Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe Engine Questions

Comments

• jan38jan38 Member Posts: 1
    My granddaughter has a 2003 Vibe and is having a similar problem in that the engine light keeps coming. The catalytic converter was replaced in Sept, 2008. Now less than a year and less than 15,000 miles later she is having the same problem again. I'm in hopes that this information may help her mechanic solve the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to let the readership know how you finally resolved your problem.
  • Chuckles37Chuckles37 Member Posts: 16
    Vibe 03, 105K miles. My check engine light came on at 97K and the code said plugged converter. Change both converters and both O2 sensors and the problem has not returned. One side benefit of changing the O2 sensors was gaining about 10% in gas mileage. Found out O2 sensors gets lazy which results in lower mileage and they are only good for about 85-100K miles. Expensive consumable.
  • leed1leed1 Member Posts: 7
    i bought an 09 2.4L automatic and have been experiencing a hard downshift from the transmission. as well as hearing it you can actually feel it when it drops into the lower gear. i brought it into the dealer a couple days after i purchased it and they said there was an upgrade on the computer to address the concern. unfortunately it did not resolve the problem. then i was told by the dealership there is another temporary fix until the engineers at GM figure out the problem. however they said there is no guarantee this next fix will take either and it may not be worth trying it?
    now GM has told me it is the shift adapter and it will resolve itself after 5,000-7,000 Kms. i find that hard to believe and am wondering if anyone else experienced this issue and what was done? given i just purchased the vehicle i'm hoping earlier buyers of the car have some info.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yep, I have a similar problem with my 1.8 liter Corolla Vibe. My 2009 shifts poorly, especially when trying to get the automatic to downshift. I have read the TSB on reprogramming the PCM. I have yet to take it in. I am wondering if the tranny on the 2.4 is the same as the 1.8? I sometimes am able to "slam" the transmission when puttering around 25 mph and asking the tranny to suddenly downshift to give me more power. The bang is something the Ford folks at Mazda used to call slamming and was an indication that the tranny was bad. I doubt it is anything serious after only 12.000 miles, but it is beginning to get annoying.
    Here's the chatter from over at GenVibe:

New bulletin.
    #09-07-30-010: Harsh Transmission Downshift When Stopping After Transaxle Has Upshifted to 4th or 5th Gear (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM)) - (May 13, 2009)

Subject: Harsh Transmission Downshift When Stopping After Transaxle Has Upshifted to 4th or 5th Gear (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM))

Models: 2009 Pontiac Vibe

Equipped With 5-Speed Automatic Transmission -- RPO MVD

Condition
    Some customers may comment that they experienced a harsh downshift feeling when coming to a stop after the transmission has been in 4th or 5th gear.

Cause
    This condition may be caused by the PCM calibration for the 2-1 downshift not being optimized.

Correction
    Important: Before proceeding with the reprogramming procedure in this bulletin, the Vibe Programming Application MUST be downloaded and installed on the PC. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-006.

A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition.

Transmission Calibration Information
    Vehicle Type
    Old Calibration
    Revised Calibration

Base Vibe

Base Vibe

Vibe GT

Vibe GT
    thanks maxx. i did have that work done and the problem still persits. the downshifting seems a bit less harsh but its still there. i don't understand why the issue is only with some of the vehicles?

