Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio Electrical issues

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited November 2018 in Kia
Discuss Kia Rio electrical issues here.

Comments

• genebrewergenebrewer Member Posts: 1
    My wife was driving her 2003 Kia Rio Cinco yesterday afternoon when it suddenly died. She had only traveled about 10 miles, and it was still daylight. She said the car lost all electrical power (no lights, would not turn over, nothing). She said she tried it several times and was about to give up when suddenly, it turned over and started. I looked for anything obvious (loose battery cables, wires, fuses, etc) and she had the local parts store put it on the computer analyzer. Nothing came up. The car was a fleet car and we bought it from the dealership with 11000 miles on it. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • aubreydaubreyd Member Posts: 7
    My Daughter just purchased a 2001 Kia Rio.It is running a little rough so we took it in to have the codes read.According to the shop the P code is"cpkl" which apparently is the fuel injectors.When I pulled the middle 2 connections from the injectors it didn't make a difference on the way it run.I have tried injector cleaner but no help.Could it possibly be a bad injectors or a fault signal to the injectors.Could someone please help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can buy an inexpensive "noid light" to test for injector pulse.
  • lboogie0617lboogie0617 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2006 rio about 3 months ago. It has less than 50000 miles.The battery has drained on me 2 times. The first time I was at home so it wasn't a big deal. I have 24hour roadside assistance with my insurance so someone came to jump it and I drove it to the dealer. They said the battery was drained and they recharged it. I didn't know what had caused it to drain. I thought maybe door wasn't closed all the way and the interior lights were on or something so I set all of them to off so they don't come on when you open the door. It's been 2 months and I was leaving walmart and the engine died when I was trying to leave. I turned it off and restarted it. I was halfway backed into the aisle and it died again. I tried to restart and it wouldn't start. So waited a few seconds and tried again. It started but I could feel the power fading so I just coasted the car back into the parking space. I had my sleepy hungry baby and all my groceries in the car. I had to wait an hour for a tow truck to take the car to the dealer and for someone to pick me and the baby and all our groceries up and bring us home. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership. I don't want them to just charge the battery again and give it back so I can have the same problem in another 2 months when I have my baby with me. Does anyone know if there is a recurring problem with the batteries or alternator or starter? If other people have had the same problems what did you ultimately have to do to fix it? I do not want this to happen again..
  • melvin32melvin32 Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing the same issue. My battery has drained on me at least 4 times in the past week. Did you ever figure out what caused the problem?
  • cynthiacynthia Member Posts: 4
    I bought a used 2006 rio about 3 months ago. It has less than 50000 miles.The battery has drained on me 2 times. The first time I was at home so it wasn't a big deal. I have 24hour roadside assistance with my insurance so someone came to jump it and I drove it to the dealer. They said the battery was drained and they recharged it. I didn't know what had caused it to drain. I thought maybe door wasn't closed all the way and the interior lights were on or something so I set all of them to off so they don't come on when you open the door. It's been 2 months and I was leaving walmart and the engine died when I was trying to leave. I turned it off and restarted it. I was halfway backed into the aisle and it died again. I tried to restart and it wouldn't start.

Same problems, except my battery was totaly ruined. Today I have 5th battery in my car within one (1) year.

