Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• 2002odymike2002odymike Member Posts: 14
    Just wanted to mention if they offer anything like sharing half cost or better, run with it and don't look back. It very well may be nothing...

I am guessing Honda might be changing their policy on this or else we just ran into exceptionally bad luck, we had 109k on it, and they offered nothing (see my previous posts for the sordid details) - I hung in there and kept lobbying because I have seen on this and other forums, where folks with over 100k got a decent deal from Honda, but, we too could not afford $4100 so we now have a parked 02 Honda Ody that we can't use...

Definately, take it to Honda and nowhere else and get involved with customer service as soon as possible. They didn't honor the trans changes I did myself (with Honda ATF) and acted like that meant they were never done, so it the work isn't done at a Honda dealer, chances are, it will work against you. I know this is not supposed to be the case, but it my case they basically said as much...

Best of luck to you -
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX. This is a Canadian vehicle bought in Canada.
    When in Colorado in 2003 I used L to go down the 10,000 foot mountains so that I would not run out of brakes. I started in D3; then shifted to 2; then to L. This is 5-speed. I currently have 185,000 kms (115M miles) on it and had to have a rebuilt transmission put in by honda at 178,600 kms in October 2007. Since the rebuilt I have been searching for information about downshifting. The dealer has advised not to shift down; espesially from D5 to 2 in one movement. Beside the rebuilt and wanted to know what else they updated. I was only told they also added a blue knob oiler thet the newest transmissions have. I take it in my case it's brought up to the 2004 equal.

The Honda Manual Booklet states to use the gears like a manual transmission.

After reading many forums I am not prepare to back to the manual shifting rather just use my brakes and let the transmisssion computer make these decisions.

My previous Ford 1992 vehicle stated in the booklet what the gear speed ranges were.

Expert comments please?
  • bummed3bummed3 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you guys so much for your advice!! I will let you know how it goes. I hope we get somewhere with Honda! Of course, I'm scared to death that we won't and we'll be stuck with the $4100 bill! We'll see!
    Again, thank you so much for your comments and advice!
  • dataguru1dataguru1 Member Posts: 4
    Make sure you speak to the dealer about the transmission recalls for Honda Odyssey. As indicated in my previous posts I've had my 99 Odyssey trany replace twice once at 78K and next at 150K.

I had to pay 2100K to get my tranny replaced the second time. It could have been 4000k, but I insisted on an escalation to Honda for reimbursement.

Honda doesn't want the negative publicity and they should foot part of the bill. Also make sure you ask the the service rep for recalls. Even if you have gone over the 100K, they should work with you...

Good luck.
  • angelaychuangelaychu Member Posts: 54
    I purchased my 03 odyssey end of 2002. Honda had this safety recall in 2004 for all 03 Odyssey due to the defect with the 03 automatic transmission with heat build-up which may eventually lead to tooth chipping or gear breakage resulting in transmission lockup as explained in their Honda's Service Bulletin dated July 9, 2004. With this recall Honda was to install an oil jet kit to overcome this heat build-up problem.

I took my car to my dealer for this recall. My dealer installed this oil jet kit which I now feel being deceived by Honda to do so. If the oil jet kit was not installed in 2004, my transmission might have broken down within 36,000 miles. I feel this 04 recall was merely to prolong this defective transmission's life to protect Honda to replace all the 03 Odyssey transmissions. Honda did not have the decency to ensure the functioning of this oil jet kit.

I trusted Honda 100%. I took my car to my dealer in April, 2007 to have a 40 point checkup. I did the transmission service by this dealer as recommended. On Dec. 23, I was on my way back from the bay area, my car suddenly came to a complete stop shortly after the engine and tcs lights came on. I merely escaped a crash on the high traffic freeway. All the drivers following my car jammed their brakes and swerved to the side.

