Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Pilot

1161718192022»

Comments

• jamie1983jamie1983 Member Posts: 20
    Does the 2009 Pilot EX-L have the reverse camera?
  • mclaughlin25mclaughlin25 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the Pilot EX-L does have the reverse camera. It pops up in the rearview mirror, unlike the Touring edition that has it on the navigation screen.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Just curious, what other warranty work were you having done?
  • bbentbbent Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Pilot that has a vibration. It starts around 40 mph and goes away at about 55 mph. It feels similar to the tires being out our balance, but they have been rebalanced. We have had it in to the dealership several times and they (and Honda) are saying that this is a typical characteristic of the car. The vibration is significant enough that I feel others would be noticing this as well. Is anyone having a similar issue?
  • eduardo613eduardo613 Member Posts: 12
    By any chance...have you (recently) had cross bars added? I had a similar problem and it was due to the bars installed backward. :D
  • tardeviltardevil Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have any recommendations on replacement tires for a 2009 EX-2WD? I got about 40,0000 miles on the original manfacturer Goodyears.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Honda Pilot Tires and Wheels may be helpful.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • zorcereszorceres Member Posts: 23
    We keep having issues with the "back side panels" on the inside of the car... they seem not to fit right and keep popping out of space (leaving visible gaps). This was the 2nd or 3rd time we have had to replace them. :sick: We have a few friends with the same car and none have had this issue. It appears that the last time did the trick as we haven't had to go to fix it again :D
  • joeinvajoeinva Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at the 2011 Pilot. How is the highway noise and ride?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    One person's "quiet" will be another person's "noisy." It tends to be relative to other vehicles you've driven. Take one for a spin yourself, you'll be glad you did!

On a side note, I had no idea the 2011 was out.
  • joeinvajoeinva Member Posts: 2
    2011 out! love my 4runner but I am looking for an upgrade. Size, Ride and options. first experance with honda. looking at the 2011 touring loaded with extended Warrantee 40,100. at Pohanka in VA. Alot of comments about NASA controls but that what I love about it. Need a good ride would like to be able to hear the radio and talk to the wife. (in that order).
    Pilot ride is better IMO due to wider wheel base.
    Sorry, meant track not wheelbase.
  • hondapilotshophondapilotshop Member Posts: 2
    You won't believe this, but you're gonna have to try it: had this same problem happen to my two keys sometime last year. Told my dealer's service department about this. They replied that it's because of "bleeding" / moisture from the batteries that affects the contacts. Wiped off moisture from both batteries: both miraculously worked fine again, still going strong!
  • optima2optima2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 pilot and it has 27,317 miles. There's a humming/ rumbling noise at 25 mph and 38 mph and at 65 mph. Went for a test drive yesterday with the service manager and he notice that when the ECO light starts to come on, that's when the noise occurs. Any one else have that problem and is there anyway to fix it?
  • optima2optima2 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2009 pilot. I had vibration only when I apply my brakes. Took it back to my dealership 3 times. Three times it was the brake rotors warping. First time they resurface all the rotors(N/C). Second time they replace the rear rotors with new ones(N/C). Finally just today they replace the front rotors. I don't think it is your tires(N/C). Service manager told me that they been having this problem with all the pilots.
    So if I were you I would fight and get it fix asap. Good luck.
    If you've had the rotors resurfaced and then replaced, I hope you've also had the pads replaced. Uneven rotors will cause uneven pad wear.
  • cw4pilotcw4pilot Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with my '09 Honda Pilot. I was told by Honda customer service, that the rotors are a wearable item and that since I have exceeded 12,000 miles they will not reimburse me for the cost of having my rotors and brake pads resurfaced. I am preparing to write a formal letter of complaint to Honda corporate. If I may ask what part of the US do you live? I live in Georgia and would like to know if the southern heat might have an affect on the brakes. If there are other Pilot owners with the same issue I would like to hear from them.
  • sonnydsonnyd Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody have Steering wheel noise coming when turn the wheel either light or left whilke the car is at full stop. :mad:
  • krs2avrkrs2avr Member Posts: 6
    Nope... push back. I had this issue with my 09 Pilot and it was the Rotors. They were totally warped. This is not a characteristic of any car!
    I love the ride... I just gave up my 1998 Pathfinder! The only complaint I have is the tire noise... I do not like the tires at all. Take it for a test drive on the highway - that is when I get the most feedback from the tires.
    However, it is still quieter than my Pathfinder! :)
  • nomad2832nomad2832 Member Posts: 1
    I have read several posts and felt it important to highlight problems with my 2009 honda pilot.

I was experiencing a vibration that would begin at 30mph and 70mph in the steering wheel and seat, not to mention tires chopping at 12,000 miles. After numerous dealership visits, three sets of tires, new drive shaft, new brake rotors at my expense the problem still exists. the most troubling aspect is hondas lack of interest in resolving the problem.