I really liked KIA. But after this experience, I'm not sure about their cars at all.
  • pstricklandpstrickland Member Posts: 1
    I have 2004 Kia Rio, it die for no reason, you can hear the starter click but nothing else all the lights come on and radio plays but thats all. I put a computer on it and it brought up the codes for a malfunctioning crankshaft sonser and gear 3 inproper ratio. Well I replace the sensor and checked the battery and starter and both passed. A freind said it was the ingintion, on the drivers side, where it goes in the barrrel, it make just shut off and the reason the it wont start is because the starter is not getting enough power. Has anyone had the same problem.
  • erokzokerokzok Member Posts: 2
    I've had my Rio since it was new back in 2002. Never had any real problems until a year ago the check engine light came on. I got out the code reader and it says it's: evaporative system fuel vent valve circuit open. I've changed the charcoal canister and all the solenoid valves around the gas tank. yet i still , even after clearing the code, get the check engine light to come on. the gas cap has already been replaced too. Does anybody know of any issues with this problem? I cant smog my car until its fixed and the dealer wants too much money to diagnos the problem yet alone fix it.
  • bprenticebprentice Member Posts: 1
    tighten your gas cap; i have the same problem, the first time the dealership told me i needed to have the factory issued gas cap instead of the locking gas cap i purchased, the first time the check engine light went on i had to pay $150 to get the light cleared, only to find that if i tightened my gas cap to clear the light. Something to keep in mind is that some auto parts stores will check the diagnostic lights for free.
  • reddrocrreddrocr Member Posts: 1
    Same exact thing just happened to me. What was the final cost to repair everything? I'm on a tight budget and need to start saving. Thanks for any info.
  • erokzokerokzok Member Posts: 2
    I haven't fixed it yet. I am also on a tight budget and I can't afford it yet. I think it is in either the computer or wiring harness. there is an upgrade for the ECM but in order to have that done you have to bring the car in with a "no check engine light" status. I've replaced everything that has to do with vapor return. (ie:charcoal canister, pressure relief solenoids., ect)
  • kg74kg74 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I have a 2004 Rio, a couple of months ago my driver side window got stuck in the down position. My mechanic replaced the window motor and i've had no problems until the other day when i went to unlock the car with the remote enrty key the locks went up and down a couple of times then unlocked, the next day i drove to work and when i turned the ignition off the doors locked and now they will not unlock and stay unlocked. The driver's door will not unlock or open now and the other doors you have to pull up the button and quickly open the door before it locks again. Has anybody had problem like this or have any suggestions. Thank you
  • fancyfern42fancyfern42 Member Posts: 1
    how do you remove lense cover off rio 2005,brake lite covers????
  • sunflower2sunflower2 Member Posts: 2
    Ok i saw your message i have the same car, but an 03 and i would never buy another kia ever this car is a money pit.
    I had my battery die in 2008 i think i bought another from an auto parts store luckly it quit,but was under warranty and i went to the same store and bought an extreme weather battery like $70 havent had any trouble and the starter was replaced in dec 09 a piece of advice any auto part store can test your starter or altenator for free i had my starter replaced by firestone havent had any trouble since.
  • fiumandfiumand Member Posts: 1
    I have a disfunctional starter, it is new and has the same problem I had before, its not the atarter then, nor the solinoid, the battery is c harged, what gost lurks down there???? help!!!!!!
  • djv0905djv0905 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    This may be a little late for some of you. I have experienced close to the same problem on my 2006 Kia Rio5.

For me my battery keeps draining and jumping the car it would start right up.

First problem I noticed...
    I had replaced both bulbs for my tail lights after one burned out and now the tail lights will not turn off if I keep the day lights switch on. So I turned off the lights completely and turn the lights on manually at night. I may buy my bulbs from the dealer and see if that solves this problem, but for now keeping the lights off until i need them is fine.

My other problem...
    A short in the batteries negative cable. I would have power inside the car but the car will not start. By connecting the negative battery terminal to the frame with jumper cables the car would start right up. I had to replace the negative ground wire ($61 from the dealer - auto parts store do not and can not order the part).

I have had no problems since I did both of these things (only been a few weeks, so I will see).
  • riokia2004riokia2004 Member Posts: 1
    I got the same exact problem. Since few day I was experiencing the problem and it used to start after trying for 5-10 mins. Now it is not starting at all and I can hear the starter click sound and light, indicators and alert sounds etc., Please let me know how you fixed it, my car is in my parking lot and not starting up.
  • djv0905djv0905 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    My car would jump start right away when I hooked it up to another vehicle. My problem was a bad connection in the negative cable from the battery, I could get enough power to run lights and such but not start the car.

Corrosion build up on your terminals can cause you to lose connection. In my case there was no corrosion at all on the terminals. I connected one end of my jumper cables to the negative terminal on the battery and clamped the other end (of the same color) to a bolt on the frame of the car (any metal on the car will do - the battery is actually bolted to a metal bracket under the battery tray). My car would start right up with no problems when I did this. After replacing the negative cable coming off the battery, I havent had any problems at all with my car battery draining and starting.