I have computerized diagnostics from two reputable transmission shops which had arrived at the same conclusion that the transmission was locked up due to overheating as described in the above Honda's Service Bulletin. Honda denied responsibility only blaming this properly maintained transmission with only 89,000 miles to normal wear and tear due to high mileage. Is this a joke? How irresponsible can they get? The service manager did a great job to harass me and my husband and to threaten us to fight for our rights to hold Honda responsible for their design failure.

May God bless us to obtain fairness in this as we will take this matter up with Honda corporation after this holiday. The representative of the Department of Highway Safety wants me to spread the word that anyone has problem like me should make a report by calling 800-424-9393 or visit their website at www.safercar.gov.
  • roccatoroccato Member Posts: 2
    Hi

We have a 2003 Oddessy with 85k. Transmission is starting to go bad. We live in South Jersey. Any advice?

Thanks, Dan
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Go straight to a Honda dealer and have them look at it. Be ready to prove that you are up to date with all your maintenance, and ask if Honda will pick up the tab for a new transmission and rental car.

Don't go anywhere else- do not pass go, do not collect $200. Go directly to a Honda dealer.
  • wrexracerwrexracer Member Posts: 5
    Well, if anyone else has the problem with reverse that I was having, then you are on the slow road to transmission failure. My transmission gave out the weekend before Christmas.
  • o3odyo3ody Member Posts: 4
    Had the reverse 'clunk' for some time. Then the transmission started slipping between 2 and 3rd gear at 94k miles. Took it to the dealer, but told there was no problem. New Years Eve day the slipping began to happen almost every time the car shifted from 2 to 3rd. Took it back to the dealer at 98k miles. One drive around the block by the serv tech and I'm told I need a new transmission. No diagnostics run, no fluid levels checked, didn't even pop the hood. How is it possible that a drive around the block leads to a $4,000 repair? The answer is obvious-Honda knows they have a transmission problem. They settled the 2000 to 2002 transmission issue in court last year. Now I see the message boards being hit with 2003 and 2004 transmission failures. The problem was not fixed. They keeping upping the horsepower in their V-6's, but the transmission design does not seem to be keeping up with increase in engine power.
    That seems very obvious that they didn't even pop the hood and knew the trans was toast. You may want to still contact Honda customer service to see if they might share the cost with you. In my case, they didn't (at all) but I had just over 109k.

I wasn't aware there was a settlement for 2000-2002's - was this just the increase of the warranty to 100k? I couldn't find it online.

While I don't expect Honda would cover all these failures 100%, I am appalled that in nearly all cases they first try to get 4k from the owner and then only after a long battle do they agree to assist for "some" cases. To me, it seems like they would offer a standard amount of assistance based on mileage as opposed to it being a gamble as to whether you get a reasonable case manager. Mine is still sitting as I can't see dropping 4k on a trans that might not last all that long (the rebuilds fail at an alarming rate as well - from this board I've seen 20-30k in some cases)

This experience gave me a new insight on car warranties etc - I don't think I'll spend 30+k on a car again, and never another Honda. I figured that, sure, it might have a premature failure beyond the warranty, but if so many fail it really isn't a warranty issue alone anymore.
  • roccatoroccato Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. Car is at dealer now.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I see the message boards being hit with 2003 and 2004 transmission failures. The problem was not fixed.

This is not surprising since the 2nd gear lubrication problem was not properly inspected by many dealerships (or the stress discoloration was really not that much of a factor in the whole failure) in the '03 Accord V6's & Odyssey.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see some '05 & '06 Odyssey failures popping up. My '06 Odyssey with 28k miles slams gears & slips on several occasions.
    here is a link for the transmission settlement. http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/pdf/caht1not.pdf.

In my case, Honda is agreeing to pay for some of the transmission replacement. I'm still not sure I'm satisfied. Even if they agree to cover the whole cost, this has been a hassle and more importantly a dissapointment. My wife and I have owned 6 Hondas (this is the first mini-van) and we've never experienced a problem or breakdown. My experience has always been if you follow the maintenance schedule, the car will run forever. Now looking back, it's curious to me that our other 5 Hondas were 4-cylinders (4 of the 5 were manual transmissions).

