Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• avallesavalles Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Colorado with 14000 and have just begun to notice the rough idle with the engine. I have called the 800 number and gave them the tec doc #1915 419 but they acted like they had no clue what this # was. Am I better off giving this info to my local dealer to see if my vin # is associated with this tec doc? I really like this truck but if a future of headaches is approaching, I'd rather unload it!
  • There is a good chance you were routed to a help center someplace overseas where they barely understood ENGLISH!!
    Welcome to OUTSOURCING or as the say 'The Lowest Bidder' contractor. :cry:
  • febrilefebrile Posts: 9
    You seem to know a lot about trucks and engines. I didn't know GM uses/used the 3500 I-5 in anything but trucks.
  • If the 3.5(7) was as good as GM said it was they would have opted to use it in their 2k7 Full Size Trucks instead of the 4.3.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    The 4.3 is a bigger engine and so is the big trucks. Another thing, GM can only build so many 4.3 engines and may have figured that as long as they have to spend the millions to build or retool an excesting plant they may as well build a new engine that just may be able to pass future emissions that the 4.3 may not be able to.
  • Weak logic because the 4.3 use to be in the S10 which was a smaller truck then the Colorado/Canyon.
    The 4.3 comes from the same block as the 350 which is a plentiful as the problems GM has so that is not quite correct.
    But I guess it's always easier to TRY and make answers up when we don't know them.
    So you think that they take a 350, cut off 2 end cyl. and glue a plate on and abbra, cadabra, it's now a 4.3. Every plant can only produce so many of their product do to design of the plant, equipment, and man hours. So show me your facts that prove my 35 years in the auto industry with the last 16 years in future products is wrong. Yes the 4.3 was in the S-10 along with a few others but that still don't mean you will ever see it in the Colorado. I wouldn't want one. If I'm going to wish for a engine I would go with the 3.6 as it is a far more modern design.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine
    V6

[edit] 4300

The Vortec 4300 is a 90° V6 truck engine, replacing the Chevrolet 250 in light trucks and 200/229 90 degree V6s in passenger cars (the 200 and 229 were known as the V6-90, both were shortened versions of the Small Block Chevrolet). It is based on the 350 in³ (5.7 L) Chevrolet small-block V8. The engine first appeared in 1985 with the throttle-body injected LB4 in passenger cars (light trucks and vans had carburetors until 1987). In 1991, the limited-edition GMC Syclone featured a 280 hp and 360 ft·lbf turbocharged/intercooled LB4 with the first use of multi-port fuel injection on a Vortec V6. The central-port injected L35 (Vin 'W') debuted in 1992, with better breathing for 200 hp (150 kW). Another CPI engine, the LF6, joined the rest in 1996, while the LB4 was retired after 1998. In 2002, GM introduced a new multi-port injected LU3 engine, and a LG3 variant appeared soon after. This engines origins date back to 1955, when the original Chevy small-block V-8 was introduced.

All Vortec 4300s use a cast iron block and heads and 101.60 mm (4.000") bore and 88.39 mm (3.48") stroke (bore and stroke dimensions the same as a 350). Connecting rods still measure 5.7" although the rod journal diameter is 2.25". They are OHV engines with two valves per cylinder and are produced in Tonawanda, New York and Romulus, Michigan. Power output of the new LU3/LG3 engines is 180-200 hp (134-150 kW) and 245-260 ft·lbf (332-353 N·m).

4300 applications:

* 1985-2005 Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari
    * 1991-1993 GMC Syclone/GMC Typhoon
    * 1988-1995 Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy
    * 2001-2002 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana
    * 1988-2003 Chevrolet S-10/GMC S-15
    * 1994-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
    * 1985-1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlo and El Camino
    * 1985-1990 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice

LU3 applications:

* Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari (base models)
    * Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy
    * Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana (base models)
    * Chevrolet S-10/GMC Sonoma
    * Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra (base models)
    * GMC Envoy
    * Isuzu Hombre (optional)
    * Oldsmobile Bravada (base model)

LB4 applications:

