Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• papenpapen Member Posts: 11
    IF this is your first experience just know you have a LONG road ahead. Major jeep problems that even Jeep can't figure out. Taking our money and running! Basically everything has been changed and car still won't stay running. Good Luck! (1996 year here)
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    how old is battery?

JEEPS like a good battery nice stedy volts etc.
  • mgsanmigmgsanmig Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any ideas about JGC 97, 151K miles stalling after the crack sensor was replaced last May 07, oil changes every 3K miles, changed out all fluids. It was stalling once in a while starting last November 07, then everyday. The mechanic did diagnostic, and while he was driving it the check engine light went off with missfires. He changed the cap & rotor, spark plugs & sp wires (they were changed last August) and thought it would do the trick. A relative told me to change the IAC. The mechanic did so and JGC still stalled. So he did another diagnostic and test drive and the check engine light went off. The alternator needed to be replaced. Mechanic said that there wasn't power going to the battery to "charge." Changed all this within a week and it still stalls! Any other suggestions? Need HELP ASAP!
  • mammamamma Member Posts: 5
    I had a "universal" O2 sensor put in. They aren't universal. It shorted so many times that it fried the computer. I had a new computer put in and it hasn't stalled in 2 months (it also was stalling everyday with no electrical interuption before I had this done). The O2 sensor ruined my catalytic converter too so look for rich exhaust. They had changed the crank shaft sensor and postioner, the distributor, ignition coil and a couple more things I cannot remember. Everythng worked for a day up to a week, then back to the same old stalling problem. The good news is my 97 is almost brand new and I don't recall it ever running so nicely.
    Also, on a different web site (I can't remember it) there was an airline mechanic who figured out the the screws holding in the top part of box holding the computer was actually wearing through some barrier over time. This caused the "shorting" or stalling. He backed out the screws a couple of times (or pput shorter screws in) and many many people on that thread were singing his brilliance because he solved the problem they were having.
    :shades: Hopefully this will help.
  • mgsanmigmgsanmig Member Posts: 2
    Thanks mamma...gives me some hope and an idea of why it could be stalling...what was the cost? We've also changed the coil and the amount to fix has been unbearable. But I love love this Jeep to pieces. It has plenty of power since we fixed a few things, but I hate to sell it after all this work has been done.
  • ike21ike21 Member Posts: 14
    Tonka, did you ever figure out the problem why your Jeep shuts of when turning right. Mine does it now and is getting dangerous. Does anyone know?
  • jeremy20jeremy20 Member Posts: 12
    hello, the battery is fine, I had it checked at Auto Zone. The oil pressure is still acting up, not as frequent. Any suggestions??? I'd greatly appreciate any sugestions
    hello, the battery is fine, I had it checked at Auto Zone. The oil pressure is still acting up, not as frequent. Any suggestions???
  • dhomfraydhomfray Member Posts: 5
    Hi Jeremy

I too have recently had this problem with my JGC 2001. I took it into my garage who were baffled and decided to put it up on the ramps, the switch underneath the engine was covered in muck and gunk and the mechanic gave it a good clean and sprayed it with damp start and low and behold it hasnt done it again. they said the cover under neath the engine covers most of the engine but this particular switch is open to the elements. Hope it works for you
    Hello dhomfray, thank you for the tip. I'll check it out this weekend.
    Did anyone ever have the problem that your Jeep GC shuts of when turning right. My 2000 GC does it now and is getting dangerous. Does anyone know how to fix this? another sensor probably but if I have a full tank of gas it is good but when I start getting past half tank it stall and quarter tank it cuts off and I have to crank it whil erolling. Doesn't effect me turning left.

Thanks
    over the last few days me JGC 2001 feels like i am driving on an icy road, it seems like its not holding the road at all. the slightest bump and its all over the place. can anyone give me any clues. I have never had so much trouble with a car ever. lovely to drive and very comfortable but totally unreliable. I have had head gasket done twice, bearing on power steering shattered giving me no power steering on a busy road! oil pressure switch system which luckily was quick and easy to correct. give me back my shogun anyday!!!!!!
    Hi Jeremy20 did my advice work? just curious
    Hello, Yes, it absolutely did. I degreased the switch and haven't had a problem with it since. Is you JGC still giving you trouble? I wish I had some ideas to try but I am pretty baffled by the symptoms. Have you tried wheel bearings?? Wish I could help. By the way thanks again.
  • spoiltmomspoiltmom Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited edition. It's the one with the V-8 motor in it. Anyways, my dh bought this for me even though I hated it and now I hate it even more! When your stopped at a red light or stop sign it shakes all over and feels like it's going to die. Then occasionally it will die on you with no warning. Last month the transmission locked up in third gear and the check engine light came on. The dealer ended up servicing the transmission at only 40,000 miles. It's currently at the dealer right now and it's been there since Friday. They've never figured out why it keeps dying but they called today and said they have an answer. My torque converter is bad. They say they will replace it for free and this will fix it.