Here is my 2 cents. Think of the SUV/Truck craze of the 90's. Honda wasn't in this game because they didn't have their own products or V-6 engines (ie the Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo, the pre-1999 Ody was a small mini-van with a 4 cylinder engine and not big enough for the American consumer to haul the family off to DisneyWorld). They rushed to get these new vehicles developed and built. Likewise, they developed and built V-6 engines to go into these new models. They were behind the curve and needed into this very profitable segment of the auto industry (remember this is all before 9-11, high gas prices, etc). Unfortunately, I think they forgot the transmission design in their haste.

Below is launch timeline for Honda's V6 models made in N. America:
    1998 - Accord V6 engine (most or all previous Accords were 4 cylinder, I think?)
    1999 - Odyssey V6 engine launch (previous model was 4 cylinder).
    1999 - Acura TL V6
    2000's - Acura MDX, Pilot, Ridgeline (all with V6)

Honda launched a lot of new cars in a very short time to enter the SUV/truck/minivan race. They were way behind in this very profitable market. They pushed the Hp in these new vehichles because that's what the American consumer likes to see in their monthly addition of Car and Driver. They needed the Hp numbers to attract people away from the Big-3 brands and towards their new products. Look at the Ody, before 1999 it was a 150hp engine, since then it has gone from 210 to 240 to 255 hp. The 210Hp Ody's got the tranny settlement. Now those of us with the 240 hp engines are starting to see tranny problems. I'm sure the 255 hp Ody's are next, they just need a few more miles since this model was launched in 2005.

If you look thru these sites you'll also find V6 Accord and Acura TL tranny complaints. They are pushing too much power thru undersized and poorly designed transmissions. It isn't a manufacturing defect. Honda would fix a manufacturing flaw. It's an inherent design flaw. To admit it's a manufacturing flaw allows them to fix the transmissions on a case by case basis -- 'oh yeah, that one had a bad bearing, replace it'. However, to admit it's a design flaw would put a serious squeeze on them to address every single Ody, TL and Accord out there.

BTW, not sure why I haven't seen Pilot, MDX, Ridgeline issues with the transmission. I think these are all 4WD vehicles, so likely a very different transmission design.

Since this tranny problem, paranoia has the best of me. I've spent a lot of time looking up other Ody defects. I see mpg is often an issue. Our mpg started dropping about a year ago. Hindsight now it seems that that the mpg got continually worse as the 'reverse clunk' got louder right upto the transmission failing.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I believe the Ridgeline (and I assume the pilot?) have a different (ie stronger) tranny design, that was finally adopted for the Odyssey (2007?) So you are right that eventually the '05-'06 models will start failing.

At least Honda has set a precedent, and would have trouble arguing that if the older models were bad, and they kept using the same design, that it is now the customers fault when it fails!

I assumed when I got out 2005 that they must have fixed the design flaws (plus the failure rate wasn't quite so bad in 2004 when we bought!) but now I am starting to expect the worst. I just hope if it goes, it goes early! If not, wait until I trade it in..

For this reason, I make sure to get my oil changes, etc. at the dealer, and had them do a tranny fluid change at 30K (even though they said it wasn't required yet). If the trans in this van goes, it is a defect, since we drive it carefully, and over maintain.

of course, my SIL has a 1999 that has led a hard life, and now has about 130k, and as far as I know, the tranny is working fine (I know it never failed on her).

I can't seem to get more than 5-6 years out of a car before the desire for a new one becomes too strong (and the squeaks and rattles that vans develop become too annoying), so I will probably trade at 5/60 or 6/75, so I should be safe.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The 4 cyclinder Odyssey is still produced in Japan. The big Odyssey that came out in 1999 was really a Japanese LAGREAT. Also, currently in Japan there is still a vehicle called Elysion similar insize to the NA Odyssey.
    See http://www.batfa.com/
    My Odyssey transmission went at 180,000 kms (Canadian). I currently have 185,000 kms. I have a dealer warranty on the rebuilt of 20,000kms.
    The Pilot is NOT 4-wheel driive, per say. It's front wheel drive and changes to 4-wheel drive when conditions warrent it. The same as the Acura MDX. Conditions being if you lose transaction in snow, etc.
  • msanemsane Member Posts: 1
    I found this thread a few days ago, after experiencing the same issues with our newly purchased 2000 Ody LX with 116,000 miles. The CEL came on while we were in SD for Christmas. Took it to the dealer and they pulled two transmission codes and a P0420 catalytic converter code. The tech told us our transmission was going out, and needed to be replaced.

