Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• dave257dave257 Member Posts: 1
    Just an additional thought for those suspecting that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is the culprit. I have found on more occasions than I like to remember, that you must check the wiring on the sensor all the way to the connection near the firewall. If the wire bundle that holds all the extra wiring length of the sensor comes loose or gets cut loose during maintenance, it is long enough to sag down and touch the exhaust, melting away the insulation, and shorting. It can even be intermittent, shorting out as the jeep warms up, and then opening after a period of cool down.
  • scott2000scott2000 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 gc and I'm having similar problems. I have a new crankshaft sensor, coil, plugs , wires, fuel pump, filter. Still shuts down while idling, and wants to shut down while driving. I had my harmonic balancer replaced and started having these problems. I seem to fix the problem when I tighten my drive belt but it will still act up . I am suspect of the pullies being offline because of the work I had done but, all the mechanics say it looks fine. I had my truck at the dealership for a week and it stalled when I got it home. I loosened my drivebelt and the problem was very present. I tightened it and, it went away. I'm going to take it back to jeep tomorrow and I'll find out more. This stinks and I figured I'd share my experience that I'm having. Love my truck though.
  • jeeper6jeeper6 Member Posts: 2
    Scott and all you other folks out there having this problem:

I had previously posted in this forum having a similar problem of my 96 xj cherokee shutting off near low idle. I finally fixed the problem recently and it turned out to be a bad distributor. The post of the distributor was very loose and had a lot of play. Check this on yours be removing the distributor cap and wiggling the post coming out of the distributor. If it has any play side-to-side at all, it needs to be replaced (I paid $60 at autozone). It's a tough install though - make sure your teeth are lined up the same way as the old one when you put the new one in or your engine won't fire right. suggest having a professional do this one if you are not comfortable doing these kinds of fixes.

hope this helps. cheers!
  • sussexcofarmersussexcofarmer Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 96 jeep cherokee (4.oL, auto w/232k mls) 2 days ago. It checked out ok on test drives but after getting it home its since failed. There were serious wiring problems with the previous owner hot wiring a kicker and amp directly to the battery. I pulled out all the wires, rewired the radio harness with plugs rather then the spit and glue he used. Cleaned the battery posts from all the corrosion his wiring job did. The next day it started and stalled right away once I took my foot off the gas. It will turn over but just dies when it goes down to idle. Any ideas???
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Make sure the alarm is not set. If it is on, it will allow a start followed by an immediate stall. Use your remote to make sure it is off. If that doesn't help, try disconnecting and connecting the battery again. I'm sure others will have some other ideas.
  • mpzanottompzanotto Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2000 Grand Cherokke Laredo, it's a 6 cil. 2WD, the car is in excelent conditions, sometimes when the transmission is in PARKING mode de ignition fail to start, then when I move the stick to DRIVE mode, works fine. Anyone have any clues for this issue ? I just love the car, it's a dream come true to me. :) Thanxs for your time.
    Mauricio
    Are you using the original ignition key ? Because a copy of the key will cause a problem with the ignition.
    :)
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    nutral start switch need adjustment
  • jaylalibjaylalib Member Posts: 2
  • jaylalibjaylalib Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

This problem started yesterday. First it would start once then run for about 3 seconds then stall. After that it would turn over but not start. If you left it alone for 2-3 minutes it would repeat that process. After about 6-7 times of this it will no longer even turn over. Just get 1 click sound when I turn the key to start. Sounds like coming from under the right side of the dash each time I turn the key to start.
    Clock radio and window control lights on the driver door go out when I try to turn over.

Not the battery, headlights come on strong. Also tried to jump it, just to rule that option out.

Any Ideas? Out of warranty, 46,000 miles. :(

Thanks,

Jason
  • jim83421jim83421 Member Posts: 6
    I am working on a 1990 grand cherokee 4.0 engine with new plugs & wires. It fires off like it suppose to but after running a few seconds it stumbles, backfires ,runs very rough. It only lasts few minutes then it starts to run fine with no problems at all. fuel pressure is very good and no codes in the computer system.. any ideas that may lead me to the cause .............
  • jnunezjnunez Member Posts: 1
    2001 jeep cherokee 6 cylinder 4x4 man trans. After driving around for 30 min to an hour on hot days the eng sounds like it re starts on 5 cylinders. The truck starts to shake and the eng code is # 3 cylinder misfire. I have changed the plugs and coil module. I think it could be a eng computer problem any Ideas.
  • runforrestrunforrest Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, have a 2000 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8. had no real problems until today, pulled over for five minutes, engine off, head lamps on. would not turn over when I went to start it. ( battery recently flat due to wife! ) Got it started with jump leads and sounded awful, not firing on all cylinders and would not idle AT ALL. Whiring/slight screeching somewhere also.Had to be towed home!
    Car has had recent LPG conversion. Switch to petrol, same problem. Any ideas????
    sound like you have alternater prob
    how old is battery if over 2 3 years change it
  • astemastem Member Posts: 6
    Hello to all. I have a 2001 Sport and it's in great shape. No issues and no engine lights going on. This morning she just wouldn't start. Sounds strong when I hit the ignition, but just won't turn. I didn't see a code show up, but "no bus" did show. How seriuos is this, and what do I need to do to get her fixed. THANKS
  • runforrestrunforrest Member Posts: 4
    thanks, spot on. new battery did the trick, will see if the alternator keeps it charged. thanks again
  • jwnicholsjwnichols Member Posts: 2
    My girlfriend got her Jeep brand new in December of 2005. The problems began almost as soon as she got it. She will turn the key to try to start the car, and it will try to turn over and then she loses all power to the dash and air conditioner and the check engine light comes on. She will then turn it off and restart it (sometimes a couple of tries) and it will work just fine (engine light will stay on for a day or two then go off). In addition, sometimes she will be driving and the same thing will happen. The jeep will stall and she will have no electrical power. Another possibly related problem is that sometimes the vehicle will shutter at low speeds or when stopped at a stop light or something. She has had it in the shop five or six times, and they have replaced several things, but to no avail. Anyone have any thoughts on this? TIA
  • rdkljeep98rdkljeep98 Member Posts: 1
    hello all, i have a curious problem that i have been experiencing lately with my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, its a straight six and i bought it about 4 or 5 months back. When i put it in gear it intermittenly loses power, i can push my foot down on the gas pedal, and nothing happens. The jeep still is running but it just doesnt respond to the gas being applied, but (and this is where it gets a bit curious) if im stopped at a stop sign or a light while its still in drive but my foot on the brake, the jeep will begin revving and if i let off the brake a bit, it will not just roll but lurch forward as if a good amount of gas was applied while my foot isnt even near the gas pedal. also while driving, and experiencing the loss of power popping sounds can be heard from under the hood. the rpm needle jumps up and down the whole time this is going on as well, and the engine runs like garbage when its in park and this is happening. On a whim, we changed the crank sensor thinking it might be somehow related, but that didnt do it. does anyone out there have any possible ideas that could help? anything would be appreciated
    i would try a new distrubrater inside it it has a cam sensor that is used in relation to crank sensor by the computer and also the soloinides in the trans
  • knick31knick31 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 55,000 on it and it was running fine until my wife tried to start it after running some errands and all she got was a clicking noise and then nothing. I cleaned up the battery cable connections and made sure everything was tight. I then tried to start it but to no avail. I then tried jumping it but all that helped was that it would just crank. When I do try to turn it on the lights on the gauges come on and the gauges will go back and forth then stop but it will not crank? Is it something with the security system?...Thanks
    how old is the batt?
    these jeeps have to have a good batt or you have all kinds of prob
    if batt is 2 or 3 years old get a new one try it you might just solve your prob
    I replaced the battery and had a new key made..no luck. Mechanic from the dealership stopped by to program the key and stated that it is more than a key problem. Had it towed back to the shop. Also noticing a loud buzzing sound from engine fuse box which he had never heard before. He stated it was from the transmission control fuse? But it least it has power and will crank but not fire off...need some positive thinking..hope it is just a control module....
    Quick fix on the Jeep...only had a blown fuse (ATC10)so I am off and running...at least I now have a spare key!!! Thanks to all for your input..hope this helps anyone in the future.
  • c_nissec_nisse Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport and was having the "no bus" message show on the display while driving. It would be accompanied by an airbag and check-engine light, along with the speedometer and tachometer dropping to 0. I was able to either hold down the trip meter and "reset" it or wait 60 seconds or so for it to clear on its own. Took it to the dealership and they said it was caused by a faulty guage cluster connector. I never had issues with it not starting as a result, but thought it might help to know that "no bus" means there is a probably a break somewhere in the electrical system.
  • c_nissec_nisse Member Posts: 3
    My 01 Cherokee Sport inline V6 just started doing the same thing, but with a #1 cylinder misfire code. I have changed my plugs (used OEM Champion plugs), cleaned the fuel injection system, and have a fuel filter on order at the dealership... no dice so far. I read something about carbon deposits on another forum and will try the distilled water flush next weekend before switching out the filter. My issue is also accompanied by a solid when resting and flashing when going above 30mph check-engine light. Please let me know if you found the fix. In retrospect, I think this issue crept up over the span of 1 month. Started with the occassional warm start chugging to now happening under any type of heat stress (stop and go/slow and go traffic).
  • naxan90027naxan90027 Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee (L6 4.0 liter) keeps stalling. 25% of the time, in runs fine. But usually, it sounds like it fires about 2-3 cylinders per cycle when accelerating and the RPM goes up very slowly and choppy. By this time, if I let go of the gas, It will slowly choke itself. I changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, and it still remains the same.. I took it to 3 mechanics and they can't figure it out..
    But this is my idea, and if you can, tell me if it's a possibility. I used to have a 92 mercury tracer, and a 94 ford ranger. And they both had the same problem. The left blinker would get stuck on the on position, without blinking. And both cars would sometimes die out.. And when i got them fixed, it was the same problem. It was a short in the wiring which killed the fuel pump..
    Now, my Jeep keeps reading that there is a rear tail lamp failure and the reverse parking lights do not work, though the fuse is fine and i replaced both bulbs. Could that short possibly be the cause this problem???
  • 1998jgcltd1998jgcltd Member Posts: 1
    I have the same vehicle with what sounds like the same exact problem. It idles really rough (RPMs fluxuating while in park and sounds rough) intermittently on start - up, then upon acceleration chokes, hesitates, and nearly stalls. I haven't heard the popping sound yet. This issue started in the winter about a year and half ago. At first it only seemed to happen when it was cold, but its summer now and happened 3 days in a row. I have had it into the dealership at least a half a dozen times and I don't even know how many things they have checked and/or replaced (fuel system, battery, computer), but have never been able to duplicate or fix the problem and the computer never has any fault codes. I know this doesn't necessarily help you, but reading your post made me feel like I'm not crazy. There are lots of posts out there that seem similar but not exactly the same thing. If I get it fixed or find something I'll let you know, and maybe you could do the same for me?

Thanks.
  • em82678em82678 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone! I have a 96 Country with over 101,000 miles that won't start unless I put my foot on the gas and leave it there for a few minutes. Sometimes if I take my foot off it dies. I know it's not my battery because my radio work, the power windows work, ect :confuse: . My check engine light isn't on so I don't know what's wrong with it. My air filter is good and clean, however, I'm not sure about the fuel filter. Anyone know what could be causing this? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!!
    suspect you have tps going bad
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    The throttle position sensor is a likely trouble spot. In a fuel injected vehicle keeping your foot on the pedal keeps the throttle plate full open which lets more air in.
  • carsaregreatcarsaregreat Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to see if anybody had any issues even remotely like this before or any suggestions. I just picked up the new vehicle yesterday. This morning I unlocked the doors with the key fob, opened a couple of the doors and loaded my luggage, then I did the key sequence on the keyfob (lock+panic) to turn off the BEEP when you lock the car. After all this I go to start it (correct starting procedure - wait for glow light to go out) and the starter cranks the engine with no firing at all. I repeat and wait several times. Finally after I have waited about 2 more minutes, I tried again and it fired right up like it is supposed to. I put nearly 500 miles on it today stopping and starting all day long with no more problems.

Any clues? Could the combination of opening the doors and playing with the key fob have temporarily confused the immobilizer? I talked to 4 dealers and none of them have heard of this problem before. No check engine light
  • jeepster13jeepster13 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, all.....
    2002 JGC Laredo with +- 93K....extreme hesitation after stopping...have to keep literally stomping on gas pedal...
    very fast idle upon starting in morning, sometimes as high as 3000 RPM...very noisy....had transmission fluid and filter changed out around a month ago, everything seemed fine....trouble started back up about 3 days ago. Also, as I'm driving along, I've noticed a loss of power accompanied by revving of the engine, only fix has been to pump gas until it works its way out....after idle calms down upon starting, I get a shaking,sputtering sensation...almost like it's going to stall out. Finally, my engine light is ALWAYS on, code refers to gas cap/emissions....CANNOT get it cleared.
    ANY help is appreciated....taking my Heep to the garage on Saturday.... :mad:
  • ohno2ohno2 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I went to Autozone and I was told that it would be too hard for me to replace and I should take it to a Jeep Service Center and not to any other stations. So... I did. The problem was the wiring (core return). They said the 3 wires were not properly connected.(Connector at starter). I needed another new battery because it shorted. "This is the third new battery I purchased" So far, it works. Total cost $440.00 not including the tow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    :blush:
    Thanks again everyone. If anyone is still having problems check the wiring. Jeep seems to have a lot of problems with electrical wiring.
  • jeepbaby1999jeepbaby1999 Member Posts: 3
    I just brought this used 1999 JGC stalls when I reach 60 mph and five mins stalls out by loss of power or feel like it need gas or loss of vacuum pressure an jump to 200rpm and then bottoms out or it may catch it self with gas and run but it always stalls at the light or on the express way . When it stall sometimes it will start right away or it may take 5-30 mins to crank over to start again and the cycle start again . The check engine lite m come on but most of the time the check lite come on. This problems are all the time but it was not as steady now i can't go to far on expressway because it will happen for sure. PLEASE HELP . I change the spark plugs and check the fuel lines . :cry::( :confuse: Can any help with be possible problems :sick:
  • finster2finster2 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Jeep grand cherokee LE starts up fine, does not stall, but the idle raises itself to 3000rpm and down and then up and then down? Please help me before I blow up my jeep [My dealer can not figure it out although it has been there many times with the same problem, they say there is nothing wrong. They just keep saying come and pick it up it is fine and then the same problem occurs. Thanks Liz
    have them change the TPS
    sounds as if not working right
  • finster2finster2 Member Posts: 2
    To tuggajb, Thank you for your reply I hope this will work. .
  • christyconradchristyconrad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (2Wheel Drive) and it has about 140k miles. When it runs, it runs great – I have never had any problems with this car. However, something is now draining the battery and I have had it to the station to be fixed so many times that they can't find anything else to check. What happens is everything is fine if the car is driven everyday. But if it sits for more than a day the battery will drain and the car won’t start. There is no consistency to the problem, it can sit for 2 days and a brand new battery will be dead or sometimes it can take 3 weeks driving the car occasionally for the battery to drain. Mainly it happens if the car sits for more than 2-3 days, but then other times it has sat for a few weeks and was fine. This is not my primary car so it's hard to drive it everyday to ensure this doesn't keep happening. The station put it on the computer and can't find anything on the diagnostic check, we disabled the alarm, stereo since we put in a different one from the factory, replaced the starter, they can't find a short in the wires, yet something is not right. Would you have any ideas by chance? I would like to sell this car since I have a new one, but in good faith I can't sell knowing that it has this problem especially since I live in a small town :) Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have.
  • maria504maria504 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a used JGC 1998, it has been in the shop more than I had it. I test drove it-loved it-bought it. The next week I had to change the Catalytic Converter, then two weeks after it stalled on me while idle at a light, started right back up with no check engine light on. Mechanic says I need a sensor, I got a Idle Air Control,and two others don't exactly remember the names(he says they are very common on these jeeps. Next day stalls again while driving down the block. Mechanic says IAC sensor is bad so he changed it again. A few days later stalls and hesitant to start while idle again NOW this time it's running really rough and sputters at lights, in traffic. My fuel light came on too and then all of a sudden dissaperaed again. Mechanic says it must be that my jeep only likes parts from the dealer so he changed sensor AGAIN and cleaned fuel injectors!! Still runs crappy,and breaks down at stop sign very rough.
    I went to a NEW mechanic, the computer test told him that I need: Ignition Coil, Fuel Pump Relay, and a new computer ECM....TOTAL 762.10 ugghhh...Help what do you think??Sorry so long.... :lemon:
  • bgmoodybgmoody Member Posts: 1
    We also bought a used 1999 JGC V8 last sept, and it has been a NIGHTMARE! Our problem has been similar to yours, started out stalling at random times once a week or so, and then advanced to every time we would drive it! We had replaced the PCM, Fuel pump module, ASD relay, crank sensor, CAM relay, IAC relay, and then the PCM again. 3000 dollars later, we took it to a friend of a friend who is a jeep wiz... he told us to replace the battery. Apparently jeeps batteries only work intermittently while driving. So, the battery will start up the car and then other electric functions will keep it running, but if your battery is low on juice and it comes back to its turn to carry the load, it will just shut the whole thing down and thus...the notorious stalling issue. Sorry so long winded...but after our issues, it took some convincing for me! Anyway, we replaced the battery in July and have not had an issue again. I think we are still going to sell it just because this jeep has been such a headache!
    Hope this helps you!
    I just bought a used JGC 1998, it has been in the shop more than I had it. I test drove it-loved it-bought it. The next week I had to change the Catalytic Converter, then two weeks after it stalled on me while idle at a light, started right back up with no check engine light on. Mechanic says I need a sensor, I got a Idle Air Control,and two others don't exactly remember the names(he says they are very common on these jeeps. Next day stalls again while driving down the block. Mechanic says IAC sensor(new one) is defective so he changed it again. A few days later stalls and hesitant to start back up- while idle again NOW this time it's running really,really rough and sputters at lights,and in traffic. My fuel light came on too and then all of a sudden dissaperaed again. Mechanic says it must be that my jeep only likes parts from the dealer so he changed sensor AGAIN and cleaned fuel injectors!! Still runs crappy,and breaks down at stop signs and lights very rough.
    I went to a NEW mechanic, the computer test told him that I need: Ignition Coil, Fuel Pump Relay, and a new computer ECM....TOTAL 762.10 ugghhh...Help what do you think? How often do these ECM's go bad.
    not realey that often

