Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• gthosgthos Posts: 15
    I live in Florida and have 2500 on my 2007 Pacifica. Have been fighting the same problem (and others for six months now). Supposed to be meeting the district manager next week (whatever that may mean). I'm curious to know what the "buy back" is that you referred to. Please advise. Thanks
  • please let me know about the buy back how does it work?

I love my car but simply does not drive like a normal car the transmission is always with problems (hard down shift,shudder at 40-45 and 55 Mph,my car is 2300 miles now. I'm going to drive a 08 may be they fix the problem, please let me know.
  • I am headed back for the 3rd service this month and have only had my new car for 3 months. My 2007 Pacifica shakes and shudders between 25 and 40 miles and thuds when I put it into gear. I had wondered if I had put the wrong kind of gas in it or if it was just "breaking in." It is a miserable drive and just feels as if the transmission is going to drop in the middle of the road. Also, interstate ramps become scary because it always rears its ugly head when I am getting on or getting off. Thanks so much for your postings and for helping me understand what is going on. Will let you know what happens after this but I have had enough. Thirty grand is just too much money to throw at a vehicle that drives like a old jalopy. I really love the look and the seating but I'm done with the drive! Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    I have had a buy back on a 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel in April of this year. It takes about 3 months to complete, and Chrysler is very very fair!
    We had the shudder you are having. We had it at 26 to 40 depending on the RPM's. Took it to the dealer for the 3000 mile oil change. The service tec. noticed there was a TSB on the transmission. He reprogramed the PCM or the TCM I am not sure which. That took care of the problem! The computer takes a while to retrain it's self and then it runs just fine.
    We are at about 5,700 miles now and we got the Pacifica Touring AWD Aug. 31. What is amazing to us is the mpg! 22 loaclly and 24 to 25 on a trip! That's better than the Compass we traded in on the Pacifica. As I understand the Pacifica 2008 will be the last for the Pacifica's. Perhaps as early as early as dec.31. It might be that Chrysler might make the new mini van the JOURNEY in Windsor. The Journey is a smaller van on the Avenger platform, and has 3 or 4 mor inches on the wheel base. I saw it in AUTO WEEK, I tink. The Journey is due out in mid 2008 as a 2009.
    Oh well there is a nother rabbit I chased. I would try a different dealer if the dealer you are using has not been able to help you.
    Hope this helps ya.

farout
  • I had the exact same problem, the dealer checked the transmission fluid level and it was too high. It has been two weeks since they lowered the fluid levels and I haven't had any of the same shuddering anymore. They also reprogammed the on board computer. The dealer also told me that the fluid levels have to be an exact amount or else it can cause the transmission to act the way it does or it can blow the seals in your transmission. I hope this info helps because it has helped me.
  • Hey guy's does anyone have the TSB number for the torque converter replacement???? I have a 07 AWD limited which has the same shudder problem as everyone else's. I took it to the dealer and they reprogramed the module but still has the same problem. I will be going back to the dealer on wednesday. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.
  • I haven't got the problem fixed yet, but I received a call that the new torque converter has arrived. In post #53 they mentioned this TSB #21-002-07 REV.B. Should know if it is the same one the dealership is referencing my problem. Hope it helps...
  • I recently purchased my pac about 3 months ago. I had a bad vibration in the steering wheel and the front end road rough hearing popping noises and also the same shudder problem. After only having the vehicle 1 wk I took to are local dealership they had it about 2 weeks i thought i had a bad tire or needed balanced. My dad owns a small repair shop had them rotate and balance them. Needless to my surprise it had 2 outer tie rod ends loose and one inner well the inner tie rod end is serviced with the rack n pinion assembly. I only have 30K miles on this vehicle. The shudder I was told that they couldnt find it and that was normal for most pac. try using higher octane gas wrong why would it only do it at about 25-30 mph downshifting. I told them about the tc problem they said it doesnt do it for them. Im taking it back in and I showed them this reviews and the tsb as well we'll see whet happens
  • I gave them the TSB #21-002-07 REV.B and they said it did not exist. They only found the TSB for the module reprogram. I will push the dealer to have the torque converter replaced. Please let me know your TSB#....Thanks again!
  • Can you please post your TSB#. When the converter is replaced. Thanks!
  • I just got off the phone with Chrysler (800) 992-1997. They opened up a file and forwarded it to the regional manager. They said he will then discuss the problems with their engineers. I asked for the TSB# and this is what they gave me: TSB# 21-002-07
    ____

