Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• racerxlracerxl Member Posts: 2
    Good call on the not waiting thing.
    I am sure that it will not be until 2010 that Mazda doe as 6 door with go fast parts.
    If you want row the car yourself go with the Speed 3, if you want the auto shifter go with the VW.
    Happy shopping
    Let me how it works out.
    Later RXL
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Well, rumor has it that the NA 2009 Mazda6 will indeed get Mazda's 3.7L V6, rated at 270hp and 267tq. EPA fuel rating at 19mpg city and 27mpg highway. This happens to be the almost the same EPA rating as Honda's 3.5L VTEC w/ fuel saving VCM technology (19/29). The Mazda engine also will boast a torque advantage of 19lb ft, and a slight 2 hp advantage. I would only imagine that the Mazda6 V6 should be pretty darn quick, as long as it does not weigh 3600 lbs like the Accord EX-L V6.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    If I like the new 6 and go for the 2.5 everything would then depend on whether Mazda keeps the manual transmission option. Can't imagine they'd get rid of it, but if they do, I'll be visiting others' showrooms.

Last I heard, the 2.5 will be offered with a manual, but NOT the V6!!! :mad:

Note to Mazda: V6 with automatic only is WRONG!!!

No three-pedaled V6 model? No repeat Mazda6 for me! I'm not the only one that thinks this, BTW.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    hi all, autoblog.com has an article with some photos of the new mazda 6 spied in detroit. BTW, this is a new completely unveiled photo, not previously published. For the most part it is very similar to the euro version. a few minor differences. Read the article. No info on engine specs.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    that's how I felt :sick:
    I have a funny feeling that only the 2009 model will not have a manual tranny for the V6. I find it very hard to believe that a company like Mazda would not have a manual option for their V6 flag ship sports sedan. I think it may have to do with the fact that Mazda, in recent years, has had a manual tranny shortage. For the past two years, Mazda has cut back the availability of their manual tranny's in the Mazda6 and Mazda3 by almost 20%. This is just a hunch. I also think, with no actual confirmation yet, that Mazda may be producing a new 6-speed manual for the car. From what I know of the company, this does seem to fit their character.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Mazda ruined the North American Mazda6.

The front grill is especially distasteful compared to the Euro version.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I didn't notice that much difference in the grill vs. current 6 and also don't think it looks bad. The grill I'm talking about, not the RX8 fender look which I don't care for in the pics but it may look better in person. The new Euro 6 has the mesh grill that just about everybody here doesn't want in the current model!
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    I think we will have to reserve final judgment until the final product comes out or we see other pictures from different angles. The Euro and Japanese versions are available with both the standard black honeycomb-like grille and the body colored sports grille, which leads me to think that NA might also have both depending on trim. I prefer the NA back end and European model front end with the honeycomb grille. The Euro and JDM versions look more upscale than the NA version - at least from the limited pictures shown so far.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I completely agree. The EU version has so much more flow (less sharp lines) and looks more buttoned down. I'm not really digging the NA back end or the sharper fender lines.
    I really hope all of this negitive feedback leads to a model change perhaps after the second year, to make it look like the Euro/JDM Mazda6
    I hope Mazda makes the necessary changes to the front before the car goes on sale. It is basically the front grille, fog light position and headlight design that needs to be changed, that should not should not take that much effort since it is not yet in production. I hope Mazda is seriously assessing the reaction to the spy shots.
    That is wishfull thinking. The ball is already rolling. It might be too late to change anything.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Aviboy, it would seem you are somewhat disappointed with the NA version of the 6 also? To me it seems the version the rest of the world gets denotes more of the zoom zoom quality Mazda is so well know for.
    Well, I have to be honest, I was really excited when the JDM Mazda6 / Atenza made its debut. I really thought Mazda did a great job of evolving the Mazda6 into an even more sportier mid sized sedan, while making some great improvements in handling, fuel economy, and overall build quality. What's not to like about that? Now, we see what changes were made for the North American market. I am not too upset by the front, for it mostly stayed the same, but, you can tell the differences, like the smaller, less sexy headlights. I still like the JDM front end better. What really disappoints me is the rear. What the heck happened? I do like the exhaust set up, but, the tail lights, trunk just don't seem to go with the car.

What I really don't understand is why? I had a rep at my dealership today, and I missed the opportunity to ask about this.

Now, I do think there ar some positives. It seems that the interiors will be the same. That's a good thing. Also, it does not appear to be that much bigger then the JDM one. I am also pretty sure that we are getting Mazda's 3.7L V6 w/ 270hp and 267tq, while getting pretty good fuel economy at 19-27. The 4-cyl engine output is still unknown. Also, I believe we are getting a 6-speed manual as the tranny for the 4 cyl engines. That is a great move.

I will reserve my final judgment until I get to see the official photos, which I will get to see pretty soon. Regardless if I had never seen the JDM version, I still would dislike how the rear looks. The front end I could live with.
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    I actually think the rear looks better than the Euro spec while the front looks much worse.

In any case, the Euro spec 6 has been generating a lot of positive buzz... I wonder why they went for the change. Did they have to make room for the larger V6? Are the changes to accommodate the slightly larger vehicle?

For Mazda this could've been a breakout hit, a bigger success than the 3 has been.

It's seriously odd though, when a car has been getting almost universal praise... you change it?
    Well, between the US-spec bumpers (which are more stringent than Euro/JDM standards), and different requirements for headlight and taillights (heights, brightness, and angles), as well as fitting a 3.7L V6 that the rest of the world doesn't get, I'm sure the changes had to be made.
    Unless I am totally missing something, I don't see how the JDM lights would be illegal over here.
    Unless I am totally missing something, I don't see how the JDM lights would be illegal over here.

US requirements differ from JDM requirements concerning headlight height (I believe the US requires them at a taller minimum height off the ground), brightness, and the angles they can legally work at. I bet Mazda needed to update the headlight cluster to better fit the US requirements.

Not to mention that the US requires added reflectors as well, which is one reason why the NA current-gen 6 taillights have the "Bulge" while the JDMs do not. There's an added red reflector off the side of the taillight housing on NA cars that JDM cars do not require.
    Not to mention that the US requires added reflectors as well, which is one reason why the NA current-gen 6 taillights have the "Bulge" while the JDMs do not. There's an added red reflector off the side of the taillight housing on NA cars that JDM cars do not require.

I have the JDM tail lights on my 2005 Mazda6, and the ones I have don't have the bulge, but, still have the red reflector of the side that wraps around the side. I really think the bulge was part of the styling. Most every other car has rear lights with no bulge, Mazda could have done the same. Just my .02
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    seems the angles of the spy pics were far from ideal. if you look at the shots f/ Mazda of the new 6 for europe and asia, the angles are completely different.

but I do think not having the crease on the hood and a more accented lower front bumper for the NA market is a mistake. it almost seems as though mazda is decontenting the NA 6 so it can sell for less than other countries. and if you take currency issues into account, the weak dollar would almost make this a certainty. so I have a feeling we won't see things like corner adjusting headlights and adaptive cruise that I heard the euro 6 has...

I hope they have a body kit as an option to make the car have more appeal/ flair. as it is now, I am a bit disappointed and hope that the ride of the car will make up for some of the exteriors shortcomings.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    I like the front of the US Version, but not the grill, they should have left the grill alone, and I like the rear of the euro version much better. Why did they do that? So I guess I pretty much agree with aviboy97. Does anyone know when will the official photo's come out? :confuse:
    From what I've seen on several boards, comments are almost 50-50 as to who likes the front end and who likes the back of the 09 Mazda6. I personally think the US version looks ok from the front and really looks great from the rear. I think the Euro version looks like a 2002 Malibu from the rear. But a lot of people are just the opposite--like yourself. What is odd is that I have not seen anyone post that they like the whole package.
    From the spy pictures, I am glad to see that the interior of the NA version stays mostly the same as the Euro/JDM versions.

Edmunds.com 2009 mazda6 interior
    Yeah, I'm happy about that.

It seems the steering wheel came from the CX-9, as well as the gauge cluster. I do believe I see dual climate settings and blue tooth connectivity as well.

So far, the interior looks great. I hope when I see the car in detail in a month, I will not be disappointed
    What this means to you: As a 2009 model, the new Mazda 6 should hit showrooms by early next year. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

The above is from the link to Edmunds spy photos of the M6 interior. This article is dated 3/10/08 and they are forecasting the car to be in showrooms "early next year"?? What gives??
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    I don't care too much about the details of the interior, since they dropped the 5-door model.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Typo - the car is already out in a few places around the world and probably only a few months away in the US.
    I agree, the interior looks good so far.

I saw a disguised 09 Mazda6 driving around Irvine, CA near MazdaUSA headquarters.
    Typical striped tape up job. Didn't get to snap a photo with phone though.

Even with the disguise, the one thing that really jumped out at me were the front wheel arches... they are very pronounced.

I'm getting excited, cant wait for the official unveiling.
    Some people say it looks like an RX8 from the front, I am not sure about that.

I wonder if they will have the specials they usually have the the Mazda 6 with $3000 off. I know they usually do that in August. What do you guys think?
    Nope. Not with a new model.
    I think he may have been referring to the 08MY cars.
  • dyercardyercar Member Posts: 1
    I do not know what models will stay. I am closing on a Mazda dealership at the end of this month and then going to the North American Mazda meeting in Denver where we are supposed to hear all about the new 6. I am looking forward to hearing all about it. I will let you all know what I hear.
    Representatives from my dealership will be there. I cannot wait to hear, and see, what Mazda has in store for us in regards to the Mazda6.
    Apparently it's just the sedan, at least for 2009.
  • leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    Hi guys,

I just got my first email about the new 2009 6 from mazdausa.com

Basically just a cheesy picture of a red curtain, and a message saying that their are keeping the car behind the curtain for now, and will reveal it in spring. The only encouraging point is the fact that it finishes by 'Premieres Summer 2008', whatever that means...
    Since the new model Mazda6 was introduced in 2007 as a 2008 model (everywhere except North America), will there be discounts on the North American Mazda6 when it is introduced as a 2009 model in 2008 since it is already over a year old design?
    I'm sure popularity/demand for this new 6 will drive the price just like it does with any other model. Let's wait and see how the NA public responds to the restyled 6 (restyled compared to Euro 6).
    You know we all keep talking about how great the Asian and Euro Mazda6 look. Does anybody know if it's selling well in those places in comparison to past MYs?
    I think that dealer should know better then to post those images. That is not what we are getting :sick:
  • yakultspitsyakultspits Member Posts: 22
    Yeah, shame on this dealer for putting up this pic.
    Ya, maybe a dealer will post pics of the 2009 5-door we aren't getting either. :sick:
    So, about the NA Mazda dealer meeting. Wasn't it supposed to be end of March? Any news on the new 6?
    It's at the end of April. 23rd-25th
  • tjones39tjones39 Member Posts: 31
    So does anyone know exactly when the new 2009 Mazda 6 will be released to the dealers for sale here in the U.S.?
    According to Mazda, we should have them by September
    Has anyone seen this pic of a 2009 Mazda 6 Coupe :surprise: ? ???
    Is it true?

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/04/mazda6-coupe-cabriolet-reality-or-pipe.html-
  • rsen1rsen1 Member Posts: 2
    Any news yet from the dealer meeting about the new Mazda 6?
  • zg64zg64 Member Posts: 1
    I'm on vacation in Israel right now, and I've seen a number of '09 models (Mazda is a huge seller here). The car looks great, although I prefer the less bulky front end of the current model. I hope the US model is not too much bigger. Interior design is much nicer. Looks sort of like a Camry from the back, but with trapeziodal LED taillights. I really wish the hatchback would come out the 1st year, it would look terrific. I've also seen a ton of the new 2.
    Zac
    1995 RX-7