Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• jsmalljsmall Member Posts: 2
    my 1987 dakota v6 truck is not getting fire from the coil so it wont start. i replace the rotor, ign coil, dist cap, the ecm,and still no fire. if someone had this problem please help me thinks
  • henrymrhenrymr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 dodge dakota with the #198 of 206 Re: crazy dash problems [clif44] by ckachurch. Are there, or, were there any solutions to the problem?
  • ckachurchckachurch Member Posts: 4
    Crazy as this sounds. I have had no further problems. I think it is a ground, dont know where. ???
  • jsmalljsmall Member Posts: 2
  • seaneratorseanerator Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2004 Dakota detailed, and I'm afraid the morons got water down in the dash and caused a short. I have all dash lights EXCEPT gauge lights, and tag lights are also out. All other lights work. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
  • gizmo010101gizmo010101 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 dakota sport reg cab 4cyl 5 spd. The problem I am having is that the fuse that controls the dome light and radio keeps blowing. The light was out so I replace the bulb. It still didn't work so I checked and the fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and it worked for about a minute and then it blew the fuse. I did this two more times and gave up. :mad: :cry: I haven't changed the radio or bulb since then to cause anything to happen. The radio is an aftermarket Kenwood but it has been in for awhile. I thought the light maybe had a short in it so I unplugged it and put in a new fuse and the radio worked for a minute and it blew. Now when I put a new fuse in, it blows when it touches the contacts. It is the 5 amp in the box under the hood. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated!!
  • ckachurchckachurch Member Posts: 4
    You have a conductor going to ground. AKA a short. it is inthe wire going to the dome light. The wire rubs wherever the wire bundle goes around a tight turn. I have pulled apart my interior to chase that problem. The Dodge Dakota, you got to love them. I think that they were all built on a Friday
    I did just pull out the headliner to re-upholster it. Maybe I pinched something when I re-installed it? I'll have to pull it out again to check it out. Thanks!
    The problem isn't the dome light. At least I don't think it is. I took the radio out and replaced the fuse and everything worked. When I move the radio around and play with the wires, it blows the fuse. If the radio itself touches and metal, it blows the fuse. The metal braided ground wire is connected to the ground on the radio. It just lays behind the radio. Should it be fastened to a metal bracket or something? It wasn't before and worked fine. Could there be a short in the wiring in the radio? Would a new radio fix the problem? After hours in the garage and many times of thinking I fixed it, I am ready to drive the stupid thing off a cliff. Please help!!!!!!
  • 01dak01dak Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 4.7L Dakota. After I start it, and take off, it will start dinging. It is the same noise as when I turn it on and it dings a few times. Some days it only happens once, some days it happens every 15 seconds. I checked for codes and nothing comes up. No dummy lights are on in the dash. Any ideas as to what it might be?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Windshied squirter fluid being low may ding at random times.
  • andy55andy55 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2003 Dakota 4wd club cab STX . Recently, when you open the door to get in, the dome light strobes or flickers with a constant frequency. If you then put the key in the ignition(not "on" or "accy") and open the door the key warning sounds with the same freq. as the dome light blinks. If you turn the key to"on "or "accy" or start the truck, the dome light and key warning chime goes back to normal. I put in a new battery and this did not help. The (original) battery was getting weak and went dead from a few days of sitting. The only reason i bring up the battery is when I hooked up the new one I was in a very quiet place and as I touched the positive cable to the terminal to push it on and tighten I had a slight arc and I heard a very faint buzzing, which was the same frequency as the light blinks and key warning chime sounds when it is acting up. Sorry for being long winded but I was trying to include everything I could. Thanks Andy
  • sborovatzsborovatz Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem as you with my 99 Dokata trun signals. Did you ever find where the relay was located? I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Steve
  • andy55andy55 Member Posts: 2
    No but if i figure it out I will post.
    Well, I added washer fluid. And it was fairly low. Everything was fine for a couple of days, until I was on my way to work today. There seems to be no pattern or consistency at all. Any other advice?
  • 66gt66gt Member Posts: 5
    This sounds a lot like the initial symptoms of my '99 3.6L.
    Mine would ding but no lights would come on. It progressevly got worse until the bing was accompanied by the "check guages" light coming on. I would check guages and they were all reading fine....light would only stay on for a few second and go out. After a few weeks of this the light started staying on longer..I'g check the guages which all read fine for a few seconds, but would then move to their highest mark..except the amps guage show a serious discharge. After a few moments of this the "Check guages" light would go out and all would be fine. All this was completely random it might start as soon as I started the truck and continue until a shut it off or not occur at all or a mix of once to rapid succession to nothing at all. Eventually the ABS and/or the Airbag light would also come on. I also determined that during these "events" voltage output increased to 16.5v. I ended up taking it to a small town dealer...it never acted up..not once for them..and they were using it to run errands around the town. After 6 weeks it finally happened to them..they determined that the computer was bad. I sent the computer to be remanufactured....returned computer worked for 1 day then problem returns. I took the truck to the big town dealer figuring they had more volume and more experience...I explained the problem...three weeks later they said that the connector for the guage cluster was shorted and that was causing the problem. $625 and two hours later it was back at the dealer. Seven months later..they didn't know what was wrong, but I don't get my money back because they fixed the connector...I have the old one and it is not shorted. SO...what was the fix? I sold it to a friend who just needed something to run around his property. He took it to a small repair shop in a really small town...after one day he said computer..which has fixed the problem.
    If your problem gets worse and starts showing similar symptoms...your computer may be bad.
    Keep in mind the voltage output is controled by the computer....in my case the voltage increase was causing all thge problems.
    Another possible fix would be a fresh coat of fire.
    Thanks, I will watch for any other problems. As of this point te check engine light came on once, but I believe it was due to the gas cap not being on tight. I reset the computer and it was fine. No other lights have come on, so I really have no indication of what is happening.
  • cnjjohncnjjohn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Dakota quad cab with 14,700 miles. I was having problems with the turn signals, initially while engaging the left turn signal. The problem doesn't happen all the time, it is very sporatic. I would engage the left turn signal and it would blink normally. After a few seconds it would stop blinking and stay lit, then start to blink real slow. The problem would happen if I was stopped waiting to turn left and sometimes while slowing to make a left turn. While driving slowly I noticed the engine seemed to want to stall so I would have to tramp on the gas, the the blinking would go back to normal.

I had the dealer look at it since it is under warranty. They had the vehical 2 days and said they tried to replace some parts and when they did the vehical wouldn't start at all. They had to call detroit tech for assistance. They replaced the original parts and returned the car to me while waiting for parts. They recently installed a module immobilizer. For the first day after I had the car back I didn't experience any problems. The second day the problem started again but worse. I was waiting to make a left turn, had the left turn signal engaged and noticed that the right blinker on the dash was the only signal blinking. I turned the signal off and then on again and it started blinking on the left site. The entire drive home, any time I enganged the left signal the intial problem I had just about every time I engaged the left turn signal.

I didi some research on-line and found 1 recall that affected some vehicals. The recall was labeled VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:SWITCH/WIRING.
    ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, A STATIC ELECTRICITY SPARK BETWEEN THE OPERATOR AND THE VEHICLE CAN CAUSE THE TURN SIGNAL, HEADLAMPS OR WINDSHIELD WIPERS TO MALFUNCTION WITHOUT WARNING.
    I'm going back to the dealer with this information since I never received a recall and my vehical falls with the time period it was manufactured.

Has anyone else experienced the same or similar problem and have any information on your outcome. Was the issue identified and corrected? Any other suggestions?
  • nator92nator92 Member Posts: 3
    90 Dakota 4wd; Lights all function properly until I turn on parking lights or headlights. Everything is fine when parking/head lights are on until I operate the turn signals at which all lights go out except for the headlights themselves. I replaced the headlight switchand checked grounds (unless I missed something). I am at a loss of what to check next. Can anyone help?
  • jisco1jisco1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello and Help please,
    I have an 01 Dakota QC 4WD with 4.7.
    I bought it 5 mos. ago and since then the dealer replaced the CTM at no cost but I'm having the same problem.
    When I am out on the highway with & without cruise set I get a noise which sounds like an alarm or something. It varies in tone and is intermittant. Also it seems to be at higher speed/ RPM or if I'm poking on a county road and kick it down I'll get this noise. Can anyone give me any ideas on what's going on please?
    By the way it made this noise with the old CTM also.
    Thanks for your time,

Jisco
  • duhkoda55duhkoda55 Member Posts: 2
    I think I can help with your problem man I have a 94 2wd and they have the same wiring for the headlights and blinkers. Try to check out if there is a wire that is bare or a split wire that is touching to metal or a ground if there is replace that wire and that should fix your problem.
    Thanks for the offer. You were right, I found a bad wire between the driver side rear tail-light and the plug in connector under the bed. I took the section from my parts truck and now I am back in business. Thank God for these forums, they are great help and support.
  • twiztedtwizted Member Posts: 9
    Hi folks, first time posting. Bought this truck cheap, but now I'm having issue with it discharging, oddly.

I thought it was the alternator, because when I pulled the alternator the engine died. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have a friend in a yard who got me a replacement alt benchtested to work, same problem.

I'm thinking a short somewhere in the system.

This started out as the Check Engine light coming on, then it became where it would run without power, or at least without power showing on the gages, and I got in the habit of parking on an incline, just in case. It seems to still operate, but I am concerned about the amp gauge.

Suggestions welcome! It's my only driver, thank god I live close enough to work to walk (4 blocks) but I need a vehicle.

Replies appreciated.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Well, if you disconnected the alternator and the engine quit, I'd start suspecting a bad battery. If the battery was producing at least10.5 volts or so, the engine should still be running. Actually, if seen engines run on lower voltage battery voltage than that.

As far as the possibility of an unnatural drain, you need to measure the current flow (in series with the battery) when the ignition is off. Because there are some electrical circuits activated at all times (ie: computer, electronic clock, radio memory, etc.), there will be a slight but measurable current drain when the ignition switch is in the off position. Mopar computers draw about 10 to 20 milliamperes. I can't remember off hand what the clock draws, but anything over 100 milliamps should be suspect.

Good luck.
    Dusty
    I think you might be right about the battery. It's only running about 8-9 V, but it's RUNNING. Go figure.

What I don't understand, though, is why I would get an engine cutoff from disconnecting a running engine from the battery. Isn't the alternator supposed to be able to maintain the engine running, without the loop of the battery? I thought the litmus test for an alternator was to pop the battery cable, and see if it killed the engine?

/doing it wrong, apparently.

Advice welcome and DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!!
    On a modern engine with electronic fuel injection,electric fuel pump,electronic-shifted automatic Xmissin and onboard computer(s) controlling it all... it is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA to dicsonnect battery while engine is running. The resultant voltage spike could cause irreversable harm to the electrical system. Disconnecting the battery with engine running could cause instant self-destruction of the alternator-control circuits.

I am formally trained in electronics and could design an automobile electrical system, From that perspective, I can tell you that a known-good battery must be connected because it is an intrinsic part of the overall electrical system. Without a battery in the circuit, the alternator could cause spikes over 20 volts. Dont forget that not only does the ENGINE have a computer .... the automatc Xmission also has its own computer. The entire dashboard is fed with a 'databuss' and is-itself a client computer. The CTM (Central Timer Module) is also a client computer in the electrical system.

The damage to the onbaord computer(s) may not be redally apparent. You may encounter all kinds of electircal issues in the future.

Specific to Dodge Dakota, It is a KNOWN FACT that a weak battery can cause all kinds of problems such as erratic idle, odd shifting, intermittant-wiper strangeness...etc.
    To properly troubleshoot a discharging battery - With engine OFF, use ammeter and pull fuses to isolate the problem-circuit. Once you locate the circuit, it is usually trival to isolate the problem and resolve it.
    Bpeebles is correct. Switch in or out of the battery or alternator could produce spikes that can cause damage to some electrical components.

However, if you disconnected the alternator and the engine couldn't run on the battery, you do not have enough battery current to sustain the engine. The engine should run on a fully charged battery without a charging circuit. In my experience things get iffy around 10.0 volts, but I've seen some run on a battery with as little as 9.5 volts at terminal, at load.

If you're measuring around 8.0 volts no load your battery is way under charged. More likely, however, the battery has had it especially if its a factory unit. The batteries in the 2000-2002's were notable for producing weird symptoms.

I had a friend who's Dakota windshield wipers would make an occasional one-pulse swipe and then stop on the glass without going to their parked position until the ignition switch was switch off, then back on. This problem puzzled he and I and the dealer for 4 months. It was after he told me that he had to reset the clock a few times that I suspected the battery. Then one day it wouldn't take a charge. He limped home thinking he lost the alternator or computer, but after replacing the battery all was well. The wiper problem has never returned.

If you've got the factory battery in that 2002, it might just be a good idea to replace it anyways.

Bests,
    Dusty
    Actually, I have thought of the battery, but the circumstance which causes it to discharge is so... spotty. I have a short drive to a family member's home, about 2 miles, and I can drive that back and forth without issue. It's when it runs for more than 5 minutes I lose battery power, and end up limping to wherever I'm going and just pointing it downhill, not always possible.

