Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    am surprised at the amount of dissing of the current version in the edmunds review, considering it was their "editors most wanted sedan under $25K" in 2007.

+1 on that!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The body-in-white weighs about 70 pounds less than the old model, but the total car weighs about 200 pounds more.

Yep, the Mazda6 we get in the US is actually heavier than previously. Mazda has stated their "sustainable zoom zoom philosophy" is to reduce the weight of new models. This was achieved with the Euro and Japanese Mazda6, however, supersize is what we got.
    Shame on everyone who wanted a bigger 6!

And it is too complex and lowers quality to assemble a hatch and wagon version in North America while Mazda is fully capable of handling the complexity and quality during assembly of multiple versions of the 6 elsewhere in the world.

The workers in Michigan at AutoAlliance must be inferior.
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    That's true, I will definitely be looking at the 3 again and I believe the 2 will make it over.

Fusion and Milan were supposed to get hybrids sometime soon. Any word on any Mazda vehicles getting hybrid powertrain? besides the tribute of course. I would guess that Mazda is too small to be developing their own and will be using Ford tech. Although somewhere I read that Mazda was going to develop their own.
  • yakultspitsyakultspits Member Posts: 22
    What's with the present-tense narrative voice in the review?
  • blackadder5639blackadder5639 Member Posts: 31
    Probably the new Mazda3 will be near the size of the old 6 and be available in HB, not sure if they have any hybrid plans.

Noooo!!!! I hope the next Mazda 3 doesn't increase in size! The current Mazda 3 is perfectly sized and any increase in size would just spoil it! :(
    I also hope to see hybrid Mazda 3 or 6 soon.....
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Well, if it does get bigger, maybe they will have a "perfectly sized" Mazda2 for you.
    I have already seen the design for the new Mazda3 (I think I was not supposed to, there for I cannot really comment on it, except that it has design cues from the Nagare concept series) and it really does not get any bigger. There is also no Hybrid plan.

BTW, word is we are getting the Mazda2 by 2010.
  • akt1000akt1000 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know yet the exterior and the interior colors which may be offered on the 2009 Mazda6? If not, does anyone know when Mazda may announce those? Am hoping that someone connected to a Mazda dealership may have this information.
  • moveovermoveover Member Posts: 31
    Signed up for Mazda6 news and today received a link to build my own. Was valid for 30 minutes. Colors seem similar to the 3 including the icy blue and a darker blue. About 3 grays and of course the black and white. Interior color choices either black or beige on the models I build.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Colors for 2009:

Ebony Black
    Black Cherry Metallic
    Light Ice Blue Metallic
    Sangria Red Mica
    Smokestone Mica
    Performance White
    Kona Blue Mica
    Comet Grey Mica
    Brilliant Silver Metallic

Leather or cloth:
    Black, Grey or Beige Depending on color.
    The Ice blue is different then the Icy Blue found on the Mazda3, as is the darker blue.

The Mazda6 shares no colors with any of the Japan built Mazda's.
  • akt1000akt1000 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the information on colors.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Is Mazda trying to go more mainstream with the Mazda6? It appears so. The new Mazda6 has no V6-manual combo, no hatchback, and it's heavier and bigger. They seem to have lost their "sporty" edge over the other midsize cars like the Camry and Accord. I mean, the reason people bought the current generation Mazda6 WAS sportiness, not some other factor like reliability, quality, interior volume. Seems like I recall last time they tried to go head-to-head with the midsize leaders (with the 626) it didn't work out too well for them.

It's like deja vu all over again.
    I am going to strongly disagree. While the Mazda6 is bigger and heavier, it is also more nimble, handles better and is quicker and more refined. Also, every review says that this is the sporty alternative to the Accord / Camry and Altima.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/0805_2009_mazda_6/index.html

You might like the quote that says "makes the Accord and Camry feel like Buicks in comparison"
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    While the Mazda6 is bigger and heavier, it is also more nimble, handles better

I look forward to the new Mazda6 as much as the next person but can we make this kind of statement without having driven one? I read all the reviews and I don't remember anyone saying they were more nimble or handled better then the current one.

I guess I would be a little careful of the hyperbole when a reviewer makes a statement like "more than even the drag-strip-scorching Accord".
    I thought I read that in the article link I posted. If it was not written, then I must have just imagined it! :blush: Wishful thinking on my part?? :shades:
    I read the article and there was no data. No test data to compare to previous Mazda6 and no test results to compare to competitors.
    Still, no V6-MT combo and no 5-door model. That leaves out those of us who want:
    1. The utility of the hatchback for our bikes and kid stuff
    2. The sportiness of the V6-MT combo
    3. The affordability of a moderately priced sedan

There isn't anything else that does all 3 of these like the Mazda6 5-door V6-MT did. A possible alternative is the 2008-2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door, though it costs more and has less space in the back.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    After a day of fun in the sun, why not stop in for some chat with your fellow CarSpace members?

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    I will give you the lack of a V6/mtx and absent 5-door model. However, I will disagree on price. The car is comparably priced, and knowing Mazda, there will be rebates. Also, Mazda dealers tend to drop to invoice (some below) rather quickly.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I am previous owner of a 2005 mazda6 i sport edition. I have read many reviews of the new 2009 Mazda6 and I think it will be a huge success. Mazda improved on all the areas the Mazda6 needed improvement. From size to power. Currently I drive a 2008 Honda Accord. My plan is to purchase the 2011 Mazda6. Forever lives ZOOM-ZOOM!
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    As huge as this car is they ought to be able to put a hybrid system in it. Maybe this is the real plan in the long run and it's just not happening this year? A hybrid to enhance the 4 cylinder would get the power to weight ratio on the 4 cylinder to move up to par with the competition and if you slap it in the V6 maybe it's a performance hybrid like Honda tried with the Accord. It failed on the Accord, but maybe it needed to be tried on something a little sportier. I doubt that is the plan as it's obvious Ford rewrites the plan about every other day, but hold out hope Mazda has some kind of independent vision.
    Hey everyone,

According to Mazda, the new Mazda6 will be shipping to dealers at the end of July, and be in dealers in early August. Official pricing will be available in early July.

The first allocation of Mazda6's that dealers get will be selected by Mazda, not the dealers (I've never heard of that before). We are expecting a little bit of everything with those first cars. I do know we will be getting 2 GT V6's, one with nav. Also, 2 I4 GT's, and the others are a mix of everything else.
    What's a GT?
    Grand Touring
  • mlang2000mlang2000 Member Posts: 18
    Hey guys...
    Can anyone supply a pic of the key fob that may (or will) be used with this car that includes the start button? I'm curious if it's a seperate fob or built into the key.
    Also, am I correct that the only cosmetic differences between the i4 GT & the V6 GT are the exhaust & wheels?
    The key fob will look like every other key fob. It's rectangular in shape with the "lock", "unlock" "trunk" and "panic" button on it. This is a new design, taking place of the "credit card" sized key system.

The only differences between the GT V6 and GT I4 is the exhaust outlets. The wheels are the same.

If you are wondering about the "remote starter", then that too is incorporated into the key fob with a "start" button
    Yeah, by the wheels being different, I just meant the size.
    So this will have a separate fob and key vs. a fob built into the key or a key that flips out of the fob?
    Oh another thing, do Mazda's that were started by the fob turn off when you open the door like Toyotas? I hate that!
    Thanks!
    The size is 18" for both I4 GT and V6 GT.

No, the key is a "switch blade" type key. With this key, there is a separate fob for a "remote starter". If you get the Touring or Grand Touring that has the "push to start" button, then you just have a key fob with a hidden key in case the "push to start" system fails.

"The size is 18" for both I4 GT and V6 GT."

Both Mazda's site and Edmunds say the I4 GT gets 17" wheels...
    http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/downloadBrochure.action?url=/pdf/specs_features/- veh_specs_MZ6_09.pdf

"Base models get 16-inch wheels and tires, but the upgraded Touring and Grand Touring versions of the four-cylinder "i" model are upgraded with 17-inch wheels and 215/55R17 rubber at each corner. The base V6 has the same 17-inch setup, while top-of-the-line V6s get 18-inch wheels and 235/45R18 tires."
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=126392/pageNumber=1

Can anyone answer the remote start question? Does it die when you open the door like a Camry?
    Why does the Camry shut down when the door is opened? Is it some kind of safety feature?
    Must be...
    I want remote start, but I don't want 2 fobs and I don't want the car to turn off when I get in.
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    I've been gone from this site for a few years. I recognize a few names, and wonder if "Rich" the sales Manager is still a regular.
    We're launching the new 6, I must say it's quite impressive. So totally different, from the last model.
    I've been unable to get a definite price range on the car. I'm interested in ordering one, dealers near the Plant haven't been supplied any particulars. If I can be of any help, please let me know.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I posted this over on the thread about the reviews before I realized that this thread is actually where the discussion is. That other one seems to have died.

I fully sympathize with those who feel they are losing a unique size and appeal of the current Mazda 6. But I do believe, if this new one is as good as the reviewers seem to think it is, that Mazda will create a good number of new customers, such as me.

I'm looking to replace my '04 Accord I4 with a V6 sedan. I'm not impressed with the VCM V6 in the new Accord, or the CVT in the new Altima, or the problems some owners of the new Camry V6 are having with transmissions. Those three cars would normally be at the top of my shopping list. The new Mazda 6 fits my profile for a roomy, decent handling sedan without those kinds of issues.

I was pleased to see that someone (a dealer representative?) posted news that they will be at dealerships in early August. I'm looking forward to checking it out and possibly being an early adapter by buying one, even though I know first-year bugs can be a concern, and good deals will be hard to come by at first.

I'm not a fan of dark interiors, so I'm hoping there are some exterior colors that will come with a light interior. Does anyone know if this information is available anywhere yet? Thanks.
    I'm sure this has been posted here already, but for those that haven't seen it..

MAZDA6 s

Grand Touring

272-hp 3.7L DOHC 24-valve V6 cylinder
    Mileage, City/Hwy (mpg) 17/25 AT

s Touring model features plus:

Xenon auto on/off headlights & LED rear combination lights
    Rain sensing windshield wipers
    Auto-dimming, heated outside mirrors w/ ground illumination
    Leather-trimmed seats with heated front seats
    Driver's seat memory with outside mirror adjust function (2 settings)
    Passenger power seat
    Auto dimming inside mirror w/ Homelink® system
    Dual zone automatic climate control
    Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio
    Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System
    MSRP: $29,150*

MAZDA6 s Touring

s Sport model features plus:

18" alloy wheels
    Fog lights
    Push button ignition start
    Mazda Advance Keyless Entry & Start System
    Leather wrapped steering wheel & shift knob
    Trip computer & welcome mode
    8-way power driver's seat w/ manual adjust lumbar support
    Anti-theft security alarm

MSRP: $26,150*

MAZDA6 s Sport

Vehicle features

17" alloy wheels
    Chrome dual exhaust finishers
    Halogen headlights
    Dual power remote side mirrors
    V6 emblems & scuff plates
    AM/FM/CD MP3 compatible 6-speaker sound system
    Auxiliary audio input jack
    Steering wheel mounted audio & cruise controls
    Remote keyless entry w/ jack-knife key
    Key-activated remote down windows
    Carpeted floor mats
    Tilt & telescopic steering wheel w/ cruise and audio controls
    Advanced front air bags, side air bags, side air curtains and side impact door beams
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

MSRP: $25,150*

MAZDA6 i Grand Touring

170-hp 2.5L DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder with VVT
    Ultra-clean Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV)†
    Mileage, City/Hwy (mpg) 21/29 MT

i Touring model features plus:

Xenon auto on/off headlights & LED rear combination lights
    Rain-sensing windshield wipers
    Auto-dimming, heated outside mirrors w/ ground illumination
    Leather-trimmed seats with heated front seats
    Driver's seat memory with outside mirror adjust function (2 settings)
    Passenger power seat
    Auto dimming inside mirror w/ Homelink® system
    Dual zone automatic climate control
    Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio
    Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System
    MSRP: $25,850*

MAZDA6 i Touring

i Sport model features plus:

17" alloy wheels
    Fog lights
    8-way driver's power seat & electroluminescent gauges
    Push button ignition start
    Leather-trimmed steering wheel & shift knob
    Trip computer & welcome mode
    Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System
    Anti-theft security alarm
    MSRP: $22,750*

MAZDA6 i Sport

i SV Model features plus:

Auxiliary audio input jack
    Steering wheel mounted audio & cruise controls
    Key-activated remote down windows
    Carpeted floor mats
    Remote keyless entry w/ jack-knife key
    MSRP: $21,250*

MAZDA6 i SV

Vehicle features

Independent front & rear suspension w/ stabilizer bars
    Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
    Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
    16" steel wheel w/ 7-spoke wheel cover
    Halogen headlights with automatic headlight shutoff
    Power remote door mirrors, door locks, and windows
    Air conditioning with pollen filter
    AM/FM/CD MP3 compatible stereo w/ 6-speakers & SIRIUS Satellite Radio-compatible audio system
    60/40 split fold-down rear seats, floor and cargo mats
    Center instrument panel display (A/C, audio, clock, outside temp.)
    Power door locks, windows, door mirrors and remote keyless entry
    Tilt & telescopic steering wheel w/ cruise and audio controls
    Advanced front air bags, side air bags, side air curtains and side impact door beams
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    MSRP: $19,850

Colors Available:

Ebony Black
    Black Cherry Metallic
    Light Ice Blue Metallic
    Sangria Red Mica
    Smokestone Mica
    Performance White
    Kona Blue Mica
    Comet Grey Mica
    Brilliant Silver Metallic
    Leather:
    Black, Grey or Beige depending on color.

Options:

Moonroof $1800
    Navigation $2000
    17 mpg city and 21 mpg city

Not impressive. Altima obtains 19 mpg and 23 mpg city ratings and it's been on the market for several years.
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    I'm hearing way better mileage, than the figures You're posting.
    I work nights, when I go in later today I'll check our Pre-Delivery
    Department for the stickers.
    My current lease is up in September. Anyone care to guess what a no money down 36mo/36k lease payment will be on a i4 GT w/ moonroof & nav?
    Yes, Mazda is abandoning the "unique size and appeal" if the current model in favor of a more mainstream approach. That "unique size and appeal" got them a lot of sales and put them back in the game, but apparently they think they can do better by going head-to-head with the mid-size sedan sales champs, a rough bunch to play with. My prediction is that they'll fail just like the last time they tried this, and IMO they should have stuck with what was working and just improved it instead of changing their marketing approach in midstream. We'll see.

Those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Isn't MAZDA run by FORD? This sounds familiar regarding strategy.

Regards,
    OW
    "Isn't MAZDA run by FORD? This sounds familiar regarding strategy."

Yep, and if I'm not mistaken it was Ford who made Mazda try this the first time.
    You guys are BOTH mistaken.

Ford only has what's called a "controlling share" in Mazda as per Japanese law. Does this mean they "run" Ford? No. Not by a long shot. Mazda still has their own management, product planners, and still design and build their own vehicles independent of Ford. And for the record, it was Ford that took the CD3 platform from the first-gen Mazda6 and modified it for the Fusion/Milan, and NOT the other way around. The relationship between Mazda and Ford is the sharing of parts and platforms. Mazda (and Mazda alone) still calls the shots in terms of product planning.

As for the new Mazda6, EVERY review I've seen so far has praised the '09, saying it holds the high standards for handling and fun-to-drive set by the first-gen, all while updating the car to better compete with the new Accord and Altima, especially in terms of engine power and size. Mazda got in trouble in the late '90s trying to mimic the Camry with the 626, which failed miserably, simply because it was dull (IMO). Mazda did learn their lesson, considering the Mazda3, CX-7, and CX-9 are all highly praised for their "sporty" handling, and scoring well on the "fun-to-drive" factor in each class, much like the first-gen Mazda6 did in '03.

Are they reverting to their "dull" ways with the 626? From what I've seen and heard, no way. Granted, I haven't driven the new Mazda6 for myself just yet, but I don't plan on being disappointed either...
  • lauflauf Member Posts: 6
    I'm really surprised what Mazda has done with the new 6. It has grown up to the size of the new Accord. Although it's now a big midsized car, I really think this will help Mazda gain more sales. It's still one of the best looking cars out there. If I didn't buy my 07 Altima last year this new 6 could have been my car. Last year I was thinking of getting an Accord or Camry. Lately the Camry lacks quality while the Accord lacks feature content (to me anyways). I know the Altima compared to the Camry's quality may not compare for some. But actually my Altima has been doing fine and the interior is a lot nicer than the Camry's (fit and finish and materials). I really like how Mazda did what Nissan did improve upon fit and finish and quality while adding a bunch of features that are more expensive, exclusive to higher end trims, and/or not even available on other brands.
    OK, I was just asking. I do like both the new 6 and CX-9. As long as quality holds up, they should do fine with both. The FORD relationship is a concern for me because of the terrible track record in the past...

Regards,
    OW
    While the first gen Mazda6 did get Mazda back in the mid-sized market, they have since seen that segment pass them by with what every other mfgr has on the market now. Mazda took what made the first Mazda6 so successful, and improved on it. They added much needed room, power and fuel economy. Now, they are at least on par with other mfgrs in terms of power and FE, while still maintaining the drive that Mazda's are known for, something that sets them apart from the rest.

The problem with "unique size and appeal" is it just DOES NOT SELL ANYMORE. Hence why we have a new Mazda6 on the horizon.
    Learning about the real relationship between Ford and Mazda will help those concerns go away. If you listen to anyone who thinks a Mazda is a Ford, you are crazy (Unless you are talking about a Tribute or B-Series pick-up)
    I agree. I am crazy but not for listening to anyone else. I know Mazda is not FORD but as you said, there were problems in the past. I like the new stuff. I will test drive the CX-9 soon. If the new six is out by October, I'll test that as well.

I know some one with two 626 experiences and not too happy.

Regards,
    OW
    The new 6 will be here in August. So far the CX-9 has been great. The Mazda6 is also recommended by every consumer publication you can think of as well. Overall, Mazda makes a good car.

Just as your friend has had bad 626 experiences, there are many that have had bad Honda/Toyota experiences as well. My dad had his tranny replaced in his 2004 Accord....
    lot over on autoblog.com. Nice color blue. About 11 pics next to current gen.