Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe Engine Questions

124»

Comments

• arthur13206arthur13206 Member Posts: 9
    hardcharger43,

Thanks for the update. Do you know if a recall number has been assigned yet? If available the recall # and the production number of the defective part would be of great help to the rest of us who are searching for info on this. I do remember seeing the name Delphi some place else. I think this may be the part that is causing my problem. Other possible names I've seen for this part are PCM [Power Train Control Module] and ECM [Engine Control Module].
  • whirlygirl72whirlygirl72 Member Posts: 2
    My check engine light went on this morning. I have a 2006 Vibe, i checked the oil and it was low so i added 2 qts (its been a while since i changed oil)..
    i went to Autozone and the guy there said the computer said it was some sort of "emissions" prob. I just filled up yesterday so im thinking i didn't tighten the cap enough, so i did. How long does it take for the light to reset itself?
    No sure what else it could be.. and driving with that light on freaks me out. I have 62k miles on it.

thanks in advance for your help.
  • lubeexpertlubeexpert Member Posts: 16
    The light should go off immediately. My 2003 Vibe Check Engine light came on & it turned out that it was the O2 sensor in the exhaust. I added a bottle of AMSOIL Performance Improver (PI) & after driving about 20 miles it went out. I believe the same will work for you.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    geez, enough of the advertising already. Back to planet earth: if your CEL is because of you not tightening the gas cap, it will take several cycles of the engine (on/off) before it goes off. I does not go off immediately.
  • whirlygirl72whirlygirl72 Member Posts: 2
    thank you so much!
  • lubeexpertlubeexpert Member Posts: 16
    Not advertising. Just letting her know what I did to solve the same in my Vibe. She can at least try it before doing something far more expensive.
    And if the cause is just a lose gas cap, according to the shop who diagnosed my O2 sensor problem, the light should go out the next time it's started after tightening the cap.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    whirlygirl72,
    I would recommend taking your vehicle to your dealer of choice.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rwspitzrwspitz Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I have a 2004 Vibe with 200,000 miles and only have done brakes, tires, and oil changes. Just replaced the Timing chain and water pump as a preventiive measure, but there was nothing wrong with them at the time. Great Car!
    The above problem was eventually resolved by replacing an evap emission canister.
    After the initial CEL/ODB code reported earlier and having the Engine Control Module replaced under recall I have had about a year and a half of trouble free driving. Though I did have to replace the license plate light for inspection.

Now the CEL is giving ODB codes PO171 & PO453 as read by Pep Boys Auto Parts. Has anyone had experience with this code combination? Can this be fixed DIY or will it cost a pile of money at the dealership? :confuse: :sick:
    arthur13206,
    I understand you're looking to do this on your own if possible. All the best and be sure to keep us updated on your progress! If you have any questions about working with a dealership, we're available.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • waterloo2waterloo2 Member Posts: 2
    • If you let it set for 20 minutes it will start and run perfectly.
    • It does not put on the check engine light or any other light. Also no flashing Security light either
    • The engine cranks over just fine.
    • Does not put any codes in the computer.
    • It does not matter if it’s the first start of the day or the last, or if it was in the garage or outside.
    • It does not matter if its winter or summer.
    • When you try to start it will only start for a second then quit.
    • It has the 1.8 L engine.
    • It happened for the first time about 3 years ago and then it was about 6 months before it happened, but it’s been getting more frequent.

Please help
    Joe
    Good morning Joe,

We're sorry to hear that your Vibe is giving you some troubles upon start up. Do you have any plans to get this checked out by a dealership at all?

• waterloo2waterloo2 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah
    Local GM dealer was no help, but in there defence every time i took the car in it was working fine and there were no codes in the complter
    Hello Joe,
    Intermittent issues can be difficult to diagnose - sorry about this! If you ever wish for us to check into anything further, please don't hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your inquiry).