Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Audio/Entertainment System Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
From AM/FM to satellite radio to ipods and mp3, discuss your entertainment system issues here.

Comments

• mapinmapin Member Posts: 27
    I'll be getting an A3 with premium, audio package etc. But I'm wondering if the audio will have an auxillary input for any mp3 player, or a special connection for an ipod, or is there something i'll have to add 3rd party to get an ipod connection?

thanks
    mark
    anyone know about an ipod connector for the A3 with standard audio ?

the dealer didn't know, he said he'd check into it for me.

I just picked up an A3 yesterday for $30,280:
    Lava Gray
    DSG
    Premium Pkg.
    Cold Weather Pkg.
    Open Sky
    Xenon
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    Congratulations.. What color leather do you get with the Lava Gray?

Any opinion on the DSG?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    Congratulations.. What color leather do you get with the Lava Gray?

Any opinion on the DSG?

Did you pay MSRP?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mcdonst1mcdonst1 Member Posts: 8
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Just spoke to a dealer. The ipod adapter will be available by mid to late july. Perfect, until then I'll be using my iTrip FM transmitter, which works fairly well.

8E0-051-444 IPOD ADAPTOR 170.50
    Looks very similar to the Denison ipod adapter, probably the same thing.

The SD cards are great...if you have navi option. I don't have SD slots with my standard audio :)
  • acorin88acorin88 Member Posts: 14
    I am possibly interested in the ipod connector as well (it is not negated by the Bose system, just by an external 6 disk changer, the brochure doesn't make that clear). The only decision you have to make is ipod or satellite radio with either the base sound system or the Bose package.

I'm not sure about the base system but with the Bose system (and no nav as on my car) I have been able to play CD-Rs loaded with either MP3s or WMA files. It's not a perfect solution as it doesn't appear that you can get the stereo to display song or album titles (it says CD 3, Track 18 for example), but it certainly raises the amount of music available beyond a simple audio CD.
  • slacker99slacker99 Member Posts: 1
    A few days ago in the ipod thread, acorin88 said it was possible to play wm & mp3 cd's in the bose cd player, but that the artist/title/folder information would not be displayed. I can't get any music out of the two mp3 cd's I've tried.

I've tried a joliet CD and a plain ISO9660 cd loaded with mp3's. On both, the premium radio finds one track (i assume it's the cd data track which should be parsed as a filesystem) and pretends to play it, but nothing comes out of the speakers.

I tried the plain iso9660 in a sony portable mp3 cd player and it finds 101 songs spread throughout a few folders.

Does the A3 cd player expect another format or a flat filesystem? Anyone have detailed instructions for the proper cd burner settings to make a disc that I can play in my car?
  • acorin88acorin88 Member Posts: 14
    Hey slacker99, I'm not an expert on this, and don't really understand some of the stuff you've posted, but I'll try and describe what I've done that has worked.

I've now used several other MP3 CDs and they work, sorry to hear that they aren't on yours. I have been using mostly "Sony CD-R Audio 80 min" CDs as well as 700 mb CD-Rs from Sony and Verbatim. All of them just have the song files loaded on the disks as-is not in any folders or sub-folders and are generally at CD quality sound (don't know if that makes a difference).
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    I test drove yesterday a Premium with DSG. No aux input. The salesman said there is an adapter but I don't think it comes from Audi, as it does for the BMW. So probably a third-party setup.
    It would have been easier for them to put an aux. jack than SD slots.

Anyways, there aren't too many MP3 players which use SD cards. Most have fixed flash memory. Or hard drives.

People with iPods (and there are a lot of them and many iPod owners probably fit into the target demographic Audi is aiming for) may also have a lot of AAC music files, so even if they transferred their AAC files (either with or without DRM), they probably won't play.

Plus one of the main appeals of digital audio is that you can have tons of music, maybe your entire library, on one device. With SD cards, you'd be swapping files al the time. Not as inconvenient as making mix tapes but not as convenient as having one device you can play at home, office and car.
    I just spoke to my local audi dealer, the ipod connector should arrive by late-july to august. it is through audi. it'll plug into the cd changer connector in the glove box, so if you have a cd changer, then you cannot have this ipod connector. it will work similar to the bmw connector.

thx
    mark
    I just installed a 3rd party ipod connector (dension icelink plus) to my A3. Took 45 minutes to install, and works great. There's even a nice little spot in front of the shifter and ashtray to keep the ipod. I attach a picture link here for anyone interested:
    http://www.princeton.edu/~mpinsk/IMG_0157_3.jpg

I just have the standard audio single cd head unit. No satellite and no cd changer, so i don't know how/if they would work with this.
    So the Denison Icelink is displaying the track info. on the head unit?

And allows control from the head unit and steering wheel controls?

Did you have to get behind the head unit to install it?
    Any A3 owners have the standard audio (concert II single-cd head unit) PLUS satellite radio (XM or Sirius) ?

I'd like to hear what you think of the satellite radio integration. Is it intuitive to use thru the head unit? Any annoyances?

I have the standard audio, and it's pre-wired for satellite, so I'm considering having Sirius installed.

