Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    We cannot really say what Ford has had a say in, because what we see in Mazda's products is a vision of Mazda, except the B Series and Tribute. Ford is using a lot of Mazda technology, because they realize how superior their technology is when it comes to passenger vehicles. (Mazda6 platform, MZR engine line, etc.)

It does not take a rocket scientist to see what Mazda has done on their own, without having Ford dictate what they want.

Ford went and bought up shares of various companies, such as Volvo, AM, Land Rover, Mazda etc...for the purpose of profit and technology sharing. That is why these companies are considered by Ford to be "global partners". While then maintain "controlling interest" of Mazda, the transaction was designed to share technology and increase profit. Not to make them the Japanese version of Ford Mo Co....

first off, Wikipedia can be altered at anytime by anyone, so, you need to be careful on what they say. Ford does have controlling interest, but, precisely what they have or have not told Mazda to do is unknown. That is why I said "some say".
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Not sure what you are debating...someone had claimed that Ford doesn't own Mazda. The fact is that they do, or they do own a controlling interest, if you prefer to put it that way. How much they choose to exercise that control is another matter.

I can own 100% of a company, but be a hands off owner and choose to hire someone else to run it for me. That does not change the fact that I am the owner, I am in control and have as much say as I would like over what the company does.

And I verified the wiki info elsewhere, before posting a link. That was just the clearest statment in a single place that I ran across.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Mazda and Ford - The viewpoint of Sotoh Tatsumi

2009 Mazda6 will have some shared Ford technology and yet will be distinctively a Mazda. No worries.
    I'm not debating with you. I know that ford has controlling interest, but, they are not the outright owner.

I only threw in my tid bit of info on how the company might be run, because many here think that Ford having controlling interest makes Mazda a bad company, and commonly mistakes Mazda products as rebadged Fords. Which is totally untrue.
    I have no worries either. I love the current Mazda6 as it is, however, it is in need of a make over. I cannot wait to see what the new 6 will look like. I still have received nothing from my Mazda rep. I think she is withholding info from us dealers so it does not get leaked until the unveil.
  • robby1robby1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,I'm looking to buy a Mazda 3 i Touring with the airbags pkg. Do you know if there is any dealer cash I need to be asking for? I appreciate any help you can provide.
    None.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the dealer cash is yours?
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    This should probably have its own thread:

Hatch design is the best, then the Wagon and the Sedan does not look too bad either.
  • marcolou16marcolou16 Member Posts: 2
    Should probably read Mazda6 2008.
    Check this out.
    http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2008-mazda6-2/384634/
    Should probably read Mazda6 2008.
    No, 2009 is correct.

For 2008...............Once again

Official Press Release from Mazda USA....

MAZDA6 Sports Sedan & 5-Door*

The MAZDA6 set new standards for performance, driver appeal and styling when it was launched four years ago. As a vehicle that married sports performance with refinement and practicality, it has proven a huge sales success and picked up more than 70 awards for automotive excellence.

For 2008, the MAZDA6 gets even better with a new standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), BOSE ® stereo system (Touring models) and 17-inch alloy wheels (i Sport models).

New or enhanced for 2008:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) standard on all models
    Standard BOSE ® stereo system (Touring models)
    Standard 17-inch alloy wheels (i Sport models)
    New exterior colors – Volcanic Red (4-door model) and Silver Metallic
    Standard security alarm system (Sport VE and Touring)

*To better meet customer demands for the MAZDA6 Sports Sedan and 5-Door, the MAZDA6 Sport Wagon will be discontinued for the 2008 model year.
    I cannot wait to get one. I'm just very curious to see what the engine and drive train choices are...
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Obviosly taking what works in the 3.

I don't know why ALL makers don't put the glove box handle close to the driver. Boggles the mind, really. :confuse:

Sexy car, doh. Has that little something that the Altima just missed (A pretty face). ;)

DrFill
    Well, I noticed a lot of CX-9 in the new Mazda6. From the front end, rear end and interior, especially the gauge cluster.

I also noticed from all the pic's that this is the euro model. If you take a close look at the interior, it seems that the materials used at top notch. Use of a 6-Speed manual tranny. Multi setting heated seats, dual climate control. We will have to wait and see what Mazda gives us for the U.S.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Too bad for Mazda:

New or enhanced for 2008:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) standard on all models
    Standard BOSE ® stereo system (Touring models)
    Standard 17-inch alloy wheels (i Sport models)
    New exterior colors – Volcanic Red (4-door model) and Silver Metallic
    Standard security alarm system (Sport VE and Touring)

THE END
    Yeah, that could be a problem - the nice version will be in Europe while in the US some watered down version will appear. The US version should start making appearances at the car show circuit later this year.

Somehow I doubt no stability control will be available - that's almost a must in the category.
    The 2008 model is not the redesign in the US, not sure if it is elsewhere. The new version will be a 2009 model probably coming out early, maybe next spring???
    The US Mazda6 won't look like this (Euro version).

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/13664/2009-mazda-6.html?al=192

We'll get a different version, which will be seen in November in LA. No wagon.

Sounds like a mistake. This is a larger Mazda3, which is what the people want. Let's see if Mazda drops the ball. :surprise:

DrFill
    Funny...I thought they wanted a Camry, since 400,000+ per year are buying one.
    480,000+.

You are coming along just fine, young Skywalker..... :blush:

Mazda needs to build on success. The Mazda3 is a success. They sound unsure of themselves. Draw your own conclusions.

DrFill
    Don't believe what C&D say's. They have no clue. There is also no current plan to bring back the Mazdaspeed6 yet, either.
    This is a larger Mazda3, which is what the people want. Let's see if Mazda drops the ball.

This is not a "larger Mazda3". It looks more like the CX-9 more then the Mazda3. People in this segment do not want a Mazda3.
    People want the Mazda3, as it is Mazda's best-seller.

People don't want to move from a Mazda 3 to a larger version? If their family grows? If they want something sportier than Camry/Accord? Is that your point? Even the wheels are right off the 3! :confuse:

DrFill
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    This is not a "larger Mazda3". It looks more like the CX-9 more then the Mazda3. People in this segment do not want a Mazda3.

It doesn't matter what it looks LIKE (though I definitely see the 3 more than the CX9). This is the best looking car in the segment!
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Can't wait for the 2 door! (and there better be one!)
    Even the wheels are right off the 3!

Similar design to the Mazda3 s Touring/Grand Touring wheels, yes, but, also the same as the CX-7. Infact the front fenders and hood are a similar shape to the CX-7. The design is now Mazda's design theme. I really do not see much Mazda3 in the Mazda6, but, I guess it is really irrelevant.

People want the comfort that the Camry/Accord provide (although I do not think the Accord was all that great of a ride) and the sporty drive that the Mazda6 has possessed. It looks like the new Mazda6 gives you everything.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    I hear the v6 will be a version of the 3.7L v6 used in the cx-9. I guess Mazda wants to be in the horsepower war. However mazda could use the 3.5L v6 from ford as well.
    Either engine will be Mazdafied version of the same engine and either one will be fine. Mazda stated that the new 6 will have better fuel economy and be lighter than the previous 6. Yea!
    I am more interested in the specs. for the new 4 cylinder.
    Tomorrow, Mazda holds it's press conference at the Frankfurt Auto Show, and will go into detail about the 2009 Mazda6! Can't wait!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Looks like the 2007 Sebring that Chrysler should have designed and thats a good thing I feel!

Anyway the grille of the 09 6 reminds of the 02 Acura RSX and the headlights remind me of RX-8. The tailight shape looks like like a combo of RX-8 and 03+ 6. The lower portion of the front end reminds a little of RX-8 too. Alot of RX-8 in the exterior design elements of the 09 6!

I think the 09 6 the exterior styling tells me that they are trying to appeal to older folks that felt like that 03-07 styling of the 6 was too dramatic but at the same time Mazda is trying to appeal to 03-07 6 buyers as well. It looks like Mazda may have a winner here. I think sales of the 2nd generation 6(09+) should go up to 90K units-100K units yearly from the 03-07 6 sales that ranged from 65K-72K units selling yearly.

I think Mazda did their homework on this model! Anybody get shots of the interior for the 09 6?

The hatchack looks exceptional!
    All I can hope for is that Mazda will stop selling over 40% of Mazda6 into rental fleet sales.
    43% of 2007 Mazda6 were selling into Fleet!
    The effect on residuals is horrible!
    The effect on residuals is horrible!

Probably only an issue, if you paid a lot more than the typical fleet buyer did. In my case, if edmunds pricing function is to be believed, the "clean" trade in value of my 2007 Mazda6i is about $200 more than I paid 8 months and 7000 miles ago. Not that I have any intention of selling...

Also note that not all fleet sales are to rentals, there are other fleet buyers in the market.

The Mada6 has been selling at bargain prices for a while, it might be that the fleet buyers are just taking advantage of the value, rather than this being a case of Mazda "dumping" into fleets as Ford and GM had been doing in the past.
  • andycintiandycinti Member Posts: 2
    Sooo, is the car that was unveiled at the autoshow coming into the US as an 08 model year this fall, or next year as an 09 model? Edmunds and card and driver seem to have some conflicting information on this. :confuse:
    Neither. That's the Euro version of the '09 6. The US version could be quite different (and not as good looking). Probably will debut at the Detroit show in Jan.
    But Mazda US may lobby for this one, with enough positive feedback. This may just guage interest for Mazda.

They seem to have another, larger version up their sleeve for the US. :blush:

DrFill
    Where did you see that? Mazda cut back fleet sales this year. It was left up to the dealers to sell them as fleet.
    That's the Euro version of the '09 6. The US version could be quite different (and not as good looking).

That is incorrect. Have you not seen the spy photos of the masked Mazda6 driving around Detroit? Even Mazdausa.com has posted the same car that you are looking at now, on their website.

The next Mazda6 will be a 2009, offered in mid 2008.

I went to a Mazda function this week, and they confirmed that the Mazda6 you are seeing at the Frankfurt Autoshow, IS that Mazda6 we will be getting. With little differences here and there. But, the body will bew the same.
    The fleet statistics were taken from www.fleet-central.com when industry stats. for 1st half of 2007 were reported.
    Then C&D and a few other outlets must have the story wrong. We'll know soon enough.
    Then C&D and a few other outlets must have the story wrong

Remember, they were going on rumors, no facts. Edmunds seems to think that the new Mazda6 is an 08 going on sale this fall. That is totally not true. I have 08's on order, and it's the same as the 07.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    If mazda were not changing out the six early then and keeping the same model as a carryover why did they not then update the web page to show the current model as a 08 offering. For example, notice how the information on mazdausa.com for the 3 is now posted as 08 with no changes to the model for this year.
    Because the 2008's are not totally out yet. I have had 2008 Mazda3's in my inventory for over a month and a half. I just received my first two 2008 Mazda6's today, and they are no different then the 2007's. With the exception of a few features.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    From what I can see in spy shots from the Detroit area, the only differences will be:
    - front/rear fascias; likely for NA crash standards
    - headlamp/taillamp design; likely to keep family resemblance with CX-9, etc.; perhaps Mazda's design direction
    - exhaust tips; NA version are contoured like CX-9, not round like the Frankfurt pics

We can only hope that all three versions make it to North America. That wagon is so hot!

Dave
    I noticed the rear exhaust tips, they are very similar to the CX-9.

As for the front and rear fascias, the camo really hides it, but I think it will basically be the same.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    but it has a strong hint of lexus is/ current nissan altima to it. But still very nice looking.

if it drives how it looks, it seems that the current cushy ride camry, best balanced accord, and best handling 6 will keep their themes.

Dunno who it was who said the new camry is sportier than the new accord, but that simply makes no sense. In what way is it?

the design also has some strong hues of the 3.
    Woo-Hoo! :D

The Camry definitely LOOKS sportier than the Accord, especially the SE. The Accord is as conservative as they could make it. The Mazda doesn't have that problem.

The humps (fender flares) work much better on the Mazda than they do on the S-Class. :)

DrFill
    Which is the best balanced of those three, is a matter of opinion/taste. For some the Camry would provide the best balance for others the Mazda6.

I'm sure what you meant was that the Accord is between the Camry and Mazda6 in terms of ride and handling.
    I have seen the new Accord in person, and it looks better then the pictures. It does have a lot of styling cues found on the BMW 5 series. It is also huge, according to the EPA, it is a full sized sedan.

I really am not a fan of the Camry, and I think Toyota took a lot of styling cues from the current Mazda6, especialy in the front and rear. I would assume the Accord is a better handler then the Camry as well.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I really am not a fan of the Camry, and I think Toyota took a lot of styling cues from the current Mazda6, especialy in the front and rear."

Well I agree Toyota took styling cues for the front end design of the Current Camry from the front of the current Mazda 6 but the rear of the Camry screams 02-06 Lexus ES though.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    yes, exactly what i meant.