Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Forester Owners - Give Us Your Report!

1235»

Comments

• dcwestbydcwestby Member Posts: 29
    I've got nearly 2k miles on the forester now. my only concern really is a bad front license plate mount for the right side of the front plate. the screws all the way in, but it doesnt tighten up like it should [and like the left side does], it just keeps turning. Any ideas? cause the plates are special state plates that are very cool and nice looking. and it would really settle my mind if all screws tightened well.

One thing I'm not sure of is checking tire pressure, does it need to be done every month or two? I've always had a tendency to keep the tire tester on the air valve too long, so generally, I figure 5-10 seconds of air a tire every two months or so will be fine. Opinions or advice?
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    My advice is to get yourself a tire pressure gauge, which is inexpensive, and have someone show you how to use it properly. Once you get the knack, it's very easy to do. Then, check your tires regularly (at least once per month, preferably more often). Check them when they are cold, before driving the car. Add (or delete) air as needed. Be advised that tire pressures change by approximately 1 PSI for each 10 degree change in the temperature. When it gets colder outside, the pressure drops, and when it gets hot, the pressure goes up. Keeping your tires properly inflated is very important for safety, gas mileage and long tire life.

Best of luck with your Forester!

Len
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I concur with Leo!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fyrecherdofyrecherdo Member Posts: 7
    I have an 07 Forester xt ...stock...would like to hear opinions of recommended "mild" mods to the engine...don't like "loud" exhaust but cannot hear the engine rev...too quiet...thanks, Richard
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    SPT Exhaust is a good choice for a catback, any STi or WRX one should fit.

As for engine mods, other than that there isn't a whole lot I would recommend at least not until first modifying several things in this order:

1) Tires- Single easiest mod to do and the most powerful mod that yields the best results.
    2) Brakes- Upgraded pads to Hawk HPs or HP+, SS Lines, Good brake flush with ATE Superblue fluid
    3) Driver- Modify the driver by attending an HPDE event where you learn advanced car control from an onboard instructor, this mod is able to be transferred to any car you are driving and not only improves enjoyment but safety as well.
    4) Suspension- Springs (Eibach Prokit are good) coupled with either KYB AGX struts or Koni sport inserts will give you significantly better control while retaining a stock-like ride.

Once you have done all that, then and only then would I suggest "power" mods for any subaru.

-mike
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    >>Eibach Prokit are good coupled with either KYB AGX struts or Koni sport inserts will give you significantly better control while retaining a stock-like ride. <<

WILL these really retain a stock like ride? No increase in harshness? Are you sure? After putting KYBs on Honda Del Sol Si the ride simultaniously got harsher & had a bit of float in it - I was not happy with that & have been reluctant to modify struts or spings since

How do they affect the ride height?

What about the STi larger, solid rear sway bar? Or or those already on 07 XTs?
  • fyrecherdofyrecherdo Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info.....I agree with you about the "Driver Mods".... Although I'm not in the mindset to "race" the car it's nice to improve on current skills....CHP offers training to firefighters with regards to operation of Fire Apparatus and safer "code" driving.. As far as exhaust I have read that the STi exhaust is NOT offered for the Forester and that the fit is a little different....Any opinions on the Cobb System? Thanks, Richard
  • bayarea_s40bayarea_s40 Member Posts: 19
    My '07 Sports XT automatic now has about 34,000 miles on it. Last week I changed out the four OEM Yoko Geolanders for Yoko Avids (same size), plus had the the wheels aligned and balanced. My early impression is that my MPG has dropped a bit. Where I was getting 22-23 mpg overall, I now seem to be getting around 19-20 mpg. Will increasing the tire pressure possibly increase mileage. I don't want go as high as the stated max psi of 40, but I'm thinking about 37-38 psi.

Opinions and expertise are welcome!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Other than assorted creaks from dashboard, a misaligned drivers door and a few other minor things, the '09 XT I'm driving's shaping up as good for a first year model. Mileage is not great at 20 mpg (mix of city and country driving), but engine and transmission are responsive, seats comfortable, ride and handling good. A very practical vehicle, though the interior could use some nicer plastics and a few more built-in cargo nets (the latter's something Chevrolet got right with the Maxx).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Do you have any of the 3 nets for the cargo area?

We ordered ours with nets on both sides.
  • bayarea_s40bayarea_s40 Member Posts: 19
    I've got the three nets, plus the the rubber(?) fitted mat for for cargo area floor. Saves cleaning mud and other gunk from the floor's fabric! :shades:
    We ordered that liner, too. And the cargo cover, and mud flaps.
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    Just wanted to introduce myself if you havn't seen me post.

Just got a new Sage Green 09 Forester AT Premium PZEV. It's got wheel arch moldings, sport grill, spoiler, cross bars, rear bumper cover, splash gaurds.

Been lots of fun so far even though only 200 miles :)
    Looks like Subaru shipped the cars before the parts. Getting Subaru Door Protectors (lengthwise body colored protective strips) takes a month or more. Hopefully my subie will remain undinged until they arrive.
    Congrats, that sounds sweet.

I liked the green, but my wife has had 2 green cars in a row, so she opted for Blue.
  • tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    KMG are you installing the moldings or the dealer? What did they cost?.. Have you changed your mind on a 1st. year model ?
    dealer's doing it but parts are back ordered.
    other than dash/headliner squeaks, Subaru seems to have done good job with '09 forester, better than other 1st year'ers I've owned.
    Got my VON, so I called SoA to find out how I can track it from production to delivery. Hope to hear back from them soon. :shades:
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    Nice to hear you like your new car. Had you looked at other vehicles to compare before you bought this? If yes, why did you choose the Forester over the others?
    We are looking at a Turbo Forester, Rav4, and RDX.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!
    My observations for what they are worth (your mileage may differ :) )

Rav4V6 had nice engine and decent seats, but sluggish transmission, heavy-feeling handling, was noisy on Oregon roads, Fit/finish in back felt cheap, rear door promised to get in way of loading/unloading, no rear bumper. One advantage is it burns regular gas. With same options as Forester XT came out more expensive. Weak AWD compared to Subaru and others suggested I keep looking.

At auto shows and dealer walkthru, interiors felt cold and angular, though seating was good. At least $3000 more than Forester. Mileage is worse than Forester, and engine seems typical Honda (it lives for revs). Reading several reviews claiming RDX has harsh noisy ride , and only one Acura dealer nearby who came up medicore in BBB ratings, said it was time to move on.
    I love the 2GR V6, in fact I bought a Sienna and the engine was a big reason.

The RAV4 has the wrong-way swing out door that blocks the curb side, and poor visibility.

Honestly I preferred the Sienna. You can even get AWD. If you go with a Toyota at least sample the Sienna. Much more room, same price, nicer inside, power sliders, etc.

I know, I know, it's a minivan. We love ours.

We also have an 09 Forester on order. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.