Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja Electrical Issues

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited January 2019 in Subaru
Having an electrical gremlin in your Baja? Discuss them and work out solutions here.

Comments

• barogersbarogers Member Posts: 2
    I seem to be having a strange electrical issue in my 2005 Baja Sport. My radio reception has a lot of static on every station accept my local Public Radio Station (less than a mile away) I also noticed that if the radio is on and I turn on the headlights I get a static noise as the lights are being switched on. I get the same noise when stepping on the brake. This problem started about 3 months ago. I have checked the antenna connection behind the radio and reseated it. (no help) When a CD is played the sound is fine. Any Ideas?image
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Since you mention your public radio station, those are usually FM stations. Is the static you're hearing just on AM stations, or FM as well?

Occassionally I'll get RF interference on AM stations from ignition spark, or as you mention, lights turning on. But I've never had it on FM, CD, or even tape decks.
  • barogersbarogers Member Posts: 2
    The static is on FM. It seems as though it might be a loose connection somewhere. It also will make a static noise occasionally when the turn signal is on.
  • junkman66junkman66 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else with this interesting problem. When I first bought it, the heater cable for hot and cold was disconnected. Took it back, it was corrected. But the lights flicker outside the car only and 4 years later my radio blows out the back speakers outputs. Still never felt safer in any kind of weather.
  • priscanniepriscannie Member Posts: 2
    Have not had problems with lights flickering, but was plagued with sunroof motor problems. The pop-up feature was affected, had it attended to at a two different Subaru dealers. It would work when I left the shop and sometime thereafter would quit again. Finally they replaced the motor. Shortly after that my left front speaker quit working and I know I did not blow it out. Have not had time to take it in for the speaker and now using FM radio when I use the window washers the rear speakers give static. This is the 6th Subaru I have owned and hate to think this will be an ongoing problem. My baja is 4 1/2 years old.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I wonder if the single-point-ground mod that circulated a while back would help you? :confuse:
  • dpitt72dpitt72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Subaru Baja which upon hitting the slightest of bumps my gauges turn completely off. Then my security light comes on and I lose my turn signals. I thought that I only lost the blinker on the inside, but come to find out I lose even the outside turn signals. Then the engine light comes on but will go out usually once the car is turn off and restarted. This has been going on for almost a week now. I'm new to this site and wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Sounds like it may be a wiring harness connector that is coming loose, or perhaps you have a loose ground.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    If I were you - I would start with the grounds. (I do this to EVERY automobile I own)

As I recall, my Baja has about 7 ground-points under the hood that I cleaned-up.

This is essentually the process I use (1 ground at a time)
    1) Remove holddown screw
    2) Use dremel-tool, file, wire-brush (whatever) to clean up the eyelets.
    3) Also clean up the point on the body so it is shiny-clean
    4) Re-assemble.

Another thing I did is remove-reseat (several times) every relay in the relay-box under the hood.... again, this action cleans up the connections.

Another thing that is recommended is to clean-up the charging wire.
    1)The battery MUST be disconnected to perfrom this. (remove negative wire)
    2)locate large red wire that connects to alternator (this wire goes direct to battery +)
    3)Remove the nut holding thie wire down
    4)Clean up eyelet and connection-point
    5)reassemble... make this pretty tight
    6)Reconnect battery (connect negative wire)

This may not help your problem... but it is VERY good preventive-maintenance.

DISCLAIMER: If you are not comfortable with any of the above... do not attempt. (But I assume you would not be asking here if you were not expecting to DO something)
  • jimerwinjimerwin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Baja. A few years ago I lost my front speakers. I only listen to AM radio, so it never bothered me that much to have it looked at. Then about a year ago, I lost the rear passenger, so I was down to the rear driver only. From time to time, all speakers would work for a day or 5 minutes or somewhere in between. And from time to time my only other rear would work. The other strange thing is I noticed that my driver side window will only roll down by itself (when I tap the window open button) when the front speakers are working. When only the rear speakers were working I would have to hold the window down button the duration of opening the window.
    Anyway, today while driving to work, I lost my driver rear speaker, so now I have nothing. Radio has power. I assume it's a wiring issue. Anyone have any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks,
    Jim
    I suspect a connector or ground(or two!), given the issue with the driver window as well. Where to start? Not sure about that one...
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jwparks53jwparks53 Member Posts: 1
    I need to remove the radio from my 03 Baja. Would appreciate either instructions on how to do it or where to find the info.
    Should be like my old 02 Legacy. Similar interior.

