Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Transmission Problems

Comments

• josh99216josh99216 Member Posts: 9
    Thats great! Were you still under warranty? I'm suprised that chrysler paid for half the repair. Usually manufactures try every thing they can to get out of warranty repairs. I'm glad you got it fixed!
  • tidblgr123tidblgr123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jon. What was the outcome of your predicament. I also have a 2003 PT Cruiser, 5 speed manual, and I am no longer able to shift into reverse.... Anyone else???? need suggestions. Thanks, Cj :cry:
  • scresonscreson Member Posts: 3
    My warranty expired a few years ago. I was also surprised that Chrylser took take of me.
  • dmartinez1dmartinez1 Member Posts: 1
    as i kept reading what you wrote it was more and more identical to my situation i have a 2004 also but its a touring edition i bought it in 2006 and it does the same things i live on the other side of tampa florida so i have to cross the skyway bridge and its scary when it starts to tremble and it feels like its gonna shut down on me its been going on for 2years now and its interesting how these stupid mechanics never know what the problem is???????? so why do they even do diognostic testing for? besides the fact of sucking my pocket dry..... :confuse:
  • dcurtsdcurts Member Posts: 4
    so, purchased a 2007 pt about a year ago, the trans is starting to slip. Had it towed to the dealer, they say its out of warrenty. so im waiting for the bad news. $$$$
    I thought this car had a 100,000 warrenty on the drive train, was I wrong?
    the car has 37,606 miles on it now. I've had fords and chevy's never a chrysler.
    I THINK I'V MADE A BAD CHOICE. HELP ME AM I being ripped off.
  • mrhaney2mrhaney2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 pt cruiser doing the same thing...did you ever find out what was causing it?...i replaced the input and output speed sensors......please email me at rgates61@sbcglobal.net with your answer if possible
  • rasec8711rasec8711 Member Posts: 4
    My transmission was slipping when braking, specially when slowing down from 25 to 20 MPH, all I had to do is change the Tranny fluid and the car started working like a champ. It happened for a couple of days after then fluid was changed, but then it just never happened again.
    Praying helps too, it's the best insurance you can get :)
  • krh7krh7 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser - - Approx. 65,000 mi. Automatic transmission. 4-cylinder. Runs great most of the time.
    Seems like every 4 to 5 weeks the car begins to shake, loses acceleration and the engine light activates. After a few seconds - - engine performance returns to normal. What is going on ? ?
    No other problems.
    I would definitely check/replace the timing belt. I was on a 10 hr road trip when my cruiser lost power, the engine light turned on on the spot, and then the car turned off. Bad news =(
    My timing belt went out. DEFINITELY have your timing belt replaced, 60,000 miles is the recommended interval, I was stupid and had no clue that had to be replaced and it cost me about 1K to have it replaced in the middle of nowhere (Kettleman City, CA) but that was including Towing Costs, so save your towing and have it replaced ASAP !
    I’ll tell ya what wrong; there are two engine cam shaft Idler sensors. Ours (2007)went out and Chrysler wouldn’t pay for it to be fixed under warrantee, @ 37,500 miles. So, we told them to fix it, and we would pay, THEY REPLACED the wrong one. We took it to our regular mechanic when it was still doing it and he found the problem rite away. I think 1st of all they didn’t tell us it wouldn’t be covered by warrantee, and 2nd they didn’t fix it correctly. If it’s the same thing as ours, the car surges and jerks under high tork, when you let off the gas it settles down. The 1st fix was $378 and the 2nd was $50 bucks for the part (our guy). Also, when you get it fixed, do the water pump, we did, it was another $780 it was going tooooo.
    I still think Chrysler should have stood by and paid for it:
    But that’s why I’ll never buy another.
    deo
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    My owner's manual recommends replacing the timing belt at 90k miles (2007).
  • kkp1kkp1 Member Posts: 2
    my 03 pt is doing the exact same thing 3rd gear is not there but all of the rest do just fine. Have you found the problem
  • kkp1kkp1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 pt and when you shift into 3rd gear there is nothing there. All of the other gears work just fine, and the trany makes no noise. 3rd gear feels like it is still in neutral. Does any one have an idea
  • special504special504 Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me exactly what was wrong with the car? what had to be replace and where is your guy located?
    Hello,
    the car is a 2007, and it engin light would come on intermittently, when you acelerated, the car would start jurking and the engin would bog down untill you let off the gas.
    the chrysler dealer we when to said it was the ideler sensor on the belt.
    the charged us $400 and they sucked at it.
    the car had 37,000 miles on it and we were led to belive by them it was under warrenty. they lied.
    It continued to do this, so when we knew it wasent under warrenty we took it to our guy who works on our trucks and corvettes.
