Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Jack- No reason I should waste my money by actually buying one :-)
  • joenhjoenh Member Posts: 11
    Yes Craig, about every 3-5 seconds on the steep grade. I remember following a sand truck one night when I could see alternate patches of sand and then ice. It seemed like the bang occurred each time a slippery spot came up and I was trying to accelerate slightly.

I will be curious next storm to see how the new transmission control works. Supposed to be softer.

Much more than this, I really want to find out why the brakes stayed on the other day until I shut the engine off and restarted it later. I hope it's not when I'm going down the highway.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Did the brake problem occur soon after any significant work by the dealer or a mechanic?

Craig
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    quit drinking coffee

That could explain a lot! (joke!) or is it alot :-)

Here's the service costs link:

Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Saying bye for tonight... but first a chat reminder. Starts in ~20 hours and the link is on the left. Wonder if anything special will happen at it?

Steve, Host
  • ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    That could explain a lot! (joke!) or is it alot :-)

That seems to depend on whether you're over or under about age 25. <sigh>
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my last attempt at advice regarding this damned ext. warranty. Man -- what a gamble. My advice has been 50/50 in favor and against buying it.

I'll make the decision tomorrow, I suppose. I couldn't get up I-85 in rush hour traffic in time to buy the warranty from the dealership rep with whom I spoke last night. Oh, well.

Regarding the 30K service -- I paid just under $400 for mine 2 months ago here in Atlanta. That's after having them take out the oil change which I'd performed myself the week before. That's about all the service I can get away with doing on apartment complex property.

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • m4ethm4eth Member Posts: 101
    Has anyone installed another radio in the car for better reception or is the antenna in the glass the major issue for radio quality reception?

Thanks Mike
    Is there such an accessory as a frameless door rain protector???

For doors with frames you can get WeatherTech plastic deflectors that fit around the window frame so you can crack the window during rain and hot weather.

Mike
    Has anyone had problems with the rubber window gaskets freezing (freezing rain or snow) while vehicle is outside making it hard to get into the vehicle without damaging the rubber surrounding the window???

Mike
    No Craig, this vehicle has never been in for dealer service. Just happened out of the blue.

Joe
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Shortly after I got my 02-L, I replaced the mediocre factory radio with a Sanyo single din AM/FM/Casette/single CD. Sound was Much improved using the factory speakers, which were later replaced also.
    Only catch is the power feed to the Intenna Amplifier. There is an antenna amplifier mounted by the rear window. It gets powered by the radio. I used the power antenna lead on the new radio to power this lead. #14 in the car wiring harness, blue wire with a red tracer on the 02 if I remember correctly. If this post correctly, here is how the Car wiring harness connector looks when you look at the 'face' of it.
    1 2 3 spacer 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Put some silicone spray on a rag, then apply it to the window gasket. Make sure that you don't spray it directly because some of the propellents are harmful (cause it to dry out).

-Dennis
  • ken_from_njken_from_nj Member Posts: 105
    have gone thru all last winter & 2 snow/ice type
    storms so far this winter - never once had the windown on the 03 forester stick/freez to the rubber gasket thus preventing the door from opening - nor was the rubber gasket ever damaged from opening a door in sub-freezing weather. just my experience.
    Mike- What's wrong with the radio reception? I'm perfectly satisfied with mine. Also, my Forester has been in freezing rain and no problems with the rubber window gaskets (but it did take a fairly strong yank to get the door open).

-Frank P.
  • d0ugd0ug Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to all for responding. It looks like dealer is trying to make an extra $700.00 on my maintenance. I think that I will search out a local independent since there are no other local dealers. Chicago area would be next closest. My wife and I love the Forester. Great car inspite of greedy dealers. Thanks again. AL
    They exist but not in the States. IIRC, Pat was able to order a set from a supplier in England.

-Frank P.
  • speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    Doug -

When I had my 30,000 mile checkup done at the local Subaru dealer I wasn't happy either. Even though I gave them a detailed list of what Subaru recommends for the service they did some extra work without letting me know, and the bill was higher than I expected (around $500, still nowhere near the gouging that your dealer is trying to attempt!). Since then I have asked around and found a wonderful import repair shop that has really top-of-the-line service, and I feel much better taking the Subie there. In fact, my Subie is there right now getting an oil change.

There may not be one around you, but ask around and see if there is a good private shop that knows Subaru. Peace of mind, honesty, and integrity are things I'm willing to pay a bit more for.
    These sky-high service visits remind us that today's dealerships don't make much money on the sales floor; the real bucks roll in from the service bays.
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    The internet broke open the whole myth about MSRP, and our WalMart-ized brains now want the car for virtually what the dealer paid for it nowadays. Selling and servicing cars isn't a public service, so of course the service part is now so dang expensive.

That's why I forged a good relationship with a reliable, local import-car service shop. I'll gladly pay their $60/hr. since all the dealers in my area now charge $92/hr.
    Actually, the Internet (while more convenient) was a johnny-come-lately regarding invoice pricing. That information has been readily available for decades. Inexpensive car-price guides have been sold on magazine stands for 30 or more years that fully tabulated MSRP and invoice prices for new cars and various options. I used one for the first time in 1970 to buy a Plymouth Custom Suburban wagon right after bailing out of the USN.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Edmunds.com, Inc. was founded in 1966 for the purpose of publishing new and used automotive pricing guides to assist automobile buyers &#151; and Edmunds.com continues to publish automotive guides today." I think the name was changed along the way to add the dot com.

link (you can still buy the books).

Steve, Host
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Before the internet, I used to get the invoice pricing order spec sheets direct from the dealer.
    No Craig, this vehicle has never been in for dealer service. Just happened out of the blue.

Joe
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Has the brake fluid reservoir cap been removed for any reason? Particulate contamination internally or externally could be the problem. You could always have your brake system flushed.
    My brakes on my old '67 TR-4A progressively locked-up one day a few miles from home - was down to 1st gear & 5k to get it into the driveway. The rotors were glowing red hot so I quickly sprayed them with water as evenly as possible to avoid the wheel bearing grease & any dripping fluids from lighting it up. I suspected that dirt had gotten into the porportioning valve not allowing the fluid pressure to release since the problem worked itself out after a couple of days. Nope, no warped rotors after the quenching.
  • glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    What are your recommendations on dealers and independents for maintenance?

Also, would like to converse with you off-line about some non Subaru topics. Please shoot me an e-mail. Thanks.
    I sent my e-mail address. I like the dealer from whom I bought my XT (Carr Subaru in Beaverton, just west of Portland). However, they're westside and I work farther away than they can transport me if I leave the car for service. Their service dept is open Saturdays, but only for minor stuff like oil changes - no weekend warranty work. Therefore, I'll have to use a dealer closer to work (Wentworth). They were overpriced and completely useless during my car-buying process, but who knows - maybe they service better than they sell. As for independents, I haven't owned my Sube long enough to have tracked any down yet. Sorry.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    We charge $265 for the std 30K that goes by the book for the subies. Add in diffys and tranny fluids and it brings you up to about $300 with syntetics about $395ish. Most dealers charge around $350-400 for the "std" service.

-mike
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I think I might have to pay you a visit one day. :)

Greg
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No problemo, just shoot me an off-line msg whenever you want.

-mike
    Frank....you said "They exist but not in the States. IIRC, Pat was able to order a set from a supplier in England.

-Frank P.

Do you have an address or web site of IIRC and the brand name of the framless protector made in England?

Thanks,

Mike
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    If I remember they were once available in the US but was discontinued due to noise issues or something along the line. Also, they are rarely brought into the US by vendors because it is a Royal Pain to ship. One vendor complains that they often suffer breakage during transit which makes offering them very expensive.

-Dave

Joe
    Dirt in some part of the hydraulics was my best guess too, but I don't know how the system is constructed. I think I will mention it to Subaru tommorrow. I'll think I will also get the service manual for that area and see I can spot something.

