Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

PT Cruiser Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• ptinkptink Member Posts: 13
    thanks i did call around ALOT everyone said 750.00 to 850.00 just in labor!!!!!
    something to do with it being in with the timing belt....
    anyway the kia does have all the bells and whisles even a DVD player that doesn't work.... only 48,000 miles. i just hated being put in a spot where i had no choice and got my self in debt, they would not just buy my car and i had no way to move it and know one to buy it as is and BAM i am in a car i really can not afford..... oh well live and learn thanks for your help
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    thanks i did call around ALOT everyone said 750.00 to 850.00 just in labor!!!!!
    something to do with it being in with the timing belt....

After I read your reply I searched my service manual CD for our 03 Cruiser to see what all the fuss was about to replace a water pump on it.

My goodness. On our turbo model it involves removing the strut shock tower, depressurizing and removing various A/C lines, upper and lower timing belt covers, timing belt, cam sprockets and more just to get to the water pump. Then there are issues with getting the timing marks lined up afterwards, etc.

All I can say is that I hope it never has to be replaced. I usually like to tinker with my own basic repairs but I'm not sure I'd want tackle this one, even at $850 in labor savings.
  • ptnurseptnurse Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same thing happen to me twice!! And it has happened to my mother twice as well. She has an '04 Touring and I have an '06 Touring. If you ever find out what it is, let me know!! I will do the same!! I take it in and they tell me there is nothing wrong... well I was in today and guess what? The car needs a whole new engine! The radiator overheated and it was down 2 L of oil and I get my oil changes every 3000 km!! I baby my car. It has 48,000 km on it total... I even thought that shaking might have been the fuel injectors, but 3 days after i had them cleaned, it shook like an earthquake..... I hope I didnt buy a lemon!
  • dakota05dakota05 Member Posts: 1
    I have A 2002 pt cruiser , The timing belt has broke and the mechanic quoted A price of $1400.00 and that is if they don't have to have the head machined !

I am hoping the 2.4 is A freewheeling engine which would mean A couple of things ,
    first , their is A space between the piston and the valves eliminating the possibilty of damaging the valves and or pistons . second , the mechanic is trying to rip me off !

But I don't know if this is A freewheeling engine so I thought I would ask here !

Thanks
  • shaewshaew Member Posts: 1
    HELLO.
    i'm new this site but i need help trying fix the problems with my car ..i have a 2005 pt cruiser and the code that i get is 301 which is a cylinder 1 misfire ..how do i fix that problem?? please help
    i have a 2005 pt cruiser and the code that i get is 301 which is a cylinder 1 misfire ..how do i fix that problem??

It could be caused by several things. Try replacing the less expensive things first and go from there. Start with new plugs, then new plug wires, then a new coil pack if either of the first two suggestions doesn't fix it.
  • paperweightpaperweight Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem just after I finally found the fog lights. Not looking for the fog lights slowed the process down, of course.

Once I started using them, the Fog lights would come on by themselves and then not turn off. My solution was to pull the fuse for the fog Lights. On my '01 the only thing on that circuit is the for lights.

Paperweight
  • texasptdrivertexasptdriver Member Posts: 4
    Well, I finally gave in and had my multi function switch replaced to the tune of $150.00. After about a week of leaving the left turn signal on after I exited the vehicle, it started to stay on again. It would go off if I applied pressure on the left turn signal lever, so I hooked a bungee cord to the lever and the seat frame and it would stay off. It took me 2 days to realize that this was a bizzarre and ridiculous solution. I feel that Chrysler should have replaced the switch at no cost to me, but you can guess what happened on that request. I recently replaced a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica with a 2008 Hyundai Sonata because of the bad gas mileage (12 MPG). My thought is that Chrysler should have paid for the replacement of the multi function switch on the Cruiser to keep the goodwill of their good customers, I don't think that Chrysler will be in business much longer (Daimler-Benz did a kiss off as I am doing) as their product is deteriorating. I won't buy another Chrysler product ever again.
    Sorry to hear that you've had more than your fair share of problems with Chryslers.

