Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris: Features/Changes I'd Like to See

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
post 1

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Tagged:

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    What was Toyota thinking? Hopefully they'll come to their senses and make that available for the '08 model. A tach would be nice too.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sorry, there are some features I find essential on cars in this class. One is side bags and curtains. The Accent has them standard. They are optional on the Yaris--when you can find them. My biggest turn-off on the Yaris is that I've had two dealers tell me that cars with side bags/curtains and ABS are almost non-existant--they just aren't getting any in.

Another feature I think is important is a 60/40 split folding seat. I've used that feature many times over the years. It's extra on the Yaris hatch. So are other features I find useful such as a rear window defroster (actually that one is really important to me), rear wiper, tachometer (is that even available on the Yaris hatch with a stick??), driver's seat height adjuster (not available on the Yaris hatch), and variable intermittant wipers (just used that feature today).

A 2007 Yaris hatch with A/C, 4-speaker CD stereo, side airbags, 60/40 rear seat, rear defroster, and rear wiper is $13,610 MSRP (also TMV). An Accent GS with the same equipment (except a 6-speaker stereo) is $12,345 MSRP and $12,039 TMV ($11,769 invoice). I think $1600 less plus getting the height adjuster, tach, variable wipers, and even a rear spoiler ($435 extra on the Yaris) is a pretty good deal. Oh, plus the 10-year warranty of course. But I wouldn't get an Accent GS anyway. I'd go for the SE with ABS, power package, sport suspension, and 16" alloys standard. :)

I did notice you are now comparing the TMVs of the cars vs. MSRP for the Yaris and invoice for the other car, to determine comparative value. That's a good idea, otherwise the Yaris is at an even bigger disadvantage.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Two features I find very important these days also are factory cruise control and an aux audio input. The most important things to me in this class is a slick manual shifter and 4 doors. The Accent sedan had neither feature and a lousy manual shifter. Thus the Yaris or Fit are still on my list.

I too can't understand how hard it is to find a manual transmission Yaris sedan with the Airbag and power package. There are still zero in the Southeast Region.
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    In fairness, the Yaris doesn't have factory cruise either.

The aux input works well though, and the transmission feels a little "slicker" to me too :) .

If you can find one at a decent price, the Fit may be a good option for what you're looking for.

That's a big "If" though lol...

T
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    my grandparents had cruise in there cars so I guess it goes suit a certain sector of society. I myself do not care for it.
    Yes, people who drive on highways and want to stay at a constant speed without effort.
    I prefer to have cruise on my cars too, but it's not a deal-breaker because I need it only about 3-4 times a year. Same with the aux input--I'd like to have one, but there are inexpensive aftermarket options to allow me to connect an iPod, for example, to any stereo.

I'd love a slick manual shifter, ala Accord or Mazda3, but IMO none of the current low-end cars has one. The Fit's is too notchy, the Versa's is too clunky, and the Yaris' is too rare--I haven't even been able to find one to test drive. But based on reviews such as C/D's, it appears the Yaris' stick is OK but not great. Same for the Accent's. At least Hyundai offers a short-throw shifter kit through dealers, so it would be covered under the new car warranty.
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    I'd say the Versa's is pretty close to the Yaris in terms of feel. If you thought the Versa's was clunky I can almost guarantee you wouldn't like the Yaris's anyway.

I'm thinking about the quick shift kit (which Toyota offers too btw), but want someone else to try it on their baby first :P

T
    I disagree about the shifter. The Fit is excellent, and the Yaris is good. The Versa is average. All of the reviews I have seen have also complained about the Hyundai/Kia shifter being below average; none complained about the auto.

Here is the Car and Driver quote, "like the Suzuki, the Hyundai was hobbled by a sloppy shifter." Not comparable to the Yaris, Fit, or even to the Versa by their standards or mine.
    I was very surprised by the Fit's shifter. From reading reports like the C/D comparo, I expected it to be the usual excellent Honda stick shift. I was disappointed that it was very notchy, such that it was not fun to use. I actually preferred the automatic Fit. The Versa's shifter emitted a loud "clunk" on each shift, which was intolerable to me. It could have been a defect, but I have no way of knowing. I would like to try the Yaris' stick but haven't been able to find one to test.

The funny thing was, I expected the Accent's shifter to be terrible based on the reviews like C/D's. But I didn't think it was bad at all. It wasn't crisp like the Fit's, but it wasn't notchy or loud either, and the clutch was light and a pleasure to use. The main problem with it is it's a tall shifter. Hence the short-throw kit would be a check-off for me.

