Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• JasonWJasonW Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I am having a couple of potential problems with my '05 Odyssey transmission that I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on.

The van has about 86,000 miles on it and I've started noticing the following couple of issues:

1) After being in park, and usually when the tranmission moves from 1st into 2nd, there is a brief sort of grind or scrape sound. This only happens when I've been in park before driving. The transmission seemingly shifts fine between all gears after the above occurence happens once (i.e. when repeatedly starting and stopping during normal city driving, etc.).

2) Not very often does it happen, but I've recently noticed what I guess is a temporary shudder when I'm lightly accelerating or maintaining speed. The shudder goes away when I let off the gas or accelerate more. When in cruise control on road trips, this issue hasn't occured.

Regarding #1, has anyone experienced this?

Regarding #2, my van is equipped with VCM. Since the tranmission is only acting up in the way I've described when the pedal is slighly pressed to maintain speed or slighly accelerate, could this issue possibly be related to the VCM which tends to switch between 3 and 6 cylinders when maintaining a certain speed?

Thanks for any help or advice offered,

Jason
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    well, #1 sounds like the ABS self check. It is pretty noticable on our '05 EXL. It doesn't really have anything to do with being in park. The van does it every time it is first started, at right around (IIRC) 13 or 17 mph. This is normal.

#2 I am interested in. Ours does something similar recently. I also have an Acura TL with 150K on it that does the same thing, but more pronounced.

From some reading, the 2 things that seem to cause this are the torque converter, and a gunky EGR system. Not sure with the TC if it is the unit itself, or the clutch that locks/unlocks it. But I am certainly interested in finding out if you do!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• coredumpcoredump Member Posts: 9
    I have an 05 EXL with about 98K on its third tranny.

I have experienced #1.

For the longest time I was experiencing #2 and always thought that it was the tranny, but I replaced the spark plugs about 500 miles ago and that seems to have been gone.

The car feels like brand new, now that I am running it with all synthetic fluids including tranny fluid and new plugs (after the new plugs, the cabin noise has significantly subsided).

Looking at one of the old spark plugs, I can say that the 100k tune-up is total BS from Honda. Seems like the VCM can't deal with spark plugs that are ready to be replaced. Next time I will replace the plugs wat 50K (bought the plugs from amazon at half price of what the dealers charge - same ngk iridiums that are oem for newer hondas and acuras. Had my dealer put those in for me.)

I also have an acura tl 05 with 70k and will probably replace the plugs about 75k.

If you do put new plugs could you please update here with your experience?

Hope that helps.
  • JasonWJasonW Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info guys.

I'm bringing the van in for some routine maintenance next Friday and I'll have the spark plugs looked at and probably replaced. I'll let you know if it solves the issue.

I think I will also have the tranny flushed. I'd like to know how the fluid looks ...and I'm interested in replacing it with synthetic, but should I use a certain type (after having found a good mechanic years ago, I no longer go to Honda for maintenance and I save a lot of money, while being confident of the quality of work done)?

By the way, can the torque converter be checked out easily to determine if it's working correctly? Or is it usually just replaced when it's suspected to be the cause of certain problems? Thx.

Thx.
  • coredumpcoredump Member Posts: 9
    Refer to my previous posts. After much research, I have settled for the Amsoil fluid but did not do the flush using the flush machine method. I had my Honda dealer put the Amsoil fluid in for me over 3 "drain and fill" method. The tranny has gotten smoother each time. I now have about 25K miles since the point I put in the amsoil fluid for the very first time and I am very pleased with the results.

BTW, make sure you ask for the old plugs back and see how they look.
  • verstoversto Member Posts: 1
    My Honda Odyssey 2003 Transmission finally gave out this columbus day weekend. Its been bad for about 3 years now and I figured I'ld run it till it died. Back at about 60K I took it to the dealer and they said the recall had been applied by the previous owner (I'm suspiscious). I asked for the name of the dealer where this took place and it mystiriously closed so no information was available. No fix was offered to me at that time.