I currently own two Chryslers and a Dodge. My wife and I are quite happy with all three of them.
  • aussieptaussiept Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 PT which has a voltage regulator problem in the on board computer system.Chrysler answer is to replace computer for about $3000 Aus.There
    has to be a cheaper option.Can any parts of the computer be bypassed ?A voltage regulator would normally be a $100 Aus. expense.Surely someone else has had to solve this one.
  • ragrueschowragrueschow Member Posts: 1
    I don't know yet. My wife has a 2001 with 181,000 miles on it. We use about 1/4th of a quart in 5000 miles at this time.
  • christacook72christacook72 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this but from what I've seen there's alot of help here so I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I have an suv and really need to get rid of it to save some on gas and was told that pt cruisers were good on gas but the more I see about the transmission and engine problems I'm kinda rethinking it. I want a manual transmission but am I crazy? Should I look for something else?
    There are probably better choices if your main reason for replacing your SUV is to save on gas. Our family has a GT Cruiser (the turbo version) and my wife gets around 19-20 mpg as a daily driver - mostly stop and go traffic. I've gotten 26 mpg on the highway with the cruise set on 70 mph. I've read where owners have reported much less and still others who say theirs is much better. The 2008 is rated 21 city / 26 hwy and I'm sure that's with the basic engine and 5-speed manual trans.

If you don't need the space of an SUV the Dodge Caliber is rated 24 city / 29 hwy and the 2008 EPA estimates are fairly close than what those stickers used to be in previous years.

If you want something a bit larger while still getting decent fuel economy there's the Jeep Patriot or the Jeep Compass, both rated at 23 city / 28 hwy.

As far as the transmission problems, you generally won't see anyone take the time to come here and post that their transmission is working fine and that they haven't had any problems with their Cruiser. This is a help forum to share ideas and look for advice, so people who are experiencing problems with their vehicles are more likely to be found here. Sort of like walking into a hospital and wondering why there are so many sick people there. :D
  • ssweattssweatt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 pt and i've kept up with all of maintance i just got a 90k mile service about 4 months ago and all of the computer upgrades amounting in about $4,000 worth of work just to have my timing belt break and cost me more money my check engine light never came until the belt broke and i'm wondering if there was another recall or something cause this crazy i'm spending soooo much money on a car that i bought brand new i have been a loyal chrysler/plymouth/dodge customer for at least 20 + years just to get let down like this is unheard of. i truly believe that americans should buy american cars but not if they are going to end up paying in repairs what they paid for the car.
    :mad: :sick: :(
  • ptuserptuser Member Posts: 2
    I have to tell everyone that the problem was solved first by visiting Auto Zone for a free diagnostics check which read out a bad power steering switch. I bought one there and took it to the local mechanic who installed it while I was at work. Thanks everyone.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Did you read your owner's manual? I have a 2006 Caravan with the same 4 cylinder engine. In my owner's manual, replacement of the timing belt is required at 90k miles. I've got 30k miles on the Caravan. No problems so far (knock on wood).
  • jfuchsjfuchs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 touring edition with only 40,000 miles on it.
    During my most recent oil change they told me that I had a blown head gasket. What I want to know is whether this is normal, has anyone else had this issue?

To me, with only 40k miles I would not expect a head gasket to go bad, too soon. And I certainly don't want to pay the 800 to 1000 that the dealership wants to change it!
    During my most recent oil change they told me that I had a blown head gasket. What I want to know is whether this is normal, has anyone else had this issue?

My wife has an 03 Cruiser with nearly double those miles and she's never had any problems with the head gasket. I don't think a blown head gasket at 40k miles is normal in any car.
  • dlnielsendlnielsen Member Posts: 1
    OK, about to pull my hair out. I have an 03 PT GT with about 90K miles. About 2 months ago, I was driving down the highway when suddenly the car jerked in my hands and the dash lit up like a christmas tree. The car had gone dead and then kicked back over because I was at speed. The car did the same thing later, in a parking lot and did not kick back over because I was going too slow. Over the ensuing period, this has happened a few more times, each time with the "dead" period, the time when there is ABSOLUTELY no electrical working in the car, no lights, no radio, not even emergency flashers, has increased. Today it was about 5 minutes twice and once it kicked right back over as I was on the freeway. To add to this, we are now having the fog light problem too. I have found if I turn off the ignition and then turn on a turn signal, the fog lights turn off. Anyone have any ideas??? :mad: :cry: :sick:
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    How did they come to this conclusion? Some of the symptoms of a blown head gasket are: engine over heats; mixture of coolant and oil in the cooling system; mixture of oil and coolant in the engine oil; or visible leaks where the engine block joins the cylinder head. If any of these conditins are present, then you MAY have a blown head gasket. Good luck.
  • myerstrmnmyerstrmn Member Posts: 1
    Experienced this problem when I first purchased my 2001 PT Limited. Would only happen when I used the Brights. Ended up being a loose body ground wire in the engine compartment. Dealer fixed this under warranty.
  • brains1brains1 Member Posts: 1
    Check engine light stays on. Checked the gas cap, put oil in yesterday, where do I find the code to tell me what the problem is. I have a 2006 pt
    where do I find the code to tell me what the problem is.