how old is batt if 2 3 years old cheap to try new batt jeep likes smooooooooth volts from batt just a thought
  • caz3caz3 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my wife ran some errands and the jeep (4.7L, 115k miles) ran fine. Last night when I went to start it, it turned over fine but just wouldn't start. I tried starting in neutral, fiddling the shifter in every conceivable direction, and trying with gas pedal in all possible positions. The only problem we've ever had with it was last week the tach would bounce around when traveling at 50 mph. Figured it was the TPS and the shop we took it to (we were on the road) confirmed and replaced it. Worked fine until last night's non start event. Any ideas?
  • ohno2ohno2 Member Posts: 9
    I know what you're going through. Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. Since I got mine fixed, I still would not drive it on any highways. I only use it locally. Best thing to do is to take the Jeep to only a Jeep service center. They seem to know how to fix Jeep problems Plus, their work is guaranteed. I spent too much money going to other places that only charged me lots of $ without fixing the darn problem. So far so good. "Knock on wood".

Good Luck :)
  • tonkadogtonkadog Member Posts: 6
    Update on the Grand Cherokee. My son replaced the computer after having it rebuilt. GC worked fine for a couple weeks or so then it started trying to quit while she was driving down the highway at 70mph. It would quit then start back up on its own sort of like the tranny was going south. Then she said it quit while in the middle of a slow turn again. Yesterday it quit while she was sitting in it idling while waiting for my wife and me to get organized to follow her home.
    Okay now what?
    Replaced the PCM and battery so far but nothing else.
  • carsaregreatcarsaregreat Member Posts: 3
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Run it hard. It is a diesel thing.

Nescosmo.
  • jeepbaby1999jeepbaby1999 Member Posts: 3
    :sick: I do thank you for your reply to my sick jeepbaby the dealer came and pick up the car and took it to shop on the way there the same stalling problems happen to the dealer. So I have wait for the results thank god I have warranty on the jeep baby, but I will change the battery when i get it back from the shop. :sick: