Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    rhollis: I really have sympathy for what you you experienced with Chrysler. I am sure you felt really dumped on and let down. However, you went what you felt was the best way, or maybe the only way you could go. But......there are better ways, if the dealer is supportive and wants to help. I kinda think your dealer was just ignoring the problems. Am I right?

By what I have gathered you did get a new vehicle eventually? I encourage those with a supportive dealership to use that to the best advantage they can. I believe that's the best way to go, conditions permiting that is.

I am in hopes your new vehicle is much more to your liking.

farout
  • bulldozerbulldozer Member Posts: 31
    Farout,
    I called the 1-800-992-1997 Chrysler number 6 times inside of a month. Sure, they are apologetic, sincere, and make it seem like they are really concerned, but they are all reading some kind of cue card or something. No D.M., or any mananger for that matter, has ever called me back at all. I was told by one of the customer service agents to call the dealership, and the G.M. there could get a hold of him faster for me. So I called the G.M. only to be told that the D.M.'s spot has been eliminated - as well as the service department rep's position. ALL my messages were sent somewhere alright! Trouble is, no one is ever going to get them. Everyone else at Chrysler is afraid now to recommend spending any money on anything for fear of losing their jobs! The dealership that sold me my PAC is getting no support from Chrysler at all - service department or otherwise - to assist me with my problems. All you efforts may have been rewarded at the time you had your issues, but I'm afraid my luck has simply run out. Unfortunately for me, Chrysler is worried more about being "bailed out" than to help someone who has had a ongoing problem with their product for over a year now. This is extremely sad! One thing I can say - Hats of to the new service manager at the selling dealership! He offered to work on my PAC like it was his own, and he did exactly that. He accomplished more with that car in 24 hours than any other tech or shop accomplished in the past year. Almost all of the pulling to the right is gone, and he went the extra mile - WITHOUT much Chrysler help - for me. I don't know what he did to make it steer straighter, but it just does. Enough to be able to live with the car for a while, anyway. But when I am able, I will probably just trade out of it - and I doubt it will be another Chrysler product!
  • rhollisrhollis Member Posts: 122
    I went to four different dealers - the car was taken to one of them by a Chrysler attorney, who neglected to tell them what they were supposed to be addressing. At any rate, it is over and done with. Simply a bad experience. It is no wonder that the Big Three are in trouble. They simply do not care.
  • faschulzfaschulz Member Posts: 52
    thanks for your response, for me the last time i spoke with Chrysler before my last visit I told them that I wanted a buy back or replace my car with a good one and they told me that in order to do so I had to send the white paper that is in the lemon law book, after that they contact me and make me bring the car to the shop they show at the second day and say that everything was o.k but order to change engine mounts, insulators and re flash to the transmission, I guess was not all o.k if he did so, and put in the record now the car shifts a lot better.
    with the new mounts the shudder feels less but still there and the stop and go kick back from the transmission still there. the service advisor told me that Chrysler is about to call me and give me some offer, I've been waiting and nothing I'm calling them today to know wat to do.
    My thoughts? I believe that in 2007, when the PAC received the 4.0 L V-6 engine and 6-speed transmission, not enough was done to properly mate the drivetrain to the vehicle itself. From 2006 on back, the PAC had the 3.5 L V-6 with the 4-speed transmission, and there were far fewer drivablity issues such as the ones we are all experiencing. The 4.0 L engine has way more torque than the previous 3.5 L, and of course the 4-speed transmission is geared differently than the 6-speed. Obviously, the motor mounts and isolators on the 4.0 L engine are not up to the task of holding the motor steady during acceleration or hard braking. On my 07 PAC, the firewall insulation directly behind the motor has been rubbed raw by constant contact with the motor cover - an occurence that definitely should not be happening! That is just way too much motor movement. The whole drivetrain is bending around quite a bit to allow that to happen. I have had the motor mounts replaced already, and I bet it won't be long until they need to be replaced again with that much movement under the hood. It also would help explain the need to keep "reflashing" transmission control modules so that the transmissions shift more smoothly. I also believe that something changed right around the first of 2007. A lot of 07 PACs with build dates before 1/07 aren't experiencing as much problems as the ones built after 1/07. My wifes was built in 10/06, and it is quieter, shifts smoother, and rides better than mine built in 2/07. I notice many insulation panels on hers that are not on mine (strut tower covers, underbody insulation, factory undercoat) and I have checked other PACs with similar build dates and find the same occurence. Anyone else have any thoughts on these issues?
    bulldozer: You may have something in what you say. My Pac is a Touring AWD and built in 12/12/06 and mounts and the rubbing you have experienced. The only problem we have had is the TC replacement, and a few reflashes, One thing you might find odd is the 2008 PAC was mode from 7/07 to 12/07. There is 2,500 still unsold in dealers lots. This is according to www.allpar.com/ which has a current list of inventory and sales for the year and month. Allpar.com/ has the best web site that I have found for Chrysler LLC information.

How many miles do you have on your PAC, we have 29,600 miles. The odd thing is with the winter cold we have lost a few mpg's the worst we have gotten now is 18.5 and that is warming up the PAC so it's comfy to get in. We really like the heated seats. The one thing I am not inpressed with is the defroster, it is not the best we have ever had. However the rest of the PAC is great for us.

