Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Brake Questions

2»

Comments

• rmsemanrmseman Member Posts: 2
    I have 93 K on my '05 Colorado. After not using my parking brake for almost a year (the mileage per tank increased by 50 miles which shows the brake was dragging) I decided to have it fixed. The Chevy dealer diagnosed the problem as a bad FRONT cable. This was replaced for several hundred $ including labor and then they said that one of the rear cables needed replacement. At the next appointment which cost another $135.00 the problem seems to be fixed. I can now use the parking brake for parking on western Pennsylvania hills.

There is either a bad design on these components or deteriorating materials. It's a shame that on so nice an overall design as the Colorado that little flaws like the park brake system keep it from being recognized as an industry leader. Come on GM, you can do better than that.

GM has done a helluva lot of warranty work on my truck—paint issues: rust-perforation on the hood: faulty valve guide seals which necessitated a cylinder head replacement. If they build them right in the first place and we know they can, the y won't have warranty issues or unhappy owners.
  • brickred1brickred1 Member Posts: 3
    ? never had any problems with my 05 rear brakes. but had many problems with blower motor. repaid 2x under warranty,and went after. i e-mail gmc & complained about the problem and told them i didn't want to pay for another repiar. i also told them i wanted a permenet sulotion. so they told me to return it to the dealer and they repaired it for free. i had no moe problems with since. p.s i also let them know i was a loyal gm costumer.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    brickred1,
    I'm glad your concerns were addressed. If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rukus2rukus2 Member Posts: 13
    Sold the '06 Colorado. It was an Extream, Blkack, 4 door. 171K miles. While the engine ran great, the rest of the truck was junk. The S10 was a far better truck. GM dropped the ball (as with most of the stuff they are putting out these days). Heater blower relay 4 times, wiper motor twice, I lost count on rear brake jobs (well over 20). Cellinoid (spelling?) for driver heated seat 2 times. And the list goes on. The I5 is solid though. Trans as well. Never had an issue. No leaks etc. Not even a tick. I used to buy a new GM truck ever 2-3 years. I now own a Nissan based 100% on how bad the customer service is with GM. I will never buy another. (8 trucks and 4 cars is enough).
    To be fair, the dealer (Bill Jacob's in Lisle) did not help either. The mechanics broke my head light during an oil change and would not fess up. They leaned on it and cracked the housing. I also had to get the wires to fog lamps fixed because as the dealer said "GM screwed upt he design and water runs down the wires so the rust and brake". When they did this they put the lamps in wrong so the shake when I drive. They said that is how they where when I brought it in and wanted $800 for replacments.

GM is run by clueless people. Form marketing one down to Customer service. (how did the SSR10 work out?)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    rukus2,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pmchonepmchone Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the post. I had all the bolts off (only broke one socket) but the dang rotor/hub would not come off the spindle. What is the secret to getting the rotor assembly off the spindle???
  • colo06colo06 Member Posts: 4
    My father is or (was) a loyal GM customer, i could have been one but they didn't threat me like you. I have a 06 4x4 colorado 150000 km and i had so many problems whit it. I called them to tell them what was going on and they won't do nothing. Because I always repaired it myself and I didn't went to the dealer to fix it, they won't do nothing for me. They tell me that they maybe can fix a few things but i need to pay for the diagnosis !!!?? 110$/Hour=$$$$$$$

I will let you know if i'm going to stay a good gm customer cause at the beginning i use to love that truck
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I gather that you've already called GM of Canada? Have you already been in to have the work done? Please keep us posted, and I'm sorry that this experience is resulting in you falling out of love with your Colorado.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dgrmuxbdgrmuxb Member Posts: 2
    I just got my '05 colorado to haul my bike and it has been back to carmax 4 FOUR times. I explained to them that it was almost a grinding feeling as I used the brakes in traffic, a jerking grab as i coasted to a stop and a wobble at Hwy speeds ( I use cruise control for my commute to and from work). The second time I was told they couldnt find anything. (The Tech has me drive the car with him to try and explain what I was feeling) But, it might be the tire out of balance and they would go ahead and get all four balanced for me, lost he truck for a few days. I got the truck back had the same issues. call them back to set up another appointment. The third trip they told me the rotors were warped and they would have to replace them, lost the truck for about a week. The customer service rep assures me that they've nailed the issue and the truck is good togo. No more than a week later I'm setting up another appointment due the same wobble shaking the truck so bad you'd think a tire was going to fall off, absolutely driving me insane with the grind making me think I'm going to kill myself trying to get home one night when the breaks fail. Back to setting another appointment (fourth), the service Rep tells me that the tech ( a different one from the last) would like to drive the truck with me to see if they could "recreate" the issues I'd been having. sure enough the truck wobbles and grinds before we get out of the parking lot. We continued the test drive and I point it out to him as we ride and he give me the story of how hard the truck is to work on and how it still might be a balancing issue. I leave the truck with them. Day two the service rep calls me and says they have to turn the rotors. I ask could this be because when the put the new rotors on the didn't replace the pads? he had NO CLUE! the kicker that makes you want to freak out is the machine to turn the rotors was broken and they were trying to get it up so they could get me fixed up. OUTSTANDING! Now the question is when will I actually get the truck back. Three days, (3) days later I get the call the truck is ready and all issues have been resolved. I rearrange my wifes schedule and make plans to pick up the truck and once again before I can get out of the parking lot we ahve the same issues. My scheduled wouldnt allow for me to head strait to the Chevy dealer to have the people who built the damn thing tell me what was really wrong with it. and after reading these post, sound like they have no idea how to correct the problem either. The Christmas gift (purchase date DEC 21, 2011) to haul the motorcycle around and allow us to not be tethered to on car when we haed out of town has turn into a pain in the A##. Three months I'm working on and the truck still runs like S%^& and I just got an email from a Carmax manager asking my how was my last how my last visit went after seeing I had been in for service. I emailed him back asing if would cold talk about my visit(S) this friday and i"ve yet to hear from them. Of course the 30 day warranty is up and it nothing buy a up hill battle now. Shame on Chevy for neglecting a design flaw, not standing behind its brand and issuing a recall to fix this. Easy to see why they needed a bail out! a sad shame. If anyone can help I thank you in advance.
    :confuse:
    I'm sorry to hear that your Colorado is creating such difficulty for you. I just want to make sure I understand: Carmax is an independent shop, not one of our dealerships, correct (I'm about 99% sure, but wanted to ask just in case)? And you haven't been in to one of our dealerships to have this looked at yet?

If you were to visit one of our dealerships (I realize you state that your schedule makes this difficult), we would be interested in following up on how everything goes. Please get in touch via email if we can be of assistance.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • greg164greg164 Member Posts: 3
    The rear brakes on my truck grab, lock up, and squeal. It is a real pain. I took it to the Chevy dealer twice. The first time they told me they had cleaned them and that worked for a few weeks. I took it in again and they said that they needed cleaning again and charged me for the pleasure of doing this for me. It was still less than 3 years old and had less than 15000 miles on it. It started getting so bad a few months later that I had a different shop put new brakes on the rear and turn the drums. This worked for a few months and they started doing it again. I took it to a third different shop and they said it was just a bad design. They worked on them and it helped for a little while, but within several months the problem was back. This time the front brakes were screaming too. I had the second shop redo the front brakes and clean the rear. This has worked for the front brakes, but the rear ones are back to their horrid ways and it's driving me crazy. I have forked out about $1000.00 on the brakes of this truck and it only has 31000 miles on it. If I could get the brakes truly, fixed I would spend another 1000.00 and be happy just in knowing the brakes weren't going to kill me. Has anyone tried replacing the entire brake system on one of these trucks with an aftermarket system. Can anyone point me in the right direction. It is a 2008 Chevy Colrado
    Good morning greg164,

