Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• dustin0022dustin0022 Member Posts: 1
    My nightmare has just begun.
    I have a 2002 Odyssey, 7 year warranty, 130,000 kms
    the warranty was up sept 17 2008, and on the suddenly convenient date of sept 27, the engine light came on.
    it was just a day after I had the oil changed so i thought it was a sensor reset issue or maybe a tech didnt screw something back on properly.
    I was wrong.
    they told me it would cost $3915 to replace the transmission because the code read "clutch failure" and shifting malfunction, which would call for replacement of the transmission.
    I was mortified.
    I seemed to recall having the vehicle in the shop back in '06, telling the guys at the Honda service center that the tranny seemed to "shift very hard" into 2nd gear. their answer to the prob was flushing the tranny twice, after which the van drove exactly the same, but the techs assured me that the shifting was "the nature of the beast". funny how 12 days after the warranty goes up, I seemed to be in need of e new $3915 part, rather than a double flush and a pat on the back.
    I called Honda Canada immediately after I git this news, explainng my situation, they said they would review my service history and get back to me as soon as possible.
    It's been a week.
    Nature of the beast.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    That stinks, hopefully you have reciepts for you transmission flushes. Contact the attorneys, see my previous post #838

I sent a letter to Honda America corporate and Japan. I just got a letter from Honda Japan, they said they would contact Honda America for me, but the final decision would be from Honda America.
  • suefischsuefisch Member Posts: 4
    The transmission in my 2002 Honda Odyssey needs to be replaced at 87,000 mile. I bought the 7 year extended warranty. It expired on Friday, Oct. 3rd. I didn't drive it on Friday. On Saturday, Oct 4th I started the car and the MIL was on and the D was blinking.
    I just brought it to the dealer. I have to pay for labor ($1200) Honda is paying for parts ($3800).
    How unbelievable is this?!!!!
    Unbelieveable, it really makes me mad when I see new posts every other day of people having the same problem, and Honda tries to say there is no known issue with the transmission if you had the recall work done. Yet they still cover part of it. They need to be held accountable and cover 100% for everyone since they obviously have a faulty part.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but contact the attorneys. The secretary that I talked to said she gets calls every day. Hopefully the more they get, the quicker the lawsuit will take place and we can all get our money back.
    I just received a call from the dealer. It turns out the transmission is fine. A squirrel chewed through something called the "TCC Silenoid" (This is possible - I live on 5 very woodsy acres. For the last year the van as been outside (it was previously kept in the garage until a year ago when I replaced it with an Acura MDX) and this time of year squirrels are building nests. Now that it is out of warranty and I can't leave it outside because of the squirrels I will be bringing it to car max. Other than this problem it has been great for 7 years (and why I bought another Honda/Acura.) I "wasted" $1000 on the extended warranty.
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    If Honda is providing the transmission which costs $3,800 and you're paying the labor of $1,200, They're paying for 75% of the transmission replacement which is pretty darn fair in my opinion. Few if any other car companies would do that especially for a vehicle that is very near 100,000 miles. :confuse:
    I agree. I was happy they were willing to pay 75%. I was more upset it happened the day after the extended warranty expired. In the end it turned out not to be the transmission (see post #843). I had all scheduled maintenance done at the same dealer for 7 years. They offered me "the only pay labor deal" right from the start. They initatied calls to Honda without me even requesting it.
    I know a lot of people on this board have had a lot problems with their Odysseys, but mine was perfect for 7 years and 87,000 miles.
  • meetme25meetme25 Member Posts: 13
    I opened a case with BBB and sent all my repair documents to them and they had contacted Honda and Honda decided to settle. They offered either to replace the vehicle or buy back. After all I had gone through I opted for buy back.

Here's what I would suggest, open a case with BBB. You can do this online. Once they accept the case they will send you documenation that needs to be filled out. After you send it back to them it takes approximately 20 days for them to contact Honda and get back to you with the next steps.

