Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• ddechantddechant Member Posts: 5
    Agreed. All around. I had no problems until this. Does anyone have any update on the backorder? My new ship date is now 9/10/13. The dealership wrote up my service ticket on 7/25 and I haven't had my Jeep since. Sounds to me like Chrysler won't do anything about this since they don't make the part but what are they going to do for their customers who paid good money for their cars?!?!
  • ddechantddechant Member Posts: 5
    They don't care but it's pretty clear it's out of Jeep's hands right now. The part is on backorder and not made Chrysler. Without a warranty Jeep will not do anything. I am calling Corporate to start hollering at someone who will listen b/c the service dept can't help anyway.
  • cmeeducmeedu Member Posts: 5
    The ship dates they are telling us mean nothing. My jeep has been at the shop since July 12th and they have given me 4 different ship dates. Everytime it gets close to the ship date, they revise it. My ship date was also Sept 10 but now they are saying its September 19. I'm sure in another week or so they will give me a totally new date!
  • hemiglock21hemiglock21 Member Posts: 19
    There are enough of us on just this thread to get a class action lawsuit started. I'm sure there are hundreds of others that have this problem that are not on Edmunds. Let's sue Chrysler and force them to fix our vehicles or replace them with new ones. This is absurd! It's their fault that they chose to use a defective part made by a substandard company and we are the ones that are having to pay for it, either directly (those without warranties), or by not having transportation or by putting ourselves at risk of getting stranded every time we go anywhere.

Does anyone know how to get the ball rolling on a lawsuit?<
  • upsetjeepladyupsetjeeplady Member Posts: 3
    I am having the SAME problems with my Jeep, and am at a stand still. One person tells me I HAVE to take it to a dealership (30 miles away), and another says to try a couple of different things. I need to get the thing fixed so I'm not having to borrow a friend's car!

My car was having trouble starting for a couple of weeks, and finally wouldn't start at all. It seemed as if it wasn't getting fuel, so I took it in and had the air filter changed (which was dirty), and the fuel injectors cleaned out. It started okay for a day, and then BAM...wouldn't start at all. Friends came over and replaced the battery (which I discovered was inside the car and underneath the passengers seat!!), and it started right up! I drove it all evening and didn't have a single problem with anything! The next morning I came out to go to work, and it is completely dead again!!! Ugh..... Where do I go from here?
  • jkw13jkw13 Member Posts: 5
    Same issue here w/ our 2011. Some days it was start, but then it just stopped and the battery was wearing down overnight. We were also told August 22 for a TIPM but it has not come in yet. We've had the car at the dealer since the end of July. Before that we had it at a local repair shop starting on July 3, who ended up replacing both fuel pumps and the battery ($2,000+). They finally had it towed to the dealer. Chrysler would NOT provide a rental car because we are out of warranty, so we also spent $800+ on a rental. We finally ended up buying a Toyota 4Runner because we just can't be without 2 cars and the rental was too expensive. We're hoping we can sell the GC if/when the part comes in. We are beyond upset with Chrysler and can't believe that a part on national back order is not a recall. I've see this issue goes beyond GC. A number of Wrangler posts were talking about it also.
    This sounds exactly like our problem and it's a part called the TIPM that is on national backorder.
    I'm in on anything we can hold Chrysler responsible for! my email is [email protected]
    We'll keep everyone posted on this. Class action law firm contacted.
  • bigdan33bigdan33 Member Posts: 1
    Please keep us updated. I definitely want to be involved in this. Chrysler's lack of concern or responses to this widespread issue is absolutely ridiculous.

Mine has been in for over a week. After advising of a potential TIPM issue when dropping it off, and them misdiagnosing the issue twice, they finally advised today it is TIPM, and who knows when parts will be in.
  • goose16goose16 Member Posts: 1
    Please keep me updated as well. My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is experiencing the same problem. I had to get my jeep towed into the dealership, and they informed me that I will need to get the TIPM replaced. But that part is on backorder, and I will probably not get my Jeep back till late September or early October. Currently I am a carless in a new state that I just move to. I barely know anyone out here who can provide me a ride, nor am I close to any public transportation. I can't afford to pay a rental car on top of my other bills that includes paying for a jeep that will just sit at a dealers lot for a month.

Chrysler is no help at all and they do not care about their customers. As I mentioned to them they are other people who are experiencing the same problems as me, the representatives goes on to saying that all of those are lies, and I am the only one who has the problem. The lady couldn't keep her story straight.

