Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Engine Issues

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Have a question or problem uner the hood of your Mazda5? This is the place to discuss it and work out a solution.

Comments

• partsguy1partsguy1 Member Posts: 19
    In the owners manual, it says to use 5W20 motor oil for all changes.

I am at the stage of changing my oil and I want to put in Mobil 1. It is cheaper to buy 5W30 than 5W20.

Could I use the 5W30 in place of the 5W20?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I would use what Mazda recommends until my vehicle has at lest 5000 miles on it, then ask about the Mobil 1. The lower vicosity is due to the engine being NEW. Any other oil could damage the engine.

fowler3
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Any other oil could damage the engine.

Not likely, especially if it is Mobil 1 5W30.

The lower viscosity stuff is used for emissions reductions, but is actually poorer for protecting the engine vs 5W30.

John
  • ma3xma3x Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a new 2006 Mazda5 Sport auto with 16 miles on it. I drove the car around town for about 20 miles gently, then I took in on a 85 miles one way highway trip, driving at ~80mph @3500rpm for about 45-60 minutes, then, drove it around town again. On the way back I did about 80mph for 30 min, then hit traffic for 20 min, then 20 min cruising at ~80mph again. Now the car has about 380 miles on it. My question is how much damage have I done to the engine. I know the manual states not to maintain one constant speed for a long period of time for the break-in period. What is a "long period of time" 10, 30, 50 minutes ? I searched the net and read different new engine break-in articles, including the motoman' article, but none specify how long is a "long period of time". Any input would be appreciated...tks :(
    "A long period of time" is what you were doing, but I doubt you did any damage if the engine sounds the same. Normally, you wouldn't drive a new car at 80mph at 3500rpm either for a long distance.

You should follow the break-in instructions for the first 600 miles: No fast starts, i.e. flooring it; No hard braking such as running up behind traffic already stopped at traffic lights and slamming on the brakes; if you have a manual tranny don't down-shift to reduce speed, use the brakes with moderate pressure and allow the car enough distance to stop; don't accellerate above 3500rpm for the first 600 miles; and up to 1000 miles increase rpms slowly.

In other words don't drive it like you stole it and/or it already has 5000 miles on it.

The engine is tight (green) and needs time to break-in. What you are doing the first 1000 miles is going easy on it until the rings seat properly to avoid an "oil burner" later on. Hard braking and downshifting with the tranny manually puts a lot of strain on the engine. Fast take-offs does the same thing and driving for long periods at one speed doesn't allow the engine to run-in at a wide range of rpms. It won't run smoothly when you do need higher rpms.

Hope this helps.

fowler3
    Thanks for your input fowler3. You mentioned "going easy on it for the first 1k mile to avoid an "oil burner" later on". For the sake of argument, if there has been any damage to the engine, when usually will you see it starting to burn oil ? is it after 50k, 75k miles ?
    Also is there a way to check if there has been damage to the engine, or only time will tell ? I didn't notice any difference in engine sound yet, I suppose that is a good thing ?
    I wouldn't worry about any damage to the engine. IF it breaks, warranty will take care of it.

You can find numerous articles on the net related to break-in periods. I would side with being a little harder on the engine rather than softer. IF something is going to break, it will break whether you go soft or hard.

I changed my oil at 6500 KM and went with Mobil 1. This should reduce any wear and tear on the engine, now that it is broken in.
    Thanks for your input partsguy1. Feeling a little less worried already :) . Here in FLorida, most of the driving is done on the highways, so one way or another you must keep with the traffic. Taking the side streets is a nightmare sometimes, taking you maybe 1 hour to get from A to B instead for 15-20 min highway ride. As far as the oil, the dealer provided me with the first oil+filter change for free, so I'll most likely go with them, and after that 19.95 for life of the car...that's a decent deal I would think.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You still don't need to drive 80+ to "keep up with traffic." If people are driving over 80, then don't get in the fast lane and simply let the racers pass you on the left.
    I agree with jaxs1, stay in the right lane most of the time until you get more mileage on your MZ5. I have no idea when a car starts to burn oil, it can also start to use more oil than usual, which isn't good either. Check your oil frequently, it shoudn't be low, or at least not a quart below the full mark. Always check it before running the engine, when it is cold.

