Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Forester Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    You might check out SubaruForester.org for more information on the smell.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Well since it's been 6 months it's obviously not the undercoating still burning off (unless you seldom drive it). Since you're otherwise happy, rather than trying to get rid of it, I'd focus on figuring out what's causing the odor. It could be something simple like a small coolant leak caused by a loose hose. Maybe you could find a dis-interested 3rd party to confrim the smell?

IRT your customer service experience, keep climbing the ladder until you get to someone responsive (of course keep in mind the old saying that "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar"). I know for a fact that there are people working at SOA who are caring and considerate and will work with you to resolve your problem.

-Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Call 800-SUBARU3, but be nice! Get a case number.
  • aladwagaladwag Member Posts: 8
    First, let me say thanks for all the responses, it is greatly appreciated. I have a case number, I've been nice but firm about not wanting my three-year-old daughter to have to smell the fumes that make even me a little nauseous...

After being told a scenario by an otherwise incredibly rude and abrupt supervisor in customer service that if my car cost $5k to trade in that Subaru might pick up $4k of the cost, two months later and one month after I brought my car to the dealer for an estimate of the trade in. I also requested and was granted another supervisor, whose only role was to deliver the offer. The offer? Subaru would pick up 50% of the trade-in cost.

That means it would cost me $4500 out of pocket to take a chance on another vehicle from them...something I'm not willing to do. They've abused and betrayed my trust, and I will no longer recommend them to anyone.

Some responses suggested I look for ways to fix the problem...makes sense. I just lost confidence when the dealer's own service technician described the problem as being due to undercoating sprayed on the engine (a manufacturing defect) and then stated the problem was not fixable. If Subaru can't fix it, I figured, nobody can.

But I am open to having the car looked at (assuming it's not going to cost me anything to look) just to see if what I'm describing makes your nose and throat cringe as it does mine. And who knows? Maybe there is a fix, maybe the tech was wrong. Stranger things have happened.

I'll also be writing a letter to Subaru certified mail return receipt requested insisting they fix the car within twenty days as the first step to having the car declared a lemon, something I realize is not a slam dunk, and taking all possible measures to publicize my dissatisfaction with the car and the service I've received since Subaru didn't consider my problem to be worthy of addressing properly when it was just me complaining.

I also believe the trade-in value assigned the car was unbelievably low ($13.5K) for a March 2007 Forester Sports X with 7000 miles which did have some body work done for a non-structural scrape on the driver's side. But losing $10k in value in less than six months? I think low-balling the trade-in value was just a nice way to have the dealer and SOA combine to make it look like they were being generous while having me pay most of the cost of trading out of their lemon.

I just drove home in the cold rain last night, and even in the rain as I walked away from the car I could smell that bitter stale odor...of the engine with the manufacturing defect, and the car company that positions itself as the environmentally aware automaker but doesn't care for the drivers who have to suck on stale fumes from their vehicles.

What I need is to have a consumer advocate read my letter in a public forum, at which point the attitude would change and Subaru would suddenly be eager to resolve what was certainly an unfortunate misunderstanding.

I really don't like the way I was treated by customer service who try to deny the smell, then blame the smell on third-party alterations (the remote start and alarm installed by the dealer!), the misleading "don't quote me" scenario of an 80% coverage by Subaru being floated for two months only to get a 50% offer.

P.S. They knew about the body work from the start of the discussions, so that was no surprise. And I was told in no uncertain terms after I calmly expressed my dismay at the low offer that it was the only and final offer Subaru would make.

As a standup comedian, one of my advantages is I can turn this scenario into a funny bit that will make audiences laugh and think twice about who they hand their money to.
    They have a Guaranteed Trade-in Program right now so many owners are seeing the exact opposite - very high offers for their trades.

The damage may disqualify yours, though.

Still, keep fighting, sounds like you can do better.
    Undercoating getting sprayed on the engine is quite common (and I doubt it's limited to Subaru). Were that the problem then the tech would be correct in saying it's not fixable. However, the undercoating normally burns off after a few weeks at most so I can't see that being your problem.

Since the dealer's service dept is no help, it might be worth taking it to an independent mechanic to see if he can ID the problem then you could take it back to the dealer with specifics of what needs to be fixed.

-Frank
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    So you mean to tell me that you are hinging all this on one single tech who looked at it? Unfortunately in this world, you generally need several opinions to get a problem fixed. As I said I'd take a gander at it just cause I'm curious to see what the problem is. Having worked on Subies since about 1999, I've seen it all.

-mike
    I think he said the regional rep looked at it and didn't smell anything either.