If you can try connecting the jumper cables to the negative terminal and then grounding the other end to the car and it starts right up then you will need to replace the negative cable on the battery (have to have a charged battery to do this of course). You can by a generic cable from an auto parts store (Kia uses 4 gauge wire) for about $5 us for a 20" cable. There is a bolt on the battery tray that has a bracket to hold the battery. That bolt holding the bracket is also screwed into the same bracket under the battery tray that the original negative cable is bolted to so will not cause you any problems
  • sufan1sufan1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem as #14. Did you ever find out why. I need to get my car inspected and it won't pass with this problem
  • john6161john6161 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings

My daughter’s 2001 Kia Rio has intermittent starting problems. It may start 10 times in a row however on the 11th try NOTHING. Will not turn over or anything else. The battery is strong but apparently each time it has not started she had it boosted and it started. Makes no sense to me as battery is good.

I have it in my driveway, started a few times no problem but now will not start, as I said will not even turn over, sounds like an ignition problem to me but I am a novice. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I'd tighten up and clean the battery cables--they may look clean but may not be. My other suspicion would be the starter relay, and my third guess the ignition switch. Here are some tests you can try but ONLY when the "no start" happens.

Switch on the headlights and turn the key...do the headlights dim? If you you have battery or cable issues..if not, then relay or ignition switch issues I'd guess.

To test the relay you'd need to get a test light and hook it up to the relay (which usually sits on the starter motor and is called the starter solenoid)--you're hooking it up to the + from the ignition switch. If you turn the key and it lights up, then it's the solenoid...if you turn the key and it doesn't light up, then either the ignition switch or the wiring going to it.
  • john6161john6161 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I am going to give your suggestions a try
    edited November 2011
    Good luck...the fact that the car starts with a jump isn't a real clue, because a surge in backup amperage with two batteries could overcome corrosion or electrical resistance on a bad relay.
  • reflexseanreflexsean Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Kia Rio in 2001 have it still 145000 miles on the clock I had starter problems simpler to yours so I opened the staring column to get in at the back of the ignition switch the switch is held in by one screw it was loose so sometimes when you turn the key the switch would not turn all the way it only happened sometimes went on for over a year had starter off and checked hope this helps
  • andytinaandytina Member Posts: 1
    03 kia rio it will start and run but then once it is warm and you shut it down it wont start again until it has cooled off again. Its like there is a constant draw on the starting system.
    So far we have checked the following
    battery it is showing 12.7 amps not running and 13.7amps running
    changed the cooling fan sensor, fan will not run
    any ideas or anyone with similar problems
  • pinky63pinky63 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 rio automatic with engine light probs every now & then, Mech. told I should replace gas line fr. tank to front. It prob. has a pinhole in line and that can cause light to come on . I bought car last year. Also the 2 prev. owners had my car in for reg. check-ups and what I can find they never had a single major problem with it.It has 170,00.00 Kil. on it and I put 10,000.00 of those Kil.on[ hwy kil.] Thanks good motoring
  • pinky63pinky63 Member Posts: 2
    Hi 04 rio owners I want to drive from nova scotia to Calgary about 5,200.00 Kilom. I would like suggestions whether or not to try it. Car has 170,000.00 kilom. should I change timing belt first [was changed at 100,00 kil.] and there is still 30,000.00 left on it. Has anybody put that many kilom. on one please let me no thanks.
  • dchevdchev Member Posts: 38
    Hi guys and gals,

I have 2012 Kia Rio5 SX with Nav system.
    I had an issues with blue tooth of the nav system, so dealer replaced it with another unit. I have the feeling that this unit is refurbished, so I have request to all of you who have Nav Systems in your Rios.
    Please post Firmware Model, Map Model, and Nav App Model of your Nav systems.
    I will really apreciate it!

It is very easy to find out all information about Nav system in our Rios.
    1. use "set up" button on the right side of the screen.
    2. use "main" button on the screen.
    3. use " system info" button on the screen.
    Thus, you can see all information!
    This is what I have got for my Nav system:

Firmware ver.: UB.USA.M1.110525.020
    Nav app ver.: UB.USA.SOP.001.110523
    Map Ver.: USA.04.05.26
    Also, could you share if you have two dots on the side of CD slot where you insert the CD that the lights are on. I have two dots on the side of CD slot; however, only the dot on the left is switched on all the time.