I will probably try bpeebles strategy, too, and isolate out the problem circuit. My more immediate concern was that I had a fresh battery in it, borrowed from a buddy's truck, and I pulled the cable lead for the battery on a NEW alternator, and it still died. I'm frankly open to suggestions on why this might be. Is it because the circuit is broken, and the alternator cannot complete the charge-through of the engine to sustain combustion?

Not as bright about this engine stuff as I'd like to be.
    twizted said: I pulled the cable lead for the battery on a NEW alternator, and it still died. I'm frankly open to suggestions on why this might be.

Again - The battery MUST be in the circuit for things to work. Dont forget... the voltage-regulator is IN THE COMPUTER. (not in the alternator like other vehicles)

Do not concern yourself any longer with what happened when you disconnected the battery with engine running... it was an invalid test. (Lets just hope you did not damage somthing in the electrical system)

An easy way to test your alternator while is to go to WallyMart and pick up a digital voltmeter which plugs into the ciggerette-lighter socket. It is a pretty slick little tool to have in your toolbox. Anything less than 13 volts with engine running should be considerd suspect.
    Noted. I'll pick one up when I grab the battery, prolly also from wallyworld.

And you're right, I should have thought of that, Dodge being the electro-centric system it is, that the issue would not be tested from that, but it's... been a long time since I owned one. Over a dozen years.
  • dusty9dusty9 Member Posts: 4
    My 88 Dakota at times will not start. I can drive it someplace, shut it off and it may or may not restart. After a period of time (days or hours) it will start. I had it towed to a mechanic and when it got there it started. They couldn't do anything to make it not start. When I got it home it wouldn't start. Later in the week it started. It turns over fine and runs great when it is running.
    More details please....when it does not start:
    *) does the starter crank the engine?
    *)if so, does the engine fire at all?
    *)Can you smell raw gasoline at the tailpipe?
  • harrideharride Member Posts: 2
    I have a 91 2wd 5sp with the same issue. I have had some one read the check engine light and its telling me that the field circuit in the charging system is open. I have replaced the battery and had the alternator tested many times. it is problem that does not show up all the time. I know when the system has stopped charging because the check engine light comes on and the voltage drops. I have measured the field voltage when the system is and is not working. when it is working I am getting around 12.5 volts and at the battery I get 13.6 to 13.9 volts. when it quits working I have no field voltage to tell the alternator to charge. I have tried wiring up an external voltage regulator and that has not worked because I have no field voltage. I have traced all the wires to and from the fuse box looking for an open some where but can not find it. I do not think it is a voltage regulator I believe it is wiring but all the diagrams i have do not cover my truck correctly or completely so I am having a had time finding the issue. has anyone found a fix for this yet like a bad relay or a switch that goes out or what I am lost.
    You may be missing the point here.... the output of the alternator is REGULATED by adjusting the field-voltage. (a small current in the field circuit can regulate 80+ amps out of the alternator.) There should NEVER be a voltage-regulator on the OUTPUT of the alternator.

You could almost think of the alternator as an AMPLIFIER. Small signal in = large signal out. (As long as it is spun by the engine because that is where the power is coming from!)

With that said, you need to figure out where the voltage-regulator is on your 1995 Dak. On my 2000 Dak, the voltage-regulator is INSIDE the engine-computer. Lets hope you have an external regulator. 8-)

Once you know where the voltage-regulator is, it should be trival to determine where the problem is.

HINT: Many problems such as the one you describe will be traced to a poor ground connection. You may do well to simply disconnect the battery and fix EVERY ground connection you can find on your truck. Pay close attention to engine-to-frame, battery-to-frame and computer-ground connections.

By the word "fix" -- I mean:
    1) Remove any screw/bolt holding it down.
    2) use fine sandpaper, wirebrush, whatever to clean all contact surfaces.
    3) Consider soldering all wires to the ground-connectors.
    4)Make certain connection is clean and snugg
    Cranks fine.
    Doesn't fire.
    No gasoline odor.
    You know, I'm going to try that next. Here's a recap of my weekend so far:
    We had talked about replacing the battery, and I did that. Still the same problem, HOWEVER:
    I also, with a fully charged battery, pulled EVERY fuse, inside and out (one in the engine compartment, one under the driver side dash) and checked with a voltmeter if there was a short. NOTHING. Now, I have two batteries I keep fully charged. One to get me where I'm going, and maybe, just maybe, it will not discharge. The other is for the return trip.