I too am curious what the problem is. Maybe if he's in the NYC area he'll take you up on your offer.

-Frank
  • aladwagaladwag Member Posts: 8
    Sure, one opinion doesn't do it for surgery...but I figured no one has seen more 2007 Foresters or should be more invested in fixing the problem than the dealer's service department. Naive, perhaps.

That said, I'd be happy to get a second opinion. Where are you?

-Al
    NNJ, exit 138 on the GSP. I live in NYC though.

-mike
  • sistinesistine Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone,
    Have not bought a new car in many years. Researched many cars,decided on the Subaru Forester 2007 Sports edition. I was very excited about finally getting a new car for me since the kids are older.
    First off it starts off very rough in the morning for about 20 secs. Happens again after work. Does not happen in between if driving in less than 8 hrs.So of course it doesnt happen when I bring it in.Thats number 1.
    2. I don t feel the AC gets cold enough. Had a 2002 toyota corolla that got colder.
    3.When I accelerate I can hear a knocking noise. When u take your foot off the gas it goes away. But when u accelerate, it again it happens again.
    I took the car back for the first 2 problems & was told: that is the way the 07 & 08's start up. (why dont they tell u that before u buy it so u can decide if u want to deal with that) haha
    They checked the AC & said nothing was wrong with it. Tues I take it in for the knocking noise. Cant wait to see what they say about that.
    I guess my point is I was hoping for 3 years without problems but I have a funny feeling that is not going to happen.
    Would I buy another Subaru, probably not.
  • dcwestbydcwestby Member Posts: 29
    My cousin has an 07 xT forester... I think I was originally interested in that before I got the Ford Freestyle I have now. Mind you, I've had the freestyle since start of 06. And am just not sure if I want to go back to a geared vehicle or not, considering the freestyle's CVT. But I feel the Freestyle is a bit too much car for the engine it has.. [4100ish pounds and 3.0v6] Therefore hurting the gas mileage a bit.

I might need to research more though...
    I do like Subaru a bit, rode in a couple off and on over the years. But I dont know really....
    First off it starts off very rough in the morning for about 20 secs

How cold does it get? Suggest you leave it at the dealer overnight so they can observe it running when it's cold. Also, the boxer engine isn't know to be the smoothest idling engine.

I don t feel the AC gets cold enough

On a warm sunny day, due to greenhouse effect of all that glass, it can take a while for the Forester to cool down. Tinting the windows helps alot.

When I accelerate I can hear a knocking noise.

Try putting in a tank of higher octane to see if that stops the knocking noise but a new Forester shouldn't be doing that (unless you've got really bad gas).

-Frank
    What frank said :)

-mike
    Hey Frank & Mike,.
    Took my 2007 Forester to the dealer today with the complaint of knocking noise expecially when accelerating. I made sure I drove with the tech. CV joint was the problem. Noise much better but I think another one has to be replaced. Also they got a report as to why the car starts rough after sitting for a few hours. It has something to do with the gas in Ca. it is different in different states. I have a photocopy o f the report from Subaru.
    thanks for your responses
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    I haven't been on this board for a while. I bought (or rather my husband did) a 2003 Forester, new in June 2003. It made engine noise so I took it to the dealer. They put in a rebuilt engine. My Forester had less than 37,000 kms on it. and more than likely that rebuilt engine has a lot more kms on it. I was planning to keep the Forester for a long time. I had it rustproofed every year and took really good care of it, taking it a long distance to a Subaru dealer for even an oil change. My husband feels we should dump it. Not only that but he will not get another Subaru for me. I've been a Subaru costomer for over 20 years so this is all a very hard pill to swallow. :cry:
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... I had it rustproofed every year..."

Is not the car rustproofed as made? Galvanized metal body panels, dipped in primers, doors and cavities sprayed with wax compounds, etc?

Is there any need to rustproof the car every year, and what does that include? Is that just spraying bituminous coating to the underside and wheel wells-- the old undercoating treatment?

And do Subarus have a rust problem if not undercoated every year?
    Well, I do it because of past Subarus I've owned. They rusted apart but were mechanically still fine. I didn't use Subaru's own rustproofing, but went instead to a local body shop that does an excellent job with undercoating. I brought the Forester straight there after buying it and did it again every fall since then. So the new owner will have an excellent body but a rebuilt engine! What a switch!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My Forester had less than 37,000 kms on it.

