Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• lpmillerlpmiller Member Posts: 27
    I've noticed about a drop of 1-2mpg in the last month, but Minnesota mandates 'winter gas' from October to January, so I'm guessing it's just the added ethanol in the tank causing the drop. My Forrester would always drop 3mpg with winter gas.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    I have noticed a drop as well as the temperatures are lower now and we started using winterized gas. I live in Canada. This is normal though, and I have experienced it in my previous car as well.
  • xyz123xyz123 Member Posts: 18
    lpmiller, jkobty2,

We also have winter gas over here, and it can decrease the mpg. A 3 mpg drop sounds pretty drastic. I forgot when it kicks in over here. My friend used to own a gas station, and he mentioned October or November. Hopefully you guys are right, and it's the formulation that's making a difference.

Lpmiller, did you get rid of your Forrester and get the 6 to replace it?
  • xyz123xyz123 Member Posts: 18
    Hi chriso7,

I happened to push on the middle of both sides. I didn't know it was such a specific movement. Hopefully it's within acceptable tolerances so it doesn't rattle your bulb to death. For what it's worth, my other Mazda had fogs lights that also felt a bit springy and loose. I only know this because I wanted to replace one of them when it burned out. But it was too difficult, since I had to get under the car (plus I was too lazy).
  • chriso7chriso7 Member Posts: 34
    Hi xyz123,

I'm sorry, I did not explain it very well on my last post either.

It is the furthest most right hand-side of the passenger lamp, anywhere between the middle to bottom vertically. That is where most of the movement occurs when pushed.

yes, it does not seem very easy to access.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Does anyone know what the EPA's "city" testing actually involves?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

I would guess downtown Chicago is worse than what they use in the EPA test. The CR city test might be more applicable to you, they always come up with astoundingly low (to me) city mpg numbers.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Do you have the 4 cyl or V6?

According to Edmunds 20,000 miles test of the Accord, they got an average of 21mpg. The Mazda6 V6 is not that far off.
    I replaced the Forrester....I had a lease that was up. As much as I loved it, I kind of wanted to drive a car again, fell in love with the 6, and to be honest, really don't like the looks of the new Forrester. I know I'm going to miss that AWD come snow storms, but I just had to have the 6.
    i should mention that yeah, 3MPG is pretty drastic, but that model year Forrester was notorious for not liking winter gas. When I first got it - which was in the heart of winter - I was getting 17mpg on it, and it took till summer to get to a steady 23/25mpg. Then it would be 25 summer, 22/23 winter, consistently.
  • kodac81kodac81 Member Posts: 3
    I have driven the Chevy Malibu, Mercury Milan, and Mazda 6. They are all fine cars but the Mazda can do one key thing better - it turns much tighter. That is sort of a big deal for me.
  • darkmanrob85darkmanrob85 Member Posts: 30
    Mazda sent me a model of the my car, 09 Mazda 6 s Touring, because I was one of the first 500 people to buy one.

Did anyone else get one? :confuse:
  • crasht51crasht51 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, I got one. I bought mine the first week in Sept., a Silver i GT with Bose/Moonroof and Navi. Loving it so far.
  • snoopy316snoopy316 Member Posts: 12
    I got one in the mail yesterday too..
    2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring black/black.

• cjericcjeric Member Posts: 23
    I was looking for the i Grand Touring that included the moonroof + bose package and I got the following online quote from the local dealer:

Sales price: $25,900
    Invoice:$25,922
    MSRP: $28,340

I had a similar (close to invoice) quote for the i Touring as well and I was wondering if you think these are good deals or if it's possible to pay less than invoice. I noticed someone else had paid about $1,000 less than invoice, so I wanted to know what you think.
  • wendavid9wendavid9 Member Posts: 1
    I get my i touring with manual tran, conn and moonroof packages about a month ago. In Chicago area, the best quote I had was from wilkins mazda and I bought the car from them.

MSRP: $25745
    quote: $22745

additional $500 rebate by using mazda pref customer gift card.
    Aw man, I bought mine aug 31, I want one!
    did anyone NOT get the auto dimming mirror, then install it later? I'm finding after years of having that on my subaru, I'm REALLY missing it and want it installed, but wondering if I could just do it myself or should I have the dealer do it?
  • dman24dman24 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have the iPod Integration Module installed in their 6? The dealers don't have any information about it. Does it display the information on the screen where the temp/radio is if you don't have the nav? How does it sound? I have an aftermarket stereo in my car that can control the iPod and displays the songs on the screen. Also, do you know if it is compatible with the 2nd generation iPod Touch? Thanks for the info.
  • jxc11jxc11 Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue with Sirius Satellite.

I have the 6 S GT, moon/Bose, and Navigation.. Noticed that when I have AM, FM, my Zune, or a CD playing, everything is fine. But when I turn on the satellite, there is an audible sound of feedback. It's not extreme, but to combat it, you must turn the volume above 45.

I'm thinking it's a wiring problem somewhere, and I'm just wondering if I wait to tell the dealer about until I get my first service or should I bring it to their attention ASAP? Also, if anyone has had the same issue, were you able to correct it?

Otherwise, the car drives great.. Although I'm still getting used to the transmission which seems at times somewhat sluggish, but other times is barely noticeable.
    Hey everyone-

I had the opportunity to tour Auto Alliance International, the plant that manufacturers the NA Mazda6 and it was a great experience.

The plant was actually dark (non operational for the week), so I got to actually look very closely to how the Mazda6 is built and see the quality check processes that take place, and there are a lot of quality check points. Something I found interesting was that the majority of the parts used, outside of the body, come from Japan.

There happen to be a group of Mazda people there doing something. They were Japanese speaking in Japanese, so I assumed they were engineers or people of importance.

Many of you know, Ford builds the Mustang there too. They are built on the same line. For every Mustang built, there are 4 Mazda6's built. I got to see first hand the production of the first 2010 Mustangs, including the Shelby's. They were pre-production models. Never the less, it was cool to see them up close. They are much nicer then the current model.

No pics were allowed, for obvious reasons.

It was a great experience, I just thought I would share with you!
  • trinitywolftrinitywolf Member Posts: 8
    jxc11, I have a 09' 6 I GT with Bose and I have not had any problem with the Satellite sound. No feedback at all.
  • musicman5musicman5 Member Posts: 9
    I have also noticed a very slight "distortion" when listening to Sirrius. It isn't enough to be overly annoying, but not as clear as FM. My signal also goes in/out frequently (which I find more annoying). I probably will not renew when my free year is up, as I don't have a far drive to work, and we get more than enough good stations in the Philadelphia area.
    I paid $1,000 under invoice for the S GT w/Bose and Nav. You shouldn't have to pay more than invoice, dealer gets $500 +/- for holdback, so even under invoice they still make a profit. Mazda sales are down 35% in November, and the sales of the Mazda 6 were down 3.5% alone. They are not selling well, have you seen any one the road? Tell them you want 0% and $1,500 under invoice and negotiate up from there. Make sure you do your research before going in to negotiate. Try and get a few other dealers to send you quotes, then take the lowest quote in and show your "hand" if you need to. Go at the end of the month near closing time and deal with the person in authority (manager) not the salesperson. Even, if the dealer takes a "loss" (which is not likely) the car will be on the road giving free advertising to the dealership. Don't forget a car is a commodity. Each dealer pays the same amount for the car, so if your dealer won't deal- go elsewhere.
    Mazda sales are down 35% in November, and the sales of the Mazda 6 were down 3.5% alone. They are not selling well

Honda, Toyota, Nissan are also down. Let's keep things in perspective here and not make it sound like the Mazda6 is "not selling". That is just not true. The current economic situation is dictating the market.

Tell them you want 0% and $1,500 under invoice and negotiate up from there.

Well, 0% for 36 months is offered to everyone. You get it no matter what as long as you are credit worthy. Remember, a 36 month term carries a hefty payment. In this tough economic time, not many people can afford to have a large car payment.

As a potential buyer, always get the lowest price you can. Give it your all.

Mazda is not paying out volume bonuses for meeting sales objectives for December. Dealer profit amount has decreased.

