Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Transmission

tabbert32tabbert32 Member Posts: 1
I OWN A 99 GRAND AM GT WITH THE 3.4L. RECENTLEY THAT MOTOR HAS FALLEN APART. NOW IVE HEARD THAT THEM THERE MOTORS ARE KNOWN FOR THAT. SO WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO PUT A 3.8L IN THERE. I KNOW THE COMPUTER STUFF IS GONNA BE DIFFERENT CAUSE OF THE DIFFERENT ENGINE BUT HOW MUCH AM I LOOKIN AT AND WHAT IS A TRUSTED PLACE TO GET THE MOTOR AT. O YEAH I NEED EVERYTHING FOR THE MOTOR. FROM THE LONG BLOCK TO ALL THE LINES AND WIRES.

Comments

• juanrjuanr Member Posts: 1
    Trying to change tranny oil...cant find plug and/or dipstick to check fill level
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    There isn't a dipstick, or a plug on the pan. You drain it by removing the pan, level check is by removing the sight level plug on the right (passengers side) on the case.
  • damngrandamdamngrandam Member Posts: 3
    Okay well i own a 99 se 2.4 L 95,000miles and i'd say for about a 1 1/2-2 yrs now i've had a slight bang with the trans shift from 1-2. Well the past couple months now it has been "banging" harder when the transmission shifts and now does this in other gears too. I think i probally need a new transmission but damn i bet thatll cost me more than $1000. Should i flush and refill the trans fluid or would that not help? i heard that changing the Trans fluid will cause more problems with the transmission if the engine is already "use to" whats it there and the new fluid might cause it to go out sooner? The engine seems like it has to try too hard if i wanna go fast... i have to accelerate like im 80 yrs old 4 it not to bang. Anyone else have transmission problems with it "Banging"? :confuse:
  • adocomputersadocomputers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 grand am GT with same problem. I drove it like that for a year before it finally died last week. You have a bad solenoid in the transmission that is not easy to get to. It will start banging harder and harder and will get worse in the summer (warmer temp's). I can't believe you have gotten a year and a half without seeing it get worse. Good luck
  • pwilliamkpwilliamk Member Posts: 21
    Are you sure it is just the selenoid. I have had this problem with my 2000 GA for about 2.5 years when it shifts from 1-2 under hard acceleration. If it is only the selenoid I am going to replace it asap.
  • markos1markos1 Member Posts: 1
    i don't know much about cars but I do know about money. I recently took my 2002 grand am and found out it had a leak in the body valve cover of te transmission. Not sure I said that right. I was told it would cost 950 dollars to repair anybody know anything else that can be done.
  • chrisherechrishere Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Grand Am GT that just slams into gear. It has about 100,000 mi on it. It started out losing power occasionaly. Like on the highway the engine would sputter every once in a while for about a week. Then, I started the car and when I shifted into drive it just slams into gear, while driving it will continue to slam through gears. No grinding or anything just wham! Reverse seems fine, only the foreward gears.

Also, when the engine is cold ( first start of the day), the transaxle will shift like normal, but only the first couple of shifts....

Also, no, I haven't been driving it since this has started.

