Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Diesel Questions

Comments

• camper6camper6 Member Posts: 2
    I do believe you have my truck!! Same problem. Have you been able to figure it out yet?
  • bruceysmokeybruceysmokey Member Posts: 5
    with the chip it will cause problems , meaning you will always have to change the settings when you are carring different loads, if you come to a steep hill u will have to pull over and change the setting for more hp, which will cost u more fuel,
    I have a 2007 its my work truck most days its around 10,000 lbs average fuel ecomony 12 .2 mpg just starting using Lusas fuel conditioner now im at 16 .2 16. 4 mpg
    try the lucas fuel top end conditioner
    I have had my 2007 Duramax since new and yes i drive it like a truck but i dont punch it unless i have to pass someone in a hurry plus the average weight of my truck on any given day is about 10,000 lbs I have kept up the regular maintance i have had no issues untill i noticed alittle hesatation when i tryied to punch it the other day I have over 40000 miles on it and my average fuel ecomony was around 12.2 mpg i just tried the Lucuas top end conditioner and have noticed a big change in the fuel ecomony 16.2 16 .4 mpg also noticed that the engine is not as loud
    just use a regular 15 w 40 or syn 15w40 i have had my Duramax since new i now have aprox 40000 or better on it i have no issues
    I live here in ontario canada its normal for the oil to be black even right after the oil change dont worry.
    As for your front bra over your grill just put it on in the cold winter months I normally put mine on from nov to when ever its starts getting warm thats not to say u put it on and take it off all the time either
    Try using Lusas fuel conditioner better fuel ecomony
  • camper6camper6 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an 04. Very simular problem. Did you have luck?
  • magras60magras60 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I are looking to purchase a used dually with a diesel engine. We are hoping that some of the wise diesel truck owners might offer some advice. We will be towing a 30-35 foot fifth wheel trailer in the northern united states for a few months at a time. We would like and would greatly appreciate input on truck, dually, hitch, best mileage and so forth. We thank you for reading this.
  • folbfolb Member Posts: 54
    I'm a diehard Duramax guy. Nice ride qiuet engine. Put a performance enhancer on the engine. WOW! So much power it made the trans slip. Easy to install with the obd II.
  • dieselrookie3dieselrookie3 Member Posts: 7
    I dont know much on the used diesel trucks but good maintenance is a must. Our current truck is a 2008 duramax 6.6 litre diesel 2500. We tow a 25.5ft trailer(dry weight 5500 lbs.) with no problem. We use approx. 15.5litres of fuel/ 100kms(Canadian). I have talked with a lot of my diesel friends and all have been very happy with their duramax diesel powered trucks. I suggest purchasing the newest as possible(budget allowing of course) GMC or Chevy Duramax diesel with the Alison transmission. Other friends have been happy with their Dodge cummins diesel motor with the allison transmission. Both are very highly rated. I dont support chips or alterations to the truck unless it has been proven to be a asset(mainly because I dont need it with my new 6.6 litre). The new 6.6 doesnt even require a lubricant to the fuel as it has high pressure fuel injectors, apparently. I suggest taking a GMC shop foreman out for lunch and quiz him on the pros and cons of different year trucks. I hope I have assisted you in some way.
  • evansdadevansdad Member Posts: 7
    I have just gotten a 2004 gmc 2500hd duramax. When I take off I hear a thumpin noise like thump..... thump......thump........ but at higher speeds I cant hear it what could it be and also when I turn left I can hear a squeaking noise only to the left please help
    I forgot to say the thumping noise seems to be in the front right tire and also the squeaking noise in the right front tire as well
    Check the front hubs. Had mine replaced. 2005 Duramax. Mine felt like it would drift and had a thumping sound.
  • toomanymiles3toomanymiles3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Duramax 3/4 ton 4/WD just turned over 179,000 miles . My water pump is leaking and I started to change it out but there is one Bolt behind the Harm. Balancer. Of course the water pump is driven off the timing gear and to the right below the power steering pump but one bolt is behind the Harm. Balancer. Does anyone know if the center bolt holding the Harm. Bal. on is right or left hand thread.
    I installed a Bullydog on the fly programmer at about 65,000 miles and instantly saw a increase from 19 MPG to 22MPG in town. With no head wind I now can drive at 72 or 73 to get my best mileage. I now can get 24 to 26 MPG on cruise on long trips. I have got the front fan off and will work on the Harm Bal. Tomorrow.
    Hope someone knows about the center bolt and what tool to take it off. I have more time than money.
    Thanks
    Hey thanks alot that was the problem i sure do appreciat the help The new hub assembly was 379.00$ and the labor was 72.00$ Good deal im back up and running and i cant beleive the power this thing has why would anyone need a chip i dont understand
  • beast5beast5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have read some postings about some problems with duramax going into Limp mode. The truck I have is a 2001 2500 4X4 runs great until I put a load on it. It may go 30 miles and it may not go but 10 before it acts up. I can pull off and it will reset in about 5 min. The dealer I use has changed injectors ,fuel pressure sensor , fuel rail, fuel pressure relief value and something they called a dump value. I just got it back today and it is NOT fixed. The dealer said they started a case on it and they are at a dead end. Anybody got any ideas.
    Give me more info. Have you put a power enhancer on, chip, etc? Does it give you a check engine light? Is it mainly when you're going say over 50 and you try to accelerate quickly from there and it downshifts and then the engine light comes on? Did they replace the fuel pressure valve on the back of the fuel rail on the driver side? I got a shim kit for that and then just ordered a new valve from PPE out of California. I got their programmer and it gives my engine so much torque on level 4 out of ten that it causes the tranny to go into limp mode. You may have a pressure problem. Bully Dog sells a pressure kit for a 100 or so for the tranny. I need to get that too. You don't have to drop the trans. Let me know how it goes. Any DTC's??? Jeff
    I need to know what is good oil pressure when you come to a stop mine runs around 60 to 70 while driving but when i stop it goes to 30 or below just had the oil changed im kinda worried thanks its a 2004 duramax
  • jegriswoldjegriswold Member Posts: 1
    This is my 2nd Duramax. Never experenced problem until now.

Start of problem:
    - picked up water during long distance trip.
    Water in fuel indicator came on many miles down road. Engine quit. Was able to bleed filter to continue. Added heat for three tanks. Changed fuel filter three times.
    Light finally went out.
    -Started experience problems since then.
    If I try and start engine before glow plug light goes out, engine will not start and will not start for sometimes hours. Now after driving on longer drives, engine will not restart if engine is shut off. Will also die sometimes going up hills and will not restart until setting for awhile. Engine guages show no overheating. Runs great on the road. Idles very rough. Notice that fuel hand pump has no pressure. Repumping does not help restart. Starting fluid (eather) will not work. Only setting for sometimes hours works.
    -Does not use excess fuel. Does not use oil or smoke. Oil pressure shows low oil pressure but is not low on oil. Use to show about 60% guage but now almost red.
    Anyone have suggestions without replacing everything on engine?

Stranded
    I seem to remember reading of a similar problem in the blog history. I suggest reading back in history to find it. Something about a sensor in the fuel tank behind the back seat? I might be wrong. Also, ask the dealers head mechanic about the history of the problem with your year of truck. If you take him to lunch perhaps he will give you the straight goods.
  • kjakin07kjakin07 Member Posts: 2
    Could you direct me to the information on the extension of warranty for the LBY engine as the Injector pump on my 04 Duramax 2500 just quit and the dealer that has it said it is going to cost $2300 and if it is covered by warranty (GM extension) I would love to know as the truck only has 29K miles on it. He did say that nothing was wrong with the injectors which he said would of cost a lot more. So if you have anything or point me in the direction of the info on that extension I would sincerely appreciate it.
  • rgavinrgavin Member Posts: 1
    particulate filter is a particle filter installed after the cat.
    This was started in your year mod and is the reason I am looking for a pre 2006.
    When the sensor tells the computer the filter is cloged,the fuel is enriched to load up the cat to the point of excess heat(1500 deg. or more) to burn off the carbon in the filter.Seems like a waste and a hot seat.
  • israel82israel82 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same 04 duramax and i just changed my oil and the oil pressure gauge is doing the same thing that yours is doing i was wondering if you could let me know if you have figured this out it would be much appreciated thanks
  • rjpeltorjpelto Member Posts: 1
    i have a 07 duramax with 22000 mile s on it. having a problem with water in the fuel. i dropped the tank and cleaned it out and flushed the fuel line with new fuel and fuel filter. now i am get a check engine light that reads low ful rail pressure and dont know why can anyone help me out
  • deflizarddeflizard Member Posts: 2
    Started my 2008 6.6 Duramax via remote start. Pickup started then died. Now the pickup will not start at all. Turn key on and everything in pickup comes on, checked batteries, OK. You can hear the fuel pump come on but no fire. The starter won't even crank. Anybody have any ideas?
  • deflizarddeflizard Member Posts: 2
  • tr11tr11 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

My 2500 has the reduced engine power light on almost anytime I drive in heavy rain or any kind of snow. I was told from the dealer that the snow is a known issue with no fix and that the service bulletin recommends driving with the front guard on because moisture is being drawn in by the air filter. They also said said no fix was forthcoming, sorry, air filter just was a bad design. The rain thing is really becoming a serious issue because I can't put the bra on in 55 degree weather. Keep in mind that once the alarm comes on I can't go faster than 35 MPH until the truck dries for a few hours. Has anyone heard of this before? BTW, I can go to the car wash and if the engine is running it will kick of the alarm and shut me down. Cool party trick ;) Thanks for any info. TR
  • jaaksweepjaaksweep Member Posts: 1
    I possibly have the same noise on my 2006 GMC Duramax. The noise happens right around 1200 RPM's and then quits after 1300 RPM's. Any fixes.
  • littleman4littleman4 Member Posts: 3
    Water in fuel message came on. Drained fuel filter and had changed. Water in fuel message came on again. Had fuel filter checked and no water in fuel. Changed sensor. Water in fuel message has come on again. Is there a way to reset the sensor? Has this happened to anybody else?
  • shrimp1004shrimp1004 Member Posts: 6
    YOU SHOULD BE COVERED TO 100000 MILES ON RHE F/I SYSTEM.DO NOT LET THE DEALER BS YOU.
    MY 06 DURAMAX L;OW OIL PRESSURE.CHANGE EVERY 5000 MILES WITH 5W40 SYNTHETIC SHELL ROTELLA.GUAGE USUALLY PUMPS 70LBS COLD NOW PUMPS 55LBS COLD.WHEN HOT AT IDLE PRESSURE DROPS TO 5LBS.THE DEALER TELLS ME I AM USING TO THIN OF A GRADE OIL.I HAD A 03 DURAMAX PUT 285000 MILES ON THAT WITH THE SAME OIL.HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THE SENDING UNIT GOING BAD.I WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK TO ANY GM DEALERSHIP.MOST OF THEM HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.NEED HELP
    Could you please elaborate on what the RHE F/1 System coverage is? Thanks!!!
    I dont have an answer for you but I own the same truck and am curious as to what the problem was or is? Have you figured it out?
    Thanks for the reply but my problem is a 2004 Duramax that has a fuel filter sensor that continues to flash a water in the fuel message even though the filter has been checked (no water) and the sensor has been changed. Seems like a "well we don't have a clue what the problem is but we will install a $256.00 sensor anyway".

Dave
  • lspillmanlspillman Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 Duramax and have run Delo 400 15/40 since new. Had to have the oil changed in Little Rock, AR and all they had was Rotella 15/40. With reluntance I changed to Rotella. I drove into Oklahoma and purchased diesel at the first place I found and decided to check the oil. There was NO oil on the dip stick! Checked it 3 more times and still no oil. I purchased a gallon of Rotella in the Travel Store but decided to check it again before adding. This time it was FULL! I was shocked at this but drove west. In western Oklahoma I filled up again and found there was NO oil on the dip stick. A few minutes later it was FULL. Same thing happened in Cheyene, WY.

The next day while decending a large hill outside of Butte, MT I looked back and could not see the trailer I was pulling for the smoke. Shut her down and checked the oil and found it FULL. I called Appleway Chevrolet in Spokane, WA and was told that I needed to change the FUEL filter. I called 3 very knowlegable diesel mechanics and each one told me that they have seen massive diesel engine failures when the owner added Rotella to existing Delo 400. All 3 highly recommended dropping the Rotella, flushing the engine and going back to Delo 400. I fired her up and blanketed the freeway with smoke but decided that if the engine was blown so be it and trucked on. About 1000 feet later the smoke cleared up and have not had that incident anymore.

It has been about 2500 miles with the Rotella in and now now I am experiencing the same thing you are. Cold I have 70-75 psi and hot 15 psi at 70 MPH and 0 ZERO at idle.

