Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should cell phone drivers be singled out?

1757677787981»

Comments

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    I remember defeating the seat belt notification buzzer when I was a kid; wonder what would stop a kid from removing the phone's chip?

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Doesn't seem very well thought out. Comments in the article sum it up.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I hate all the idiots I see doing dangerous things on the road while texting or dialing cell phones. However, the problem is going to get worse as we progress towards greater mobile connectivity. Rather than being Luddites who insist on locking up cell phones, let's try for some realistic means to minimize the inherent dangers. The idea won't be popular, but I think it's time we force car manufacturers to install hands-free devices in all new cars and require dealers to set them up for buyers. Used car dealers would be forced to retrofit their cars as well. Cell phone providers would be required to provide hands-free devices with every new phone sold. As the technology evolves to the point where all texting, tuning, etc could be done by voice commands, the requirements would evolve to include these capabilities.

Higher costs? Yes. Less freedom? Yes. As mobile technology continues to spread and evolve, so does the danger of distracted driving. The safety benefits far outweigh the costs over the long term...
    I think a lot of new cars have bluetooth already, or have it as a cheap option. Heck, my sister's Sonic has it. And I still see dopes in brand new 60K+ cars which definitely have it standard, with a phone to their ear, via laziness or technical illiteracy.

The tech needs to be encouraged, along with penalties with teeth for those who won't adapt.

I have a better hands free device in all of my cars. Phone rings, I don't answer. If it's important, they will leave a message. :shades:
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Recently, while stopped on a road (that has 45 MPH limit) at stop sign waiting for traffic to clear so that I can cross, up comes a guy in an SUV holding a cell phone to his head in his left hand. He is waiting for opposing traffic to clear so that he can turn on the road I am on. Sure enough he is blabbing away while waiting, then when an opening in opposing traffic, he makes his left turn in front of me steering apparently with his right hand, blabbing away while turning.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I almost met my end with a woman in an Expedition doing nearly the same thing. Had I not anticipated it I'd be gone.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Simply stated, handheld portable devices must be rendered unoperable whenever the automobile is in motion or when the transmission shaft lever is in forward or reverse gear," they wrote in a Viewpoint essay in Wednesday's edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association. "Automobile and cell phone equipment manufacturers have the engineering capabilities to implement these safeguards, and they should be required to do so."

Cellphones shouldn't be able to work in moving cars, experts say (Anchorage DAily News)
    If only they could spell "inoperable".

Strange how it always seems to be the least skilled drivers who insist on texting & driving...
    I hate phone yappers, but that sounds like more half-baked bluster from the overpaid detached world of academia. Disable a phone by a car being in gear? And just how would that be implemented? A "transmission shaft lever"? What world do these people live in? Not even the nanny state Euros are this dumb.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    edited March 2013
    "Automobile and cell phone equipment manufacturers have the engineering capabilities to implement these safeguards, and they should be required to do so."

What about GPS? If all cell phones had this technology, seems that engineers that design cell towers could figure out how to determine if a phone was moving. Except for a 911 call, they should be able to put in some hardware and/or software to simply terminate the call in progress.

Also, believe that cell technology is continuously monitoring both the strength of the signal from the cell talker and also determine movement with triangulation. This must be done to determine when to pass off the cell talker to the next cell tower in the direction of the talker's movement. So, there already is technology/software/hardware in place that "knows" that the cell talker is moving. Would seem not that difficult to take next step of software that then terminates call when sufficient data on the talker is in that he/she is moving.

Of course, cell service providers will strongly resist any efforts by government that would require them to terminate moving cell talkers. Loss of revenue to them.
    Not to mention streaming music through the phone etc that has nothing to do with talking, usage by passengers, phones that don't have GPS (many people still use "dumb phones"), software hacks that could easily defeat such technology, etc. Just more academics trying to earn their salaries. Enforcing the laws is a simpler solution.
    terminate moving cell talkers

Now there's an idea worth considering!

How about we just make bluetooth connectivity for both text and voice mandatory? I hate the nanny state stuff, but the situation is really getting out of hand.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Perfect solution really...Bluetooth would solve these issues except texting but talking is really so much better than texting. Am looking into replacing my factory radio for a unit that is Bluetooth capable to make life a bit easier. Though I normally do not talk and drive, it sometimes has to be done. Even rentals should have this Bluetooth function as lost tourists always use their devices to call for help or directions. Eventually, smart phones are going to be so integrated into daily life, it won't be funny. I predict the days of the "dumb phone" as numbered. Heck, even I came over to the dark side last month with my android HTC unit and love it and what it can do. Just wish the price for data plans would go down with the amount of data given go up which eventually, will have to happen. It has to be made more economical so everyone will be able to use this function.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Funny craigslist ad today:

^!^2005 Chrysler Town & Country^!^COME FOR A TEXT DRIVE
    edited September 2013
    "Motorists in need of a texting break can look for designated pull-off areas to park and safely use their mobile device."

NY Installs 'Text Stops' Along State Highways (pcmag.com)
  • jack_wills14jack_wills14 Member Posts: 1
    tpe said:

Yes, I use a hands-free device. While I have the opinion all wireless communications should be banned, I stay within the law and the spirit of the law. Meaning I do use the hands-free. But I never claimed I didn't.

That's interesting but I already assumed that you did. What exactly do you mean by the "spirit of the law". In most states there is no ban on cell phones at all. So I guess anyone using a hand held device is within the law and the spirit of the Top Dui classes. Also, I'm not entirely sure how you reconcile your personal behavior with these studies you believe so strongly in and your "if it could save one life" mantra.

BTW, I'm not criticizing you for using a hands free device because I've stated numerous times its the driver, not the device that causes the hazard. Remember, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Hello,
    I heard about that, The local authorities banned the wireless communications devices in most of the states of USA.But people still uses those devices. So what type of change should be applied in the DUI Law....