Appreciate any ideas,
    Thanx,
    Chris
    If it's shifting hard at higher than normal rpm's then it could be a bad powertrain control module, but it's hard to say for sure.
  • mycarhatesmemycarhatesme Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Grand Am SE V6 with an automatic transmission and it won't shift out of first gear, not even manually. We checked the transmission fluid and it's fine. I've had this problem before but it just went away and now it's back. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I would appreciate any help.
    It does it at low RPM's too. Just shift from neutral to drive at idle and WHAM... it still does it.
  • mikepaulamikepaula Member Posts: 2
    My 94 Grand am has just started to be really hard to shift into first. then reverse slams so hard it rocks the whole car.??????? Anybody know whats going on?
  • krs01grandamkrs01grandam Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2001 grand am, two weeks after i bought it, it started shifting like the trans was comeing out. it would shift very hard when the car got hot, or if i sat still and the car was running. i worried with it for 4 or 5 months and had it scanded every week by all the auto zones/ advance auto stores in my town they all had something differnt to tell me. finnaly i went to the dealer, they put it on the dealer computer scanner and it was a vacume leak on one of the little plastic hoses around the mass air flow sens. got it fixed and been running fine for 4 years now... good luck
  • gasegase Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Grand AM SE and for the past two years it has chugged slightly with strain, ie: on inclines at speeds around 60+. I took it to a shop originally and it was found to have problems with the spark plugs and housing unit- these were replaced and the problem improved, but did not resolve. Two days ago I had the computer checked and nothing was found to be out of order. Today, however, it has gotten much worse and now in order to maintain higher speeds I have to manually downshift on any inclines. Also, the service engine soon and trac control light came on today. Anyone have any ideas?
  • krs01grandamkrs01grandam Member Posts: 8
    my catledic converter went bad in my car about 8 months ago, sounds like that might be the problem. it had gotten clogged , and wouldn't hardly go when i gave it any gas at speeds of 30 and up...
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    that is a common problem with ga,gp,and camaros gm has had a recall and free replacement program on some models but has a mileage restriction
  • wveaglewveagle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Grand AM thats standard and to get the keys out of the ignition it has to be in reverse and now it just won't go in reverse most of the time. All of the other gears work (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th). :confuse:
  • nauticaboy025nauticaboy025 Member Posts: 1
    I have a bit of a problem. I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT with 150,000. A month ago my dad changed the filter and fluid. After this was done when I would first start the car I would have to let it run for a minute or it would really bog down for it to move. Once it ran it was fine. Yesterday I was on the highway when I realized the rpm was going up to keep it going at a steady 70 and then I lost all power to the transmission. After it cooled it would move but still strain. I did this to get it home. You could also smell the fluid burning. After it cooled over night I started it and and it seemed to work normal. Is it time for a new transmission? Could the filter and fluid change have caused this? Until now I never had a problem with the transmission. Any input would be much appreciated.
  • ron528ron528 Member Posts: 5
    I have had a 98 Pontiac Grand Am for about 2 weeks now. It has the 2.4 liter 4 cyl so its suppose to have the 4T60E transmission. Well it won't go into 4th gear at highway speeds. First day I owned it the engine wiring melted and the dealer replaced the engine wiring harness.

First, secnod, and third gears wortk fine. Fluid looks and smells good. What could cause this transmission not to go into 4th gear? It tachs 3,000 rpm at 60 mph in third gear, when I put it into drive, still at 3,000 rpm at 60 mph.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
  • kbright2kbright2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an automatic 02 Grand Am GT sedan and recently it has started making an unusual humming sound and it's giving me trouble in shifting up, usually taking effort to go over 25 mph. So far no overheating, etc... just not wanting to go. Does it sound like the transmission?
  • smoke3400smoke3400 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 99 grand am se with the 3.4 v6 automatic... here recently i had my engine replaced wit an engine out of a 99 alero and now when im in heavy acceleration and it goes to shift it acts like it gets stuck in between gears and the rev limiter (not sure how to spell) kicks in and it just pops and bangs til i let off the gas and it shifts like nothing ever happened.... i changed my spark plugs the other day and it got better but its still there.... the engine and tranny seems strong but i cant really find out because of this.... if anyone has experienced this problem and has fixed it let me know cause im all out of ideas
  • red_foxred_fox Member Posts: 1
    Exact same problem with a 2001 Grand Am.
    Today the check engine light and ETS (traction system) lights came on while it was trying to shift out of overdrive on the highway.
  • grandam111grandam111 Member Posts: 1
    hello I have a 96 grand am gt with a dead 3.1 v6 motor. But, i have 02 3.1 motor can i put this motor in the 96? Will i run into any problems?? Any help?? thanks!! :)
  • mcallan1mcallan1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, I have a 2000 Grand am gt. Has anyone ever had the problem of the right side driveshaft bearing growling and noisy? It recently has had both front wheel bearings replaced, with the right side being real difficult to get off. Wondering if this was the start of a bad transmission bearing????? And is it something that can be changed from the outside?, or does it have to come out and apart?????
  • ken74ken74 Member Posts: 13
    Hello all:

First a little background on the car...