Now at about 90K the transmission failed. I went back to the dealer and was happy to hear the service managers' kind words "Honday may cover the parts at 100% but you will pay for labor". Well that sounded great but the next day he said that Honda would only cover 50% of parts leaving me stuck w/ the rest of the bill. (very dissapointed). I would pay in excess of $3,000 wich included a new designed trans along with computer. So its obvious that thier initial design had problems.

I've read alot of familiar things on line. I wrote letters, made calls and ultimately was just making myself frustrated w/ this as all I got was the run around from Honda USA.

I think that w/ as much revenue Honda makes that this error should be covered by Honda 100%. It will be a sad day when someone gets hurt or dies due to this bad design.

Ive owned 5 Honda's in my lifetime. But because of this injustice I will spread the word and I'm going with Toyota from now on.
  • betty24betty24 Member Posts: 1
    the van that will not shifting in overdrive if the engine is cold. But it will shifting went the engine warm up about 5 or 7miles of driven it but if the van sit a long time and it cold down then it will do it again
  • rikfrerikfre Member Posts: 57
    My tranny started to go bad. The D was blinking on the shifter display. Honda Corporate told me to go the dealership.For many reasons, I do not trust Honda dealerships. I went to a transmission shop locally that seems to be making a very nice living out of repairing Honda transmissions, It cost me $3000 and they gave me a generous warranty. They showed me the QUALITY clutch packs they was using and rebuilt the COOLING system of the transmission giving me a REAL tranny cooling radiator. I asked Honda Corporate to reimburse me and they refused stating that I did not go to a dealership. I have the old transmission parts showing the heat damage. If anyone hears of a lawsuit against Honda for KNOWINGLY selling vehicles with defective transmission (yes, they knew), please contact me thru this forum.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    There is an attorney in NY taking names for a second lawsuit for 2002+ Odyssey's. Did you call them and give them your info? Supposedly once they have enough people they will file a class action lawsuit.
  • caseyh1caseyh1 Member Posts: 4
    One day we just woke up and the gear shift on the steering column no longer required us to pull the lever toward us and then move it down into gear. Now it requires just a very slight pressure downward and it just ratchets through gear positions . Also, "D" no longer catches the downward movement and it can easily go down past it or pop up to Neutral or Reverse.

The dealer thought it was the 'shift interlock solenoid' wearing out. But everyone else who has that kind of problem is having it get stuck in Park, which we are not. I'm pretty handy and don't mind getting into it but I don't want to just throw parts at it until it is fixed.
  • 02honda02honda Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the name of that attorney?
    I have a 2002 odyssey with 115,000 miles on it. For the last few months, my rpms rev really high and I can't increase speed past 15 mile per hour. This happens about once a day. My gear shifting is also sort of "clunky". Check engine light went on one day when I tried to accelerate up a hill but it seemed the car wouldn't switch to 3rd gear. Once I stop the car, everything is fine until the next day when it does it again. I'm assuming I have the same problem as everyone else. Not too happy about the thought of paying over $3000 to have this fixed if Honda has a problem they know about.
  • nasir1997nasir1997 Member Posts: 5
    My 07 Odyssey with 27000 miles :lemon: has all ping service bulletins clunk pop sound bulletin performed cant be still same problem. Dealer decide to do software upgrade and guess what...... The same Judder"Honda Verbage" between 20-45mph the dealer has the car again 5 days later.. The worst part of all the torque converter is on back order...so that should tell you something about this major defect..Remember I have 27000 miles and not driven hard at all..now engine and tranny are cr@p.
    Not bashing just to hate(we love the Odyssey but not the major problems they will not admit to openly..
  • holshouserholshouser Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem, with a 2002. We have 114K miles. What did you do to resolve your problem? I'm being told that they need to drop a new tranny into the van. Cost = $4,200, at a Honda dealership.
  • greasy_edgreasy_ed Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the transmission in my 2002 Accord (107K miles) fail. Typical symptoms recited here...studder going into 2nd gear, jumping in and out of neutral shifting from 2nd to 3rd, etc. Honda Customer Service assigned a case # and case manager to my request for a goodwill repair. Since I was the third owner, I knew it might take some time, but since the Honda Dealer in Franklin, TN was fine with me leaving the car there, and I had a vehicle I could borrow, I was in no particular hurry to get done quickly. After sending Honda my service records and the inspection sheet from where the car was sold as a Honda Certified Pre-Owned, I was told that Honda would reduce the cost of the repair by 50% (normal list price for a transmission replacement is $3900...Honda offered the repair at $1950). While I am hugely disappointed that Honda has these issues, I think the Dealer in Franklin and Honda Customer Svc gave me more consideration than most have received based on what I have read in this forum and others.

