Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• tigger12tigger12 Member Posts: 9
    I just got off the phone with Chrysler (800) 992-1997. They opened up a file and forwarded it to the regional manager. They said he will then discuss the problems with their engineers. I asked for the TSB# and this is what they gave me: TSB# 21-002-07
    ____

Yesterday was my daughter's 7th birthday. It was a cold evening so we went and saw the "Bee" movie, and were then going to go to her favorite restaurant the "Spaghetti Factory". Hurrying back to our 'family' car to get out of the near freezing winds, the remote doorlocks wouldn't work. I quickly unlocked the door manually and jumped in the car, pressed the unluck button and none of the doors unlocked. Thinking the battery may be low or dead I started up the car... started right up. Then tried the doorlock button again, still did not work even with the car running. I had my 70 year old father, my wife and three kids outside in the cold. Quickly I reached around and started to unlock the doors from the inside. Even the manual lock was broken on the rear passenger door where my wife and 2 year old and 3 year old son's were waiting to get in. After getting everyone in the car, the dash panel was blinking and the heater would not come on. What a car! After a minute or two of blinking lights eveything began working 'normally'. We scrapped the dinner and decided to go home and open some presents for my daughter...
    ___

That was last night. Today I dropped the car off at the dealer and called Chrysler.

File #16918018
  • gthosgthos Member Posts: 15
    Is the 800 phone number you posted for your local dealer or to Chrysler Corp? Thanks
  • faschulzfaschulz Member Posts: 52
    :lemon: hi again ,just waiting to reach 3,000 miles to take it again to the service (they told me is the time it takes to break in the torque converter) for me that sounds not normal I have had at least 25 cars in my life and none has behave like this one. I would like to know if any of you have any problem when you are driving at low speeds for short distance ej.. bumper to bumper traffic and feel the transmission downshift so abrupt that pull the car foward,I'm still having shudder problems, if I don't get it fix this time, I'll start lemon law in my car.
    by the way my Pacifica is a 2007 spring special with 2500 miles.
    That does not correspond with my experience. We noticed the shudder before 700 miles were on the car... and it has only gotten worse. With 3,600 miles on it they are putting in the new torque converter.

By the way, my Pacifica is the 2007 Spring Special also with AWD. Good luck.

The 800# I posted is, I believe, for Chrysler Corporate.
  • gvonurffgvonurff Member Posts: 2
    I have an '07 Spring Edition too & had the tranny shudder. I took it in to Chrysler...the tech drove it & confirmed the discrepancy. I drove home & three days later they called to inform me the part came in & when would I like to come in to fix it. I brought it in 2 days later. The repair took 2 days (torque converter replacement) & all is well. While it was in the shop, I had a remote start installed ($400). The price was a bit steep but it was installed by a factory store so I will not have any Warentee issues. It is GREAT! :)
    thanks for your response, I'm taking my car to service again on monday I'll keep you informed.
  • ohlordohlord Member Posts: 2
    I loved this car when I first got it, but ran into the torque converter problem just under 3000 miles. The dealership replaced the torque converter, (I am amazed, 1 day turnaround?! he says they've done several) Now although the shudder and other odd shifting problems are gone, the car is much louder at low gears and it seem to be using a LOT more gas. I'm watching the mileage real close now. anyone else seen this??
  • sakthorpsakthorp Member Posts: 10
    This is exactly our issue. Had the torque converter replaced at around 1,000 miles but now the engine is really loud when accelerating between 0 and 35. We used to get around 17mpg (we have an AWD Limited) and are down to 13.6 around town.

We just had it back in the shop with our complaints and they reprogrammed the computer thingy and so we're hoping for the best.