I had just replaced the struts, rotors, pads, and front tires the day before this failure occurred. Where does this tie in to my problem? Well, it may or it may not. I'll get to that later.

The day after the repairs I was driving along at about 45 enjoying my new riding car. All the sudden the car tached-out as if I had knocked the shifter into neutral. However, much to my dismay, the car was still in drive. I coasted to the shoulder and turn the car off. After scratching my head for a minute I restarted the car and tried all the gears; none of them responded. I did however note a metallic-zipping noise that occurs in all ranges to include park.

I checked the shifter cable and it appears to be actuating the shaft on the tranny. The fluid is good.

Another thing I noted is that the whinning/zipping noise will go away above 2500-2700 rpm.

Any thoughts? :confuse:

Ken
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    If the noise is in all ranges then the most likely cause would be that the pump is damaged or the filter is clogged with debris from internal damage from somewhere else.
  • numbnutsnumbnuts Member Posts: 1
    hello folks, need your help. i have a 2001 grand am automatic with a 2.4 twin cam.
    i've been getting a dry hoarse hum coming from the tranny on the passengers side, or so it seems more from that side the the drivers. the car shifts fine and accellerates ok, but the dry hum has gotten louder and louder as the week went on to the point i have parked the car perminantly till i isolate the problem and fix.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated... thanks jim
  • sharrahlsharrahl Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, hope someone can help me. I have a 97 grand am with a quad 4 motor and 5-speed transmission. (not sure of the mileage) Yesterday, all of a sudden it lost 2nd, 4th, and reverse. I can go forward but not backwards. Very strange, seems there is no gear to grab. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how much it might cost? It is a good car and I want to fix it. Email me at sharrahl@ameritech.net please.
  • alan81959alan81959 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Am SE with a 2.2L, 4 speed auto. The trans started acting up last week so I took it to the dealer. they checked and said the trans gave an "internal failure" code. I replaced the trans, much cheaper than rebuilding. I took the old one apart for recycling purposes. When I took off the pan, there was no filter! :surprise: It must have come from the factory that way. 95000 miles and then it goes, imagine if it had come with a filter how long it would have lasted. Replaced the filter and fluid in replacement even though it had only 34000 on it. Any ideas what I could do now? This cost me $800. Can I go back on GM? Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!
  • wimbseywimbsey Member Posts: 1
    i just had transmission serviced and drove it for two weeks now tranny is acting like it is slipping i.e. engine reving. intermittenly. this is a 99 grand am se. engine replaced. now this. how do you check the tranny fluid level? no dipstick except me.
    There's no dipstick. The fluid level is determined by removing a plug in the side of the transaxle and seeing if the fluid is at the bottom level of the plug bore while the engine is running and the fluid is warmed up. Until that level is checked it can't be determined if the problem is low fluid or something worse. If it wasn't re-filled properly then it's a real possibility that's all the problem is, low fluid. It should be checked ASAP.
  • purduedueb1987purduedueb1987 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get that banging problem fixed, it so what was the problem and how much was it... I have a 2001 Grand Am GT and when I put it in drive or reverse it bangs and it's the most painful sound, its been doing it for a month and I'm afraid something will eventually break...It also bangs in first gear extremely hard, it bangs in the rest of the gears too, but not as bad as first, drive, and reverse. The car pulls like it is really weak since that started also... I know its not the transmission because the whole thing wouldn't act up at one time... Any advise would help a lot.
  • juanquartlowwjuanquartloww Member Posts: 1
    just wondering if you ever got this problem fixed if so maybe you could help me out because my 01 just started this yesterday. thanks
  • gmpower85gmpower85 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Man

i seam to have the same problem .. like the transmission is hunting for the next gear.. i need to floor it to hit the passing gear for it to stop. My buddy thinhks it might be caused by the knock down band and the adjustment is off a bit.. it feels like a engine miss but it is more defined like the tranny. only happends during excel. the RPM is bouncing up and down.. is this the same problem .. is so how did you fix it or was it related to the fluid level