Good luck.
  • seminaraseminara Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. Note: mine is a 2003 not 2002 (oops). Autozone ran the codes for free. It came up with one code #1491 the ERG valve. The TCS light came on on the way to Honda.They said it was part of the ERG valve failure.These are extended warranty for 10 years or 84K mi. The dealer replaced this for free and cleaned the ports. They also changed the transmission fluid and said all was well. Is there any advantage to synthetic transmission oil in warding off any catastrophic failure?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    If you think the transmission should be fixed by Honda Goodwill Repair, please make sure you contact the right parties...

Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
    expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
    the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
    Office.
    You must request consideration, and get a
    decision, before starting work.
  • eaguirre0eaguirre0 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Could you tell what exactly what you said to the Honda customer service hotline so that I can tell them the same thing. Please. My trans is also not working. It stopped working at about 104000 miles. Well it will still catch gear when its cold but once it warms up it loses its gears. So, will you please help me out?

Enrique
  • jean185jean185 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Odyssey with 53,000 miles. This week the local dealer replaced the transmission under warranty. When I got home and checked it out, I discovered it was a used transmssion and the gear shift lever is totally different and filthy. Is this supposed to be acceptable? Or, because I'm a woman, did I get taken?
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    The transmission probably was used, but reconditioned. I'm pretty sure that's the way they did all of the replacements. As for new shift lever, my wife had two trannies put in her '00 and both times the lever was the original, or at least the same as the original.
  • taggertytaggerty Member Posts: 4
    I am in the same boat. Your vehicle may be under warantee. Honda was hit with a lawsuit for odometer fraud and had to extend the warantee out to 105K. I am shipping mine back the US from the UK to have it fixed....it is cheaper to send it back on a ship than it is to have it fixed over here. I have the same exact problem as you do. I get a fault code of P0740. It drives when cold but stops working when it warms up. Good luck. :lemon:
  • rik1rik1 Member Posts: 18
    Is Honda Goodwill Repair an actual program? My 2000 Odyssey (94,000 miles) had the CEL with the TCS light coming on when I drove over 50mph. The TCS light would go away when the engine was turned off. I had this problem earlier and had it fixed (EGR valve), so I basically let this problem go. When I brought it in for repair (Bay Ridge Honda) , I was told that I needed a new tranny. Of course, now I'm out of warranty and I'm looking at a large expense. Bay Ridge said they would call American Honda to see if anything can be done, but I want to prepare myself for the next step if I don't receive anything.

Rick
  • rik1rik1 Member Posts: 18
    Just an update on my previous update... Honda is willing to go 50/50 on the transmission, but due to additional work due bottoming out (engine mount,frame) the total I'll have to pay still comes out to 3,400. What do you think of my chances of getting Honda to pay the full 100% on the tranny? And should I hold off work until I find out or do I let them do the work and hope I'll get reimbursed?
  • charliegreencharliegreen Member Posts: 1
    WOW! Here it goes another one! Ours is 100K miles, all scheduled maintenance done, etc., etc., etc ... and we love it (up to now!) We got the Check Engine lamp on and very sluggish running. At one point during testing as recommended by the dealer (after replacing all the ATF and before any actual work on the transmission) it could not go over a very small ramp. It got like in neutral no matter what position we had the transmission on. I called the dealer who recommended this:

1. Shut down the engine.
    2. Take the ignition key out for a few seconds (I did like 20 seconds).
    3. Start the engine.
    4. and it worked ... the transmission was working.

I placed the transmission on 1st gear and it worked to at least move it home and later to the shop, hopefully, tomorrow.

I`ll keep you posted.
  • 09norcim09norcim Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2000 Odyssey with 130,000 miles. It has been services at Honda dealer (except timing chain 100K Service and 2-3 oil changes). At 100,812 miles I felt some hesitation into 2nd gear, at that time Honda Dealer rode 23 miles with laptop hooked and stated in report no DTCS stored. They told me the transmission is fine.

Now a week ago, under hard acceleration when going into second gear rpm goes from 3500 to 4500. Slow acceleration driving is fine.