I would find it hard to believe that the sending unit is the problem in your or my case.
  • lspillmanlspillman Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 Duramax and have run Delo 400 15/40 since new. Had to have the oil changed in Little Rock, AR and all they had was Rotella 15/40. With reluntance I changed to Rotella. I drove into Oklahoma and purchased diesel at the first place I found and decided to check the oil. There was NO oil on the dip stick! Checked it 3 more times and still no oil. I purchased a gallon of Rotella in the Travel Store but decided to check it again before adding. This time it was FULL! I was shocked at this but drove west. In western Oklahoma I filled up again and found there was NO oil on the dip stick. A few minutes later it was FULL. Same thing happened in Cheyene, WY.

The next day while decending a large hill outside of Butte, MT I looked back and could not see the trailer I was pulling for the smoke. Shut her down and checked the oil and found it FULL. I called Appleway Chevrolet in Spokane, WA and was told that I needed to change the FUEL filter. I called 3 very knowlegable diesel mechanics and each one told me that they have seen massive diesel engine failures when the owner added Rotella to existing Delo 400. All 3 highly recommended dropping the Rotella, flushing the engine and going back to Delo 400. I fired her up and blanketed the freeway with smoke but decided that if the engine was blown so be it and trucked on. About 1000 feet later the smoke cleared up and have not had that incident anymore.

It has been about 2500 miles with the Rotella in and now now I am experiencing the same thing you are. Cold I have 70-75 psi and hot 15 psi at 70 MPH and 0 ZERO at idle.