Auto parts stores such as AutoZone used to scan your CEL for free in order to get your business. It's been a few years since I've had this done by them but I believe they still offer the free service.
  • scott_a_roscott_a_ro Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have a 2005 manual PT Cruiser with 25K. Sometimes when I downshift, it won't accelerate. I can push the gas pedal all the way in and nothing. Any ideas why it would do this?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • bspeeblesbspeebles Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 pt with 2.4 non-turbo and it seems to hesitate or surge while shifting from first to second or at least its most noticeable at that time. What can i do to fix this?
  • cadi89cadi89 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04' PT cruiser GT model. Last year I had a battery problem, car wouldn't start. The battery top and cables were all corroded.The dealership replace battery under warrantee and coated connectors. Today I go to start my car..... same problem! Is there anyone out there that has had this problem?
  • jaball0jaball0 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 PT Cruiser with an intermittent problem. About 2 or 3 times/week I lose all power. The car does not die and no warning lights are illuminated. The car continues to run but very rough. The accelerator ceases to function. Then after 1 to 2 minutes the car regains power. I have taken it to the dealership 3 times but they find nothing wrong with it. Apparently there are no error codes during the diagnostic. Last week this happened and I came close to being rear-ended by a tractor trailer. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what is the cause?
  • jabo3940jabo3940 Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2007 pt cruiser.bought it in febuary08 with 32000 miles on it.now it has 37000 miles.two weeks ago it started pushing the coolant into the plastic jug,but it wont recover it,then of course it starts spitting it out of the jug.after it pushes enough out of the radiator into the jug,of course,it tries to run hot.i changed the thermostat just hoping that was the problem...it wasnt.i'm all but positive its the head gasket leaking.after it sits for a short time,when you first start it up,it misses for about 10 seconds.kinda like it has a little water on the top of the pistons,which would be a head gasket.has anyone else had this problem?
  • pt_nickpt_nick Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: Hello, I have an 01 pt and i recently ran into a problem...the odometer flashes 'no fuse' however every fuse in the car and under the hood is there and not blown. Also included in this problem is the pwr locks, pwr mirrors, keyless entry, interior lights, radio and trip odometer do not work. Other functions still work like pwr windows, sunroof, pwr seats, dash lights and head lights. Any one run into this before or have any ideas on how to fix the problem. :confuse:
    Try the link shown below for a list of discussions on this and possible solutions. Unfortunately, I'm at work and the company firewall prevents me from getting past Google and finding the actual answer or I would post it for you.

PT Cruiser No Fuse
  • ellzellz Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 PT Cruiser Route 66 edition is doing exactly what you described in this post. It has being having this problem on and off for a few months now and the dealer has not been able to find a fault. Today the problem was so severe that the car loss all power, including steering, causing me to nearly have a car accident. As I drive long distances everyday on the motorway I now feel like its too unsafe to drive. Please let me know if you find out what is causing the problem!
  • ptloserptloser Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone offer ideas on why when I touch my brake, the car won't start and the needles go wild on the dash? I can get the power to come on and off by messing with the brake pedal, but not long enough to get the car started. This problem was preceded by the occasional automatic door locks locking when I pressed down on the brake.....
  • crzywmn84crzywmn84 Member Posts: 1
    Mine did the same thing and it was the internal turbo charger. The dealership fixed it about 6 months ago and it was working great, but it has started happening again.
  • scott_a_roscott_a_ro Member Posts: 4
    Around how much does that cost to have fixed? :shades:
  • jaball0jaball0 Member Posts: 2
    I’ll let you know if I ever find out. Still no luck with the dealership. Even contacted Chrysler but all they did was tell me to contact the dealership. Big help.
  • pt_nickpt_nick Member Posts: 3
    Thank you! there were a lot of helpful links that I am going to try tomorrow. If I run into any other problems or issues I will post responses. Also for anyone who has run into this I will let you know how I make out.
  • germanguy675germanguy675 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2006 pt cruiser with 16000 miles on it and am very happy but something strange happened the other night while driving.I was driving home and the interior lights,radio,air conditioner stopped working.I noticed in the farthest right gauge a "no Fuse light" was on.I figured I blew a fuse and replaced suspected fuse but problem continues off and on.When this happens doors will not unlock from remote,ignition is delayed and it seems like the computer keeps reseting itself.P.S suspected fuse looked fine.Have an appointment with dealer Monday.Any ideas or suggestions.Thanks,Michael
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
  • creativeaimscreativeaims Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know whether there was a recall on Y reg Cruisers regarding the engine light. It has even been reset but still omes back on. Please help!
    It has even been reset but still omes back on.

If a fault still exists the CEL will keep reappearing until it is corrected.