Joe
  • mre4mre4 Member Posts: 15
    As long as we are on the subject, any of you have any experiences, good or bad, with the service departments at the Subie dealers in Albany and/or Corvallis or any good independent mechanics in same area? I bought in Portland but would prefer local service if competent....price is not a huge issue but time is.
    Can someone tell me what there best gas mileage has been for the Forester 04 model with Automatic??? Anyone get close to 27mpg highway...and what about city???

Thanks,

Mike
    You asked Frank Do you have an address or web site of IIRC

That got me smiling. IIRC isn't the name of a supplier. It's e-mail shorthand for "if I recall correctly". Plug that back into Frank's sentence, and it'll make sense.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    03 Forester XS auto: best was 28mpg on a long trip (with the car loaded up with three people and gear). Typically, we get 22-24 mpg in daily mixed driving (70% highway).

Craig
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    hypov is right.
    I ordered the wind deflectors through a US serviceman stationed in Japan and when they finally arrived even though in original Subaru packaging, and packed very well, one broke. I had insurance but the Post Office didn't want to honor it. I had to go through many hoops even when the PO declined to honor the insurance stating that I didn't include the packaging material. Luckily The local postal people had written on the statement that all the packaging material was turned in to them. I had to go through the appeals process and 6 months after beginning the process finally got reimbursed.
    Not sure I would want to go through that experience again.
    Gene
    Too Bad Subaru doesn't take the initiative to offer frameless wind/rain guards/deflectors as an accessory!!! HINT HINT HINT

...I'll bet it would be a #1 seller.

Mike
    I've never driven a car with door-window deflectors. Wouldn't they add considerable wind noise to an already unquiet Forester at highway speeds?
    Mike- Try www.japanparts.com
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Have had them on since day one. Zero issues.....very nice to have when you are stopped and want to crack a window without the water dripping in.

Was meticulous in mounting them which I think was the problem with people woho complained of the noise.

Bought them from a dealer in New Hampshire....IIRC...$125.

OK....just my .02
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I'm planning to buy a new Forester in a few months (currently own MY2001 S+ model). I really like 5-spoke alloy wheels on my current Forester, more than new design.

I wonder if there might be any issues fitting my old rims to the new MY2005 Forester. In general, is any problem with using older alloy rims (that ran for almost 100K)? I mean, some problems with metal getting "tired" or somehow deteriorating through the years and miles of usage?
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    I was wandering what the largest tire size can fit onto the stock steel 15 inch wheels that are on our forester L. I currently have the stock 205-70-15 on there but I want something along the lines of 225-60-15. Would these be to wide for the rims and would there be any clearance problems? thanks for the help.

Kyle
    Kate- Unless you've been secretly driving on the WRC circuit, I don't see metal fatigue being an issue. Of course unless you're as OCD as Pat, there's going to be some normal surface wear-and-tear on the old rims. AFAIK, both wheels and tires are the same size so that certainly won't be an issue. However, I do suggest that you give the new wheels a chance. I wasn't too enthused about them initially either but they do grow on you.

-Frank P.
    Your 2001 wheels are 15", right?

If so, they will not fit any 2nd-generation (2003 or later) Forester. Increased brake sizes require 16" wheels. 15-inchers will not clear.
    Jack- Ah hah! Finally something I can definitively call you on! The 01 S has standard 16" wheels so it's a non-issue (disappointed you didn't believe me in my previous post though ;-)

-Frank P.
    OK, then, riddle me this:

If at least some pre-03 pre-2nd-gen Foresters came with 16" wheels, then would any used 16" Forester wheel fit correctly on the newer models? I'm still shopping for 4 wheels for snows. Obviously no 15" will work, but what about 1st-gen 16 inchers? Will they clear the larger '03 brakes?

Also, were there any earlier-gen 16" steel wheels that would fit, or were all 16-inchers alloy?
  • subkidsubkid Member Posts: 94
    I think that all 16" pre 2003 rims are alloys

K
This discussion has been closed.