Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Transmission Questions

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    If you haven't changed your AT fluid yet, you should know that basically ONLY SP-III fluid meets the SP-III specs. Transmission and service shops often state they have some kind of "universal" fluid, but unless you see in writing on the bottle it says it meets SP-III specs, DO NOT allow them to put it in your car! If they do, and you later have transmission problems, your warranty will not be honored. SP-III differs enough from Mercon and Dexron fluids that it cannot be replaced by "universal" fluids.
  • dc_newbiedc_newbie Member Posts: 6
    Hi - They said that the speed sensors that signal the transmission were busted and needed to be replaced. The fixed them for $450 and it worked fine. I traded it in 2 months later...so not sure how long the fix lasted. The sensors were not covered under warranty, ofcourse...:-)
  • luxorluxor Member Posts: 2
    You can go to walmart and buy ATF+4 that is the other name for the recomended transmission fluid also it will usually list Hyundai right on the bottle. At walmart it is around $2.80 per quart. Otherwise you will end up paying about $4.50 or more per quart.
  • dan124dan124 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Elantra that right before the holidays began slipping out of gear as traveling and couple of days later I was in a parking lot and it would not go to Reverse and I still have the problem. I can still shift into drive but reverse is not an option; therefroe, no travel at the moment. The car has around 150k miles on it. Any suggestions as to the issue.
    Thanks
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Not so . . . Chrysler spec ATF+4 is not the same as SP-III ATF. Use your own discretion, but saving a few dollars a quart on ATF, and then later having to spend a couple of thousand for a new automatic transmission doesn't make much sense to me.

If you drive a Hyundai, Kia, or Mitsubishi, use ONLY SP-III ATF, otherwise you're asking for trouble.
    Dan - go to alt.autos.hyundai on the Usenet groups, or use Google Groups to access the group, and ask the question to Hyundaitech on the Hyundai Usenet forum. You will get a quick answer to your query, as he's a certified Hyundai technician.
  • luxorluxor Member Posts: 2
    Super Tech ATF+4 (for use in most chrysler,dodge,plymouth,and some mitsubishi and hyundai automatic transmissions and transaxles) I can also say for sure that most parts in or on the 2000 hyundai elantras are actually made by mitsubishi they have mitsubishi motors and transmissions. Most people know some chrysler transmissions are in fact made by mitsubishi they have bought and used them along with motors since the late 1980's early 1990's . Why pay $8/quart at a dealer when the Super Tech is only $2.80 or a little more I have used it in my 2000 hyundai elantra gls at every change and I'm at 115,000 the tranny shifts perfect,smoothly and I still leave most others at a standstill from the light (40miles/gallon) better than cars today. The only thing that ever gave it a harsh shift was when I had to replace the vacuum tube running from the pump hooked to the intake the harshness was caused by power loss. The fuel pressure regulator looks like it might have formed a small leak over time(oily substance where vac tube connects) but it is working right so it could be oil introduced into the intake via crank case pressure line as on most cars. It is a one owner car also (I bought it new) which shows I've used the super tech way more than once with no problems. To show you all how dealers nail you. When I needed a new regulator for my drivers side window the dealer I bought the car from wanted $89.99 I looked online found an oem parts dealer (actually a hyundai car dealer also) in florida that said the price was $28.99 and shipped two day air it was $47.99 and no tax! That just shows what dealers pay for most things. The rest go's in their pocket! But if in doubt ask any auto parts store they will properly inform you on what to buy.
    Mitsubishi only made the 3.0L OHC V6 for Chrysler. And, Chrysler's 4-speed ECT's - which were known for having problems - were made by Chrysler in Michigan - they were not sourced from Mitsubishi. The Elantra Beta Inline 4 started its design life as a Mitsu engine, but Hyundai has made many changes to it. The 4-speed automatic's design in the Elantra is of Mitsu origin, but Hyundai manufacture.