The poster who said, "If it breaks the warrenty will cover it." forgets one important thing -- the *Black Box*, which comes on most new cars. The Black Box records the engines speed and other info before and following an accident and before something happens to the engine. If the manufacturer discovers the car was being driven "hard" during break-in they can refuse to repair it.

And, NO, the Black Box can not be disabled. It is so tightly intigrated with the safety equipment and on-board computer it can't be hacked.

Isn't it much easier to just do the break-in and be done with it?

fowler3
    Well thanks for your inputs guys. What can I say, what's done is done and can't be undone now :( . I like this car and I'll keep it in the right lane until the 600 miles beak-in, then drive it normal (not hard just normal). I'll see from now on how my MZ5 will perform. If it starts giving mechanical problems, I'll just might have to trade it in sooner or later. The new 2007 Honda CR-V kinda caught my attention....
    Big Brother Black box..... I guess anything is possible.

If there was an accident and the Police wanted the engine management information, do you think the manufacturers would install a disc drive to record the last 24 hours or the last 24 months. I would side the with the shorter period of 24 hours (if that). Anything longer would add cost and deliver little value given the objective of providing the Speed, traction, RPM's etc prior to the (sudden)accident.

I don't know how long the black box records info for.

Can anyone out there provide some info on the Black Box?
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

Google is your friend ;) - see black box. The article says "but due to a digital setup that is more like a tape loop that constantly runs, it is able to record the last few seconds before a crash, capturing information regarding vehicle speed, braking severity, the direction of skid, etc, helping analysts reconstruct the crash."

So it can tell why you died, but not how badly you mistreated the engine. Also your manual should have some information according to the article, but I haven't checked ours yet.

David
  • dr_whodr_who Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Mazda 5 Sport 5 speed manual (that, in general, I am very happy with) and have experienced the engine stumble mentioned elsewhere in this forum. It is on my to-do list to go get the issue addressed.

I have also experienced cold acceleration issues that may be unrelated to the engine stumble TSB. It feels to me like I am driving a carbureted car instead of a fuel-injected car for about the first five minutes after starting the car when the engine is not hot. Acceleration is rough and slow at low RPMs and then abruptly kicks in smoother and more powerful (feels like a turbo kicking in after winding up) at around ~3000 RPM. This is a problem in both winter and summer driving. Once the engine is warmed up, the acceleration problem goes away.

Has anyone else experienced these cold acceleration issues? Is there a known fix? Does having the engine stumble TSB fix (reprogramming the PCM) done on the car also fix this issue?
  • gschulzgschulz Member Posts: 17
    Might the lighter weight 5W/20 also be for better fuel economy, with the tight tolerances in the todays engine could it also be that is why they recommend lighter weight oil and still have proper lubrication? Anybody know for sure?
  • gschulzgschulz Member Posts: 17
    Might the lighter weight 5W/20 also be for better fuel economy, with the tight tolerances in the todays engine could it also be that is why they recommend lighter weight oil and still have proper lubrication? Anybody know?
  • techtylertechtyler Member Posts: 4
    Can you describe the symptoms that you experienced with the engine stumble. I have been dealing with the same issues and I have been trying to get the local Mazda dealer to fix it for the same symptom but they refuse to believe me, or find a solution to the problem. I'm so ticked!
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    All newer cars have it, but it's much simpler then thought to be. It does record in a loop of... about 6 minutes. It keeps the highest RPM, fastest speed, average fuel consumption etc. It basically provides a statistical history of the car, not a play by play life.
    The break-in goal is to allow the formation of oil film on all the parts rubbing together.
    Since on new engines, the oil film is not permanent on all parts (and their entire surfaces) it is recommended that strain would not be put on - so the parts lacking an oil film would not rub very hard and exhibit premature wear.
    BUT... at different RPM, some parts come in contact with other at different points of their surfaces. Ex: valve ends will put pressure on a different part of a cam at different speeds; pistons will travel a few microns more at higher RPM. That is why running the engine through all its regimes is very important.
    Don't be afraid to spin your engine up to the red line (it's designed to go there), just do not put load on it.
    There are cases when damage has been observed on the top ring on the piston, because during the break-in period the engine was not rev’d up and used in the same manner as it was after that. I.E. if will rev the engine to 5k only after the break in, your top ring will suddenly encounter a part of the cylinder that does not have the "mirror" formed (more or less like running on sand paper).
    "If gonna race it, race it now, just not too hard" an old mechanic said once.
  • mazdagirl1mazdagirl1 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Hey techtyler... did you ever get the problem resolved? I have the same problem with my 2006 M5. I also tried to explain to the dealership service dept. but they don't know what I am talking about. I am out of warranty now so I just deal with it, but was wondering if yours ever got fixed. I also notice that my engine sounds rough (like a pinging) when its cold but then once the engine warms up completely then its gone. Also in cold weather (just started last week) there is a creaking sound either coming from dashboard area or where the winshield meets the car at the top. Sounds like when you rub styrofoam egg carton together... its pretty loud and annoying. Figures that this started a week after I bought out my lease and out of warranty! ugh
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Hey,