I tell you all that because, I also have an 04 Odyssey, which my wife and I purchased new in Sep-04. The van has just over 60K miles, and we recently noticed that when the engine speed was around 1500 rpm and the transmission was in 4th gear (typically between 25 and 40 mph on flat grade), the car would feel like the engine was missing. After further investigation, I have become convinced that the torque converter is jumping in and out of overdrive. Since the problem was getting worse, I decided to go ahead and do service on the transmission to see if it helped.

The service manual for both the 02 Accord and the 04 Odyssey recommend that you drain and refill the transmission fluid using Honda brand transmission fluid, then drive the car 20 minutes or more, then drain and refill, then drive 20 minutes, then drain and refill, then drive 20 minutes, then drain and refill. Because I could only drain and refill the transmission 3 times with one case of transmission fluid, I purchased a case of transmission fluid and did the first brand refill earlier this week. The symptom nearly disappeared after the first brand and refill. WOW! I did the second drain and refill yesterday and will do the final dran and refill today.

I highly recommend that, if you have not already, do the service I described above. Then do at least one drain and refill annually. More often if the transmission fluid is really dark and dirty. REMEMBER...Only use Honda Transmission Fluid and DO NOT do a flush using a machine that forces fluid into the transmission...HONDA strongly discourages transmission fluid flushes in user manuals and in other bulletins.
  • candyman87candyman87 Member Posts: 6
    Did you all ever figure out #2? I've got the same problem....shutter just around 20 to upper 20's, every now and again the same thing at 40'ish. My local dealer told me it could be the EGR, I suspect the tranny though. It's been doing it since February, and is sometimes worse than others, but not always, and it still acts the same as when it first started most times. I need to flush the tranny, and from what I'm reading it looks like we shouldn't do the machine method, and perhaps should use synthetic, although I don't know if that effects any "goodwill" that may be forthcomming since my van has about 84K on it (although it only had around 74K when I first reported to Honda). Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
  • cottdukecottduke Member Posts: 11
    Took mine ('04) to a Honda dealer and then an Acura dealer who works on local Hondas, in order to diagnose the mystery problem #2. Asked both to check EGR...both diagnosed as initial signs of torque converter problem, not clogged EGR valve. Service manager at Acura dealer is a family member and a stand-up guy, so I have no reason to not to believe the diagnoses. Haven't had the repair done (goodwill offer was to split the repair cost 50/50), but will update and let everyone know if that does the trick.
    Thanks for the prompt response. Did any of the mechanics suggest flushing the tranny, or suggest if this may help to eliminate/alleviate the problem. Just curious. I was thinking of having this done at the dealership to establish a link with this particular problem.
  • kevo3kevo3 Member Posts: 4
    Heard from a friend his '07 Odyssey with similar Transmission behavior had some recall warranty work done at local Honda Dealership. Seems to have had the computer brain-box rebooted, but still experiencing a shudder under mild acceleration. I have mine in at the moment; the technician hooked up diagnostic tool, drove it and recorded electronically what was happenning. Up to this point my '05 had not been included in the current recall, but my service tech contacted Honda and e-mailed the diagnostic data to them; they're covering the replacement of the Torque Convertor. I made mention of the annual Trans-fluid change mentioned here, and he said it never hurts to change the fluid once per year, and confirmed the power-flushes available (at other shops) would likely cause damage. If you don't hear from me in the next few weeks, then the issue has been resolved satisfactorily. :D
    please don't leave us assuming. It would be nice if you could post back exactly what actions taken, and the result (and of course, how much it cost!)

Thanks for the reply. Did your tech guy mention if the 04's or 05's would eventually be included in any recall? Had you had your fluid changed prior to the problem? What did they charge you for the electronic diagnosis? Any info is helpful Thanks again.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    Jared Stamell is the attorney.
    It's the same dealership from whom I just purchased this used '04 Odyssey...they've mentioned that the fluid is clear and have not mentioned draining/refilling. I think they may have done this before putting the van on the lot. You might read up on some of the posts regarding the use of AMSOIL fluid instead of the standard Honda transmission fluid. I'm still up in the air on this one...since dealer is splitting the cost of a new torque converter with me, I'm hesitant to do anything that might void any sort of built-in Honda part warranty. As others have said...make sure it's a drain/refill, not a flush.
    what is the cost of replacing the torque converter? I have seem prices posted for a whole tranny (which I assume includes a new TC), but never for the TC by itself.

Due to being within the limits (under 80,000 miles / 12 months) of our extended warranty purchased with the used '05 Odyssey, I won't be charged for the diagnostic check-ride data download. The dealership is having difficulty getting a Torque Converter at the moment (HUGE Demand??) When I finally get it back, I'll look to see if these costs are itemized with the test codes, etc. Back to you later if I get details... :D
  • zabszabs Member Posts: 3
    I took in my Honda for a software update after receiving a notice from Honda Canada.The vehicle was on about 45000 KM when I took it in.
    After the update the vehicle started shuddering at about 55 km/h.Took it in once again and to sort it out and now it's even worse.Took it in again today and was told they would need to replace the Torque Converter.I am told its on back order which is what (kevo3) mentioned in the post before this...
    Is anyone else having the same problem and what does this part cost?
    I picked my '05 Odyssey up from Local Honda Service this evening. Honda covered 100% of the parts / labor, and my itemized reciept did not show any amounts for the diagnostic check-ride, data down-load link, the Torque Convertor, Trans flush/ replacement of fluid, or the rear shock absorbers (un-related) The Service Advisor was unavailable, so I wasn't able to ask what those charges would have been. I'm unclear as to whether everything was covered under Mfr factory warranty, or pecifically because we had chosen a "Certified Honda Vehicle" and purchased the additional drivetrain warranty last December. I did drive it through town and onto open highway, and the problem seems to be completely gone. I had a very pleasant experience, and would likely purchase another Honda in the future; (The additional warranty has more than paid for itself, it would seem.) :)
  • odysy07odysy07 Member Posts: 2
    Have the same issue with My wife's 07 Odyssey. It has 35K on it and has been experiencing the issue for at least the last 6K. The issue was really when in third gear not accelerating too hard when RMP was in between 1200 and 1400 it would feel like a slight downshift and back. You could actually see the RPM guage go up a tenth and then back down. She took it in yesterday and the reprogrammed the ECM module. They said that the re-program fixes 50% of the cars and the other 50% need their Torque converter replaced. They said hers was all set. I drove the car when she got home last night and it was WORSE. It was shuddering and bucking into second gear. I had her bring it back today. They are ordering her a new transmission. I will let you know how it goes....
  • phlion79phlion79 Member Posts: 11
    Symptoms of my odyssey are similar:
    shudder under mild accel. @ 45-50
    jumps / slips @ 60
    RPM playing around tenths at these speeds -- jumping up a bit.
    Please let me know how it goes.
    Our local Honda dealer replaced the torque converter. This FIXED the problem. :)
  • party_busparty_bus Member Posts: 4
    I have the exact same issue with my Odyssey, and I have 34,541 miles on my vehicle. I want to be sure and get this fixed before the factory warrenty runs out at 36K. I would like to know if anyone who had this issue, had it fixed and then had it happen again? Is this an ongoing issue?
  • party_busparty_bus Member Posts: 4
    Honda just called me back and it is the Torque converter! They are going to replace it free of charge because it it still has 1400 miles left in the factory warrenty....whew!!! Glad I did not wait any longer. I will leave another message after the repair is complete to let people know the results of the fix.
    The power train warranty from Honda is 5 years, 60k, and should cover a torque converter, as it is a transmission-type issues. What are you referring to re: the 36k warranty? This is the bumper-to-bumper one, as far as I know.
  • dannyj1dannyj1 Member Posts: 1
    We are a family of 5 looking for a vehicle. We came across a nice, well kept, 2001 Honda Ody. We are very interested in buying it. It was checked by a mech and he said that it only needed transmission mounts and a oil leak around the timing belt fixed. He valued these repairs at $400. But after reading different reviews, I am concerned that we are not making a good choice. We have to purchase this vechile today, could anyone tell me what they think. The van has 150000 miles on it, and runs really well. We can not afford to purchase this car, and then have something major to be fixed. This is taking everything we have, just to purchase it. Please share your thoughts and experience with me.

