Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• remaxmikeremaxmike Member Posts: 1
    I am having a couple of issues with my 2006 Honda Odyssey that has 156K miles and I sure could use some good advice on what the problem(s) may be.

1. I believe I am having a transmisison issue as when I take off in the morning my van has a difficult time switching into the next gear. Sometimes it will shift with just a little jump and sometimes it has a harder time and I have to push the accelerator more to get the van to go. I have had the ATV fluid changed several times but never flushed and I have never changed the ATV filter.

Recently I have noticed some ATV fluid leaking from underneath the van and I am unable to tell where it is coming from. I thought it might be the drain plug but that area is clean. I had a new alternator put on a few months ago and the mechanic indicated that a couple of my motor mounts were bad.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to help me get this vehicle running right again.

Thanks,

Mike
  • hilapat12hilapat12 Member Posts: 26
    Having the ATV fluid changed or flushed doesn't help this problem in my opinion...my 2002 van has had the switching gears problem for around 3 years. I now have to start in second gear whenever accelerating, and if I don't go over 30 mph--I stay in second gear. To go over 30 mph...I get past 30 mph and then switch it to 3rd and then drive at the same time. The acceleration is tricky after this process, and then when I get past 40 mph--it is usually fine (for now). I don't take the van far, and I have my new transmission place information with me so I can have it towed there when it dies. Our vehicle has over 189,000 miles which they say we are lucky...Good luck!
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    You might want your dealer to look at a device that controls the accelerator pedal. I had to have something like this replaced on my 2002. I would push the pedal down only to find it 1st stuck at top than suddenly went down. It happen after I had parked it for a week on a slant in a friend's driveway while I was on a bus trip.
    Just before the bus trip I had to replace my engine seals. My dealer suggest I do this.
    These items were done back in 2005 at 180,000 kilometers. I currently have just under 300,000 kilometers.
    At 184,000 I had to replace my transmission at a cost of $cdn 2100. Two years ago I added an after-market transmission cooler.
  • jpohlingjpohling Member Posts: 7
    If you need a transmission for your Odyssey and have seen this company on-line..............

Do not do it! I cannot express my feelings enough! Just do not allow Rami Transmissions, e-bay seller Rami5566.718, aka YS&D Engine to supply you with a remanufactured (suposedly) transmission. If you live within walking distance of the shop them perhaps you have a chance in hell of receiving satisfaction. Unfortunately If you are using them via the internet to provide you with a replacement transmission then prepare to be ripped off!

The deceit and dishonesty runs throughout this FAMILY operation. Do some research and you will find that there are a number of unsatisfied customers. The 5 star reviews are from the family members themselves! I only wish that I had done a bit more due dilegence when researching this sham of an operation. Look at Kudzu.com 5 star review from ykadoch ! this is the e-mail address for the company! HAHA Check out showmelocal all bad reviews. I just wish I had done more homework before purchasing from them 3000 miles away.

All family members are obviously trained in the ways that they operate. I have not found one honest person on the other end of the phone yet. Rami, Amir, the wife, etc. All well versed in the art of telling you exactly what you want to hear with out ever delivering.

They knew all the right things to say on the phone, and seemed very knowledgable on the transmission issues. Remanufactured transmission with 2 year warranty (HAHAHA) with free torque converter and in line filter available for reasonable price! I took the hook! Initial purchase and shipping happened very quickly, But the transmission they supplied had issues from the start! Troubleshooted the problems directly with Rami! Thought it may have been a selenoid or something on my end. Replaced selenoids. This was never the problem. Rami finally says..............I will send you a replacement! Dont believe him!