I sure hope you can get it worked out or a bought back.

farout
  • ScadianScadian Member Posts: 1
    I am SOO glad to have found this forum and really need advice/help. I purchased a new 2007 Pacifica this past February. A week after purchase it needed a torque converter...then it still didn't work correctly after a thousand mile break in...computer was flashed several times. It worked correctly for about 4 months and then mileage started dropping and the shifting was just all over the place...so, last week they replaced a valve gasket head and also said it had been leaking transmission fluid. Well, a week later I'm now getting 50 miles per quarter tank of gas and again shifting is all over the place with surges in the rpm...HELP! :mad:

Really, I would like to know the proceedure to try and convince them to give me a new car...friends are advising using the lemon law...what's the best way to proceed? This was purchased with the $$ from my father who passed...I'd really like a car that works.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :lemon:

Thanks!
  • elmo3elmo3 Member Posts: 9
    I will try to keep this reply short and to the point. I have read a lot of advise in these forums some useful, some very misleading and therefore have limited my responses to any post. I have a PAC 2007 that has the same problems as you have had for all of the 22,000 miles I have on the car. Right now you basically have very little options. Chrysler has no $$ and my attorney says they are offerring little or any settlement dollars for those that take the Lemon Law route. Don't waste your time; Chrysler is all but Chapter 11 and those lawsuits will be worthless. Your only option is to work thru the dealer and insist on a buyback assuming this vehicle was purchased new and not used. Keep taking it back regardless of the inconvenience and work with them to recover your equity and purchase anything but a PAC. Be a polite pain in the %ss but BE Persistant!!!. Do everything in person and document everything in writing. If it is good enough to promise with words it is good enough to promise in writing. Work with the Sales or General Manager and each time you speak with him move him to agree with you little by little. If you leased, you have arbitration and pursue this route immediately. Whatever you do don't accept NO for an answer and I think you will come out on top.
    Good Luck!
  • pengfixxpengfixx Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Signature Series Pacifica that I bought new. At 65,000 mile I now need a new transmission. The engine light came on, was diagnosed with a transmission issue, dealer said I needed a new transmission, recommended a rebuilt. I had my local car repair that I trust take a look and he verified the engine code was legit. Within a week the transmission totally died. Only 1st and 2nd gear working, computer keeps putting car into "limp" mode. Apply gas, car goes nowhere.

Bottom line, is my car with 65K miles needs basically a $3000 repair. My car did not have any of the other transmission issues I see posted around here. Until the engine light went on, all seemed well and good. The only issue I needed repaired on the car was an AC issue which was addressed in year 1 under warranty and has been working ever since.

Has anyone gotten to this point? Basically beyond sharing my experience, I am looking for advice on how to get Chrysler to help out with the cost of repair. The warranty was over at 2yr/30K there is no other coverage on the car.

Whats the best route to get to someone of authority in Chrysler. My car is not at the dealer currently but my local repair shop.

All help welcome, thank you.
  • pengfixxpengfixx Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Signature Series Pacifica that I bought new. At 65,000 mile I now need a new transmission. The engine light came on, was diagnosed with a transmission issue, dealer said I needed a new transmission, recommended a rebuilt. I had my local car repair that I trust take a look and he verified the engine code was legit. Within a week the transmission totally died. Only 1st and 2nd gear working, computer keeps putting car into "limp" mode. Apply gas, car goes nowhere.

Bottom line, is my car with 65K miles needs basically a $3000 repair. My car did not have any of the other transmission issues I see posted around here. Until the engine light went on, all seemed well and good. The only issue I needed repaired on the car was an AC issue which was addressed in year 1 under warranty and has been working ever since.

Has anyone gotten to this point? Basically beyond sharing my experience, I am looking for advice on how to get Chrysler to help out with the cost of repair. The warranty was over at 2yr/30K there is no other coverage on the car.

What's the best route to get to someone of authority in Chrysler. # to call, title to ask for? My car is not at the dealer currently but my local repair shop.

All help is very welcome, thank you.
    I would look in the literature that came with your car and start the arbitration process. It takes some time so you must bepersistent. Have all of your paperwork.
    Scadian: Welcome to the forum. I have actually went into and finished a buy back, so these are not just " I think" or "I someone told me" Here is what I expereinced.

You must have your paper work in order, and copies of work orders. Oiganize you problems by date and places and when you took it in for service. If you have not got your stuff in order so they can make a logical deduction your dead in the water.
    Make sure you have kept up with the service schudle in you Owner manual, this is critical.

Hopefully you are on good terms with the dealers Service manager. The Service manager is going to either help or brake your case. If not make some gesture to heal the communication betwee the tow of you. Do not insult the dealership, the Service Manager, or the Tech's. Make it a positive talk and praise them for something! You need a good repore with these people, as they can really help you.

Ask the Service Manager to please get the Zone Rep involved that you feel this has been more repairs than should anyone should be involved in. Ask to met with the Zone Rep when he comes to your dealership. After getting the Service manager involved go to the General Manager or Owner of the Dealership and tell him what you have endured and what you want and ask him to follow up to make sure this gets done.

Call the 800 992 1997 and even if it's a person from India tell them you want assistance in a buy out. Be insistant they get to some in the US oddice.

Write Chrysler at the Home Office and tell them what has been done and you need help.

Chrysler should respond within couple of weeks. Be patient, and call the Service manager every week to see what he has found out. Be cool do not loose your cool.
    Remember you are the one asking, and they can do it, so be kind respectful, and express your gratitude for any help they can be.

