Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    One thing I have noticed with the PAC, is that at certain speeds, the rpms are very low. 1400 rpms at 50 mph is extremely low. Ever pulled away from a stop sign in 3rd gear with a five speed? It is the same sort of feeling. Seems to me that if Chrysler were to simply change the rear gear ratio a tad bit and then flash the computer to account for the speed difference (the speedo will now be off if you did not), all these problems would be solved.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    yotts: The best advice is to get the best Chrysler Service Contract you can. There might be a chance you could convert to a Lifetime Power train warranty. You will have to call Chrysler at 1 800 442 2666 or 1 800 521 9922 and see what they say. Ther is as far as I know no buy back bt Chrysler on used vehicles. You are going to have to get the general manager of the dealer you bought it at involved to get help. In all honesty the ABS light might be a wire left off? Generally the lemon law does not apply to used vehicles, but check with the state you live in to get the real facts. Best advice I have is continue to work with yoyr dealer and get the Chrysler Service Contract, it's great protection.

farout
  • bulldozerbulldozer Member Posts: 31
    Well, I called Chrysler today, gave them the entire story. They want me to call the servicing dealership tomorrow and set up an appointment again. They claimed they will talk with the general manager of the dealership and get a Chrysler technical person involved. They called the dealership and requested the entire service history on the vehicle. I was friendly and honest. I told them that the service manager and I were out of ideas as to what to try next. Hopefully, this will be the turning point! I almost hated to do it, but what else could I have done? At least it sounds like they are going to get involved at this point. All I am after is for the car to drive like it should! I will keep you all posted!
  • rhollisrhollis Member Posts: 122
    Good luck. I wrote to Chrysler twice with copies to the salesman at the dealership. I never received a response from anyone. I guess that the salesman does not care if I am a happy customer or not. Will I ever buy a car from him or his dealership again - NO.
    rhollis: There is a problem with the way you are going about it. The salesman can't do a thing to help you, once the car is sold his job is done, that's all he does is sell.
    Call 800 992 1997 follow the instructions. Tell them the problem and just like bulldozer Customer care will follow the problem up and get more people involved to make sure you problem is resolved. Hope this helps.

farout
  • david613david613 Member Posts: 16
    farout: I finally received my replacement vehicle yesterday evening. We had Chrysler build us an 08 T & C. Nice vehicle.

Because we had so few miles on the Pacifica and spent so much time at service, they did not charge us for milage. The buyback process was great!!!!!!!!! I took your advice and it all worked out for me. The only down side was that it took 12 weeks to build our vehicle (layoffs, holidays, etc.) if anyone else is considering a buyback...listen to farouts advice

I spoke to the service mgr last night and he said that they still have not found a fix for the TC. He said that they may not, which was also the case for the 2.8 V6 years ago. Keep your fingers crossed! He aslo shared that Chrysler LLC is downsizing big time and that they will be down to a total of 18 vehicles (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep) by the next model year. I could guess what is going....surely the gas-guzzling Commander-nice vehicle, terrible on gas!!!
  • faschulzfaschulz Member Posts: 52
    Dear Farout:
    last week they changed the TC on my Pac with no improvements I called Chrysler yesterday and told them that my car still not working as it should , so she called the dealer and they said that the car is working o.k. , and at the time of the drive test prior to pick up my car after TC change the mechanic felt that the problem was still there he told me that he can't fix that and advise me to call Chrysler, the girl told me to take it to an other dealer I already have 4 attempts to fix the car, give me an advise, I don't want to go lemon law.
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I changed email address and that slow down some stuff getting to me. (Earthlink sucks!) went with ATT.net
    Call the dealer and tell the Service manager you want to have the zone manager involved to see if you might be able to go for a buy back. Call the dealers general manager and repeat the same thing to him. then call customer care at 800 992 1997 and follow the instructions. Tell then the problems and ask then to help you with a buy back. This should stir some action fairly fast. Good luck.

farout
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Hi guys,

Did any of you ever had a broken axle ? The "axle" is the part between the gear box and the wheel (it turns the front wheel).

Ours broke at 30,000 miles, and the service manager said he never saw another one breaking so soon.

