Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• i have a 2000 dakota and i have replaced a lot trying to figure it out. My problem is it wont start all it does is clicks for a second and stops and clicks and stops. cam amyone help me out here
  • I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota. For some time I have experienced a problem when the headlights are on and I turn the wiper control on the multifunction switch to the 3rd and 4th position. The headlights work OK when the wiper switch is at other positions. I've read that the multifuntion switch may be causing the problem but I don't understand how the headlight switch and wiper controls are related. Can anyone help before I experiment replacing the multifunction control switch.
  • i have a 1996 dodge dakota sport v6 magnum engine. my dash electrical system is having trouble the dash lights go out sometimes with a buzzing sound that is constant along with the gauges all pin unless you turn the dimmer all the way down and the sound goes away and the gauges go back to normal . the radio works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't or the light in the radio area don't work but the rest do ??? is this a ground wire problem ? sometimes it does it every day and goes away for a couple of days and comes back out of the blue. or the radio doesn't work for days and just comes on from no where as you drive .
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Bad ground connection could cause your problems. The return current for lights, that come through the dimmer, may be finding a sneak path through the gauges.
  • jbrunnerjbrunner Posts: 3
    I see that no one replied to your post, I am having the same problem, did you figure out what the problem was?
    I feel too that it is a short somewhere. When I turn the light switch on, the abs,brake dash lights come on, when I push the switch off, I can hear a click coming from the cowl about in the middle of it. I guess the next step is to remove the cowl and see if I can locate it. Thanks for the reply.
    seeing as no one gave an answer, I went and had it fixed. It turned out to be bad corrosion in the bulkhead connector. Find out that this is fairly common as moisture collects in there. Look there first for your short.
  • sdpopssdpops Posts: 4
    I should clarify my problem. When the headlights are ON and I set the wiper switch to the third or fourth position, the headlights get turned OFF by themselves. The headlights work OK when the wiper switch is at other positions. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Almost definitely the stalk/switch. The reason it affects your headlights is because the switch is also the high beam dimmer and flash-to-pass toggle.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Thanks for the info kcram. Can you tell me where the stalk/switch is located. Is it the multifunction switch in the steering column?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Stalk = multifunction witch. Different names for the same thing.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• netpicker2000netpicker2000 Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Low beams do not come on. Nor will the high beams unless I hold the turn signal. Checked fuses and all in working order. When I activate high beams my lower driving lights go out. I think it is in the relay however, don't know where to look. Any feedback appreciated.
  • jd110jd110 Posts: 3
    I had the same problem on a 2000 Dakota. You will have to replace the whole turn signal switch, it is all one unit and they go for about $50-$60.
  • Does this require dismantling the steering column?
    edited March 2010
    I had a similar problem that requires replacing the multifunction switch / stalk in the steering column (see message 416-419). Here are websites for disassembling the steering column and replacing the switch unit. Be sure to disable the airbag in the steering.
    http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-durango/83554-multifunction-switch.html
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Repair-809/2009/12/2005-dodge-dakota-multifunct- - - ion.htm
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Repair-809/2010/3/2007-Dodge-Dakota-Multi.htm
    http://www.justanswer.com/questions/4q1w-electrical-problem
    The part cost $66
    http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog-small.html?gclid=CN_buqbjw6ACFQldago- - - dJUsPbA
    type in "combo switch" for the part description.

You can buy a Chilton Manual at Auto Zone for @$25. It also has detailed instructions and is well worth the purchase price.
  • i have a 1991 1/2 dodge dakota 3.9 v-6 automatic. for the past week or two ive had the parking brake light turn on when i shift into reverse. Also, when i try to use anything to do with my cigar lighter( my blower motor is tied into this circut, not my doing, was like that when i got it). Ive checked all the fuses and everything. when disable the parking brake sensor the light still comes on when you turn something on. Really need help, got no blower
  • typhoontyphoon Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 with the 4.7. I have been having issues with the headlights on the truck. I seem to be loosing the passenger low beam. Highs work fine. I have replaced the bulb on a couple of occasions.
    When I replace the bulb it works for a while then stops . It has gone in and out intermittently . Any Ideas?
    I thought it was the socket connection .. I cleaned and expanded the socket terminals and it still happens.
    Thanks Dan
  • shadow37shadow37 Posts: 1
    tailight parking lights dont work new fuses ,new bulbs is there a relay or something else to check
  • talcol1talcol1 Posts: 2
    My 97 Dodge dakota 4X4 has a chraging problem. I have had the battery checked the altenator checked. The repair shop told me it was the PCM. Today I changed the PCM and it started to charge at about 13.57 volts. After driving it I came home and it is now back to the old 11.87 volts and declining. Seems like the PCM was working and now quit. any ideas why?