Have you had it scanned for any fault codes? Places like AutoZone will do this for free.
  • luv2readluv2read Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. When I put my headlights on I also saw smoke coming out of my steering column. There was also a burning smell. I took my car to the mechanic and he replaced the headlight switch. Because of the airbag my mechanic said he had to disconnect the battery. That problem is solved but my CD player has not worked since I picked up the car. The radio works and only displays AM & FM, the CD function is gone.
  • mdfrutigermdfrutiger Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm experiencing this exact same issue and have had no luck getting the dealer to find anything. Did you figure out what the issue was?

Thanks
  • kpatriciakpatricia Member Posts: 3
    Update to this post: Started having several problems with the car--first the fog lights and the drain on the battery, then headlights started burning out. At 94k miles, I took my PT into a local, trustworthy repair shop. They checked out the car and informed me that the computer chip in my car was faulty--something that they said was very rare. Sent me to the dealer because only the dealer can address that issue and program the computer chip. The dealer checked out my car and told me the fog light issue was a result of the "multifunction switch," which had to be replaced. Unfortunately, the computer chip was also faulty, so that had to be replaced too. Additionally, two of my engine mounts were broken. Thankfully I had elected to have mechanical breakdown insurance on the car. The insurance company had an adjuster come out to the dealership to verify all that was wrong with the car, and paid for about 50% of the cost of the repairs. Still, about $1,300 out of pocket for me. The problems I was having have been resolved.
  • kramerdkramerd Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2006 PT CRUISER. THE CIRCLE AROUND THE A/C KNOB AND INSTRUMENT PANEL GET VERY HOT TO THE TOUCH. IT WOULD BURN A CHILDS FINGER OR YOUR OWN IF YOU LEFT IT THER VERY LONG. THE REPLACED THE INSTRUMENT PANEL AND IT STILL DOES IT. I'M AFRAID ITS GOING TO CATCH FIRE. IT SEEMS TO DO IT WHEN THE HEADLIGHTS ARE ON. ANY BODY ELSE HAVE THAT PROBLEM AND IF SO HOW DID YOU FIX IT.
  • simon20simon20 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 GT Turbo & so far have not had this problem. However I just had this problem w/2001 300M. My private mechanic along with a Driveability Technician and they determined it was probably a carbon buildup in the engine. They put some serious stuff (I don't know what) down the engine and also in the gas tank. After a day or so, it runs as smooth as ever.
  • billybugbillybug Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 PT with 50,000 miles on it. The check engine light has just come on. What is the most likely problem?

Thanks,

Bill
  • kpatriciakpatricia Member Posts: 3
    I have 1 2002 PT Cruiser, and at 89,000 miles, the check engine light came on. In my case, it turns out the computer chip for the car had malfunctioned--apparently that's supposed to be very very rare. The computer chip needed to be replaced, and only Chrysler could do it.

Good luck.
  • billybugbillybug Member Posts: 8
    You folks saved me a bunch of money! Code 0601- needs new computer....and dealer fixed it under the 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty.

I was about to spend $500.00 at the local repair shop.

Thanks again!

Bill
  • lenkuelenkue Member Posts: 1
    Hi, does anyone know what would cause the dashboard functions of my '06 PT to litterally quit. There are no overhead lights, no door lock function, the blinkers and headlights work but you can't tell because you can't see the dash light indicators. I tried looking for a bad fuse but the fuse guide is terrible.
    Any suggestions?
  • hdbikesrulehdbikesrule Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dream Cruiser. I bought this car about 10 months ago, and have had nothing but problems. Hopefully someone here can help!
    First thing that happened was that the fog lights would stay on. The only way to turn them off was to keep the blinker on. Then that didn't work anymore, so I took it to the dealer where I bought it from (not chrysler) and they replaced the Mass electrical switch (whole new blinker), then it kept having a dead battery, took it back again, and found "nothing" wrong. Kept happening, and then it wouldn't start. They replaced the starter selonoid. Then it wouldn't even crack over. Kept having to turn the key about 200 times (not joking, literally) and then it would turn over. So they decided to replace the starter. Still not fixed.... I had them remove the remote starter thinking that it could be the culprit, nope. Now I have this awful grinding noise coming from the alternator area. Still, the car won't start, or the battery goes dead. I still have to keep turning the key numerous times to get it started. As of today, I couldn't get the key into the switch. Had a service guy come out and he had to pound the key in to get it started. Took it to the shop, and got attitude cause I want a Chrysler dealer to look at it. Why is all of this happening?? Since the last time they worked on my car,( to disconnect the "remote" starter), my sun roof, tempurature, and directional gauges, and my left front speaker don't work. Called the dealer and they said that disconnecting the starter didn't have anything to do with those switches.
    Please, I need someone who knows what to do with this car!! I can't trade, cause I owe too much!! PLEASE HELP !! :sick: