Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• junk_trannyjunk_tranny Member Posts: 1
    I bought my car new, and had every service done by the dealer. Now, with only 95,000 miles on it, they say I need a new transmission for $6,900. The dealer submitted a case to Honda America with all my service records, and within minutes they turned down the request for help and refused to do anything. Nothing at all. I feel completely burned by this company. Is there anything I can do to get some justice? Another class action lawsuit?
  • vanwaanabevanwaanabe Member Posts: 15
    I got the same run around and got similarly blown off. Then I went to the Honda Odyssey Facebook page and detailing my story: http://www.facebook.com/hondaodyssey?v=wall

I then called up Honda and told them what I was doing and it was my attention to let everyone know that Honda doesn't stand behind their products. I directed them to the page. I said it was magical that with Facebook I was reaching potentially millions of potential Honda owners and yet for $3000 Honda was willing to sacrifice much more. Magically, they fixed it for free the next day.
  • gr26gr26 Member Posts: 12
    Similar to my story. My 2001 tranny died at 91K about 1 year ago (although in hindsight it was showing signs of problems before that...wish I had that 20/20 back then). The $6.9K you were quoted seems high. I was quoted a little less than $4K at the Honda dealer (in New England) for a rebuilt tranny, installed. I would also get a quote or two from a local shop to rebuild your tranny...should be nowhere near $6900 (my local shop quote was about $2.2K if I recall). I contacted American Honda directly (after the dealer did), and they ended up paying for 50% of the parts. I paid for the labor. So, doesn't hurt to contact American Honda directly. You're still within the mileage limits of the extended warranty, although depending on your in-service date, you're around 2 years beyond the time (I was about 8 months beyond the time limit when mine failed). Good luck. Ended up fixing ours because I didn't think I could replace the vehicle for my net cost to repair it.
  • pgnagelpgnagel Member Posts: 60
    That price is insane. Jasper will sell your local shop a transaxle for much less. You will still pay about $3,000 to get it done, but Jasper offers a 100,000 mile warranty with their units.

If you live near Ohio, let me know. I'm a tech at a dealer and I rebuilt the transaxle in our 1999 Odyssey. The parts cost me $600 and I provided the labor.
  • 2005honda2005honda Member Posts: 6
    unfortunately it appears honda is going to deal with this one van at a time, and only by force, because it will still cost them less than simply saying, bring every van in for a 10 year period. There are several major problems they are not dealing with and simply can't afford to do it right by their products any more. Meaning that Honda is only as good as any other brand now, so adjust your expectations and shop around for your next car with open eyes. I am also stuck with a 2005 van with problems. Welcome to the new american life experience,...only as good as the rest of the world has had it for decades....and happy new year while we are at it.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    tHOnda has finally figured out what many re-builders have been saying for years. "Don't use the Z1 fluid."

HOnda has now discontinued it and replaced it with DW1..a synthetic. Great, 10 years of burn up clutch packs and torque converters and finally they get it.
  • ignorisblissignorisbliss Member Posts: 27
    Interesting you should say that because when I took my Odyssey into Honda for transmission service recently they used DW-1 and not the old Z-1. The curious part is that when they do a tranny fluid "flush" that only gets out about 1/5th of the fluid. To completely "change" the fluid you have to do a procedure detailed at accuratecars.com.
    Essentially you drain, fill, and drive 5 times to get rid of all the old Z-1 poison out.
    The DW-1 is expensive, it cost me $240 to do the above procedure properly, but it may save your tranny. Also accuratecars.com recommends that on Honda's you "flush" once a year, about 15,000 miles every year once you have the new DW-1 in the van.
    Hope this works!
  • jena4jena4 Member Posts: 1
    At 56K (Nov 2006) had transmission replaced under warranty. Now, at 93K (Dec 2010) transmission failed again, and Honda America refuses to help based on mileage and age of car. We hav only ever owned Hondas, which meant nothing to them. The new transmission was quoted at $4985 + $500 for new engine mount. They have us over a barrel.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited January 2011
    Even for Honda, 2 trannys in 100,000 miles is depressing...get on the phone and do some shopping for another rebuilder that has a good warranty. I'm sure you can beat that $5,000 quote easily.

Then when you get your Ody back, don't ignore the tranny, it's very easy to do, but don't!

Change the fluid every year, install a Magnefine filter on the return line to catch the wear and tear from getting back into the case, don't use the HOnda Z1 fluid..ever.
    Use a good quality synthetic like Amalie it's only $5.08 a quart shipped to your door free shipping in a case of 12. I know a very reputable re-buider who sends his trannies out with a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty and that's the stuff he has used for years without a problem.
  • pgnagelpgnagel Member Posts: 60
    Actually, when you drain and fill a B7TA (the three shaft, four speed used from 1999 - 2001) you get about half the fluid each time. I know because I tore mine completely down. A service used 3.25 quarts, and the completely rebuilt unit took just less than 7 quarts. You can simply service the transaxle in your garage once a month for 3 or 4 months and get the same result.
    I like your advice on changing the tranny fluid every year or 15,000 miles.
    My question is, if you change the fluid that often do you really need extra filtering (Magnafine filter)? The tranny drain plug is a magnet and it should catch the little bit of metal in the fluid between fluid changes.
    I know it is extra insurance but do you really need it with regular fluid servicing?
    Yep that sounds about right. My vehicle is the 2007 Odyssey that is the four shaft five speed so it may use a bit more fluid. I just did a complete change because my fluid was pretty dirty. It has not been changed since I bought it new.
    But now after doing a complete change and the fluid is nice and pink again I think a drain and fill once a year should be fine.
  • wackywandawackywanda Member Posts: 3
    Hi all - We are selling old 2005 Ody (100K mi) and are considering a newer (2008 or 2009) Toyota Sienna or Ody. IF the Ody is a Certified Honda, then as we understand it, it comes with the Powertrain Warranty up to 100K covering the Engine, Drive System and Transmission. Would this Warranty protect us against these major transmission failures??
  • ughh_4_transughh_4_trans Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 Honda Odyessy has had 3 Transmissions and Now needs a 4th! I paid for the last one and it only lasted 14 months about 12K miles! They have serious problems!

I will never buy another Honda They DO NOT stand by their products!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    if you get it certified, the tranny will be covered under the CPO warranty while it is in effect.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    When I read about the DW-1 issue a few weeks back on this forum I contacted the dealer who said I could immediately go & replace 3 litres. I did this and everytime I have service of any sort from now on I will ask for a ATF drain and add the new DW-1. So within 4+ drains and refills I should be on mostly DW-1 (99%-100%). Each time is costs me $64.50. They have beem using the DW-1 since 3 months ago and now all the vehicles use only this type. I mentioned before that I have a aftermarket cooler, but do not row.
  • wackywandawackywanda Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the info. We decided on a 2010 Toyota Sienna instead of a 3rd Ody... I love it!
  • patnicpatnic Member Posts: 27
    Just wanted to post my story.

Transmission problem at about 83K. Took into Honda dealer. Told me I needed a new transmission. Quoted me $3K. In disbelief - hello, this is a HONDA! Anyway, I turned on the feminine charm and asked the customer service guy (at the dealership) what would he do if he was me. He said get on the phone to Honda USA. So I started that process. I was very nice, but insisted that a HONDA should not need a new transmission at 83K. Told them I've always bought Hondas, my brother works at GM, maybe I need to start looking at GMs, etc. Also, when I took my car into the shop, the Mississippi Honda area representative guy was in the Michigan shop getting his oil change. He too, said, that it shouldn't happen and he called his peer in the Michigan area. Anyway - it ended up being I paid 10% and Honda paid 90% of the transmission.