If it's your Forester then you should have the final say in whether to trade it in for something else! That's just my humble opinion, for what it's worth. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    and in my case it's my husband. Besides, he does have a point and I'm beginning to see it.
    he does have a point and I'm beginning to see it

Glad you can cause I'm not seeing it :P

FYI, all the car compaines have made great strides in the past few years in preventing rust (hence the long rust warranties) so annual rust-proofing isn't really needed. In fact, when applied incorrectly, it can actually cause rust by trapping moisture between the coating and the body panels.

-Frank
    Yup, undercoating these days causes more rust than it prevents due to the moisture trapping issue.

-mike
    "... past Subarus I've owned. They rusted apart..."

Is this a problem with Foresters? Maybe because so many are used in snowbelt states?
    She was refering to cars built well before the first Forester came out (1998). You really don't hear much about rusting problems any more.

-Frank
    joybell was referring to 80's and earlier cars, which all rusted out, post 80's cars are relatively rust free these days.

-mike
    Subaru is pondering a CVT, but it may take a while before we see it.

They have CVTs in some JDM models, like the tiny Stella.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's been hinted at that the next-generation (2010) Legacys and Outbacks will have a CVT.

Bob
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I guess tonight could be our Crew World Series party since last night's game make me think there's a slim chance the Series might not last until next Thursday! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I am now the proud owner of a 2008 Forester Premium in beautiful Newport Blue! I love the 6-disc player and the sunroof.

I bought it on Halloween and -- true story -- I was sitting at my desk at work and I thought, "I'm buying a car on Halloween - that's kinda spooky." So then a few minutes later I left work and got in my previous Forester to go home, and when I started it up and turned on the radio, the station was playing. . . spooky little girl like you. . . sooooooo. . . I nicknamed the new car Spooky.

Anyway, I've had it only a few days, and it's a pleasure to drive. I think Newport Blue is the best color Subaru has had in years.

What are some of your favorite Subaru colors?
  • ejb3232ejb3232 Member Posts: 2
    Hey mb789,
    Im in the process of buying a 2008 premium also for my wife. What did you end up paying for it?
    Congratulations on your new ride! The Newport Blue is indeed a nice color. My previous Forester was a 2-tone Blue Ridge Pearl over Titanium which I really liked.

As far as favorite Subaru colors I’ll address that in the Subaru Forester forum in order to get input from a larger audience.

-Frank
    Sweet - I love it when a car picks its own name.

Mine was Sandy after a drive on the beaches in the Outer Banks. Sand poured out from the undercarriage for what seemed like an eternity!
  • khoolkhool Member Posts: 8
    I had to ask if this is a common problem with post 2006 Foresters. The silver paint that is used on the center console (housing the stereo, air-con, etc.) is coming off - and I've barely had the car two years.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is really only on the ashtray cover (for now) - but I'm not a smoker and have hardly ever opened it.

Surely Subaru aren't that cheap with the materials. Having said that, I'm also noticing that the paint scratches and chips easily (Obsidian Black).
    We've heard people complain of thin paint. Since they stopped using solvent-based paints they just don't adhere as well. They don't harm the environment, though.
  • demeterdemeter Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 that is now 7 months old. The center console is the color you have and is already scratched.
    I have more of a problem with the cheap plastic that they use on the sides and glove box. It dents and scratches a little too easily. When I made a comment to customer service I was told that I should tie everything down so nothing shifts and I wouldn't have that problem.
    I got a similar response. Service is not one of Subaru's strong points mind you. In the two years I've had my car, it's gone back for warranty claims around 30 times. Many of which are repeat (2-3 times) to fix the same problem, or to fix a new problem caused by careless mechanics. Most of the issues have been with poor fit and finish - lots of creaks and rattles.
  • ejharaejhara Member Posts: 8
    Just a note to say how happy I am with this vehicle at 7500 miles--07 sports xt Forester 5 speed. It is fast (have to watch it or get in trouble), tight, and gets decent mileage (23 around town and 27 on highway). Power explodes in any gear, any speed. Have used mostly premium, but an occasional mid-range fill-up doesn't seem to hurt it. Sunroof is enormous, and a bargain. Am going to activate the Sirius soon--any advice? Service experiences have been good, as was my most recent buying experience. (Had to pay a documentation fee--big surprise.) This is our fourth Subaru, and it's easy to see why we see so many of them up here in Northern Michigan--great value, good mileage, excellent traction, and in the XT's case, reviewed well by both enthusiast magazines and CR. (That is a rare combination.)
    Congrats. Good to hear how happy you are with it.
    Well, I've had my Forester for 2 years now, and I must say, it has been the most disappointing purchase I've ever made.

From the very beginning the car has had multiple problems to do with fit and finish (rattles, squeaks and creaks), and poor service from the dealer (Docklands - Melbourne, Australia).

