Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• SeegarzSeegarz Member Posts: 11
    I've owned 2 Honda Accords (89 Lxi, 02 SE). i thought the 6i Touring was a nice sporty change vs the 09 Accord. I bought it in February and I think i made a mistake. i've had two mechanical issues so far. The right front bumper kept popping off and the alarm kept defaulting to valet. now, after 10,000 miles, the check engine light just came on. I've only had two oil changes since. what a mess. you will not get the reliability that you've grown accustomed with a Honda.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    I have had my 09 6s GT for a year now (13K miles) and I haven't had any such problems so far. Of course it's too early to compare to our camry we had for about 10 years. The camry had pretty much no issues for about 7-8 years, except for the stupid check engine light that kept coming on and off which we ignored. But the drive was so mind numbing to me (my wife didn't mind it) I was pretty much waiting for the day to get rid off the camry. Now I enjoy my Mazda6 everyday, I'm impressed at how well it handles for a midsize/large family sedan at this price point. The more aggressive I drive it the more I enjoy it. BTW, I recently drove my friend's 09 accord, definitely better driving experience than the camry but no where close to the Mazda6.
    Regarding sheer reliability - only time will tell for me. I doubt it will be as reliable as the camry, but as long as it's just one or two minor things here and there I would take the Mazda6 absolutely anyday compared to a camry or accord.
  • SmartBuyer_SmartBuyer_ Member Posts: 3
    I have had the Mazda 6i GT with Bose + Nav. ($32k after taxes and all fees) since 11-29-08, it now has 7500 miles and has been great.

I had not had any real problem till this week:

- Hear a slight squeek from my serp. belt, when shift is on D.
    - My front left shock also has developed a squeek. (Once and a while when getting off the car - I weight 200 lbs.)
    - My A/C is not working.

I haven't been able to take the car in since I will be needing it for the next 3 weeks. Aside from that the car has been great, crazy the pull you get from this 4 cyl engine.
  • humblestudenthumblestudent Member Posts: 3
    What is the highest number that you've cranked the Bose volume up to?

I had it at 25 and wasnt sure how far it goes up. Anyone know off the top of their heads? I read the owner's manual but it didnt say.
  • snoopy316snoopy316 Member Posts: 12
    I Always listen to my Bose between 45 and 50. I believe it goes up to 56. Then it say "vol max".
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    You can easily listen to it at 50 with clear, distortion free sound.

I have been slightly dissappointed with this stereo as its base response is not what I would expect from a Bose system with subwoofer. The factory system in my Dodge Ram has twice the base though is lacking in mid-range power.
  • mazda6hyymazda6hyy Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I have a 2009 Mazda6 iGT, currently 13k miles and bought in Nov 2008. I experienced gas pedal vibration last Wednesday night when I was going 60-65 miles on Hwy, it lasted about 2-3 mins. When I released the gas pedal, my speed didn't reduce and car became very noisy. RPM stayed 2000-2500 I think. The next day morning on the way to work, I heard a very loud "bam", "clunk" from my car. I thought I was hit by some flying object, but when I arrived work, couldn't find any damage anywhere. I googled it and scheduled warranty service for this morning since I had to be out of town for a few days. I went in for service this morning, just now the service advisor called and said they could not duplicate any problem and could not find anything faulty. I am very upset and scared. I told them oh did you check this and that I found online, they said they can't because it's not my model but CX-7 and Hummer H3. Then I said, how about the "accelerator linkage" my cousin suggested, they said oh no, it doesn't indicate its the cause so if they open it up, Mazda will probably not cover the warranty! I did not understand why they said that, they are the authorized dealer! Any advice is highly appreciated! :cry:
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    While I was at the mazda dealership for an oil change, I was looking around the new Mazda3's. I noticed that they have a thick firewall (gray fire retardant layer similar to the one on the inside of the hood).
    My 2009 Mazda6 seems to have nothing in the center firewall area, only small pieces on the side. I am wondering if it is correct this way or if they forgot to install it while the car was being built. Can someone with the 4 Cyl 2009 mazda6 please check their firewall area and let me know. Thanks
    Sounds to me like a transmission issue. I remember having a similar issue with a rental Ford Focus while driving from LA to Las Vegas. The car went crazy and started accelerating on its own even though my foot was off the gas pedal, then the engine light came on, and it would only shift into second gear.
    Thanks. I think so too. But dealer (Oaktree) claimed they test drove and checked entire car, but couldn't duplicate the problem and everything looks great after the examination. Honestly, I've been driving the car for 10+ months, 13k+ miles, I am certain it behaved erotically those 2 times. Although I purchase extended warranty (Up to 5 yr, 75k mi), if they can't really pinpoint the problem, really not much benefit from getting the extended warranty. Oh well, I have swapped the car with hubby ever since and he has not experienced anything wrong with it. Let's pray the problem will never show up again!! (After all, SAFETY is most important, $$ second.) I've been telling everyone how great this car is and I visited auto.yahoo.com every now and then to see other peoples reviews. Mostly satisfied happy owners and I "used to be" one of them......
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I've been driving the car for 10+ months, 13k+ miles, I am certain it behaved erotically those 2 times.