And to top it off, I was in at Honda yesterday and the new car salesman who has sold Hondas for over 20 years, made the comment that "Honda took care of all the 2003 transmission problems" - not via a recall but on an individual basis. I had to correct him, that if it wasn't for the Mississippi rep and the customer service guy in the repair department, I might have had to shell out $3,000!

So anyway, looking to replace our 2003 with a 2011 Ody. I hope I don't shoot myself in the foot for buying another one. My husband is insisting on the extra warranty!
  • scottybscottyb Member Posts: 83
    2005 98,000 miles suspected trans failure. Have had pronounced whine in 3d and 4th gear for 40-50k miles, which I was told was "normal vehicle function." Can anyone who has successfully received a goodwill repair on an 80+ k mi Odyssey let me know with whom you dealt at American Honda?

Many thanks.
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    I had my '08 Odyssey in to the dealer for transmission juddering. This is the fourth time, the third time worked for 15-20k miles but started up again. The dealer installed the 4th software upgrade and for now it seems fine. Car has 64k miles on it.
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    We had the trans recall done around 70k miles I believe. But now :lemon: , about 120k miles, trans starts shuddering. I call Honda - Sure, we'll replace it for $3800 with the good will. So Aamco, who (I spoke with some local honda owners) supposedly does good work here will do for $2500. I can use the extra $1300 in my pocket, so I let them rebuild including torque converter which he said was shot. Now, 3 weeks later, after the car has been running fine, car DIES going uphill :sick: , check engine light on, won't go into gear (after we pulled to the side of the road). AAA comes, takes us to AAMCO, and the guy says there is an error code P0780 which has to do with solenoids. I asked him if he replaced them when he did the "total rebuild" and he said no, they were working at the time. :confuse:

So my question is, anyone else get this after a rebuild? Also, I think the class action suit is dead. I can't get a hold of Mr Stammell and his office line is always voice mail. His website is not functional. Anyone else going to sue Honda for this garbage?
  • robpwrobpw Member Posts: 5
    Honda did replace my torque converter past my 100k warranty free of charge simply because I have complained about the shuddering for years on my 2005 model. However, they did not replace the tranny and it is probably damaged from the years of dealing with this issue.
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I would guess no "probably" about it - just keep taking it to them for transmission service, or change your fluid regularly.

I also have an '08 Odyssey and you get routine service when the car tells you to - and it didn't give me any indication that it was time to change transmission fluid yet, but I did it anyways at 36k miles just in case.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I have a 2005, and I don't think the tranny fluid change even comes up until ~105K, if they call for it at all. although without a service schedule, it is hard to tell!

I have had mine changed twice (every 30K, and I just turned 6 years/60K on it). Preventive maintenance, paranoia, and since the dealer is the one doing it, they can't claim I didn't take care of it if it fails early!

Oh, I have a 2000 Acura TL, so I kind of cheat and use the service schedule in that owners manual to know when the bigger stuff should be done (same basic engine and tranny).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• odysseylemonodysseylemon Member Posts: 1
    Did this tactic (using social media to tell your story) REALLY work???

My 2001 Odyssey has had the transmission completely replaced 3 times and it just failed AGAIN.

Any luck dealing with Regional Parts and Service rep? Accelerating to the Zone Manager?

- Dean
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I'm having the shuddering problem also on my '06 EXL-NAV-RES with 80k miles. I first reported the problem to my Honda store around 59K miles and they performed the software update. Did nothing actually made it worse.

I returned the car again around 70k and Honda still tells me nothing is wrong.

Honda V6 transmissions have been failing at high rates since year 2000. I'm personally fed up with this BS after owning 3 Honda models with bad transmissions (2000 Odyssey, 2003 Accord V6, and 2006 Odyssey).

