Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    Thanks.

I figured out 1. Instead of hitting the SEL/RESET button to toggle, like every other menu, you have to hit the < button below the ^ button, next to the SEL/RESET button. With all the other menus it cyles between the main menu topics, but it functions totally differently in this menu. Not a logical UI but once you know its fine.
  • eduardo613eduardo613 Member Posts: 12
    :cry:
    I just got the 2009 pilot with the cross bars (accesory). I am going nuts from a wind-type noise (that sounds like it is) coming from the roof area... Do you think it may be the rails? Is there a way (for me) to check if the roof rails are on backward?
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Here is the link

Edmunds Test Drive Review

Not real glowing! :(
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    You or ask dealer to slide the crossbars out then you can tell.
    I read about the these complaints before getting my Pilot recently but now that I've owned it I question their accuracy. I have had multiple occasions to go from 0-60+ at freeway on ramps with lights and don't so in 7.something seconds, so I don't know what they were smoking. I was surprised too because I thought it was sluggish when I test drove it but I was being conservative I think. When you push the Pilot it responds well. Overall it has handled acceleration and passing as well as my previous Toyota Sienna's (basically the same engine as the Highlander I think), Lexus SUV or Ford Explorer. And in any event, regardless of where it lands in a competition, it gets the job done more than adequately for anyone not in a drag race.

I have had no hunting/seeking problems with the cruise control. It has worked great for me.

As for braking distances, I haven't done the kind of test they did, but for everyday use I have found it find. I like it even because it is realy smooth. The Highlander is much too tight and jerky by comparison. I have had to stop quickly once or twice and had no issue.

Bottom line is I would suggest anyone interested try for themselves before relying on this report. There have been other reviews that didn't note the same issues. Maybe they just had a lemon.
    Same as I found the driver seat causes me pain in my rear end as well as shoulder pain, while nobody else complains about it.
  • genethekgenethek Member Posts: 9
    I had the same problem. They are on backwards. Take them too the dealer who installed them and they can fix it.
    There won't be such problem if they make L side insert a different with R side.
    For those that have had the Pilot for a bit, any feedback on acceleration or breaking?
  • hjharrishjharris Member Posts: 9
    I've had my Pilot (EX-L) since late July. I waited till I got 800 miles on it before accelerating hard. When I did, I was quite satisfied. Haven't noticed any peculiarities with the braking. Haven't had to do an abrubt stop yet. All in all I am quite pleased with the car. Objections: It's hard to see the speedometer hash marks in bright sunlight. The radio etc functions are a bit complicated, though once learned the features are useful. The back-up camera image in the rear view mirror can't be seen in bright daylight.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    In my test drive, I'll admit the Pilot didn't feel as peppy as my aunt's 2005 Odyssey or my 2006 2.4L Accord 5AT. Lacking in low-end power relative to what I expected. Not a hot-rod, but certainly adequate for a family vehicle, as long as your on-ramp is long enough. I'm not sure how this vehicle would be when loaded with 1,000 lbs of people, though.
    Does anyone have a weblink to the owners manual for a 2009 pilot? Am picking mine up next week & want to read up on the specifics. Thanks.
  • bruzer56bruzer56 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have a weblink to the owners manual for a 2009 pilot? Am picking mine up next week & want to read up on the specifics. Thanks.

From the hondapilot.org forum:

LINK
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Honda has them online from '09 back to 1990:

Honda and Acura Owner&#146;s Manuals

Navigation manuals are there too.
    Thanks all for the help! I now might am not the owner of a pilot, see prices paid & experiences post. I'm not giving up, will work with other dealers though.
    Scott
    I am trying to figure out my new pilot (touring if it matters). I used to keep my phone charging in my car at night, but it seems the power to the accessories is turned off when car is off. Is there a way to change that? I'm still reading through the volumes of instructions for the car. Or is there one outlet that keeps power all the time? Thanks! Scott

One more thing, my wife & I both have phones paired with the car. When both of us have our phones in the car, how does it know which phone to use to make a call? If I say "call" I would think it would ask from which phone. Thanks again! Scott
    If past Hondas are a good guide, your power accessories WON'T charge, like you said, and I'm not sure that you can change it without rewiring something. I've seen drained batteries because of things left charging in the vehicle, so I'd imagine this is why.

On a side note, our cell-phone dealer warned us against using the car charger too often, or we'd soon be stuck with charging our phones every day because of reduced battery life.

Sorry I can't answer more for you!

