Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Engine Issues

2»

Comments

• Thanks, Victor, I was hoping that since the 2012 has a new engine, it may not have been documented / tested that well -- and I could be wrong here. I am not sure how people bought Mazda 2012 in US and how many of those check their engine oil regularly ... one person pointed this out (but on the UK forum, which I believe is European version of Mazda 2012). I will take it to the dealer and have it checked.

The motor sound comes from the engine block ...

thanks!
  • Hey Vicenac, what happen with the oil after you have changed it? Was it low again after few milage? What did the dealer said?

I have a new Mazda5 2012, and I have the same situation: oil is very low with about 5000 miles on it, I will go to dealer this week but would like to know what happened to you.

Thanks.
  • Hey devarshi, what happen with the oil after you have changed it? Was it low again after few milage? What did the dealer said?

I have a new Mazda5 2012, and I have the same situation: oil is very low with about 5000 miles on it, I will go to dealer this week but would like to know what happened to you.

Thanks.
  • :mad: My two-year old 2009 Mazda5 (Sport, MT) doesn't start this morning. After a Mazda dealer checked it, I was told the engine was flooded and the computer showed that "gas pedal depressed when starting".

I know for sure that I didn't step on the gas pedal. So I checked the internet and found a lot of discussions about the flooding problem in RX-8, e.g., at http://www.rotaryinsider.com/faq-tac40/rx8-preventing-flooding-gap44.htm.

According to it, if the car started cold and turn off before the engine warms up, the engine could be flooded. I happended to have such a start two days ago to run my air pump for a wheel barrow. I didn't use my car after that until this morning.

If this is the root cause, I must say I am very shocked. With my other cars in the past, I have had such cold start a lot of times, and never had a problem.

Did anyone experience a similar incident? Thanks a lot.
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    I do a lot of those. I live close to my work (less then a mile) and sometimes the engine does not get the chance to warm up. Even more, we can not leave the car on the street, but also cannot park to early (lots of rules), so often we start the car cold around 9 PM and move it a few yards into the parking lot and turn it off before the engine lowers its RPM. Never a problem, unless you count a few times when it seemed that I let go of the key too soon and the engine needed a bit more cranking the second time. Those times it does behave like flooded but it does start.
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    I got a CEL on Friday night. I just got around to check it with my MATCO code reader and I got a P0126 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Stable Engine Operation. Looked it up online seems to be a bad thermostat. I had it replaced here at work (dealership) with a Motorcraft #RT-1193 thermostat and 1 jug of Mazda FL-22 coolant, cleared the code and we will see if the code comes back. If it doesn't then we are cool (pun intended). If not I will replace the coolant temp sensor, but based on popular posts it seems that the culprit for this code is a thermostat. :)
  • I could have written your posting; I just had exactly the same situation occur on our 2008 Mazda5 (but at 61k - 1,000 miles over the warranty). No warning lights. Nothing; just total engine failure with an explanation that the car had no oil when checking the dipstick. It was just unbelieveable to us.

Can you tell me what the outcome was in your situation? Did Mazda pick up the bill and what was the repair/cost?
  • The dealer changed it, and after they changed the oil, it seems to give a proper reading. I would suggest if the oil level is bothering you, better get it changed. That way any issues, if any, will be addressed.
    Since I have a manual, another question: Did anyone notice mazda5's extra sensitive clutch? I mean, if you don't give a set throttle, it will just surge ahead. Have not driven other manual cars in US before, but do other cars have such issues? thanks.
  • I noticed the same thing on mine. At 4000 miles there was barely any oil on the dipstick. On my last new car it had the same problem until the engine was broke in. Also mine make that weird whine noise after the engine shuts down.
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    Hello everybody,
    I have a few issues with my engine I'd like some opinions on:

My 2010 has 45 000 miles. It seems to eat more gas. In the morning, when it's cold, there is a strong gas smell around the car (very rich) and also if accelerated hard, it wants to stop before it gets going.
    After warming up, it seems to knock when accelerating lightly and I saw black smoke coming out of the tail (a few inches long jet) when accelerated hard (I was outside the car watching my wife drive away).
    To me it seems that the timing is off, but I thought these engines are adjusted by the computer so they cannot be advanced or retarded. Am I wrong?
  • bprendersonbprenderson Posts: 99
    Our 2012 M5 has 5000 miles on the odo. Every time I turn the car off in the garage or a parking lot it smells like burnt oil. No oil is leaking on the garage floor or parking lot floor. The amount of oil showing on the dipstick never changes.

Does any one have any idea what this could be? Thanks.

Bubba
  • Hi, I am new to this forum because I have never had any problems with my 2008 mazda5 .A couple of weeks ago my wife calls me from school to tell me that the car doesn't start,no contact, nothing .I go to meet up with her thinking that I will boost the car and we will be on our way home.Before installing the cables I shift the car into drive and back to park,turn the key and it starts.The same thing happens a few days ago,she plays with the stick shift and the car starts.We take it to one of my mechanic friends and he changes something on the starter and thinks that he has solved our problem.A few days later the same thing happens ,help
  • kw_dakw_da Posts: 73
    My guess, sounds like a switch problem. When it fails to start - what is showing on the instrument panel - are the lights showing up as normal? What gear is the transmission in? It could be the ignition switch or a transmission switch. Actually, it sounds like a "wife" problem :-). GL
  • So your thinkin this is a wife problem? Well come over here and I'll show what a wife problem is... Then your wife, which I doubt you have, can nurse you back to health.

Bubbette
  • kw_dakw_da Posts: 73
    re: wife problem - it was a joke :-) If the problem only occurs when the wife is driving ... it's a wife problem.

anyway - I don't think the car will start unless it is in neutral or park. My guess is that the stick position switch is having an intermittent fault.
2»