We need to get together and form another class action suit for the 3rd generation Odyssey. The torque converters are faulty and Honda is not owning up to the problem.
    i have found that the shuddering problem likely comes from the hydr engine mounts, front and back of the engine. Try to notice if it only shudders when the eco light comes on and less than all cylinders are being used which creates nasty vibrations. If so, each engine mount is about 700 to replace with or without the dealer and using dealer only parts. most people just keep driving with vibration and continue to enjoy better gas mileage than without eco. no there is no way to disable eco. honda thought of everything except how NOT to piss everyone off and cause them to form a class action suite. POINT IS, YES A HONDA CLASS ACTION SUITE IS IN ORDER AND IT IS REDICULOUS IT HAS TAKEN THIS LONG TO FORM ONE. IT SHOULD DEAL WITH ENGINE MOUNTS, TRANSMISSIONS, AND 2 OR 3 OTHER PROBLEMS THAT FREQUENTLY GET UNACKNOWLEDGED BY HONDA.
  • mlempiremlempire Member Posts: 34
    I have a 02 EX , at 89K the tranny died...Honda stepped up in 2009 and replaced it. I had the the prior recall/inspection done too ( they drill a hole in the tranny case, attach camera, take picture of a particular gear, if ok, install additional oil gallery line. If gear bad, free transmission. Mine was fine at the time.) I had the tranny fluid changed every 30K miles, about $100 and it gave Honda no way to not take care of it because the same dealer did all service work. Your relationship with the same dealer service department helps tremendously. The same dealers sales department are horrible and I walked away several times before I bought a van 100 miles away for $ 4K cheaper for same exact model. Honda has a customer satisfaction warranty they can use if they want.

In 2010 my daughters 02 accord tranny died at 104K miles, she had it serviced at the same dealer only a couple of times ( starving student for sure) they stepped up on hers too..no charge..known defect..hidden warranty by Honda. $3k Transmission installed for free.

Bottom line ...use the same dealer service dept for tranny service every 30Kmiles and Honda will step up.

Because they took care of my daughters car too, we are buying another Odyssey very soon.
    Toyota told me to pack sand on a recall for my Tacoma because it was over 36K miles, even with toyota extra care warranty( recalls not covered )I had my Toyotas serviced their for 25 years. never buying another Toyota. I have owned Camry, Cressida, Previa, Van, and 2 Trucks,
    they tossed me to the curb! This Odyssey was our first Honda, but not our last, only because of the service department.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    Facebook is a good idea, it was mentioned on this site too. Here are 5 steps that we all need to do:

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/Home/WhatToDo
  • papist1papist1 Member Posts: 4
    Another sob story regarding the poor engineering of the odyssey transmisssion. Almost no notice, and the engine light comes on and the TCS light comes on and the thing slips everywhere while on the highway. certainly dangerous to say the least. I wish Honda wouyld just do the right thing and re-engineer and replace all of these. I hope we as customers do not have to go to congress to get their attention and place govt demands upon them as toyota has been pressured with. I think if honda doesn't want to replace it for me, I will go to the BBB, my senator, and then call in to talk radio shows like limbaugh and others in the media to get attention on this situation. I see where honda has mistreated many people who aren't willing to be firm with them.
  • pinewoodpinewood Member Posts: 3
    I had to replace my transmission last year for $4800. I wrote to the CEO of Honda Japan last year. He referred the case to Honda America. They reached out to me and offered me $500. I declined to take that offer. The manager who spoke to me at Honda America was very rude. When I pointed out this site about the issue, he said he does not care about what people post on the internet and said it was unreliable. They need to be taught a lesson. May be we should do a facebook campaingn to bring Honda to Justice.
  • 101a101a Member Posts: 1
    Last year, the 2003 EX my wife and I bought for my in laws had the transmission go out at 84,000 miles. Honda "helped" a great deal, and the replacement only cost me $1,000.

Last week, at 89,000 miles, we lost the one in our 2003 EX-L. Thus far, Honda is offering to pay for half (net $2,700) of the replacement cost.

