Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Audio Questions

2»

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Here is a description of what one guy did to install a subwoofer. (You may have to register with that forum before it will let you see the thread.)
  • kidroachkidroach Member Posts: 9
    I'm trying to install an iPod on my car but I can't seem to find any aux input on the radio (I'm pretty sure the radio is original from the factory).

Anyone has had this problem and got a solution for it? Right now, the only thing that comes to my mind is change the radio to something else aftermarket. Then again, that would be a hassle to install and I'd throwing away the current radio (I'm not gonna use it and I highly doubt if anyone would buy it?)

So, anyone has a good solution on how to install an iPod on Elantra?

Also, I've read that there's Aux Inputs on the later models of Elantra. Mine is the 2004 GLS model.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    One easy way is to get one of those little wireless transmitters that sends your iPod or MP3 signal over FM radio. They start around $20. It doesn't work real well in real big cities with crowded FM bands, but my oldest son uses one on an old 626 and I use it to pipe a portable DVD player's sound through the stereo system on our minivan on long trips and it works pretty well.

Or get a new one. The Elantra has a standard slot for the radio, so installing a new unit would not be difficult. I've seen units with aux inputs starting under $100 at BestBuy et. al.
    I bought a new Kenwood car stereo as a gift for my son (also for me) for my 2004 GT, which my son and I share now, but he'll be taking to college next fall. It has the OEM Kenwood unit in it now. I'm replacing it because of various problems, including balkiness turning on when very cold, very poor AM reception, and frustrating controls. Also the new one has an aux input jack on the front, and CDs can be inserted w/o lowering the faceplate (a really poor design on the OEM unit I thought). I got a great deal on the new unit ($80), including free "basic" installation (parts extra).

Which brings me to my question. I figure this should be a very simple install, since I'm replacing a Kenwood single DIN unit with another Kenwood single DIN unit. The audio shop thought it should be a simple swap, but wasn't sure. I'm taking it in for the install on Monday. Anybody know if this will be as easy as I expect it will be, i.e. no parts needed?
    Since the new stereo was installed today, I have my answer: it WAS a simple swap. Took less than 30 minutes for the audio shop to do it, and no parts needed (i.e. a "basic install", so it was free). And the new Kenwood unit looks better than the OEM unit, sounds great (including AM), and looks like it could be a factory piece, with blue and red lighting that matches the GT's dash lighting. And the controls are a breeze to use, contrary to those on the old deck. Best $79.95 + tax I've ever spent (well, in a long time anyway).

So anyone who has the '04 GT with the Kenwood stereo system and is less than pleased with it, you can swap it easily and inexpensively for something much better. FWIW, my new unit is the Kenwood KDC-MP142... at or near the bottom of the line, so if you want more features such as an iPod jack in addition to the aux input, and Bluetooth and satellite radio ready, there's units in the same line with similar controls and styling that will pop right into the '04 GT as my el cheapo unit did.

• bigbadbasebigbadbase Member Posts: 1
    im looking to find a good spot on the firewall to put the 0 guage wire through for my amps its really tight under the hood. were should i put it????
  • eayalaeayala Member Posts: 5
    Hello. My car radio come with an Aux input, not on the radio but down by next to the [non-permissible content removed] gear. I try pluggin in an IPOD but did not work. Thougt I found it strange that the radio, did not have the option for Aux in.
    My question is the following.
    What is the Aux for that came on the Car?
    If I replace radio,(looking for something more sophisticated, but not expensive) what is the recomendation?

I think you need an iPod adapter cable to work with that aux input. They cost around $30, available from your Hyundai dealer and maybe elsewhere.

As for where that aux input is located... ooops. :blush:
    thanks
  • nybammanybamma Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Elantra that I bought used 2 months ago. For the last 2 weeks, I have been getting a "loading" message on the radio display. I can't see the radio station or switch to the CD player or use my iPod. I called the dealership I bought it from and they say it needs to be replaced but the warranty won't cover it. Any easy fix?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm not familiar with the '08 Elantra's stereo so my reply is based on general knowledge.

Two suggestions:

1. Try a full reset by pulling the appropriate fuse or unplugging the power connector from it. Just be warned that some radio locks themselves when power is removed as a theft deterrent. If yours does then you'll have to enter a code to unlock it (the code is either factory-set and in your manual or was set when the car was originally purchased).

2. If there's a CD in it, there may be a little pin hole to do a forced eject of the disc; unbend a paperclip & stick the tip in the hole (check the manual for this). A CD that either can't be read or is somehow no longer properly mounted might cause the stereo to get stuck trying to load the disc.

If you can't fix it & have to pay out of pocket for a replacement then you'll likely get a better unit for less cash buying third party from Crutchfield, BestBuy, Fry's, or some other retailer.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I just recentely purchase a Doubledin radion, now I was told that my Elentra is not doubledin. I underdstand I need to purchase a ddin kit, Though here is my confusion. the kit that i have look and search for is the mounting kit for ddin radion which seem righ, , I was thinking I needed more like the whole dash radio kit.
    Pleaese advise.
    anxious to setup my new radio, and now its becoming a nightmare. All the places i go to don't have the kit.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Have you tried Crutchfield.com? I haven't bought from them but they seem to have a wide selection of auto stereo items.