We have under 6,000 miles on this car. Arrgh. ;)
    Well, the dealer that I bought from didn't really seem to be seriously interested in my problems, although they told me they wanted the District Manager to look at it (after my 3rd visit). I decided to go to another dealer this coming Monday. However, the car overheated on me yesterday (just one more problem) and I had it towed to the 2nd dealer. Their service manager looked the shuddering situation up and agreed right away that it could be a software reprogramming problem (1st) or torque converter (2nd). I mentioned the horrendous MGP and he felt that a torque converter problem could be putting more strain on the car and the MPG might actually improve after replacement. Odd that you seem to be experiencing just the opposite. Good luck to us all.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I can only say that our 07 Pacifica Touring AWD seens to be fine. I doubt the noise should be there, I would suggest you contact the dealer Service manager ASP and ask what he thinks.

farout
    Just picked up my AWD 2007 Pacifica. So far so good. The TSB on the invoice is TSB# 21-016-07.

The electrical problems were related to a fuse that was not seated properly from the factory and was working its way loose. The erratic occurance, and the increasing frequency, of the problems seem to agree with this diagnosis... we'll see.

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers,
    Wayne
  • jperez27jperez27 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the TSB#. I took the pacifica in again ( 2nd time ) and requested they call chrysler. They finally admitted there is a big problem with the 07 pacifica shudder problem and that chrysler is working on the solution. Chrysler stated that not all torque converter replacements are working! They re-programed the module again with an updated firmware. The shifting got a little better but the problem still persisted. Called the dealer and told them the problem did not go away. Service rep told me they will have to call chrysler to get the next corrective action. Hopefully it will be to replace the torque converter! Will keep you guys posted.
  • sakthorpsakthorp Member Posts: 10
    Let us know how it goes. Our Pac has already had had the torque converter replaced, yet the shuttering has RETURNED along with vibrations and a feeling that the car will stall when downshifting. This is so frustrating and spendy since the mileage has drastically fallen from 16 to 11mpg around town.

Back to the dealer on Monday. We've contacted a lemon law attorney since we're nearing our first year anniversary in six weeks. Shuddering, electrical issues, stereo issues, vibration thru front end, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    Just a thought, but I ahve noticed not the shudder you seem to be getting , but a different thought on what I think. It appears to me that the 6 spped automatic, which is new (made by Borg Warner as I have found at Allpar) lets the engine speed drop to a point that the engine has a hard time droping to 1,300 rpm and still keep it in the gear the transmission is in. I think it's lugging the engine.
    Now maybe you all have a different thing than I think I feel. I am impressed with the mpg we get 21 to 24.3 which is better than our 2007 Jeep Compass got. Frankly I think the 4 L engine has great get up and go and it's mated to a Transmission that helps it preform to the max.
    I am sorry to hear of others problems, and do wish for your problems to get resloved.

farout
    Having gone through a DCX buy back in April of this year, I hope I can help you a little.
    If you have all the documentation of your Pacificas problems, and you mileage is below 36,000, and you bought it new you don't need a Attorney!
    I will give you the correct way to get the results.
    Call the dealer you bought the car from, speak to the Service manager. Tell him you want the Chrysler Zone Rep. to meet with you and the Service Manager, because you have lost confidence in the car. Call the dealers General Manager, and tell him or her, that you have asked the Service Manager to make arrangements meet the Zone Rep. and would he follow up to make sure this gets done ASAP. Then call 1-800 992 1997 and go the the choice that lets you tell your experience. Tell the telephone rep what you have experienced, and that you are asking for them to establish a reference number and to ask for someone to follow it up.
    The telephone rep will call the dealer to see if they have made contact with the Zone Rep. and if not why not.
    Do not worry about you being over the one year time frame, we were 16 months of having our Jeep Liberty Diesel when we first contacted Chrysler. The big issues are what I stated above, and if you are good there you will be ok.
    Chrysler is fantastic about helping buyers that have problem vehicles! If you have owned other Chrysler made vehicles let them know that you have been a loyal believer in their brand. That's a real strong point if you have owned other Chrysler vehicles. We have owned 13 Chrysler vehicles and we have been pleased with all but two and both problem vehicles Chrysler stood by us. Now to me that speaks volumes about their desire to help.
    DO NOT RUN DOWN THE DEALER, THE SERVICE MANAGER, OR THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED ON THE CAR!. That only gets everyone in a defensive mode, which gets you no where. Compliment them for their interest in hearing your problem, which is really just good P. R.
    This whole thing form the time you call you Service manager can take about 90 days until you get into a Chrysler vehicle you want to replace your Pacifica.
    I sincerely hope this helps, I have repeated this to several others who have had their problems resolved.