i'm concerned if the problem does not correct itself as suggested in some forums that i'm stuck with this problem with no recourse.
    leed1: I know we would serve the entire audience better if this topic moved over to the transmission page. Moderator, feel free to do so; thanks.
    I just read on genvibe that you are indeed correct; people who have had the computer reflashed have noticed only a modest improvement, and MOST important, that this problem is also prevalent in the Corollas and Matrix. Toyota has a problem here, so I hope their engineers are trying to find out what the solution is. You can research this on many Toyota chat sites. We're all in this together.
  • hardcharger43hardcharger43 Member Posts: 5
    My 2007 Pontiac Vibe with 12, 800 miles ran poorly last night before refusing to start. It was towed to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as a defective "power train control module." This AC Delco part will be replaced under warranty. However, the three year warranty ends in a few months. The part itself costs about $600. Is this a common ailment with Vibes? Will the Toyota Matrix version fit? Or did Toyota buy their version from a different vendor? My last three cars have been problematic GM products ('92 GMC Vandura, '98 GMC Jimmy, and '02 Chevrolet Blazer - I still have the Blazer). I was hoping that this would be all Toyota except for the sheet metal. Now I have learned that AC Delco, whose quality has deteriorated badly over the years, furnished the electronics and other parts. I bought the Vibe with GM card dollars before canceling the card. This will probably be my last GM product as I join everyone else in buying imports. Now I wonder if I should buy an extended warranty. One of these control modules every 13,000 miles would quickly pay for it. Any ideas and experiences would be helpful. Thanks!
    sorry for your troubles. It was my understanding that the first gen Vibe is all Corolla except for the radio and sheet metal. I was not aware that Delco furnished anything else. I'd be suprised if you ran into other problems. Consumer Reports and members of genvibe report few problems with versions other than the 2003.
  • tryshtrysh Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2009 Vibe GT into dealers today, we purchased it two months ago, downshifting is bumpy and car jumps when coming to stop or shifting up. This is what worries me an accident waiting to happen. They are saying it is a Toyota problem and they are aware of this issue, Toyota's engineers are working on it. This is the second time we have had the car in the shop, mentioning the shifting problem before, but of course when the mechanic test drives it nothing happens. He did notice the bumpy shifting.

I called the toll free number to GM Contact Center to register this complaint, and they told me they will stay on top of it and maybe have to call in a Toyota Engineer to service our car.

I was polite to tell them that if after this problem is reported and an accident happens I will gladly sue.

Anyone have any luck getting this problem fixed? I can't seem to find any information on the surging??!? Seems to be getting worse with time. :confuse:
    trysh, check out the post maxx4me put up regarding a bulleting pulled off the GenVibe website. i think you need the upgrade done and its free of charge. copy the bulleting and take it in to your dealer. it might not fix the problem but it should lessen it until a more permanent solution is found.
    i received a call from GM today regarding my complaint and they are convinced the issue will resolve itself after 5000-7000 kms. in my case if it still pursists after that i will get some type of resolve....whatever that means.
    anyway i'm taking this conversation to GenVibe as there may be more hits on the issue.
    maxx thanks eh.
    when I took my Corolla Vibe in for the downshift problem, the dealer naturally said that they could not replicate the issue and also said that the TSB only applied to the Camry Vibe with the 5 speed tranny. I laughed and said: then why does my 4 speed tranny do the same thing as thousands of others that have posted the same problem?? At least now I have it on record. I'm at 12,000 miles and I don't see any possibility that the "issue will resolve itself."
    What I most want to know from all of you is: does anyone's Corolla Vibe (1.8 liter, 4 speed tranny) downshift from 4th to 3rd when going down a hill when you just tap the brake? It acts like a brake assist feature, which to my knowledge, does not exist. With all due respect to genvibe, they are pretty much asleep at the switch over there. We need more discussion on this issue. At genvibe, they seem more interested in saying hello to new members vice discussing serious issues.
    Any thoughts from you 1.8 liter 09 or 2010 Vibe owners would be greatly appreciated. I don't hold out any hope that my tranny is still "learning my driving habits" and the downshift issue will go away over time.
    In the end, my greatest tranny frustration occurs when I have the air conditioning on, and I need the car to downshift to pass or accelerate. I often get a serious delay before the car will downshift from 3rd to 2nd to give me more power. At other times, I can "slam" the transmission when pushing the car to downshift to 2nd. Anybody else have a similar experience?
    sorry maxx mine is the 2.4L 5 speed auto. your right about GenVibe being less than active about this issue. i posted on there awhile back and got little response. also i'm not hearing nearly enough from anywhere if this problem has been resolved for folks, other than a few posts that it went away after so many miles/kms. like you i don't really believe it will go away on its own and will keep picking away where i can.
    yeah, again, the word on the street is that the TSB on the 5 speed tranny stating that a reflash of the PCM will do the trick, apparently doesn't. Toyota engineers are busy trying to figure it out. I just wish that 4 speed Corolla Vibe owners would be more vocal since there is no doubt mine also jumps occationally when coming to a stop, and I also have problems asking the tranny to downshift from 3rd to 2nd when the A/C is on.
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Anyone slowly losing coolant on a 2003 Vibe?