This is a serious game and you need to show you are a loyal customer. They could care less if you threaten them with an attorney, or any other nasty deal. They have heard all these threats and more every day. So the person that is respectful and kind gets the better attention.

Everytime you talk with anyone make a note and keep a running log. This is very important.

I started our buy back Feb. 16, and it was dome basicly by April 4th. so that was fast I thought. There is a charge for the miles you have driven our charge was $ .05 cents a mile. IT can be as high as $ .50 a mile. Start thinking what Chrysler vehicle you want to replace it with. They give you the actual sticker price for your PAC and sell you the replacement for sticker price. We came out very well and I considered it more than fair.

Now I doubt very seriously Chrysler will enter into Chapter 11. Go to www.allpar.com and read the "news" and you can get acurate truth, not what some are dreaming up or wish would happen. I hope this works fro you and all gets fixed for you.

I can tell you I have had our 2007 PAC AWD Touring TC replaced and reflashed twice after it was replaced. In fact we are having it reflashed tommrow. It shifts real good, but when its in the 30. F to -1.F it has a shudder in 6th gear betwee, 1400 rpm to 1900 rpm. I have no issue with reflashes as they often update these for one reason or the other. ThePAC is a great vehicle, and maybe they can fis it onve and for all. Our PAC was made Dec 12, 06 and after the 24 I was told there should be no TC problems. You can ask your Service writter for when it was made. Good luck.

farout
    farout - It had about 19,900 miles on it. The absolute last straw came last week when the right front started slinging some kind of oil or other type of fluid, and the grinding noise I have experienced since they replaced the TC became extremely LOUD. All up underneath the splash sheild on the right front was coated with some type of grease-possibly from a split drive axle boot. I just couldn't take it any more. Chrysler wasn't going to call me back, and I was convinced that the car would never be made right. So I hit just about every dealership in my area (Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Nissan - you name it) and ended up trading it in on a slightly used 2008 Chrysler Town & Country LX. Got a pretty good deal too! Payments AND payoff virtually remained the same. Got it the day before new year's eve. The family loves the T&C. We got a DVD player and a touch screen AM/FM/CD/DVD player, back-up camera, side impact air bags, stability control, traction control - the works. An extremely practical vehicle for a decent price I think. My wife drives the T&C, and I got her 07 PAC that has been flawless since we purchased it. I will probably just end up trading it for a nice truck some day, as I have simply lost faith in the PAC's long term reliability. A shame, because it really could have been a solid vehicle without all the issues! I don't believe I will ever own another one.
    The people at the dealeships that I took my car to seemed to havelittleorno knowledge of how a car is supposed to operate. Even though I offered to drive with them in the car, they were not interested. After three arbitrations, Chrysler finally bought my car back - no write off for mileage. The original agreement was altered after I signed it so they tried to cheat me out of $2,700.00. With the help of an attorney I got that.
    I would still have the car, which I thought would be the last new car I would ever buy, if someone had any idea how to fix it. Throwing parts at thevehicle does not constitute a repair.
    Bulldozer: I am glad you got a T&C and got a great deal. Does your T&C have the 4.L with the 6 speed auto trans? The T&C is a very high quality good vehicle by what I have read.

When we had -1 degree tremp. a week ago we noticed the shudder was there again and had it checked out at our dealer on Dec. 30 th. while they did a oil change and rotate the tires. They said they could not duplicate the condition. I told the Service Manager that is only happened in below 30 degrees. They said they needed over night. So I was prepared to leave it on Jan.6th. Here is what bothered me. The Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Dealer moved all the cars and some of the sales people to the owners GM dealership. As we waited 3 hours for the work to be done I walked the new car lot. There was 15 GM vehicles to every Chrysler made vehicle. I also found out that most of the Chrysler tech's were let go, and the shop has mainly GM tech's. I saw the guy who test drove our PAC and he was not gone long enough to have even felt the shudder. After we left the trans started getting stuck in 4th and 5th gear, and we had to shift it between the auto=stick mode and finally it shifts. This happemed about 4 times in 50 miles going to ourt house.

When we got home I called the other Chrysler dealership about 75 miles away . We have had good service from them long before we started going to the dealership where the PAC was serviced and bought. The Service Manager and I talked for more than 20 min. The Service Manager said he was sure the TC was going out and there was very likely pproblems with 5th and 4th gears. So we take it to him on Monday Jan 5th. We have about 31,000 miles on it. But this is not a huge deal for us as we are retired and we have the Service Contract that covers the rental if it gets kept over night.

We really like the PAC and the AWD as we need the AWD to get up our hill as in snow or ice this PAC is perfect for us. Besides we have a limited lifetime warranty and the lifetime Service Contract. If this happened as much as you had problems that would be a different story.

farout
  • quattrob4uquattrob4u Member Posts: 4
    All,

My 07 Pacifica with 4.0 ltr/6-speed had the TC replaced early on and the low speed shudder issue went away but I have been having another problem in cold temperatures. When temperatures drop to -8 F. or lower, the transmission will not shift into overdrive even after 60 minutes of highway driving. If I pull off the road, shut off and restart the car, it will then usually shift into overdrive as soon as I am back up to speed. If the temperature is -7 F or higher the transmission will shift into overdrive after 5-10 minutes of driving.

Anyone else having this problem in cold temperature driving?