Brought it back home to MN, found this thread, took it to a dealer 2 days ago and said I wanted to do a parts/labor split for payment (Honda pays for the parts, we pay labor) and told the service guy I was very informed about the transmission issues the Ody's have had for this year and know that Honda has done many out of warranty "goodwill" repairs for other people.

Got a call from the dealer today and Honda agreed to do the parts/labor split on both the transmission AND the catalytic converter! So we'll pay just the labor to put them in. So finding this thread and being firm but polite with Honda saved us probably $3000. Thanks everyone!

And if you are having similar issues, be informed and find a good dealer, because you can save yourself some serious cash and stress.
  • junko3653junko3653 Member Posts: 3
    We have an 03 Odyssey with 60K miles that had a complete transmission failure on Christmas day. (nice) Anyway, we took it back to the dealer we bought it from and they kept it for two days and then told us we would have to replace the entire transmission at a cost of $5200.00. I have owned many Hondas (we had the first Accord that came in '79) and have had only good experiences with reliability. I regret not doing more research on the transmission issues before buying but here I am. I have read lots of the posts about help from National Honda, and we opened a case with them today. We got a quote on a rebuilt one for $1900.00, but I don't know what is best. Of course, as a female, I wonder if I am getting strung along a little too, but I couldn't believe the price. The service manager said there was nothing he could do to help, but would "support" my case with Honda, whatever that means. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • tgrapenttgrapent Member Posts: 4
    My 2003 Honda Odyssy transmission just went out...100,000, but had it into the dealer 4-weeks ago for the 95-100K service...$1,000! I am awaiting to hear from Honda if they will fix it. Do you have any information on how often this is happening, and what percent of the time Honda picks up the bill, and under what conditions? Are there any class action cases pending on the 2003? Please respond to my personal email because these bulliten boards are hard to navigate: tgrapentine@gmail.com

Thank you.
    I would go to another dealer. Any decent dealership service department would at least call up Honda and try to pry some assistance out of them- this is an extremely well documented problem and Honda knows it has to pay up, since it is a design defect.

Before my transmission went, I had visited the dealer where I had it replaced maybe twice. When it went, I limped the car into the dealership, and they called up Honda and got them to do a parts/labor split, where I paid labor and they paid parts. I also got a free rental car for the time period.

So try a different dealer. Getting the money takes some legwork, and it sounds like your dealer is too lazy to get the money from Honda and not you.
    Thanks for the advice. I will wait to hear from Honda National next week and then try a different dealer. We have four kids still in car seats so you can imagine what it like moving from one car to the next to get anywhere, I have had it.
  • nrm1nrm1 Member Posts: 3
    Finally I was able to get a rebuilt transmission for my van. Note, both Honda and the dealer shared the cost of parts of labor and I did not had to pay anything. The only major reason I did not had to pay anythig was my service history witht the dealer and probably my previous ownership of honda cars . I had all my oil changes, brake services, 30K, 60K at the dealer. I also owned a honda civic before my odyssey. The sequence of events is listed below.
    1. Check Engine light on with TCS on and off.
    2. Brought car to dealership for code check. Paid 99 dollars.
    3. Dealer finds two codes PO730 indicating transmission problems and P1491 indicating EGR problem.
    4. Dealer says transmission fix will cost 3500 dollars. EGR is a recall so it is free.
    5. Refused repair at dealership. Brought the car back home. Parked it in the garage.
    6. Called Honda. Fisrt response was the car was out of waranty and nothing can be done. Try to be persistent, polite, provide info that you are a loyal customer of honda. A case was the opened and I was told that someone will contact me in 48 hours.
    7. I was contacted after about 36 hours and told that the cost of repairs will be shared. Inform the case manager about your loyalty and the service history at the dealer. Next day the Case manger called me and said that the dealer will contact me. Dealer calls me in another later in the evening and tells me that given the service history at the dealership, they will replace the transmission for free.
    8. It took about 3 days for the dealer to fix the car. I would think that they fix it over multiple days as they do not want an expert car mechanic to spent all day fixing one car.
    9. I was told there is 36 month 36k warranty on the remanufactured transmission.