I must have missed the small print in hondas brochure, stating premature tire wear, vibration and brakes are characteristic of the vehicle.

After 10 months of frustration in dealing with Honda, performing at the highest levels of mediocrity, I have resolved my vibration problem with a FX Infiniti purchase.
  • pilot888pilot888 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2009 honda pilot exl-res model. I have encountered two times on problems starting up vehicle. I have brought it in to a dealer and the service department changed out a new battery. With the new battery, I encountered the same problem, cannot start my vehicle again. I have drove it to 5000 miles. Is there anyone out there have these same problems? Please let me know. The dealer told me that this was the first time he known on this problem.

Also, anyone had the rust problem on the surface paint of the trunk door. I have called the dealer to ask for warranty on the paint. He told me Honda have no warranty on this rust problem. This car have given me a lot of problems.
  • stadquartetstadquartet Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday, I went on shopping trip 5 minutes from home. pilot started fine, got there, completed shopping put key in to start it was if the battery was dead, Lights dimmed, got a flashing of the dash instrument panel, some clicking when attempted to start it then nothing. Tried to jump start nothing, pulled the 2 main fuses, they appeared intact. Called dealership, they cannot get me in for 4 days. Any advice? thanks!
    Try changing the battery anyway.
  • tdr_hondatdr_honda Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2009 Pilot that is a great vehicle except for the rotors. I had to have the front rotors turned at 29K miles, and now at 31K miles, the rear rotors had to be turned. I argued with Honda that this should not be happening when the front ones went bad, but now that the rear ones also did, I believe there is a fundamental problem with the rotors on this model.

I plan to file another complaint with Honda and perhaps the BBB. Rotors should not be bad with this low mileage.

Any tips for dealing with Honda?
    You can warp rotors in the first 50 miles of car ownership if the brakes overheat enough; it has nothing to do really with "low miles" or not; it's a matter of when you warped them. Not implying that it is your fault (it may or may not be, I can't judge that from where I sit here!).
    Given the weight of the vehicel versus the size of the brakes, 30k miles actually seems about right to me.
  • eodomeodom Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have the same problem on my 2009 Honda Pilot. Did Honda have a solution for the noise?
    I have alsoencounteed same problems three times now. Anytime I take my 2009 Pilot EXL-RES, it wouldn't start. it keeps cranking. I keep power pack in my truck. Moment I give battery a boost, it starts and won't have aproblem agin until I take it back to car wash. I have an appt. w/Honda Dealer on Friday. I'll let you know if I find out anything. Also it makes a humming noise when you nake hard left turn. I don't know what's up with that?
  • chrisab44chrisab44 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what the problem was? My 2009 pilot would not start. I jumped it and it started. Had the Bettery tested, it passes but I got a new one anyways. Even with the new battery, it was slow to start this morning. Thanks for any information you can give me.
  • snooganssnoogans Member Posts: 3
    Had similar issue. Hoping there is a recall soon. Solution: replace battery and positive battery cable

My issue: car would not start but light did come on some which indicated issue. Jumped it without problem.
    Bought new battery and went to install it and found the positive battery connector was corroded. So called around for positive battery cable and only two dealers carried it and they were in Midwest or California and it would take 3 days to arrive and cost 110

I got the positive cable part from online at parts now.com or something like that overnighted for less than whAt dealers charge for the part

Service center not Honda dealer cost 275 for labor to replace battery and positive cable. They also found. The positive battery cable connected to alternator was also corroded (there are 3-4 cables that come together on the positive battery cable.

After replaced worked fine. It also temporarily stopped the vibration between gears caused by the Eco system. Seems having the computer reset helped that for a few weeks but it is now back.

Hope this helps
  • foreloredforelored Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2009 Honda Pilot brand new and at about 20,000 the car started to shake when I applied the brakes in a downhill situation. I took the car back to the dealer several times and they would tell me that this was normal on the touring model. I found out that after having the car at the dealer about 8 times, they had not recorded any of my visit for this issue. On the 9th visit, I pushed the issue and was told I needed to have the rotors resurfaced and new brake pads. The problem seems to have subsided. I am now worried that this will be an ongoing problem-has anyone had an issue after they had the rotor's resurfaced? Honda denies that there is a problem with the brakes and rotors in this model. I would like to know if others have the same issue with thier Honda Touring models?
    Wow: is this an issue for me, I had both my remotes replaced under warrenty twice now at three years. The cost to replace these little things on my 2009 Pilot is a $198 bucks, will lock the car using the old fashion method once the car is out of warrenty. Honda dealer just says I am hard on the remotes and that they should not be put into my pocket-LOL where to keep them so thay are not touched by something that will rest on the buttons.
    My pilot has several areas where the leather has worn through and I was hoping that someone might be able to help me find a suitable repair kit for the leather, so I do not have to have the dealer do the work. It appears to me that the leather is very thin and wears prematurely on this 2009 model. My wife has a Honda Accord with leather interior and sha has never had an issue with any wear and tear and the car is 10 years, has survived three kids and now tow grandkids. My pilot had holes at 29,000 miles and was replaced, now that it has 60,000 miles I am told that the leather isn't covered. Leather is only covered for first 30,000 miles.
  • snooganssnoogans Member Posts: 3
    Our driver seat also had similar issue where one of the seems is separating. I have not bothered to take it to the dealer because I am afraid of how much they will say it will cost to replace the bottom seat leather. Instead I have been looking at neoprene seat covers for the front which cost about $250 for the front seats (both). We bought the neoprene seat cover for the second row seat from honda because we have two kids.