    he said the chrysler guy must not have known there are two of these sensors, he replaced the other one and when he had it apart the water pump, $400 more. I trust him, to tell me what wrong.
    they are in west chicago ill ( Dave @ Ts specailty ) on washington street
    deo
  • semogalsemogal Member Posts: 1
    Wish I had came on this site before I fell in love with and bought my used 2003 PT Cruiser, I have had it exactly 4 months and 4 days, it is now at the transmission shop waiting to see if the used car dealer I bought it from is going to help me pay for a transmission. I came on this site with my fingers crossed hoping that Chrysler had a recall on the transmissions. My car had 74,000+ miles on it when I bought it and now I am without a car.
  • lowfreqlowfreq Member Posts: 1
    Without any warning something happened to my automatic transmission. Now I only have 2nd gear and reverse in a 2001 PT Cruiser. Also the speedometer quit working. I installed a new input - output sensor, speed sensor, and a governor control solinoid and the problem remains. Any suggestions to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated. What have I missed or overlooked??? Thanks for your help............. Jim a.k.a lowfreq
  • therightonetherightone Member Posts: 1
    I just put a new transmission in my 2003 cruiser in April and it is in the shop angain for transmission issues. I wish I had seen this sight before I bought it last September. The transmission went out under 100k miles and cost me $1800.00 :mad:
  • jhazy119jhazy119 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, my girlfriends 2003 PT was working fine after 3 plus yrs or ownership, being meticulously maintained (except trans oil & filter never done), and New Years Day we were coming back after shopping and the transmission started acting like a manual and jumping out of gear. It has the 4 speed auto trans with OverDrive and it happened intermittently at first and after about three miles of trying to limp home it died all together and I tried all gears with the same result it would run a few yards and stop pulling the car and acting like it popping out of gear and as I had foot on gas it would overrev thats how I noticed it wasn't working. I am a mechanic from the old school and I can tell you this, there was NO check engine or any other lights to indicate a problem, I checked the fluid level and color and smell of the fluid; all was normal, up to hot level indicator, and smelled like fresh fluid, NO burnt smell. There was no indication of a problem other than it will not engage in any gear now. I consulted several mechanics around the area and theanswers I got were just as many, and varied from a dirty filter to solenoid problems, to old age because the car has 102,600 miles on it.
    Anyway my questions is multi-fold in that are there callback issues with these transmissions or is it as simple as a dirty filter? I had thought that these issues might cause a computer code, so as soon as I find my OBDI & II scanner in storage I'm checking to see if there are related issues along that line. Any and all input will be considered before I bring it to a garage ande waste god knows how much to diagnose it, especially after reading the posts here so far...!
  • uggyuggy Member Posts: 4
    Ironic: Taking the PT cruiser out to fetch my 2000 FORD Excursion from the mechanic, the car: 2001 limited automatic 89,000.00 miles on it, I am second owner, had to go up an off-ramp from a four lane into the back roads towards the mechanic. halfway up there was a tremendous explosion sound and it threw some part or other away! We (bro and I) pulled into a gas station (modern one, nothing there to work on cars, but you can get a hoagie!), saw nothing wrong under the car or under the hood! No loss of fluids yet. Headed off into the country, made it 4 miles from civilization and with great fanfare: booming, knocking, over revving, and the throwing of a pin, the PT went no more. Not even in reverse! pushed it back to an intersection, called AAA, had it towed 4 miles the other way to the mechanic. THERE WAS NO WARNING, THERE WAS NO INDICATION OF FAILURE OF ANYTHING AT ANYTIME, GREAT AMOUNTS OF TRANNY FLUID POURED OUT, TRANNY SHOT, WHY? CAR NEVER ABUSED, NEVER TOWED ANYTHING, SHORT HOPS TO AND FROM WORK, AROUND TOWN. There seems to be a pattern of failure of these Chrysler Transmissions, any help from a recall, or any help in general???
  • ash23ash23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 pt cruiser and have owned it about 5 months. It has 86,000 miles on it. I was on the interstate with the cruise control on 75 passing a semi and all of a sudden I heard a pop and car slowed dramatically down. I tried pushing the gas but wouldnt go faster so had to coast to slow lane and shoulder or interstate. I never had a warning like slipping of gears or anything. And full of transmission fluid. I have called around and if its the transmission got a quote for 1,600 all the way up to 2,200. Hope its not trans. Also my heater only works on high setting. Low and medium dont work does anybody have that problem and know how to fix it? Aggrevated I still owe on car
    edited January 2011
    Hey! Sorry to hear about your problem. I had the same exact problem about 3 years ago with my old PT Cruiser. For me it was the timing belt. Have you replaced that?

