Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• blkdipblkdip Member Posts: 1
    I just recently had to replace passengerside rear brake ligt. I felt like you did. You will need a small slotted screwdriver. Run along the length of lens cover vertically(cover is held on by suction w/ male-female )pull against cover and body of vehicle apply slight pressure to bring up the lens cover. Apply pressure evenly to upper and lower part of lens cover. Once the male member starts to slide out of the female member you'll be able to see better. Please this is not sexual just the best description i can give you tha best describes how lens cover is held on.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Hmm, well the odometer dying may be a good thing. Imagine trying to sell your Liberty in the future...

"2002 Liberty Sport Clean LOW MILES!!!!"
    :) :P ;)

OK, seriously. Have you had it since new? Check the fuses for the dash lights, your owners manual should state which one to check. Also... if you're on your original battery, it is probably time to change it. Libertys do very weird things when the battery is dying.... and this just happens to be one of those weird things.
  • mlb2006mlb2006 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, no complaints about the odometer not working, but I would like to be able to know when I'm almost out of gas and how fast I'm going. ;)
    I've only had the car a little less then a year, I bought it from a wholesale dealer.
    I'll check the fuses and see if they need replacing, the battery though is less then 6 months old.

This problem seems to happen more when I have my headlights on. Think there's any connections?
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Have your alternator and battery checked, definitely. Go to any autozone, they can do it, I think for free.
  • mlb2006mlb2006 Member Posts: 3
  • jwmayjwmay Member Posts: 1
    I was driving home on a 2 hour trip .. all of a sudden my break light came on, cruse controll stoped working, speedomiter stoped working and odomiter stoped. I called my mechanic and was gunna bring in the next day but as quickly as it happened it was gone. It comes and goes every once in a while. my mechanic tells me it could be a loose wire from a harnis to the computer goin bad any ideas?
  • madrockmadrock Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new to this forum, and I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. I tried searching for it, but didn't have any luck.

I bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport for my wife about 2 weeks ago. Everything has been great thus far (other than the stained seat problem). As I was going to drive it last night, I noticed that the instrument panel would not light up when I turned on the parking light and/or head light. I thought it may have been a blown fuse, but I could not figure out which fuse it was from the owner's manual. The closest ones I could find where #13 and #34, and both checked out okay. I also tried adjusting the interior light lever but it was to no avail. All other interior lights work just fine.

The only change I have made is the aftermarket CD player I installed last week. I don't know if these two correlate because I have not had to use my head lights since I installed the CD player. Since this all occurred late last night, I have not had time to troubleshoot any further. I will attempt to backtrack my steps by removing the CD player and placing the factory unit back in, and then manually pull all the fuses to check them when I get home from work.

If someone has experienced this before and could spare me all this trouble, I would greatly appreciate it. I called the dealership for some possible pointers, but they just want me to bring it in. BLAH.
  • neons8neons8 Member Posts: 1
    2002 liberty the dash lights all of them keep going on and off while I'm driving. It also does it it if I just turn the key to on. it my take a minute on two then it just keeps doing it. I replaced the ignition switch and jigged wires can't find it. Please help