thanks
  • smoke3400smoke3400 Member Posts: 2
    i changed my trans filter and filled up with b&m trick shift but that really didnt make a difference so i added some oil additives and some fuel additives i dont remember the name but i will go to the parts store and get the name then post it...
  • chad27chad27 Member Posts: 1
    Hello.let me start by saying thanks for any help in advance.Also nice work on the site design.I have a 98 grandam 4cyl.The problem im haveing is,The transmission started to mess up no 1st or fourth gear,and at the same time the cooling fan would come on as soon as the car is turned on regardless of temp.so i did a code scan the results were the shift solienoid 1-2,cooling fan relay was bad.so i replaced the relay still same problem with fan.I noticed in the chilton book these two parts are on the same circuit.The wierd thing is when i unplug the wires going to the trany the fan stops and the ac compressor clutch releases.Im wondering if there is an elec problem rather than the shift solienoids. :confuse:
  • hecnyucatanhecnyucatan Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased a 2002 grand am gt and i am having a difficult time locating the transmission dip stick.
    It doesn't have one. The only way you check it if you suspect it's low is to remove the level plug on the side of the trans case while it's running. The fluid should to the level of the level plug hole when it's running at operating temperature.
  • talon16talon16 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 wont shift into gear. the button is really stiff as well
  • JswenJswen Member Posts: 1
    did you ever find out what the problem was my 99 grand am started to do this today rpms stay at around 2000 and I can put the gas to the floor and no response when I get up to 55 mph it starts to shift back and forth and when I go up hills I loose alot of power please help me out
  • Danny69Danny69 Member Posts: 4
    hey guys i got a grand am gt year 2001 and every time i give it gas it doesnt hit the next gear right away...like it over revs, its hard to explain it but its as if its struggling to get into the next gear it over revs a little bit and then changes but this is only wen i punch it. I drove a civic and it would shift gears right away so i was a bit worried wen i drove my car right after and it didnt switch right away. hopfully u guys know wat i'm talking about and if not feel free to ask me to clear things up and let me kno if u guys know how to fix this problem. thanks.
  • roger54roger54 Member Posts: 1
    i would like to know if transmission from a 2001 alero 3400 will fit a 2000 grand am 3400. thx
  • Hasler99Hasler99 Member Posts: 4
  • Hasler99Hasler99 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 97 grand am gt. i has the 3.1 with a auto. the problem is when you start the car the low trac light comes on, before even putting it in gear. then when you put it in gear it comes on and you can feel it slip just a little bit, then it drives fine. the car has around 180,000 on it. plus the gas mileage is lower than i think it should be, it averages around 23-25 i just think it should be higher...but maybe not. well i appreciate the replys and waiting. thanks
  • sofi299sofi299 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 03 pontiac grand am se 6cyl and I need a transmission. I have located parts for 1999 and 2001 grand ams. I wanted to know if I could use there transmissions even if it is a little older. Also I am in need of a power steering pump as well, so I would need that too from. Would those year cars work with my car???
    The only difference I'm aware of for those years would be if the donor car was a GT or not, and then the difference would only be in the final drive ratio, which is lower in the GT.
  • sofi299sofi299 Member Posts: 2
    Ok. Thnks its not a GT its just a 4 door sedan SE. Great so really the transmission should be the same, do i need to worry about if it is a 4 cyl or 6 cyl. I know that has to do with just the engine but those that effect the transmission as well. I have a 6 cyl.
  • kat1955kat1955 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Pontiac Grand Am (3.4 L) Periodically, it has a loud roar and the tack jumps up and it has a vibration, not all the time. Transmission may slip. Can any of you out there tell me what's going on and what to do? I appreciate any help!! KW
    Has the fluid level been checked? There's no dipstick, it has to be done by removing the level plug on the right (passengers) side of the trans case, while it's warmed up and running.
  • foru2nv4foru2nv4 Member Posts: 1
    I due believe your problem is that you have a bad motor mount or transmission mount.