Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    No I do not think its normal. If you have already changed the oil, make sure they are using 5W20 grade oil. 5W20 oil is more expensive and dealers prefer to use 5w30 or even 10w30 oil, which is not good.
  • Is it better to use synthetic oil or would you recommend sticking to the 5w20?
    stick with the regular 5w20 till your warranty expires. then you can switch.
    Synthetic is better (After the break in period is over), but Mazda as a company sucks. I bought synthetic oil and tried to get my mazda dealer mechanic to put it in instead of the regular oil, and he said it might void my warranty, and that if he puts in synthetic he will enter the information into their computer system where they store the maintenance records, and it might affect any future warranty claim.
    Basically they are being real idiots. First and last Mazda for me. Although I really like the car. I have switched my dealer since where I service my car, but I am not going to push the synthetic issue again. I will settle for the 5w20 oil till warranty runs out.
    Also I noticed on the newer mazda6 model I saw at this years autoshow, looks like they replaced the oil filter (Cap system) with a normal twist on filter system. That is one thing I disliked about this car, so I will check with the new dealer if they can retrofit last years 2.5L with the new twist on filter adapter.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Going back to spin on filters is a downgrade, IMO. I don't see it as an advantage to have the rubber gasket of a spin on as the only thing keeping the oil in the engine.
  • ...but Mazda as a company sucks.

Sounds more like the dealer that "sucks". My local dealer allows one to bring in their own oil, as long as it's 5w-20 and it meets the minimum grades that Mazda specifies (which just about all quality oil does), synthetic as well.
  • ventureventure Central PAPosts: 463
    Right after I got the car I emailed Mazda and asked if I could use synthetic oil. They replied that they only recommend dino oil as that's what the engine is designed and tested to run on....or some such nonsense.

I'm sticking with dealer oil until the warranty runs out too.

2014 Fusion, 2013 Impreza, 2011 Forester

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,673
    Not being an expert...and the 'oil' issue is brought up regularly...

But from what I understand synthetic doesn't help a 'regular' engine one-bit. It doesn't last longer and doesn't protect better unless the engine 'needs' it...like a turbo, high compression etc. Akin to using high octane gas on a vehicle that calls for regular.

I've also heard the suggestion of waiting till after break-in to use synthetic otherwise you may cause damage.

Unless you're all modding your engine and Auto-X'ing it every weekend :)
    I am starting to notice a noise similar to wheel bearing noise from the drivers side axle while driving at low speed. Could it be tires out of balance, or brake rotors cause this noise? it is too early for the bearings to go. The noise happens regardless whether the brakes are applied or not. The noise is not present at highway speed (probably there but the other road noises probably hide it).
    Usually wheel bearing noise will get worse when you turn the wheel a bit in one direction and better when turned in the opposite direction.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Are you sure it isn't the grinding alert-sound of the brake-pads that are worn out?
    I inspected the brake pads, and there is quite a bit remaining on them, a bit over 50% I would say.
    I did go on vacation for 3 weeks, which time the car was not driven, The rotors looked rusted when I cam back, but after driving for a couple of days the rust came out and they are shiny again. But I have a suspicion it has something to do with it. As it made horrible grinding noise when I first drove it after the vacation.
    sounds does not seem to change when steering left or right.
    Simple oxidation from moisture. I bet it rained or was humid in that time you were gone. Check a new car lot; you'll see most if not all brake rotors will look rusted if they haven't been driven in days. My '06 Accord is this way when I drive it after a few days of humid weather. It'll make grinding noise until the rust is rubbed off, then there's no problem. I have 60k miles on all original pads and rotors.
    You had said: "The noise happens regardless whether the brakes are applied or not."

Rusty rotors would not cause a noise, except when braking.
    Very true point; I'd overlooked that. My point about rusty rotors stands, though., however unrelated. :blush:
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I bought the 2009 6i GT automatic in Nov. 2008 and just went through the 20K mark last week. So far, I have had to do nothing but change the oil and bring it in for that recall last summer. It runs great, everything works as advertised and it has been one of the most solid, quiet cars I've ever owned; no interior rattles or body noises at all. And I traded an E-class Mercedes for the Mazda! It handles really well, although the 1988 Mazda MX-6 I owned handled better and was equal to (or real close to) a Mercedes SL500 or BMW 530 that I have driven.

The dynamic steering control and emergency braking feature both work well and the steering and braking continue to be precise and linear making for very predictable responses. The seating is very comfortable with ample adjustments and the climate control works great although I find I have to set the AC temp a few degrees colder than I had to on my other cars. The car is roomy and the trunk is one of the largest in this size car.

I only have two minor complaints.. One, I was disappointed that the car was delivered with 17" wheels; I was expecting, since it is a GT (Grand TOURING) model, that it would have 16" wheels for a little softer ride. I would expect the 17's to be on a Sport model not a Touring model !! And the second complaint is that using the fog lights automatically turns on the headlights. I don't know about in Japan, but here in New England, when we get heavy fog, the last thing you want is for the headlights to be blazing away causing a huge amount of light bouncing back at you. All we want is the flat fog beam staying a few feet above the ground.

It may be too soon for me to make any statements regarding durability or reliability, but my 1988 MX-6 was the most reliable car I have ever owned until I traded it in at 99,500 miles.. The only thing it ever needed beyond oil, tires, and brake pads was 2 or 3 mufflers.. They weren't made out of stainless steel back then.. It was GREAT car !! I'm hoping the 2009 matches it....
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Posts: 419
    Regarding the fog lights, it is legally required in most states to have the headlights and fog lights on at the same time.

I thought the four cylinder Mazda 6 was a little bit underpowered. Did you not test drive the V6?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    edited June 2010
    Regarding the fog lights, it is legally required in most states to have the headlights and fog lights on at the same time.

Somebody better tell that to Ford, since on the Fusion, the fog lights can be activated independently of the headlights. Same with just about every GM vehicle I've seen/driven.

I also live in the Northeast, and driving with fog lights only is almost essential on certain days, not only with fog, but try driving at night in blowing snow.

I've actually rewired the fusebox on my '04 Mazda6 to operate the fog lights to operate when the parking lights are on, also independent of the headlights. It's a simple five-minute procedure, and I'm sure that with the '09-up model, it can also be done.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Posts: 419
    "Somebody better tell that to Ford, since on the Fusion, the fog lights can be activated independently of the headlights. Same with just about every GM vehicle I've seen/driven. "

Please give me specific models/years and I will report them to the NTSB. Also, what state are you in?

Thanks.
    Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Those "fog lights" are most likely just there for show.
    I want to change the transmission fluid on my 2009 Mazda6, it is getting close to 30,000 miles and the fluid lost its pink color. It is currently light brown.
    1. Which transmission fluid should I use.
    2. Does this transmission have a drain plug like most Japanese transmissions that is easily accessible? any help with the location of the drain plug is appreciated.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Not only Ford and GM who need to be told about this issue, but in my experience also Mercedes and Chrysler... But DON'T tell them..!! Let's convince the others to separate the fogs from the headlights... ;) ;) ;)

How could I have forgotten about "blinding" snow and headlights vs. fog lights ?? I've been driving in NE for more than 40 years !!!! Yes, snow is even worse than fog and most cars I've owned with fog lights work quite well.. Must be because they had factory installed fogs ??

Would you care to give some hints on what needs to be done with the wiring to separate the fogs from the headlights on your '04 Mazda6 to see if it translates to my '09 Mazda6 ?? :D
    edited June 2010
    After 6 great years and 92K miles, it was time to move on from my '04 Mazda6. So after months of test-drives, the finalists were the '10 Mazda6S GT and the Fusion Sport.

Mazda 6
    - The 272-HP V6 is simply a gem. Smooth, quiet idle, but throaty and aggressive when pushed. Power is both abundant and intoxicating, and the 6-speed works well with it.
    - Interior that's IMO one of the best-in-class in terms of layout, fit-and-finish, and quality of materials (and miles ahead of my '04).
    - Available features (HIDs, LED tails, memory seats, Bluetooth, Homelink, etc.)
    - Still handles and drives like it's on rails.
    - Size has grown, but it's roomier in the back seat, and the trunk is huge!

Ford Fusion Sport
    - The 3.5L is also very smooth and has plenty of power.
    - SYNC. 'Nuff said.
    - Impressive interior, with nice materials and good fit-and-finish. The center stack is a little busy, but controls can be easily memorized after a few drives.
    - Back-up camera is cool.
    - Ride and handling is also one of the best-in-class (but IMO one notch below the 6).
    - Exterior styling is nicely aggressive and sporty, similar to my 1st-gen 6.

After going back and forth for a week straight, I choose the 6. I still contend that the Fusion Sport is an excellent choice in this segment for a "sporty" midsize sedan, and the features, powertrain, and overall quality are top-notch. But in the end, the 6 still felt more tied down when cornering, the interior is immaculate, and after 6 trouble-free years and 92K with my last Mazda (only needing a new fuel filler cap), I'll gladly take another one without hesitation.

So I picked one up last Thursday. It's a 6S GT, Brilliant Silver Metallic with black leather, with Tech package (HIDs, keyless start, auto-dimming and heated mirrors, driver's seat memory, etc.). Have already put over 300 miles on it, and I've been loving every minute of it!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    edited June 2010
    greyghost-

Congratulations on your new 6!!

I say to myself almost every day that the second gen Mazda6 is way too over looked, especially in regards to build quality and ride / drive. The interior is really superb, and rivals even luxury vehicles in terms of how well it is put together and the abundance of soft touch materials.

From what I have seen in terms of reliability in the Mazda6, the V6 has been a little better then the I4, to my surprise. As you are well aware, the drivetrain is directly from the CX-9, which it it's own right has been pretty flawless since they started using the 3.7L in 2008.

Why this car does not get the love it deserves is mind boggling to me. The only real knock I have on it is how the 17" wheel look and the lack of dual exhaust outlets for the I4's. The car in s GT form looks the best with the 18" wheels and dual exhaust.

Again, congrats on your purchase. Keep us posted as to how you enjoy it!

p.s. I drive one as a demo, and I absolutely love it! My wife now drives my 2005 on a daily basis.
  • rdm925rdm925 Posts: 46
    Congrates on your new 6. I'm planning to keep my 07 6i 5-door a long time. It already has 63,000 trouble free miles. I plan to keep it at least 10 yrs like my 90 Civic Si (which was a great little car). A new Mazda 6 will be first on my list if they make a 5-door available in the USA Mazda 6 again. :shades:
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    You can also be proud that you purchased an American-made vehicle, which (ironically) the Fusion is not!

The Mazda6 is built in Flat Rock, Michigan and the Ford Fusion is built in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    "The only real knock I have on it is how the 17" wheel look and the lack of dual exhaust outlets for the I4's. The car in s GT form looks the best with the 18" wheels and dual exhaust."

I hate the 17" wheel design...it takes away from the overall look of the car, to say the least! On the 2009 model, the 18" alloys were standard on the s Touring and s Grand Touring trim levels. But for 2010, the s Grand Touring is the only model with the 18s. I think all 's' models and the 'i' Grand Touring should get the 18-inchers standard...or at least redesign the 17" to look more like the 18"....

I hate the 17" wheel design...it takes away from the overall look of the car, to say the least! On the 2009 model, the 18" alloys were standard on the s Touring and s Grand Touring trim levels. But for 2010, the s Grand Touring is the only model with the 18s. I think all 's' models and the 'i' Grand Touring should get the 18-inchers standard...or at least redesign the 17" to look more like the 18"....

Couldn't agree more. In fact, had I got the i GT, I'd probably insist on swapping out the 17" stock wheels for the 18s.

It's funny. According to my wife, the wheels on my 6 remind her of the wheel design on her '00 Neon.

Well, they're close, anyway... :)
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Couldn't disagree more. Larger wheels mean less rubber, rougher ride, and more expensive replacement costs on low profile tires. I'd take 17 over 18 any day.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,673
    There was a 'future' product display...I think by Mercedes that showed a low side wall on the outside and a large side wall on the inside of the tire.

Supposedly you'd gain the benefits of both.

I haven't heard anything further on this so maybe it wasn't technically feasible.

I think it would be ideal...a comfortable ride while looking 'gansta' (or pimpin...if you would)
  • numb3rznumb3rz Posts: 15
    Had the identical experience. Owned an 04 6S, V6, 5spd, and loaded. Never had a problem with the car but was stolen out of my garage, keys in it. Totaled in a police chase. Headed back to the Mazda dealer and bought an 09 Grand Touring, again loaded, V6, nav, leather, Bose, climate control etc. Same experience, smooth shifting, power, handles great. Took a road trip, four people, and got almost 28mpg and I wasn't driving slow. (epa rated 25 hwy). Love this one more than the first. Had it 15 months and driven 16k miles, not a problem of any kind.