Am I the only one having these problems?? The only reason they actually took it more seriously this time was b/c I did a Google search and found that Chrysler has done a massive recall on other Jeeps and Nitros for the same problem. I took the articles with me to my dealership and they decided that it was possible that there was in fact something wrong with my Jeep.
  • icongodicongod Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport and it is displaying the same symptoms as most of this forum. Nothing sounds out of the ordinary and rpms are normal when I turn the engine over. But if I come to a stop, it jumps and sputters coming to the stop. Idling in drive sometimes drops to near 0 and stalls out when letting off the brake to apply the accelerator. Once on the gas, it will sputter for a few yards. Driving normally down the road, the rps will flucuate and want to "drive itself." Very discerning to safety. When I put it in park, idling will reach 3 to 4 thousand rpms. I will rev the engine and it will then drop back down to "normal" idling. Anyone with experience with this problem (I know there are many), any advice on where I should begin fixing this. My wife refuses to drive it anymore, which suits me fine, but it is still a safety issue.

Sidenote- oil was changed and all the fluids are good.

Any advice will be appreciated. :confuse:
    Throttle Position Sensor. $30 something dollars at Advanced Auto. Takes less than 5 minutes to change. WA-LA! It is located on the upper engine next to your throttle. (next to your windshield) ;)
  • icongodicongod Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow after work. I'll let everyone else know if that's what it is.
  • colt3colt3 Member Posts: 1
    I would look at the neutral safety switch
    Hiya Jeremy20. I am so glad it worked, good for a woman eh?? ha ha. well after reading this forum i booked my jeep into local garage for brake discs and pads and wheel balancing. I got back into the car and yes its running perfect now. I got a 12 month guarantee on all the work so hopefully i can enjoy my jeep. The garage told me the wheel balancing was way out. :shades:
    Hello, dhomfray I have a weird squeaky sound coming from my front driver side wheel. I can hear it when I drive with my window down. I know the pads are good. I'm wondering if it is my rotor. Any suggestions????
    Hiya Jeremy 20, i didnt notice a squeak but as the weather hasnt been good enough here to have the window open lately, that might be why. I just got this terrible vibration making it virtually impossible to hold the steering wheel. It happened when braking after driving over 50mph. Then the brake peddle wasnt smooth when pressing it, it was juddering and vibrating. But after having the new pads, discs (rotors) and a wheel balance it is absolutely fine now. All of those symptoms have gone. I just sit and wait now for the next problem!!!!! :confuse:
    Hey dhomfray, yeah it just started getting nice here so that is why I notice it. Probably has been doing it all winter and just haven't noticed. But thanks for the reply. I have to make an appointment I guess. like you said always something lol. Thanks again.
  • 2tinker2tinker Member Posts: 1
    Can I purchase a Master Cylinder rebuild kit for 1997 JGC? Where? Or, do I have to buy a new master cylinder?
  • hatemyjeep1hatemyjeep1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee, lately when driving my car the battery gage goes a little funny and my brake light come on and my miles flash like my car is going dead but it doesn't, it waits until i turn it off and then the battery wont work for a minute and on its own will decide to come back on now yesterday i went to turn it on and it revved up real hard as if my foot was on the petal but it wasn't .... let it run for a bit and never came back down it was steadily idling at 3k rpms .... turned it off and back on still high put it in reverse and still high... just wondering if anyone has had this happen with these cars??Please Help!!

Thank You,

Brittany
  • cew913cew913 Member Posts: 1
    98 grand cherokee, 4.0 engine - engine turns but does not start. As it is turning over and the gas pedal is pressed to the floor it starts. Continues to run if giving gas. as soon as I let off the pedal it immediately dies out.

