Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra Interior Issues

dbjr76dbjr76 Member Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in Kia
I have an '03 Spectra. The dash around the defrost vents is beginning to come up. I have taken care of it, as for cleaning and treating, but the vents cracked and the dash material around them is beginning to come up. Any suggestions for repair? I called KIA, I can A0 replace the dash for $527.00 or B) get a dashmat to cover it. My thought is, even though I am out of warranty on the car, they should do something as it is only 4 yrs old! But once the warranty is done, no one cares. I have heard some advice as to using a silicone adhesive? ANy other tips?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Some kind of adhesive would seem to be the solution, but given the location near the vents and under the glass,you'd want to make sure that it's one that can stand up to the heat and cold as well as being compatible with the materials you're trying to bond. I've never had to deal with a dash coming apart like you describe, so I'll do a bit of nosing around to see if I can find anything for you.

Perhaps a local body shop or auto detailing place might have some info you could use as well.
  • dbjr76dbjr76 Member Posts: 7
    Thank You for your offer to nose about! :)
    Been seeing stuff about dash accents being attached by peeling off a paper backing, so some kind of double sided tape might also be a possibility, but it's difficult to say without seeing the situation.

Fortunately, you can add photos to posts here, and you can also post pictures in your CarSpace. Your CarSpace is at http://www.carspace.com/dbjr76 just waiting for you to set it up. You can upload/download photos and that might help those of us out here ;)

Feel free to email me at pf_flyer@edmunds.com if you need any CarSpace assistance! It's part of what we hosts do!
    I didn't understand how to post a pic on this message center. But I did add a couple new pics to my profile that offer a rough view of the problem. :( ">
    Those pics help for sure! My mind was picturing the dash covering having separated from the backing for some reason, but now I can see that it's like the dash has buckled up like some clip holding it down gave way or something like that. Does it look like the dash has moved towards the interior of the car and slipped out fromunder what's supposed to be holding it down and hiding that raw edge?

Having a body shop or detailer take a look at it might not be a bad idea since it's possible there might be a very simple fix. We don't want to create any problems we don't have to! But now that you have pics of it up on your CarSpace, people can look at it and offer their thoughts.

let's see if I can get it to post here:

We can talk about this at the chat again tonight if you'd want to as well!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Hey! That gap at the bottom of the pic used to have a defroster grill cover. On each side (driver/passenger) these grill covers broke and I removed them. The pieces did not appear as if they would have held down the dash, but its a possibility. Perhaps the solution will be easier than I first thought. Will look up the chat if I am at home in time for it. Thx :)
    That could be it because just fromlooking at that picture, it doesn't appear that that dash itself cracked or tore. That looks like a raw, but finished edge on the dash.know what I mean? :)
    True. It definitely has not cracked. It just 'came up' once the vents broke.
    Almost has to be that the vent covers were holding that edge down!
    Since we don't have a discussion for interior issues, I'm going to rename this one to make it our general discussion for interior problems and questions.
  • lornlorn Member Posts: 2
    hey!!
    i live in Texas, and own a 1995 kia sephia.
    when i bought it, the dash had peeled back so bad, i had to take a knife and cut it off so i could see the road.
    I think this is an on-going problem with kia dashes, When they experience alot of sun exposure, expecially in the Texas heat. I say this, because i've seen other kia's with the same problem.
    That being said, this car is the most reliable car I have ever owned. - minus the window & door - lock problems
    I had a 1999 Sephia, that I traded in for this 2003 Spectra. The Sephia experienced nothign like this, and I treated it the same way, kept the dash treated and clean. It was a damn good car though! I put 102K miles on her before trading it in back in 2003. The Spectra has been excellent mechanical wise, the dash is just a surprise to me as to how it is coming up. Spoke with KIA about it today, waiting for a reply. :shades:
  • rsg3rsg3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 spectra with the same problem. My defrost vent is is still in place. I found that I can push the dash back in to place. The left side of the vent broke and I am having a hard time finding a new one. Any idea were I can find a new one????
    I purchased 2 new vents that I thought I could easily replace myself. However, the dash has to be removed as they fasten in from underneath! I still have the vents, i you are ok with it, email me at dbjr76@yahoo and I can send them to you, as I took an alternative approach to the matter. KIA wouldn't do anything for me in regards to the issue except tell me for $750 they could replace the dash.
This discussion has been closed.