farout
    Having gone through a DCX buy back in April of this year, I hope I can help you a little.
    If you have all the documentation of your Pacificas problems, and you mileage is below 36,000, and you bought it new you don't need a Attorney!
    I will give you the correct way to get the results.
    Call the dealer you bought the car from, speak to the Service manager. Tell him you want the Chrysler Zone Rep. to meet with you and the Service Manager, because you have lost confidence in the car. Call the dealers General Manager, and tell him or her, that you have asked the Service Manager to make arrangements meet the Zone Rep. and would he follow up to make sure this gets done ASAP. Then call 1-800 992 1997 and go the the choice that lets you tell your experience. Tell the telephone rep what you have experienced, and that you are asking for them to establish a reference number and to ask for someone to follow it up.
    The telephone rep will call the dealer to see if they have made contact with the Zone Rep. and if not why not.
    Do not worry about you being over the one year time frame, we were 16 months of having our Jeep Liberty Diesel when we first contacted Chrysler. The big issues are what I stated above, and if you are good there you will be ok.
    Chrysler is fantastic about helping buyers that have problem vehicles! If you have owned other Chrysler made vehicles let them know that you have been a loyal believer in their brand. That's a real strong point if you have owned other Chrysler vehicles. We have owned 13 Chrysler vehicles and we have been pleased with all but two and both problem vehicles Chrysler stood by us. Now to me that speaks volumes about their desire to help.
    DO NOT RUN DOWN THE DEALER, THE SERVICE MANAGER, OR THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED ON THE CAR!. That only gets everyone in a defensive mode, which gets you no where. Compliment them for their interest in hearing your problem, which is really just good P. R.
    This whole thing form the time you call you Service manager can take about 90 days until you get into a Chrysler vehicle you want to replace your Pacifica.
    I sincerely hope this helps, I have repeated this to several others who have had their problems resolved.

farout
    I think the same the engine is great and the brakes are very good that's why I want to my car fix , i drove yesterday an 08 and seems to run better, feels a bit heavy but not feel the shudder may be they solve the problem or just was too new.
    I'll keep you posted.
    thanks for the info. I do agree. There are certain things I like about the car. But chrysler needs to work on quality control. For example. My pacifica is a AWD 07 Limited with just over 3,000 miles. So far I have had 1 fog light replaced. Which came off the lot brand new with 1 only working. It was fixed. Heard a clicking sound from the engine. got worse over time. Did not sound normal. took it in and found there is a issue with the rockers. Had that replaced. Now the transmission shudder problem. I am slowly losing confidence in the vehicle. What a shame! I really like the pacifica. Good looking car. Oh...I am currently getting close to 20 mpg. Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me about the shudder. Will keep you guys posted.
    I had my oil changed at the dealer today, and I mentioned to the Service manager the engine lugging I felt when the engine hit about 1300 to 1500 rpm. I told him how others on this forum had experienced torque converter issues. He told me that he would check it out while it was there. The Service manager came back and told me that certian Vin # Pacifica's have a recall on the torque converters to be replaced. Mine is one, and the lugging that I had related was exactally the way the recalled stated the problem is. There is a week to get the parts and so in later November it will replaced. So this is why I have been a customer of LLoyd Belt in Eldon MO, and bought 4 vehicles from them.
    With the new parts there is a new program designed to operate more smoothly and better fuel mileage.
    Perhaps this might help someone, I hope so.