At this point I am thinking its just my luck, but I do not want to belive I am being scammed. 2 months later............... excuse after excuse, need to wait for a core to rebuild one (what about my core that I returned that you never credited my account the $450.00 for the core refund?) Oh we just rebuilt three, waiting for the dyno to check. OK all 3 are good sending today. Wait wait , call for tracking number. Given bogus number. Call shipping company..........NO we never had a pick up for you!. Oh now Dyno is broken waiting for Dyno repair to test. OK, wait wait wait. OK here is pick up number xxx using new shipper. I call shipper! Oh yeah we have pick up scheduled, But we do not even deliver to California! WTF! This is over a period of several weeks where they dodge your phone number. I am now only getting thru by using friends cell phones from out of state numbers!! OMG then the numerous hang ups on me and the promisses to call back. And all of this is using “God willing” and other just rediculous comments that try to allude to the fact that they are somehow honest! HAHAHA

So in short! Do some more research! These people are scam artists. Luckily my Credit Card company agrees and I did not wait to long to start the restitution process, but these people are crooks and should not be allowed to prey on people on the internet. I am actually happy at the outcome now, because even if they had come thru somehow in the end I would not ever trust the transmission that they would have shipped to me so good riddance RAMI TRANSMISSIONS!

PS Rami transmissions..............its been over a week and I havent received the return phone call you promised “on your word” to return that day!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I assume you gave them a 0 on the feedback rating on ebay? When I read any bad comment before buying something, I take a long, long look. Just one bad one does it for me.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Unfortunately I am not able to review them on ebay as I did not ultimately purchase thru ebay. I found them there but contacted them directly to discuss the product, etc and ended up purchasing directly from them. I cannot see how i can comment on them on ebay in this situation?
  • hqly2001hqly2001 Member Posts: 92
    I just bought a exl res and while test driving I noticed a pinging noise but it was very subtle. I bought and now it's bugging me. I hear it when I accelerate and when it hits 2500 rpm and continues if I accelerate. I can feel and hear it clearly when I accelerate. I only put 20 miles on it so far.. Will this be a bigger problem later and is there a fix for the new car? Any recourse? Can I exchange?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I don't think you have any recourse. My '10 Pilot EXL that I traded for a CRV had the pinging problem. Honda service told me to try higher octane gas but that didn't work. Your Odyssey has the same VCM engine as the Pilot.

Check out Honda Pilot forum link title
  • hqly2001hqly2001 Member Posts: 92
    it's 2 days old.... how loud if your pining noise? I can hear mine when the radio is off.. and it's subtle but very annoying!
    Update! Never heard word one from Rami! No attempt at making things correct for the customer. No refund to my credit card from the transmission and torque convertor that was returned for a core charge of $450.00.

I had the transmission rebuilt locally and the vehicle is back in service! running nicely. Visited the rebuilder today to take pictures of the replaced parts. Removed parts were newly installed. Transmission from Rami had been rebuilt. Problem was the servo body was warped causing the shift valves to not function properly. This was an internal transmission issue that Rami should have warrantied immediately as they promised! instead of dodging my calls and all responsibility. That is inexcusable as a service / parts provider.

It is one thing to entice people to purchase based upon a longer warranty period. In this case two years as opposed to the one year I now have. But if you never intend on making good on the warranty its really just a sales ploy to hook people.

The biggest issue that is just unforgivable is to be an outright crook and not return your core charge. That is just plain thievery. And there is absolutely no defense for it! The shipping manifests have been published here for all to see. There is no question that they received my transmission and have not credited my account. So in my mind they can make every excuse in the book why they did not honor their warranty, but how do you explain plain and simple stealing $450.00 from a customer for a refundable core DEPOSIT?

It is really a shame that because they had a rebuild of theirs go wrong with a faulty servo body that they chose to blow me and my $1770.00 off and even in one post telling me to shove it! Is the reputation of their company really only worth a few thousand dollars?

I hope what they are starting to feel is the power of the internet and the sharing of information. One persons experience can make a difference. It will continue to be my goal to share my experience and spread the word that YS & D Engine and Transmission, doing business as Rami Transmission are without a doubt thieves. And I challenge them to disprove that fact.
  • dd09dd09 Member Posts: 4
    I really appreciated the facts and comments that have been shared on this site. I was an inch away from purchasing the Odyssey Elite when I came across this site. I called the dealership the next day and left a message for the General Manager whom I'd been on the phone with every day for 4 or 5 days asking questions and dealing. The last message I'd gotten was to call if I had any more questions, so I did. My question on the message was " how can he assure me that I won't get a faulty transmission?" Never heard another word from him or anyone at that dealership. They know what they have and are passing it off onto unsuspecting consumers. I feel as though I dodged a bullet!! Thank you to all who have written in this forum.
  • kseto007kseto007 Member Posts: 1
    jaydowns001

I cant believe I found your post on this issue. I had it happen to me twice but the dealer cant figure it out. They said all systems are running fine and they dont see any issues. Im hoping to record it on my iphone the next time it happens so I can show them.