Yesterday was my daughter's 7th birthday. It was a cold evening so we went and saw the "Bee" movie, and were then going to go to her favorite restaurant the "Spaghetti Factory". Hurrying back to our 'family' car to get out of the near freezing winds, the remote doorlocks wouldn't work. I quickly unlocked the door manually and jumped in the car, pressed the unluck button and none of the doors unlocked. Thinking the battery may be low or dead I started up the car... started right up. Then tried the doorlock button again, still did not work even with the car running. I had my 70 year old father, my wife and three kids outside in the cold. Quickly I reached around and started to unlock the doors from the inside. Even the manual lock was broken on the rear passenger door where my wife and 2 year old and 3 year old son's were waiting to get in. After getting everyone in the car, the dash panel was blinking and the heater would not come on. What a car! After a minute or two of blinking lights eveything began working 'normally'. We scrapped the dinner and decided to go home and open some presents for my daughter...
    ___

That was last night. Today I dropped the car off at the dealer and called Chrysler.

File #16918018
    Is the 800 phone number you posted for your local dealer or to Chrysler Corp? Thanks
  • :lemon: hi again ,just waiting to reach 3,000 miles to take it again to the service (they told me is the time it takes to break in the torque converter) for me that sounds not normal I have had at least 25 cars in my life and none has behave like this one. I would like to know if any of you have any problem when you are driving at low speeds for short distance ej.. bumper to bumper traffic and feel the transmission downshift so abrupt that pull the car foward,I'm still having shudder problems, if I don't get it fix this time, I'll start lemon law in my car.
    by the way my Pacifica is a 2007 spring special with 2500 miles.
  • That does not correspond with my experience. We noticed the shudder before 700 miles were on the car... and it has only gotten worse. With 3,600 miles on it they are putting in the new torque converter.

By the way, my Pacifica is the 2007 Spring Special also with AWD. Good luck.

The 800# I posted is, I believe, for Chrysler Corporate.
  • I have an '07 Spring Edition too & had the tranny shudder. I took it in to Chrysler...the tech drove it & confirmed the discrepancy. I drove home & three days later they called to inform me the part came in & when would I like to come in to fix it. I brought it in 2 days later. The repair took 2 days (torque converter replacement) & all is well. While it was in the shop, I had a remote start installed ($400). The price was a bit steep but it was installed by a factory store so I will not have any Warentee issues. It is GREAT! :)
  • thanks for your response, I'm taking my car to service again on monday I'll keep you informed.
  • I loved this car when I first got it, but ran into the torque converter problem just under 3000 miles. The dealership replaced the torque converter, (I am amazed, 1 day turnaround?! he says they've done several) Now although the shudder and other odd shifting problems are gone, the car is much louder at low gears and it seem to be using a LOT more gas. I'm watching the mileage real close now. anyone else seen this??
  • This is exactly our issue. Had the torque converter replaced at around 1,000 miles but now the engine is really loud when accelerating between 0 and 35. We used to get around 17mpg (we have an AWD Limited) and are down to 13.6 around town.

We just had it back in the shop with our complaints and they reprogrammed the computer thingy and so we're hoping for the best.

We have under 6,000 miles on this car. Arrgh. ;)
    Well, the dealer that I bought from didn't really seem to be seriously interested in my problems, although they told me they wanted the District Manager to look at it (after my 3rd visit). I decided to go to another dealer this coming Monday. However, the car overheated on me yesterday (just one more problem) and I had it towed to the 2nd dealer. Their service manager looked the shuddering situation up and agreed right away that it could be a software reprogramming problem (1st) or torque converter (2nd). I mentioned the horrendous MGP and he felt that a torque converter problem could be putting more strain on the car and the MPG might actually improve after replacement. Odd that you seem to be experiencing just the opposite. Good luck to us all.
    I can only say that our 07 Pacifica Touring AWD seens to be fine. I doubt the noise should be there, I would suggest you contact the dealer Service manager ASP and ask what he thinks.

farout
  • Just picked up my AWD 2007 Pacifica. So far so good. The TSB on the invoice is TSB# 21-016-07.