farout
    Yes, please keep us updated on your shuddering issue. Mine is in the shop for the past eight days (4th time) and also has just over 3000 miles. This is the second dealer I have taken it to. Seems that at least these guys are 'trying' to fix my problems, unlike the dealer that I purchased from. They have not replaced the torque converter, but updated software or something like that this time. Now they are trying to find out why I have a nasty grinding sound in the steering. Said they hadn't experienced it before and were looking to corporate for resolution advise. As for your MPG, that is fantastic compared to mine. I have just barely seen 15mpg twice. Are you taking that from the car's system or actually figuring it yourself from actual gallons pumped? I don't have it but am told some models calculate average mpg in the system.
    Good news! Dealer is ordering the torque converter. Hopefully it will fix it. As far as the MPG. I got the reading from the car's system. Will let you guys know when the torque converter is replaced.
  • irongirlirongirl Member Posts: 3
    Do you hear the grinding noise when you make turns? I am hearing something when I turn right, but it doesn't happen all of the time. I am taking my vehicle in for the 4th time tomorrow, they plan to replace the second torque converter and "flash" it. Let's see if this is the fix.
    Glad to hear you're moving on to a torque converter replacement. As for the car's system MPG reporting, the dealer I purchased from indicated that was not accurate. Interestingly enough he told me that BEFORE knowing that I was doing a manual calculation and was giving the impression that the system would be "under-reporting", however he was very quiet when I told him that my calculations were manual from the gas pump and odometer reading. Who really knows, but the manual calculation certainly can't be inaccurate. I'd be very curious to see how your manual calculation compares to the one your car's system is reporting. Good luck with the new torque converter. I'm hoping to get a call on my car' status tomorrow. It will have been in the shop this time for eleven days tomorrow and certainly not the first time in.
    Yes, the grinding noise is when turning. Started out after backing up and then turning to move forward, but progressed to just turning from a standstill at stop sign, etc. Replacing torque converter for SECOND time?? What is "flash" it procedure?
  • david613david613 Member Posts: 16
    Hi all. I own an 07 Pacifica Touring with all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, I have had two torque converter replacements thus far and I am still having issues with the shuddering / lugging from 40 mph up (at low RPMs -1200-1800), particularly going uphill. Anyone else still having this same problem? I am very seriously considering either a buy back or going through the :lemon: lemon law here in MD.
    Any help on either process or my vehicle's problems would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry to hear that. Torque converter came in. Dropped off the pacifica at the dealer. Should take 2-3 days to replace. They will be putting their best guy on it. Hopefully the replacement works. The dealer told me chrysler stated that not all replacements are working. You might want to try the buy back. If this does not work for me. I will probably start the buy back process. Good Luck! will keep you guys/gals posted.
    I have sympathy for your situation, The lemon law is not the easiest way to go. Chrysler will work with you on this if a buy back is what you really want. I know as Chrysler called us and told us our 2005 Jeep Liberty diesel was not up to Chrysler standards!!! Now that says a lot to me about Chrysler!
    Here are some things to just let you know. If you have less than 36,000 miles, and have receipts for you scheduled work done, and repairs made, you stand a good chance to get a buy back. However if you borrowed money beyond what the vehicles sticker price was that can present a problem, in financing the replacement vehicle. You can choose from any vehicle made by Chrysler LLC, except MB. They like for you to select a vehicle equal to or more expensive than the vehicle you currently have. However it can be worked out with a lower priced replacement vehicle, but it makes it difficult. Depending on how many miles you have on your Pacifica is how much per mile you will have to pay for the use of the Pacifica. That too can be determined by how many trips for repair you have made to correct the problems. In our case we went 25 times to the dealer in 17 months. Our cost was $ .05 cents a mile for 28,500 miles. We were told that was very unusual as most mileage charges go for $ .15 to $ .50 cents a mile, just depending.
    To start the buy back ask the Service Manager to call the Chrysler Zone Rep. as you feel a buy back is in order. Then go to the Dealerships General manager or owner and tell him your issues with the Pacifica, and tell him to please assist the Service Manager and call the Chrysler Zone Rep as well. Then call Chrysler Customer Care at 1 800 992 1997 and talk to the last choices # 5. Tell then how you believe you have a defective Pacifica. They will follow up with the dealer to make sure the Chrysler Zone Rep. is involved.
    ABOVE ALL ELSE DO NOT DOWN GRADE THE DEALER OR THE PEOPLE WHO WORK AT THE DEALERSHIP! BE POSITIVE, AND AFFIRM THAT YOU ARE A CHRYSLER LOYAL CUSTOMER. These people hear complaints ALL day, by nasty people that abuse them all the time. Be refreshing and kind as well as showing understanding. Get off to a good start by winning the people over to understand you have a real problem that they can help you with.
    Hope this helps, and good luck.