Any ideas?
  • roypaul2roypaul2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 laredo with 280000 miles which has been running great. Today it cut off twice after running 50 to 60 miles. After sitting for about an hour it will start and run fine. Temp gauge is showing normal temp, 210 degrees. Thanks
  • hank778hank778 Member Posts: 6
    ive got a 93 jgc. sometimes when the weather is above 60 it stalls out after 5 to 20 miles and will not start back up for 5 to 30 minutes. it is notoverheating. when it stalls i try to check the codes while im sitting there, but i cant get the check engine light to come on at all. after 5 to 30 minutes i will turn the key and the ckeck engine light comes on and it starts right up. i read the codes later and it says the pcm lost power. i have replaced the pcm already, same problem. im thinking about replacing the ign. coil, and crank sensor, but could those be cutting power to the pcm? anyone no what else could be causing this, any help is appreciated, thanks
  • hank778hank778 Member Posts: 6
    sounds like ive got similar problem. mines got 280000 also. one thing you can do is turn the key on and off three times and leave it in the on position and it will read you a code with the check engine light. this will go back to the previous 50 starts. good luck let me know if u find anything out. ive replaced pcm and thinking about replacing crank sensor and ign. coil. my post is below yours , try ckecking codes when stalled.
  • hydrogeo12000hydrogeo12000 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as Message 239 - have a 99 Jeep GC with 170K, and it shudders and cuts out when under acceleration at highway speed, but returns to almost normal at low speed with little throttle. I have heard this could be the fuel pump or catalytic converter. Any ideas please!
  • papenpapen Member Posts: 11
    FIXED problem after two long years!!!!!!!!! Replaced basically everything and Jeep constantly told me hooked up to their computer and couldn't find a problem.
    Turns out the computer is in a bad location just below hoses that leak on top of it. Took it to someone other then Jeep and had the computer rebuilt. They found six errors showing up! Problem was when you checked the actual error it turned out to be fine. After rebuilding the computer at a cost of 395.00 it has been running excellent. Not cutting off after a 20 minute drive. Have placed over 200 miles on it without a problem. Take it to a Triple A guaranteed for 12,000 miles. That way you have backup when a engine light comes on again. Mine did come on once it was under the battery a reset button. Two years of sheer hell because Jeep placed the computer under the hoses to where liquids could fall. Hope this helps all that are suffering from break downs on the side of the road!
  • chaconchacon Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 cherokee. if i leave my jeep alone for a few hours, and try and start it wont start on the first crank but it will start on the 2nd crank. i dont know what to do. people have told me that i could be my fuel pump and or fuel filter. so today i changed it 3 houres and 190$ later i still have the problem good news is i have better gass mialeage. haha if you know what to do or have any suggestions please let me know. thank you
  • 66phil66phil Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 v8. I am having intermittent starting problems. When operating normally, it starts right up, doesn't miss and runs perfect. I will start up almost immediately. Then every couple days, it won't start. It will turn over strongly, but just not fire ? This will almost always happen after it has been running. If I leave it for 20 min- half hour, it will start right up ?? In the morning, it always starts fine and will start normally for several days. Then I will run an errand, come out to start me car, and it just turns over. I leave it for 30 min or so, and it starts immediately? My car has 130,000 miles and it has just had new o2 sensors, an new convertor and muffler, and new plugs. Any ideas guys. Someone suggsted it was the crankshaft position sensor ? Any help appriciated . Thanks
  • 66phil66phil Member Posts: 4
    Most likely plugged up catalytic converter.
  • j98woodj98wood Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 96 Nissan Pathfinder. You put your foot on the brake, bump the key, and it starts right up. First time.
    My 98 JGC...not so good. I find that I usually have to crank the ignition and at the same time give it gas, perhaps halfway down on the pedal. Usually it starts first time although after a couple of seconds of cranking. If it doesn't start first time then it start immediately on the second try; but you can usually smell a little gas. Once it starts first time or second it runs fine.
    I thought most late model cars were supposed to start like the Nissan with the foot on the brake, no gas applied.
    Am I the only one with this issue? Could there something wrong with a sensor or something? The car isn't throwing any kind of code that would trip the engine light.
  • tripper1tripper1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Cherokee Limited with 50K. The ignition switch will not turn, nor will the transmission move from Park to Neutral. Steering wheel is also locked. Newer battery and electrical seems ok. Any ideas?
  • tripper1tripper1 Member Posts: 2
    Tried starting by putting foot on brake and cannot turn key. Took foot off and same thing. No dashboard lights because ignition has not turned at all. It is still in the lock position.
  • mikeysjeep97mikeysjeep97 Member Posts: 4
    I have recently encountered another problem with my Jeep. I went to start it the other day, and it would crank as if it were trying to kick over, but wouldnt fully kick over. I know its not my battery( I have two optimas), and a new starter. I did manage to get it to start if I pressed on the gas pedal and would remain running as long as I had my foot on the gas. I have smelled a strong odor of gasoline when I stop trying to start it, So Im not sure if it has something to do with any of the sensors or If I may have a vacuum leak in one of my hoses causing it to not remain in idle. If anyone has any possible solutions, I greatly appreciate it. :confuse:
    Not the fuel pump or catalytic converter. Your Jeep runs awful at highway speeds but is just fine from stop and go traffic means your car is running lean. What this means is you have a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak is easy to find but can be harder to fix if you go the expensive route (more later). With the car idling and hood up, spray some brake fluid around the engine in small spurts until you hear the engine rev higher. That is where your vacuum leak is and is sucking in the brake fluid and putting it through the engine to fire it up for that second. Cheap way is find the hole and duct tape it. Try black tape as to hide it. I did it to mine and is running great for over 2 years now. Or more expensive you can put in a new seal or tube.
    throttle position sensor everytime. Its on the top of the engine closest to the windshield next to your throttle body. Costs around $30 dollars at Advanced Auto and takes 5 minutes or less to put on. Unscrew the old one and screw in the new. Just make sure the insides match up when you slide it on and don't force it.
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    I have a 97 JGC. It has several problems. One of them was like yours. By disabling vacuum to peripherals I isolated this problem to the evap canister purge solenoid. A good indication is if the problem does not appear during warmup. My manual says computer does not energize solenoid until engine warms up. I replaced solenoid and problem went away. I couldn't believe it ! If you have one, check it. Be careful if you replace it. It's real easy to pull the hose off of the canister while you are trying to remove the line from the solenoid. Mine is behind bumper cover. A real pain to reconnect it.
  • n0otron0otro Member Posts: 12
    My 1996 JGC with 97k on it has recently started stalling out when coming to a stop at a light or stop sign.