Only twice in 10 months, that's sad.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    There's just so much material here, I'm not sure where to start.

It is a Mazda 6, known for its...

Stick shift? Firm handling? Zoom Zooms? A big trunk?

:shades:
    SO SORRY. Erotically...Mis-used the word. Meant to say it has ERROR.
    Can someone tell me how to edit my previous posting? Thanks......... :blush:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Making fun of a new member is certainly not the community thing to do. Obviously he meant erratically. As it happens, his first language is not English and it's an understandable mistake; the two words sound very similar.

Do either of you have anything helpful to offer? Or perhaps an apology?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    "Can someone tell me how to edit my previous posting?"

You only get a limited amount of time to go back and edit. You will see "Save | Reply | Edit | Delete" to the right in the title bar of recent posts. Once the time for editing expires you will see only "Save | Reply" there.

Don't worry about it, anyone reading it knew you meant "erratically".
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    I have successfully paired my HTC Mogul phone (Sprint) with my 6i GT via Bluetooth. However I have never been able to import the phone book using the Import Phonebook command.

Anyone else having the same problem? My phone is among those listed on the mazdahandsfree.com website as being supported for Bluetooth headset and Bt Audio. All other phone functions work flawlessly.

On the same site I found buried in the FAQs (THIS SHOULD BE LISTED IN THE MANUAL that comes with the car) that the phone book must not contain more than 1,000 contacts. So I deleted a ton of contacts that I am not likely to call anyways and got the list down to around 500 contacts. But the import phonebook hangs (well I lost my patience after about 3 minutes).

I even unpaired and re-paired but it continues to show the same behavior.

I can't believe they charge $2,000 for this nav and still don't get this to work right.

Any suggestions? Please email me.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Do you have a large number of entries in your cell phone address book? I initially had trouble syncing my address book. I went through my phone and cleaned out the old, duplicate, and needless entries. It seemed like it was timing out or something during the download. After clean up, I was able to sync my address book on the next try. I don't know what the magic number of entries is and don't recall seeing it in a handbook.
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Yes, per my post, the max # of phone book entries is supposed to be 1,000 (per www.mazdahandsfreee.com). I went through the exercise of pruning my phone book but it still won't sync.

And I can't add entries to the voice dial phone book either. It says "phone book is full", but when I ask it to list the entries, it says "phone book is empty". I guess it's time to call Mazda?
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    There is a service bulletin to address the problem I reported. It's: SB 01-051/08

This just got done on my 09 GT 6s and it has indeed addressed the problem. There are 6 different parts that needed to be replaced as part of this SB and my dealership had to order them first. But finally this annoying noise is gone and in fact now the engine "sounds" smoother when starting from idle :D
  • weathergirlweathergirl Member Posts: 35
    Hi All!

I bought my Black 09 Mazda 6i Touring just over a year ago. Still in love with it! I am just shy of 21,000 miles (how did that happen so fast?!). I have a question for those of you who are more mechanically inclined. When I am driving at a low speed (in a parking lot or going up my driveway) and step on the brake to come to a complete stop, I hear a noise. It's metallic, seems to be coming from the front end and sounds like a "clank" or "clunk". Kind of like two metal plates coming into contact. It doesn't do it every time I stop, and it never does it at highway speeds or in street traffic. I've asked the service guys to check the brakes and investigate this noise a couple of times. They say everything looks fine. Last week when I was in for an oil change, I asked the service manager to check it again. Without hearing the noise, he said it was being caused by a "pad shift." Something about a gap between the brake pads and whatever they come into contact with (I can't remember exactly what part he said). He also said it's completely normal and after checking the brake system, he said everything is just fine. My boyfriend (who is enough of a mechanic to work on his own car) says he's never heard of it and he doesn't believe the service guy.

Are any of you 09 Mazda 6 drivers experiencing this noise? Does anyone know what "pad shift" is? Did he just make this up?

Thanks! :)
    weathergirl,

Interesting name! I worked for a local weather team at our ABC affiliate for a while - big weather nerd here!

Regarding pad-shift, I'm actually familiar with what the dealer was talking about. I have an '06 Accord, and my dad had an '03 and an '05 (all are basically the same design). When backing up, I hear a metallic "click" or "pop" noise when applying the brake. When applying the brake once moving forward again, you hear it "click" back into place. My dealer explained to me that this is a "floating caliper" design. While I don't understand the purpose, I do understand the method of how this works. Its almost like the adjustable wrench, that you can slide one way or another to make it open wider. Once it "pops" forward or backward, it doesn't do it again until you apply the brake while moving the other direction.

I've got 53k miles on my '06 and have never had an issue with the brakes, despite the consistent "pop" in situations I've described. Odd, but never problematic; I have the original pads and rotors, and have never experienced problems when panic braking (using Anti-Lock and all). Don't worry too much about this; I'm not a Mazda guy, but I don't believe that the dealer is leading you astray - they just don't know how to describe it well; I doubt I made a whole lot of sense either!

Hope you continue liking your 6; my girlfriend wants one in Sangria Red!
  • weathergirlweathergirl Member Posts: 35
    thegraduate,

Thank you so much for your explanation of Pad Shift! I am relieved to hear that other cars do actually do this and that your brakes continued to work normally. I will be sure to pass along your description to my also-skeptical boyfriend and do some follow up research on the topic. I'll also try not to squint suspiciously at the service manager anymore. :)

I hope your girlfriend gets her dream car! I have no regrets with mine. Thanks again!
    I don't know how many other cars do this, but in the previous generation of Accord, I've never heard of issues coming from this. Sorry for butting in on the wrong brand of car's forum with my Honda story, everyone!

:)
  • 626gt626gt Member Posts: 15
    600 miles on it. 2 days after delivery, driving on Rt1@ 40 mph in 4,5,or even 6th gear, light foot on pedal as in traffic. Engine will occasionally hesitate,skip a little. not a full sputter just enough hesitation to feel it in car. Also seems to happen more when cold and sometimes when cresting or entering a hill. I think it's either defect or design flaw in drive by wire/throttle. Mazda tech admits it's there but says it's within normal specs. Anyone else w/manual notice this or have issue?. another mazda owner had pedal replaced & noticed 95% improvement. So far dealer & mazda not offering to fix or even admit it's problem. Ruins a great driving car. & I've had 2 prior mazdas both w/ manuals - lasted 10+ each & over 115K miles on them so I'm used to clutch etc.
    Could it be when the Air Conditioner compressor kicks on? I can feel it in both of my 4-cylinder Hondas. It isn't noticeable to most, but when cruising in higher gears at steady speeds, you'll notice a slight (VERY slight) loss of power and you can even see the tachometer drop a smidge as the additional load of the compressor drags down the engine speed for a split-second, before it balances back out.

Just a thought.

I'd try it with and without A/C on; see if it stops when the A/C isn't running. With a GT model I'm assuming you have Automatic Climate Control, which if like Honda, runs the A/C whether or not cool air is needed.

I hope this is what you're feeling!

:)

Happy Hondaing Zoom Zoom! :D

TheGrad
  • branjessbranjess Member Posts: 5
    I occasionally have the same problem. When it happens it occurs only once per day in the morning during the first 3 minutes of operation as I slowly accelerate. It would definetly bother me also if it happened all the time. There are so few manual transmission cars out there a tsb may be slow in coming and I hope your dealer figures it out. When you get an answer please post it.Good luck.
    Thanks for the insight folks. I can say it's not the AC as I've purposely shut the fan, ac etc. off to be sure. Also it does seem a little worse when outside temp low but it still happens through out the course of a drive and not just when engine or air temp are low.
  • sirius1sirius1 Member Posts: 11
    I have an 09 mazda6 2.5, M that I've had for a little over a month. 1,600 miles on it now. I have a hesitation/miss/skip when cruising @35-50 mph. It is random and unpredictable. So far I have not been able to demonstrate it to the dealer- but they haven't really been trying very hard to find it either. I have put the car in the hands of an independent car-care professional so that I can get a verification that the problem exists. Add me to the list in case anyone figures this one out.
    I"ve noticed that mine seems to occur when starting to go up or starting to go down or cresting a hill. I'm going back to Mazda for a solution one more time before I go to other options. I'll let you know what I find out - please share your results as well.
    Thanks for your reply, 626qt. I was trying to keep my first post uncomplicated- in addition to the noticable random hesitation at cruise I too also experience it when starting up- usually in 2nd or 3rd gear- when the clutch has been engaged fully and you just begin to depress the accerator. The only pattern that has held up is that if it doesn't happen on the first couple of start-ups in the morning it's probably not going to happen at cruise.
    Anyone else out there with this problem?
    I have posted this on several other Mazda forums to see if I was the only one with this issue. I'm starting to get some replies so I wonder if there is a bad component that's common in the various cars. Obviously this maybe a small # given sales and manuals in the sales totals but at some point this week I may connect with you via email to see if/how we can coordinate with others to present this to Mazda. I've had my car 2+ weeks and I can only remember one day when this was not an issue at some point in the day. (it happened to be a warm day close to 70 here in New England)
    I've had my car for about 6 weeks now and cannot remember a day when the problem has not been an issue. I now have a letter from my mechanic verifying that the problem exists (remember that the dealer has not yet been able to demonstrate the problem). I also have a meeting with the Mazda district manager set for next week. You mentioned getting together via e-mail. I would like to do that because I would like to have as much supporting information as I can for that meeting. If you can access my e-mail please do so. Otherwise I have a secondary e-mail account that I can post- the world will be able to respond without messing up my primary mailbox.
    I sent you a message at your carspace email. I think you may need to add my carspace email address to your list of people who can email you and it should come through. I hope to have update from Mazda dealer later tomorrow after they have car for the day. I'm driving an 09 i Touring w/manual as my loaner to see if I experience it in this car as well. First drive from dealer to work - (car was a little warmed up) no hiccup. we'll see how it goes going home tonight and then tomorrow am.
    Chris- I recieved your e-mail. sent you one and it was returned to me. I sent it to the carspace address. Maybe you need to add me to your list- or maybe I'm not doing something correctly. Bob
    Ok I reset my preferences/settings and whatever other dials and knobs so I think it's set to receive emails at my carspace email address from you.
    Chris- I tried again- 2nd message was rejected. I'm sending to xxxxx@carspace.com. Since you are getting through to me do you want to send me your direct e-mail?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You can always edit your profile to make your address public. If you do so, only registered members (not visitors) can see it. You can always change it back after you've connected.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I think the bad component is the air intake. Mazda engines use a lot of variable air intake and induction mechanisms and they are all located into the plastic air intake.
    I know it is a common problem on the Mazda 3 where their is a variable intake valve that starts rattling to the point where you think there is something wrong with the engine. But just disconnecting the intake valve actuator (power) makes the engine noise disappear.
    Basically in your case I think the hesitation is due to the air being cut off momentarily from the engine.
    jkobty

Thanks for sharing, I'm passing along all these suggestions to my dealer & corporate mazda for them to check into.

Chris
    UPDATE - Mazda Regional rep was in town so dealer took my car for him to experience. After driving he agreed that my issue existed. Wonders if when my battery died (@ one week of ownership) it caused ECU to malfunction. He reflashed it last night and drove it 3 X this AM and could not replicate problem. I picked up car @ 4 this afternoon. I did not experience anything as I had in the past but one time I thought there was something but it was hard to say in brief drive around town. Car is idling at start up below 1k RPM when previously it was around or over 1500. I'll let you know more early next week. :confuse:
  • pats1fanpats1fan Member Posts: 18
    I am wondering if anyone has experienced any of the recent issues I am dealing with. With my 09 having less than 12k miles, I noticed that the rotors were pulsating. Today the dealer acknowledged the problem turned the rear rotors. I questioned if I would be charged if the rotors needed replacement prior to turning in the lease, and I of course received a non-answer. I received a semi-acknowledgement that although it is "uncommon" for the rotors to be turned so early, it is a "common" problem with Mazda and Volvo because their rotors are "soft." The second issue was with a horrible smell of mold coming from my vents. The claim was that "everything checked out fine," but it "could" be my pollen filter and they would be happy to change that for $80.00. I refused, they changed their tune, and did agree to replace for no cost. The third was the hesitation (4cyl auto) getting onto the highway and getting stuck btw 3rd and 4th gear where the RPM's would wind up to almost 6000 before changing gears. I got the "Yes, we have heard that but there are no TSBs issued for it." Anyone?
    Pats1fan - can't say I've had your particular issues thought you can see from my posts what my issues have been,

Did the air filter solve the problem and if so track for how long it cures it. I don't think it should not mold up that much/fast unless there is a drain that's blocked?

I've seen reference to air quality issues on some other forms and I think in Edmunds as well.
    Anyone with the 2.5 I4 is experiencing a knocking sound at idle?
    It is getting very annoying, I cannot pinpoint the cause. But it sounds like piston slap that never goes away after the car has warmed up. In fact as the rpms decrease it becomes more noticeable.
    Noise cannot be heared above 1500 rpm. but when idling it sounds like a VW diesel.
    I rented a Ford Fusion last week, which had the same 2.5L engine as mine, but the engine sounded smoother at idle and it was tuned differently at highway speeds turning at least 400 rpms less at cruising speed than the mazda 6. How could the 2 identical Mazda made engines behave differently. Is there a way I can make mine behave the same? I think lower rpm at cruising speed is a gas saver.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I rented a Ford Fusion last week, which had the same 2.5L engine as mine, but the engine sounded smoother at idle and it was tuned differently at highway speeds turning at least 400 rpms less at cruising speed than the mazda 6. How could the 2 identical Mazda made engines behave differently.

Because they're "identical" in name only.

The 2.5L are similar in structure, but are tuned differently. The ECMs and heads are different from Ford's, and Mazda tends to run their engines at a higher RPM at certain speeds, which IMO helps to stay within the power band when sudden acceleration is needed (to pass someone).

It may make a slight difference in fuel economy, but IIRC it's negligible.
    Chris- we're
    having connection issues again. Please check your carspace mailbox. I've sent you 2 e-mails from my carspace mailbox to yours.
    Bob
    Hi Bob - try again - checked my email and there was nothing. I can tell you that after my reflash before Thanksgiving, I thought that all was set but today (rainy, windy, high humidity) I experienced it twice coming into work today. Makes me wonder if short in ECU was triggered by weather so that reflash was undone. Calling Mazda in a little while to let them know.
    Chris- Pls check your preferences- am I still listed as a "friend"?
    To recap- I drove my car with the Mazda rep for 1-1/2 hours last monday. And, of course, the hesitation never occurred. That after happening 10+ times in the first mile of driving just a few days before. So- what they (Mazda) have agreed to do is to put a data recorder (black box) on my car. That's going to happen next Monday.
    Strange that a dead battery seems to be a common thread in both our cars.
    Bob
    Bob - thanks for the update. I do have your carspace address listed as a friend so I'm going to clear my preferences and start over again.

While I know that you & I had dead batteries - to my knowledge the loaner I drove did not have a dead battery and it had the same issue. Also my hockey teammate says his wifes car has a similar issue (though I have not experienced that myself). That and the fact that it happened 2x to me yesterday after the reflash means that there is more to this than it appers. I still think the drive by wire pedal sensor is too damm sensitive. I think what's happening is that at light throttle instead of being an analog/linear move from light to no throttle/off because it's digital, the sensor goes from on to off in an millisecond and it's you can't modulate that with your foot. Also since the electronics are so fast & on/off, they get ahead of the mechanics in the engine (valves/air intake etc. which open/close relatively more gradually) thus creating the conditions for the hiccup. I wish I had more mechanical training to get into the details.

Yesterday one of the hiccups occur just as I lightly applied gas which again points me to the on/off. The car drives fine if I run and gun but unfortunately real life traffic does'nt allow me to drive like that all day (wish that it did!)

Chris
    Ok I sent you an email via carspace addresses @ 11:10am - let me know via forum if you got and try to reply to see if we can figure out the email issues. What's the latest on your black box saga. I need to flup with Mazda as I've heard nothing back from then on my last email.

PS - did you get snow tires for your car and if so what did you get & how do you like them. I'm thinking about going to 16" on steel rims when I do.

Chris
    Chris- Your messages are coming through to my carspace mailbox OK. But nothing that I do will get one through to yours. Host tells me that I can have my e-mail address visible to members only. So I have set up a sub-account on my real e-mail- it should be visible to you with this message. Pls e-mail me directly. Include your home state so that I can verify that it's you. Then I'll dump the sub-account so that I won't be getting e-mails from the world. I've got some stuff I want to share but don't want to publish it on the forum.
    Bob