farout
    I have done exactly what you have suggested. Fortunately, we only borrowed about $12,000 on a $36,000 vehicle. Also, we would really like to have another Pacifica (wo problems of course) or possibly a Town and Country (don't know about the minivan.....yikes). Also, we have just over 10,000 miles on our Pacifica, so we will see how this plays out. I will post again when I have new information.
  • rae4rae4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, about to bring my 07 Pacifica in again at approx 3900 miles. Had the torque converter replaced approx. 1000 miles ago. Seemed to work at first then gradually the "shuddering" started again. Usually happens between 25 to 40 miles and a lot when going up hill. Is poor gas mileage something that anyone else has noticed, is it connected to this problem? Also, I see a lot of post re a buyback. Can anyone explain further, is that part of the Lemon Law. I'm live in PA now so not familiar with their law. (I know in Jersey you had to have to the vehicle back at 3 times for the same problem and if not corrected by then if under certain mileage etc you can initiate a lemon law).
  • quattrob4uquattrob4u Member Posts: 4
    I too have a '07 Pacifica AWD with the transmission/torque converter shudder issue and have also noticed a 20% decrease in fuel economy as the temps have dropped. Though I expected a drop in fuel economy with the colder temps, a 20% drop seems excessive.

I have not had the torque converter replaced in my car as the shudder is infreqent at this point. Can anyone that has had the torque converter replaced, please comment on how the fix has affected driveability, performance and fuel economy?