You know, another issue that seems to be a part of it, and maybe I need an outside view, is that it seems to run fine until it heats up, then it has problems. it also doesn't like water, or moisture, and ran like hell when the Ike Rain came through here. I know that's just a distributor thing, and I'll address that when I get the other bugs done. Going to do a new distributor, plugs, wires, Dcap. One thing at a time, unless this could be the issue? It HAS to be somewhere in the power transfer through the engine, but... where? Computer?

Given the statements you've made above, I think that's the best possible solution, to check every ground, because it increasingly IS starting to sound like a grounding problem.

I don't have a diagnostic plug on my 95 Dak, but it has the "rev to 2500 RPM, cycle gears, off on off on and count the 'check engine' blinks" internal diagnostic, but I can't find the code that it does. I believe it is the elusive Code 37, which doesn't make sense for the symptoms I'm experiencing. It's either the "Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed" or for 1995 onward "Trans temperature sensor voltage low" which I've been told "This may cause the low (no) voltage indication".

Frankly, I think I'm going to take your advise, and spend a LONG morning/afternoon pulling grounds and getting them sanded, then soldering them on, for good measure. Any idea where I can find a listing, or even better, a diagram, of all the grounds that are SUPPOSED to be in an 1995 Dakota 2WD 5sp engine, 4 cyl?

Like to do this Sunday, probably.
    Since you are not smelling any raw gasoline at the tailpipe... I would have to suggest that your FUEL SYSTEM is not injecting fuel. The fuel-pump inside the gastank is KNOWN to cause funky running symptoms when it starts to die. The only real way to test the fuelpump is with a pressure-guage WHILE the problem is happening.

BTW: If you had told me that you WERE smelling gasoline at the tailpipe... that would have suggested an IGNITION SYSTEM issue.
    To answer your question : "Any idea where I can find a listing, or even better, a diagram, of all the grounds that are SUPPOSED to be in an 1995 Dakota 2WD 5sp engine, 4 cyl? "

The factory shop manual has detailed drawings showing every ground (chassis) connection on your Dakota. Most of the connections under the hood are easy enough to locate. There is a ground-connection on both sides of the dashboard (near the floor) Lucally, the connections on the interier do not tend to corrode like the ones under the hood.
    I can hear the short slight hum fuel pump when I first turn the key also when it quits there is no hesitation or stuttering. The engine just makes a clean stop.
    Your symptom description sounds like you're losing current to the fuel pump at the same time you lose power to the ignition and/or fuel injector.

Could be an intermittent ignition switch or a bad electrical connection at the computer.

Regards,
    Dusty
    I am having the same problem. First, does it happen in the mornings or different hours of the day? Mine is in the morning (when dew is present) so I am suspecting condensation in the distributor cap causing the rotor to fail. Other things to check are the fuel filter (easy to replace and resonable price). Next I would pull my fuel lines from the throttlebody and verify a good flow from the tank. If that is weak, you screen at the fuel pump could be dirty/clogged. I found out the hard way that it is easier to remove the bed from the frame (8 bolts) than to drop the tank to check the fuel pump. I also ran some injector cleaner in the tank. Also, make sure that your air intake (from the front grill) is clear and your air filter is clean. Hope this helps.
    Update: I did as you suggested, and took every ground wire and not only cleaned the wire connecter off, but I also cleaned where it WOULD connect to the chassis, and...
    TA DA. The problem of the draining battery went away! I still, once in a great while, get the check engine light, but it's only on for a few seconds or maybe a minute or so, then goes out.

Oh, and it doesn't like it when it's damp, either. Rain I can deal with, but when it rains for days and days, it gets... cranky. Stutters, probably need to replace the distributor and wires/plugs.

That'll go on the list, for when I have $$ to do it.

Thanks for all the help though!!! My main problem fixed!
    You are very welcome twizted.

The ignition wires on a 1995 vehicle have outlived their usfulness and "dont owe you nothin". I am not surprised that you are experiencing rough running in damp weathther.

Here is a tip to help isolate that problem. WIth engine idling, use a spritzer-bottle (old windex bottle) to lightly spray water on the ignition wires and dist. cap... when the engine starts to falter, you have found the problem.

With a healthy ignition, you should be able to hose down the wires and the engine never misses a beat. (dont try this because cold water on a hot engine/exhaust can crack the metal!)

Somtimes, when one is on a budget... you can remove the cap/wires and wash them in a tub of hot, soapy water. Use a toothbrush in the nooks-n-crannies. Rince well. After drying thoroughly, reinstall using some silicone grease on the rubber seals on the cap. (on wire ends) You may find it runs better in damp weather.