Regards
  • ohlordohlord Member Posts: 2
    I feel your pain. Really. When we bought our 2007 Pacifica new; I fell totally in love with the car! It was huge inside and handled like a sedan. It felt like a magic carpet. That was the first 3300 miles. Then the 'shudder' started. At first I thought it was just a quirk. It did this at about 1500 rpms. Then it started doing it all the time. Yes there is a service bulletin, yes they changed the torque converter, and yes every 3000 miles or so it goes bonkers again. I especially like the way every time it's re-flashed the mileage changes. Oh, and the way it down shifts at a near complete stop, and on rare occaisions it upshifts when you take your foot off the gas in preparation to brake when approaching a stop or traffic light. I've had a tire rod go bad too. Mind you there are less than 19,000 miles on the car. Try a search on Pacifica shudder, there are a lot of us.
    Now I noticed that we have a rust spot on the lift gate. What the??? The car hasn't got a scratch on it. Going back to the dealership again on Friday about the rust, and the transmission again. Good luck, I wish I had been more aggresive with them when this first started. People have gotten new cars. We've been buying new cars for years, this is the worst quality we've ever seen in a Chyrsler.
    My 2007 had slightly over 5000 miles on it when Chrysler bought it back after a year of my trying to get them to do something about it. If they had offered me another vehicle, I would have taken it. All they offered, however, was that there was nothing wrong with the car and that I, apparently, had no idea what I was talking about even though I have been in the auto repair business for forty years.
  • elmo3elmo3 Member Posts: 9
    All,

It is sad to continue to see everyone experiencing the same problem. My problems mirror yours to the letter without the issues of rust. For better or worse, I have settled my lawsuit that was pending in District Court and unfortunately not pleased with the whole outcome but it is what it is. I will never purchase another Chrysler vehicle. I am currently 18 months into a 36 month lease and want out of this vehicle. Does anyone in this forum have experience trading in a vehicle with this much time left on a lease? If so, I would appreciate your feedback.
    Farout-
    Our T&C actually has the 3.3 L V-6. I felt it might be too small of an engine for such a big vehicle, but after driving it, it really does OK. Gas mileage is really good so far, and it is capable of all the around town stuff we do. The real challenge will be when we take it to the mountains this August. It does have an auto-stick design for the higher gears, so we will see. We only go up there once a year, so I don't think it is going to be a huge issue. A LOT more room for luggage and stuff, though-especially with the stow and go compartments!
    Now, about the other PAC - I experience no shudder at all with it. But it does a few other wierd things I'm starting to notice. When taking off from a start, it slams into gear when you press the gas, and you can hear it "bump" under the hood. When coming to a stop, it slams when it downshifts. Don't brake too hard, or it will still be shifting after you have already come to a complete stop! I know better than to take it in to the dealership - it will all just be normal, or they won't be able to duplicate the condition. I believe completely that there is a design flaw in the 2007 and up model year Pacificas with the 4.0 L motors and 6 speed transmissions. The powertrain is just not mated properly to the chassis, both physically and electronically. I will wait patiently until I can trade the car in and not lose a ton while doing it rather than go through the headaches and nightmares of multiple service department visits again. Seemed like every time they touched it, something else went wrong! Oh, and I STILL have yet to recieve a call back from any higher ups at Chrysler from my first PAC issues. I called them 7 or 8 times, but the folks at Chrysler Customer No-Care were just way to kind and could do absolutely nothing. I don't plan on going that route with this PAC!
    bulldozer: I know for sure what is causing your "bump" Your PAC's motor mounts are shot, kaput, gone, broken, damaged, and need replacing. This very thing has happened to me as well in the last three weeks. I took it to my selling dealer on Dec, 30, and I said I thought it was the transmission. They took it for a ride. "can not duplicate the problem" case closed! I took it to a dealer we have used before about 75 miles from us. They test drove it, and they said motor mounts were totally gone. They are installing the new mounts aon Jan. 13th. The Service manager said the bad mounts are very common and are factory mounts generally gone by 20,000 miles. I am pleased I did not take the word of the selling dealer.

The dealer we bought our PAC from also has a GM dealership. In December the owner moved the Chrysler Dealership into his GM dealership. GM and Chrysler did not give the owner to OK to do this, and there is s problem with his joining the dealerships. When he joined the two dealerships he let 22 techs and workers go. All I saw was GM Techs. There are 15 to 20 GM vehicles to one Chrysler product. I think he is going to either sell the dealerrships or close it all together. At any rate I doubt I will return there unless it needs to be towed in for some reqason.

The PAC's made after Dec. 06 don't seem to have these problems. The same setup is used in the TC with the 4.L 6speed auto, and so far I have not heard of any 08 haveing any problems. My PAC was made in early Dec. 06, so I think this explains our situation.

I have no intention in getting a buy back or anything else. the LifeTime Limited Warranty is going to replace whatever the PAC needs. I am retired so I can invest the time. We are so pleased with the rest of the PAC it's worth working things out.

farout
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    I have had similar issues. When it is really cold, sub-zero temps, it does not like to go into OD right away. I usually give it a minute or so and if I use the manual shift and return it to auto, it works fine. Also, if I let the car warm up properly before driving, it does not happen at all.

Keep in mind, 5 below, 10 below, 15 below temps are insane. They don't make cars to run on the moon. Our Saab does similar goofy things, though, it usually sits in our heated garage, so we don't notice. Fluid is fluid...when it gets cold, it thickens-up.

