Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra Tire/Wheel Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Discuss tire and wheel options or problems for your Kia Spectra/Spectra5 here.

Comments

• spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Here's a link to (and an excerpt from) an Australian article on the Cerato that may shed some light on why the U.S. spec Spectras are now shod with Goodyear Eagle LS's!

http://tinyurl.com/6qfd7

EXCERPT:

In fact, it is the engine's strong performance that highlights one of the Cerato's two major failings: the Hankook tyres. Our test car came with Hankook Optimo K406 15inch tyres and their performance is a definite lowlight, potentially holding the Cerato back from being a better car.

In the dry the Hankooks are OK, if a little prone to road hum over coarse bitumen. In the wet these tyres can be a real liability. Grip levels are adequate when cornering at normal speeds, providing you're not trying to accelerate at the same time. Attempt any amount of lock - let's say turning from a side street onto a main road with flowing traffic - with a need for acceleration and wheelspin is a real handicap.

Braking, too, is a problem in the wet. As Russell mentioned in our first drive (above) the brakes can grab unnecessarily, and in the wet that is a real hazard - ABS would be a real boon in these circumstances. Shame the Cerato doesn't have it standard, then. One other way to improve Cerato's wet weather performance would be to fit different tyres after purchase, perhaps Bridgestones or Dunlops.

There's also a good chance that better tyres would improve Cerato's bump soaking abilities - one area heavily criticised above. Clearly the Cerato's not trying to be a sports sedan, so its roly-poly ride is not going to be a big issue to suburban owners, and we had little problem over our seven-day test. But the ride quality was harsher than it needs to be over road joins, tram tracks and the like, and hinder what is an otherwise extremely competent, comfortable package.

Overall, we really liked the Cerato in its role as comfortable, well-appointed, well-priced urban transport. With better tyres we would have no hesitation recommending it as a bargain-priced alternative to Corolla, Mazda3 and Pulsar. But if driving's still fun to you, think carefully about the Cerato's dynamic limitations.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    getting a Kia Spectra5, the fun factor. The 1999 Kia Sephia was the Kia vehicle that got me interested in Kia in the first place. Once I had Yokohama 70,000 mile all-season radials slapped onto Konig Diva wheels that Sephia handled like a dream! It was so much fun to drive after that!

The Kia Spectra5 just looks like it would be fun to drive straight-from-the-factory. Question for Spec5 owners: what kind of tires does Kia put on it OEM? Goodyears? Are they nice and good-grippers?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• geomaticsgeomatics Member Posts: 60
    Goodyear RS-A's on mine 205/50-16, I am not a big fan of goodyears. but they seem to be wearing pretty eveny on 8000km
    maybe they'll be a good fit on the Spectra5.

thanks for posting that tire link. I read it and the Goodyear's look to be the right "fit" for the '05 Kia Spectra5. They are built with an aggressive paw for cornering and handling fun. Sounding good, gentlemen! :)

• canuckkiafancanuckkiafan Member Posts: 21
    I have to buy some snow tires & am interested in hearing back from others on their choice of snows and performance. I have some 14" used only one season, I'm not sure if I should stay with them or go for 15" + new wheels. Feedback appreciated!
    Hi, I just bought Nordik icetracs' for the s5 but i mounted them on CT multi-fit rims... My suggestion to you is to go to your kia dealer, and get factory rims... 64$ each. My kia dealer in Ottawa Ontario Canada, has winter tire rim combo's for $600 installed. pretty good deal. The multi-fit rims never really got perfectly centered on the studs causing an extreme vibration at speeds.

got new OEM rims and were golden.

Good Luck
    Geo
    Hi Geo,

Thanks a lot for the info. What size of tires did you end up getting? I called my dealership in Ottawa and they told me the suggested size was 15" for the Spec5. They also tried to sell me the $200/tire + steel wheel package to me, but I've got 14" Yokohamas that have only seen one season. If that size is okay then I would only need to buy the rims....may check out the dealership for those rims though - have to make it soon given the forecast!
    Thanks again.
    I put the sedan OEM size of tire on a 15" OEM Rim. tire size 195 60 R15. fit nice, runs smooth now.

the CT icetracs' saved my [non-permissible content removed] this morning with the snow and blackice on the hwy.

Good Luck and enjoy the season
    Geo
    Finally got some snows on this week after shopping around, Toyo GOs 195-60-R15. What a difference - a definite must have IMO for this weather. Ended up back at the dealership, they came down in price once I told them I had been quoted ~120$ less elsewhere.

Am still pleased as punch with my Spectra! :)
  • arb000arb000 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2005 Spectra 4 door in the GTA and having a hard time getting winter rims/tres other than CT one size fits none - even from local Kia dealers who quote me $110 a rim from Kia plus tires etc - we're up to ~ $900. Please tell me which dealer in Ottawa has the winter tire package - I might even go there to get one! Alternatively which OEM rims did you get? (I am assuming KIa 4 door has similar rim/trespecs as the S5 - i.e 195 60sr15's installed)

Many thanks

arb000
  • arb000arb000 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am looking for winter tires/rims for my 2005 KIA Spectra 4-door. I'm in the GTA. Any ideas? I would prefer KIA rims or at least OEM's that fit. The dealers have been unhelpful. Thanks!

arb000
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    You might try places that sell used or nearly new take-offs from Spectras. You can get them at considerable discount. Try eBay. Also, consider looking at Hyundai OEM alloys from 01 thru 06 Elantra GT as there are the same 15x6 4-117mm lugs. Other options include looking for third party wheels from Discount Tire or Tire Rack
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I replaced the original tires with Cooper CS4 a few weeks ago on my 2005 Spectra5. So far, I haven't found any difference on dry or wet pavement. They are supposed to be better in snow. That is a major reason for getting them, so I won't be sliding around in winter. I'll post later after a few snows. These are rated at 60,000 miles.
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    GY RS-A in our experience are OK but not great. I don't recall wear issues with them, but they are completely useless in snow.
    Eagle LS also seem OK in dry and wet, but they too have very limited snow traction. Rather than buy (or try to find) another set of steels and TPMS sensors and buy winter tires--by now you're looking at over a $1,000+ bill--I installed some Dunlop SP60s. All season tires, they're incredible in the snow and work fine in all conditions. Slight size discrepancy in that they're 195/65/15 vs the 195/60 that's stock, that's a 3% difference. Very happy with these tires, somewhere around 65 bucks per at tire rack. About the same at treadepot. Probably won't find them at your local tire shop.
  • ladyunnerladyunner Member Posts: 1
    What dealership in Ottawa and how long is it on for?
  • draggon_10draggon_10 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Kia 2006 spectra5. My tire size is P205/50R/16. Can I use P215/60R 16?
  • draggon_10draggon_10 Member Posts: 2
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Probably not. That is up 3 sizes.
  • andynoloandynolo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Kia spectra-5, bought new :confuse: . I have come to the conclusion that Low profile tires are stupid. Cost twice as much, last half as long. Can I put regular spectra tires, or another type in this car? I had the option to have regular profile when I bought it. Should have taken it. Pains me to think how much more I have spent on tires over the years.
    In order to put on non-low profile tires, you have to change wheel diameter. Kind of expensive!!

However, if you are careful, you can find low profile tires that will have the wear characteristics you desire.
  • andynoloandynolo Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    So, it is possible. Is there any compatible 15" rim on any existing car. How can I find out which ones, I remember the sales man at the dealership told me there was an alternative wheel that I could have used. Does another make use it?
    To find compatible wheels, you need to work with a retailer. Tire Rack is a good one and you can research this on-line.