Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• nolatnolat Member Posts: 1
    i have a good amount of automotive knowledge and this problem has me stumped can anyone help? heres the delema. i have a 1997 dodge dakota v6 3.9L 4x4. recently i noticed my battery gauge dropping when i drove. a few days after i noticed this my truck needed a jump very fequently. i figured it was a bad alternator as this exact thing happened on previous car. i tested the alternator and it came up good. the old battery was still good and would hold a charge on a load tester, but just for a try i replaced the battery with a brand new one with higher cranking amps and its still doing the same exact thing. whenever i start the car with no lights, radio, or heat the battery will get 14v. the minute i attempt to drive it, turn my lights on, turn my heat on, or turn my radio on it drops to just above 8v, and when i trun it off its completely dead and wont even crank. any ideas? id love to hear some feed back as i am without a vehicle. thanks for your time!
  • retirednavydanretirednavydan Member Posts: 1
    Same problem but what fusses where blown and any idea how to fix and at what cost? In need of my truck for work. Any help out there?
  • duckeriiduckerii Member Posts: 4
    You should really check the big connector in the steering column, maybe even tilt if you can, to see if anything happens. My truck had all sorts of crazy light action going on...But i am super glad i didn't waste a couple hundred on a ctm switch. my big connector was melted out, but with a little patience and a mirror i was able to fix the problem with cheap generic wire connectors.
  • frug4frug4 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the headlights on my 2000 Dakota and now my right front turn signal flashes at twice the speed. I tried wiggling the harness to see if there is a short, but no improvement. Do I need to replace a flasher?
    Thanks,
    PDF
  • bartuzzibartuzzi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dakota with a 5.2 engine. About 3 months ago when our cold weather first started (it went from about 10 above to 10 below, overnight) my left rear turn signal stopped working. I replaced the bulb shortly afterwards but found that the old bulb was still good, and the new bulb still doesn't work. Not long after that I started to notice some other slightly erratic behavior - the headlights and dash would start flickering lightly (not shutting off completely, just dimming and brightening very rapidly, but enough to notice). I also noticed the truck electrical cut out a couple times, for no reason, but usually when I stopped.

The battery is a few years old, and was just tested to have about 370 cranking amps, but I haven't had much problem starting it this winter. Last night I went to start my truck to go to work and found my battery almost dead, for no reason. I hadn't left any lights on, nor was the temperature really that bad, maybe about -3. Then about halfway to work, the entire electrical system cut out (while I was driving, not stopped). Lights, ignition, and radio all cut right out, like someone rapidly disconnected the battery then reconnected it again. The truck started again right away, and ran fine the rest of the way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • zzismezzisme Member Posts: 3
    I had that problem with my 2001 Dakota until it got so bad the lights would flicker like a strobe light! I had to replace the BCM and it cost me $700. When I got it replaced, the windows, door locks, fuel gauge, headlights, everything worked great!

This is the pickup from hell... I can't get it smogged cause of random misfire codes and some stupid transmission code. (even after replacing the BCM) I've had so many "sensors" and Modules replaced, I'm at the end of my rope. I love my pickup, but I can't drive it.