Thank you for your time.
  • pjkirbypjkirby Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2007 Pacifica Limited Edition last April and at 700 miles I started noticing a "shudder" problem. The service tech told me it was the transmission "breaking in" to my driving style and that it would stop. After 300 more miles it wasn't stopping and, in fact, getting worse. I took it in and they replaced the torque converter. That was fine for a couple hundred miles. It started again, I called and they said bring it in they had forgotten to "flash" it....ok...did it and still not working...took it in a couple more times, no help. The dealership then told me that a Chrysler rep said that it was going to be a "silent recall" and new torque converters were being manufactured and I would be notified when they were ready. I've heard nothing. In October I requested an arbitration packet since the car was purchased in KY, it is a arbitration state. Still no packet even after several e-mails saying it was on the way. I do have a name and number of the Chrysler rep and also a case number. Has anyone else had THIS much difficulty in resolving this issue and has anyone had any luck on getting their vehicle repaired or replaced? I'm just fed up (as you can tell by my rant) and would like some insight from some fellow Pacifica owners. Thanks!
  • pjkirbypjkirby Member Posts: 2
    My torque converter was replaced at 700 miles and it worked for a few hundred miles. They said it was going to be a "silent recall" but still nothing from Chrysler. I'm hiring an attorney after several attempts to work it out through Chrysler Customer Service.
  • tdunawaytdunaway Member Posts: 9
    Replacing the converter probably will not help, we just bought a new 2007 Pacifica on 10/31. at 600 miles we discovered the shudder also at 30 & 55 mph. They have replaced the converter and we still have the issue, just now it is @ 25 & 45 mph. They have flashed the car twice and still not resolved, we are told a new tsb will be out soon. I am really pissed and want to know how to start the buy back proceedure.
    Hi. You are correct. Two torque converter replacements did not help mine. The buyback process has proven to be fairly easy for me thus far. Just follow the directions that someone posted on here a while back. If you do exactly what he suggested, it shouldn't be a problem. We are in the process of getting an 08 Town and Country as a replacement for our Pacifica. We had to order it as no one had one exactly like what we wanted, so I guess it will take a little longer than usual. they told me about 6-8 weeks. This doesn't seem to be a very long wait to me. Our dealership has been great thus far. Just remember not to yell and scream at people. That will get you nowhere; besides it is not their fault!
    tdunaway: Having gone the complete way of a buy back from Chrysler back in April 4, 2007 I can give you some information that might help. We has a 2005 Jeep Liberty with the diesel engine. This vehicle was in the shop 25 times in 16 months. Chrysler called us and asked if they could help us with this situation. So we stated the buy back on Feb. 16, 07 and we got our choice replacement of a 2007 Jeep Compass on April 4, 07. The Compass was a huge disappointment. We traded it in on our 2007 Pacifica Touring AWD on 8, 31, 07. The Pacifica gets better fuel mileage than the Compass did! We are pleased with the Pacifica. Yes, we had the converter R & R done a bt two weeks ago, There is still a small shudder at low RPM's like 1200 to 2200. But with the LIFETIME WARRANTY POWERTRAIN I have no worries about it not being resolved sooner or later. The Pacifica's ride and fit and finish and quality makes this a great vehicle for us.
    The buy back will cost you something per mile for use, anywhere from $ .50 to as little as $ .05 a mile.
    The 4.L engine and the 6 speed automatic are new for 2007, and are now in the Town & Country and Caravan. So I would expect this will be resolved rather soon. Unless you hate the Pacifica I would advise to stick it out for a while. One other issue is that with a buy back you have to buy a Chrysler vehicle of your choice, but not a MB.
    Frankly from what I have seen all vehicles regardless of brand have some sort of unique problems. Chrysler is easier to deal with problems than most other brands, and make your issues known by calling 800 992 1997 at customer care and get it documented, so you have a clear history that cam be proven should you want to get a buy back.
    Hope this helps. and merry Christmas
  • frankbjrfrankbjr Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 2007 Pacifica in October 2007 and the shuddering started shortly after that. I had the torche converter replaced and it still shudders. The mechanic said this is the way these cars drive because the idle is kept low for fuel economy. I'm sorry I bought it because it is driving me crazy. I have only put 3400 miles on it.
    Correction - I only put about 1900 miles on the car as I bought it with 1500 miles on it. And the problem started within a month of purchase if not sooner.
    Same problem here from an April purchase. Chrylser (or at least the dealer) doesn't want to own up to much. I've been in four times and not even had a torquer converter replaced yet. Other problems also. Is your MPG so good that you believe what the mechanic told you? Mine really sucks.
    My MPG also sucks. Whether the mechanic is right or not it doesn't really matter to me. Because I would have never bought a car that shakes or shudders. I just spoke to my salesperson and told him I can't beleive that he never heard of this problem after seeing all these complaints. I told him to go onto this site. He is supposed to check with his mechanic tomorrow as I have been going to a local dealership since the one I bought it from is 1 hour away. I will persue this until they fix it, I get a buy back, or I go through the lemon law. I can't beleive they have not replace your torque converter yet?