---------------------
    Arrived on 6/2/05:
    2006 A3 DSG
    Lava Gray/Gray, Premium, Climate, Open Sky, Xenon.
    Dension iPod kit, Motorola HF820 BT kit.
    yay!
  • a3juliaa3julia Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought an A3 (love it!) in the U.S., with no Bose audio upgrade - just a single disc cd player. I currently have my IPod going thru FM, but it's really not great. Anybody know what I need to do to wire my IPOD thru the cd player or if I need a new system? Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this... Would welcome any thoughts or tips!
  • billxbillx Member Posts: 1
    Try looking in to the Dension Ice Link adapter, available either through their online store or at your local Best Buy.

It's a neat little product - it plugs into the external CD changer port on the back of your radio's head unit, and allows you to connect your iPod directly into your stereo. Best of all, you don't have to use the iPod's UI to select playlists or change tracks - it integrates with the CD controls on the radio, which makes it much easier to use when driving.

There are a few drawbacks to it, however. It costs $200, but if you're driving this car you shouldn't have a problem scraping up the extra cash for it. It can be kind of difficult to install, because you have to remove the head unit, disconnect the battery, snake a wire to the glove box, plug everything in correctly, and make sure that the unit is grounded correctly. Pulling out the radio is probably the toughest part, as you need some special OEM tools to do it, and they're not included with the kit. I was about to order a set from this site, but it turned out that I didn't need them. I borrowed mine from a buddy who installed the unit in his A4, so I lucked out.

If you're not comfortable with this, then I'd recommend finding a reputable car audio shop and have them do the work.

Hope this helped.

-Bill
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    I am considering ordering an 07 A3 2.0T and am looking for some opinions on the base stereo vs the Bose upgrade.

Is the Bose worth the extra money? Has anyone upgraded their base stereo with aftermarket components? If so, how easy was it and were you pleased with the results?

Considering how crappy the lease rates are on the A3 I may just take out a loan. If I buy instead of lease I would likely want to skip the $1200 upgrade and spend a lot less in the aftermarket to improve the base system.

thanks, for the feedback.
  • dyendyen Member Posts: 9
    I had a similar question when I was purchasing my A3, and since I also bought instead of leasing, I didn't want to shell out the money for the upgraded system.
    I'm quite happy with the standard stereo, but this is a pretty subjective thing. I can tell you that I find it superior to the upgraded Monsoon system I had in my VW.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    Thanks, for the feedback. I'll make sure to listen to the base system before deciding ... for a $1200 savings I'm sure I'll like it. The only thing missing from the base system is sat radio, but maybe I could add that later?
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    I have an '06 A3 with the factory installed Sirius satellite radio. Is there a way to show the name of the song on the radio display? The station name shows on instrument panel display and the station's category shows on the radio.
  • tonicboytonicboy Member Posts: 2
    Hey Bill,

Thanks for that info. Can you give any more information on the actual process of taking apart the center console? I'm fairly comfortable with cars and did a custom installation of my iPod for my old Honda, but I can't find any info on disassembling the A3 center console.

Thanks,
    tonicboy
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    I'm considering buying another A3 but this one does not have satellite radio. It has the stock head unit which has the "Sat" button. How easily (if at all) is satellite radio added to this stereo?
  • giggles78giggles78 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a second-hand audi a3 which has a handsfree kit installed. In the last week, I haven't been able to play any radio or cds as the word 'telefon' is written on the screen, and I can't change it. The car's manual is in french so that is no help. Has anyone else experienced this and what can I do to get my music back? I don't use the handsfree kit at all.
  • s_linejesses_linejesse Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 A3 S-Line 2.0T with a factory installed Ipod glovebox interface. The radio is an Audi concert with satilite radio prewiring (not activated).
    The question I have is; when I insert my Ipod, the radio just displays CD track numbers. No song names are displayed. :(
    What do I need a $250 interface for if the display shows no more than a normal audio Aux input?
    Is there a setting that needs to be made that is not apparent to me?
    Any suggestions?
  • tonicboytonicboy Member Posts: 2
    There are no settings, nothing you can do. Currently, there is no interface I know of that will show song names. It just sucks and you have to live with it.
  • s_linejesses_linejesse Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply.
    Sounds like you answer from personal exper!
  • kamil131kamil131 Member Posts: 1
    Guys i need your help im a newbie at this entertainment stuff, im planning to buy a AUDI A3 2001 REG in the UK.

The question is, is it possible to install a flip out monitor/entertainment unit in a standard factory console? will i have to take certain switches, knobs, out?? or they will stay intact and only the radio/cd player taken out? and the rest still can be used as normal? that would be the climate control ET AL

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • dbuchholtzdbuchholtz Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyway to set up the system so that the radio does not automatically turn on when starting the car. I like listening as much as the next guy but I'd like to choose when to turn it on. Thanks.
  • buzzy8buzzy8 Member Posts: 31
    I am in the process of researching a purchase and learning about Audi Connect and the Navigation System. I do not think I woud want to spend the fee of $30.00 for the Audi connect, but is it tied into the Navigation system? Is there a charge to just use the Navigation system? Also, does the vehicle have to be parked in order to use the Navigation system. We did install a toggle switch in our Toyota and was wondering if this is an option on the Audi? Thanks!