Did you ever figure out what it is?

Thanks
  • ramy1995ramy1995 Member Posts: 39
    not sure if you mean my msge of somone elses . lete me know
    dan
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    There are over 750 document cases of bad Odyssey transmissions at this site:

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/

Everyone needs to post their story here too!
  • donethat_1donethat_1 Member Posts: 66
    I am not what this means. I have tried the website and nothing comes up on this topic. Is there a petition already out there?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    go to the home page, and search on honda. It will pop up.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sadamsadam Member Posts: 1
    I had been a victim of the same Rami Transmission. I purchased the transmission from Ebay and had my vehicle towed to his facility in Brooklyn. They claim they have fixed it vehicle died on the way back from there facility. I had to tow it again back to my garage.

I tried to reach out to the owner Rami but it is shame he does not return your call. He does not care about the service he has rendered.

After 3 weeks of waiting, i finally disputed it with AMEX and ebay. I paid $1750 (incuding $600 in cash on delivery).

I will fight it out with this guy so that no one in future will be affected.

Also anyone has suggestion on any mechnic who could fix the Transmission problems in NJ.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Isn't there some way to post in these forums about businesses that rip folks off? This company seems to be big time rip off artists...there must be a way to warn other folks about their shady practices. And, always pay for something like that with a credit card so if there is a problem, the credit company can take back any payment.

Shame there are people in the world who do these kind of things to other folks...hopefully what goes around, comes around to this slimy business!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jlsflajlsfla Member Posts: 4
    First time posting but desperately need advice on my 2000 Odyssey transmission. Never had any major problems with car until now. ALWAYS service at HONDA dealership and they have been great. Developed a SMALL leak under car which i noticed after 14 hour round trip to SC. Took to dealership immediately. Was told seals needed to be replaced which I did that day. However, upon checking car again next day still small leak..Back to dealership 4 more times until they diagnosed a leak in the transmission case. Was told they could repair with HONDA BOND since fixing problem would be around $1500.00. I followed their suggestion and saw no further leaks UNTIL another emergency road trip to SC and upon getting home decided to recheck for leak and there it was again! VERY SMALL....didn't even have to top of the fluids BUT now the dealership is saying NEW transmission to the cost of either $5500.00 - $6500.00. Have had NO problem with car on the interstate, no lights coming on and no slipping of the transmission. Called HONDA USA and talked with them. They think the price quoted is higher than national average and suggests discussing with service mgr.What i don't understand is how the problem can go from leak in transmission case to suddenly replacing the transmission. I am older lady with just enough car sense to get into trouble :).but i really don't want to get rid of my Odyssey which i LOVE but wondering if it's worth the cost of replacing the transmission at this point. NO OTHER problems with car. Have had all hoses, belts replaced long before they recommended and oil changes every 3 months. Sorry for the long post but any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
    if the trans works fine, I would not consider a new one. Sometimes you get a leak that to actually fix would require tearing the whole thing apart (gaskets wear out over time). In your case, put a piece of cardboard on the garage floor under it, check the fluid level regularly, and live with it, assuming it does not get worse. Maybe reseal it?

My guess is that it will be fine around town, but those long highway runs really heat it up and expand the pieces, letting the leak reform.

same issue. do not replace the tranny. there is no fix and the tranny that they will replace yours with is no better then the one you have. Get rid of the van ASAP for the tranny will fail. I did and was glad I did. Honda lost a $90 law suit of this tranny and many others. Like you I lived and learned my lesson with Honda and will never buy again. Mine only have 60K miles on it. I will bet you motor mounts are broke as well.

The leak can only be fixed by replacing the tranny. Do not waste your time or $$$. Trust me on this one. Been there done that. Loose the van and stay away from Honda. The 2012 tranny is no better either!
  • jlsflajlsfla Member Posts: 4
    THANKS loads for the replies....I DO put something under to check for leaks..and YES...it ONLY happens on the darn long trips....NO leaks at all around town driving....guess it's time to think about another car...this is a great forum. All info is greatly appreciated.
  • vanmom6vanmom6 Member Posts: 12
    I haven't posted since May 2009. Three years ago I fought Honda and finally got them to pay 1/2 of a rebuilt transmission for my 2001 Odyssey. They did give me a 3yr/36k warranty on it and I planned on selling the car before we got to the end of that warranty. I forgot! BIG MISTAKE! I'm a few weeks short of 3 yrs. but just over the mileage. And I was stranded at midnight with 4 ballerinas in the car in Atlanta! And my van with 143K miles is getting its THIRD transmission! I paid top dollar because I wanted a reliable van that I could drive forever. I have had no other expenses (except maintenence things like timing belt $$$, brake work.... things you'd expect to maintain a car so you can get to 200K). But 3 transmissions in less than 150K miles???? Called HOnda and they told me again that they know there were problems with that design, but if I were over by 100 miles they would NOT honor the warranty. Frustrating that they won't stand behind thier reputation and do what it takes to fix this problem. My Honda transmission lasted less than 3 yrs.! I won't buy Honda again!
    Did your garage where you get service start using synthenic transmission oil 2 years ago? Have you got a tranmission cooler?
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    vanmom6...

First off, sorry for your Honda experience with the infamous Honda Odyssey a/t's.
    Your decision to get rid of the Van before the rebuilt a/t warranty ran out was a GREAT one.
    Honda built their reputation on their engines, but if the motor is hooked up to a junk transmission, then people should stop buying them...forever.

I have a 2003 Odyssey that is a rolling money pit as well, I know from the many discussions that my tranny will fail, and soon, but I can't get my wife to part with it or it would be SOLD.

So I have been doing everything possible to extend the life of the thing by changing a/t fluids often, installed a Magnefine in line filter, changed out the Z1 and drive it like it will break any moment.

The hardest use you can do to an Odyssey is loading them up (even with little ballerinas) and then endless stop-start-stop-start driving in the city.

There are a/t rebuilders out there that actually do a pretty good job of fixing the multiple issues inherent with the Honda transmissions, but you keep getting the Honda Rebuilts with the same problems as the last one, so nothing gets resolved.

This time, don't even go near a Honda Dealership for a re-build.
    i will not buy a honda again either , never, ever dever
  • shasolshasol Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 odyssey with now 181000 miles, I changed transmission at 130000 miles. My TCS and check engine light are on (for the last 5 months) it some times go off by itself and re-appears maybe after a week The ODB code is P0135 I believe this refers to an upstream O2 sensor. why the tcs light is on beats the hell out of me. Additionally my A/c at the front only partial cooling while the back unit works fine. Can anyone explain this too me?
    I have a 2002 odyssey and the check engine light has been on for at least five years. I did get it checked out at some point and then just let it go. My TCS light will come on at odd times here and there. I have posted that my trans has had issues for a couple of yrs...i have 191000 miles now so I was told that i was lucky and see that i am at this point. When i accelerate from being stopped...i have the van in second gear. When i get past 30 mph I shift into third and drive right away...the problem is usually hills. I think it would go into gear itself if i wasn't on a hill. I have a trans place ready to go to when it goes out...they fix the problem that the vans are notorious for having. It is not a honda dealer...
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20
    Anyone install the transmission cooler early on in the life of their 2000-2005 Honda Odyssey's and STILL have to replace a transmission?

Would be interesting to see what the replacement stats are for those odyssey's w/ the cooler vs those w/out the cooler installed.