I also never had a problem with the Cruiser, no warning, no check engine light, no nothing, until one day on a road trip it just lost complete power and started slowing down and had to pull over to the side of the road (5 hours from my departure point and 5 hours from my arrival point) it sucked! I had to get it fixed in a little town that had a few mechanics, and the cost of the repair was somewhere around $650.

So yeah, I'm almost 100% sure that it's the timing belt since it sounds like it has the same exact symptoms as mine.

ALSO: Don't try to start it again. Many people told me to unplug the battery so that the code would get erased from the computer and the car would start, BUT this will mess up the valves in the engine and will make the repair SUPER expensive. The PT is pretty smart and stops the engine once it feels the timing belt breaks, this is to prevent damage to the valves. So DON'T TRY TO TURN ON THE CAR.

My car also had 85,000 miles on it when this happened :(
  • solitajsolitaj Member Posts: 1
    Get your computer changed before it goes over 90,000 miles, it is free from Chrysler to change it once on a car. I had to last year and had to pay $3000.00 for all the work on my 2003 pt cruiser. My transmission is slipping now and I replaced the alternator, timing belt, heads, lower engine mount, complete tune up, and so much more last year. I wish I would have know before I purchased the car. I just replaced the alternator again this year and the battery. The check engine light came on and now the transmission is slipping.
  • jhazy119jhazy119 Member Posts: 2
    HMMMmmm...
    I guess no one reads or monitors this page in an effort to aide and assist would be needy motorists with their auto troubles.
    Just another SELF-MOTIVATED; EGO-MANIACLE web page claiming to be able to assist those in need...!
    Should have checked with Kelly Blue Book.
    edited April 2011
  • josh99216josh99216 Member Posts: 9
    Not sure where your frustration is coming from as it appears you have had several responses to your post, latest being two days ago. However, I will tell you that yes, the cruiser is known for tranny problems and it seems to happen around 100,000 miles. My buddie bought a cruiser a couple years ago with 105,000 miles on it. It was very clean and looked brand new inside and out... You could tell the car was very well taken care of. About a week after he bought it, the transmission started slipping (no leaks and no warning light). He immediately called the dealer he bought it from and they agreed to bave their mechanic look at it. It turned out that the transmission needed to be replaced or rebuilt. Do to the cost of replacing it $2,000+ he decided to have it rebuilt for $1100. The dealer agreed to cover half the cost as he had only bought a week earlier. Car ran great for about a year. Then another bummer, he was driving home one day and just as he turned the corner to his house he heard a pop and the engine she off, he was able to coast into his driveway. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with it as again there were no leaks but the engine would not start. He bad it towed to a chrystler dealer this time and it turns out his timing belt broke. This turned out to be another $1000 bill. Be had it the work done along with the water pump as apparently that is quite the chore and much cheaper to have done while the engine was apart for the replacement of the timing belt. After he got the car back the A/C quit working so he took it back and the dealer told him he would need a new fan and the cost would be several hundred dollars so I suggested he take it to another dealer for a second opinion. So he took it to yet another dealer (a reputable local 5 star dealer). After a quick check it turns out the last dealer that replaced his timing belt unplugged his fan and tried charging him for a new one! So they plugged his fan in and he also had them do a tune up with new plugs and wires etc. The car ran better than it ever did until he ran it into a tree totaling it about 5 months later. Anyhow, these cars are fun to drive but appear to me to be high maintenance vehicles and even then be prepared for some pocket dipping repairs. I hope this helps. Have you had your car looked at or repaired?