Also, that car may be doing this on purpose as a safety mechanism to protect the transmission to keep the speed up...not sure there.

But, 60 minutes of highway driving does seem WAY to long.
    The transmission will not shift into overdrive until it is up to operating temperature. Even in Siberia this should not be more that 10 or 15 minutes.
  • Biggd1999Biggd1999 Member Posts: 19
    I bought my 07 Pacifica in April 08 with 19k miles on it. It's 4.0L, AWD and I am also experiencing all the shudder issues as many of you, the famous clunking in the front passenger suspension and drivetrain vibration when sitting in park or at a stop light while brake is applied and car in gear. I can actually feel the seat vibrate. I have kept all my work orders from the dealer as I take it in. The last time I was in I asked them specifically to check the TC and they blew me off. They couldn't duplicate any of the issues, I took a ride with two techs at different times,one said he could feel the shudder and there is something wrong, the second said he couldn't feel anything that it's just like every other Pacifica out there.

Here is the log

1st visit - Front end alignment to fix crooked steering wheel.
    2nd visit - Replaced left outer tie rod end to fix clunk in front end.
    Replaced both front and rear engine mounts for the shudder\vibration issue
    3rd visit - Replaced inner tie rod and set toe to attempt 2nd fix at the clunking
    Reset the alignment to fix it from the 1st visit
    4th visit - Replaced rear motor mount (mount seperated from rubber)
    Replaced strut and mount and aligned the front end for clunking 3rd time!
    Flashed TCM per TSB for shudder
    5th visit - Could not duplicate shudder\vibration, clunking or a rattle when the car starts after it has sat for a few days.

The car is currently at 35,800 miles and I am about ready to just go park it at the dealer and tell them I don't want it back until it's fixed. I am tired of it and all the hassle of taking the car in not to mention the warranty is almost up.

I have no clue if the TC was ever replaced and when I mentioned it they also told me my car was manufactured after the TC issues. I am at a loss here, can I demand them to replace the TC? From reading on here that is the issue.. The shudder happens between 1500-2000 rpms and it doesn't matter what gear I am in. If the rpms are above 2k there isn't any shudder.

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated !
    Biggd1999: Welcome to the forum. As I look over your list it seems like there have been a viariety of issues looked at. Does your Service Manager want to help you, and is he responsive? If he is than you have a good dealer so stick with that dealer. If not then that is a horse of a different color.

It makes no difference if you bought you PAC new or not, you can ask the service dept. for the build date and the in service date. My PAC was made on Dec. 12, 06. And it was near the end of those with TC issues. You can request the service record for this PAC, that will tell you if the TC has been replaced as well as other issues.. If you did not buy a Chrysler Service Contract you should id you intend to keep the PAC. Too bad you did not get the Lifetime Power Train Warranty.

the rpm's are exactlly what is the same as everyone elses rpm shudders. Mine only does it in 6th gear. My TC was replaced already but the dealer is thinking the TC needs to be replaced again. I agree, we need to just get the shudder to happen when the test drive happens. I hope this helps. Let me know if there is something else.

farout
    Hello again last monday the guy from Chrysler called me and told me to took my car again for a test drive with the service manager so can he anowledge that the problem still in my car and based on that he can take a determination in what to do at the beginning I told him that I have been doing that the last 16 months and takes much of my time every time I drop the car, he told me that the report from the people that he sent said that the car was working fine ,even that he order to change all engine mounts, insulators and re flash transmission so at the end he felt something I guess. I spoke with one lawyer that I have as plan B just in case thinks goes wrong for me and told me to go to his office that he was planning to do something more than the lemon law and of course told me to bring my check book because there were some court fees involved, that did not sound right to me I just want my money or a replacement in good working condition I don't want to harm any one. After this I took the car to the dealer for the test drive they felt all the shudder and kick back from the transmission in 0 to 10 to 0 they are about to call Chrysler on monday I'll keep posted.
  • juleszeejuleszee Member Posts: 16
    Sounds like you are having some luck. Chrysler will not help me with my Pac and neither will the Lemon Law, Cant find a Lawyer around here that will with it. hruey dont offer abritration where i live.
    My Transmission is bad, vehicle doesnt start all the time. They think my computer is going out ( according to another shop) no warning lights etc.. Its a piece of junk. Cant get help anywhere with it. I cant even trade it in, the other dealerships tried to drive it and they wouldnt even give me 10,000 for it. they offered me 9800.00 .. I was shocked!! when it was new paid well over 32,000 for it. talk about a decline in value. I just dont know what to do. any advice would be great. :mad:
    I looked at the NADA & KBB yesterday. The PAC AWD Touring fro the 2007 is as followes. NADA clean trade in $ 14, 475. Clean Retail $ 17,025
    KBB Clean trade in $ 13,000 nas clean retail $ 17,615.

I deffinately think this is horrid! But, the auto industry has tanked even for used vehicles. For me I am in over my head in upside down equity, and how! However remember that you can buy a new 2008 PAC AWD Touring for less than half the sticker right now. New Chevy thucks, Dodge and Ford are at the auto auction not even selling afor half sticker price. No matter what vehicle the market is as low as we will ever see.....I hope By what I have read and heard this auto industries is far from being over, 2009 is expected to be just as bad or maybe even deeper problems. I think we will see the time that you will order the vehicle of your choosing and get it in 60 days. Much like in the late 1040's and early fifties..