Just out of curiosity, if you do get $1,500 below invoice, and the dealer gives up the $500 holdback, the dealer is now $1,000 under true cost. How are they still making money? Mazda is not paying out volume bonuses and dealers are not paid on the special financing rates. Where do dealers make profit on this car now? You seem to know, so I would like to know specifics?
    satellite is not as clear as FM, and you can get distortion at times. If the signal is going in and out a lot though, that implies a bad antenna or bad module, unless you live in an area where the sky is frequently blocked.
    i've actually seen two in the past 3 days, one an exact clone of mine. That was really surreal after not seeing any in 3 months.

You haven't seen any because mazda does not sell in the numbers that honda and toyota does. The 6 has never sold anywhere near as many cars as the accord or Camrey, so not seeing any of a new model 3 months after launch is not really all that odd.

Considering everyone is down about 30-40 percent, they are selling very well for the climate. I know my dealer was telling me they were doing fairly steady business on them.
    I was told by the finance manager who did my closing, that the dealership took about a $150 loss on the vehicle. So, if I paid $1,000 under invoice, there must be some other monies that the dealer receives in addition to holdback. Why would the dealership take a loss on a vehicle? Perhaps for one or more of the following reasons: 1)The car is on the road for other potential car buyers to see; 2) a satisfied customer was created that was new to Mazda and this dealership,and I might be inclined to send potential buyers to this dealership; 3) it removes a car from the lot that has perhaps been sitting for several months. At least that is what I was told when I asked the finance manager why they took a loss on my vehicle.
    I was told by the finance manager who did my closing, that the dealership took about a $150 loss on the vehicle

I dunno about that. Did you take advantage of the 0%?

1)The car is on the road for other potential car buyers to see; 2) a satisfied customer was created that was new to Mazda and this dealership,and I might be inclined to send potential buyers to this dealership; 3) it removes a car from the lot that has perhaps been sitting for several months. At least that is what I was told when I asked the finance manager why they took a loss on my vehicle.

When you start taking about that, those are key factors in generating potential future business, and does not play a factor into direct profit of the sale that just took place. All those things you mention are what a dealer does strive for. Really, repeat business and referrals are the way to stay in business, amongst other factors.

The thing about these Mazda6's are that they have not sat for long. The average car sits in inventory for around 90-150 days, which is the industry average. Considering that the car has only been out for little over 90 days, that's not bad at all. After spending last week in MI at a Mazda function, MNAO is thus far very pleased with Mazda6 sales, considering this rough economic time.
  • pats1fanpats1fan Member Posts: 18
    Picked up my GT 2009 Mazda 6 in October with a promise that my remote start would be installed when I picked up the car. I was given the run around about how the part wasnt' completely made, and that I would have to wait a couple of weeks. 2 months later, and still no remote start (which was part of the total vehicle purchase, and not an after thought). I was told by Mazda that there is a "technical issue" and that there will be an additional delay. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience, or if they were able to have one installed?
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Yes my niece also bought the remote starter when she puchased her car, and she is still getting the run-around. She bought the car in early October and now we are in December and still no remote starter.
    pats1fan & jkobty2-

The remote start is available, at least in the North East, for the push button start equipped Mazda6's only. There is a wiring harness needed for Mazda6's not equipped with the push button start, and that part is on national back order with no ETA. I hope that helps!
    That is interesting information because I am in the North East, and they claim they have the parts. Calling Mazda gets no results because the best they can do is call the salesman to ask him what the problem is (after I tell them what the problem is). Also, the claim is that it is the push button start system is the issue and if I had a keyed system I would be all set.
    That's incorrect. I would get on the phone with your dealer.

Part #0000-8F-Z23 (wiring harness) and C900-V7-629A (hood switch) are the parts on national back order and are parts required for the non-push button Mazda6's.
    One phone call to Mazda again last night, and suddenly the part no longer has a technical issue. I was told to "expect a call" for installation, but of course did not get one. I am sure there will be resolution tomorrow when I become one with the dealership. Thanks for the help.
  • yankeekm91yankeekm91 Member Posts: 15
    I've had my 09 Mazda 6i Touring for about 2 months now and I've put a little bit more than 700 miles on it (not much, I know). Anyways, I've been getting like 14 - 15 mpg with nearly 100% city driving. The EPA estimate is 21 with the range for most drivers being 17 - 23. Why am I getting such low numbers? Any help would be appreciated
  • trinitywolftrinitywolf Member Posts: 8
    I am still only getting 19 mpg mixed driving after 1,500 miles with my i GT. Not good but I love love love the car. Now it gets like 30 on the highway but this engine seems to not like city driving mpg wise.
  • chriso7chriso7 Member Posts: 34
    Consumer Reports rates car MPG on a city, highway and mixed trip simulation. Unlike the EPA, they actually drive the cars. Their ratings tend to have City numbers lower than EPA no matter which car it is. One thing is for sure, they keep the drive course and manner of running the test consistent.

The rating for the 2009 6i is 15mpg city (same as 4cly Accord) and I believe 35 highway, with a mixed trip bring 24mpg. For instance the Altima 4cyl 2008/9 gets one of the highest for this class 18mpg City.
    The engine is not broken in yet. You need 3,000 to 5,000 miles on it before you will see optimum FE.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    This is the exact model / package that I am interested in purchasing. How do you like the manual transmission? Haven't had a manual for many years, and thought I would like to get one again, which will also come in handy to teach my current 14 year old how to drive a manual car when she is ready (age 16 in Maryland).

Currently have a 07 Camry - 4 cylinder with automatic, which is an OK car, but certainly feels like I am driving a toaster ---- uninspiring and boring.

Does the car really have the Zoom Zoom thing?
    Does the car really have the Zoom Zoom thing?

Compared to your Camry. Yes. Not to disrespect what you own, but the Camry cannot hold a candle to the Mazda6 in terms of pure drivability.

Ask a 1st gen Mazda6 owner, and he/she may say the Mazda6 has lost a bit of "zoom-zoom", but, there is still no doubt that the 2009 is far sportier then anything else out there.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    Check out the revised 3.0 PIP in the 2010 FULAN. If you convert the numbers between engine displacement the two are competitive against one another. I wish the new 6 would have gone the route the update FULAN is going. I strongly suspect the new Fusion will be my ride if I see some sign they will make it through the current "crisis."
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I wouldn't worry about Ford, the crisis really seems to be just at GM and Chyrsler.
    Not as much zoom zoom as my wifes 08 - the 8 bites into corners quicker and just feels a little faster, though in a straight 0-60 I can just take her. But it's still very sporty and zoomy. Lot of punch on the hwy.
    I wish the new 6 would have gone the route the update FULAN is going

I'm glad they didn't. IMO, offering 2 V6's is dumb and a 240hp V6 is too weak to compete with the Japanese brands. This is going to cause complications for Ford dealers when they are ordered. How do they know which will sell better? 3.0 or 3.5? Giving the customer too many options causes headaches for dealers and the manufacturer. It also costs more in R&D as well. Dumb dumb dumb.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Sign of the times? A friend living in Colorado Springs who takes his Mazda3 to the dealership for service had his sales rep tell him the dealership sold 7 vehicles in November. Normal monthly sales results -- 70.
    Ouch! Our sales are down too, but not nearly that bad. It's no secret the auto industry is in the toilet.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    That was my reaction too. Maybe the New Year will bring everyone a new outlook, and....sales! Mazda has terrific product -- no reason they shouldn't rebound. I'm in higher ed, and we're just hoping students will continue to come to college.
    For those still looking to purchase a new Mazda 3 or 6, I just received an email from a Philadelphia Mazda dealer stating that Mazda is now offering below invoice and 0% on these models.
    I just received an email from a Philadelphia Mazda dealer stating that Mazda is now offering below invoice and 0% on these models.

I think you meant the "dealer" is offering below invoice, not Mazda. Either way, good news if you live in that area.
    Mazda does have a great product, and Mazda Motor Co. has a great future. The owner of our store is hurting, like every other owner. We just keep telling ourselves we just need to wait it out until spring. We think things should turn around by then.

I'm the ISM of my store, so, all I deal with is Internet traffic, which has still been pretty heavy. It's the showroom traffic that has really slimmed out.