What should I do? Take it to Honda dealer and see if they will share the cost if transmission is failing?

Or take to the private shop that I trust. Jasper Engines lists one for $2,711.00 http://webapp.jasperengines.com/webcat/catalog.asp.

I had a good relationship with dealer and Honda, They had replaced EGR and Catalytic Convertor with paying for material and dealer gave a goodwill on labor. I was 7,000 miles over warranty.

Recently lost my job would like to avoid a nightmare of expenses.

Thanks!
  • 09norcim09norcim Member Posts: 8
    I took the van to a Jasper Engine & Transmissions installer. They rode the van found no codes or could not repeat the problem.

I think that the problem comes in the morning when transmission oil is cold.That's what they told me that the problem could be occurring at cold starts. The transmission oil was changed by Honda @ 13,000 miles ago. Jasper shop told me that the oil level is little high and color is darker than what is should be for a 13K mile change. He told me not the change the oil as it may accelerate the problem and the Honda oil contains a "detergent".

I do not have any malfunctioning "Check Engine or flashing D light". Jasper Transmission is $4,200.00 installed with 3 year or 100K warranty. The shop can rebuilt locally for $2,700K with 3 year or 50K warranty with labor covered if rebuilt fails. Jasper has a labor coverage plan for $150 in case of a failure. The shop owner who has been in business for 20 years told me to go with Jasper if I want to keep the van for many years (which I really want since it is extremely clean inside and outside).

Next week I have an appointment with Honda Dealer to pay him $96 for testing transmission. However I doubt if they can found any code also if nothing is flashing? I don't know if I should pay them 100 dollars for finding nothing.

There is no downshifting problem, only on occasion it takes a second to engage to get into 2nd gear with RPM jumping approx 1000 under pedal to the metal.

Last time American Honda covered me after warranty for (EGR & Catalytic convertor) when I told them in my immediate family there are 4 Odysseys and 2 Acuras. One Acura had a transmission failure under 36K miles.
  • 2000glxstick2000glxstick Member Posts: 4
    We bought our 2005 Honda Odyssey EX new in March 2005. Now with only 43,000 pampered miles and perfect maintenance, it supposedly needs a new transmission. Its a shame that I'm out of warranty, but the "identical" car in '06 carries a 5-year 50k and I'd be fully covered.

It shows absolutely no codes and doesn't even light the trouble light, but the lockup function isn't working at 45mph when trying to maintain speed on level pavement. Honda did a data scan and it shows that it is alternating between 90% and 100% lockup. It does this about as fast as a heartbeat so the RPMs on the tach jump about a 100rpm every second.

The tech says its not the PCM or the lockup solenoid or a pressure issue or anything else. They are basically saying it needs a new transmission I think because they don't field-replace torque converters. And the kicker is that the replacement would be a remanufactured transmission!!! That makes me nervous of a repeat, especially given that I probably have fewer miles than the vast majority of trannys that are remanufactured.

I've tried to scan and search these threads for a couple days but there's not so much info on the latest generation vans.
    Any second opinions or insight how to get the best deal or alternatives to the dealer? I've thought about trying to replace the torque converter which I can get online for low $400s but I really don't have solid confidence just what the issue really is.

As far as I can tell, this transmission has been discontinued after 2006 (only a two-year part) and now the Odyssey uses the same transmission as the Pilot, but I don't know if I can swap in a Pilot transmission without a new PCM and they may have even changed other components to accomodate the change?
    Fast forward 10 months...I'm another 2005 owner with developing transmission issues and I just learned about this helpful forum and also learned to my shock that the best I can get from Honda is a remanufactured transmission.

See my post #858 at
    link title
    Can anyone tell more info about Honda Service Bulletin 06085, NHTSA item number 10021968 dated May 9 2008 updated 8/18/08 with summary: Warranty Extension: Vehicle warranty mileage. *KB 2002 through 2006 and some 2007 Fit models

If this means that Honda intends to extend the mileage coverage, my transmission may be eligible for full replacement.
    I would like to know, if that is the case, they need to pay me back for mine.