I'm wondering if any of you are experiencing a loud radiator fan that always seems to be running. Granted, when the engine is cold, it doesn't run. But, once you've been driving for like 15 to 20 minutes, the radiator fan turns on and it's pretty loud! The summer months aren't here yet and the days have not gotten that warm for the fan to be running constantly AND that loud. Also, it doesn't shut off until I turn the engine off.

My 5 never exhibited this before, and I'm wondering if it's normal or if it's something I need to take it to Mazda for. Please advise. Thanks!
  • larry8061larry8061 Member Posts: 37
    One more item that will bring the check engine light on is gas (the liquid) in the carbon filter tank for the "gas tank". That tank is to trap gas vapors however, if you really top off the gas tank and over fill it the gas (liquid) will run over and into the carbon holding tank and ruin it and cause the check engine light to come on. So be careful on how full you fill the gas tank.

Larry
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2008 with very low mileage, but I don't have this problem. I would take it in to the dealer - sounds like a bad fan motor.
  • r2rnotr2rnot Member Posts: 2
    Around 7K my 5 started knocking on cold start; sounded like a stuck valve, noise seemed high in the head vs block. Gradually diminishes w warmup. Dealer checked, said no problem, they all do that. Right. I returned at about 18K, same complaint. Dealer performed "top end cleaning" that seemed to alleviate but problem has returned at 20K. Using only major brand gas; can get 32 mpg at 65. Anyone experiencing this cold knock?
  • garzat1987garzat1987 Member Posts: 3
    hi i got a 2003 mazda protege 5 and 98,000 miles and when i try and put it in drive nothing happens when i move the gears feels like it isnt catching anything the link is good checked that the car starts up fine just doesnt move if i keep moving it will go in reverse just not drive when i was driving at the stop light it made a noise the shifter moved itself from drive to n and it wouldnt move someone please help me
  • cpc42cpc42 Member Posts: 1
    i am having engine issues with my Mazda 5 (2008). Engine fail @ 40k. I am in the powertrain warranty period and they refuse to fix it. I have oil change reciepts and they say there are not enough. We took very good care of this car and I there was no warning to check engine or low oil light, although the technicians are saying there was no oil in the vehicle when I brought it to them!! Any thoughts
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,943
    There are too many questions to be answered. Did the oil leak out, burn up, or did the engine throw a rod and the oil subsequently fell out? Have you only been to the dealer with this? Did you call corporate?

If the car ran out of oil and you drove it that way, resulting in its demise ... then it is pretty much your fault. You can't rely on a car to tell you something is wrong. It is a piece of machinery and your obligation to keep a close eye on it. Checking your oil AT LEAST once a week is imperative.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• r2rnotr2rnot Member Posts: 2
    I agree w gbrozen's Part 1-- we need more info; you need to lean on dealer svc mgr, elevate to region, & corporate. But Part 2, I disagree. Nobody should have to ck oil weekly on a 40K engine, lacking any hard driving or other problem sign; maybe every 1000 miles. And since most drivers won't, a good rule is just watch your garage floor. Over time you'll recognize what's fresh oil vs old (or put down a newspaper) and if you're seeing too many new drips, THEN keep an eye on the dipstick AND have someone find the leak.