I thought it might be the Idle Air Controller valve, so I replaced it but it is still happening.

Could it be a dirty fuel injector? What else should I check?
  • dave5centsdave5cents Member Posts: 6
    Check the battery. I know it doesn't make sense (actually it does when you realize that the JGC is a computer on wheels) but your problem is often associated with a weak battery.

Dave
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the battery was actually changed last month because we thought it was the cause of a different problem. It turned out it was something else entirely and the original battery was fine. I'm pretty confident it isn't the battery, although I will test it again just to make sure. Maybe the battery cables though?

Any other ideas?
    Let me elaborate a little bit more on this problem:

Occasionally, the car will start stuttering when coming to a stop, or accelerating out of a stop and eventually stalling out. It happened today for the first time while driving at low speeds. If I drop the car into neutral while it is stuttering, it will recover and I can continue to drive, but if I just leave it in gear the car will stall out for sure.

I've replaced the idle-air control valve and the throttle position sensor but no luck so far. Interestingly, i've been having intermittent problems(not at all since the stalling started 2 weeks ago) with the electric door locks all the sudden going crazy (repeatedly locking/unlocking for 10-20 cycles and then stopping) while driving. Also, and I'm not sure if it's related, but the low beam lights don't work while I have no problems with the high-beams. I've already replaced the head light switch.

All of this makes me think there must be some faulty wiring somewhere causing all of these problems.

There is one other thing that could be the heart of my stalling problems.
    The engine diagnostic code gives me code 43, indicating cylinder misfires.

Could all of these symptoms point to one thing that may be the main culprit?
  • peterflitepeterflite Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I have a 1997 Grande Cherokee 4.o liter petrol. Trouble is is that it has an intermittent stalling problem at all speeds. You can be driving along just fine with the engine running smoothe then the engine will cut/start/cut /start with the associated transmission judder(auto trans) then the car will come to a halt with the engine stopped. Leave it for a couple of minutes, it will re start and run fine for perhaps 10 munutes then it all happens again. Any ideas please before I get taken to the cleaners at Jeep ??
    Code 43 means it is the CamShaft Position Sensor. With all that is going on it sounds like that is what is. The part is only about $40 dollars but I would have a mechanic put it on but do not let a Jeep Dealer do it. They will rip you off. Any mechanic can put it on and so can you but it's a little hard especially if you don't have a lift.
    Read # 324. You also have a faulty Camshaft position sensor. Your problem sounds a lot like a throttle position sensor but that with it happening at all speeds that can't be it because it would only stall out when coming to a stop or idling at stop.
    As for the other stuff going on with locks and lights seems to be the computer. It is in a bad spot on your GC (hoses leak on it) You can get a rebuilt one or rebuild yours. Check out Ebay. Don't buy a new one because it is refurbished (rebuilt) and cost a lot more. Junk yard can pull one. The low beams sometimes just go bad anyways and you have to replace the whole light which I know you can get cheap on ebay. If they new lights work I wouldn't worry about the computer if the locks only went crazy once or twice and has not happened again. Sometimes there is a glitch and you can reset the system but leaving your battery unplugged for 8 hours.
    A trick we used to use to make big bucks off Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler customers. I work for Ford now but still love my Jeep!
  • claire5claire5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have a Jeep grand cherokee, V8 4.7L I think it is year 2000 one of the first new look ones. Anyway when I take it on a short journey or it gets parked in the sun, the majority of the time the car wont start again. If it is cold or hot then starting is fine if occassionally a little hesitant. I have had the fuel pump replaced as my garage reckons the sensors were showing a fuel problem, but it still does it, I have had the crank sensor replaced but it still does it. I want to take it to an engine diagnostic place but want to give them clue as where it might be. If the sensors are scanned afterwards when the car is running again no error shows up. Please any suggestions would be fantastic
    Thanks Claire