What did you think of the Accent's stick when you drove it?
    Maybe it is just preference. I thought the Fit was fun: short throws and slightly notchy. The Yaris was a little vanilla, but smooth and easy. The Accent felt kind of loose and long throws.

I use my cruise multiple times a day and I like factory versions so maybe a Hyundai in the future, but not this go round.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    1. Improved suspension system. The current suspension too much emphasizes ride quality over handling, which results in wallowy high speed handling. :surprise:

2. Better transmissions. Toyota should either put in a five-speed or the CVT from the JDM Toyota Vitz for its automatic transmission.

3. Redesigned instrument panel. The current instrument panel is too small and difficult to read--it needs to be bigger so you can read the gauges quickly.
  • robertknrobertkn Member Posts: 94
    "1. Improved suspension system. The current suspension too much emphasizes ride quality over handling, which results in wallowy high speed handling."
    They do offer an upgraded suspension package as an option on the "Build Your Toyota" website. Of course, since it's an "option," if you wanted to have it you would probably have to actually "build your Toyota" yourself. By the time you received it from the factory the rest of us would be speeding around in magnetic powered speedsters like the Jetsons.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Toyota fell behind this year, introducing 2 totally redesigned models (Yaris and RAV4) that still use the outdated 4-speed auto. I agree this is unacceptable, and a good reason not to buy either. It is an even grosser omission in the RAV, since that model uses the Camry powertrain which already has a 5-speed auto. The result? The 4-cyl 4WD makes LESS highway mpgs than the darn V-6 with 100 more hp!!

"3. Redesigned instrument panel. The current instrument panel is too small and difficult to read--it needs to be bigger so you can read the gauges quickly."

Gauges? What gauges? Yaris hardly has any, except a speedo. On the Optitron dash, the speedo is huge - I have no complaint with visibility of that thing, it takes up half the dash.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Does the base Yaris sedan have the Optitron gauges? I had trouble reading the speedo on the two Yaris sedans I drove. The numbers seemed pretty small, especially given the distance from the driver. Reading the speed at a glance was quite difficult for me. This was in daylight.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    I would like to see an S model on the liftback. There is an S model sedan. Also, they need to made the tach standard, at least on the manual 5 speed transmission.
    I own a 5 speed liftback, and love the car!
  • robertknrobertkn Member Posts: 94
    "Does the base Yaris sedan have the Optitron gauges? I had trouble reading the speedo on the two Yaris sedans I drove. The numbers seemed pretty small, especially given the distance from the driver. Reading the speed at a glance was quite difficult for me. This was in daylight."

Do you own a Yaris? Are you seriously considering purchasing one? I have driven both the sedan and hatchback and had no problem reading either speedometer. It looks great and is easy to read on both--day and night. Incidentally, this is the "hatchback" forum in case you overlooked that.
    Do I need to own a Yaris to post in this discussion? I wasn't aware of that. I was seriously considering the Yaris for my next new car, until I took those two test drives. Those helped rule out the Yaris for me. Shows how important test drives are. One person may have no trouble at all reading the gauges, but they could be a problem for someone else.
    factory sunroof as an option, tach standard in all models (and while you're at it, how about a coolant temp gauge too?! ;-)), and factory cruise available.

Oh yeah, and keyless entry included if you ante up for the power package.

Oh yeah, and some kind of sport package that includes larger rims and a rear sway bar. Hey, the sport package could come with the Corolla's engine too........but I guess now I'm getting carried away.

:-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jollyreaperjollyreaper Member Posts: 9
    Ditto on wanting to see cruise control. I'd love a tach as well. Unfortunately, it seems like you don't get one in most cars if they're automatic.
    How funny, I might have been getting carried away, yet this
    "some kind of sport package that includes larger rims and a rear sway bar. Hey, the sport package could come with the Corolla's engine too"
    is exactly what the next xA, called the xD, will be! :-)

• foggybottom222foggybottom222 Member Posts: 16
    I have been looking at a Yaris Hatchback for my mom. Does anyone know if the power package is really available on the hatchback? Dealers are saying no but Toyota literature clearly says yes. Is it rare or non-existant? Thanks.
  • typer73typer73 Member Posts: 11
    I own a Liftback with the power package, so it is available. Bought mine last September & had to order it at that time, should be available on the lots by now.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    I would like to see a tach., and cruise control.
    On my wish list would be a hatchback that got even better mileage, maybe a smaller engine, or a 6th gear?
    My current 90 day avg is 46 mpg, very little highway.
    Love my Yaris :)
  • ai9wai9w Member Posts: 2
    It's true, my dream of a 5 door hatchback with cruise control become a reality in the 2009 model
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Since the five door hatchback is arguably the most versatile and practical version of the Yaris, I'm glad to see it's finally available in the US.