I started at the center arm rest and worked forward.

Think I found pics on scoobymods, do a Google search for 2000-2005 Legacy stereo install, something like that.

There's no way you'll find Baja - the model was far less common.
  • subinosubino Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Just replaced the deck in my Baja. I bought the wiring harness from crutchfield, they included a handy installation guide for free on how to remove the stereo and speakers. Included photos! A real time saver. It wasn't 100%, but very close.

If you're replacing the radio, I recommend ordering the harness from them, not only was the price reasonable, you can't beat good instructions!

Recommend a good extension driver & retrieval magnet, getting to some of those screws on the mount can be challenging - especially when putting it all back together. Also need a really short phillips.

Loosing my left front speaker though, the diaphragm keeps sticking to the magnet. At least now know know how to get to it.
    Yeah, I got a stereo from them for my 93 Miata, also got the harness. Like you said, worked on the first try, despite lots of wires.
  • tcrume45tcrume45 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    I have a 2006 Baja sport. Quite happy with this Subaru but today the parking light / tail lights stay on. Only way to shut them off is to unhook the battery. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tom
    There's a large, shallow switch on the top of the steering column that will keep the parking lights on when the vehicle is shut off. You may have bumped it!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited October 2012
    That is why they are called "Parking Lights"... you turn them on when you are parked. - LOL

My Baha turbo is my first Subaru.... It may very well be the best vehicle I have ever owned. It does not get the 50+MPG like my Wifes VW TDI... but it goes anywhere I point it in the snow and mud.
  • tcrume45tcrume45 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. That was the problem. Love the site.
    I'm glad we could help you out!
  • squirrel11779squirrel11779 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2006 turbo Baja and I love it. I am having random electrical issues though, the first thing that happened was all the lights in the dash flickered and a drastic loss of power shortly after that my alternator belt broke replaced it and then my battery, e-brake and ABS light came on and the loss of power again. Took the alternator out and had it tested and its good, reinstalled it and it did not happen again for a while. About a week later after starting it I drove it less than a 1/4 mile no lights in dash no power then it died, I jumped it to try an get it home while the other car was hooked up it seemed to run smoother, soon as I disconnect it starts to run real ruff, jumped in got to my driveway and died again I could not even shift it into park had to jump it again to get in park.
    Please help me catch the electrical Gremlin so I can squeeze the life out of it.

• mystr_mikemystr_mike Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Subaru Baja. The low beams and daytime running lights have gone out. I have high beams and marker lights. I have checked all the fuses and relays (I believe I have checked them all) and have found nothing out of the ordinary. I even checked "The Battery Kill Switch" and that doesn't have any affect on them either. I'm at a loss.
  • nemma200nemma200 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Baja which up until a couple months ago, I have never had any electrical problems. Then for no obvious reason, the electrical current to the car would vanish while the car was off or when I would try to start it.
    The dash would be completely blank and I would get nothing when I tried to start it. Here is the interesting thing - if I open and close the driver's side the door once or twice, the dash would light back up and I could then start the car and the electric would be fine again until I shut off the car at which time there would be a 25% chance that it would happen again the next time I came to start the car. Any ideas?
  • audiowillaudiowill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Baja sport. I had an after market stereo and sub installed 2 years ago, and now, when I turn the vehicle off, the stereo will stay on. I have to restart the vehicle, and turn it off immediately while the stereo is powering up to get it to stay turned off. Any ideas would be great! Thanks.
  • Brenackr4Brenackr4 Member Posts: 1
    The mirrors on my 2006 Subaru Baja quit working awhile ago along with my 12V power supply (both front and backseat). Then the radio quit coming on when the car is started (I have to turn it on and off). Front passenger speaker quit maybe around the same time. Today all but the passenger back speaker quit. Help!! I looked for a short, to re my center console and door panels apart, to no avail. Any ideas?
    Thanks