All of this is really beside the point, as ATF+4 does not have the same formulation as SP-III. If the poster wants to use ATF+4 in their 2000 Elantra, so be it. But, Hyundai WILL NOT provide any warranty support for any automatic transmission in a Hyundai that uses any other ATF other than SP-III. One must have documented proof that SP-III ATF was used, otherwise you kiss your 10 Year/100,000 Mile powertrain warranty goodbye. Again, why save a few dollars on a quart of ATF, when a non-warranty replacement transmission will cost you thousands of dollars. It's that old adage: Penny-wise, and Pound-foolish.
  • jfh2jfh2 Member Posts: 3
    my dad's '04 elantra w/ 40K miles broke down this week. it developed trans fluid leak. He took to a local garage the car sat overnight by the morning the garage said it was very low on fluid. He took the car to the dealer to see if still was covered by the warranty - the dealer said that since my dad hadn't changed his trany fluid at 30K they would not honor the warranty. can't believe that this was the cause of the transmission leak. what can he do to get the dealer to fix this?
  • ashannonashannon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Elantra that I bought with 17 miles on it and it now only has just over 50,000. the new Tranny has only 200 miles on it and guess what my car caught on fire today. I call the dealership and had them tow it, I got a loaner, and now I am lost at what to do. First the new tranny was covered under the warranty. Well when the fire department got where I was they showed me where the tranny lines had not been clamped off. As I looked under the hood of my car. EVERYTHING was covered in wet red fluid.... the fire fighter told me that If I had gone a few more feet my whole car would have been engulfed in flames. The fluid was all over the frame on the battery spark plugs on the engine block every where. SO I told them I want a everything that had any tranny fluid on it replaced. so only time will tell.

:sick: :lemon: :lemon: :mad:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It appears that the new transmission wasn't installed properly. If so, that would be human error on the part of the dealership, not the fault of the car. Be sure the dealer's service manager (and maybe owner) are aware of what the fire fighters saw. Also see if you can get a copy of their report--it might mention the unclamped lines.
  • econobikereconobiker Member Posts: 6
    Just found this list in a search for info on my wife's '01 A/T Elantra which is experiencing the same issue. It did it once last year 2007 and just recently last week. Will have it reviewed by the dealer. Car has 85,000 on it.
  • 3ofthem3ofthem Member Posts: 3
    Our problem turned out to be an electronic sensor in the tranny. Not covered by the warranty. Cost about $250.00 to replace. Not bad.....
  • 3ofthem3ofthem Member Posts: 3
    Our problem turned out to be an electronic sensor in the tranny. Not covered by the warranty. Cost about $250.00 to replace. Not bad.....
  • mvargasmvargas Member Posts: 2
    My car has 130K miles on it and has started a shift flare as described by other posters here. It would rev up to 4-5000 rpm or sometimes even more while going 30-40 mph. There is no MIL iluminated right now. Was told by a mechanic that since there's no check engine light on, the sensors (cam/speed) should be OK. I have religiously changed the ATF every 30k miles and now this problem comes out. If I have to spend $450 for a fix, I'd rather donate/trade-in this car and buy a [non-permissible content removed] car w/c are more reliable.
  • tinker50tinker50 Member Posts: 3
    My sons 2005 elantra transmission makes what I would call a lurch when it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear. 1st to 2nd is fine and 3rd to 4th is fine. Just on 2nd to 3rd makes kind of a small jerk foward, but not all the time, this just started. Is the tranny going to hell? also this is an automatic transmission.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Take it to a dealership, assuming it has less than the mileage warranty, they should take care of any problem at no cost.
    It has 61000 miles on it. plus it was a rebuilder. we have had it for over 2 years and it has been a great car. What do you think is wrong with it?
    tell me more, what kind of symptons did it show. and did they want to do a whole tranny rebuild? also why didnt the warr cover it? did the car have more than 60000 on it?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I think by "rebuilder" he means it has a salvage title. Most manufacturers will cancel the warranty on a car if it's declared salvage.
  • grump1grump1 Member Posts: 27
    Hello, I have a problem with my 1997 hyundai elantra station wagon . My automatic transmission don't have any forward gears. I used the car , and it was fine, I parked it over night , came out in the morning and i have no forward gears at all. When you put it in any forward gears it seems to get ready to go in then it kick out and you just hear a whinning noise ( like the pump running ).. The transmission fluid is full . I have park, neutral , reverse , But No Forward Gears Like 1st ,2nd, or Drive :sick: .

HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM - AND HOW CAN I FIX IT. PLEASE HELP

Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Grump
    [email protected]
    I have no experience with Hyundais, but speaking as a former engineer who's driven a lot of very thoroughly used cars over the years, I can say that it doesn't sound good. Is the transmission fluid bright red, or does it look/smell burnt?
    Hello,
    The transmission fluid color , looks brown -- But it does not smell burnt' at all . I thought because of the way it happened , That it might be a sensor or electrical . The car worked good till I parked it overnight, ""I never saw a transmission go bad from setting over night,""

Thanks,
    Grump......... :confuse:
    It's odd for something to go from no symptoms to total failure overnight, especially a transmission. So the idea of a bad sensor or computer does make sense. On the other hand, brown fluid is also a bad sign.