Thanks
    I wonder what you mean by broken. I have been in the auto repair business for over 40 years and have only seen one broken axle. That was because of an accident. Do you mean that a Constant Velocity joint wore out? They seldom go bad unless the boot which encases them gets torn and the lubricant goes out and water and dirt go in.
    If your axle really broke, it would not surprise me, however, considering the way that the Pacifica slams into gear.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Hi rhollis,

By "broken" I mean that my wife was trying to move the Pacifica on ice (wheels spinning at around 7 miles/h) and the front wheels hit our CLEAN concrete driveway, so the front wheels were forced to suddenly stop. We heard a loud BANG, and that was the end of it. It refused to move after that. It did just clunk-clunk-clunk when put in drive. Got it towed, and the dealer fixed it by replacing the axles (both of them !).

What it weird is that my wife drives it very gently, and the gear box shifts like a dream. It never slammed into gear. It's a perfect 4 speed gear box, year 2005.

We had a repair one year ago when the dealer had to remove the front left wheel strut, to replace the strut bearing. Do you thing they disassembled the axle at that time (by mistake ?), the lubricant fell on the floor, and they didn't put it back ?

What is weird, is that they replaced both front axles ! On my service papers is written - black on white - that both axles were broken, which is a mathematical impossibility (probability wise). But here the possible explanation is simpler: I think the left axle was really broken, but they ordered by mistake the right axle instead of the left axle. They didn't want to stock it for years, so they said "screw Chrysler, let them pay for it", so they replaced the right one. Then they obviously found out that the car was still dead (it's written black on white on the service papers that they tried it !), then they ordered and replaced the left axle which fixed the car.

I don't care about the dealer screwing Chrysler. But I can't understand why the left axle broke in the first place, on our driveway ! Do you thing my theory with the lost lubricant stands ?
  • elmo3elmo3 Member Posts: 9
    I have been following the messages for some time about the problems others are having with the Transmission Shudder. My 07 Pacifica is not different than most of your other complaints. I have had repeated tranny flashes and new torque converter; no improvement to problems whatsoever. I am in the middle of legal action and out of the blue, the dealer calls and says they have the "magic computer upgrade" flash for the tranny. It is TSB 21-010-08 but would not give me any details regarding it but indicated it was released on March 6, 2008.

My question is do you know if this is an accurate TSB number or has anyone seen this used already. With what is happening on the legal, it seems it is too much of a coincidence, almost within an hour of my refusal of their settlement offer, for them to call at this point with a magic fix; my guess it is a false number and a diversion tactic by the dealer.

Anyone that has info on this your input is greatly appreciated.
  • frankbjrfrankbjr Member Posts: 7
    Elmo3 I have not heard any information on a new flash. I am in the same boat as you. I have been keeping an eye on the postings as well. I am also in the middle of legal proceedings. The one difference I see is that the dealer that I have been going to just keeps telling me its normal. I have had the flashing and new TC put it. Still shudders. I have had mechanics drive with me at the dealership, they knew how to drive the car to make it shudder and then the service writer puts on the service order that it drives as designed. It's just amazing.
    A new TSB was released on March 6, 2008. It is number 21-010-08. "This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software and replacing the torque converter with one that includes revised friction material." It covers the 2007 Pacifica (CS) with a 41TE or 62TE automatic transmission (Sales codes DFF or DG2). I hope this helps.
    I am scheduled to arbitrate my car again - this will be the second time - on April 4. The first time they neglected to invite me to the arbitration. It has gone to three dealers for five visits with the same list of complaints each time. I guess that if I had just fallen off the turnip truck I might believe that all of the problems are normal, but I know better.
    I just called my Service Manager and the TSB is for real. This is a revised TSB and has been made to correct the TSB reflash that went with the TC replacement . So mine is being done on March 31.
    Just for the heck of it I saw the new Dodge Journey yesterday. There is no comparson with the PAC. It has the same cheap plastic inside of that of the Compass/ Patroit. The 2.4 engine and the 4 speed auto. Made in Mexico this one had 3 rows of seats and sat. radio and cost almost $24,000. Until Chrusler LLC sees that this cheal plastic inside is sub par for even the KIA them Chrysler is on a down hill slide.

