyota?

ADD - AWD to FWD on-the-fly electronic controls.
    - nice convenience for the summer months; saves wear and tear; might even boost the already excellent mileage a bit!

ADD - increased ground clearance 1 to 2 inches - at least in the AWD models.
    - our 03' Matrix accommodated slightly taller tires which really helps in deep snow. But, a little more height would be nice. I'm sensing the need to develop an after-market lift kit!

I can dream can't I?

:shades:
  • stilldlstilldl Member Posts: 6
    I would love to see a roof rack. I had to pay $279.00 for a roof rack that fit.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Seems like Toyota was listening (or reading here?? ;-)) based on the announced specs for the upcoming '09 Matrix. The 2.4L engine will be available with a 5-speed auto and AWD model is back, albeit with a 4-speed auto only. The officials pix of the '09 Matrix look good!
This discussion has been closed.