The best solution is to ride this out. That is unless you are planing bankrupcy, or willing to keep paying for a dead horse I don't see any other options. The LifeTime Limited Powertrain Warranty is a major reason to keeping my PAC and we really like the vehicle.

farout
    farout: Thank you for the information. I am taking the car in tomorrow morning to have it looked at. I have not had any contact with the service manager yet as the desk people were very helpful until this last visit. When I called to make the appt I spoke with a certain individual that has been more than helpful until this call. When I mentioned who I was she took an attitude. The last time I was in there I drove an 08 with less than 100 miles on it and it was worse than my 07 and it was brand new. Her reply to me when I mentioned my name was " Didn't you drive another pacifica the last time you were here and you said it was just as bad as yours" I told her yes I did, but that doesn't mean there's not something wrong with my car.

I think I will call the dealership prior to my arrival tomorrow and speak directly with the service manager with all my paperwork prior to taking it into the service dept for check in. I will update as to what happens tomorrow.
    I think that the service people become frustrated because the Chrysler engineers do not know how to fix the problems. Simply throwing parts at the car as they did with mine (converter, sway bar busings, motor mounts, right front strut, steering rack, and reflashing numerous times, and telling me that various problems were either normal or not experienced) did not make any improvement. In fact, the car was always worse after it left the dealer. It is no wonder that the car manufacturers are in trouble.
    rhollis: I think it's NOT Chrysler engineers that don't know how to fix the problems. The real problem is the Tec's don't want to spend the time waiting for the STAR system and often that takes 15 minuets to get connected and on line with authorization to fix the problem in the correct way. Ther tec's get paid the same to throw parts at the problem as they precieve it to be. The people you had work on your PAC proved that very clearly, didn't they?

The evidence is there, there are many 07 PAC's that have no problems after the TC was replaced, if the tec's got the correct TC to replace the old TC with. The place that did my TC a year ago last Dec. ordered the wrong one. The place I go to now said the job was done wrong. I can't fault the engineers for a tec's laziness in not contacting STAR. The dealership I bought four vehicles from has all but closed, so there is no reason to get upset, at least as far as I am concerned.

Re flashing is common, especially if a driver has abused the vehicle, or the computer has a glitch or the vehicle has been driven hard.

Rhollis, ALL vehicle manufacturers are in trouble now. This is a world wide trouble, not just US made vehicles by any means. Name me one vehicle manufacturer that offers a Limited LifeTime Powertrain Warranty, besides Chrysler. You can't, no one else does. If you think Chrysler screwed you bad, you should read what GM or Ford does with owners that got defective vehicles. They pay big mileage fees, and low KBB is what you just might get.

As I recall you faced a up hill battle because of situations that just did not work out for you. However you did eventually get satisfaction, even if it was not exactally what you wanted. I too, have had a buy back on a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. I spent hours and hours in the customer's waiting room. I made 25 trips to the dealer which was almost 100 miles per trip. I did not get exactally what I wanted, but there was give and take on Chryslers side and mine. I think Chrysler got a better deal than me, but I still consider it fair. The fact is it just is not worth the effort to continue complaining about how I feel. I was on the Jeep Liberty CRD forum, when I got my buyback deal, I saw that a number of those in the forum liked their CRD's, even with the problems that were in the diesel engines, they were pleased. I left the forum and moved on to this forum. Once in a while I drop a note just to say hi and see what's happening.

RHOLLIS MAYBE IT'S TIME TO QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW RAW A DEAL YOU GOT, AND MOVE ON TO YOUR NEW FORUM. Frankly I am pleased with my PAC and nothing you say is going to help anyone here. I wish there were a better way to say I am sorry it did not world out better for you, but enough is enough. If you can't say something good, don't say it. No bad feelings, just there is nothing left for you to complain about. Please, time to move on.

farout
    I took the Pac in this morning and I told them again about the shuddering in 6th gear between 15-2k rpms and I made a point to make sure they know if the car kicks down into 5th gear it goes away. He made a point to let me know with the roads the way they are it will be hard for them to duplicate it. I told him it did it on the way there so I am sure they will feel it. Well that was at 10am, 4:30 I still had no call back from them so I called and spoke to the service guy I dropped it off with.

He told me they took it for a ride and they didn't feel the shudder at all. I asked them if I should come get the car and he told me no they want it over night. I told him I have no clue how they cannot feel it. I told him I would come in and get some items out of the car. When I got there I talked with him about the issues and he told me that I am the first person to ever complain about these issues to that dealership. I have a really hard time believing that! He told me that he would call me tomorrow after they got a chance to look at it again.

I also explained another issue to him that has cropped up. When I first bought the car when I filled the tank up the display would say about 422 miles to empty. Just recently it has dropped to 366 when I fill it up and a 25 mile trip I lose over 50 miles on the display and I have noticed my gas mileage has taken a dump. I didn't have a clue how to explain this to them so that what I said. My wife told me this morning (been gone for 4 days) that the car has been having a really hard time starting in the morning also. It sits in a garage so it's not in the full effect of the -10-0 temps we have been having lately. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I will update tomorrow when I hear back from the dealer. The car is about 50 miles from out of warranty also.. ugh..
    Biggd: Some body needs their mouth washed out with soap. You have been lied to, as I would guess you knew. This dealer needs to check the date this PAC was made, if it was befor Jan, 2007 the TC should have been replaced. The shudder issue is very common knowledge. Even with 50 miles over warranty Chrysler should take care of this problem. You might have to pay a $100 deductable.