BUT. . .

Why oh why did they have to make it automatic-only?
    Wow no manual transmission. That is dumb. I would have liked to see the wheelbase extended to give the rear hatch useable space when the backseat is in use like the Honda Fit.

Cargo Space with backseat up
    Honda Fit 20.6 cubic feet
    Yaris 5door 9.32 cubic feet
  • planetiowaplanetiowa Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to see a better name for this vehicle. "Yaris" is a terrible name. I'd like to see factory cruise control. Cup holders which don't block the vents would be nice. Most of all, I'd like to see more leg room. At 6'3" and 315, this isn't my ideal car. I needed a longer time to become acquainted with the car. That's why I would've preferred to buy from Enterprise. They offer seven days to be sure. The dealership really needs to have a line on the wall: "You must be this height or less to buy a Yaris." I'd like to see the metallic gray color discontinued. My vehicle has that non-color.
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Well, factory cruise is available on the sedan at least, but yeah, it would be nice if it wasn't so difficult to get on the hatch.

I'm with you on the cupholders though. They do get to be a slight nuisance - at least until the cabin cools down a bit.

I'm 6'2" and the Yaris fits me fine, but you've got a few pounds on me. I actually feel like there's more room in the Yaris than the Corolla in the driver's seat (feel the same about my Echo over the Corolla). I guess, given it's over all size, I'm surprised it's as roomy as it is.

You might try checking out Carmax, as I think they have a 30 day buy-back policy (with some mileage and condition restrictions of course).
  • yoperyoper Member Posts: 4
    Here is a comment from the Edmunds Editors Review and then consumer comments from their reviews:

Edmunds.com Editors Review: "Although the Fit and xD are our top choices in the segment, they are available only as four-door hatchbacks, a body style Americans generally consider the absolute embodiment of undesirable transportation."

Comments from consumers:
    "Make more 4 door ones...they are hard to find." (2dr Hatchback)

"A five door hatchback would be nice as an option."

"4 door option." (S 2dr Hatchback)

"...lacks interior versatility of 5-door hatchbacks." (4dr Sedan)

"I would love it if there was a 5door hatch in the US too." (2dr Hatchback)

"Also offer a 4 door hatchback, like in Canada. It makes no sense that it is available there but not in the States." (2dr Hatchback)

I own a 2001 4-dr Echo sedan with 160,000 miles on it. Great car!

I would buy the Yaris in a heartbeat to replace our Chrysler Town & Country if it was available in a 5-dr hatchback.

I live in Michigan right across the border from Sarnia, Ontario and see 5-dr versions all the time, but I can't get one on the US side.

It would be one thing if they didn't even produce this version at all, but when they do and just don't bring it into the US- terrible decision!

Craig
    I would buy the Yaris in a heartbeat to replace our Chrysler Town & Country if it was available in a 5-dr hatchback.

Your wish is Toyota's command!

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/toyota/yaris/101082171/prices.html

Thanks for helping to prop up the economy a little by buying a new Yaris! :)
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:

Craig
    Wait I'm confused. How is the Yaris not exactly the same as a Fit or xD? They have four passenger doors and a rear-opening hatch. Or does the "fifth" door mean the glass part on the hatch opens independently of the hatch itself?

Are people really fooled by that? If the Fit had a separately opening rear window would that suddenly make it a completely different looking car? The reason I don't like the Fit is b/c it's ugly imo. The Yaris is a far better looking car than the Fit, Versa or even xD (though the xD is very different than the other three and is cool in its own right).
    My whole reason for this thread is the fact that the Yaris didn't come in a four-door version of the hatchback. It only came in a two-door version of the hatchback.

The terminology of "five-door" comes from adding the four standard doors with the hatchback to get five, just as you could add the two standard doors with the hatchback to get a "three-door" hatchback.

Sorry for the confusion.

The original quote is a reference to the Editor's review on the 2008 Yaris and the fact that its competitors had four doors while it didn't.

The 2009 Yaris now has a four door version in the US.

Craig
    I gotcha. I was confused b/c we'd been talking about the new 5 door since back in September in the Regular Yaris Thread so I didn't understand what the new thread meant. :)
    Well, I wouldn't know about that since I am new to this message board.

Thanks for updating me.

Craig
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    What do you think of the "new" Yaris for 2012?

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/yaris/2012/