And you had no symptoms before? No funny shifting or anything?
    bought another good tcu.. it made no differnce....no signs other then just the normal slip for a second between 1 & 2 till you let off the gas for a second right away when its cold since 2000 when i purchased it and took it to the dealer 3 times and they said their was no problems at all , that was 8 years ago...we just left it warm up for a bit before we left.
    grump
    Wait, I just thought about something my wife said , For the past month when she put the car in gear and drove it ... It would like make like a miss in the engine, Then the miss got worse in time...Could the be related to the transmission..? If you let it idiol in Park it idiols fine with just a small miss once and awhile Not like when its in gear ..

Grump
    Slippage when cold is often a symptom of a weak transmission pump, but it could also be caused by a clog in the valve body. I ran into the same issue with my Dodge pickup.

How long since the transmission fluid was changed?
    35,000... It's due for one ...It should have been done at 30,000. I just didn't think a filter change alone would fix it from other post I seen. Guess it can't hurt , just didn'tr want to waste my money. The last time it was done the guy put dextron spIII, Maybe that has something to do with it also. He told me that is good for anything. Is that true..?

Grump
    Like I said, I don't know anything much about Hyundais, but I know that some automatics are very picky about what kind of fluid you use. So a fluid change might be the answer.

But for some reason, maybe because it happened so suddenly, I suspect you will be spending real money for a transmission rebuild instead.
    Yup , That Would Be My Luck ...... But , I Sure Hope Not.

Thanks,
    Grump

:sick:
    I found this online. It does not look promising:

On the downside, the automatic transmission requires a special SPF-3 AT fluid sold only at Hyundai. When Dextron is used, the transmission will fail internally.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/sept2004/techtotech.htm

:sick:
    Ok, Thank You.
    Grump....... :(
  • bigwillie0826bigwillie0826 Member Posts: 5
    My 1999 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 auto shifts through first and second and when it shifts again it seams to be down shifting and I lose speed drastically. This only happens when going uphill. downhill and flat runs great. I start out doing 60 and by the time I get to the top of the hill (about a quarter of a mile) I'm doing a steady 30 mph. This happens on any grade of hill from small to large. From a standstill I can hear it shift from first to second and then to third but it seams to downshift and revs very high and i steadily lose speed until I'm doing 30 mph when it should be third gear and a steady acceleration.

I have already checked a few things so here they are.
    Transmission fluid and filter change (no plastic or metal pieces or even metal dust in pan) just a small amount of sludge.
    Fuel filter, pump, pressure, and sending unit fine.
    Air filter and throttle body fine.
    PCV valve fine.
    Timing belt was loose but tightened and fine.
    Spark plugs, wires and coil packs fine.

I have a small exhaust leak but can't seem to find it and a small oil leak which I can't seam to find either.
    It has 140,000 miles on it but the MPG is great so I really love this car and really want to fix it.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    WELCOME TO THE HYUNDAI ELANTRA MOTOR -- NO POWER CLUB --... MINE NEVER HAD POWER UP HILLS EITHER IN THE LAST 8 YEARS THAT I HAVE OWNED IT... GET USE TO IT.

GOOD LUCK....!!!!!!!!!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Did you use the Hyundai required transmission fluid? A generic trans fluid can cause transmission problems.
    the mechanic that changed the filter and fluid used -- dexron3 , he said it would work. :confuse:
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    This only happens when going uphill. downhill and flat runs great

I have a small exhaust leak but can't seem to find it

One thing you might check is to see if your exhaust system/catalytic converter is plugged or partially plugged. I remember seeing from my old days in the auto service field many a loose baffle in mufflers or collapsed manifold or exhaust pipes. Those would create excessive backpressure and loss of power on hills or full throttle. If possible, you could drop the pipe from the exhaust manifold and then test drive it under the problem conditions.Just be forewarned it will be loud and keep the windows open. ;)
    Unfortunately, your mechanic was wrong. If I were you, I'd show him some posts like this from the Web and demand he pay to repair/replace the transmission that he ruined with the Dexron III fluid.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t5918-automatic-transmission-fluid-type.htm
    It was doing this before I changed the fluid and filter. That's specifically why I did it. I had this same problem with my 1989 Chevy Beretta GT and changed the fluid and the filter and it fixed it but unfortunately it didn't work on my Elantra.
    I do have a small exhaust leak that I can't seem to locate but the rest of the system looks fine. Now I was thinking it might be a blocked Catalytic converter so a friend of mine told me to run it at night until its hot and look to see if the converter is red or glowing. He said if it has a restriction that it would overheat and the metal would start to glow when it gets hot but I havn't noticed any redness or glowing when I look at it in the dark. Now if I try what you said and disconnect it and drive it uphill what am i listening for and i disconnect it above the converter right? But wouldn't this cause the vehicle to run poorly due to the O2 sensors not getting the correct signals?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    You would not really be listening for anything. The idea is to open up the system and see if excessive backpressure is the cause of the performance decline. Doing so will make it loud and possibly dangerous from exhaust fume infiltration into the cabin, so I do recommend doing so only with open windows. As far as the O2 sensors, they would not get correct info but that should only be a minor problem. If high backpressure is the cause and you open up the exhaust, the performance increase should well outweigh any decrease from incorrect O2 sensor readings. ;)
    Well I found the exhaust leak. My damn manifold is cracked in 2 places. Looks like I'm heading to the junk yard. $225.oo for a new one is just too much lol.
    well the car goes into the dealership on tuesday. I found that the manifold was recalled and i can now get it fixed for free. my wallet is sooo happy lol
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Well backy to answer your question at the very beginning of this thread, after reading all 94 posts on here, the majority of which suggest problems with the automatics, I'd say 5 speed MANUAL! :)