It doesn't say what part if getting extended or to what mileage. Is there not a detailed description some where? I wonder if a dealership would know.
  • odyfamilyodyfamily Member Posts: 1
    Just want to report our 2000 Honda oddyssey trannsmission is in failure. We have 104k on it with the original transmission replaced at 70k with a rebuilt transmission.....in the process of writing to Honda America to request help with replacing again. The transmision went out as my wife was in heavy traffic and barely avoided a major accident.

Please, if you are in the same sit., send your vehicle info to the NHTSA as well as any lawyers covering past or present lawsuits.

Thanks to all who have posted...we will report back Honda's reposnse.

Not sure if we would ever buy a Honda again unless Honda decides to have a 10yr/100k powertrain warranty. Honda needs to decide if they are going to stand behind their products or not.
  • inshaninshan Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone,
    I own an 2001 Odyssey and sometimes I notice when I start the engine the tcs,abs and parking brake light stays on, I usually turns of the engine for a few seconds then restart and it usually comes off, has anyone here has any idea or experienced this problem before?.

Thanks so much.
    I think faster than actual mileage odometers were installed to some Honda models. There's a law suit re this and I think Honda extends extra 5,000 miles in warranty due to this.
  • inshaninshan Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,
    I'm just curious if anyone here ever replaces their transmission fluid filter when changing the fluid? The Honda dealership says they doesn't change the filter but with so much transmission failures I'm just wondering if it might be a good idea to request the filter to be change during my next service.
    Thank you.
  • yak33yak33 Member Posts: 14
    Has Honda correctly addressed the failure issues that seem to plague earlier models? Is the latest Odyssey transmission different than these earlier failure-bound versions? Like others here I was shocked to see how many failures have occurred, as the Odyssey consistently gets excellent reviews and reliability scores.

We just bought an August-built 2008 EX-L and am wondering if we're looking at a possible failure in the future.

FWIW, today I talked to a very good friend who works only on Japanese-based cars (and has for 30 years now) and told me he has yet to work on or investigate a failure-bound odyssey transmission. However, he mentioned other Honda models with a record of tranny failures, and also that it's his policy to change transmission oil and filter earlier than factory recommendations. (I'm the same way with all my vehicles too and have for years - imo cheap insurance).

If someone could enlighten me on this it would be appreciated.

yak33
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    Most of the problems you'll read about are the 99-04 models. Honda had a design flaw. Beginning in 07 they put the Ridgeline transmission in the Oddysey. Evidently it's a little more rugged design which has had few problems.

There's nothing wrong with changing fluids more often in my book, but I don't think you have much to worry about with your 08.

By the way, wise choice letting your wife make the call on van choices.
  • car_guy_61car_guy_61 Member Posts: 2
    The Honda Odyssey doesn't have a transmission filter, that's why they recommend changing your fluid every 30,000 miles.
  • scswanbergscswanberg Member Posts: 1
    Our 2007 Hoda Odyssey (one year old) has had lousy gas mileage since day one. Dealer kept obfuscating about 'break in' and 'your mileage may vary' (12-15 MPG?). Lately developed occassionally what sounded like a gas knock on steroids (nearly a growl). Went to dealer (Memphis TN) ... conclusion is they are replacing the entire transmission.

This is just FYI to folks reading this forum. Warranty replacement of the entire transmission after one year for a 2007 Honda Odyssey.

:sick:
  • nash1234nash1234 Member Posts: 22
    Wow. How many miles do you have on your 2007? I also have a 2007 EX, and while I do not have issues with noise etc, my MPG is also terrible. Hope that's not indicative of a future issue.
    So I was wondering...what is required to upgrade an '05-'06 Odyssey EX to the '07+ transmission? I assume a new PCM?

Does anybody know if this is possible?