* 1991 GMC Syclone
    * 1992–1993 GMC Typhoon
    I know the 4.3 is a 350 less 2 cyl. but is still a seperate engine and they can only build so many per year and it is also an old engine. The I5 is brand new and they must figure in the long run it is better or they didn't figure they could make enough 4.3's for the Colorado. Who knows and who cares bottom line is there isn't a 4.3 in the truck and I doubt there ever will be. If we're goiing to dream then lets dream V8. Though I'm no fan of the I5 it works in my truck and most likely 99% of the others with it so either like it or buy something else.
  • donn2390donn2390 Posts: 23
    Why would GM possibly want to return to yesterdays technology and use the 4.3? It was a great engine in it's day, but it's day is past. The I-5 is a far superior engine, with 40 more HP that the 4.3, and better mileage. It will only get better. They have now resolved the head issue.
    I have had many 4.3's, and love them, but the new engine is one sweet package. G :) et out of your rut and think modern...
  • catscatcatscat Posts: 4
    HEY, I JUST FOUND OUT THROUGH MY DEALERSHIP THAT MY 04 COLORADO HAS A LEAK IN CYLINDER 5. $3400 PLUS SHOPTIME FOR ATLEAST A WEEK! AFTER READING ALL OF YOUR HEADACHES, ATLEAST I CAN FIND SOLICE IN NUMBERS. HOW DID YOU INIATE THE PROCESS WITH GM TO HELP PICK UP THE TAB? I AM OUT OF WARRANTY @ 67K AND LOOKING FOR SOME TYPE OF HELP. I HAVE BROUGHT IT IN SEVERAL TIMES FOR "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT BOTH TIMES THE LIGHT WASN'T ON AT THE TIME. CURRENTLY, THE LIGHT IS REMAINING ON AND THEY FOUND THE ISSUE.
  • Before I'd invest that much money in it I'd work out some type of trade with a GM dealer given the mileage and the year.
    yes, it would be a good idea. Though I have leased this said vehicle and I am way over my milage allowance and I have already too much negative equity. GM's new warranty does sound nice at least I would be still in warranty! Thanks for your response.
  • Eeeek .....ya sure behind the 8 ball!
    Maybe have it stolen....lol
    You might try finding a dealer who will be willing to work with you. There are some good dealers out there but like everything else you'll have to do some 'window shopping.'
    Have you tried contacting the GM Customer Service Dept and explain to them your situation?
    JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH GM CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY ARE GOING TO PAY 25 %. IT IS SURE BETTER THAN NOTHING. 3 YEARS AGO THE 5 CYLINDER LOOKED SO COOL, HIND SIGHT IS THE BEST SIGHT!

IT WILL BE A TOUGH SELL TO MY WIFE, IF I WANT ANOTHER AMERICAN MADE VEHICLE!

GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF THE I5 CHEVY OWNERS!
    I was a GM line tech for many years. They will first give you a price. If you pay it, they win. If you complain a bit, they will drop to the next plateau. The louder the screaming gets, the more the price drops. Raise enough Hell and it will go to nothing. Just like insurance companies, they don't give their best price without a fight...
    GM knows they have a problem. Make them fix it for free. They will, if you convince them loud enough
    jUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH GM. DINKS! BECUASE I AM ASKING FOR MORE ASSISTANCE, THAT I AM OVER WARANTY MILES AND THAT I DID NOT REGULAR SERVICE MY VEHILCE WITH DEALERSHIP SERVICE THEY WANTED REVOKE THE ORIGINAL 25% ASSISTANCE! THEY CLAIM THAT I DROVE WITH THE LIGHT ON FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS THAT I AM IN NEGLECT. DAMN! THE TECH TOLD ME AFTERWARDS THAT IT WOULD NOT DO ANYMORE HARM TO THE ENGINE IF I CONTINUED TO DRIVE.

SHOULD I PURSUE THIS FUTHER UP THE FOOD CHAIN AT GM CUSTOMER SERVICE? COULD I POTENTIALLY BE HOLDING THE ENTIRE $4000? SEEMS AS IF THE DEALERSHIP IS TOWING THE COMPANY LINE AND NOT SUPPORTING ME. FUNNY HOW THOSE DEALERSHIPS WORK. tHEY QUOTED ME OVER $3400. ONCE GM CAME TO THE TABLE, MY PORTION SHOULD HAVE BEEN $2500 BUT NOW THE NEW QUOTE FOR MY END IS AROUND $1800. dO I ALSO HAVE A SHADY DEALERSHIP?

lOOKS LIKE I WILL BE DRIVING A RICE BURNER FOR 2008!
  • Shop around for the best price.
    That's what I'd do.
    Either way you are going to have to pony up some of your own money to get this millstone(Canyon/Colorado) off of your neck.
    Make the outlay as painless as possible for yourself.

