Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Baja Engine Issues

2»

Comments

• Options
    mournlightmournlight Member Posts: 1
    There's a washer that has to be replaced every time you change the oil filter. Most places don't carry them. I buy six or so at once from the dealership and then make sure anyone changing my oil uses one. Otherwise, it will leak every time. Substitute washers don't seem to work and you can't reuse the the old one.
  • Options
    sdycus10sdycus10 Member Posts: 3
    Just an update on my '06 Baja Turbo that dies at high altitude (driving on I-70 to go skiing). Multiple Subaru engineers, techs, district managers, etc have duplicated the issue while driving my car. Everything except the engine has been replaced, but still no fix. This has gone on for 12 months. I am losing faith in Subaru.
  • Options
    BluetxBluetx Member Posts: 1
    Glad I found this forum, hope someone can offer some advice.
    Here's my problem. Bought a 2003 Subaru Baja about a month ago from a used car dealer, several hundred miles away. Of course within a week of getting my Baja home I notice a little leaking oil, so I took it to a local repair shop; no problem was located. Now it's leaking a lot more oil, so I took it to a Subaru service shop were they found 2 leaking gaskets; cost to repair: $2600.
    My question: Are head gaskets considered lubricated components? I ask because this car has a 60-day warranty which covers all lubricated components. The used car dealer refuses to reimburse me for what he calls "an oil leak"; he also became belligerent and blames me for the damage! :sick:
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sounds like a rotten dealer.

Time to lawyer up, if you ask me.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Strictly speaking, head gaskets are not lubricated components. Examples of those would be internal moving parts in the engine or drivetrain components such as U-joints, CV joints, differentials, etc. Head gaskets are merely a barrier to prevent the lubricants from going where they are not supposed to go. In this case, they failed. I suspect the previous owner sold the car for this reason, the dealer knew about it, and then sold you the car at an inflated price without disclosing the defect.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    They are seals for the engine, though, moving parts that are lubricated.

Wonder if that matters?
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    It might be up to a court of law at that point. This is a "guarantee" from the seller, nothing more. In the end, unless a customer challenges in court, the parts covered are left to the interpretation of the seller. :mad:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ellorensellorens Member Posts: 1
    2 questions 1st i have changed my oil several times and have not replaced this "special" gasket, whats up with that? and no oil leaks .2nd i just hade my emmisions done on my car it passed perfect however when i left my check engine light has come on and it will not go off, what should i do
    thanks
    ed
  • Options
    Borrow or purchase a code reader, and let us know what the error code is.
  • Options
    pkassubepkassube Member Posts: 1
    I have serviced my Baja regularly and ever since last summer there is a smell of burnt oil. Now it has started leaking. The Subaru dealer recently replaced the oil pump and the timing belt. They said the leak was from the oil pump. Now the leak is much worse and an independent garage is saying - head gasket, lifters.... $2000 - $4000!!!! From what I am reading, the Subaru dealership should have known about the possibilities and looked at this when they had it ripped apart!! :mad:
  • Options
    dmountdmount Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I want to apologize up front, if I didn't read far enough to find my answer. I have a 2003 Baja, we bought it used. After owning it for a time, it was rolled over( no one was hurt ) and considered "totaled" ( note to self, "don't let kids borrow car!") after some cosmetic work, and a little tweaking of the frame, we started driving it again. After being driven at excessive speeds,(note to self,"refer to last note to self, idiot") it began to make a very loud clattering type noise, I wasn't sure if it had a thrown rod or what, when it starts now it clatters, it will stop at times, and almost sounds like it is separate from the rhythm of the engine, if that makes any sense, could this be a rod, or maybe valves?? thanx :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.