  • sandra29sandra29 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2003 PT Cruiser to a shop to have a steering problem fixed. It had 107,000 miles on it and was showing no transmission problems. Next thing I know, the shop calls me and says the differential went through the transmission after the mechanic repaired the steering problem and was driving it. They said I need a whole new transmission for a total of over $4,000! They then charged me over $800 for the steering problem they "fixed" so I could then have my car TOWED away! The car was only worth around $3,000 before this incident, so it was a total loss and I am out of a car. I can't prove that the shop caused the problem,so I can't take them to small claims court. The shop blamed Chrysler saying that they knew about the problem but weren't taking responsibility for it! Has anyone considered a class action lawsuit? Sounds like there are plenty of people that have experienced the same problem! I won't use Pro Alignment again and will NEVER buy a car from Chrysler again. Bought a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL and hope to have a better experience! So far I love the car! (P.S. At least Ford didn't take bailout money!) :P
  • windrider422windrider422 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2007 automatic that wont shift on its own but I can manually shift. Any ideas?
  • tim185tim185 Member Posts: 1
    I have been told that a shimmy when the auto transmission is shifting may be transmission and/or motor mounts? I have also been told that the mounts on my 2003 PT Cruiser go out every 4 or 5 years? They said you should make sure the mechanic changes the water pump and timing belt at the same time as the mounts with no labor charge, because you have to take those things off anyway when you change the mounts? Is this info correct?
    might as well! Chrysler never put out to the public how, shall we say, "sensitive" the early, and perhaps, recent, PT tranny's are! Mine blew up, and it costs as much as the car to get a new one, a used one was put in and it blew up too. I WOULD NEVER BUY A PT OR ANY CHRYSLER EVER AGAIN. I have a little Nissan Versa with a lawnmower type transmission that just hums along! If you DO NOT do these things, it is just a matter of time before the tranny blows out completely for you! Read deeper in Edmund's about PT transmissions. GOOD LUCK, Uggy
  • trrjartrrjar Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    My check engine light has been on since we bought it back in April or May of this year...we've had it checked on quite a bit but everyone says the same thing it's fine nothing is showing up...around about 3 wks or so ago it started having trouble going into reverse but no problems with any other gears....What could be the problem with it??? Any idea's????
  • dkaczmarekdkaczmarek Member Posts: 1
    does any one no if thiers a class action law suit against chrysler for these problems we all have incountered. i have a 2003 pt bought it new by the third year i replaced the timing belt then the conputer now the car shakes they said its the transaxel i have spent around 6000.00 and the tranmission is to be about 2500.
    Blood from a stone. I had an 88 ramcharger that I loved. The paint evaporated off of it above the passenger and the driver on the roof! Then, it started to leave the body turning it white from gray. The Maintenence Manager brought in a Chrysler rep and this guy said this, "You must have driven through something! Something aerosol!" (!?!). My reply, "Like what? a picket line of pissed off hairdressers?" (at the time, Chrysler had blamed the hairspray of their assembly line workers for the big paint problems they were having!)They would do nothing, he was very rude and declared that I had exceeded the 50,000/5 yr. paint warranty by one month! I explained that it TOOK A MONTH FOR HIM TO GET THERE, & DRIVING BACK AND FORTH TO WORK TOOK IT OVER THE LIMIT, WHILE I WAITED! He did not care. I contacted my states Attorney general, and got harumphed. Years Later: I discovered Chrysler was experimenting, (along with the other big 3) with "enviromentally Safe" undercoatings that were EXPECTED to cause the degradation of the surface paint! Ford had better success, but GM and Chrysler did not. And now the rest of the story: the paint on my PT Cruiser is fine, but it has been 9 months trying to get a transmission in it that will work! My brother seeks a new car, today he looked at a Chrysler 300, I hit him with a brick... Good Luck!!! :lemon:
  • tiver43809tiver43809 Member Posts: 2
    2001 PT Cruiser Automatic
    My daughter hit something which broke the bell housing on her tranny. He friends replaced it with one from a boneyard which came out of a Stratus. They guy said it would work. They got it in ok but it will not shift out of first. Someone told her that there is a "linkage conversion kit" she needs to buy for the Stratus tranny to work in her PT Cruiser. She is bringing me the car on Saturday to fix it. (sure wish she would of done this to start with) Any thoughts? This is all I know and I could not find anything about a "conversion kit"

Thanks
    Terry the Dad
  • iamterrybiamterryb Member Posts: 4
    If the car has problems going into reverse then it usually indicates that there is something going on with the transmission.
  • tiver43809tiver43809 Member Posts: 2
    Figured it out. Where the linkage attaches you can turn the nut underneath to adjust it.