neons8
    In God we trust
  • pvan1pvan1 Member Posts: 3
    The fan blower(any speed setting such as # 1-3) cuts out after driving about a mile or two in the morning then comes back on after about 3-4minutes and runs fine. After a stop, fan motor does not run for 3-4 minutes then kicks back on. I have replaced resistor but no change. Could this be a problem with the relay located in the Power Distribution Box in front of the battery?
  • capecodbobcapecodbob Member Posts: 2
    I have a '05 Liberty and can't find any reference to getting the headlights to come on automatically in the daytime ,or what some manufacturers call 75%.
    Does anyone know if it has the capabilities to do this? And if so ,how?
    Thanx in advance
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    I have an '05 CRD Limited and it does not have this capability. I sometimes just turn the headlights on during the daytime when I think I need to.
  • colonellamarcolonellamar Member Posts: 2
    While driving yesterday in 96 F. temp all of my engine diagnostic lights came on as if I was starting up. The air
    conditioner was running but nothing seemed abnormal. The lights went off after about two seconds, and no other symptom appeared.
  • pvan1pvan1 Member Posts: 3
    Replaced the relay in the PDC box and it works great! Cost for dealer part was $10.50 including tax :)
  • colonellamarcolonellamar Member Posts: 2
    My '05 Liberty CRD does not have DTR lights. As a matter of fact, they were not required by federal regulation as of that date. Many vehicles being sold to Canada and other countries are required to have DTR lights.
  • btc2319btc2319 Member Posts: 3
    A/C blower 2nd speed stopped working then 3rd stopped. Resistor in or under glove box is the fix for this that I have found? Unable to locate?? Am I missing it or is it behind something?? can anyone out there give me an idea as to where to find? Looks as if it is held down with 2 screws? Already have new part.
  • walker89walker89 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Appreiacte if anyone may give me a link or information about Liberty 2005 Wiring Diagram and Backup Wire. I am installing a rear view camra and video system. Thanks.
  • simon3710simon3710 Member Posts: 5
    My daughter's 02 Liberty headlights were not working. Brought it to the dealership for a recall and asked about the headlights. High-beams work, fogs work. He said it would be $800+ to fix the problem. He said it was the Body Control Module. Did not allow him to fix it yet. On my way home I hit a bump in the road (common in New Orleans) and they came on! Could this be a lose ground? I'm pretty "hands-on", couldn't I just replace it my self if it were really bad? Where is it located, under hood or under dash? :confuse:
  • gaporrasgaporras Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 freedom edition

I don't know what happened but all at once the instrument cluster lights, rear passenger tail light and passenger front marker light all stopped working. There were no surges that I am aware of and no new electrical items (radios etc.)

I checked every potentially related fuse and couldn't find any that were bad or even looked suspicious. I decided to change the light bulbs and still nothing.

The brake lights work and the front passenger turn signal still works but the lights are still out. I have gone through all of the standard things that I think it could be and I am stumped.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to get more opinions.
  • mmx1997mmx1997 Member Posts: 1
    I have a sort of similar problem. My passenger side low beam doesn't always work. Sometimes when I first turn my lights on it won't come on, sometimes it will. Sometimes it comes on after only a few minutes sometimes doesn't come on at all. If I switch to high beams and then back to low the passenger low won't come back on. It's really weird. Sometimes hitting a bumps turns it back on, sometimes not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is also an '02 Limited. :confuse:
  • andyzammandyzamm Member Posts: 1
    This might be the same issue as above and only coincidental we had an accident. Our 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited was in a small fender bender and was repaired. They replaced the front bumper and some of the front lights, can't remember which ones. Anyways, the passenger side low beam does not work while the driver side low beam does. The high beams work on both sides as do the fog lamps. I switched the bulb and fuse and it resulted in the same problem. So I eliminated those two items. Another note of interest is the driver side running light is out but the turn signal works. Is there any correlation between the two in the harness?