TheGraduate

'96 Honda Accord 184k miles
    '06 Honda Accord 38k miles
    You don't have to worry about using a car charger. The Pilot has a built-in USB port that charges the iPod directly while also allowing full control by the iPod from the nav screen or voice control... I suspect it doesn't work while the car is off because of battery concerns...
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    The phone that is listed first in the list will be the default phone when both phones are present.
    Thanks! Can you switch the order of the phones on the list?
  • rexfrexf Member Posts: 20
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/crossovers_and_suvs/2009_hon- da_pilot_vs_ford_flex_chevy_traverse_hyundai_veracruz_mazda_cx_9_toyota_highland- er_comparison_test

2009 Pilot finishes first! However, reading between the lines, there is extremely tough competition in this category. Potential buyers should drive at least the Pilot, Mazda CX9 and Toyota Highlander before deciding. Also, highly likely that incentives will return to all vehicles in this category over the winter.
    Have owned the Pilot for a few weeks & have a thousand miles on it. Voice intregated GPS system is amazing! The bluetooth phone system, once set up, is equally incredible. From my 96 blazer to this, was quite the shocker. The vehicle didn't seem as big until I pulled it into the garage. The pilot is huge. We've used all the 2nd & 3rd row seating already & the choice to go with a bigger 8 seater vs. the highlander appears to have been a wise one. If I had to be overly picky I could only come up with a few minor negatives.
    Can my kids listen to one XM station in the back, while I listen to another in the front? Or even a FM station while they listen to XM in the back? Thanks!
    This can be done, but only if the rear passengers use the wireless headphones that are provided with the touring model with RES. There is not the capability to set up "dual zone" main speakers. Consult your manual.
    Thanks, I probably fell asleep when was to that section the 1st time.
    Really? Twin-tuners for XM? Cool!
    Usually the horn would honk when you hit the remote lock twice. That has stopped working. Before that I noticed the dome lights for the back seet passengers aren't working. Is there some switch or setting for either of these? Or a possible fuse issue?
    Thanks!
    Figured it out, in case anyone else has the same issue (2009 pilot), there is a on/off switch on the ceiling that controls rear lighting & it also affects the horn.
    there is a on/off switch on the ceiling that controls rear lighting & it also affects the horn.

I understand it affecting the lights, but the horn? That's just ODD.
    Yeah, never would have guessed that either.

Thanks for the update Scottgbwi!
  • mikenakmikenak Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Pilot EX-L w/ RES. A few weeks ago, the horn turned on constantly for no apparent reason and would not turn off. The key fob would not turn off the horn. I started the engine, and the horn still was on. I put the Pilot in 'drive' and the horn stopped temporarily, but went back on when I shifted to 'park'. I kept it in 'drive' for about 5-10 minutes and then the horn finally stayed off. The dealer had me put the alarm system in valet mode until they can diagnose.

Now today, the cabin lights are flickering and some instrument panel lights are going on and off. The 'ECO' light stayed on under heavy acceleration.

Do you think these two events are related to the issue you are discussing?
    My opinion, not at all. But I'm not remotely a mechanic & don't know how all these electronics are connected. My issue was not a defect. I inadvertently hit the switch to shut off all accessory lights & it appears that also stops the horn from sounding when locking the doors. I'll have to double check that.
    Thanks!
    I've had it for about a month. Put on more then 4100 miles & my oil change life percentage shows 60% left. Granted most of those miles are at easier highway speeds, how much longer should I wait to get a oil change. I haven't had it changed yet. I was told even for the 1st change to watch the engine recommendation, but at this pace it might be 8,000 miles or more. Any advice? Thanks!
  • joemama33joemama33 Member Posts: 26
    If it were my rig, I'd change it at 5000, and switch to full synthetic.
  • hjharrishjharris Member Posts: 9
    Scott,

I have an EX-L without the RES. I have turned the interior lighting on and off using the switch on the overhead but have not had any problems with it doing anything other than being on or off. The horn beeps on the 2nd click of the door lock function whether the dome lights are switched on or off. I'd take the car back to the dealer and show them the problem.

As to the oil change concern, I trust the Honda engineers. I've got a '99 Odyssey with about 100,000 miles and have been changing the oil every 6,000 or twice a year since new. I fully expect to have problems other than engine wear to be the cause of this car's demise. Modern engines don't cause the oil to break down so readily because much less fuel gets into the crankcase. Additives in the oil help as well.
  • rich357rich357 Member Posts: 9
    Scott, I have never followed Honda's suggested oil change guidelines. I purchased an 09 Touring in June and changed the oil after 1500 miles. Thereafter, I change the oil every 3000 - this isn't because I'm "old school" but because I've seen the oil after 3000 miles and it is really dirty and thinner.