Usually keep an eye on the temp gauge and always below the half point.
    Then about a month ago in the hot summer days, the A/C would be intermittent.
    I thought maybe an A/C problem as the car is almost 7 yrs old.

Then I noticed the temp gauge was hot. Apparently, the A/C would shut off if the engine temp gets too hot - like almost 7/8 of the gauge.

Added about 1.5 quarts of coolant (prestone green) as this is an older Vibe. Also filled the overflow/recovery bucket.
    That fixed it for now and the A/C is good as the temp gauge is back below the half.

I noticed some powder stuff on the top of the fan/radiator near a rubber mount - Drive side. The coolant cap is on the pass side.

Anyone have a slow leak and how often?
    Anyone needed a new radiator yet, and when?

Tx in advance.
    hi maxx, i re-posted on genvibe to see if any new info from anyone....put it under trans problems..
  • magnesiummagnesium Member Posts: 1
    I own an 07 Vibe with 28,000 km. Recently, the check engine light came on, so I took it to a local mechanic. They said they scanned it and didn't find anything, and by then the light was off, so it was probably just the gas cap. Two days ago the light came on again, and this time I noticed a bit of a jerk when shifting from drive to park or reverse. I ran the car a bit yesterday, just to move it from one parking space to another, and the light was off again, and things seemed normal.

I have an appointment with the GM dealership to have it checked out, but not until next week. Has anyone had a similar issue?

A few things to note: I normally park on an incline with the parking break on. I don't do much city driving, mostly highway, and most days I don't drive at all. Less than a month ago I had an oil change and safety inspection (they are legally required where I live) and according to the mechanic, everything was fine, and the fluids were good.