    The headlights and the speedometer did not work in my 02 Jeep Liberty. I had no problem with the fogs or the high beams. The dealer said the Body Control Module was bad. I replaced the body control module and the Junction (fuse) box. Now the speedometer still does not work. The odometer is on but does not advance. Any help out there? :confuse:
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    Check the speed Sensor.It should be on the transmission.
    I changed the Body control module and the speedometer, odometer, headlights and everything else is working. Today, the engine light came on and the oil sensor alarm beeped. Now what?
    You have to find out what code came up to see where the problem is.I hope you checked your oil,if thats ok,it could be the sensor,but you need to see what the code says.I'm assuming your talking about the check engine light when you say the engine light.
    Question: I was able to reset my "timer" on my other cars because every so many miles the oil light or check engine light would come on at oil changing intervals. I bought this Jeep used and have only had it for 7 months. Is it possible this 02 Jeep Liberty Limited has to be reset to turn of the oil alarm and check engine light since I just got the oil changed 50 miles ago?
    I take it you don't have the owners manual.If you do check there.My daughter has a Grand Cherokee,and her service engine light comes on when the oil needs changing and she has to reset it everytime.
  • movingstarmovingstar Member Posts: 1
    I purchase my 2005 jeep liberty new 2 years ago,My dealership in town went out of business about a year ago.I service my suv by the recommended service schedules through the dealership. My suv was tuneup and had oil changes as throught the service manual.My suv now has 38,217 miles about 2 days ago my check engine light comes on!As I open the engine compartment and look at the wires I notice a few wires exposed,I was told these wires are for the fuel injectors and a total of six wires are exposed with about a inch of wire exposure. I was ask to called the Chrsler Corporation by the next closest dealership by by home. And chrysler corp. told me that my suv was out of warranty by 2817 miles,I now that this problem was there proir to us finding it!Owners beware of these problem with the engine compartment!!!!
  • fredomexfredomex Member Posts: 2
    My daughters 2002 jeep has the same problem with fuse blowing..radio..door locks inop..interior lights inop.
    Just happened a few days ago. Looking for any answers.
    Found it !!!! behind glove box. All you see is a multi-wire plug. The part, which looks like a circuit board, actually slides into where plug plugs in. loosen the two screws and part slides out. new part slides in circuit board first and tighten screws plug in and your done. Ten minute job. Dealer wants to, well lets just say, unimaginable things to you . Dealer wants couple hundred and tells you it is an hour and a half job. Go figure!!!!
  • liberty7liberty7 Member Posts: 1
    ">I have the same problem with my 2002 liberty. I have not found the problem. Help us. :confuse:
  • crosbytrcrosbytr Member Posts: 2
    Any idea where I can get this resistor online? I don't have the time to stop by the dealer to pick it up.
  • fredomexfredomex Member Posts: 2
    Our problem was wiring on drivers side sun visor. Where the visor attaches there are three screws. A wire came loose and shorted out under one of the screwscausing fuse to blow and thus take interior lights, radio and dooor locks.
    Hope this helps!
  • scorpion9791scorpion9791 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me. I am trying to wire a 4-flat wiring harness directly to the wiring in my 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade. I have found the wires for the turn signals and ground but cannot locate the 1 wire that controls both the brake and parking lights. There is a white/tan wire that is just for brakes and a green/yellow for just parking lights. Can I splice both of these wires into the brown wire on the harness? Or is there just 1 wire that will control both.