Good Luck, I wouldn't wish a pickup like this one on my worst enemy.
  • chronic09420chronic09420 Member Posts: 1
    the gauges in my 96 dakota work just they seem to jump around a lot and my light for the right turn signal is always on in my dash also while sitting idle my rpm gauge like to jump up and down to 4000rpm or while im driving i will be doing 40 but it tell me im doing 110mph all my lights and signals work fine but it gets annoying when your gas gauge lies to you. is it just a loose ground? or how can i fix this?
  • rose37rose37 Member Posts: 2
  • rose37rose37 Member Posts: 2
    Over the last few weeks the door locks click like someones pushing the button, it does it constantly while the truck is parked. Last night it started starting on it's own, it has command start. We stopped it but 10 minutes later it was running again, ran for 15 minutes then shut down, 20 minutes later it started up again and after 15 minutes shut down. This went on a few times before we finally disconnected the battery.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
  • hurricane6hurricane6 Member Posts: 2
    can someone please let me know what the fix it
  • hurricane6hurricane6 Member Posts: 2
    ok i bought this truck from my sisters friend she wanted to get a 4cyc car and get rd of the v8 first mistake buying the truck second was keeping it third was driving it the radio was not working right (aftermarket) kept losing the screen i though it was from her brother punching it but now i wonder the other day my service 4x4 light came on i scanned it and nothing came up the cargo lamp would also not shut off and the interior i pulled the fuse and let the truck sit a few days and started it the 4x4 light went off so i pluged the fuse back in now i have no head lights no dash iner or parking besides the truck being a pain in my rear dose anyone know the fix to it i changed the headlight switch we have power to the fuse but not to the headlight switch plug please help i need my truck on the road asap please find me on facebook name henry trapp look for the black dodge dakota plowing snow
  • rislandrisland Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have A 2000 dakota RT this morning i went to start and it cranked but did not start i tried again and got nothing, no crank no power. My dash indicators went out and nothing worked. i tried starting again and nothing. i put the car in gear and back to park and indicator lights came on again but went out upon start attempt. I disconnected the battery ond it seemed to be fully charged. reconnected with the same result. i will occaionally get a fast clicking sound but no hint of cranking. when i turn the key to the on position i lose all power no lights horn etc. with the key in the off position i get dome lights. horn or flashers get a fast clicking but do not work. i am at a lose and hope you can help. the truck has not had any trouble starting and has run great.
  • moparman43moparman43 Member Posts: 1
    Dusty, i kinda got the same problem he was having w/ his, mine is 96 dakota, 3.9 5 speed 2 wheel drive w/ 225,000 miles on her. and i pull my head light switch out, no head lights no driving lights no dash lights no tail lights and my abs and brake light come on and also my tach freezes. shut the switch off, tach comes back, abs and brake light go off. ok well press the brake pedal in, once again, abs and brake light come on, but no brake lights and tach jumps. depress brake pedal, abs and brake light goes off. been told to check grounds, any good ideas ??
  • poorboy4poorboy4 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 92 with same prob tring to get ansers to i wired around starter relay but now need ac
  • goheensdakotagoheensdakota Member Posts: 3
    alright so heres the big problem 03 dodge dakota sport 2wd automatic trans mission with 3.9 v6 engine throws a rod i got a 5.9 magnum to drop in it because i was told the transmission would bolt up well they didnt so i looked around for a running 3.9 i found one a year later engine ran strong in the 94 dakota now theres a really big problem all the wiring is different and i no longer have the original engine to switch the parts over so any ideas.
    :sick:
    all help is help so ideas would be wonderful
    i dont know if you have fixed the problem or not but disconnect your battery terminals for at least 30 secs to a min to make sure theres no power to the computer that way it resets and this may fix your problem
    we had this same problem in a 90 buick lesaber it turned out the the starter was bad you might look into that
  • fqeladydifqeladydi Member Posts: 1
    What is the BCM and where did you have it done. I've got a similar "strobe" issue now. My local mechanic has tried everything but isn't familiar with the BCM. Is it some kind of sensor & where is it located. I've got a 97 Dakota. Started having "electrical issues" 3 years ago.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
  • zzismezzisme Member Posts: 3
    The BCM is a Body Control Module. I had it replaced by my mechanic. I don't know where it's located on the vehicle.. but I am sure that's what makes the lights blink.. (and soon the windows won't work, door locks, etc.) Good luck!
  • lee132lee132 Member Posts: 1
    My rear right blinker ,break light,4 weel drive switch dont work and my power doors lock and unlock on their own and my windsheild wipers come on when I start up my truck and wont turn off i checked all the fuses and that does not seem to be the problem any suggestions
  • carvermancarverman Member Posts: 101
    Sounds like you have a problem in the multi-function switch on the steering
    column stalk if the right rear blinker doesn't work and the wipers come on
    by themselves.

Which brake light are you talking about? The high mount brake lamp or
    the actual rear lamps when the brake pedal is applied?

Power door lock are controlled by the CTM (Central timer module) located
    under the steering column area. It is also responsible for the windshield
    wiper delay function.
  • dakota4x42003dakota4x42003 Member Posts: 3
    I AM having problems with my windows in my 2003 dodge dakota, I cannot roll down windows from individual switches i can only roll down from master switch(driverside),i have replaced the master switch checked connections but still cannot roll windows down from back seats or passenger seat. has anyone ever had this same problem????
  • dmented67dmented67 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2005 Dakota, and the Keyless entry, dome light, dash lights, power door locks, and headlights all stopped working at the same time. Truck starts up, runs and drives fine, no problems there, just a pain because I can only drive it during the daytime without the lights.....I think it maybe the Central Timer Module, but when I talked to the dealership they called it something else, and the cost was around $350.00