The starting problem chould be several things. How many miles do you have on your PAC? Make sure you have some proof from this dealer they tested the PAC, should be a work ticket or something. Is this a pretty small dealer? I hope when we hear from you next they have agreed to fix the PAC. Eager tohear.

farout
  • rumzrumz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 pac it has a shifting problem around 30 and 55 mph and i took it back 5 times and they said it has something to do with chrysler having to meet mpg, what ever. I had a shaking problem also and the put a motor mount in and it still does the same thing and i called chrysler and they said they haven't had any body else call about this problem ya ok please help
    Who died and left you in charge?
    I received a call from Chrysler and Richard the person that is helping me told me to go to the dealer and see another car of the same sticker price , when I find it to let him know.
    I really don't like any other Chrysler car, I think the town and country is not as nice it used to be and the Aspen is V8 ,I dont know if have my money back would be an option?
    Well I called the dealer today and talked them. They drove the PAC 25 miles and said they cannot feel any shudder in the car at all. He told me he doesn't know what else to do for me since this is the 2nd time I have brought it in and they can't detect it. I asked him to look up 21-002-07 REV.B he told me that it was not listed in the TSB's for my car. He said 21-008-07 REV. A is listed and they performed that on my car already. I told him that the REV. B supercedes REV. A. He told me people search on the web and find TSB's that don't pertain to their cars all the time.

The MFG Date on my car is 2-07. Is that why the REV. B TSB isn't listed for my car in the computer? He said that's directly from Chrysler's computer system.

Now remember, the dealer I have been taking it to is not the dealer I bought the car from, it's just the closest dealer to my house. The car has 35,962 miles on it now that they racked them up driving it to not diagnose the problem I felt driving home. If I take it back to the dealer I bought it from I will be out of warranty. Do you think it's worth the time to see if they will let me bring it in and look at it knowing it will be out of warranty when I get there?

I am just soooo tired of the run around and all the crap I have been dealing with. Is it time to call Chrysler directly ?

I appreciate all the info and help..
    faschulz; Having had a buy bqack less than 19 months ago, I can say what experience I had. Tbuy back is take it or Chrysler will keeep trying to fix yours. There are 2,500 new 2008 PAC's in the US brand new. The 2008 PAC's don't seem to have the problems the 2007's did. I believe the T&C is a very respectab;e vehicle. There is no AWD. You really don't have to pick a vehicle that is the same price. We choose a Compass and it was quite a bit less. That was a huge mistake to choose a Compass! They were carp in 07. With less tha 10,000 miles we tarded in on the PAC, whic we really like.

We started the bbuy back on Feb. 16 and got the Compass on April 4th and all the paper work was done by May 1st. The Chrysler 300 has AWD and pretty good mpg and is a good buy as well. Let us know how you make out.

As a note go to the Chrysler web site and you can search the country for the vehicle you want and they will get it for you. Our PAC was almost 500 miles from us.

farout.
    The TC replacement TSB was good for those PAC"s made befor 01-07. So the Service advisor is correct. I would call your selling dealer ASAP. That is who would be involved with a buy back IF you can get Chrysler to buy it back. Did you buy it used? If so there is NO BUY BACK. so all you could hope for is customer good will on Chrysler's part.

If you bought it used, BUY A SERVICE CONTRACT NOW WHILE YOU CAN. Maybe the selling dealer will help you.

farout.
    rhollis: You have had enough time to belly ache and boo boo! No one left me in charge, and I am rather tired of reading your constant bad mouthing the Pacifica. I have tried to be supportive and encourage your, but if I am rather tired of your bad mouthing the PAC maybe others are too but just to kind to say so. You got a better vehicle, did you not? Why not go and play wuth the fellows that have you type of toys! Sorry dude, but if you stay say something nice once in a while.

farout
    Great... I had a feeling that he was right once I looked at the mfg date on the car. I did buy the car used with 19k miles on it. I will have to look at getting the warranty now so in case something happens I am covered. I will also call the selling dealer tomorrow and talk to my sales guy..

Before I owned this car, I had bought a loaded '06 PAC with the 3.? ltr in it. It was perfect except for the clunk in the front suspension. I took it into the dealer by the house for service and they notified me the front frame was damaged and I should contact the selling dealer asap. I took it in there, they gave me a rental while they checked it out. The public relations guy called and said he apologized for his dealership missing that in the cars inspection and gave me a choice of either, naming a price that I thought was fair for the damage and they would cut me a check or come in and pick out another vehicle. Well of course I picked out the lemon I have now... so I am not sure how far the selling dealer is willing to help me since this will be the second time I try to bring a car back.. ugh.. I have no luck..
    They replaced my motor mounts today. The PAC runs smoother, and thats amazing. There is still some shudder at 55 mph in 6th. The shudder is not near as bad, but I notice it more going up a small hill just befor it down shifts. Maybe much of the shudder is motor mounts.

farout
    No, you don't have bad luck. If there were 1 lemon in a lot of 10,000 vehicles I would pick it! I NEVER buy a vehicle without a extended warranty. I have bought 13 new vehicles and every one of the warranties paid off for me. Buy getting a extended warranty even if the vehicle has problems I am covered.

You might see if there is some way Chrysler will sell you the LifeTime Powertrain warranty. I sure hope you are able to get it fixed. I always pray before I drive, or go in for service work! I really do. I am a Southjer Baptist and The good Lord has surely taken some real burdens off me over the years I' ve lived so far.

farout
    farout: today they called me from Chrysler they told me that the paper is ready and go to see another car, I saw a TC all loaded with a sticker price of $38,900 that I can get for $33,000 the sticker price of my Pac was $33,325 , the gril told me that I responsable for the difference in sticker prices, she also told me that they will deduct for the replacement $3000 for the miles used, that if I decide for the buy back they will take $6000. I don't know what to do because at this time I can get very good deal wih the money on hand , I have paid $21,000 so far and the Pac has 24,000 miles how does it work for you?
    please let me know.
    faschulz: We had 28500 miles on or Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) and we paid $ .05 cents per mile which was just over $ 1,4000. Chrysler also paid us for the tire cover and mud gards. We owed just about what was left over after deducting for the mileage. We took out a loan for the difference and tax that was apid to the state. You are paying $ .12 1/2 cents a mile. I have heard the usual charge is $ .25 a mile. You could ask if they would consider $ .10 cents a mile, mothing lost by asking. The PAC has lost about 65% of the value it had when new. So this doesn't sound like a bad deal. If this gets you a vehicle that fits your needs that's what is really important.

If you bought a Chrysler Service contract with the PAC that should transfer over, as they do this with buy backs. If you did not get a Service Contract buy a Max Care Service Contract and then you will have the Lifetime Limited Powertrain and the rest of the vehicle will have Lifetime warranty on the rest of the TC as well. That's what we did on the PAC.

Sorry I did not get back sooner, I just got notice from Edmunds today, rather slow.

farout
    farout:
    I called chrysler as you told me and spoke with Richard, I told him that I want to buy other Chrysler car and in this time go sticker price vs sticker price was unfair because to get a similar equiped car is $5000 to $7000 more, I told him that I was been told to drive the car at least 5000 miles for the torque converter to break in that is 15,000 miles, he told me that he was about to call the gril from impartial services ,by today they will have the new figures for me.
    I have seen three options 1) chrysler pacifica signatures 2008 series 0 miles fully loaded gps etc... for $25,000 out of the lot, 2) chrysler aspen 2009 all extras for $33,000+ tax . 3) Town and country all extras no gps $32,000 + tax
    I have driven the three and the one that drives better is the aspen but I'm afraid of $5 galon gas again even that this car works in four cilinder mode at low speeds and highway, average in city is 13-15 and highway would be 18-23 what do you think?
    I cannot comment on the buyout your going through as I bought my Pac used and have got nowhere with the dealer so I am now out of luck as it's out of warranty. They could not duplicate any issues the last two times I took it in and now that it's out of warranty they know I won't be back. I am thinking of trading it in on something else, I absolutely like the Pac but the problems I have far out weight the like I have for the car. Good luck on the buyout!

I would like to comment on the gas mileage of the Aspen. I own an '07 Durango with the 5.7L Hemi.. By far this is the most favorite vehicle I have ever owned.. I think you would be very happy with the Aspen as it's just a Durango in a little nicer clothes.. I average about 20-22 mpg on the highway and City driving is good when I can keep my foot out of it.. absolutely love the sound of the engine!

Good luck with whatever you get.. hopefully you stay away from the Pac's as I have also drove an '08 with 99 miles on it and it was worse than mine..
    I would look at the Chrysler that fits your needs best. The Aspens and Durango are like the PAC's ...no longer being made. I think a vehicle no longer being made might depriate more than the T&C. IF AWD is not important to you the T&C would be my personal choice, if I lived in a place that did not need AWD which I do. As for the price of gasoline, if we get into a depression gas could become a major issue again. If the T&C has the 4. L and the 6 speed transmission, that's a great combination, I think. But don't take my word. Go and talk to the Service manager,and service Tec in the shop, see what they think.

I sure would not believe Comsumer Reports on anything. There is a great bias against the American big three and I would not buy anything but a vehicle from the Big Three. I have had 17 Chrysler made vehicles. I know more about them and I have been pleased. Now All makes of vehicles are in reality about the same. All makers of vehicles have some weakness that's unique to them. Generally if you keep the upkeep on a vehicle up it should last to at least 150,000 miles and even more.

Just as a note, me personally, I would honestly pray and ask the Lord for His help in making this selection. (I am a retired Pastor so I ask the Lord for direction a lot)

I think you are on the right path. Keep us informed.

farout
    farout look at the numbers that they sent me from impartial services they look bad for me also they are not considering the refund that they gave me for $2,900 of the extended warranty they sold me when I bought the car, take a look and let me know how this numbers compare to yours.

The breakdown of figures pertaining to the repurchase of your vehicle is as follows:

CREDITS
    Down Payment $ 9,499.03
    Net Trade In Allowance 0.00
    Monthly Payments Made (# payments) 16 X
    $424.80 (mo.payment) 6,796.80
    Flat Amount 0.00
    Aftermarket Accessories 0.00
    CREDITS SUBTOTAL $ 16,295.83 *

DEBITS
    Rebate(if Applicable) $ 0.00
    Mileage/Usage Fee 5,847.79
    Damage (Requires Estimate) 0.00