I can't believe that our taxpayer&#146;s money went to Chrysler to bail them out. Biggest mistake we ever made. We should have let Chrysler go downhill, so it will teach them a lesson. Look at how they are treating their customers after being bailed out our own money.
  • keels1keels1 Member Posts: 1
    Same issue with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee the TIPM needs to be replaced. Purchased used only 25K Miles two months later Check Engine light would not go away, started to stop then had trouble cranking then would not start. Took to local dealership over a month ago, dealership still has my vehicle and Im without a car. Extended warranty will no longer pay for my rental. My house is 30 mins away from my job and I have two small childern. Chrysler could only "expedite" the TIPM to the dealership....meanwhile I'm carless until who knows when. Each week the dealership gives me a different story on when the part will be in.
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    As stated before mine has also had this problem - rough idle, stalls, will not start. The TIPM was replaced today after a 3 week wait. Seems to idle better - not perfect but no longer like it is about to stall. I wrote an email to the Jeep CEO and managed to move to the top of the list. From what I'm hearing a 3 week wait is pretty good - Ha Ha. Now for the bad news, of the 700 or so built all are allocated. More bad news the dealer mentioned that the 2012's are now doing it. There was a 2012 sitting there in the service lane running. They were afraid to turn it off as the owner wanted to drive it home. I held the steering wheel and it had that nice almost mis fire feel while at idle. I smells RECALL as this is pretty bad stuff. As in Jeep dies in the middle of no where. The light mis idle is the start of the problem. Just an FYI I replaced the plugs - all 16 and it made no difference -the rough idle stayed till today after the new TIPM install. One other question is the new TIPM revised or just new meaning it works now but will fail in the future. I will note that the dealer has been great to me and got me the new unit.

Just an FYI -the class action stuff for this type of problem rarely works. Jeep is trying to correct the situation. If they are smart they will extend and or refund everyone's extended warranty bumper to bumper 7/100K - which is way cheaper and smarter than the lawyer stuff.

I am having the very same problem with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and it finally stop starting at all on August 27, 2013. I had to have it towed to the nearest Chrysler Service Center. After two days it was diagnosed as having a problem with the TIPM. Ok, but where does this leave me, well apparently without a car until God knows when. A least, this is what the Chrysler Group CAC came up with. They are saying, that I have to come out of pocket for a car rental and they would reimburse on the back end. This might be fine if I could afford the additional cost. Its being estimated at $1,050./mo not included taxes. Chrysler is say, there is nothing they can do about this because it is not officially a "Recall". This whole situation has been laughable at best. So, I went online to www.safecar.gov to file a complaint, I am urging others to go to this site as well to file a complaint. This is a US Dept of Transportation website.
    Thanks for that website. I was looking at the NHTSB. They have a contact section, but not really a complaint.
    edited August 2013
    Trust me when I say a class action lawsuit is in the works. Until then, make as much noise as you can!

Also note the link is safeRcar.gov (http://www.safercar.gov)
  • liaushoratiusliaushoratius Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I have a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo.
    After driving for a while and stopping, the car wont re-start and the shift assembly freezes. I can't even push in the shift button to get her into neutral. After 15 min's to an hour the shift frees up.

I have already spent a considerable amount of money on Throttle body service, Neutral safety switch, various electrical work...

I am now told it needs a new shift assembly

Has anyone else experienced this problem and what is the correct solution?
    The website is www.safercar.gov. Logging my complaint right now!
  • jcj9jcj9 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. Rough Idle, when cold (not run for over 4-5 hours) cranks and cranks but wont start. Can only get to start with remote start on key. Once started will start every time until it is off for extended period (4-5hrs).

39k miles so out of warranty.

Going in next week Wed morning appointment to jeep service. Dropping off Tuesday night so it is cold in morning when they try to start it.

In addition I have had a transmission shudder since the car was purchased. They have tried the TSB update but that just isolated this shudder to 25-30mph when accelerating. IN addition the shudder is noticeable when maintaining constant speed when cruising up slight incline such as when in cruise control.

ALSO... have lag issues when accelerating from a start, and now it sounds like engine is getting bogged down and makes a loud resonance sound often.

Please keep me posted on the cold start issue as I fear that I will need this TIPM that is on backorder. I fear more the dealership trying to replace other items that are not to blame.
  • bsoulebsoule Member Posts: 1
    As I read many posts, my 2011 Jeep Cherokee needs a new TIPM which the dealer cannot get. I had the privilege of paying a $110 for them to tell me the problem and let me know it is not covered under warranty. I called Jeep and after three customers service reps, jeep will pay half of the $1050 cost to replace.