Thank you for your time
    well, my opinion is stay far, far away from this van. 150K on anything is a lot of miles, and a 2001 ody with the original tranny (if it si)? A time bomb baby. And if it needs mounts (motor? Not sure what he is replacing) and the T blet cover is leaking, $400 sounds optimistic (especially once they open it up and see what else in in there!)

You didn't say what the price on this unit is, but Hondas tend to be quite high priced used (paying for the name and repliability rep, which this model didn't earn). Knowing what you want to spend will make a difference.

If you have to have a minivan (with 5 kids, a nice idea!) you can probably get a Chrysler with 1/2 the miles for the same price (and likely less risk). Slightly newer, amybe a Mazda MPV (the newer style).

lots of other options if you can get away without a minivan of course.

• autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    Instead buy a Toyota Sienna from 2005 & up.
    I wold go with a 2005 sienna over a 2005 odyssey (now, obviously I didn't make that call in 2005!0, but I'm guessing it will be way out of the OPs budget!

Maybe a 1998-2001 Sienna? They seem to be pretyt robust.but again, you will pay 2X for the name.

• tmock13tmock13 Member Posts: 38
    Stay away from this lemon. Honda Odyssey from 1999-2004 are known for their faulty transmissions. I currently own a 02 Odyssey EXl and had to fix my transmission this past July 09. The cost of repairs was $3200 at AAMCO Transmission. The sad thing was their was another Odyssey, 2001 model, on a lift with a bad transmission at the shop. My Odyssey had only 41200 miles when the transmission started slipping and ended at the shop. I called American Honda Corp to complain and they acknowledged that there was a transmission problem on Odysseys 1999-2004. Honda agree to send me a check for $1000 as a "good will" gesture after i fax them my receipt from AAMCO. Honda is only handling this problem on a case by case basis. So, if you are still keen on a minivan, go with a Toyota Sienna. I know I will when I'm in the market for a minivan again next time.
  • odyssey01ownerodyssey01owner Member Posts: 4
    I would also stay away from this van... We bought a 2001 with only 80,000 miles on it last year and had to replace the transmission only 6 months after we bought it. It cost us $2700... we paid $7600 for our van, add the two together and we could have bought more like at 2005... or rather a new van of another brand... we plan on keeping our van around till it can no longer move to get our money's worth out of it... sorry!
    Get a Toyota Sienna instead if you're looking for a van around this manufacture year and price range. Consumer Reports shows no tranny or engine problems for the '01 Sienna, but significant tranny problems for the '01 Odyssey.
  • vanmom6vanmom6 Member Posts: 12
    My 2001 Ody (original owner/perfect maintenance record) had the trans. replaced recently at 108k. I had to really fight with Honda American. And I've heard horror stories about having to replace the trans. a second and third time! I would be very wary about buying this year/model with its PROVEN record of irreliability!
    Sorry.
  • aomoralesaomorales Member Posts: 5
    Hello, everybody I am just new here at the forum but I am an owner of 02 Odyssey. We have bought the van last May, 2009 since my suv was totaled. Me and my wife decided to look for a weekend car since we already owned two cars and we need a bigger space when traveling out of town. We bought the van thru Craigslist.com for 6.9K. The owner listed the van with a 99k miles, brand new tranny and ECM which was replaced by Honda which he provided the paperwork for the service that have been done. Now, after couple more maintenance like replacing the timing belt, new sets of tires the van was running fine, Until one day two months ago and up to now I have noticed that when the van is in idle or park while engine running the RPM suddenly becomes erratic for unknown reason. My wife noticed it too and asked me if there is something wrong with van...I told her it probably needs a tune-up but I am not sure really on what is going on. The erractic on idle doesn't happen a lot only after I started it after a week or two week being park at the drive way.
    Any idea guys on what's going on internally on my van? Your comment will be greatly aapreciated.
    thank you.

02odyssey3rdowner
    This is not a transmission issue.
    Had the torque converter replaced last week----ran about $670 out of pocket, since dealership paid 50% (only had van about a month---purchased used from Honda dealer). This seems to have taken care of the shudder---I haven't felt that definitive "rumble strip"-type shudder since the repair. Of course now I am sensitive to every vibration, bump, or rough spot in the road...but I think that's paranoia more than anything. In short...the torque converter replacement, in my opinion, seemed to do the trick for me.
  • rdoudrdoud Member Posts: 1
    feel the shifting when going into and out of economy mode. Even feel shifting when not changing to economy. had software update and replaced torque converter. RPM needle fluxuates as if you were accelerating when at constant speed. Still having occasional juddering between 30 & 40 mph. Returning to dealer today. Not sure how to handle?? Appreciate any suggestions.
  • gr26gr26 Member Posts: 12
    Same issue with me, except 2001 Odyssey, 90K miles. A month ago they serviced the TX fluid twice. Over the last month that's improved the problem quite a bit, but not fully. Today took it back, and they said replace the TX. Honda of America would cover 25% of the cost of the TX itself. Still, total out of pocket would be about $3200.

If the only time I sense a problem is when the torque converter locks in, should I replace the entire TX, or just the torque converter. Given the frequency of problems with the TX itself, I am contemplating doing the whole job. Just the torque converter (with labor) is around $1600.
    What are experiences going with Honda Dealer or an Independent (or Chain) Transmission Shop? I can get 36 months/36K mile warranty from Honda Dealer. What do independent shops usually provide in terms of warranty? Do most independent shops use OEM transmissions? Thoughts?
    My Honda dealer quoted me about $1600 for the TC only (Honda would cover about $200 of this in my case), and about $3900 for the whole transmission (Honda would cover about $700). Dealer says the labor is the same either way ($800+ of the cost).
    >> feel the shifting when going into and out of economy mode.

Pay close attention to this -- I went for a ride w/ a honda tech and showed him 3 issues w/ my 2007 ody:
    1) the judder (easy to recognize)
    2) tach jumps in 1/10s when in 3rd gear, primarily
    3) punch, or "shift" feeling (similar to what you describe).

Tech said all 3 were the tourque converter -- I was surprised @ #3, b/c on these forums I had been led to believe that #3 was just going into / out of VCM. He said that if the VCM theory were correct, the punches should loosely correspond to when ECO light comes on. He said ECO might not exactly be when it goes into VCM or comes out of it, but it is within a few seconds of it... The punches I was experiencing, he said, were the torque converter stop plate slipping.

Anyway, they did the software update, and said this fixed the problem. I said I wanted a tech experienced w/ this problem to take it for a test ride before I pick it up. They did this, and the tech found the judder on 5th attemp up a slight incline, under mild accel. So now they're putting in a tourque converter. Dealer said Honda cost for the procedure was $1660, for me it would have been about $2600. All covered under powertrain warranty.

On separate note, I asked if they've re-engineered the part now... Tech said as he understood it, they've deteremined the part was always OK, and the shift point definitions were the problem -- so the software update is what you ultimately need to prevent this from happening.
  • odydvdnavodydvdnav Member Posts: 3
    I'm planning on buying a new 2010 Odyssey. I saw this thread and got a little bit concerned. Does anyone know if Honda has resolved the transmission issues for the 2010 models? I appreciate your feedback.
    All I know is the "judder" service bulletin (09-051 (or is it 053?)) from late July of this year I believe only goes through 2009 vehicles -- in talking w/ the service guy, his sense is the software upgrade redefined shift points, and this takes care of the problem. I don't understand why this is so hard for Honda to get right -- this is age old tech.

I got my 07 back last night w/ new TX -- seems that problem is solved.