farout
    Hey, farout. I just thought I'd let you know. After I called Chrysler, I took my PAC back down to the dealership and left it with them. It took five days, but in the end, they replaced both front struts, rotated the tires, re-aligned the front end, and that was that. The rattle in the front end is gone, and the pull to the right is so slight now, I don't even notice it except under hard acceleration. At highway speeds, it exhibits no symptoms at all. I still have a slightly rough shift from second to third gear, but overall, I am satisfied. I have a 50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, so if the shifting gets worse, I'll look into it. So far, I haven't ever had a "shudder" problem either in mine or my wifes PAC, so I guess I got off lucky.

I hear you about the Journey. I don't even like the way it looks. It somewhat resembles the PAC, but that's about it to me. I'd much rather keep what I have now. Is it just me, or is does it look kind of like a Ford Freestyle? No thanks.

Thanks for all your help with Chrysler's number and information you shared! If I run into any more problems, I'll let you know.
  • erniekerniek Member Posts: 2
    took my 07 Pac in for service 3rd time 9000 miles told them of the shudder problem each time,this time I told them I had a reference # giving to me from Chrysler after so called service manager told me it was a normal thing even after telling me there was a TSB out on it,I got a rental through Chrysler Agreement, when I called next morning if service was done being they had not called me as they said they would, I was told that they had to order parts for it, NEW TC and CLUTCHES,and they will call me when they come in, said I could pick up car Waiting for call, see what happens
    My car is going to be arbitrated for the second time in a couple of weeks. The first time they did not bother to tell me if the arbitrater could make it and he then sat for half an hour without calling me to see if I was coming. This time they are going to do it at the library across the street from my business. They are also going to have an independent person drive the car. I have been suggesting for quite some time that someone drive it. During my first eight months of ownership, my car spent 52 days at various dealers. Chrysler feels that this is normal. Based on that theory, a car should spend 80 days of every year being serviced.
  • hammeringhammering Member Posts: 3
    95 Pacifica - The last few days, it clunks when put into gear. I noticed a small puddle of fluid on the floor where parked. Crawled underneath in back and where driveshaft meets the "gear box" (not a mechanic, not sure of parts), it is leaking fluid. The part leaking is before the axle comes out to the rear wheel. Is this a seal? Is it other? Thanks!
  • monte96monte96 Member Posts: 4
    After the first flash of the tranny PCM, the problem was still there. I took back to them and they did some else to it. After 4 months they are going to replace the T/C. I took it to them on the March 13 and now it March the 24, I called to see what was going on because when I brougth it in they said it would be 1 to 3 days. They said that they had broke a bolt off and waiting for the bolt to come in. I'm going call tomorrom and see whats the deal. If it's not fixed when they do get it ready. I'm calling Chysler and get a buy-back or out of this deal. Any advise would Help!!!!!! :mad:
  • yottsyotts Member Posts: 10
    Monte96 I have had the same thing happen to mine. I had mine flashed two times already. Also when you get it back let them know about a new flash that was issued on March 06 2008 for the PAC's as well. Because I had mt TC replaced and it took three days to get mine back from the dealer. There are three bolts that are made for the replacement TC they come from Houston Tx. I think they are harded because the ones in the factory are softer steel. I asked questions when mine was done so that I could let others here know what is going on with the TC. I bought mine used and have had it in the shop various times for the same thing the tranny shuddering problems. When you get it back let us know what they did to it.
  • dooucdoodooucdoo Member Posts: 19
    Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been following this message board for a few months now, or basically ever since I've owned my 07 PAC Touring FWD. I bought it as a program car with 13,000 miles on it. I noticed the shudder a few days after I bought it. I started reading the messages and became very concerened. Took it in to the dealership where I purchased it, first they told me it was normal, then they replaced the TC. I got it back and the shudder returned, took it back in and they flashed the computer. Shudder returned after a few hundred miles. I called Chrysler and all they told me was to seek a 2nd opinion at a different dealership. I said that wasn't possible and contacted my selling dealership, I just got off the phone with the technician. They ordered another TC and will follow that with another flash to the computer. Man, I hope this works. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this vehicle.