I'm on my 6th Honda (my 3rd Pilot) and have never had a problem.
    You can't really tell anything about oil by looking at it (unlike tranny fluid, it's supposed to look dirty).

If you have concerns then spend $20 on an oil analysis. Otherwise just save your money and save some resources.

Are oil changes every 3,000 miles really needed?

My Nissan gets dead dino every 7,500 miles (or longer) just like the manual says. It's at 129,000 now and never had an oil related issue.
  • bossoxfanbossoxfan Member Posts: 4
    Worked so hard on researching specs, prices and competitors that I bought the Pilot without a specific color in mind and now I have to decide... Anybody love or hate the color combo they picked? Considering Billet with grey leather. Nimbus with beige or Cherry with beige.
    I'd recommend you consider picking an exterior color that offers the beige interior. My experience and those of others I have spoken with or read elsewhere is that the beige /black plastic combo looks a lot better and less plastic-like than the grey-black combo. But this is subjective so just look for yourself and decide.

I wasn't really in love with any of the exterior colors but unfortunately the beige interior only was offerred on a few -- the nimbus grey, the silver grey and maybe one other. I ended up with the Nimbus Grey and its fine. I like the interior and am neutral on the exterior.
    Have billet silver with grey interior. Silver looks great with the grey piece in the front grill, I think that piece looks odd against other colors. Would have preferred darker interior but not offered with billet.
    Honda recommends not changing your oil until the oil-life monitor signals you to do so, especially for the first oil change. This is because Honda puts in a special oil at the factory that is made to capture the tiny metal particle "shavings" that come off of the engine during the thousands-of-miles it takes it to fully break-in the engine.

Go to 15% Oil Life, or 12 months, whichever comes first.

Best regards,

TheGraduate

:)
  • pocketbasspocketbass Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I have been driving my 2009 EXL Pilot for about a week now and I love it. It is lot better than the 2006 SR5 4runner I have been driving for the past 3 years. Anyways I wanted to see if anyone had any information about some topics I want to discuss.

1) I just bought a cargo cover for my Pilot and noticed it does not fit properly. Basically the 3rd rolw seat belts get in the way and have to be moved out of the way inorder for the cargo cover to be pulled all the way over. Does anyone have a quick fix for this? Is there a latch for the seat belts where I can fasten them out of the way?

2) I am thinking about adding the 2nd row sun shades. They are about $135 each side. The parts guy at the Honda store said that I did not have to remove the door panel in order to install the shade, but after looking at a Touring model, it seems like I do have to remove the panel in order to get the shade in. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks!
  • shiftshift Member Posts: 10
    I am having a hard time opening the liftgate for a 2009 Pilot EX 4wd. After I clicked twice on the remote control. I pressed and hold the handle but it will not open, it will just open about an inch and still latched and then if I pushed it all the way in to close it, it will locked.
    Sometimes my remote needs me to click 3 times before all doors unlocked.
    Need a new battery in the fob? Maybe find and clean the electrical contacts on the hatch.

Try pointing the business end of the fob at your chin instead of at the car and see if that helps. (no, I'm serious :) ).
    Even without using the remote fob and opening all doors including the liftgate using the driver's side unlocking button on the door, it still would not open.

I tried unlocking all doors from the remote this morning, anf if I pressed the liftgate handle twice, it opened.
  • quasarbaquasarba Member Posts: 4
    Sample I saw the leather was dark blue or navy, how does it look in person? LIke it over the gray?
    The dealer replaced the liftgate switch, did not fix the problem. They said they have to contact Honda of America in Calif for assistance.
  • dannyhashovavdannyhashovav Member Posts: 24
    Hello all,
    i am considering leasing Pilot 09 EXL 4wd in the next week or so. Got couple of good quotes from New Jersey and Massachusetts that can be followed through (I live in NY, queens). I understand one can service a car in any Honda service station, but what are the cons and pros leasing a car from a remote dealer and saving maybe $20 to $30 in your monthly payment vs getting it near your home?
    thnks
  • Hey,

Does anyone presently own an 09 w/either of these accessories. Do you favor one over the other, or is it just the look that you prefer. I cannot decide! Thanks
    I would love to see a pic of an 09 with chrome side steps to make my final decision.