More generally: the Mazda 5 oil filter cartridge turns to a very positive stop, versus the quarter-turn range that all techs should know to tighten conventional oil filters. If the cartridge O-ring was not replaced right, there will be a major leak in a short time; also possibly the cartridge drain plug and its O-ring could be replaced wrong. But either case would definitely show oil on the floor in a hurry, or even in a parking space you've just left.
    Unfortunately Mazda engines do turn into buzz boxes fast. There is nothing wrong with them, just not refined. You'll see the RPM higher than normal when cold. This does not happen anymore with other brands (ex: Ford) which have much better engine control.
    Mazda sides on the side of simplicity.

What throws me off is the fact that the dealer said it cleaned the engine the noise was gone for a little while. It sounds like they added some additive or you are right, you do have sticky something. I would try to identify what's noisy with a piece of wood placed on the engine (the broom stick trick).
  • devarshidevarshi Member Posts: 7
    HI All--

It is my first mazda5, and I am noticing something I would like to share with you. I was checking the engine oil (cold engine), and the dipstick showed oil at minimum. I checked again, and the oil barely made the bottom of the dipstick wet. It seems to be inconsistent with the readings I would expect. It has 4000 miles on it and this car has not been to dealership since we bought it.

Just wanted to know if I need to be alarmed about it. Also, of lately, after turning off the engine, I hear a humming sound of a motor for 2-3 seconds.

Please share your thoughts.

thanks,
    Akshobya
    I would not worry about the oil (I mean freak out), but take it to dealer ASAP. The oil may have been low to begin with. You are going to have to worry after the oil change....
    Some will point out to the way the engine has been broken in, but I would not.
    With electric motor sound, I don't hear one in mine, but try to figure out where is it coming from: under the passenger seat in the second raw? Then that's your fuel pump. From the dash - ventilation doors... and that's all I have. Ask the dealer and let us know!

Victor
    Thanks, Victor, I was hoping that since the 2012 has a new engine, it may not have been documented / tested that well -- and I could be wrong here. I am not sure how people bought Mazda 2012 in US and how many of those check their engine oil regularly ... one person pointed this out (but on the UK forum, which I believe is European version of Mazda 2012). I will take it to the dealer and have it checked.

The motor sound comes from the engine block ...

thanks!
  • simont1simont1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Vicenac, what happen with the oil after you have changed it? Was it low again after few milage? What did the dealer said?

I have a new Mazda5 2012, and I have the same situation: oil is very low with about 5000 miles on it, I will go to dealer this week but would like to know what happened to you.

Thanks.
  • simont1simont1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey devarshi, what happen with the oil after you have changed it? Was it low again after few milage? What did the dealer said?

I have a new Mazda5 2012, and I have the same situation: oil is very low with about 5000 miles on it, I will go to dealer this week but would like to know what happened to you.

Thanks.
  • roger001roger001 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: My two-year old 2009 Mazda5 (Sport, MT) doesn't start this morning. After a Mazda dealer checked it, I was told the engine was flooded and the computer showed that "gas pedal depressed when starting".

I know for sure that I didn't step on the gas pedal. So I checked the internet and found a lot of discussions about the flooding problem in RX-8, e.g., at http://www.rotaryinsider.com/faq-tac40/rx8-preventing-flooding-gap44.htm.

According to it, if the car started cold and turn off before the engine warms up, the engine could be flooded. I happended to have such a start two days ago to run my air pump for a wheel barrow. I didn't use my car after that until this morning.

If this is the root cause, I must say I am very shocked. With my other cars in the past, I have had such cold start a lot of times, and never had a problem.