Any thoughts?
    My 2007 Pontiac Vibe does the downshift action from 4th to 3rd when going down a steep hill after tapping the brakes lightly. It is peculiar but I have adjusted. It has 14,200 miles. The other problems described have escaped my attention.
    My experience was similar to what you described. It was the power control module - the $575 computer that governs the engine functions and the transmission action. Check my post under hardcharger_43. Please post you results.
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    the downhill downshift is a feature in my 2003 vibe.
    this was an intentional design.
  • wong23wong23 Member Posts: 1
    The same symptoms and got the dealer fixed it. The diagnose was PCM is intermittantly open, Program code #FDB64, P2716 error code, and the Bulletin #PIP4154A applied. So they replaced and programmed the PCM under 3 yr/60,000 km warranty. Mine had 47K km for the 2007 Vibe. PCM is the main computer box, and good thing it goes before warranty runs out, costing about $1000 to replace.
    The car now runs great, and is shifting gears smoothly as before.
    Good luck.
    thanks for the info Wong. will talk to my dealer about it.
  • alabamgirlalabamgirl Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 Vibe. It has been a good car until the last 2 weeks. My son drives it to school (college). When he leaves class after a couple of hours, it will not start. We have had the starter and solenoid replaced along with a relay. The battery is good. It is driving him and me crazy. Does anyone have any ideas??? Thanks.
    Sign me NUTS in Alabama.
    well first, make sure those stupid map lights are not on. While it should not matter much since your car is equipped with rundown protection, those small buttons are easy to hit and thus cause a drain on the battery. Second, how do you know the battery is good? How old is it? Batteries (especially in the hot south) have short lives and need to be replaced often. So if your battery is four years old or more, I'd get a new one. The heat dries out the cells inside whether it is sealed ("maintenance free") or not. One way to test the battery would be to manually turn the headlights on at night with the engine off and see how long until you notice a dimming of the light.
  • alabamgirlalabamgirl Member Posts: 7
    It is a DIEHARD and I tooks it to Sears to have it checked. Believe me, if it was bad those guys would have sold me another one. I called Pontiac to see if they had heard of anything like this, and of course they had not but said it is the small things that are the hardest to fix. Every time I take it to the garage, it starts just fine for them. Very Frustrating !!!!!!!!
  • lmstlmst Member Posts: 2
    After reading all the entries, it does appear this is a problem with Vibes.
    Also, it seems as if the older models were under 8/80,000 and if I'm right, now the newer models are 3/30,000 warranty. Does this indicate GM is aware of the problem? My older 2005 car developed this problem at 78,000, almost 2,000 shy of having to pay for the repair. Whew!
  • daveb11daveb11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Vibe (1.8 engine and automatic trans) and it has the rough shifting problem with Check Engine error code P2716. It is out of warranty and has been diagnosed as a PCM problem. It is most noticeable when shifting from park to Drive or Reverse, or when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I had the Check Engine error cleared and the problem went away for about 15 minutes, then came back (the light came on also). What is the brake assist option and how do I know if my car has it? If I buy the PCM from a junk yard, how do I get it programmed? I know a dealer can do it, but that is probably expensive. Can anyone else do it? Thanks.
  • con3con3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Vibe's RPM's will go reving to 4 on the drop of a dime. Even at stop lights, signs, or in Park. The car will actually "buck" forward==very dangerous especially w/ winter coming. Yesterday the check engine lite came on again (2nd time in a month - first time I had to 02 sensor replaced as they said that was why the engine with reving) once the engine lite came on yesterday as I was driving 55 mph the speedometer went to 0. car was idling but only going 5-10 mph - I made it back to the dealerlship and its in the garage now - they can not find anything coming up on the computer. By the way - when I put the car in reverse yesterday to turn around to get to the dealership it ran fine (scary) and once the car sat for a while it was fine. Does ANYONE have any idea what this is? I love the car but it is getting really unsafe.
    Check my earlier post. My 2007 Vibe at 15,000 miles would barely start and would die when put in gear. My wife had difficulty driving home the night before. I called Pontiac who arranged towing to the nearby dealership. They quickly diagnosed it as a faulty AC Delco computer command control unit. They replaced it that day. The car has run fine since. This expensive computer controls just about everything when the car is running. Ask the dealer to scan for the codes leading back to the computer. My Vibe had the code that made the diagnosis easy. I worry that the replacement AC Delco computer will be as short lived as the first one. Good luck with that. It is a great car. I just wish all parts were Toyota. Unfortunately, some come from GM's bankrupt parts supplier network.
  • bachurbachur Member Posts: 1
    Actually these cars in general are some of the best cars built in the world. My 04 is running great, oil changes at 20K running 0-20W 100% Amsoil with no drop on the dipstick during the interval. I've owned many cars(25+) and this one is up at the top of the list. Your car could possibly be the worst; every car make has its lemons. I expect to get at least 500K out of this engine with any major work.
  • markwizmarkwiz Member Posts: 4
    The problem turned out to be the water pump. Thank goodness. The only issue, my wallet got cleaned out by the dealer. $600+ But it sure beats a new engine. Car now has 86K and still runs great. I will probably have the fuel injectors cleaned at the 90K service, not at the dealer.
  • elijrelijr Member Posts: 3
    I am having intermittent starting issues with my Vibe since the outside temperature became warmer. I had the battery checked and the mechanic said it was ok. During the cold weather, I never had a starting problem with the car. Could the battery still be bad even though the diagnostic check read otherwise?
    There are many questions that need to be answered given the small amount of information you have provided. First, do you still have the original battery? How old is your car? Is there blue/white powder around your terminal connections that indicate you need to clean them? Does it sound like the car is trying to turn over at the same cranking power as before, or does the sound get muffled and get lower in pitch? Did this just happen over night? If it did, I'm guessing it is not the battery. My inclination would be, if your car is around 4 years old and you still have the original battery, I would go to Costco and get a new one, with much more cold cranking amps than the meager 350 that come with the original battery. Even if it ends up not being the battery, you are due for one anyway and can rule that out.
    Maxx- I bought car used a year ago (2005) and the battery has 350 cc and is 2 year old. When the problem do occurs, the engine sound exactly muffled and lower in pitch. I have this problem about twice a week once its been running for awhile but never when the engine is cold.
    The OEM batteries in these Vibes are not very good. It sounds like a dud to me. I had to have the battery on my 09 replaced after only a couple of months. Many have reported the same things with their 09-10 model year batteries. I cannot remember how long the OEM battery lasted on my 03; sorry. It could not have been very much longer than 3 years, since the car is 7 years old now, and my current battery has been in there around 4 years. I'd go to Costco and get one of their cheap and highly rated batteries by Consumers Union. Best of luck elijr.
    edited March 2010
    This is not an OEM battery, but I think you are right about this battery being faulty, so I am replacing it and hopefully this will solve my problem. Thanks for your input maxx.
  • arthur13206arthur13206 Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2005 Vibe with the Base 1.8L engine. I have about 1 week left on the used car warranty and the engine light has been coming on. I showed this to the dealer and he said he will have is mechanic take care of it. ODB readings are as follows: P0441, P0453, P0441, P02420. These codes seem to be related to the evaporative emissions system.