Thanks anyway

Terry
  • cicccicc Member Posts: 1
    I had a same problem and it was a computer in the car.If your light on not pass a smog-test,and had to replace a computer.about 800-900 dollar
  • cheeks5cheeks5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser and it has been leaking the transmission fluid, about two weeks ago it the check engine light came on and the car started to get stuck on first gear....i checked the fluid level and it was low... i added fluid and it worked fine but it started doing it again after a few miles of driving it. Yesterday a friend of mine that's a mechanic checked it and cleared the codes and the check engine light turned off and the car was working perfectly fine but after a few miles of driving it the light came back on and it started getting stuck on first gear again but he cleared the code once again and it worked fine again. Has anyone had this problem? Please help...i need answers
  • sandra35sandra35 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 2002 pt cruiser, where it down shifted to 2 nd gear from 40 miles a hour on its own i slowed the car down to a stop shut it off and when i did it started rolling when it was in park. started the car no gears at all in the car automatic trans. So had it towed still no gears n no park also. called chrysler 1800 number cust serv, said theres no recall and no warranty. That chrysler never noted a problem with there transmissions in the pt cruisers..... no help at all . so i know im not the only one
  • misterbnnymisterbnny Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just read your post, sorry a bit late.

The symptoms are that of not replacing the transmission filter and oil at the right time. Happened to me once.
    after my 2001 pt cruiser tranny litteraly blew to pieces, my mechanic said that chrysler informed him that , along with the filter and fluid, the timing chain, the computer, all needed replaced after 40,000 miles. when asked why this was only information priviledged to chrysler dealership mechanics, the reply was, "there are no recalls, and if the transmission is not properly maintained, by taking it to the DEALERSHIP on the scheduled maintenence dates, then this is what happens!" meaning my transmission that shot gears across a snowy PA road! I was lucky in the fact that the SECOND computer used was NOT the one that came with my replacement tranny, but like an organ transplant, the tranny did not reject it. My mechanic said that if the computer does not sync up with the replacement tranny, you have to keep trying until one or the other does! this car replaced by a wonderful 09 Nissan Versa!!!
  • maryvmaryv Member Posts: 10
    Hello: I have the vehicle in the title above and had a big shock when I went to the dealership for an oil change / tire rotation.

First, a little background on the car. It is a 2001 with 34,000 miles when we received it. My mother-in-law gave it to my 17-year-old son when she got a new car. What a fantastic gift. We are very greatful. She is meticulous about car care and this car was pretty much literally only driven to church on Sundays. She NEVER drives on the expressway. Only a little bit around town, doing errands and such. Also, it was thoroughly checked out at 34,000 miles. So it was quite a shock when I went to the dealership and they told me my engine mounts were loose/breaking, and something about the axle connections (I don't know the technical terms), and axle seals. To the tune of $1300. I agreed to these repairs as I am worried about my inexperienced driver son driving this vehicle if it has suspension/engine problems.

Then, at the end of the day, the dealership called to tell me that I needed a new timing belt and water pump replaced. To the tune of $1200. I declined to have these repairs done. $2500 in repairs is a big shock when you take your car in expecting to spend $60.

Mind you, there are only 41,000 miles on the car at this time. I don't have time to comparison shop for repair services, but I will definitely not take it back to the dealership at those prices.

I was skeptical that these repairs needed to be done at all, but after reading this forum it seems like others are having similar problems. I work for GM, so personally I would never buy a Chrysler product, but I'm not going to say no to a free car.

When I asked the service guy why a car with only 41,000 would have such serious problems he said that "It is just the luck of the draw." What????? So when you buy a Chrysler product you might get a good vehicle and you might get a crappy one? What does that even mean?

I'd appreciate any comments. I guess I don't really have a question here, just looking for validation/venting. Also, I'm a little worried about the transmission now after reading all these posts?