Any other thoughts?
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2003 dodge dakota 4x4 4.7l, the problem i am having is i can only roll down windows from the master switch,you cannot roll down windows from there own switch(s).I have replaced the master switch,i made sure the window lock is off . but still problem is same as before. I am lost on this one.. anyone have trouble like this?? any info would gladly appreciate.
    thx
    Brian
  • tharringtontharrington Member Posts: 1
    What could these 2 have in common? Both appear to have happened at the same time. I still have all functions in mirrors, locks, keyless entry, wipers, map lights etc. My son just installed front driveshaft but on the way to do so (rainy drive) the overhead display reportedly went out. My son did shaft the install at school and says nothing else was touched in the processl. The only thing I noticed was an abraded bundle of wires near the front driveshaft (not touching it). One other POI, occasionally, the left blinker will flash at double speed. Truck has 4.7L, 155K miles and is a 2001 quad cab.
  • chocks54chocks54 Member Posts: 1
    When I tilt my steering wheel up my ABS light comes on. If I drop it down a couple of clicks it goes out. Does anyone know the reason for this and is there any damage being done?
  • lagreeneyzlagreeneyz Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what was causing the fuse to blow? I am having the problem with my 93 Dodge Dakota. I dont think it is the after market stereo but the truck original wiring harness ?
  • mechgen1mechgen1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same prob.the abs light also comes on shortly before it dies and the idle fluctuates then starts dying and displays "no bus".On cooler days with light traffick it might go a few hundred miles with no problem.but on warm(80f or above and/or stuck in traffick)it might die half a dozen times in 10 miles.On cooler days I canwiggle the pcm connector nearest the firewall and can hear the injectors cycle and "no bus is replaced by the odometer reading.At first I thought it was loose or dirty sockets in the connector,but on hot days I have to unplug the connector and let the pcm cool for a few minutes before regaining bus.Occasionally the IAC opens up all the way setting code 303 and the abs light comes on.I'm beginning to suspect a bad solder joint in the pcm.Mine is a "99 dakota slt with a 3.9 and 5 speed.
  • papa_blowfishpapa_blowfish Member Posts: 1
    I believe the regulator on that truck is in the engine computer, not within the alternator itself.

The two solutions I know of are:
    1. Replace the ECU
    2. There is an aftermarket kit that uses the old external Chrylser regulator so you don't have to replace the computer. It looks like the wiring harness is a Mopar part, but I don't know & I don't have any part numbers.

Disclaimer: I haven't ordered from these people; I just happened to find their webpage.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/external-voltage-regulator-high-output-alternator- -kit.html

Hope this helps.
  • soldout1soldout1 Member Posts: 1
    need two trace ground wire for starter on 2001 dodge dakota. I think the ground is keeping it from starting
  • pops37pops37 Member Posts: 2
    I see this is several months old but thought I would toss in an idea anyway. 1st ck to see if the LED on the other window switch buttons goes on and off when you push the window lockout off & on at the driver door. If not then maybe your window lock out switch is broke. 2nd if the LED lights work then you have power and the lockout switch is working. next is to remove the inside door panel (4 screws) on one of the doors and disconnect the switch connector then test the connection points. let me know if you do not have the pin outs and I'll post it for you.
  • bobh1027bobh1027 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota, SLP, 4.7 L, V8. I am having an issue with the drivers side bank not firing. I have checked the coils and PCM and they are fine. I do not have any engine codes other than when I have unplugged a coil or an injector. The engine will start but run rough and unplugging a coil or injector on the drivers bank does not change it. It seems to run better at faster RPM's. Has anyone had issues like this and any answers or suggestions. :sick:
  • pops37pops37 Member Posts: 2
    Howdy, just to be sure did you also unplug coil or injector in other side and was it worse? Have you cleaned (real well) the TB(throttle body) and IAC (idle air control). There are 2 capacitors in the circuit but I am not sure where they are located. Inspect all related wiring for cut, loose or questionable ground.
    good luck
    pops
  • floyd73floyd73 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dodge dakota,and the dash lights will not dim, I replaced the light switch,removed the pos.batt. cable removed the ecm cleaned all connectors with a tooth brush and crc replaced the ecm and reconnected the batt. cable still unable to dim the dash lights, any ideas?