But I found that being overly polite to the service dept seems to be the right way to go. I believe they know what they're doing and are trying very hard to fix the problem.

One thing that concerns me is this very morning, the tech said to me that if this next TC replacement and flash doesn't work, I'm on my own. Chrysler "star" says to use my auto-stick and avoid that rpm range where the shudder occurs. To me, this is completely unnacceptable. I just hope that the shudder does not return, otherwise I'm going to talk to the sales manager and try to get out of this thing.
    I know from reading the previous posts that some people have gone through the buy-back procedure. I also know it does not apply to used vehicles. Has anyone had a slightly used 07 PAC with the shudder and got the dealership to exchange for something else? I'm just wondering how I should approach management if the next TC replacement does not work.

thanks
  • elmo3elmo3 Member Posts: 9
    This message is a followup to my previous...I have an 07 Pacifica (new) and have had all the TSB done including new torque converter. I am in litigation with them and at his point fed up as they tried to settle with token offer for "my inconvenience". I am working with an attorney that specializes with lemon law only and we are getting a private inspection done at the attorney's request and will try to have it fixed one more time at a different dealership with the new March 6 TSB. If that does not work we are going to dismiss the case and file a class action lawsuit which means everyone having this problem is welcome to come aboard.

I sincerely advise starting the process for lemon law but it takes months and Chrysler is not too concerned as their financial problems continue to mount and this problem is not going away. I would also advise including filing against the dealership as well. I will everyone know the result soon but I am not too optimistic. I will leave my attorney information on the next post if the TSB is not successful.
    I wish you the best of luck with your situation and hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction. I actually showed the tech the TSB # you posted previously. I really hope this works. The lemon law does not apply to used vehicles in my state. :mad:

I think my only course of action is to work with the dealership. If anyone has had a similar experience or has any advice, please help
    thanks!
    Working with the dealership seem to be a good plan. However, when three different dealers tell you that there is nothing wrong, or they flash the transmission and the problem is still there, and they replace way bar bushings, strut, and steering rack and the clunk in the suspension is there only worse, it is difficult to work with the dealership. They really need agood comprehensive course in basic road testing, but they do not get paid to drive cars. I am waiting to hear from Chrysler after NCDS sent an independent inspector to drive my car. In five (5) miles he found what I have been telling the dealers since last June. I will keep you posted on the results.
    I bought the Pacifica because I really liked the car. If Chrysler cannot fis it (it has been in the shop for 52 days in eight months which Chrysler says is not abnormal) then why would I want it. Based on Chrysler's theory, an automobile should spend 80 days a year being serviced.
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I was feeling sorry for myself until I read your post about 52 days in the repair shop. I do have to say that both my TC replacements have been done very efficiently. 1 day for the first one and 2 days on this one, because they had to order the parts.

They gave me that BS about the shudder being "normal" due to the transmission's design to keep the RPM level low for EPA regulations. I'm sorry, but a shudder or lugging is not normal transmission operation. "Normal" is when the transmission shifts properly, not shudders like you're driving on the shoulder of the road. The tech's last comment about Chrysler 'star' saying that if after this TC replacement and flash if the shudder persists, I have to use autostick and work my way around that rpm level is a slap in the face to all Pacifica owners who are dealing with this.

I too bought the Pacifica because I liked it, obviously. Now I am regretting it. But because I bought used I don't really know what my options are at this point other than try and work with the dealer and get into another vehicle of the same value. The sales manager did say after the first TC replacement that they would work with me.....I suggested swapping for another vehicle on the lot. He said to take it home and drive it, see if the shudder came back then we'll go from there. Well.....it's back and it's in their hands now.
    It seems rather pointless to have a six speed automatic that has to be shifted manually. Chrysler simply does not seem to have a fix so they keep telling people that it is normal. I have been told that my erratically climate control is normal, the clunk in the front suspension is normal, the quirky shifting and various clunks and shuddering are normal. I think not.
    I have been driving at 70mph and had a tremendous clunk from somewhere under the car - not once, but a multitude of times. I was going to take this car to drive my daughter back to OSU, but when an employee was riding with me, he felt that taking the car on the highway was risky. I took my 116,000 mile T&C instead. I have not had the Pacifica back on the highway for any significant distance since the clunking incidents of last summer, so I do not know if it still does it, but I can imagine that it does. It is like running over something large, which i did not do.
    I agree with you 100%. When they first told me the shudder was normal, I just about came unglued. But I kept my cool and hopefully that will pay off in the end. I don't have any loud clunking going on though I have read about it while researching the TC issue. So you've had yours to 3 dealerships and they all tell you all the symptoms are normal? That is very troubling......I don't know how they can look you straight in the face and think you're going to believe that's normal.