I would find it hard to believe that the sending unit is the problem in your or my case.
  • ranger092ranger092 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 6.6 with 128,000 miles...I'm still getting good fuel milage- I am starting to get a little white/gray smoke at start up...some times at the traffic light...not daily...but more and more frequently...I took the truck in-ck engine light, they replaced my EGR...now say it might be turbo...what gives?
    I HAD 03 ALSO.STARTED SMOKING WHITE SMOKE.NEEDED INJECTORS AT 136000 MILES.FACTORY EXT WARRANTY TO 200000 MILES.YOU MUST CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER EVERY 15000 MILES....PLASTIC TANK WITH STEEL LINES LEADING UP TO THE INJECTOR PUMP SO THE LINES GET RUST BUILD UP INSIDE.CHECK YOUR LOCAL DEALER AND DONT LET THEM B.S. YOU
    PRESSURE SENDING UNIT MY 06 WITH 57000 JUST WENT ON THE BLINK.HAVE A TECH PUT A MANUAL OP GUAGE WHERE THE SENDIND UNIT IS.I BET YOU NEED A NEW ONE
  • dmax06dmax06 Member Posts: 4
    Several months ago there was talk about a 4.5L Duramax for use in the Silverado/Sierra 1500 series trucks. It was supposed to come out in the 2010 model year. Has anyone heard anything since? Or did GM's financial problems nix this one?
  • odinhodinh Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, i'm new here. I hope someone can help with this. I've got a 2005 6.6, 2 weeks ago i went to crank the truck up and the batteries had died down enough it would barely turn over. i checked the batteries to see if they were still good the meter said yes, alternator was good. put a charge and got it running. I took it to advance, they did the same checks but also made me turn everything off and pull the key out, the batteries were being pulled down by 15 amps, nothing on. i took it home, pulled all of the relays and fuses, i couldn't check the amp draw because mine only does AC. i did check the resistance (ohms) accross the positive and negative, on e 1 battery there was none (supposed to be) and the other there was a reading. WHATS GOING ON? ANYBODY every had this happen or heard of anything like this? Next place is the dealership and i don't know if they'll cover it or not under the 100k warranty.
    The battery warrantee for the batts is only a year I believe. Have you changed them yet? I don't know the other problem. Have the 05 too.
    I'll tell you, there's nothing bad i can say about the Duramax's, (ith exception to my little issue) Fairly troublefree if maintained correctly. Don't go by the standard 3000 to 3600 mile oil and 5000 filter changes, go by the trucks computer, those changes that often are not necessary and begin to become expensive. Also, since the truck has sooo much torque, make sure to rotate the tires forward then sideways. I pull a 28' camper and 24' boat with mine and you can't feel either of them (until you want too). I'd say good choice. I will buy one again.
    not yet, was wanting someone to help with some ideas before i did anything else.
    sorry, dang that sounds crappy. hope you keep us informed if they do find out something.
  • qdaddyqdaddy Member Posts: 2
    I can tell you about how I lost two engines after switching to Delo from Rotella with about 180,000 miles on them. I've had nothing but injector problems with both of my 2005 C5500 trucks. One day I decided to try Delo on the next oil change. The engines lasted about a week before they started knocking. May just be some sort of freak thing but the last truck a 2006 C5500 that I never switched over to Delo is still going strong with 300,000 miles on it. I found it funny they both failed a day apart with the same symptoms of rod knock. I maintenanced these truck weekly with only the best parts over the cheap parts to no avail. The last truck still running the 2006 C5500 has a problem now with leak down of injector pressure over night. The driver just informed me that it would not shut off when the key is turned off. Also would not re-start on several occasions. That is why I'm reading here to maybe find a common problem before I start chasing a ghost. These trucks have a common vibration problem at about 69mph. It's so bad that it causes the float on the fuel sending units to wear and fall off the arm. The stealer told me to always turn off the key and only fill the front tank first. What a crock of bull just to cover their butt from a class action lawsuit. I wish a lawyer would get some of my money back for these sorry want to be called trucks that GM is selling. They also told me to always add some kind of additive to the fuel to prevent future injector failure. More bull, I wish they would have told me that before I laid down $60,000 for each piece of junk truck I purchased. I would have never had to go through hell with all the repairs these trucks needed before they sent me into bankruptcy. GM is not going to offer these trucks anymore in the near future due to liability for a failed piece of junk that they sell and hide behind their own bankruptcy. :lemon:
  • billy56billy56 Member Posts: 1
    I had an injector go bad that filled my engine with diesel fuel. Check your dip stick closely.
  • qdaddyqdaddy Member Posts: 2
    I do know that the 04 injectors were known for leaking and taking out the crank due to washed out oil. They corrected the oil thinning problem because it was costing them alot of money with warranty repairs by relocating the injectors to the outside of the valve covers. But they still did not correct the injector failure problem until 06 by lowering the injector voltage. I dont care how much lube you add to your fuel it will not prevent failure of the injectors. It's funny how some articles tell you not to use additives and others say you need to. WOULD YOU HAVE BOUGHT YOUR TRUCK OR CAR IF THE DEALER TOLD YOU THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO BUY EXTRA LUBES OTHER THAN ENGINE OIL AND BASIC MAINTENCE JUST TO KEEP IT RUNNING ? I bet you would have shopped other dealers to see what they had to offer.
  • oldmarine1oldmarine1 Member Posts: 1
    Will taking off catalytic converter harm the engine or help?. I have a 2004 duromax 6.6 diesel engine.
  • oldfireguyoldfireguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm new but here goes: 2003 duramax towing 9500cvw sunnybrook 5th wheel trlr
    with 12000 miles towing we left Missoula Montana downhill 125 plus miles to Lewiston Idaho. I used the tranny retard system the whole way with very little throttle. stopped for fuel 50 miles above Lewiston. started up after fueling andapplied throtle to continue down when the banshee scream started. i pulled over and had the wife listen as i rolled forward and back. noise only occurred under medium throttle. I eased the throttle and picked up to 50mph with no noise. long story short.
    TOOK TRUCK TO CHEV DEALER IN LEWISTON VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE YOUNG MECH, i DID NOT LET THE ENGINE RUN AND COOL DOWN WHEN STOPPING FOR FUEL.ESPECIALLY WHEN TOWING CLOSE TO THE CGVWR.

IMPROPER TORQUE ALLOWED TURBO TO WARP. REQUIRING TOTAL REPLACEMENT UNDER WARRANTY. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT WHEN THE NOISE OCCURRED IT WAS THE BUSHINGS IN THE TURBO. ALSO THAT THE TURBO IS OILED VIA #4 CRANK JOURNALS. THE BUSHING GRINDINGS CAN CAUSE THE #4 JOURNAL TO SCORE AND DESTROY THE ENGINE. FORTUNATELY I SHUT DOWN EARLY AND PREVENTED ADDITIONAL DAMAGE. NOW HAVE 80000 PLUS WITH NO PROBLEMS. I HOPE THIS HELPS JM