Thanks, DM
  • simon33simon33 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I've got some starting issues with my 2006 Rio5 manual car. Sometimes, when I turned the key, there's nothing going on under the hood, just as if the battery was out. Except it's not, it scored around 12 volt on the voltmeter when I checked it, and the first time it happened, I tried to boost it with a boost pack and it wouldn't do a thing ... After a while though, it may start for no appearing reason. The first time it happened, I couldn't start my car for 2 days. I was then checking with a voltmeter if the electricity was good in every component of the engine when it revved up out of the blue. I'm pretty affirmative that the voltmeter I was using is not the solution here. Just to check, I unplugged the voltmeter and tried to start again my car with no result. It's only when I plugged back the voltmeter on the wire I was testing that it started once more. It has then started regularly for 2 weeks, but the sh** happened again this week-end. I drove my car for 5 min to the gas station (it had started perfectly), but after i filled up, it wouldn't start back. I waited 15 min and then it started. When I got home, i couldn't get it to start back until this morning ...

THIS is pretty annoying as I can't rely on my mean of travel ... Has someone had the same trouble here??? Do you have a clue on what the problem could be?? I spent a whole day in a garage but the car would start every damn time the mechanic tried it ... was pretty upsetting!!

Thanks in advance
  • ukchic2ukchic2 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I leased a 2012 Kia Rio almost 3 months ago. I have a huge problem with the Active Eco feature. (Don't know if it's an electrical problem....) When the engine idles it switches off and is supposed to come back on when the break pedal is lifted. Our engine does NOT always come back on. Very dangerous when in traffic. (I usually am when in my car!) I know the feature can be switched off, but it has to be switched off every time you start the car, and I don't always remember.

Am taking to the dealership tomorrow, but I wonder if I will be taken seriously, especially if the problem doesn't duplicate during a test drive.
    Anyone else experienced this with the Rio?
    I think they'll take you seriously, especially if you mention safety concerns. I also think it's electrical in nature--perhaps a malfunctioning brake light switch. This start/stop feature is integrated into a number of the car's systems (temp sensor, battery condition, engine RPMs, etc) so it could be a bit tricky to track down an intermittent problem. You may have to be patient with the dealer and/or the system might have to fail completely before it can be remedied.
  • buusfurrybuusfurry Member Posts: 1
    Well i purchased my Kia Rio brand new in 2009 and my car stereo has no audio on top of that my overdrive button is malfuctioning..and one day last week i was driving at night and EVERYTHING but the car cut off! I still have payments .. at this point I am doing oilchanges and thats about it..not putting money on parts. I give it two more years tops!
  • vidarvidar Member Posts: 18
    The car is heading for the dealership for warranty work due to the UVO system and display being intermittent. My daughter will be taking it, as the car is not local. As she has not dealt with dealerships before concerning warranty maintenance, I want to arm her with info about any known problems with this system beforehand so that the service department will not treat her wrong.

She told me the UVO system ocasionally resets when the car is shut down and restarted. Have not disconnected the battery as of yet, as I have been told by one dealership that there is a dealership reboot required for the cars electronics when the battery has been disconnected. I have not verified if this is correct or not.
  • skeptic101skeptic101 Member Posts: 29
    There has been some discussion on another Edmunds forum about the DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) on the 2012 & 2013 Rio5 SX. Do any owners here have an SX with DRLs? If so, do the DRLs use the LEDs below the headlights or reduced power of the high beam lights? Thanks!
  • drainingtimesdrainingtimes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Rio with the battery drain problem. It has been going on for years until I noticed it only happens in the summer. If the A/C is left on when the engine is turned off, it appears some kind of relay is left on which drains the battery, rather quickly. Perhaps the AC clutch?

A jump will always get the car started and everything is fine until the AC is accidentally left on again. Clearly some kind of design problem. I have seen other complaints about this online, but good luck trying to get Kia to acknowledge or fix the underlying cause.
  • vvirkvvirk Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

First time I'm posting here, hopefully someone can help....

My 15A "Room" fuse under the hood keeps blowing, there is obviously a short somewhere but I can't find it, neither can the Kia mechanic.

I disconnected my stereo, clock, dome lights, trunk light and AC and the short is still there, even while the car is turned off and the key is removed (all the doors are closed as well)

Anyone else have this issue? Is there anything else that is connected to this fuse that could be causing the issue?

Thanks....
  • mooze1251mooze1251 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 kia rio and it has started the battery drain problem. I make sure every time I turn it off that everything is off...a/c, radio, lites...etc...yet it will decide not to start without any warning....I end up having to get a boost and never know when it will happen again. I have been told it was not the battery, alternator or starter. I have gone thru three new batteries since I bought this car. this intermittent start problem just started a few months ago. any one had success in getting this fixed?
  • pmdonaldpmdonald Member Posts: 1

I have a 2008 Kia Rio5 and was having problems with the battery occasionally and seemingly randomly being dead. Apparently, if you unlock your car, open a door to take something out and lock it again without starting it, it will send power to the accessories which will drain the battery. In retrospect, that makes sense of most of the problems. I had. Hope this helps!