Or does the '09 model have a much improved transmission? As always, TIA for your opinions.
    The original question was about someone who might have ruined their Elantra's AT by using the wrong tranny fluid. That is not the fault of the transmission.

The AT in the Elantra has improved over time but it's still a pretty basic four-speed. I am hoping Hyundai will put a more modern AT (e.g. 5AT Shifttronic like the Forte has) for 2010.

My first Elantra, a 2001 GLS, had the 5-speed. I liked it a lot, until my oldest son, helped by his mother, trashed the clutch ($1300). Also traffic is getting worse every year. So I think I'll stick with ATs, at least until I can be sure I'm the only person in the family to drive it. For instance, my Rabbit's 6-speed Tiptronic is quite a nice unit, for an automatic.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    ya ever get caught in a traffic jam while Prince's entourage passes through? :shades:

Yep, Hyundai needs to develop the 5AT Shifttronic for their new world order Elantra's like Kia is plopping in to their Forte's, exactly right.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• moparman5moparman5 Member Posts: 1
    We put an automatic from 1 car into our car. It worked fine in the other car. Now it has a very good reverse and at times it has no forward. When we put it in drive it seems to work fine for 10 to 20 minutes then seems to just disengage when it wants to. On jack stands it will shift just fine then when you stop and put it in park and then put it back in drive it will start to move the wheels and then sort of clicks and stops moving. Any Ideas????? This thing is driving us nuts. We have changed the fluid and filter with the right fluid. The fluid that we drained was red and had no shavings or residue in the pan. We changed the two sensors on the end of the transmission one on top and one on bottom.
  • optifluidoptifluid Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 2009 elantra se. Very nice but I notice 2 things with the transmission and I am wondering if it is normal or possibly a problem. 1. After the car sits for 1 to 2 hrs and I put it in reverse or drive, I get a clunk noise coming from the tranny. It is not felt in the car but the noise is there. The clunk doesn't return until I let the car sit again. 2. The tranny makes a buzzing noise for 1 to 2 seconds each time I put it into a different gear. P, D, 2, or 1. It sounds like a gear motor buzzing. Anyone else notice this? Thanks for any responses.
  • mvargasmvargas Member Posts: 2
    All forward gears working fine but no reverse. Drained/Opened oil pan and saw very few metal shavings - the normal wear and tear. What could be wrong w/ this tranny? Does a bad crankshaft position sensor affect the reverse gear? These cars are known to fail the CPS. Any help would be reatly appreciated. :mad:
  • tkirkwoodtkirkwood Member Posts: 1
    Hello -

I recently purchased a 99 Elantra and unfortunately it has tranny problems. I took it to the shop and they gave me the codes for the gear problems (P0731, P0732, P0733, and P0734). They recommend I take it to a transmission specialist. I plan to, but am very curious as to how much this is going to cost. I'm a full-time student and would like to minimize the cost as much as possible. I also ran into an AT recall, but maybe it is not related (details below). I guess my question is roughly what will this cost and what is the best way to minimize the cost if this recall will not help? Also, how long can I postpone it? What should I do/not do?

Thank you!!!

Recall Date:
    JUL 07, 1999
    Model Affected:
    1999 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
    Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS. THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE SEALS DO NOT REMAIN SUFFICIENTLY ELASTIC, RESULTING IN TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKAGE. THIS LEAKAGE CAN RESULT IN REDUCED PRESSURE APPLICATION TO THE CLUTCHES, BRAKE, AND KICKDOWN SERVO, ALLOWING THEM TO SLIP.
    Consequence:
    SUCH SLIPPAGE CAN CAUSE PREMATURE DETERIORATION OF THE FRICTION ELEMENT SURFACES AND COULD CAUSE THE VEHICLE NOT TO ACCELERATE, OR NOT ACCELERATE AS EXPECTED, WHEN THE DRIVER PRESSES THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY 033