FYI: the wires I'm splicing are located at the rear of the jeep inside a white plastic channel at the edge of the rug under the plastic trim.
  • meemakmeemak Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 liberty and have had NUMEROUS issues with this!! No repair shop has been able to diagnose what causes it. When it first happened, they thought it was just a few spark plugs, and they replaced the coil pack. It's always my radio/clock, locks, and interior overhead lights. Then eventually after a few days it'll take the dash lights and possibly the high beams with it. It makes a weird sound when it happens-kind of like having a stone or acorn hit the car and drop a few times. Unfortunately, i've had this repaired-this week will make it the 4th or 5th time since I bought it in November 2003!!! VERY frustrating but repairable. THe sparks and coil pack themselves aren;'t that expensive-it's the time it takes for someone to diagnose the possible problem and the time it takes to fix it and double check it that really adds up$$.
    Let me know if someone finds something else to be the cause of it-i'd love to know-i like my jeep a lot, but unfortunately, next car will probably be something else.
  • stevie48stevie48 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jeep Libetry and have a problem I haven't read anything about or at least couldn't find anyone with my problem.. My interior lights remain on when driving the jeep. Ok I know some of you'all might think turn of the interior light switch but trust me thats been tried till I was red faced and ready to pop. Hope someone out there has the answer to my problem..
  • yakersyakers Member Posts: 10
    A defective interior light switch?
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    If you don't see the word 'door' warning you on the console, it should be a switch, harness or solid state relay problem. You have to start playing with the connectors of the wiring harness to isolate the problem.
  • jeep427jeep427 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 liberty is doing this too! It takes about 15-20min of driving then it will do it. Dash lights stay on. Blinker lights stay on inside and out. Local dealer no help. They say the switch might need replacing, but he was not 100% sure. let me know if you ever found a cause.
  • rdgibbyrdgibby Member Posts: 1
    When i came home in my 03 liberty and turnit off the clicking sound appeared and the only way to stop it was to start the jeep and turn it off again . What can this be?
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Could you try to switch off every accessory except the engine, wait 5 seconds to make sure they really went off and then turn off the engine?
    I also have recurrent erratic electrical conditions when the ambient humidity is low. I just live with it :(
  • jeepfreak2jeepfreak2 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Liberty Limited. The battery light came on breifly the other day. The gauge cluster, and I mean all the lights, came on briefly today. No stalling or anything major, but it sounds like the problem you're describing. Did you get any fixes?
  • bobolibertyboboliberty Member Posts: 1
    I had similar issues with jeep liberty 02. started with sentry key flashing. I finally got the car started and while driving the gauges panel all went to zero then back up. Brought to shop and they said its a short in the the main wire harness that goes along the drivers side floor board. Don't know why they would put wireharness so close to feet and where it gets damp. 1800.00 part $$$
  • azrael69azrael69 Member Posts: 1
    I need a new connector (male end, 4-prong) for my right-side after-cat o2 sensor. Please let me know if anyone is parting out a Liberty or knows where I can snag a connector and about 5 inches of wire. Thanks guys!
  • jrcaljrjrcaljr Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 2WD with 22,000 miles and it has an electrical problem. The warning lights in the dash just randomly flash on and off and they flash so fast that you cannot usually see which one it was. About every ten minutes or so, any one of the lights will do that. Also, twice the O/D Off light comes on (while stopped in gear or coming to a stop) and it started to blink like someone was playing with the O/D Off button. The last problem with this mystery is chime will sound every so often and none of the warning lights come on to indicate what the chime was for. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
  • pucharepuchare Member Posts: 1
    Thought I would respond to this because you tipped me off about the passenger lights not working. My gauge cluster quit working the other morning. I checked all the fuses (in the dark) and couldn't find anything. Once I saw this thread, I checked and lo' and behold, my passenger lights weren't working either! I looked up the fuses and saw that number 9 controls the cluster, license plate lamp & the right side running lights. Pulled it again and it was blown! Those fuses are too small... you really have to look at them closely. Hope that helps! :)
  • jeepgirl05jeepgirl05 Member Posts: 14
    Hope posting this is the right spot?
    My Liberty, its a diesel, notice right after got it, under where the speedometer area, where it has a blackscreen like, the area that tells you if your in 4wd & such. At the bottom of this it says "TYPE 43" its not lit up, but its always there, although I noticed if its in 4wd it doesn't say this. Took it back to dealer, service shop said theres nothing wrong with it, actually don't think they had a clue either. They didn't have another diesel to check & see if it was on it too. Does anyone else's say this? What does it mean?
    Thnx!
  • gaporrasgaporras Member Posts: 4
    Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! puchare
    You nailed it. I have looked over all of the fuses and they all seemed to look good. The problem was that the fuse blew at the base of the fuse link and it was very hard to see. :blush: I changed the fuse and it worked. :)
    I can't believe that I missed it but thanks for the help and thanks for taking the time to post and help me.

Also, does anyone know if daytime running lights came standard on the freedom limited edition? :confuse: I noticed that there is a place for the fuse relay but there isn't a fuse there. I know that sometimes people will pull them out if they don't want lamps on all the time. In any case I was curious and would like to use them if I have them.

Thanks
    G
  • liberty2002liberty2002 Member Posts: 1
    I agree that has got to be one of the dumbest design that any engineer could come up with ( main wire harness under the floor board of driver's side of the vehicle ). I've had my '02 Liberty in the shop about 5 times and had sections of the main wire harness replaced, apparently water had been sitting in there for some length of time and corroded the wires. This is something that should really be a re-call, Chrysler didn't do well with this.
  • coach831coach831 Member Posts: 1
    I'm sure somebody has already answered this - but - the TYPE 43 is simply the Manufacturer's Model. I was test driving a Liberty and in the late New England afternoon the sun made it seem like it was lit up. I bought it back to the dealer and they explained it. It's printed in a fluorescent red - but it is only a manufacturer's logo. It has no bearing on the vehicle operation or condition.