The electrical problems were related to a fuse that was not seated properly from the factory and was working its way loose. The erratic occurance, and the increasing frequency, of the problems seem to agree with this diagnosis... we'll see.

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers,
    Wayne
  • Thanks for the TSB#. I took the pacifica in again ( 2nd time ) and requested they call chrysler. They finally admitted there is a big problem with the 07 pacifica shudder problem and that chrysler is working on the solution. Chrysler stated that not all torque converter replacements are working! They re-programed the module again with an updated firmware. The shifting got a little better but the problem still persisted. Called the dealer and told them the problem did not go away. Service rep told me they will have to call chrysler to get the next corrective action. Hopefully it will be to replace the torque converter! Will keep you guys posted.
  • Let us know how it goes. Our Pac has already had had the torque converter replaced, yet the shuttering has RETURNED along with vibrations and a feeling that the car will stall when downshifting. This is so frustrating and spendy since the mileage has drastically fallen from 16 to 11mpg around town.

Back to the dealer on Monday. We've contacted a lemon law attorney since we're nearing our first year anniversary in six weeks. Shuddering, electrical issues, stereo issues, vibration thru front end, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    Just a thought, but I ahve noticed not the shudder you seem to be getting , but a different thought on what I think. It appears to me that the 6 spped automatic, which is new (made by Borg Warner as I have found at Allpar) lets the engine speed drop to a point that the engine has a hard time droping to 1,300 rpm and still keep it in the gear the transmission is in. I think it's lugging the engine.
    Now maybe you all have a different thing than I think I feel. I am impressed with the mpg we get 21 to 24.3 which is better than our 2007 Jeep Compass got. Frankly I think the 4 L engine has great get up and go and it's mated to a Transmission that helps it preform to the max.
    I am sorry to hear of others problems, and do wish for your problems to get resloved.

farout
    Having gone through a DCX buy back in April of this year, I hope I can help you a little.
    If you have all the documentation of your Pacificas problems, and you mileage is below 36,000, and you bought it new you don't need a Attorney!
    I will give you the correct way to get the results.
    Call the dealer you bought the car from, speak to the Service manager. Tell him you want the Chrysler Zone Rep. to meet with you and the Service Manager, because you have lost confidence in the car. Call the dealers General Manager, and tell him or her, that you have asked the Service Manager to make arrangements meet the Zone Rep. and would he follow up to make sure this gets done ASAP. Then call 1-800 992 1997 and go the the choice that lets you tell your experience. Tell the telephone rep what you have experienced, and that you are asking for them to establish a reference number and to ask for someone to follow it up.
    The telephone rep will call the dealer to see if they have made contact with the Zone Rep. and if not why not.
    Do not worry about you being over the one year time frame, we were 16 months of having our Jeep Liberty Diesel when we first contacted Chrysler. The big issues are what I stated above, and if you are good there you will be ok.
    Chrysler is fantastic about helping buyers that have problem vehicles! If you have owned other Chrysler made vehicles let them know that you have been a loyal believer in their brand. That's a real strong point if you have owned other Chrysler vehicles. We have owned 13 Chrysler vehicles and we have been pleased with all but two and both problem vehicles Chrysler stood by us. Now to me that speaks volumes about their desire to help.
    DO NOT RUN DOWN THE DEALER, THE SERVICE MANAGER, OR THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED ON THE CAR!. That only gets everyone in a defensive mode, which gets you no where. Compliment them for their interest in hearing your problem, which is really just good P. R.
    This whole thing form the time you call you Service manager can take about 90 days until you get into a Chrysler vehicle you want to replace your Pacifica.
    I sincerely hope this helps, I have repeated this to several others who have had their problems resolved.