    You say you have no worries about it not being correct, due to the warranty. However, do you want to keep battling this issue forever? I say the issues should be corrected NOW so that we can drive these vehicles in comfort now, as we'd intended when we purchased them. I owned a fantastic Chrysler a bit over 30 years ago when it was a very fine company and people were honored to be driving one of their cars. I wish I could still say that today.
    Hi , I have been away some time because I was waiting to reach 5000 miles on my Pacifica (the time they told me it takes to break in ) so I went today to the dealer and we did the road test and the car felt better than normal but shudder about 70 miles per hour then when you come to a complete stop the down shift feels hard and even pull the car foward , about the shudder they told me that was normal and the down shift problem was because It has 6 speed transmission? I told the service advisor that I have an Audi that has 7 and it does not make that, is the 4th time that I take my car in , but for them reflash the computer does not count as a repair so I have just 2, and this one they were unable to replicate a problem that was there, I think they have no intention to fix my car, they even think that I'm crazy that is my imagination I don't know how this people works there. :lemon:
    Just heard from my dealer today, they want to replace the torque converter again, number 2!! Chrysler seems to be giving us all a bunch of Bull, the area rep told me yesterday that w/in 3 to 5 months they should have a fix, they didn't want to wait 3 to 5 months for theyre 30,000.00. I really hate this car, I've heard all the excuses from them for driving technics, not broke in, its the way cars w/ over drive all shudder. I am going to call and [non-permissible content removed] everyday until they buy it back, I drafted a letter the attorney generals office and our state representative today, I hope all of us do, Chrysler needs to step up and admit theres a big problem and fix it right or pull these Pacificas off the line.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I have a 2006 Pacifica with 62,000 miles and no transmission issues. I have a couple of questions for owners with the transmission problem.
    1. Is there still a problem if you shift using the AutoStick function? I understand that we should not have to, but I need to replace my car next year at 70,000 miles due to it being a company car, and I would like to know what my options are. I love the car, and might be willing to do the AutoStick rather than downgrade to another vehicle.
    2. I realize that this is outside the box, but has anyone put a 2006 transaxle in a 2007? I assume that this would solve the problem. Again I understand that we should not have to, but I love the car and I want to know what my options are. I have searched the world, and there is not another car at this price point that has the fabulous ride, handling, and interior that this car has. The GE guy and the Toyota guy who are running Chrysler now must not understand.
    As a follow-up to my Post #146, I went to the car-part.com website to check what the price is for a 2004 - 2006 Pacifica transmission. It appears that they are available at $600 for a unit with less than 50,000 miles. I am not sure if it will work in a 2007?
    I have tried the Auto stick function, and actually I think it made the shudder worse when I drove in regular automatic after using the auto stick. I agree the car is a nice ride but the shudder is really agitating and embarissing when you have friends and family w/ you.
    I have read that the torque converter problem has to do with the friction in the torque converter. I know that the owners manual says that you have to use the Chrysler transmission fluid in the Pacifica. Has anyone tried using the GM fluid in a Pacifica with the transmission problem? My thought is that the friction could be different with the GM fluid? I suppose that the Mobil 1 synthetic fluid could be different also?
    The Lemon Laws in each state vary, so that you should be able to get from the internet. However, Chrysler works with customers better than the states system called the "Lemon Law". In my opinion for what it's worth, (likely very little) the shudder (at least in our Pacifica's case) seems to be more of a lugging of the engine rather than the transmission. In our Pacifica the shudder is somewhat better than before replacing the TC. The shudder happens no matter what gear the transmission is in, but it shows up in the RPM's about 1200 to 2000 rpm. But when doing 60 to 70 mph it seems fine. The fuel mileage does go down some in cold tempatures, no matter what you drive. But, I am getting 20 to 21 mpg driving locally, and 23 to 24 on the open road. That is a lot better than our bought back Jeep Liberty Diesel, and the Compass we traded in on the Pacifica.
    The Compass felt like the parking brake was on when you took your foot off the gas. The pacifica glides like it;s floating on air!
    Besides the LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY, we bought the Lifetime Max Care Service Contract. So I am most likely driving the last vehicle I will need here on this earth, baring some unforeseen event, which is always a possibility. Being retired we are not in a huge rush to get places, so we pretty much stay with the speed limit, and drive for better mpg. That's not to say I don't push it once and a while.
    I hope this helps.

farout
    the problem is with the 07 pacificas that have the 4.0 engine and 6 speed transmission,all others still working fine.
    update - since the converter has been replaced. I have not felt the shudder problem. It's been close to a month now. So far so good. Will keep my fingers crossed.
    fyi...before the replacement was getting 20 mpg. After the replacement getting 19.5. Might be the winter gas blend. will keep a close eye on the MPG.