Tips:
    I did not drive my van for almost a week from the day the problem was found and until I brought it back into dealership.
    Be persistent and polite with Honda.
    Do not blame or curse honda or dealership for the failure.
    Do not even think of bringing your van outside of Honda dealer service shop.
    Read as many posts about your problem on this forum and the internet

Although I am not happy with the episode, but I am satisfied with the fact that Honda took care of this. Although I do wonder that what would be the scenario if I had not done all my service at Honda dealership. From the first time the case manager contacted me, I knew that Honda will give me the remnaufactured transmission for free. The question was of labor then. In my case the dealer had told me it would be 1200 dollars. I had started calling other Honda dealership for the labor on putting the transmission back in again. It ranged from 850 to 1200 dollars. At one time I was planning to bring the van to the dealership with lowest labor and have Honda ship the remanufactured transmission to that dealership.

I wish best of luck to people who are dealing with this and want to thank this forum for helping me save the money.
    Congrats on your success story.

Not to be a killjoy but you do realize the original design defect(s) was not corrected. You were simply issued a refurbished transmission with the same inherent Honda V6 transmission problems (bad torque converter design, gear slipping, etc). Some of these problems are still in the '05 & '06's.

Keep this in mind when determining the life cycle of your '03.
    Excellent that this worked out well for you -

Just a caution to readers that are facing this issue; many situations turn out well like this one, many others do not. I had full maintenance records (though some done by myself) and had just spent nearly 3k on a timing belt, brake work etc AT the dealer, told them this is our 3rd Honda in 10 years and the dealer and Honda USA treated me very poorly and offered NOTHING!

I was very polite and persistent and even shared posts from this forum and others and nothing swayed them whatsoever. The interesting thing is that my dealer only reluctantly went to Honda USA after gentle prodding on my behalf; that may have been the beginning of the end. What I'm saying is these posts prove that Honda's support for this issue is all over the map - so even if you do everything right, they may tell you to jump in a lake! (almost sounds like the insurance company trick to trash every third claim to contain costs!)

Some have suggested to get a rental car thinking would cover it as well, I wouldn't chance that, I had to rent a car 1 WEEK for them to decide they would offer no assistance; can you believe they kept the car 1 week to do/offer nothing!

When I tried to reference the instances in this forum where they did the right thing they simply dismissed it and said each case is evaluated individually. Which means for whatever reason, they decide they aren't going to offer assistance, you're screwed.

I have to reiterate this really surprised me from Honda, we kept at it several weeks thinking they would help out. I almost think if would help other folks to track which dealers are getting good results in support for these; all I can figure is the dealer/case manager combination did me in!
    The Pilot is NOT 4-wheel driive, per say. It's front wheel drive and changes to 4-wheel drive when conditions warrent it. The same as the Acura MDX. Conditions being if you lose transaction in snow, etc.

Yes, I believe you are right, we had a CRV with AWD. My point really was that the transmission in the Pilot/MDX/Ridgeline is a much different design then the transmission in the TL/Accord/Odyssey, which has the obvious design flaw.