I just want some idea of what needs to be done so I will know if the dealers mechanic took care of the whole problem and doesn't leave me with a repair job next month. Any ideas?
  • rebecca15rebecca15 Member Posts: 3
    I too just bought a used 2005 Vibe. I had it 2 weeks and the check engine light comes on. I get two codes: P0455 and P0441. I've been doing some online research and found a bulletin item for these codes that says:

A check engine light may be experienced with dtcs p0171, p0441, p0455 and/or p2420 - inspect production part number on pcm.

I have one week left on my warranty too! Not sure what will be involved. So frustrating!
  • oliver17oliver17 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2003 all wheel drive Vibe with 165k miles.I have had it for 5 years and sorry to say it has been a dreadful money pit.I just got through replacing its latest set of wheel bearings and now its engine oil burning problem has accelerated to the point where a set of spark plugs wont last a week. I am not sure if I should cut my losses and junk it or fix it.The car looks brand new. Is it expensive to repair the motor for its oil burning problem.
    there are plenty of used Vibes out there to chose from if you want to keep this style of car. I would not waste money on your car with that many miles. I had a 2003 AWD and gave it away recently. It too burned nearly two quarts of oil in between oil changes. Since it was an AWD (a feature that is virtually unnecessary in most areas of the lower 48 and given today's ESC and traction control technologies) the car is not very fuel efficient either. Oil is getting around your rings and is a costly repair. Moreover, your catalytic converter has been working extra hard to burn the extra "soot"; it is only a matter of time before it fails due to how hard it has been working.
  • oliver17oliver17 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 all wheel drive vibe has been the worst car I have ever owned.
    OK so here is what happened. I took my Vibe to the dealers mechanic and they diagnosed a split emissions hose and dirty emissions valve. The hose was replaced and the valve is on order. So far the dealer has been honoring his warranty. I need to call this week if I don't hear from the mechanic. I hope your situation is an easy fix like this one appears to be.
  • rebecca15rebecca15 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for letting me know. Mine ended up being a loose gas cap. I think. I am kinda a wuss, so apparently I wasn't turning it tight enough. I put some fuel injector cleaner in, and some 93 octane gas and made sure it was closed. I had the auto zone dude reset my check engine light, and i just took a 3 hour trip in it without it coming back on. Hopefully the auto zone dude didn't break the check engine light :)
  • 2004_vibe2004_vibe Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Vibe is an automatic transmission but on cold mornings the idle is at 2500 RPM until it warms up. I have recently taken it to the dealership and they are suggesting changing the IAC valve. They have told me there is no guarantee this will fix the problem since the check engine light did not come on which indicates there is not a problem, but I know my car and I know there is a problem. I looked up the IAC valve (Idle Air Control) and these are to be cleaned every 40,000 miles, which I did not know, and if it fails or is sluggish the computer system in the car may not detect it. I will let you know when I get my car back if this corrects the problem.
  • icanhazcookieicanhazcookie Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD with 140k miles on it last April. After 2 months I had the engine oil warning light come on due to low oil. They Chrysler dealership I took it to diagnosed the problem as a faulty PCV Valve if I recall correctly. The engine still lost oil and when I took it back they said the engine was still burning oil and would need to be replaced. Since then I've been driving it and putting oil into it. Now the catalytic converter has gone bad too and I can't get up to highway speeds anymore. Its a shame since the rest of the car is in such good condition.