Both of these cases seem pretty good compared to what other people are experiencing, however, NEITHER, obviously, should have happened. Honda should have engineered a better unit; and when they realized what they had, they should have been stand up about it. They have not been. Regardless of how my particular case turns out, I have bought my last Honda. Any corporation willing to treat its customers this way, for THIS long, does not deserve MY business.
    I think we should call on our senators to take this issue up as they did with toyota last year. make them get the ceo of japan and america and put them through the wringer on t.v. in front of congress, and then regulate them big time over these safety issues. I have an in law who is a lobbyist.
  • ghar88ghar88 Member Posts: 3
    I'm sure many of us have made similar decision - No more business to HONDA and of course that passes on to generations to come.....
  • davedavid42davedavid42 Member Posts: 1
    Over the years my wife and I have had many Honda cars. We have always trusted the brand and the dependability of it. Today we own a 2001 Honda Odyssey and for the most part it has been a very reliable car. My wife drives it and uses it mostly around town to take our kids to and from their schools and sports. On November 9, 2010 the check engine light came on while my wife was driving my youngest daughter home from an outing. She had to pull off the 405 freeway heading southbound on Fairview in Costa Mesa. The car began to jerk back and forth and would not go past 45 miles per hour. She barely made it off the freeway when the car would not drive any longer. She called AAA and they towed her to Ray Fladeboe Honda in Irvine. The cost for the tow was $54.00. I spoke with the Service Manager Paul the next day. He offered a 15% discount off the $5,700.00 bill for a new transmission. That brought it down a small amount to $4,200.00. I told him we had already had a transmission put in February 2009. Just 26,358 miles later it failed. I thought it would still be under warranty since the usual warranty for a new transmission is 3 years or 36,000 miles. After many phone calls back and forth for three days I was told there was nothing they could do for me at Honda. I did some shopping around since I have 3 children and a wife to support and just don’t have the extra cash laying around. $4,200.00 is not easy to come by. I found a transmission shop which was willing to replace it for $2,324.00 with no towing fee. A significant savings and a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. I decided to go with them for the savings and the better warranty. I had to rent a car and it cost me $112.44. I find it strange that your warranty on the original transmission was 107,000 and it only made it to 98,749 TWO TRANSMISSIONS LATER! Don’t you see a pattern here? I think this is a major problem and should be addressed. It seems as though you are still installing faulty transmissions. I really do like Honda cars but am seriously going to look at Toyota when the need arises for another car. I felt I did not get what I deserved, especially on a defective transmission which only lasted 26,358 miles. Be aware I know many families with Honda Odyssey’s and will be letting them know to watch out, they may just have the same problem I had!

I have always been happy paying a little more at the dealership to have piece of mind on the service and warranty, but now I am forced to go to outside mechanics because I am afraid of something like this happening again.
    We had our engine mounts replaced when the A-pipe was replaced for the droning defect noise.

Our car never shuddered with the bad engine mounts. I know for a fact that our torque converter needs to be replaced. I'm unwilling to spend the money on a car that was meticulously maintained and pampered.

I have a 2001 Toyota Celica with 218k miles that never had any major problems. It even has the original clutch! My neighbor has a 1997 Toyota Camry with 268k miles all original - only brakes, tires, & oil change needed.

My history with Honda has not been that great. 2000 Odyssey two failed transmissions, 2003 Accord EX-V6 failed transmission at 59k, and now 2006 Odyssey bad torque converter.
    Is anyone in here a second owner and received hondas help on this issue?
    The 1997 Toyota Camry has the original clutch; therefore it's a manual transmittion and manuals are not probmactic as am automoatic. Honda is not the only manufacture with problems. Some Edmunds boards show problems with the Toyota Camry automatics where the they had to be replaced. It seems Honda gets the most NEWS.
    I have 270,000 kms on my 2002 Odyssey and had a transmission replaced with the supports at 170.000 kms. I had a warranty of 30,000 kms.
    Does Toyota have any class action lawsuits for transmission failures? Not to my knowledge.