Did anyone experience a similar incident? Thanks a lot.
    I do a lot of those. I live close to my work (less then a mile) and sometimes the engine does not get the chance to warm up. Even more, we can not leave the car on the street, but also cannot park to early (lots of rules), so often we start the car cold around 9 PM and move it a few yards into the parking lot and turn it off before the engine lowers its RPM. Never a problem, unless you count a few times when it seemed that I let go of the key too soon and the engine needed a bit more cranking the second time. Those times it does behave like flooded but it does start.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I got a CEL on Friday night. I just got around to check it with my MATCO code reader and I got a P0126 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Stable Engine Operation. Looked it up online seems to be a bad thermostat. I had it replaced here at work (dealership) with a Motorcraft #RT-1193 thermostat and 1 jug of Mazda FL-22 coolant, cleared the code and we will see if the code comes back. If it doesn't then we are cool (pun intended). If not I will replace the coolant temp sensor, but based on popular posts it seems that the culprit for this code is a thermostat. :)
  • mazda5failuremazda5failure Member Posts: 1
    I could have written your posting; I just had exactly the same situation occur on our 2008 Mazda5 (but at 61k - 1,000 miles over the warranty). No warning lights. Nothing; just total engine failure with an explanation that the car had no oil when checking the dipstick. It was just unbelieveable to us.

Can you tell me what the outcome was in your situation? Did Mazda pick up the bill and what was the repair/cost?
    The dealer changed it, and after they changed the oil, it seems to give a proper reading. I would suggest if the oil level is bothering you, better get it changed. That way any issues, if any, will be addressed.
    Since I have a manual, another question: Did anyone notice mazda5's extra sensitive clutch? I mean, if you don't give a set throttle, it will just surge ahead. Have not driven other manual cars in US before, but do other cars have such issues? thanks.
  • bobbartbobbart Member Posts: 3
    I noticed the same thing on mine. At 4000 miles there was barely any oil on the dipstick. On my last new car it had the same problem until the engine was broke in. Also mine make that weird whine noise after the engine shuts down.
    Hello everybody,
    I have a few issues with my engine I'd like some opinions on:

My 2010 has 45 000 miles. It seems to eat more gas. In the morning, when it's cold, there is a strong gas smell around the car (very rich) and also if accelerated hard, it wants to stop before it gets going.
    After warming up, it seems to knock when accelerating lightly and I saw black smoke coming out of the tail (a few inches long jet) when accelerated hard (I was outside the car watching my wife drive away).
    To me it seems that the timing is off, but I thought these engines are adjusted by the computer so they cannot be advanced or retarded. Am I wrong?
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Our 2012 M5 has 5000 miles on the odo. Every time I turn the car off in the garage or a parking lot it smells like burnt oil. No oil is leaking on the garage floor or parking lot floor. The amount of oil showing on the dipstick never changes.

Does any one have any idea what this could be? Thanks.

Bubba
  • speedypete1speedypete1 Member Posts: 2
  • speedypete1speedypete1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new to this forum because I have never had any problems with my 2008 mazda5 .A couple of weeks ago my wife calls me from school to tell me that the car doesn't start,no contact, nothing .I go to meet up with her thinking that I will boost the car and we will be on our way home.Before installing the cables I shift the car into drive and back to park,turn the key and it starts.The same thing happens a few days ago,she plays with the stick shift and the car starts.We take it to one of my mechanic friends and he changes something on the starter and thinks that he has solved our problem.A few days later the same thing happens ,help
    My guess, sounds like a switch problem. When it fails to start - what is showing on the instrument panel - are the lights showing up as normal? What gear is the transmission in? It could be the ignition switch or a transmission switch. Actually, it sounds like a "wife" problem :-). GL
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    So your thinkin this is a wife problem? Well come over here and I'll show what a wife problem is... Then your wife, which I doubt you have, can nurse you back to health.

Bubbette
    re: wife problem - it was a joke :-) If the problem only occurs when the wife is driving ... it's a wife problem.

anyway - I don't think the car will start unless it is in neutral or park. My guess is that the stick position switch is having an intermittent fault.
  • Kdmorrow31Kdmorrow31 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 mazda 5 gran touring and had an oil change a month or 2 ago... And my oil isn't registering at all on the dipstick... Unless my car is running then it shows full..