Have you tried writing a formal letter to the dealership(s) complete with copies of all repairs documenting days in the shop? I'm working on one right now in the event this latest repair does not work. I don't have much faith that it will, especially when they tell me it might not. I've yet to read a post from someone who's had the TC replacement done that's actually worked.

I'll try to get some more info tonight when I pick up my vehicle and I'll post asap. The tech mentioned that after speaking with Chrysler, my Pac is going to be the "guinea pig-test vehicle" at least in my area (upper midwest) for this newest, latest, greatest fix. That's always comforting to hear!
    dooucdoo: I thought I would add something that might help or maybe not? Anyway, I have spent a great amount of time researching this "lugging" problem as I refer to it, some call it a shudder. If your problem comes between 1200 to 2000 Rpm in most any gear, but mostly in 6th, then we are on the same page. I notice it when in the RPM range I stated and if there isa small incline in the road.
    The TC replacement did not help much, but a little. However there is a new TSB reflash for the PCM (I believe that's the right one) and Chrysler has been working on this from last Nov. Our PAC goes in on the 31 to have it done. What is not usually told customers is the computer takes several starts and stops to get it all worked in to your driving pattern. My Service manager says up to 4,000 miles. We have just 4,ooo miles from the time the TC was replaced and it is getting smoother, but we still are aware when it does it's thing.
    I am convienced it is a shifting problem that allows the 6th gear to stay ingaged at to low an rpm. 1200 rpm at 50 mph just might be like lugging a stick shift. I have used the auto shift just to see if downshifting helps very much, and it did.
    I am sure that there will be a fix and we will be pleased soon. Remember that the TC and GC both have the same trans and engine in the 2008 models, and there is no problem with them. So that is a ray of sunshine. I don't know if you got the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, but we did and heck I have no problem believeing it will be fixed one way or another. Heck drive it and if it goes out they will have it towed in and go from there.
    If all fails, and you bought it new, let me know and i can repeat to you how to go about a buy back, it's rather detailed and long and I would be willing to give you the info. Several owners have done as i suggested and got great results. Big issue is keep your cool and hold your temper.

farout
    thanks farout,

We indeed are experiencing the same lugging. I'm getting it at various speeds around the 1400 rpm range. Usually at 25, 35, and 50 mph under a slight uphill grade is when it really stands out. After the first TC replacement and flash, the lugging did get better, or should I say less violent but it was still there.

When I called the service dept on Monday they didn't even bother to drive it, they just called Chrysler and ordered a new TC and will follow with the flash/reprogram. I understand how you can downshift to 5th at highway speeds to eliminate the lugging but I guess I don't feel like I should have to do that. The tranny should operate normally on it's own, IMHO.

I bought used - program vehicle with 13,000 miles from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer. I believe they are trying hard to fix it, but it unless Chrysler LLC gives them parts that work, there isn't much they can do. I should get it back tonight and I will give a report of what they tell me and how it drives. I was told the break-in on the TC is 3-400 miles not 4,000.

thanks again
    I just got off the phone with the tech, my Pacifica is ready. The flash to the computer will last until the TC is broken in, then it will return to normal operating mode. He said to call the service dept if the lugging returns but there will be nothing more he can do as chrysler says to him "that's as good as it's going to get". Maybe this is the magic fix, I guess I won't know for 500-1000 miles.
    dooucdoo: IF it has more lugging then let the Service manager Know and call 18009921997 and give them the word it still is not right. Keep Customer Care advised from now on. They will give you a ref. and refer to it every time you call. However I am having this latest reflash done on Monday, so we both shall see. I do know it does take some time for the computer to setup things by the way you drive. Seems a bit odd but that's how it workks. I am interested to hear if you notice any difference when you get it.