Easily over 30 trips back to the dealer, quite often needing 3-4 visits to fix the same problem. Twice I've had the dealer call me to offer to keep the car for 'as long as it takes' to go through and fix all the issues, and both times they've come nowhere near a permanent solution. I've been waiting almost 2 mths to have the latest issues fixed, seems their too busy to worry about warranty claims.

I've now resigned to the fact that the car is a bit of a lemon in this regard (the latest issue is an annoying creak in the dash when I brake hard) and have made the decision to sell it within the next 12 months.

After my experience, I will never touch Subaru again. And I certainly won't be recommending them to potential buyers.
    Some people obviously have a much lower tolerance for creaks and rattles than others but I can sympathize with your annoyance with both the squeaks and the dealer's inability to stop them. Having said that, proclaiming the car a lemon and swearing off ever buying another because of the fit of trim pieces seems a bit extreme. It's certainly your right but there are plenty of car owners who own real lemons who I'm sure would love to trade vehicles with you. After all, compared to having to replace an engine or transmission, a squeak in the dash, while annoying, doesn't affect the drivability or safety of the vehicle.

-Frank
    That's a bummer, sorry to hear about it.

What model did you get? I know the powertrains are different, is yours a 2.0l?

Though the Forester is only built in one plant (Gunma, Japan) and the interiors should be similar.
    I have the 2.5 litre XS Luxury (leather, sun roof, climate control, etc.).

The car drives beautifully, it's just not built well. They've had to resort to things like stuffing rags under the carpet to take up kinks, sliding foam between panels to stop rattles, and even using double sided tape to keep exterior panels from falling off.

What irks me even more is that the dealer has no sense of duty-of-care when they have the car. I've had entire panels re-sprayed due to dealer carelessness (scratches), kick panels replaced (the dealer broke one) and had to replace a window due to overspray from having a panel repaired (the one the dealer scratched).

Don't know about you, but when I spend $45K on a new car, I expect it to be of reasonable quality and I expect the dealers who service the car and are representative of the brand to have a reasonable standard of service and care factor.
    $45k Australian, I'm sure.

Of course, you have the right to expect a trouble-free car, at least for the most part.

Sorry to hear about your dealer. We pay high prices here where I live, but service is generally quite good.
    Perhaps you should switch dealers? This seems more of a dealer issue than a Subaru-specific issue.

-mike
    I got a 2008 LL Bean last week. I guess it like a non-US XS Luxury, with leather, big glass roof, climate control, automatic transmission. I have already put 800 miles on it and it is a joy to use. It has averaged 27 mpg in rural 2-lane driving.

There was one problem - an imperceptible glitch in an electric window. After some discussion, the dealer agreed with what I was hearing and feeling, and replaced the regulator. He did not have one in stock, and so took one out of another new car and installed it while I waited.
    an imperceptible glitch

And, yet, you perceived it! (Just kidding, of course.)

But seriously, did replacing the regulator fix the problem?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Did they switch to VW's supplier? ;)

Just kidding. Never seen that problem on a Subie before.
    " ... an imperceptible glitch. And, yet, you perceived it! (Just kidding, of course.) "

The full story....

I took a used 2006 manual for an extended 4-hour demo drive at one dealer (and filled it with $30 of gas). I told the dealer there was a glitch in the driver's window, but they said they could not notice it.

I rented a 2007 automatic from Avis for a day for another test drive, and the window was OK.

I went to another dealer and test drove a new 2008 LL Bean. I told that dealer the driver window had a glitch and I had seen it before. The salespeople could not detect it. I went into the showroom trying other car's windows and they were all OK.

I decided to buy that LL Bean IF the window was OK. The dealer had the Service Dept take the door apart and they could not see anything wrong so they greased the track and I was told all was well. I took delivery and the window still had the glitch.

Yes, the glitch was imperceptible to several salespeople and to the initial service people. This is because they were standing beside the open door working the button with a finger. Over the ambient noise of traffic and shop, they could not hear the momentary fraction of a second graunchy sound as the window rose up. And because they were not driving the car with their arm resting on the armrest, they could not feel the simultaneous momentary graunchy vibration in the door. As soon as I showed the Service Manager how to listen and feel, he immediately said "bad regulator". The window is now perfect.

A regulator that felt like that would not have cured itself. It would have been a constant irritant, undoubtedly growing worse. The window would become clunky. At some point it would become noticeable to anybody - maybe in months, maybe in years. I could not wait that long.
    Thanks for the clarification. Glad you got that fixed!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.