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@saugerknaut said:
    THE FIX FOR KIA RIO BATTERY AND STARTING ISSUES!!:

Welcome to the forums and big thanks for posting info that I'm certain will benefit everyone.

• 04kiario04kiario Member Posts: 4

@aubreyd said:
    My Daughter just purchased a 2001 Kia Rio.It is running a little rough so we took it in to have the codes read.According to the shop the P code is"cpkl" which apparently is the fuel injectors.When I pulled the middle 2 connections from the injectors it didn't make a difference on the way it run.I have tried injector cleaner but no help.Could it possibly be a bad injectors or a fault signal to the injectors.Could someone please help.

Try checking your upstream HO2 sensor or (oxygen sensor). I was having this issue with my 04 kia rio and was thinking it was injectors, until I stumbled over a manual I got for it at mitchellsDIY.com. And it stated that the upstream oxygen sensor tells your ecm info to send signals to your injectors. It's worth a shot because they are really easy to replace and may fix your problem.

@john6161 said:
    Greetings

My daughter’s 2001 Kia Rio has intermittent starting problems. It may start 10 times in a row however on the 11th try NOTHING. Will not turn over or anything else. The battery is strong but apparently each time it has not started she had it boosted and it started. Makes no sense to me as battery is good.

I have it in my driveway, started a few times no problem but now will not start, as I said will not even turn over, sounds like an ignition problem to me but I am a novice. Any advice would be appreciated.

Try checking ECM(cars computer), or possibly ignition coils?
    Did you try checking your alternator? because they will drain even a new battery if given enough time to. Since the alternator is your charging system for your battery. that could be the case.

@cynthia said:
    I bought a used 2006 rio about 3 months ago. It has less than 50000 miles.The battery has drained on me 2 times. The first time I was at home so it wasn't a big deal. I have 24hour roadside assistance with my insurance so someone came to jump it and I drove it to the dealer. They said the battery was drained and they recharged it. I didn't know what had caused it to drain. I thought maybe door wasn't closed all the way and the interior lights were on or something so I set all of them to off so they don't come on when you open the door. It's been 2 months and I was leaving walmart and the engine died when I was trying to leave. I turned it off and restarted it. I was halfway backed into the aisle and it died again. I tried to restart and it wouldn't start.

Same problems, except my battery was totaly ruined. Today I have 5th battery in my car within one (1) year.

I really liked KIA. But after this experience, I'm not sure about their cars at all.

Have you had your alternator checked?

@sufan1 said:
    I am having the same problem as #14. Did you ever find out why. I need to get my car inspected and it won't pass with this problem

upstream heated oxygen sensor

• jeff28024jeff28024 Member Posts: 1
    Kia Rio 2013 SX hatchback. The abs, brake, traction control, and tire pressure warning lights come on randomly while driving. Sometimes the outside temperature will change from an actual figure to two dashes. The air conditioner will blow hot every time that happens. The air conditioner blows cold again as soon as the outside temperature updates to an actual figure. The warning lights randomly come on and sometimes flash. Even more occasionally the airbags and another warning light that looks like a steering wheel with an exclamation mark will come on when all the others are on. Sometimes I can reset them by turning the car off for a minute and back on. This has been happening for a few months, very randomly and not very often. Last Saturday it all happened about twenty times in a row while driving for about an hour. All the lights come on, stay on for a couple of minutes, then go off for a couple of minutes, rinse and repeat. The drive home had no issues, same hour long drive. This morning all the lights were on and stayed on as soon as I got in the car and started it for the first time today. They did the normal stay on, blink, go out, etc. along with the outside temperature and air conditioner issue. But they never went out for an extended period as they have before. Also, the car seemed to have an issue with shifting and felt sluggish. This is a new symptom only happening this morning. I drove straight to the kia dealer. I spent about half an hour explaining all this to them. The service advisor even saw the lights on. I received a call about three hours later. The dealer is telling me they cannot get any of the conditions to occur now. No lights, nothing, they said the computer isn't reporting any issues and has no fault codes. They are at a loss as to what to do. I am thinking I will have to just drive it until it completely fails. Any ideas?
    jeff28024 said:

I am thinking I will have to just drive it until it completely fails. Any ideas?