Advice on whether I really need to have the timing belt replace? Anybody?
  • emdubyaemdubya Member Posts: 1
    I was tooling down the freeway at about sixty-five, when I heard and felt a loud thunk. I immediately noticed my tach was registering higher than normal. That's when I knew I had lost my high gear. I limped it home. When I tried to back it up to get a better angle on the parking space, that's when I knew I had lost Reverse. Is this common for a PT Cruiser tranny? What are my options? If I need a rebuilt tranny, what kind of money am I looking to spend? The car has less than 100K miles on it. Aren't trannies supposed to last longer?
  • aiko5aiko5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 PT Cruiser 5 speed manual shift. In Aug of 2012,
    I had front end collision. The car was not totaled,but repaired. Since then I have noticed a vibration with acceleration on the gas pedal. Also the engine seems a lot louder than before the accident.
    The other issue is, the shifter is harder to work when the car is warmed up.
    The tie rods were replaced on both sides. Could it be the motor mounts? And is there an "after market 5 speed shifter" that could be installed?
  • maxjeremymaxjeremy Member Posts: 4
    Yes I have the same year. The problem is the Trans module its right on the trans. right below the battery. Its about 150 for the part. you can do it yourself but first get a book or ask someone that knows about cars help you. you will need to do a trans fluid/filter change while you are at it because of any dirt that's in the trans. the reset the codes and drive if you still have problems it maybe you main computer for the car then. that runs over 1,000 because you need to have the miles and what not transferred to the new computer. if you need anymore help just email me maxjeremystuck2009@hotmail.com
    Well, first off the dealership will nickel and dime you. Second you should always get the car looked at by at least 2 mechanics before spending money at it. The trans are not bad on them but people don't seem to understand they should change the fluid/filter every 18months or 30,000 miles. and the other thing that goes wrong with it isn't the trans at first but the module that sits right on it, any good mechanic will tell you that those modules goes out a lot its the same one as the Dodge neon. as for the mounts they do go out if they are that old regardless of miles driven because the plastic drys out and brakes. It also says the water pump should be replaced every time you change the timing belt(just what the books say/but should change every 5years just to be on the safe side) By the way if it starts to over heat in the summer on the highway its the fan because the fans go out a lot for some reason. if you have any other questions about the car and what to do just ask me maxjeremystuck2009@hotmail.com
    here are a list of things you should have done and possible problems
    1) change trans oil/filter every 30,000 miles(book says 24,000 tho)
    2) Check fluid every week(I like to do it sunday so i know I have all fluids need in the car.
    1A)could have been the trans(if fluids weren't checked and/or change properly
    1B) the module that sits right on the tranny does go out often i don't know why other than it might just get burnt out from the heat. i think it was stupid for them to put a computer on the tranny anyways.

I hope this was of some help. sorry it took so long for the reply tho. Just started getting back on here to help out.
    okay, first off you need more detail as to what you hit how fast and where the damage was. more than likely you need to replace all three engine mounts have the inner tierods checked, ball joints, front struts(make sure they are not bent/twisted) control arms bushings, as well as stabilizer bar and bushings. could also be you have different types of tires on the front two and/or needs balancing. as for the tranny goes make sure none of the piping/tubing is broken(pinched) or the pump is going out(since you crashed it) get the tranny tested for code and then ease all code off the car's computer if it works fine for the first 10miles or so then its the computer if it still acts up just like before then its your tranny (98%) sure your tranny needs to be replaced. the life of a tranny does last longer than that but whenever the car get into accident it truly doest mess [non-permissible content removed] up for both the tranny and engine not to even think about the suspension if you have any other questions just email maxjeremystuck2009@hotmail.com

PS always have you car looked at by at least 2 mechanics. some are just money hungry and doesnt love to just work on cars.....sad i know!!!
  • mikechuckpappymikechuckpappy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 PT Cruiser 2.4L with the 5 speed transmission. At 47,000 miles the transmission needs to be replaced (already replaced at 22,000). I am stationed in Germany and a new transmission from the dealer costs about $4,000. I found a German spec PT Cruiser at a salvage lot that is the same year but a 2.2L engine. What are the chances that the transmission from the German Spec car will fit in my Cruiser? Please help if this doesn't work we are going to have to junk the car because it's to expensive to fix.
  • shenning1shenning1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently got a PT Cruiser 2008 with 93,000 on it. Everything seems great but recently we noticed the manual transmission is a little tough to shift into 1rst and 2nd gear. Feels like the gears are binding sort of. You can push it in but it seems tight and sort of double pops into gear. Its kind of like it takes a little muscle to shift into 1rst or 2nd. The other gears seems a little easier. Reverse not any noticeable problem. Anybody deal with this before?
    sorta frustrated......