Is it coincidence that 3 of my V6 Honda cars had transmission failures? All under 100K miles.
  • rita26rita26 Member Posts: 1
    Reading all these posts have been quite disturbing I guess I've been lucky to have made it to 107 thousand miles before experiencing transmission problems on my '02 Odyssey. But after doing all this reading it doesn't look like I have a chance in hell for any corporation from Honda. This sucks. 'Specially, since I just bought a '05 civic hybrid last week for one of my kids. Maybe I sure turn around and sell it.
    I have a 2002 (bought Feb 2002) as well & had to replace the transmission at 180,600 kms ( or 110.047 miles). I put an aftermarket transmisison oil cooler in this past August (Honda recommended over theirs). I do not tow. I just started to replace the tranny oil with Honda's synthenic (the only one they use since Apr 2011). I will keep replaceing it every 6,000 kms with 3 litres until I reach the capacity quantity); then every 24,000 kms. I currently have 271,000 kms on it. That's 165,000 miles. I got half my money back from Honda on the replacement or $2,100. I will drive it till it's over-the-hill. Then I will buy a used Odyssey or CR-V or maybe a CVT-Quest. I am a senior who will not be able to spend money like water.
    Although I put alot of kms on each year I do not treat it like a racing machine and I let the transmission decide when to change gears. I cannot believe how hot the transmssion can get if you floor it from a stop until it reaches 119,000 kms/hour on the 401.
  • ms_dee1ms_dee1 Member Posts: 1
    I was a previous owner of a 2000 Honda Odyssey, Van and had the transmission replaced 3 times by Honda but when it went out in Oct. 2010 for the 4th time Honda refused. Mindful, all work including oil changes were done by the Honda dealership where I purchased the van and was told it would cost $5,000.00 to replace it again and I would have to pay for it this time myself. What happened to standing by your product especially when I've done everything I was advised to do to keep my van in very good running condition. The reason I turned to a foreign auto was I thought for good workmanship and country that stood behind their product. The year before I had just spent $1,700.00 on it for normal wear of things. Honda knew they had a problem with the trans and acknowledged it. Then I'm put in a catch 22 situation where if I drove my van off the lot I wouldn't be offered the $1,500.00 they gave me to put down on another car. Well, I needed a car but could not afford a new one at this time so I had to settle for a 2008 CR-V. My Service Tech in the dealership couldn't believe Honda wouldn't honor my request for a new transmissionfor my van and was as upset as I was. The only reason I purchased another car from Honda and that dealership was because of my Service Tech there and the trust I have in him. Shawn Carr is his name and the dealership is in Lansing, Illinois. But, after thinking about this grave disappointment I'm going to trade this vehicle in and go back to an Amercian made car or van real soon!!! I AM A VERY UPSET AND DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER and yes Congress should call Honda (Japan) company out and put them on the spot to compensate us and be responisible for this faulty transmission.
  • boo_hondaboo_honda Member Posts: 3
    The third transmission in my 2000 Odyssey EX came with a 3yr/36k mile warranty. It was starting to show signs of failure within the warranty period, so I brought it back to the dealer for a warranty replacement. They said that there were 2 error codes (PO401 for the EGR valve and P1739 for the 3rd pressure switch) that were the cause of my shifting problems, but that they could not find anything wrong with the transmission itself. So, they charged me $1200 and sent me on my way. Well, a couple of months later, and by then 1900 miles past the 36k mile warranty, the transmission suffered a complete failure. Smoke was pouring out from under the hood and it wouldn’t shift into any gear. I had it towed to the closest dealership, and surprise… because it failed “out of warranty”, they wanted to charge me $5000 for a new transmission. So what should have been a free warranty transmission replacement a few months earlier was now going to end up costing me $6200?