Another thought would be some of the Korean accessory importers; they might have something for Hyundai stereo mounting.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Which year Elantra do you have? My understanding is that the 2001-6 Elantra has a double-din slot. Maybe newer ones are not?
    I have the 2008. It seem it have the doubleDin slot though the face cover radio and the power buttons are has like a one inch separator.
    I wll give them a try.
    thanks
  • matt118matt118 Member Posts: 2
    I dont know what i exactly did because the first time i changed the radio everything was working and now then i was changing it I think I did sth wrong, maybe i did short circuit but im not sure. I connected all the wires and now neither my radio nor clock not even alarm is working. What could be the problem? Did I burn the cable or is it something else? I also need to know some easy way to fix it if you know any. thanks
  • kaatjekeutelkaatjekeutel Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what error 30 means for the CD player? The player will no longer accept any CD's. If you press the release button while pushing the CD in it will accept the CD, but then spits it right back out. Can you also tell me how to remove the stereo so we can check it?
  • johnagosjohnagos Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2010 Elantra SE with the ipod connection. I bought a new 160 GB classic as my old ipod would not work with the new car. The trouble I am having is that some songs sound like they are in mono and not stereo. Part of the song plays, and part of it is "dropping". The songs are fine on the computer, the songs play fine with headphones and plays fine in the ipod boom box. The only place I am having trouble is in the car. My dealer is telling me the ipod is no good or the songs are corrupted. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks!
  • beard5beard5 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Today, when checking out the CD player, I get a "Disc Checking" message on the screen. My AUX was also messing up, but a fuse pull fixed that. I put a CD into the player but it won't read it and I can't get it out. When I tried it yesterday and the day before it would always say "Loading..." and then no disc. Now it's just "Disc Checking." Any suggestions for things I can try before taking it in?
  • humsharkhumshark Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a 2012 Elantra Limited with Navigation. The sticker also shows that we have the Premium Audio package with the external digital amplifier.

Can someone please tell me how to verify that this is indeed installed on our car. As of now, the radio sound quality is barely acceptable, especially in XM mode as the signal level is very low.

I thought that the external amplifier would be mounted in the trunk area, yet I do not see one. Is it possible that the premium package was not installed? ( I hope so, or else Hyundai needs to redefine premium )

The car I traded in had similar options and the devices were easy to see. Large amplifier mounted under the rear deck with heat dispersion fins, etc..
  • mweathersmweathers Member Posts: 15
    I also have a 2012 Limited with Nav. To get the Nav, you should have the Technology Package, which also comes with the better audio system. That's the reason I bought the Technology Package. I wanted to have the best audio system they offered. You do have the external digital amp. I haven't found mine yet either, though I'm told it's in the right rear of the trunk area, behind a removable panel. I am curious about the barely acceptable statement in your post. I've also noticed that XM mode is noticeably lower in volume than the CD mode. I don't listen to regular radio, so I can't comment on that. I've found the best sound can be had (imo) by setting the balance to the rear by one notch. The bass should be turned up to 1 or 2 notches above center. Midrange should be set the same way. But to my ears, the best treble is 4 notches from minimum setting. If not, the treble is ear splitting! I listen to CD more than anything and that's the setting I've found is best for CD......By the way, XM sounds bad no matter what you have your system set on (though the above settings seem best to me). XM sound quality has gone WAY down since Sirius bought the company a few years ago. The sound is so compressed, there's no way to make it sound very good at all.

Hopefully the above suggestions will help. I do wish there was a subwoofer in this sytem, though I've heard it's not too hard to add one.....I've yet to check into the specifics, though. Hope my suggestions help you with your sound....
    You are right about the Sirius/XM. The "articles of compression" are terrible on the highs and make nearly everything sound like it is coming from behind a tin can with aluminum sealed across the opening.

Do you have speakers in the rear deck? I'm surprised that a system, calling itself premium, relies solely on the door speakers. I do have a more critical ear than most, but this is the first time I have been SO disappointed with a package that touted itself as premium. I should have been aware when after searching, there is NO real information on the system to be found. My dealer couldn't tell me a thing about it, only assuring me that it did have an extra amp most likely behind the dash.

I, like you, thought is was in the trunk area, but that was when I thought it might actually have extra speakers, or minimally, upgraded ones. I haven't found it yet.

Overall, after tweaking the EQ in a similar manner, Trial and error, I have found the best quality from the usb port, when running very high bit-rate songs from file. I rarely use CD's anymore since we have completely digitized our collection.

I do love the integration of technology, but love more, my widely varied and often demanding audio.
    Believe it or not, the system has 6 speakers. 2 tweeters high in the front doors, 2 mid/bass speakers in the front doors and 2 barely on speakers in each back door....I guess for ambience. No speakers on the back deck. And no sub, which I thought it would have. I'm disappointed as well, but not extremely so. I had a top of the line Bose system in my 2003 Mazda 6 that didn't sound as good as this one. It had the same amount of speakers and a sub, along with an external amp. It also relied very heavily on the front speakers, with the rear door speakers barely on. The sub was so low I had to check by touching it to make sure it was actually on. So, this system is better....just not where you and I want it to be. I complained about it on my questionaire I received by email a few days ago. Won't help us, but maybe in the future they will have a better system. I've heard adding a sub isn't too hard, so I'll search on line for that choice to see if it improves the sound any.
    I came from the premium Bose system in an Altima. It was loud, heavy bass, but not balanced real well. A major step above this however.

I agree that adding a sub should not be very difficult. I'm not sure it will take care of the whole problem, especially if you can't roll of the lows to the other speakers and balance the output across them. But it would be better than what it is now. My wife will have a heart attack knowing that we need to spend more to make the NEW system sound ok. ( She actually complained about the quality of the sound )

I'll let you know what I decide. - Cheers
    I was listening to a CD this morning on the way in and notice just how MUCH bass I have. There's one thing I forgot to tell you about my settings on the premium audio in the limited. I have the auto volume (I think that's what it is called) on all the time. Being a purist I usually HATE those features (the Bose was awful and I never used it). And I did notice a lack of bass BEFORE I turned this feature on. It was then that I had to turn bass to midway.....Try it if you haven't already. This may help.