I was able to still drive as the car would start most of the time with the remote start. Now the fuel pump is stuck on and I have to disconnect the battery to stop it even when the car is shut off. Called the dealer agin and they said there is nothing they can do until the new TIPM part comes in and they cannot tell me when? Very frustrated to pay over $30k for a car with a factory certified warranty and only drive it for 5 months and now I cannot drive it all all and the part to repair is not available?

Jeep needs to step up quickly and replace all the TIPM under a recall or warranty....this unacceptable......
    bsoule I agree and I'm in the same boat. I sent the details to a class action law firm last week. After their first pass, the screeners said there is enough to send it over to a lawyer for review to make a decision on whether or not to take the case. I'll keep everyone posted.
  • trishg23trishg23 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased my 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo just over 2 weeks ago. Thought my issue was my push start button but when the car wouldn't start even with the key I figured there was more to the story. I am very curious to see if Jeep will do anything about this as it seems to be a common issue. I can only hope my warranty covers it! Otherwise, I've wasted good money on the extended warranty!
    The warranty will cover it, but Chrysler cannot get the part. This is a huge mess. Lots of people are affected. We may sue for a recall, but if the company that makes the TIPM goes out of business and Chrysler doesn't have the rights to make it themselves, I'm not sure how that would work. I guess they will have to replace our Jeeps with new ones. Either way, it's their problem, not ours. It's their responsibility to fix this and they are not doing it satisfactorily.
  • johnhenry14johnhenry14 Member Posts: 5
    To all the TIPM patients out there waiting for their transplants we all need to file our complaints with the government. Chrysler won't do the right thing period. They will have to be forced into the recall and I think it gets worse than we know. The NHTSB has on file 5 complaints where the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was in a serious accident and the air bags did not deploy. NHTSB Complaint ID Numbers: 10430083; 10445572;10463107;10482929;1056377

This TIPM thing is now a life, health and safety issue because the air bags are wired into the TIPM as well. There are thousands of us out there that have very high odds that our air bags won't deploy when we need them. This is the case where we now have to help the Government connect the dots, they must force a recall - keep up the pressure. I've been stuck since early July and now I won't have a TIPM until September 25th, this is absurd and revolting.
  • gibsontdgibsontd Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same issue with the TIPM. My car has been on a dealer lot for almost a month now not starting at all. I have called the Chrysler complaint line 4 times. This last time that had erased the first 2 times I called to make it look like I had just called before Labor Day. These folks are despicable and have no business in the customer service business. There has to be a way to get this issue national so the company will have to address it.
  • saluki86saluki86 Member Posts: 1
    Bad News/Good News/BadNews,
    Along with everyone else, my jeep went down due to the TIPM issue with my 2011 . I had it towed to the local dealer on 8/5. Good news, they received a TIPM today, installed it and I have my truck back ... Exactly one month later.!! I also experienced less than satisfactory customer service. No rental or loaner, and a $600 bill (the dealership split the cost of the repair with me ). I have been a loyal Jeep customer for many years (This is my 5th Grand Cherokee ). Words cannot describe how frustrating this experience has been.

If a class action law suit happens, count me in!
  • sstout1860sstout1860 Member Posts: 2
    Tonight 3:02 AM, home at last, after being left stranded at work and no way to get home. My 2011 jeep grand Cherokee would not start. The battery was dead as a hammer. For the past few days I have been having some trouble with my jeep, to where it would not start when cold but after a few tries it would crank. Today was different. Went out this morning got in it, and nothing... not even a light on the dash so I went and bought a new $200.00 battery thinking that had solved my problem drove it to work after 10 hours and at 1am get in to go home again dead on the new battery. I find a charger at work and hook it up. While charging and dead quiet in the early am I notice a humming sound coming from underneath. It is apparently the in tank fuel pump. Every thing is turned off so there should be nothing running at all. Please if there is a class action or Chrysler decides to recall the defective parts let everyone know. I believe I will call my local news station here in Houston giving a report to a journalist who exposes consumer issues like this.
  • pstrinicpstrinic Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    My 2011 Dodge Durango Crew has been at the dealer for over a month, waiting for a TIMP. The service guy yesterday referred to it as "the eternally backordered TIMP" and mentioned there were 1500 on backorder right now. There's got to be a class action suit in this. They can't expect us to accept being without our vehicles for months at a time. :mad:

I just found this: http://www.girardgibbs.com/chryslerlawsuitinvestigation/

I'm going to write them and Chrysler.
    Thanks for that link pstrinic. I have been speaking with a couple of law firms as well. I hope for big news next week or the week of 9/22. If Chrysler cannot ensure our safety or the reliability of their product, they should replace the whole vehicle or refund our money so that we can go buy one from a car manufacturer that gives a crap about its customers. I'm mad too. Not just at this terrible situation, but at the way they are treating us like we are a pain in their rears. They lie every time that I talk to them. They cannot keep their stories straight and they blame everyone they can except for themselves. Classic for a government-owned organization.
  • pstrinicpstrinic Member Posts: 3
    Someone posted about emailing the CEO of Chrysler. Can you share the email address so we can ALL email him/her?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Knowing how big corporations work, even if you got Sergio's office line, you'd still get bounced to customer service. Even the Investor Relations site sends you to customer service.
  • pgmontgopgmontgo Member Posts: 1
    Count me in for a class action member. This is ridiculous.
  • badazchic2badazchic2 Member Posts: 4
    Glad to hear u got ur car back but what state are u in? Im in NY and my car has been at the dealer since Aug 28... I keep calling Chrysler Corp office and they don't have any updated news and don't have an ETA on my part.
  • dsj327dsj327 Member Posts: 1
    My fuel pump runs also when I turn my jeep off! I've been pulling out fuse M10 from the fuse box to disconnect it from draining my battery. My lease is up in 4 weeks can't wait to dump it!!!
    Same thing with mine...the fuel pump continues to run once the car is turned off, causing the battery to run dead. My car has been in the shop since August 19th, and just found out last week that I'm number 1290 on a list to receive the new TIPM sensor...who says the new one will work?!?!
  • grandrapids1grandrapids1 Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately my 2011 Dodge Durango Crew has been at the dealership since August 15th waiting for a TIPM module just like everyone else. I have only had the vehicle for 6 months. Luckily I have the extended warranty but that doesn't help me much when there is a national backorder. I have been on the phone with the Chrysler customer care at 1-800-992-1997 several times this week but they are completely useless. They can't tell me when the part will be available and don't seem to care. They claim a case manager will call you back 24-48 hours after the case is opened but that still hasn't happened yet. The woman I complained to today absolutely refused to transfer me to a case manager, a supervisor or to the parts department. At this point it has been 4 long weeks and there is no hope that it will be resolved soon. This is absolutely ridiculous!!!
    There will be a recall and more when we sue them. Stay tuned. Plans are in the works. We will all be part of it.
  • wilscolawilscola Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the post, I too have been experiencing the same issue. I noticed it a few weeks ago when my battery started showing signs of going dead. I also heard the noise after exiting the truck in the evenings. I thought the noise was some electronics resetting itself, but thought it would eventually shutoff. I did not think this could be killing my battery. I too had to buy a battery thanks cost me a pretty penny now to learn it too would be dead soon. After going to the dealership today for an oil change the truck died in their service bay. Not even five minutes after leaving, the service rep called me and explained how they had to push my truck to their service bay due to a bad Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). We are now with out a vehicle for an undisclosed time and still have the obligation to pay for a product of no use. Chrysler has to find way to address this or it can cost them dearly in reputation and in the pocket if the results don't get better. A recall would be a start but people are without vehicles with monthly payments! Not a good look Chrysler looks like a class action situation.
  • mudmonster3mudmonster3 Member Posts: 2
    check the throttle position sensor and fuel pump
  • sstout1860sstout1860 Member Posts: 2
    http://www.girardgibbs.com/chryslerlawsuitinvestigation/