Did you get an idea of cost from the dealer to replace your leather?
  • hrnhrn Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2009 Pilot Touring with 46,000 miles on it and have never done anything with the brakes or experienced anything that you have talked about in your post.
  • kel8kel8 Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased my 98 pilot in 1999 for 2.5 years with 35,000km so far. The first 2 year was fantastic. I did not hear any noise at all when you park or driving. Recently, I start to hear some fluid keep flowing under me when I park or stop my car. It is like swimming with my car but the fluid is just so close to you that distrub me so much. I start to feel driving my piolt is not fun at all....

KK
  • dbljdblj Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have had the rotors resurfaced and the vibration continues on my 2009 Ex-L. I had them resurfaced twice; first time at about 20,000 mis and second time at about 35,000 mis. The problem is occurring again at 50,000 mis. This seems excessive. Honda paid for the first two under warranty. If anyone has any suggestions on other alternatives I would be interested in discussing this with the dealer.
  • 1forgiven1forgiven Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 pilot with 41,000 miles and just realized while driving it home that when you get on the brakes that the steering wheel shakes. The guy I bought it off of said that the wheels wore funny but once replaced he no longer had an issue. I don't really know what to do about it. Any suggestions.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It sounds like you have warped rotors. It's common with lots of vehicles.

The only solution is to either turn or replace the rotors.
    it's your rotors, either have them cut the rotors or turn them. seems like Honda Pilot have this problem for a while now. I turned my 2009 pilot in and bought 2012 Honda Pilot Touring got almost 1600 miles on it. lets see if this one gives me any problem. When cutting or changing rotors make sure you also replace brake pads otherwise you'll have this problem again.
    Good Luck.
    I have a theory, because I am at the same point in my vehicle life. I have a nice shake when hitting the brakes. just got new rotors and pads... still there is a shake. So I bring it to my mechanic - both of my lower arm bushing brackets are torn! Need immediate replacement. I am off the warranty, so now what! He gives me a copy of the service bulletin... probably cause of this problem : "front suspension rear lower arm bushing bracket is FAULTY".

Well, hello Honda.... where is the recall on this? Oh anyway.. don't know if this is your problem, but you may want to check. It is for my car!!!
  • verybeegverybeeg Member Posts: 19
    my remote gets sticky every 6 months. has nothing to do with battery. a dealer told me the circuit board creates a gluey substance over time. No idea how that happens. all you have to do is to open up the remote (use a tiny Phillips), get a cotton swab and rub it around the entire circuit board gently. be sure not to leave behind lint. make sure don't touch circuit board with your fingers to prevent shorting it. clean the back cover too, just in case.

when opening the back cover, note how that cover fits into the remote so you know how to close it back up. pretty easy.

i did finally have to replace the battery after 2.5 years.
  • bpierrebpierre Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Pilots engine light came on and the "d" on the shift indicator is blinking I Googled it and it seems to indicate a problem with the transmission. Has happened quite a bit in older models with no recall notices. I guess they only recall safety items. [ so as to protect their reputation.] Anybody else with this problem?
  • talynatalyna Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my vehicle in 2009 and still have the exact same issue. Did Honda resolve this issue for you? If so how, if not, how do you plan to take care of it, as I would like to get mine taken care of?
  • talynatalyna Member Posts: 2
    I saw your March post. Did Honda fix the shaking, or are you still experiencing the shaking? What did they do to stop the shaking?
  • rocconh1rocconh1 Member Posts: 1
    By now you have probably guessed it is the transmission. I have a 2000 Accord with 307K miles... I have replaced the tranny twice. Honda is not known to have good transmissions... which is why I never buy a first out model upgrade (Like the 09 Pilots) I recommend going to a reputable mechanic and price out a new tranny. I found a nice one at http://www.synchrotech-transmissions.com/ but they do not offer one for a 2009 Pilot... If you call them they could probably point you in the right direction. Sorry bpierre...