Thanks~
    I had the same issues with my 2002 a/c; cooler in back than the front. I checked with my Honda dealer about this and found out the back & front come from the same unit; not 2 sepearate units. They looked into the problem and found my a/c front & back lines were finished and I needed a new compressor & some other unit. Since it was close to replacing my timing belt and water pump I had them replace all the necessary a/c units, lines, etc and the timing belt and water pump to the tune of $2832. I just passed 300,000 kms. There was some savings in doing these things all at the same time.
  • vgervger Member Posts: 30
    trans cooler upgrade (I believe they are equipted with a stock cooler) is always helpful since heat is the killer of clutch plates and bands. But for our Honda trans, a trans filter is more important. I have a 2000 Honda and the Lenear Solenoid and the A B Solenoid have mesh screens that DO get clogged which causes slippage, harsh shifting, high speed (60mph+) down shift (second gear) upon hitting brakes (usually you can smell overheated trans fluid). People with 1998 - 2003 Hondas who have the slightest shift problems, clean those two filters first, before you burn your bands and plates. You may just find that cleaning them will solve your trans problem even if it doesn't engage in fourth, or slipping a little in first gear before it catches.
  • joep13joep13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Odyssey that would have made it to the moon (251000 miles). This is the second tranny and was put in around 80000 miles. It starts vibrating with any accelerating or strain. I suspect the torque converter or active motor mount. I have replace the rear motor mount. Does anyone have any experience with the front active motor mount. This is the cheaper engine
    without ECO. If it is the torque converter I am going to turn it into a chicken coop. (not a joke some would consider me a redneck)
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    It's most likely the torque converter. Our Odyssey has the same problem and all the engine mounts are fine.
    I don't know where you have a transmission filter that can be cleaned. My 2002 has a filter but you cannot clean it. When I replaced my transmission at 184K kms it came with a filter but you cannot re-clean it. This all according to my Honda dealer.
    It's not the internal trans filter, but the upper Linear Solenoid and the A B Solenoid. The Linear Solenoid has six #10 bolts and the A B has three. It's just under the radiator hose, the other is just below the air intake on top of your tranny. When you take off the Linear you will see four metal tubes (different length, don't mix them up) about straw size in dia, about four inches in length. At the end of each one has a wire mesh screen. The second one is the one that usually gets clogged. The other solenoid under the air intake has a rubber gasket with two wire mesh screens. I'm on my fouth tranny. When it started acting up again, I got fed up with dishing out money so I searched on the net and read about these two shift solenoids. I cleaned them and sure enough the tranny was working again. six months later it started acting up again and I cleaned it again and it was fine again. There was residule crud in the fluid lines so it clogged again, but since the second cleaning I've been driving fine (40K+ miles).
    @ hilapat post 2211 What you're describing, is exactly what was happening to my trans. I had to do the same manual shifting to move around. Clean those two shift solenoid screens (Linear Solenoid and A B Solenoid) before you burn the clutch plates and bands (major overhaul at that point). Those two solenoids are on the outside of your tranny on top No need to drop or open up the tranny. If you're handy, you can do it and it's about a 3 hr job. check the wires that goes to the Linear Solenoid, if one is broken or if it is defective, you will get a flashing "D". Personally I feel this is one of the main reason for Hondas Trans going out.
  • rj28rj28 Member Posts: 1
    the solenoid screens are most likely not your problem. if they are plugged up, you have much deeper concerns with the transmission. the most common failure on honda transmissions is the torque converter clutch failing. Honda has a problem with the converter overheating causing the converter clutch to come apart. then the clutch material will saturate the fluid ending up in the internal filter. when this happens the transmission becomes starved for fluid and is not able to apply other clutch packs in the transmission, which in turn causes those clutches to burn up and fail. THIS TRANSMISSION DOES NOT HAVE A BAND. It has a series of clutch drums that when activated lock a hub to engage that specific gear ratio. These honda transmissions actually resemble a manual transmission that has been converted to a automatic. the shift forks,syncros and sliders that you would normally see on a manual transmission have been replaced with a hydraulically controlled clutch drum but the result is the same. gears are engaged and disengaged unlike a traditional automatic transmission that utilizes BANDS, planetary gear sets and sprags(one way roller clutches). Getting back to the possibility of plugged solenoid screens, if they are plugged, then no doubt there are screens inside the valve body(deep inside the transmission) that will also be plugged aswell. There are also feed pipe screens inside the transmission that will be plugged up as well. What you really need is a professional transmission rebuilder to overhaul the transmission. there are upgrades that can be installed during the rebuild that will increase the life of the transmission by fixing the torque converter cooling problems all these hondas have.transgo makes a shift kit that allows better trans cooler flow, better torque converter apply pressure, and cooler flow in park and neutral. Sonnax also makes upgrades for the valve body that also prolong the life of the transmission.and talk on the street says superior(shift kit manufacturer) is in the process of making a complete fix for the honda transmissions that will be hitting the shelves this year.if you have a dealer rebuilt transmission installed you will no doubt have the same issues 3 or 4 years down the road as honda does not install any upgrades to prevent the converter overheat issue.
    Thank rj28, about no bands in the Tranny. Never opened a Honda Tranny and I was speaking from the GM Trannys I opened up before. I'm a do-it-yourself BYM and the two solenoids I mentioned are controlling the clutch pressure. To some, including myself who are on their second to fourth tranny rebuild, considers the milage and age of our Oddy verses the cost of another complete rebuild again. This is a POSSIBLE fix because myself and others have found that it has extended the life of our tranny. Of course if there are other things wrong, yeh, it won't help. But it cost nothing or little if you're doing it yourself. I had to do it twice because there were more debris in the system, but to date it has been running since the second cleaning. I did have to buy the gasket to the Linear Solenoid second time around for under 3 dollars.
    mmmmmm. I am not mechanically inclined, but I could take it to where I usually have my vehicle serviced (not the trans service place...right?).

I wrote everything down, and saw what ri28 wrote to you. The "D" was flashing today, but then stopped. Therefore I am hurting the vehicle more by not fixing now? I was going to wait til the trans went completely out and then take it.

Please advise and thanks for writing...I do appreciate it ;0)
    A trans shop will recommend tear down and rebuild... a rightly so. Their reputation as a professional licensed mechanic is on the line. They do not want to do a partial fix and have you come back saying something is wrong again. We do not know at this point what the tranny's condition really is. If the tranny has not significantly burned away the clutches, then just cleaning the two solenoid screens may just all you need to extend the life of your tranny. So the mechanic will be doing labor, unless the Linear Solenoid is bad. Check online for Honda Odyssey Linear Solenoid for best price and cleaning. Your search may even show videos of people who do-it-yourself cleaning them (I did see some about 6 months ago). I would drain the tranny of its 3 1/2 quart of ATF (Use only Honda ATF ~ about $8/qu) and refill, when the mechanic removes the Linear Solenoid to suck up debris from the removed tube passage. Be careful not to nick the tubes and lose the o ring gaskets (4 removable tubes and 4 rubber o rings). You may want to go to Honda dealer and buy the 4 o rings and the the gasket for the solenoid (I would recommend it), but if the mechanic is careful you can reuse, but the cost is not that much, maybe less than $5 - $10. I would not use any solvents to clean the screens, just air blow it clean. The A B Solenoid has 3 bolts, the last one in back is the hardest to get at has the rubber gasket with two screens. When pulling it off from the solenoid, be careful not to tear it. I'm pretty sure it will be clogged, since this is the one that controls Torque Converter pressure. Again just air blow it clean. It can be reused, but if you're concerned replace,but I don't know the cost of it. Post and let us know if this solved your tranny problems.
    The problem is that the Honda tranny for the ODY was engineered poorly and no matter what you do it is bound to fail. It started in 2000 and continues today. Honda knows it and does not care. They have replaced entire transmissions for owners because of a class actoin lawsuit they lost. They too fail shortly after installed. The new ones are no better than the old. The only fix is to simply rid your self of the van, live and learn and stay away from Honda.
    after 2 years of lugging and kikking, the 2000 oddy i have owned for the last 3 years is becoming manual tran. van.
    now, at take off no problem, second gear will not engage , grrrrrrr, 3000 rpm and no second gear, now what? you move to N , then to D again and second shift is engages, sluggish but it is there. you move on, and third ang fourth again slow but engage. on highway at 70 miles per hour, and 2000 rpm, you can not believe it has any problem. the killer is when you are in traffic , then you want to get your head out of car and curse honda in his grave. but again, everytime you stop you have to bring it to N, then D/ < it will move without doing that, but very sluggish, taking off at high gear feels like.
    and one more, for a while, the reverse gear will engage only for first time, if you need it again , you have to turn engin off, and on and reverse, voilea.. but now, reverse works fine, no prblm
    anyone wants to buy my van???
    dan
  • unhappyowner07unhappyowner07 Member Posts: 3
    There is a class action lawsuit against Honda regarding the Odyssey transmission problem. You can search for more details.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    What years does the class action lawsuit include?