Here is a link to a law firm that is investigating the issue with tipm. I have been able to use my jeep with the issues but in order to avoid a dead battery I must disconnect the terminal on the battery if its going to be off for more than a few minuets. I simply leave the negative terminal loose and slip it on and off as I need to. I'm unsure if is any risks of fire or damage from the fuel pump not working properly but I am able to use my vehicle.
    Count me in!
  • trishg23trishg23 Member Posts: 8
    Definitely IN.
  • cmeeducmeedu Member Posts: 5
    I would be very suspicious of your "new TIPM". Are you certain that your dealer did not just install one of the faulty TIPMs? I have been told by several people at Chrysler/Jeep that the new TIPM is not available and is on a national backorder. The original TIPM is faulty and an entirely new designed TIPM is what is underway. It appears that the original TIPMs are lasting for about 40,000 miles so if you were to receive one of the original TIPMs and plan on keeping your Jeep, good luck trying to get them to replace it 40,000 miles from now.
  • darnold50darnold50 Member Posts: 9
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 59,000 miles: Just wanted to make a note here that we too have been experiencing the same starting issues. It began last week barely starting and then dying, then just cranking with nothing. Sometimes it would start right up but other times it wouldn't. Finally tried the remote start and it worked first thing. We were able to start it today after not driving it over the weekend after many tries by using the remote start. Took it in today 9/23 and asked them to check the TIPM as I have read all of the replies on here. We got word that it is definitely bad and that, like everyone else has reported, on backorder with no due date. Service guy told me they have 4 in the dealership right now waiting on the part. One had been there for over 2 months. It doesn't sound good. I called the Chrysler line and got a case number so we'll see. We don't have the extended warranty. This $1200 repair will cost me over $4500 in car pymts and rental if I have to wait 2 months or longer!! And who is to say that the new part will be any better. Has it been improved or is the same thing going to happen 25,000 miles later? Insanity!!!
  • issymotoissymoto Member Posts: 1
    WOW!! I wish I had done a Google search prior to buying my Jeep back in December/2012 ... I can't believe all the posters with the same problem!!

I too am getting the same messaging from Jeep and the dealership - what's worse is there is no path to resolution!! Forgetting about "WHO" is going to pay ... there are NO replacement TIPM parts available!! This is the worst situation, no reliable vehicle, no way to fix the situation ... WTF!!

The only helpful advice I can give to fellow frustrated posters - I have been able to get my Cherokee to "somewhat" reliably start (>90% of the time) is to use the remote start feature on the key fob first instead of starting inside the vehicle. Sometimes when I do this the car will start and then shut down after 15-30 seconds, but then it will start again when I get it. When it fails is when I just try to start it inside the vehicle first ... if that happens, I have to wait at least 1/2 hour to an hour to retry.

I too have been stranded 4-5 times now ... 3 of which required towing (maxed out my AAA towing allowances!!). Speaking of which, shouldn't we get AAA in on this potential lawsuit?? I got to believe that AAA has had thousands of additional towing calls because of this problem!!
    You guys are exactly right, they don't care and can't fix it. That's why we need a lawsuit with teeth. If they cannot get this part, they need to replace our vehicles with new versions of the same thing or the cash to buy a new one from a different manufacturer. I don't care if they go bankrupt again and the government has to bail them out. This is such [non-permissible content removed]. This is what happens in third world countries, not America. My "BS Artist" from Chrysler called to tell me that the dealership never ordered the part, which is absolutely not true. I called them five times just to follow up and make sure I was on the list. All they are doing is pointing fingers at each other (the dealership, Chrysler, MoPar, Enterprise, etc.), but never take responsibility for this huge mess. They will not do the right thing. We have got to sue the crap out them.
  • johnoyedjohnoyed Member Posts: 5
    Just got my 2011 grand cherokee overland back from service after waiting 50 days to get a warraunteed TIPM module in. Chrysler is "DECIDING" whether to give me any compensation to pay my lease , insurance and garage payments which will total over 2900.00 $. They were able to give me a rental for half of the time in the shop but it was a crappy compass. Will keep you apprised on their decision on compensation. Its a cluster f*%K over there. When you call the dealership they just want to sell you a new car and its not their problem and refer you to chrysler. The service guys are at the mercy of the parts distributor. Chrysler says read the fine print, they are doing you a favor by giving you anything. Have wasted way to much time dealing with this.
    johnoyed - did they replace your TIPM, or are you still waiting?
  • johnoyedjohnoyed Member Posts: 5
    Yes after 50 days of waiting. There are so many jeeps coming in with TIPM problems, there is a waiting list for the part. My service place had over 10 cars in with the same problem.
    I am on day 43 myself. Today my Chrysler guy called to tell me the TIPM was never ordered. It's not true. They ordered it almost two months ago. They just make things up in order to keep dragging it out. I'm glad you got yours fixed. At least there is hope for us. I heard that the part is made in another country, the company that makes it went out of business and Chrysler does not have the rights to manufacture it themselves. Hopefully that isn't true. Keep us posted on how the new one works.