farout
    farout:

I just got my Pacifica back, they performed TSB# 20-010-18. At freeway speeds of 75-80 mph initially the engine was turning close to 3,000 rpm in 6th where before it would turn about 2,000. The engine might have been cold because after a few miles the rpm's came back down to around 2,000. Nothing really new to report here, it seems to shift and operate normally, there was no shudder/lugging at that 1400-1500 rpm range under slight load. After the first TC replacement the lugging returned after 5-600 miles so I'm hoping it's gone for good. Let me know how yours turns out, thanks farout.
    farout: My wife has an 07 PAC and then there's mine that you know about already. But between the both of them, I have not experienced the "shudder" that I have been reading about. Is it like driving over a washboard type feeling or a lunge similar what you would expect from a manual transmission when letting off the gas in a lower gear? I'm just curious because I haven't noticed this problem in either one of ours. The only transmission related problems I am experiencing are the rough shift between 2nd and 3rd gear and clunking into reverse. I have had my transmission flashed 3 or 4 times now, but my rough shift and reverse clunk have never really eased up. After the flashes, they go away for 100-200 miles, and then they are right back again. My wife's PAC has never had any shifting issues at all. Her trans continues to perform smoothly. Thanks for the info.
    bulldozer
  • monte96monte96 Member Posts: 4
    After having my pac for 8 days they installed the new TC and the bolt they broke off, have'nt had time to drive it many miles. The few miles I and My wife have driven it I'm having hard down shifting and a rougher ride before they changed the TC. Can anyone tell me what is the break-in period mileage?
    I was told 600-1000 miles. I just got my Pac back yesterday with the newest TC and flash, TSB # 21-010-08. Chrysler (company not dealership) says the lugging may return and if that were to happen, I should use the auto-stick and avoid that speed/rpm range where the lugging occurs. Can you believe that? They actually expect me to go accept that notion.
    The Chrysler standard answer seems to be, that if you aren't happy with your cars performance, you will have to get used to it.
    I drove a 2008 T&C yesterday with the same transmission. It was so smooth that you could not tell it was shifting. If they ever buy back my Pacifica, which they certainly should do (52 days in the shop in 8 months) I will be getting a T&C Touring. I have had no problems with my 2002 in 116,000 miles except for normal maintenance.
    Where is Lee Iacocca when we need him?
    Rhollis: I have had the very opposite experienceI Chrysler has gone out of their way to either fix a problem or replace the vehicle. I have had 13 new Chrysler made vehicles and two were "defective" and Chrysler stepped in and gave me a buy back and a new vehicle of my choice.
    I don't know if you bought your PAC new or used, but a used vehicle is not able to get a buy back. If yours was new and has been in the shop like you say you deserve a buy back ASAP!
    The kep is be cool, be respectful, kind and praise those who help you! These people get hammered with foul talk, threats, and just about everything....but kindness and appreciation. Good luck!

farout
    Today I had the "latest" reflash done on the PAC. So far....it is smooth as glass, with no hint of shuddering.....so far. STAR is pretty confident in this reflash, and I am thinking they just might have done it right. I go To LLoyd Belt in Eldon Missouri and they do a car wash everytime we go for any work no matter what it is. Now that's a rather unique thing is this day and age! I can tell ya that is one reason we have bought four vehicles there too. If anything changes I will let U all know
    I wish you luck. In addition to washing my car two of the dealers here in Cleveland have managed to damage it. One did the rear bumper and the other did the front bumper. Perhaps when Chrysler is teaching some basic road testing techniques, they could teach some basic driving techniques.
  • david613david613 Member Posts: 16
    HI FAROUT
    Unfortunately, I am having the same problem with our 08 T & C (3.8, 6 Spd.), which is the result of the Buy Back of our Pac. Do you happen to know what the latest "reflash" is? is there a TSB # or anything? I'd like to share it w my dealer. I really don't want to have to have this bought back too.
    david613: The latest reflash is 68022304AE.However IF you have the 3.8 L and in a TC I am not sure if that's the same transmision or not. Do you have AWD? To be very up front with you I dont know much about the TC or the GC. Call your dealer and check it out with them.