I guess the AWD/4WD must send half of the transmission problems to the rear tires thus doubling the life of the transmission ;)
  • odysownerodysowner Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was told by my Honda Dealer that the only way they will warranty the transmission on my 1999 Odyssey is if the transmission light goes on and the computer gives the code for a bad transmission. This is frustrating because the transmission obviously has problems related to the year/model recall that you are all talking about, but the light is not on. The transmission consistently slips, shifts very hard, and makes it difficult to drive. They also told me that the recall/warranty extension for this transmission issue expires 7 years after purchase date, which I just passed. Now, I feel that the transmission will fail any day now and I am out of luck because they failed to address this issue earlier because the transmission light was not on. Any thoughts?? This site has been very helpful and informative so far. Thank you all.
  • shanrobertsshanroberts Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Honda Odyssey transmission just went out at 97,500. I took it back to the dealership it was still under warranty and they still gave me grief. The slipping of gears had to be reproduced by them before they would fix it. They kept it for 2 weeks. I have had several issues out of my van and have been very disappointed. Just keep working at it and be persistent.
  • mcsejtmcsejt Member Posts: 1
    This will make the 4 transmission my van has needed. Could the "Grade Logic" (see below) be contributing to the failures? If so can it be disabled. I would certainly rather pay for a new set of brakes then a new transmission.

Quick downshifts. The transmission has a computerized control system called grade logic. When going down a hill, even a light touch of the brake pedal can cause grade logic to downshift to the next lower gear. Downshifting helps to slow the vehicle through engine braking.
    The key is to always be polite, and persistent, and be ready to cite "loyalty" on your part- whether you've owned Hondas before, serviced your Hondas at dealerships across the nation, etc.
  • coredumpcoredump Member Posts: 9
    My 2005 Ody EX-L started developing tranny issues about 62K and I haven't found any posts so far with anyone else with tranny issues.

I took it to my dealership and initially diagnosed this as an EGR and I paid for the EGR (About 250). That did not fix it and I persisted.

They finally came up with a diagnosis of a shot tranny and rear motor mount which they got Honda to pay for in full. I did not even have to fight or argue - they are probably the most easy and helpful delearships I have in my area (tranny cost about 4k while the motor mount about 1200). The very week I had my tranny done, the delearship told me of another similar case where they got Honda to pay for another 05 Ody tranny and motor mount.

Seems like the rear motor mount that was put in was an "updated" one meaning it was poorly designed. The reason for it being so expensive - it is a new kind that send signals to the on board computer for the active noise cancellation. I suspect that the VCM engine in the 3-cyl mode generates way too many vibrations killing the mount (seems like poor design). Interestingly the 2008 ODY has a new VCM system that goes from 3 to 4 to 6 cyls. May be it was the motor mount?

As to the tranny even after the rebuilt tranny it doesn't shift right. I am persisting and trying to get the dealership to help me out.

Does anyone know if they fixed the tranny issues in the 08? I will probably replace the 05 with an 08.

It quite frustrating that a company like Honda with a great reputation haven't fixed the tranny issues even as late as the 2005 models after a redesign!
    I think you are the first here in this forum to report a failure on a '05+ Odyssey thus far.

My '06 Odyssey EXL-NAV/RES transmission with 28k miles has been slipping occasionally but not enough to reproduce for the dealer. I will more than likely unload the car before the 60k mile factory warranty expires.

As for the '07 & '08's, they have the redesigned 4-shaft transmission from the Pilot/Ridgeline trucks. There is not enough data yet to see how reliable they are. Personally, if you are looking for a 100k mile tranny I would look elsewhere other than Honda. They have a horrible track record (many cases not reported on forums or consumer guides since Honda is great about paying for design defects.
    Honda switched the Odyssey's transmissions on the 08s, maybe even on the 07s as well.

But that's the 1st story I've heard of a 2005+ model having a failed transmission- all the stories so far have been 99-04 models.
  • honda_oh_nohonda_oh_no Member Posts: 49
    I got a 'deal' on Ody 2002 Trans with Honda today - 50/50 share...just disappointing to me. Nothing to persuade my case manager to pay 75% at least even after letting them know I owned 3 other Hondas.

I remember my first job working in a Japanese Company. It was all total indoctrination about quality- you eat, drink, and sleep nothing but quality in mind. To get to the point, what Honda is doing regarding this transmission issue is unthinkable to Japanese standards. To deny responsibility to something wrong for years is just unthinkable. i just can't understand they let go these transmissions out their yard. Where's the HONDA TOTAL QUALITY CONTROL? KAIZEN? 5-S?
    DAME DESU NE!

Like everyone else here who trusted Honda 'Quality', I too felt betrayed. I will definitely get in touch with the attorney general and BBB. I am so dissatisfied and unhappy right now that i wished I had told My Case Manager (Jack) that it is better to make your mother-in-law angry than make one customer dissatisfied and unhappy. You know why? you can live without your mother in law but your customer will never buy from you again.

Hope we all be united.
    Honda contacted me today and offered to cover 75% of the cost of the complete new tranmission. I was very happy at first, but it will still be a thousand dollars, which is not a joke. Anyway, I think Honda handled it ok, the annoying part is that the dealer took the credit for the offer, when at first they offered no help to me at all. It was me that contacted Honda and wrote letters. Anyway, I will stay a customer of Honda, but not of the dealer.
    I would not be happy if I were you. They're dividing us - making some happy and others not. They're playing a "be polite" game to condition us into thinking they have nothing to do with the issue. Once you have the carrot they know you'll go your way and they get away with the lawsuit. For me, I'm through with this company. The only regret I have I is buying a car from a company that started as a motorcycle company. 3 hondas for me is enough. no more.
    I couldn't agree more (divide & conquer) - I was amazed at how they handled my situation.

I was at the other end of the spectrum, they offered nothing and cost me a 1 week rental fee to say so! As per my previous threads, I didn't expect 100% but after the dealer asked for $4100, reluctantly contacted the dealer - kept the car 1 week and game back and said sorry nothing! Then ran the Honda cust service route and the case manager actually deffered to the regional manager who offered zero - why call Honda corporate cust service?

I kept at it because of the "success" stories I really thought they would meet me halfway but no dice. Point is, this is our 3rd Honda as well, and we really thought highly up to now.

Honda richly deserves some legal action in my opinion - as I've said before, think about all the folks that just paid the $4100 or so and trusted the dealer - they probably couldn't afford it any more than I can but maybe they hadn't run into great forums like this one!

I've worked at a Mitsubishi funded company and toured many japanese companies as a quality professional; this problem screams out design fault - proven also by the rebuilds failing at a high rate. I have to wonder if Honda Japan is in the loop here.
  • littlewalterlittlewalter Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 Odyssey with 93000 miles on it. I bought it new in October 01 after waiting a month for one to come in at the best price in town..MSRP. I had the recall work done in 2004; had the transmission serviced in August. It was slipping in December. I paid $575 for front/right motor mounts. I took my family out of town for our first ski trip ever last weekend. It was slipping or failing to shift at several steep hills. I go back to the dealer and am told I need a new tranny. I had already seen this site, so I mentioned it to the dealer. I contacted Honda customer care and opened a case. I found out today that the zone manager agreed to cover 1/2 parts and labor. For those of us that bought Honda for reliability and quality, this is an insult. I even told the case manager at customer car that, "if I wanted to pay for a transmission 6 years after buying my vehicle brand new, I would have bought a Chrysler." His point of view was that I should be grateful Honda would pay for 1/2. The fact that they offer anything is an indication that they acknowledge this is a MAJOR issue. I'll try to talk to the zone manager's boss before I decide whether or not to accept their 'goodwill gesture'. My parents just got 140k miles out of an Explorer. I used to think Ford could only make a truck and Honda could do no wrong. They've opened my eyes. I'll keep at 'em, but they have more than likely just lost a huge fan. And to think, I ALMOST bought a Ridgeline last year.
    Did anyone here tried BBB? or NHSTA? I really feel Honda should not get away with this. Absolutely horrible facts from 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 ODYSSEY models. Wonder why people keep buying?....hype

Japanese companies audit its suppliers and 'punish' those with high defect rates by switching to other suppliers. Plain and simple.Natural selection.

Honda surely gets the worst supplier award and for Defect Recurrence - year after year after ...that's consistent in quality - BAD QUALITY.
    Now I look back when I first bought my Odyssey and kinda laugh at the name and realize its meaning now. Odyssey - we are like the character Odysseus making a long and treacherous journey....hahaha! we all need to lighten up or we'll loose our senses. Laugh- at least its free...

Now back to business.

Shouldn't automobiles be better as the years go by? Facts show Honda did nothing to improve reliability but pour its resources to cosmetics only. Shame.
    We are partly to blame. I think we can help improve Honda quality by not buying their products. The more they produce - the more they make defective products and in turn eat up their profits on 'goodwill repairs'.

Honda is a monster we American Consumers created. We are feeding it and it is eating us alive.

think..think...think...
  • gavanmomgavanmom Member Posts: 32
    If anyone knows the problems with the ody tranny it is me! We bought brand new with 7 miles on 5-28-07, Slate EX with back-up sensors. At 1500 miles +- started to have a rattle/noise from tranny, took it in 3 times before they found a faulty valve and replace it at 3606 miles. Since then, it has been in 6 times, reprogramed everything they could, replaced valves and anything else they could. Now at 8 months since we bought it, it is in for it's third transmission. It has been in the shop for a total of 33 days out of < 8 month owning it. We had a horrible problem with down-shifting that would literally jerk the entire van. I am fed up with it and will do whatever we have to to get it fixed and traded in on something different asap. Honda has truely dissapointed me. I've waited years to buy a Honda and should have gone with Toyota or Chrystler. It is not an uncommon problem, just one that the dealerships try to keep quiet....like the same type of problems they are having with the brake system on the 07 models.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Well, that is an extreme case. I'm not an expert on the requirements (and it may vary by state) but it sounds like you could qulify for a lemon law case. Maybe find one of the attorny firms that deal with them for (free) advice?

I'm sure a lemon law suit helps get their attention, and if you are lucky, it will lead to a replacement vehicle if they obviously can't fix yours.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

your story is surely the most horrible i read so far in this forum. why did'nt they just replace the whole transmission? problem is so obvious. they just could not admit their design flaw and try to put a band aid on a decade long problem.
    This Honda document clearly states that all 2002 and 2003 odys are to be recalled and yet my case manager refused to accept my 2002 lx is not part of the recall. total bull.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/200- 4/V/RCRIT-04V176-2519.PDF
  • fast4dr1fast4dr1 Member Posts: 7
    Well, Im in the same boat as just about everyone else it seems. Dealership offered 50% split, I contacted American Honda and am waiting. My case manager is not very personable and is not even willing to admit there is a problem. She just keeps stating over and over again that this is a per case basis and no cases are alike. I did point out she is only partially right. ALL cases involve premature failures of parts which should last for FAR longer periods of time. So now, I am without a family vehicle and waiting in limbo for "their decision." I will post more info as it unfolds...
    Hmm...If this doesnt go the way Id like, I am going to ask my dealership to produce the pictures of the initial inspection. I have a feeling all they did was install the jet kit WITHOUT an inspection.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    We were thinking of getting a Honda Odyssey to replace our 2004 Toyota Sienna Limited with 72,000 miles on it. We have not had a single problem with our Sienna and we are thinking of an 08 Sienna or an 08 Odyssey. I want to hear from Odyssey owners. Thanks.

Hause
    The existence of this forum should be more than enough to base your decision.

As for me. No more Hondas.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    My neighbor's 2001 Ody has 87,000 miles with NO automatic transmission problem. ;)
    its just a matter of time...
    Well, dealership just contacted me back stating that American Honda told them to do 50% on parts/labor for tranny and cover the ECM 100%. Odd, though, that American Honda case manager didnt call me with this info. I am less than impressed with this whole process thus far, especially with the demeanor of "Julie," my CM...