Electrical gremlins can be very difficult to pin down, and if they can't get the conditions to happen again, they can't simply start guessing and doing things that will cost you money. As long as the car is functioning and the lights don't seem to affect that, driving until the condition is "permanent" may be an option, but I personally would be very observant of what's going on with the car. Your observation of shifting and sluggishness might be related it might not. It simply could be that you're just on a heightened awareness and noticing things that are normal or have been there all along, but now look or feel strange. Sort of like when you notice a perfectly normal noise in your car, but it gets into your head wondering what could be causing it and wondering if it's a problem.

I always start to write things down and keep a log of what's happening to try and see if there's a pattern of conditions that might be causing the issue.

The whole outside temp display going to dashes and making the air conditioner blow hot air has my mind leaning towards an electronic/computer type of gremlin rather than some kind of physical wiring issue.

Keep us posted on how things are going. Sometimes just writing it down here and rereading it will throw light on things.
  • samanthafunksamanthafunk Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2012 Kia Rio 9 months ago. The rear defrost button clicks on and off all the time and it started killing my battery after my car was turned off for even 20 minutes. I've taken it back to the dealership and they don't know whats causing it. Whenever I go over bumps or make left turns it really acts up. You can hear it clicking really loud in the fuse box & the Kia dealership replaced the fuse box but it is still doing it. Anybody know of anything??? Very strange.
    Sure seems like a short somewhere, especially when you talk about going over bumps and making left turns. Something is loose and moving around. All sorts of videos online about finding shorts.
    shows a clever device, but it's a bit pricey at just over $100. Here's another that shows how to do it using just a test light
  • jeff1825jeff1825 Member Posts: 1
    jeff28024 said:

Kia Rio 2013 SX hatchback. The abs, brake, traction control, and tire pressure warning lights come on randomly while driving. Sometimes the outside temperature will change from an actual figure to two dashes. The air conditioner will blow hot every time that happens. The air conditioner blows cold again as soon as the outside temperature updates to an actual figure. The warning lights randomly come on and sometimes flash. Even more occasionally the airbags and another warning light that looks like a steering wheel with an exclamation mark will come on when all the others are on. Sometimes I can reset them by turning the car off for a minute and back on. This has been happening for a few months, very randomly and not very often. Last Saturday it all happened about twenty times in a row while driving for about an hour. All the lights come on, stay on for a couple of minutes, then go off for a couple of minutes, rinse and repeat. The drive home had no issues, same hour long drive. This morning all the lights were on and stayed on as soon as I got in the car and started it for the first time today. They did the normal stay on, blink, go out, etc. along with the outside temperature and air conditioner issue. But they never went out for an extended period as they have before. Also, the car seemed to have an issue with shifting and felt sluggish. This is a new symptom only happening this morning. I drove straight to the kia dealer. I spent about half an hour explaining all this to them. The service advisor even saw the lights on. I received a call about three hours later. The dealer is telling me they cannot get any of the conditions to occur now. No lights, nothing, they said the computer isn't reporting any issues and has no fault codes. They are at a loss as to what to do. I am thinking I will have to just drive it until it completely fails. Any ideas?

Jeff 28024.....Curious if you are still having dash light problems with your Kia. I have a 2013 Kia Rio EX that has exactly the same problems. 10 months ago it happened and I took it in to the dealer. They kept it two weeks and ultimately replaced the computer. For 10 months it seemed like it was fixed, then it started again. I took it to a different dealer and they said it had to do with the aftermarket alarm system that the original dealer put on before I purchased the car. They removed the aftermarket alarm and all symptoms went away. 4 weeks later and all the original symptoms are back. So I'm back at square one. Oh--the only thing additional that happens to mine that you didn't mention (or I missed) is that when all my dash lights are on, along with losing A/C and shifting problems, I also lose power steering. Curious to see if you have had luck with the repair. I'm thinking about trading this nightmare in on something else. I currently have 31K on it. Jeff
  • EdcawhisEdcawhis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Kia Rio that is having the exact same issue as jeff28024 and jeff1825

The car has 92 thousand KM (about 58k miles), so not really new but not that run down either....

Did anyone ever find out what the issue was ? the car is in a Kia dealership now, they checked it but can't find the problem.......