farout
    dooucdoo: Well the day after we got the reflash done, when we had some places we needed to do, from the time we started moving it was a HUGE mess, the transmission shuddered, and shifted very hard with a thud sound. This was worse than ever, and I was sorta unhappy, but cool. IAfter 115 miles when we got home I called the dealer and spoke to the Service Manager. He said "use the auto stick " as it will force the computer to learn more quickly. (not exact words, but close) Well we had a 200 mile jaunt to go on and I used it as I was told, On the return trip home we left it in the normal drive mode. The PAC worked fine. So I hope it stays just like that. So whoever said the dealer told them to use the auto stick had a pretty smart dealer. That is exactly what STAR says to do.....odd to me, but it worked yesterday. We will see about today.
    our mpg went up and stayed at 27.8 mpg and that is amazing I can hardly believe it!
    According to MOTOT TREND May 2008 it says the Chrysler vehicles that are most likely to be cut in the next five years are; Chrysler Sebring Sedan, Chrysler Aspen, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler JC49 (planned version of the Journey) Dodge Durango, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Commander, Jeep Compass.
    I was told by my dealer look for Chrysler brand to be bigger, more Luxery vehicles, Jeep to have all the SUV's amd Dodge to have the SRT's and the cheaper priced and better mpg vehicles. Makes one think they just might be on the right track The Viper has a ? on if it will go beyond 2011.
    I have a friend in Aburn MI headquarters, and his is in charge of a dept that had more than 160 people in it last year and it has reduced down to below 30. He was offered a early retirement and he is taking it. The production line workers are eventually going to be paid $14.00 an hour, with little if any bennies. Ford has done the very same thing, I don't know about GMC.
    Hows your PAC doing?

farout
    Farout,

Wow, that's not good! Mine's been just fine so far, no lugging/shuddering. I don't know about MPG but I'll track it on my next tank. Almost 28 mpg?!?! Is that what your computer was telling you or did you calculate on your own? The best I've ever seen (after the first TC & flash) was 22 mpg on flat interstate at 80 mph with 4 adults and a kid in the back.

Did your sudder and clunking shifts start immediately after you got it back? Or did it take a day for that to appear? I don't know how they could have said your vehicle is ready to pick up without test driving it first. I have not used the auto-stick at all since I got mine back.

Keep me posted if the shudder returns. I believe we had the same TSB's performed so it will be interesting to see if it works for both of us.
  • gkwyodakgkwyodak Member Posts: 1
    Thanks farout. Do you have that TSB number? I really like my Pacifica. Handles well, plenty of power, and the seats are comfortable. I'm getting 20mpg around town, and on the one trip I've taken-philly to baltimore, 24mpg. Its just weird that it clunks when I put it in park.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    We have the shudder. It is mild. I took it to the dealer yesterday and explained it. They did not even road test it, just pulled out the TSB, ordered the parts, and sent me home in a loaner.

I have a 2007 AWD.
    I told my dealer of the TSB back in August. The car has been there twice since then and they did not do it. I arbitrate later today for the second time.
    dooucdoo: Heck, at 80 mph with 4 adults 22 mpg is fantastic! Most of our driving is at 60 mph, and on the four lane if the spped limit is 70 I do 65 mph. Now Mrs. farout goes 70+ mph. The mpg is actual, if you want the computer says it has several times said 30 + mpg. so it is off, and it only says what it is at thet excact moment.
    The suhdder is a little better, and seems like the more we drive things are somewhat smoothing out. It has been raining very heavy, like horses and hogs, and the noise makes it not as noticable as well.
    You might considering slowing down to a legal speed. and I' ll bet you your mpg will go up. be safe.

farout
    qkwyodak: On my service reciept is says "REFLASH TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE" and under that it says "OLD 68022304AD"
    "NEW 68022304AE"
    So that's all I can tell you. The clunking in and out of park is what we noticed from the first drive we took in our PAC. I think it would be worth your while to call and ask the service manager what he can do for you. That is for cotton picken sure not right. Are you using 87 octane gas? That's all we use, we tried the 91 twice and it made not one bit of difference.

farout