I'm sorry that this brake concern has been so problematic for you. Were the last two shops you worked with independent or some of our dealerships? We're available to you to follow up with any dealerships on work done, if you like. Please get in touch via email.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    The last two shops I took it to weren't Chevy Dealerships. I took it to Sutherland Chevrolet in Nicholasville, KY the first two times and they didn't fix it, so I tried elsewhere. Is there a fix for this problem or am I doomed an have to deal with it.
    I finally got rid of my brake problem, I traded it for a Honda Ridgeline. Good luck to anyone who owns one of these trucks with squealing brakes. It is unfortunate, but you're one your own. I have made my second and last mistake with GM.
  • woodysrwoodysr Member Posts: 2
    My 04 Colorado, 60k miles, has had recurring E Brake sticking, brakes squealing and grabbing when cold. The brake pedal goes so low when cold that your foot can simultaneously hit the accelerator. The entire brake system is a disaster waiting to happen. The last time I took it into a GM dealer was during a trip eastward in new mexico. The service writer was so busy telling me about GM diagnostic fee, I told her to forget it and made do. (AND IT WAS UNDER EXTENDED MAINTENANCE!) Solution? Never use the parking brake, put it in Park and it won't roll. This is what happens when you use MBAs to design and sign off on vehicles. And then they fly multiple biz jets into DC to ask for money! I drove GM products for 40 plus years but last year, I purchased a new Ford product. One year later, only a valid low tire pressure warning. When I can unload this sucker it won't be a GM product that replaces it!
  • woodysrwoodysr Member Posts: 2
    Since I plan to unload my last GM vehicle, I called a local dealer and asked how they were repairing the recurring Colorado brake problems. He said "There are no problems aside from wear and tear" Well, I am amazed! Since I cannot in good conscience dump this PU on an unsuspecting buyer, I'll do it myself. New ceramic pads and I'll just fight with or replace the stupid parking brake cable! Since it probably cost GM a buck, their markup will make it 100.00 retail. Good-by GM!
  • fmagellanfmagellan Member Posts: 10
    I'm happy with my 05 Colorado other than the electrical glitches that GM won't own up to (bad design/flaws). Tried to change the rotors and saw the Cluster**** that GM has decided to use on the Colorado for brakes. Changing rotors and pads should take no more than 30 minutes per wheel. What was wrong with the old design of having the rotor slide over the hub/studs? Too simple I guess. I figure GM had to make this newfangled design so average Joes like me couldn't do it themselves and force us to take it to the dealer so they can charge $600 to do an $80 job. Way to go GM! This seals it for me. I will never buy GM again. I'm tired of GMcustserv apologising for problems with the vehicle that GM won't own up to. They have lost a loyal customer and I will make sure I tell everyone I know.

*** Can't wait to hear "We are SO sorry that you have had prblems with your vehicle. Have you taken it to your dealership?"
  • michael79michael79 Member Posts: 21
    i went to look at one today, 4x4, they wanted 9962.00, i thought it was to much, 120,000 miles, was in a small accident, i drove the truck, ran good, i told the sales man, have to fix the lens in the back light, wheel bearing hums left front, drivers seat can't be adjusted, needed a evac sensor, brakes (front) front grill rattles, back tail gate wouldn't open, needed tierod ends and front brakes, seemed ok to me, but he said they needed them, now i am so glad i read alot on this forum, i told them i would give them 9000 out the door after they fixed the items, they came back said, out the door would cost 12,000 because of all the work it needed, never said 9962 as is, i expected the work to be done, tax's and all dealer cost i know, but to fix and pay for the work, kiss my butt, you probably gave the poor sucker 6000 for the truck because it needed all the work. thanks again, i will stay away from these. my brother swears by his, but it goes to the shop for everything, i work on my own.
  • rmikolajczykrmikolajczyk Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4. Have 251,000 miles on it, and going strong !!! Must have gotten one of the good ones.
  • ThomaslammaThomaslamma Member Posts: 1
    So my abs light came on I hooked it up to my buddy's obd and it came up with codes c0035, c0055, c0220, c0899, u1026, u1064 and c0220. Seems overwhelming to me anybody know what it all means?