I saw the one for the 2005-2007 (I think).

Do you have a link?
  • odywoesodywoes Member Posts: 1
    My transmission just failed in my 2006 and was replaced by a local transmission shop. Approximately 9K miles prior (currently have 120K), the transmission would shudder on the highway as if it couldn't decide which gear to stay in. This happened only a few times. We took the vehicle to our local honda dealership, St. Louis Honda and asked that they open a case with Honda. The standard playbook for the dealerships is to deny the problem and then require a transmission software update and fluid change. After paying for that service, the transmission seems to be fine for a while but what is really happening is the valve body that supplies the torque converter is temporarily freed. As you have probably read, this fix typically lasts 9 - 10K miles before reappearing. When it reappears, some people are able to get by with a replacement torque converter but others, such as myself, require a complete rebuild.

I was so fed up with Honda's denial and delay tactics. Once you have problems and bring you vehicle to the dealership, you are COMPLETELY at their mercy since they have to remove your transmission and disassemble it before they can tell you what is wrong and how much it costs. At this point, you can't take your vehicle and go elsewhere, so you are stuck pleading your case. Many on the internet claim Honda covers 25% if you had the vehicle serviced and do not have high mileage. Many with lower mileage claim 100% reimbursement.

My bill from a reputable transmission shop totaled $4400. That price included a transmission cooler which Honda highly recommends (despite the fact your vehicle didn't orginally include it). My bill may have been less through the dealership with a 25% courtesy reimbursement but the gamble is high AND the Honda rebuilt transmissions do not include the aftermarket rebuilt valve bodies (designed to prevent torque converter fluid starvation causing this problem).

I also have a Honda Accord and see that Honda has the same problem for that vehicle. A friend at work is on his 4th courtesy rebuilt transmission in his Acura.

I no longer consider the Honda brand to represent quality!
  • car_buyer12car_buyer12 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everybody,
    I just met a honda owner,he owns the following Honda vechicles.
    2002 Accord Ex 238,000.
    2005 Odyssey EXL 188,00.
    2008 Accord with 166400.
    He never had any trans issues.(He is sales guy almost 16hrs on road)
    His secrets, oil change 3500 to 4000.
    Transmission oil change every 25,000.
    did anybody did anything similer ,any comments welcome.... :shades:
    nothing like that mileage, but on our 2005 Odyssey I had the dealer change the trans fluid every 30K as a precaution.

I do have a 2000 Acura Tl with about 163K miles. I think that was probably changed around 100K (was my sister's car), and I did it again at about 160, but that was it for that one.

• longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited July 2012
    "Transmission oil change every 25,000."

Here's the thing about that statement.....

A"transmission oil change" could be all the fluid...(put in 3 1/2 quarts, run it through all the gears, dump it out and do it again , and then again)

Or, what some people call a transmission oil change is..do this once.

It's a big difference, if you 'do it once', like I do, then do it on every second engine oil change. Call me paranoid.

I also added a Magnefine inline filter to the return line under the air breather box in my 2003 Ody EXL. This keeps the clutch debris and the metal filings from circulating through the a/t and plugging up the screens, destroying gears, valves and bearings.
    That special filter gets changed once a year, need it or not.

I ease it off the line and don't stand on the throttle during the 2-3 gear changes. Will any of this keep it running longer...don't know, but it's all I can do to keep it out of the hands of the Honda $ervice $enter.

Oh, and one more thing..could be very important too...get that original Honda Z1 a/t fluid out of there ASAP, put in the new Honda DW1 syn. or your choice of quality synth a/t fluid...contrary to what the owners manual says...the world will not suddenly end if you do and your tranny will thank you for it.
    no...just the oil changes at 7500 miles. I had a place change the trans fluid and it did nothing to help my problem...I think I am going to just drive it til it dies. 194,000+...it is annoying shifting from second to drive especially on hills.