This sometimes works because a layer of crud on the cap/wires acts to attract moisture and can bleed-off the high-tension voltage.
  • rdogncrdognc Member Posts: 1
    Out of the blue my horn starting "beeping" intermittently when engine on. Then remote key fob quit. Then when raining I turned on the lights and the relay in the fuse box began to chatter and the instrument lights flickered. I noticed my trailer connection was wet and dried it, and the light and horn problem stopped for awhile.
    Now, going out in wet weather, the problem started again. The fob is still dead (new batts). Any clues?? Thanks rdognc
    I correct, I think I have further isolated the problem, and will work on it. SPecifically, I've taken to having two fully charged batteries with me, one for the trip TO someplace, and if I can't find a hill to park on, the trip BACK. I did notice, however, that the problem of the battery draining occurs now when I use the lights, and with nothing else drawing power. I have to NOW check every line leading to the lights, to isolate the problem, because I feel that it is indicative of a short in the lighting system.

Any specific thoughts on where I should look?

I will also consider the budget fix for the plugs and distributor, but I can actually replace those on Wednesday. Any other problems I might want to be concerned about for the upcoming winter? Things old Dodges are known to do in the winter?

I was going to invest in a plug-in style oilpan warmer, just for [non-permissible content removed] and giggles. Can't hurt, and a buddy has one for $10. Cheap, in my book.

Any thoughts? By the way, you have been a wealth of knowledge, and I want to express my gratitude and thanks for all you have suggested. it's been immensely helpful.
    my suggestion in append #235 still applies here. The digital meter from WallyMart which plugs into the cigarette-lighter socket runs about $12. With it, you should be able to make some determinations about your charging system. (both with lights "off" and "on")

In reguards to your question about an oil-pan warmer... I would not mess with it. It may warm up the oil a bit, but the oil instantly gets cold again once you start the engine and it is pumped into the stone-cold steel of the engine-block.

If you really NEED an engine-heater, consider a frost-plug heater which actually heats up the antifreeze within the engine. (I have one on my Dak)

Also, unless you can afford significant jump in your electric-bill, any engine-heater needs to be controled with a timer. (dont just leave it plugged in all night)
    Noted! Yes, I have a timer, I use it for plants during the day with their growth light. (I like palms, not anything more... exotic)

I will pick up the plug from wallymart tomorrow to check the running gauge, lights/accessories on/off. If I can isolate it to one accessory, I'll then have to figure out where in the line the short is, correct? It's been my experience that this is usually at a connection, or at a harness location, or someplace where the line does a turn or a rub on something. Anything else I should look for? Anything specific I should avoid?

Like I said, tested with a voltmeter, all the fuse runs work FINE, it's just a very intermittent problem and that's the frustrating thing. I'm half-tempted to just sell the damn thing, I got an offer for $500 more than I paid for it. Maybe I should just cut and run, if I can find a replacement vehicle?

I took another chance on Dodges because I wanted a manual, and it was the right size. Maybe now's the time to take a step back and try something else.
  • crboltecrbolte Member Posts: 1
    Hey... I have the same problem but after 2.5 hours of trouble shooting, I traced it to the culprit. If you take the steering column apart, look for a module that is mounted to the left side of the steering column, next to the signal lever/switch. The module will most likely have the name Valeo stamped into the side of it. This, I believe, is called the ignition switch module. Inside the switch module, there is a nylon or plastic dial that pushes contacts together inside when the key is turned in the ignition. You can actually pull this module off and simulate the key turning through all it's ranges. The purpose of the module is to provide electrical contact connections to the radio or dash or what have you when the key is turned. What I found is happening is that when there is ANY kind of pressure put on the assembly between the portion that slides into the rest of the ignition assembly and the body, the 2 contacts that are responsible for the radio/signal power are pulled apart enough to cut the power to the radio/signal lights. The wires associated to that connection are the red (16 AWG) wire which supplies +12VDC and the BLK/WHT (20 AWG) wire. I have not been able to resolve this yet as it appears to be a wear & tear problem. When plastic/nylon rubs against metallic parts over a period of almost 8 years, this is bound to happen. I have a feeling that I will need to replace the component. I have no idea what this is going to cost. Other than that, I figure I saved myself about 3 or 4 hours of mechanical labor. Next step is to price out the new component. If I could post pics, I would. Cheers! :)
  • docvdocv Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my '05. Where is the switch ?

thanks
    mark