I filed a claim with American Honda, but it got denied. I called multiple times to petition the denied claim, but each time was told there was nothing they could do for me. I wrote a letter to the president of American Honda (although I doubt it ever got anywhere close to him), and that too got denied. I filed a claim through the Bureau of Automotive Repair, and once again, Honda denied it. When I realized that Honda was never going to budge on this, I filed a small claims suit against them. It ended up being a pretty easy win. The judge ordered them to pay me $5000 for the cost of a new transmission and to reimburse me for the $1200 I spent on the dealership’s mis-diagnosis.

I’m not sure if the Honda representative they sent to court was told to lie, just didn’t know his facts, or was a complete idiot. One of the questions the judge asked him was if there was a known problem with the transmissions in this model and year. The judge said that he knows Honda keeps statistics on stuff like this and would know if these transmissions had a higher than normal failure rate. The Honda rep replied “Within American Honda, we don’t acknowledge that there is a known problem with these transmissions.” I then presented the judge with the warranty extension, the class action suit, a Honda press release and thousands of Internet posts. Really? Honda has no idea there’s a problem? This isn’t what ended up winning the case for me, but I thought this was an interesting interaction that everyone here would get a kick out of.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    You done good! What was Honda Corp. thinking? At least you got all your $ back but nothing for the aggravation? That's not right as stuff like this takes up your time & patience with something that could've been avoided if they just did the right thing in the beginning. You should've gotten something extra for the nonsense they caused in your life. Sometimes life just ain't fair!!! :(

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Well done. You spoke of a class action. Can you please give more information on the class action that you know of? I hope it addresses not only the transmission, but the torque converters, the engine mounts/eco vibrations, and programming/updates problems. Thank you from all of us.
  • boo_hondaboo_honda Member Posts: 3
    No new class action that I'm aware of. I was referring to the class action in 2006 that extended the warranty on 1999-2001 Odysseys from 7yr/100k miles to 7yr 9mo/109k miles.
  • sad04odyownersad04odyowner Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Odyssey with 102,000 is currently in the shop having it's transmission replaced. I just don't know what to do with it after. Have any of you had success with the transmission after it was replaced? It seems a lot of people talk of repeat failures.
    Thanks!
  • duffyhouseduffyhouse Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Odyssey with 158K on it-never had any transmission problems. This van has been a GREAT car with no major problems. So I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

But my check engine light did come on and my mechanic said that it was a code for the transmission, but he couldn't find any problems. The van was in for a check for everything, thought I would need a tune up of some kind, did not, just rotors and the front brakes needed replacing-only the second time I have had to replace the brakes. He "cleared" the code, said to drive it and if it came on again, to come back-that he knew that this specific make and model has had transmission problems-and that it might be time for a new tranny.

So the question is, what is an approximate life of a tranny? I used to be a VW bug mechanic back in the 70's, and I would like to think that any tranny's life would be around 175k-200k, but I also know that it depends on the driver, etc. I am a cautious defensive driver, never drive radically, anticipate my stops so I don't ride my brakes or tranny, service it regularly, etc. So I started doing some research on the Web and was amazed at how many problems other owners of this model have had.

I am planning on driving this van from MA to FLA in April. So you can imagine why I am wondering.

Thank you.
    I have a 2002. I drove it on many long trips in each year till the transmision needed replacing in 2007 at 184,000 kms. The tranmssion shifted weird and it needed the replacement close to home (60 kms) a trip we made every Sunday (Guelph [home] to Mississauga [Mississauga is a suberb in east Metro Toronto]). It currently has 272,100 kms. We never had a problem on long trips (Texas twice, Colorado, NB, ME, AK). If one makes it to 300,000 kms without a failure I would say that was very good. I NEVER had a replacement tranny in any of my previous vehicles. My last was a Taurus that I traded for the Odysseey which had 276,000 kms. The one before the Taurus was an E100 travel van with 267,000 kms. If you do not have a transmsiion cooler in put to in now (after market, not from Honda, whether you tow or not). Honda has been using synthetic ATL fluid since April 2011. Work on replacing the old fluid.