farout
    Having gone through a DCX buy back in April of this year, I hope I can help you a little.
    If you have all the documentation of your Pacificas problems, and you mileage is below 36,000, and you bought it new you don't need a Attorney!
    I will give you the correct way to get the results.
    Call the dealer you bought the car from, speak to the Service manager. Tell him you want the Chrysler Zone Rep. to meet with you and the Service Manager, because you have lost confidence in the car. Call the dealers General Manager, and tell him or her, that you have asked the Service Manager to make arrangements meet the Zone Rep. and would he follow up to make sure this gets done ASAP. Then call 1-800 992 1997 and go the the choice that lets you tell your experience. Tell the telephone rep what you have experienced, and that you are asking for them to establish a reference number and to ask for someone to follow it up.
    The telephone rep will call the dealer to see if they have made contact with the Zone Rep. and if not why not.
    Do not worry about you being over the one year time frame, we were 16 months of having our Jeep Liberty Diesel when we first contacted Chrysler. The big issues are what I stated above, and if you are good there you will be ok.
    Chrysler is fantastic about helping buyers that have problem vehicles! If you have owned other Chrysler made vehicles let them know that you have been a loyal believer in their brand. That's a real strong point if you have owned other Chrysler vehicles. We have owned 13 Chrysler vehicles and we have been pleased with all but two and both problem vehicles Chrysler stood by us. Now to me that speaks volumes about their desire to help.
    DO NOT RUN DOWN THE DEALER, THE SERVICE MANAGER, OR THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED ON THE CAR!. That only gets everyone in a defensive mode, which gets you no where. Compliment them for their interest in hearing your problem, which is really just good P. R.
    This whole thing form the time you call you Service manager can take about 90 days until you get into a Chrysler vehicle you want to replace your Pacifica.
    I sincerely hope this helps, I have repeated this to several others who have had their problems resolved.

farout
  • I think the same the engine is great and the brakes are very good that's why I want to my car fix , i drove yesterday an 08 and seems to run better, feels a bit heavy but not feel the shudder may be they solve the problem or just was too new.
    I'll keep you posted.
  • thanks for the info. I do agree. There are certain things I like about the car. But chrysler needs to work on quality control. For example. My pacifica is a AWD 07 Limited with just over 3,000 miles. So far I have had 1 fog light replaced. Which came off the lot brand new with 1 only working. It was fixed. Heard a clicking sound from the engine. got worse over time. Did not sound normal. took it in and found there is a issue with the rockers. Had that replaced. Now the transmission shudder problem. I am slowly losing confidence in the vehicle. What a shame! I really like the pacifica. Good looking car. Oh...I am currently getting close to 20 mpg. Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me about the shudder. Will keep you guys posted.
    I had my oil changed at the dealer today, and I mentioned to the Service manager the engine lugging I felt when the engine hit about 1300 to 1500 rpm. I told him how others on this forum had experienced torque converter issues. He told me that he would check it out while it was there. The Service manager came back and told me that certian Vin # Pacifica's have a recall on the torque converters to be replaced. Mine is one, and the lugging that I had related was exactally the way the recalled stated the problem is. There is a week to get the parts and so in later November it will replaced. So this is why I have been a customer of LLoyd Belt in Eldon MO, and bought 4 vehicles from them.
    With the new parts there is a new program designed to operate more smoothly and better fuel mileage.
    Perhaps this might help someone, I hope so.

farout
    Yes, please keep us updated on your shuddering issue. Mine is in the shop for the past eight days (4th time) and also has just over 3000 miles. This is the second dealer I have taken it to. Seems that at least these guys are 'trying' to fix my problems, unlike the dealer that I purchased from. They have not replaced the torque converter, but updated software or something like that this time. Now they are trying to find out why I have a nasty grinding sound in the steering. Said they hadn't experienced it before and were looking to corporate for resolution advise. As for your MPG, that is fantastic compared to mine. I have just barely seen 15mpg twice. Are you taking that from the car's system or actually figuring it yourself from actual gallons pumped? I don't have it but am told some models calculate average mpg in the system.