Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4 Electrical Problems

2»

Comments

• what year is the z4?did u check the emergency release cable in the trunk?if it is a 1/4 of an inch out the top wont work.
  • shwadeshwade Posts: 1
    Have just replaced power amp for radio and a chip sensor for top.... Then drove for 1 week applied brakes and the horn starts honking like ... Get outa my way kinda honking when breaking. took in says wire is worn in steering wheel I need new steering wheel I have the notchy issue when she sits in the sun all day . Mechanic says won't hurt to drive it but would have to replace whole column for a bearing... He says 3 major design flaws the steering wheel goes for 800 column 3000 plus fix it fee.....power amp /chip oil change 1700......whatcha gonna do.... I love her but.... There is a limit!
  • Hi Bob - My Z4 has only 47,190 miles when my Steering Column Malfunction light went on. I took my car in to the dealership last week, they told me that it would cost me $4000.00 to fix the electronic steering column that is malfunctioning. I was horrified! That is an obscene amount of money to fix a problem that I believe is a factory defect in the car. I would like us to pool our resource and to see if we can raise awareness of this BWM defect to the appropriate government agencies and to call out BMW to recall and fix this manufacturing defect on their dime. I sent you an email to:bobcarnett@att.net. I hope to hear from you soon. Regards, Maria
  • - I just took my 2004 Z4 to the BWM dealership the other day when the light came on for the "Steering Column" on the dashboard. The sales rep called me and told me that I needed a new steering column and that it would cost me $4000.00 to fix it. Needless to say I am livid. My car has only 47,190 miles and I hardly drive it, the car is a weekend fun car. I did a Google search and came across the posting on http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f92ec/31 and decided that I need to contact you guys to see if we can pull our resources together. This morning I got off the phone with a BMW North America Representative. I explained the problem but I was instructed to go back to the dealership. I am not a happy camper at this moment. I too believe that this is a factory defect and that it should be fixed by BWM at no cost. I actually lost steering capability while driving on the highway. I would like to document this just in case something happens. I would like to work with you all to reach whatever government agency we can in order to get BMW to issue a recall to fix this defect. I believe it is a dangerous issue for all drivers of Z4's and we should place a warning out there to them.
  • I just took my 2004 Z4 to the BWM dealership the other day when the light came on for the "Steering Column" on the dashboard. The sales rep called me and told me that I needed a new steering column and that it would cost me $4000.00 to fix it. Needless to say I am livid. My car has only 47,190 miles and I hardly drive it, the car is a weekend fun car. I did a Google search and came across the posting on http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f92ec/31 and decided that I need to contact you guys to see if we can pull our resources together. This morning I got off the phone with a BMW North America Representative. I explained the problem but I was instructed to go back to the dealership. I am not a happy camper at this moment. I too believe that this is a factory defect and that it should be fixed by BWM at no cost. I actually lost steering capability while driving on the highway. I would like to document this just in case something happens. I would like to work with you all to reach whatever government agency we can in order to get BMW to issue a recall to fix this defect. I believe it is a dangerous issue for all drivers of Z4's and we should place a warning out there to them.
  • I am in the market for a rather nice 2 seater car. Call it a "mid-life crisis". I have never owned a BMW, but i have liked them form a distance.
    This past weekend, after researching several Z4's, I found a 2006 that I wanted to purchase from a dealer. As I was in the car checking it out, I tried the soft-top roof. It went open, but when i went to close it, it did not move. The sales man and a service person at the dealership came out & tried. No luck. I will have to pass on THAT one.

Also, after reading these posts, I am having even MORE thoughts of NOT getting my mid-life crisis "dream car". UGH!

Any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,349
    Well if you buy a German car out of warranty, you had better buckle up because this kind of thing will happen. It's a great little car but BMWs can be buggy now and then. Your best strategy is to develop a relationship with a good independent BMW shop so that you never have to go to the dealer for repair work--then have this shop thoroughly check out any Z4 you are thinking of buying, and if the car passes, then join the BMW club for resources on saving money on parts and for getting good advice.

if you are expecting Camry-like reliability and a glitch-free world in a used BMW, that's simply not realistic. On the other hand, you'll have a LOT more fun in the BMW.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

2»