We also have a 1996 Toyota Avalon which has had a lot of work done on its engine. The bottom of the car has rusting problems and has had its fuel line and exhaust system replaced. The car still runs pretty good though and Avalons can last a very long time. We are probably going to trade/sell both cars and buy a different used car, hopefully on with fewer miles on it.
    edited January 2011
    Wow, there is something wrong with this website. My message continues to disappear. I'll try one more time: The 2003 Vibe, and the Corolla engine in general, sure does burn oil. I was puting in two quarts in between oil changes. It was a matter of time before the cat got clogged with the extra soot being burned. I was suprised it continued to pass inspection, but we ended up giving the car away. I am done with Toyota, and have moved on to Hyundai. I recommend you look at the Hyundai Elantra Touring to replace the Vibe. It is a far superior car to even the 2009 Vibe I own.
    As of today, and many phone calls later, I am still waiting for the Dealerships Mechanic to order and install the needed part. Has anyone else had extensive wait times for VIBE parts or is this dealer and his mechanic totally nonfunctional.

I am also wondering if this malfunction is the same problem described in TSB 050604074. Has anyone had their PCM [power-train control module] replaced?
    This is out of hand. I took my vibe back to the place I bought it for the 4th time Wed. morning. He said he bought the part himself and was taking the car to his mechanic that morning. I called in once a day for a progress report and his mechanic said he consulted with the GM dealer and was making the repair. Now it is Friday night and still no car. This is looking very bad for GM when they can't even figure out what is wrong with their own cars. The Vibe will forever be the black eye GM never recovered from. I really feel bad for anybody who bought GM stock. Their dealerships are worthless for providing service.
    Somewhere I discussed my problem with my '07 Vibe. About a year ago, it was towed to the Pontiac dealer after it would not run. The computer control module (may have a different title) that controls most engine functions had failed. The dealer replaced it that day. The down time was one day. The part in question is subject to a tentative recall. I received the letter from Pontiac. Since mine has been replaced, I may not be affected. The part was made by Delphi (must be another bankrupt GM parts supplier). The upcoming recall affects Toyota Corollas and Matrixes as well. Delphi may not be selling parts if this quality disaster is typical of their engineering and production talents. The Vibe is the latest, and probably the last, of my four GM vehicles. It is the only one that had to be towed to the dealer. The other three had more than their share of problems, however. Good luck with what otherwise is a good vehicle.
  • lubeexpertlubeexpert Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2011
    Wish I'd have seen this earlier, hope you still have your little Vibe. I own a '03 Vibe in which I change the Oil & Filter only once each year & it doesn't use or loose any oil. Suggest you do a complete Engine Flush, that will very likely solve your problem. For more details please contact me via my email:
    [email protected]
    I'll be glad to give you step-by-step instructions.
    I can almost promise this will eliminate all oil burning/loss.