Whether you buy a Rice Burner for 2k8 or another homegrown truck, it's going to be a costly learning experience for you.
    Do your research next time and look at what 'long term cost' will be for you. The homegrown trucks might be able to get you into a new truck cheaper but you need to look at resale values and how much you spend on Malox..... :)
  • gozips31gozips31 Posts: 1
    Just wanted to let you know that I have had the same problem with my Colorado I purchased in August. After numerous discussions and attempts to fix this problem since Dec. 06, I received a call yesterday. The dealer informed me that GM was going to replace my entire engine from my 06 with the new engine from the 07. They also admitted that there were numerous problems with the 06 engine that couldn't be fixed and were taken care of in the 07 engine. Don't give up and keep after the dealer. After 5 months, I finally won (I think!).
  • mike2250mike2250 Posts: 29
    I don't know but it seems for all the complaints, they cover only a few aspects of the truck. I never here the experience from drivers of other models, who spend theiir time complaining about the Chev/GMC.You have to realize that this is a mass produced item and problems will arise. A head that looked good during the design faise and failed under evey day use is something that happens. Sure they should have found it before using it, bit in realit of all those produced what percenae had the problem.
    This a truck; a $25,00 dollar vehicle. Not much when compared to some sedans on the road.
    As to performance; I have an 05 Z71 crew cab. I have the K+N fipk and a couple other minor things. I have the performance axle. It has plent of Torque and plenty of pick up. From stop and at speed it just climbs the rpm band and continues to put out. Most impressive is 70 to 105, it does it almost as fast as my vette (well not really) but it is strong and all at 17 mpg.So all and all I haven't got a lot to complain about. My 99 FRC Corvette went back more often then my truck. ;)
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Posts: 82
    Does your '06 have the manual or automatic transmission?
  • febrilefebrile Posts: 9
    Different strokes for different folks... I would not be at all happy with 17 MPG when the rating is 22 highway. I get 23 with mine since they fixed the head. When I first got it (06/05) the mileage was at 24 and better. :lemon:
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Ideally the 4.2 inline 6 should be the standard engine in the Silverado/Sierra.
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Posts: 82
    Common sense would sure dictate this but adhering to the old adage "if you want to know the real answer follow the money trail" and to me that tells me it's less expensive to manufacture the V6 4.3 vs the I6.
    I'm only guessing on this.
    Would welcome to know if this does not apply in this case.
    The I series engine is the future. It's far cheaper to produce, and much more efficient than the old iron V6. The new casting method allows them design blocks that weren't possible before. They are sorting out the problems and the engine is getting better and better.
    Read this, and you will see there is no turning back the clock. The I series is taking over...
    http://www.castsolutions.com/pdf/Engine_2004.pdf
  • ckameyckamey Posts: 2
    I'm running into the same problem - with 86,000 miles and GM is not going to pay for it, on top of which the dealer that I was using just went out of business. I have a complaint into GM Customer Service, which got me nowhere. Who did you send your letter to?
  • nogmfannogmfan Posts: 4
    My '06 I4 4x4 has 6800 miles on it. I've had it about 8 months. It's going into the shop next week for new valves and cylinder head. It seems from this and other forums that there's allot of I4's and I5's having this cylinder misfire problem. I’m hearing it has something to do with inferior valve seats and that the replacement cylinder heads have hardened seats. Can't believe GM is still having such serious quality control problems.

I asked GM for an extension on the drive train warranty and they pretty much told me to pound salt. So now I'm hoping to hear from those of you who've put some mileage on their truck after having the cylinder head and valve replacement done. Is it time to trade this thing in and cut my losses or should I stick it out?

Are there any Colorado cylinder head replacement veterans out there that can offer some long term reviews?
  • tm4tm4 Posts: 19
    I don't know if I would call it long term review, but mine was done about 6000 miles ago and it seems to be fine. I think it still idles better than when it was new. I haven't notices any strange vibrations or power loss.
    I would say keep it until the 36,000 mile warranty is close at hand. If the truck hasn't had any more problems up to that point, it will probably be okay.
  • nogmfannogmfan Posts: 4
    Thanks tm4.

A crystal ball would be good to have right about now.
  • jcr7jcr7 Posts: 2
    2006 colorado check engine lite came on for a misfire cyl#3.twice this year.both times that this has happen the lite always goes out the next day. could this be the valve springs or head problem.or something else.