'07 transmission is part number 20021-R36-000
    '05 transmission is part number 20021-RGR-A01 (which is itself a replacement for the original 20021-RGR-A00)
    '07 Ridgeline trans is 20021-RJF-T10
    '07 Pilot trans is a 20021-PVL-050

None are available in the US except as remanufactured parts by the way.
  • miyervangmiyervang Member Posts: 4
    01 odyessy..
    81000 mileage

how would i know if the transmission having problem or doesn't shift in the right gear?

would i feel it, while driving the car?

oh, have another question.

my steering wheel shake when i'm steping on my brake to stop. it doesn't matter if in the highway or street. when i brake, it shake.

can anyone help out...
  • jlindkejlindke Member Posts: 2
    I have this same problem, the transmission shudders and shakes the car slightly when the car goes from 4th to 5th gear at low speeds, usually around 40mph. This problem is exacerbated when going over a slight incline or on a turn or anything that puts slightly more pressure on the engine/transmission during this shift. I have had it to the dealer 3 times and each time they jump in and go for a ride with me and it doesnt do it. I had the transmission oil changed which solved the problem for about 1000 miles then it came back. The car now has 68k miles on it and i am the original owner. This is my 5th new honda, my last was a 2002 odyssey. I thought these honda transmission problems were solved with the new 05 units. Mabye they are not, as i begin to seach on this problem it sounds like there are lots of folks that are starting to have this problem with 05 Odysseys. Im wondering if we will start seeing alot more of these transmission shudder problems as the 05 units start to get miles on them like mine. Im headed to the dealer again on Monday, hopefully it will do it this time when they drive it and honda will cover it. I would hate to think i would have to pony up for a new transmission on this new of a car that has had impeccable care. If so, this number 5 honda will be the last i ever buy, as I could have better luck with a just about any other brand.
  • miyervangmiyervang Member Posts: 4
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    my steering wheel shake when i'm steping on my brake to stop. it doesn't matter if in the highway or street.

Your rotors are warped. They need to be turned or replaced. Shouldn't be that expensive.

If there was a problem with your transmission shifting you likely would feel it. i.e slipping...slamming... engine racing.. hesitation
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    "If there was a problem with your transmission shifting you likely would feel it. i.e slipping...slamming... engine racing.. hesitation"

Both times the tranny went bad in my wife's '00 Ody, all the above symptoms were preceded by a "check engine" light.
  • vamomtobevamomtobe Member Posts: 11
    Okay, I hope you guys can help me. I have a 2007 Ody with 13,300 miles. Yesterday, I was driving on local roads w/ traffic lights going anywhere from 40 to 60. I noticed a high pitch whirl sound coming from the engine when I would accelerate or decelerate to a stop. There was no sound when I was sitting at the light. I ran my errand and the car sat in a parking lot for a couple of hours. I did the reverse trip home and no sound. Could it be one of the belts? If so, isn't it early for me to having problems with the belt. I have an appt with the dealer on Monday. If I can't replicate the noise, am I wasting my time going to the dealer? Also, is this a warranty issue or are they going to argue wear and tear?
  • MrDavisMrDavis Member Posts: 1
    Is this true for all Odysseys or just '05+? I have an '06 with a tranny that just started whining and shifting a little differently. The fluid is slightly low. I've done some light towing. The car has 48K miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • sonofknudsonofknud Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2008 Ody and at 50 miles an hour we have sputtering engine sound. I have heard of people complain on a engine pinging but it does not seem to fit that. They seem to notice going up hill. We you going up hill on the way their and downhill on the way home? I have heard of a heat shield problem that is what I think we have at 50 mph we get a noise from a heat shield vibration.
  • botanicbotanic Member Posts: 1
    I just lost a dear friend after his 2008 odyssey went forward over him after he got out of the car. I don't know if it was in park or not or in drive, although a witness apparently got in the car and said they had to shift it into park. Do you think it is possible at all that the van could have gone from park to drive on it's own and shifted gears so that it said it was in drive? I noticed that you said that your van was in park and went forward on it's own but it was in park when you got in the van. I still can't believe that my friend is dead over this and the thought that it may be because of a transmission problem really disturbs me. Please excuse my ignorance about transmission stuff as I know nothing about cars.
    Think about this - if your friend has time to get out the car and walk to the front of it, then the car was stopped for enough time for him to do the above. How can you have the car stop without a driver on the driver seat? It was supposed that that the shift stick was in PARK position and possible some weird thing made the transmission engaged. This is assumed no one was sure (everything was in a hurry)whether the stick position was still in PARK or already in DRIVE (that has to travel from P to R, and N before reached D) after this terrible accident happened.
  • vamomtobevamomtobe Member Posts: 11
    Hi - No, it was making it on all conditions, hills and flat surfaces and at all speeds. Of course, went to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong and told me to bring it back when it happens all the time. I haven't had the same level of noise, but it does come back from time to time.
    Suggest to service that you want to leave your car for a couple of days for the tech drive to home -> work -> home -> work in order to locate whirl sound from engine...
  • g3guyg3guy Member Posts: 31
    vamomtobe: anytime you have any strange sound or action coming from your Ody, head for the dealer. If you are out of town, go to the nearest dealer. They may not find anything, but there may be a code in your van's computer, which they will check. No code, no action. Sooner or later, your van will tell them what's up, and you will be in the Honda system. That will demonstrate to them that you have had problems in the past, and will help you with a claim. Since you are still under warranty, they should hop right on it. Later, you'll be happy you had it in their computer for off-warranty claims. Yes, its early for problems, but if you read through this website, you'll find that a lot of us had a lot of problems, both in and out of warranty. Best wishes...
  • slinger42slinger42 Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list of Ody transmission victims--
    As usual, first we had missed shifts and engine revving, then TCS light and finally check-engine light. Dealer foolishly replaced a pressure sensor switch and charged me $250 before concluding it was time for a new tranny. We took it in before total failure, to try to avoid the stops-in-middle-of-road syndrome. Honda offered to cover 25% but no more, so I'm out $3K and get the 3/36 warranty. I tried all the "magic words" about how everyone was having this problem etc, but got no farther. I do have service records, but only some are dealer, some local shop.
    The van is "fixed" now, but I'll keep bugging Honda to see if they'll pay more.
    I've given my info to the class action lawyer in NYC; they're very interested, I guess mine is one of the lower-mileage examples.

If you've had an 02-05 transmission failure, please call the lawyers (212-566-4047) to get on their list...painless, takes 5 minutes, nothing to lose. They have about 120 people so far, and that doesn't seem to be quite enough to make them file.

Also, report it to NHTSA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

No more Hondas for me...
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i too have noticed this on my 07 lx.  at around 25000 miles.  on the highway.  didn't notice around town.

i changed my oil at 30k and so far haven't noticed any sound.  i did what my mechanic (NOT THE HONDA DEALER)  calls a flush. drain, refill with 3.1 qts .drive it around. drain, refill. I know its expensive this way, but still less than someone else doing a mere drain, refill.  apparently, 3.1 qts is only half or a third of all the oil in the transmission and technically, even the flush might still not get all of it.

my dealer told me 60,000 for trans oil change.  i can't believe it.  the old (i used to have a 99 lx) tranny needed new oil every 15K. 

i will say that i love this van.  if i was single w/ no kids (i am not and i have 4 - kids, that is), and could drive only one car, it would be this one. fine, call me a geek - i don't care.

p.s. - all this transmission crap could be avoided if they just made it with a manual.
    I don't know about the Ody's MM, I usually change the tranny fluid whatever comes first, 3 years or 30,000 mi.
  • voxon4voxon4 Member Posts: 2
    my trany went down on 80,000. I took it to dealer and of course it was bad trany.
    they offer me 50:50 from honda corp. i didn't take it because still 2000.00 out of
    my pocket. i will offer just for labor which is 1000.00.. bad choice for $38,000.