Floyd
  • 98dakota2wd98dakota2wd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dakota that the tail light isn't working. I've tried replacing the bulb and still nothing. When the head lights are on, the right tail light is out. When I brake, it lights up and when I turn on the signal, it blinks fast. I've changed one front turn signal bulb and changed the rear last night and it still does not work. Any help would be great...
  • tiffneytiffney Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for delay in response. New to this forum. We had the same exact issue with our 2001 dakota. Turned out we had to replace the computer. In the drivers side floorboard, there is a kick panel. If you remove the kick panel, your computer is under that. We had trouble finding one for a reasonable price. The cheapest one we could find was at www.mopar-wholesale.com for $263.09. Hope this helps.
  • karenpsanteekarenpsantee Member Posts: 6
    2002 Dodge Dakota: #1st problem: when headlights are on they intermittently flicker from low beam to high-beam then back to low-beam. Problem #2 occurred about a month later: that's when I noticed that the headlights sometimes blink off then back on. When the headlights blink off/on so do the interior lights. A few weeks later, problem #3. headlights quit working completely. The next day problem #4 occurred - power locks stopped working, as did the windshield wipers. for a short time, turn signals quit working but are okay now.
    What's going on: Is it the fuses (checked several fuses, they all seemed fine). A computer module? does my truck not like me anymore? I'm the original owner, the truck has just under 70k miles.
  • tiffneytiffney Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like the Central Timer Module (CTM). When the CTM is going out, it can affect many things, such as: interior lights, exterior lights, windshield wipers, turn signals, electric door locks, headlights, console lights, dome lights, door ajar sensor light, and can even prevent your vehicle from starting. That is just a brief list. If you have a diagnostic test ran on your vehicle, it will more than likely read fine until the CTM goes completely out. When CTM goes out, you will not be able to start or drive your vehicle. My suggestion, would be to replace the CTM. This should fix the problems you are experiencing.
    Thanks, that really helps. I will quit playing around with fuses, etc... One more question, do I have to take the truck to Dodge Dealer for a new CTM? Or can I just go to a good reputable repair shop?
  • proudmom2013proudmom2013 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Dodge Dakota......at first if i moved my steering wheel to low it would make my blinkers, radio, and head lights not work. To fix this I would have to move the steering wheel problem solved........Now my headlights, tail lights, dash lights, and insides do not work at all.....I have checked all fuses they are all still good please someone help me with how to fix my truck!!!! :cry:
    I found this post on another website site. I just tried it a few minutes ago. It helped. Power was restored to headlights, interior lights. Power was not restored to the auto door looks. That's all I checked so far. I'm just glad to have my headlights back working.
    I intend to replace the CTM, until then this was a good (if only temp) fix.
    "Often these CTM's will lock up and come back to life when power is removed from them. Remove the left sill plate, the panel at the bottom of the door opening. Then remove the left kick panel to expose the module. You will find it mounted to the sheet metal there, unplug it's three electrical connectors for a minute or two. Reconnect them and see if everything works. Most of the time the CTM will come back to life at least temporarily after this."
  • justincowboyjustincowboy Member Posts: 1
    What kind of Voltage regulator did you buy? And, if you can, could you send me the diagram? I got a external for regulator, Napa said it should work. Bought the pig tail for it. but couldn't find any clear instructions on how to make it work.
    Installed a new CTM yesterday and all of my electrical issues have been resolved. Bless you Tiffany, for your advice. I couldn't have done it without you. You really know Dodge trucks. Thank you, again! karenpsantee [Cost of repair 255.30 + 13.26 s&h. Labor cost $0, installed it myself in less than 5 minutes,not bad for a girl, huh?.]
  • deschtra1deschtra1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Door locks turned on and off while driving and parked; also intermittent wipers failed to operate(wipers operate ok except for intermittent feature); also key fobs will not operate door locks or panic button. replaced CTM module and everything worked but the key fobs(replaced all batteries in key fobs but they still will not lock opr unlock the doors0. What should I do next. Thanks
    NOTICE: I REPLACED THE CTM MODULE BUT KEY FOBS STILL DO NOT OPERATE.
    same thing happened to me. the fob needs to be re-programmed. I found instructions in owner's manual to do this, but have not yet tried to do it. My key fob is still in limbo.
  • deschtra1deschtra1 Member Posts: 2
    RE 506 from 505. Tried reprogramming key fobs-tried numerous times but doors and panic buitton still fail to operate. Any new ideas? Thanks
  • kimolisciouskimoliscious Member Posts: 1
    Congrats! What exact model do you have? Where was the module located? I'm having a hard time with my truck as well.
    I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab. The unit is located on driver's side behind; behind the kick panel on the left side of the floor area . Remove the piece of floor trim along driver side seat, then remove the adjoining kick panel. Good luck. - kp