Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Pilot

toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
Has anyone seen or heard any rumor or facts related to the release of the 2008 Honda Pilot?

I wonder if there will be any big changes or just some minor tweaks?

Comments

• enthusiastic1enthusiastic1 Member Posts: 2
    Recently read an article in Autoweek (I think thats it) that they are going to make the vehicle a bit better looking and that there are definitly some changes but early in the making...Good luck, I watch for news on it all the time...
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    The Honda Pilot is scheduled to get a FMC for the 2008 model year. Since the MDX was redisigned as a 2007 then Pilot should be 2008. MDX came out for 2002 or 2001, Pilot for 2003.
  • nine2eightnine2eight Member Posts: 5
    I have an 06 Pilot and love it. Logic and history dictates that the 08 will be based on the 07 MDX. If so, the 08 Pilot will be a great value(Honda's USP) and also will benefit from the engineers working out the bugs from the 07 MDX. I see no reason to pay extra $$ for the Acura logo.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    I can't wait to hear something about this one. but I do not suspect we see anything until first in the summer similiar to the CRV.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    my guess is the engine currently being used in the Acura MDX which is 300 hp. lets hope Honda works off regular unleaded - Acura uses premium.

for style my guess is to use the '07 CRV as an example - the back end won't be as boxy.
  • tmock13tmock13 Member Posts: 38
    Just curious on people's opinions on waiting for the newly design 08 Pilots or buying the 07 Pilots.
    I purchased an 07 Pilot EXL AWD with Navi knowing that a new design will come out next year. My reason is that when the 08 Pilots roll out, prices will be MSRP with no negotiability. Also, new designs usually have problems that won't be corrected a couple of years later.
    Since the current Pilot debut in 2003, you can see how much it has improved as far as styling and amenities it now offers. Also, in 2003, Pilots were selling at MSRP.
    07 Pilots are selling below invoice with great financing being offer.
    I am sure 2008 Pilots will be nice but is it worth paying MSRP. You will be kicking yourself later when you see how the 2012 Pilots will offer when selling under invoice before another New Pilot debuts.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    i would agree that the '08 will not come down much from MSRP until the snow has melted (spring of '08). As for the bugs in a new model I wouldn't worry too much. Acura has the engine and tranny out there in the market already and Honda doesn't have the reputation of sending their cars out as unreliable.
    Personally I always stay on top of redesigns because it kills me to purchase a vehicle if it is several years old and the new redesign is about to come out. I keep my cars for a number of years basically rotating between 2 cars that we have for the family so we only ever have 1 car loan at a time.

With the massive improvements manufacturers make, how can one not wait, I think the overal improvements in styling, safety, and feature set more then makes up for the additional cost assocaited with getting a good deal at the end of Product lifecycle.
    Look at it like this as an example lets say you can get the car at a savings of $3000, but the new model will have more features, better features, is safer (honda doing new ACE structures), more fuel efficient, bigger, etc... is that worth the price difference...I guess it depends on the deal one gets as I heard some ridiculous deals on the Pilot at the end of the summer for $6000 off list...but if you keep the car for lets say 5 years, do you really want a car that came out designed 10 years before or one that is in fact only a 5 year old design.

Personally I think the Pilot is getting long in the tooth styling wise and generally I like the new designs Honda releases in the new model year. I mean I look at the new Mazda CX-9, Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia twins, not to mention the new Toyota Highlander is about to come out and I think they all look a lot better. So there will be a lot of competition in this segment, the landscape has changed dramatically from 5 years ago, where the Highlander was really the only true competitor to it and the Pilot was the only unibody SUV with a 3rd row. Thus dealers could get what they wanted.

If someone can wait until the new model has been out a year that is ideal as you can deal better. I do not worry about problems in the first year, especially considering it is a Honda, all these companies have gotten really good at quality control over the years.

B.
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    There have been numerous improvements made in-between vehicle redesigns. Some of them have been significant depending on the make and model. The manufactures need to look far ahead to what will be influencing the future automobile purchases. I expect most changes to the Pilot will be styling.
  • jeepvanjeepvan Member Posts: 46
    I agree with both the posts. I will wait for 2008 model to come and decide which way to go.

Honda needs to make its Pilot little more sharper in design; the current models is slightly (slightly) bulky. THE COLORS ARE HORRIBLE !!! But, I like the new CRV external color options. I own a 97 accord and 01 civic, and i say honda sucks in inside upholstry design and colors. Look at the seat color options Toyota provides on its sequoia and highlander. Cant hond provide any other internal color than the grey and beige ? It is like eating salad.

Why I still want to go far Honda, because i think their product is very reliable, but dull. I will compare the 08 pilot and highlander, and make up my mind. I hate to go and buy a non-honda product, but if I dont like it, then I will give a shot to highlander.
  • ukkoukko Member Posts: 23
    jeepvan, I agree with you on the dull design. Honda's thinking is too conservative. Then again, the Pilot is designed, space wise, for the north American size. For example, the Lexus midsize suv has the reputation of being for women. When you sit in it your head almost touches the roof. Nice and sporty, interior and all, but designed for the Japanese or women. I've got the 2006 Pilot, it is my second one, and the only color I could endure is silver. Hopefully, they will improve.

Cheers
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Anyone consider the 2008 Pilot might come in two sizes? One the size of the current vehicle and one larger - say the size of a Ridgeline.

This gives them another SUV between the CR-V and full size Pilot while leveraging the Pilot Brand.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    jeepvan, I agree with you on the dull design. Honda's thinking is too conservative.

Maybe that'll change (even if they didn't set up shop in Nashville :P ).

Honda R&D Americas Opens New Advanced Design Studio in California (Straightline)
    I disagree with those who thinks the current Pilot has a dull design and styling a bit conservative. I actually like it and just recently purchased a 07 Pilot EXL 4WD with NAVI. First of all, I hate the way the Lexus 330, Nissan Murano, Acura MDX, and Toyota Highlander are design. Personally, they are great to look at but not designed practical for everyday driving. I have sat in all those SUVs prior to my purchased and felt cramped in all those vehicles even at my size of 5'10" 175lbs. The average american are much bigger these days so those SUVs mentioned with the great exterior would probably be incredibly uncomfortable for everyday driving. The Pilot is designed practical with good interior space and a fun exterior. I would choose interior comfort anyday over a hot design.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I would choose interior comfort anyday over a hot design.

Well said...what do you think about the new Mazda CX-9, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave all coming out that offer a larger interior space than the Pilot? Even the current Ford Freestyle has more interior space than the Pilot, especially in and behind the 3rd row. You should go over to the Outlook forum because everyone there considers them to be far superior to the Pilot.
    American SUVs never enter my equation on choosing for a new vehicle. I agree the American SUVs have improved but the stigma of poor quality and resale value still remain with lots of people I talked to.
    As far as the new Mazda CX-9, it is still too new to judge. I would agree it is a nice vehicle but give it some time so consumers can find fault with it sooner or later.
    Subaru Outlook vs. Honda Pilot, come on why should I look at a forum dedicated to the Outlook? Of course, the people there will say it is better. Why would you bash a vehicle in its own forum? Think about that....
    Well, I don't consider comparing and contrasting vehicles as "bashing." And the Outlook, Acadia, Enclave (and my Freestyle) are not SUVs but car based CUVs. I find that most forum are boring because it's just car owners bragging about their cars trying to justify their purchase. My main issue with the Pilot was interior space. If the Pilot was another 6" longer and added a couple of inches to the 2nd and 3rd row and rear cargo area, then it would really be a winner to me. But different folks have different priorities.
    Why are you so concerned with the 2nd and 3rd row seating? I doubt you sit there often when you are, I assume, the primary driver? As far as rear cargo room, I flip the seldom used third row seating down to maximize the room back there. By the way, if you find most forums boring because of people bragging about their vehicles, so why do you read them and respond to them?
    Another thing, the Pilot must have interest you at some point that you even mentioned that it needs to be 6" longer.
    But like you said different folks have different priorities.
    Why are you so concerned with the 2nd and 3rd row seating?

Call me strange...but I'd think some folks looking for a 3 row vehicle actually use all three rows for adults sometimes.

And yes, when I was shopping around I did consider the Pilot among other vehicles.

And I respond to keep them lively ;)
  • ukkoukko Member Posts: 23
    Why so concerned about 3rd row seating?

The idea of designing a 3rd row seat in a 6 cylinder, midsize vehicle, does not make sense. Just think what good uses could be done with that space. There would be a reduction of weight and an improvement to the floor. Those needing a third row can purchase a full size suv with 8 cylinders. I wish those of us that do not use the 3rd row had the option not to include it with our purchase or lease.

Jamming people into that tight 3rd row space is more of a sales gimmick than good design sense. Hopefully, Honda will drop this 3rd row nonsense from their new concepts or at least give us the option to not include it.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    Although I am leaning toward a 07 Toyota Highlander I couldn't agree more. If I get the Highlander Limited they have a 3rd row whether I want it or not. And I definitely would not have it if there was an option.

Without the 3rd row seat there would be a place for storage stuff rather than the seat itself.............Nuts.........
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Couple replies:
    Tmock: "Why are you so concerned with the 2nd and 3rd row seating? I doubt you sit there often when you are, I assume, the primary driver?"

I don't get your logic here. Are you saying that only the driver's seating place is relevant in a car purchase? I don't know about you, but I actually do seat other people in the car when I drive, and even though it isn't me, I do care about my passengers' comfort.

Ukko: Why so concerned about 3rd row seating?
    The idea of designing a 3rd row seat in a 6 cylinder, midsize vehicle, does not make sense. Just think what good uses could be done with that space. There would be a reduction of weight and an improvement to the floor. Those needing a third row can purchase a full size suv with 8 cylinders. I wish those of us that do not use the 3rd row had the option not to include it with our purchase or lease.
    Jamming people into that tight 3rd row space is more of a sales gimmick than good design sense. Hopefully, Honda will drop this 3rd row nonsense from their new concepts or at least give us the option to not include it."

I disagree fully here too. If you don't want a third row, there are plenty of options for you too. How many Honda V8 Full Size SUVs are sold?

If you looked at other cars / car forums (something Tmock mocked) such as the new GM trio, you would see that it's possible to get a reasonable third row in a V6 / midsized CUV.

Making optional makes development / crash testing more expensive - you have to test it with and without the third row.

As I said, if you really don't want a third row, you have the option to buy something else, like a CR-V if you want to stay Honda.
    Tmock: "Why are you so concerned with the 2nd and 3rd row seating? I doubt you sit there often when you are, I assume, the primary driver?"

I don't get your logic here. Are you saying that only the driver's seating place is relevant in a car purchase? I don't know about you, but I actually do seat other people in the car when I drive, and even though it isn't me, I do care about my passengers' comfort.

TMock: Hey, I am glad you are so concern with the comforts of your passengers in the third row. I do also, so when I actually need my third row I drive my Honda Odyssey instead. My Pilot is my second car in the household.
    Many midsize SUVs with third row seating lack the legroom to be comfortable. If you need a SUV where comfort for everyone is a priority then you will need to step up and get a fullsize SUV ex. Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada.

For practicality sake, nothing beats a minivan, Odyssey, Sienna, to haul people around comfortably.

Hey, look at the current news in the Auto Industry, foreign vehicles are surpassing the US vehicles in sales again. I am not poking fun at the new GM trio but look at the facts. Honda CRV vs GM trio? Honda, Toyota vs. Ford, GM? Enough said.
    As far as full-size SUV's third row comfort, most are not much better (and some worse) than mid-size SUV's third rows [the exception is the Merc GL - lots of space there]. Minivans have most of them beat easily.

On the other hand, not everyone has the ability to own both a Pilot and an Odyssey. So for those who have to choose between one and the other, 3rd row comfort in a Pilot could be key. Granted, it will still be less than the minivan, but for some of us in the snowbelt, the AWD is tough to pass up (even with snowtires, and I do run with them). Don't get me started in the "option" of an AWD minivan like the Sienna [recall, I use snowtires ...]

Btw, Chrysler is hurting, and Ford has made a number of strategic errors, but don't count the General out. GM has some very good product coming out soon (the big Trio, Malibu), and has had good success getting its new full-size trucks out early. Toyota may out-produce them worldwide in 07, but I wouldn't be surprised to see GM retake that crown in 08 (less likely) or 09 (more likely). Believe it or not, my guess is it all depends on the success or lack of it of the new Tundra. Lots of other Toyota products have been delayed due to quality problems. California may go Asian, but it's a close fight in the rest of the country and the world.
    "On the other hand, not everyone has the ability to own both a Pilot and an Odyssey"

Don't get me started...First of all, both vehicles are only a Honda. I could undertand if it were a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc... where I can understand as coming across being boastful.

"Toyota may out-produce them worldwide in 07, but I wouldn't be surprised to see GM retake that crown in 08 (less likely) or 09 (more likely)."

By the way, did you just finish seeing "Rocky Balboa" before you wrote your comments? If Toyota is suffering from quality issues, it sure isn't scaring away potential buyers with their record breaking 4th qtr sales.
    "California may go Asian, but it's a close fight in the rest of the country and the world."
    Which world are you talking about? Record sales figures apply to entire US. As far as foreign countries sales figures, Toyota and Honda are tops there also.
    Don't get me started...First of all, both vehicles are only a Honda. I could undertand if it were a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc... where I can understand as coming across being boastful.

My apologies. Didn't mean it as a "boast" - more in terms of practicality: not all families can own 2 large vehicles, and hence be able to swap between them. For me, it is one or the other. What percentage of 2 vehicle families now have both from the mid/large SUV and minivan range? That's all I was saying.

By the way, did you just finish seeing "Rocky Balboa" before you wrote your comments?
    Not sure what you mean here. Sorry.

If Toyota is suffering from quality issues, it sure isn't scaring away potential buyers with their record breaking 4th qtr sales.
    You are correct as of now, but there are lags with these things. A more telling fact is the delay in the introduction of new models, which should hurt future sales (that's why I say 08/09).

Which world are you talking about? Record sales figures apply to entire US.
    Sorry, but I couldn't find a Toyota-only sales by state, and I didn't have the time to do the math here:
    From the CC Times/Matt Nauman: By the time the year ends next week, state residents will have bought 938,839 Japanese brand vehicles and 859,206 from the traditional Big Three nameplates, including Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge, according to a forecast by the state's auto dealers. That would give Japanese automakers a 44.8 percent share of the California market, compared with 41.0 percent for the Big Three. Nationally, through November according to Automotive News, domestic brands have a 53.9 percent share of the U.S. market, while Japanese brands have 34.8 percent share.

However, you take out California, and you should see that both GM & Ford are beating Toyota in the U.S. outside of California.

As far as foreign countries sales figures, Toyota and Honda are tops there also.
    Again, take out U.S. from the world sales, and GM & Toyota are neck & neck in sales. Honda isn't close.

Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding. With respect to the 08 Pilot (and why I think what I wrote is relevant to this topic), I think more families will be moving to a Pilot/GM trio sort of vehicle, rather than a minivan.

Hence, I think it would be wise for (1) Honda to add 3rd seat space; and (2) see the GM trio as a tough competitor. Minivan sales have dipped a good bit, and the future looks more like the Mazda CX9 / GM trio / (rumored) stretched 08 Highlander.

I'm checking out for now.
    Lets make a wishlist for pilot 08. (are we sure it is going to be redesigned ?) Here is my wishlist.

1. better interior and exterior color/upholstry options
    2. mpg effeciency
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    1. Quieter ride
    2. Reduce supension "busyness" on the highway
  • trdprerunnerdctrdprerunnerdc Member Posts: 52
    1. Less plastic look on the interior.
    2. Improve road noise.
    3. Navigation System w/ intergrated entertainment system.
    4. More comfort for rear bench seating.
    5. Updated Instrument lighting.
    6. Less pushy finance managers who cannot understand the meaning of "No, thank you".

Don't get me wrong. I traded in my '05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab for the comfort and safety of a '06 Honda Pilot.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Well they can go more in the direction of big SUV a la Toyota Sequoia to haul boats or more in the direction of the Mazda CX-9 refined 3 row crossover / people hauler with AWD. I am hoping for refined crossover direction.
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    My guess for the Pilot is the sporty crossover and I think the next version of the Odyssey will go that direction also. The Ridgeline platform (modified from the Pilot) will spawn a brute SUV if needed.
  • sagalibasagaliba Member Posts: 31
    I just bought a 2007 Pilot. I knew about the redesigning of the 2008 Pilot before I bought it. Even though I hate the idea of owning a relative new car that is already "out of style," I have to say I like the look of Pilot better than the new MDX.

To me, the round-ish look of MDX looks more like a crossover than a SUV. Yea, I know some may argue that Pilot IS a crossover, but I still prefer the look of a SUV! (One reason I didn't even bothered to look at Murano) :)
  • kmh2468kmh2468 Member Posts: 62
    if the '08 looked anything like that, then I'm totally glad I went with the '07 version... :)
    really surprised after looking at Pilot, Odyssey & CRV

Both Pilot & Odyssey has strange green colors. Olive oil green, actually it is a lame grey color. Why cant they have a regular not-too-dark-not-too-light green color. The red tail lights on a green will look charming.

CRV has a nicer looking light green, like a mini-bmw. The only complaint about the crv its happy-protruding face. Still, CRV doesnt come with the regular green.

Odyssey finally came up with midnight blue color, which is fantastic of all the other colors. My opinion is they should have the regular green too.

Saw a regular green Pilot in Fry's electronics parking lot in sfo bay area. the owner has re-did the paint job. it was looking nice.

Honda will you listen ? ..... hate to see those slate green & amazon green ... who comes up with these ideas .... :sick:
  • practicalpractical Member Posts: 53
    Hyundai has a real competitive SUV now.

I like it a lot, value vs. pricing.

Honda is always my favorite. Besides the SHAWD, I wish these can be the options for 08 Pilot,
    - HID light, a must have for 35+
    - Proximity/Smart key, very convenion
    - puddle lamp / approach light
    - turning signal at side mirror
    - yellow rear turning signal is a lot safer than the current red one.

Also, can we not to have a truck-like front looking?
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    "turning signal at side mirror"

There already is a side signal on the quarter panel. If your talking about an actual Mirror signal, you can get them from muth.com, but I agree the mirror could use one.

"yellow rear turning signal is a lot safer than the current red one"

I second that comment.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    The reason I went with another brand when looking for an 8 passenger was that I can't drive a steering wheel mounted shifter. Do you know if Honda is finally putting the stick where it goes, between the seats?
  • christinam1christinam1 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyknow when the 2008 will be released? I hesitate
    to buy a 2007 since the 2008 is a new design. Thanks.
  • solosolo Member Posts: 48
    Funny, but the reason Ilike the pilot is because the shifter is on the wheel! Almost all other crossovers are between the seats. Buy one of them
    Nothing is for sure now, but Honda tends not to introduce new models before September. The 2008 Highlander (redesigned) will be unveiled tomorrow in Chicago though. Sales beginning later, but probably sooner than the 08 Pilot.
    highlander got released. Exterior is not that great, actually dull than the current version, but the interior is good. Toyota is known for its quieter ride though.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007020627575

i have an accord and civic, both has a high road noise. :cry: Hope honda does put some work on the new pilot in reducing the road noise.
  • eagle21eagle21 Member Posts: 26
    Hey...thanks for the link. I myself have an 01' Accord and hope the new Pilot will have good sound suppression. I'm waiting to see what Honda will put out now to respond. ;)
    After the release of the Toyota 2008 highlander, I am nervous about a few things. The toyota suv user community is not that happy with the new design. They think, it is a "RAV4 on steriods".

1. What if the new pilot is a "CRV in steroids" ?
    2. What if, Honda wants to keep the new pilot, somewhat dull, to make a difference between its mdx/rdx line, and not to loose their potential acura suv customers ?

I have ruled out buying highlander, and my choices are going to be either 08'pilot or 07'pilot. My wish is the new pilot to be pleasing the masses. :confuse:
  • kmh2468kmh2468 Member Posts: 62
    "CRV on steroids" - funny you say that, I always thought of the Pilot in that manner esp. before the '06-'07 redesign of the front grill...
    I was looking forward to the new Highlander, but after seeing this poor redesign, which basicaly looks like a mid-model change :( They played it so safe it is crazy.

I am hoping that Honda after seeing the new GM crossovers and the Mazda CX-9 and having a bit more time on their hands will come up with something more impressive then a mild makeover of the current edition.

I would not be surprised if the Honda Pilot has some family resemblance to the CRV as long as they do not go overboard and use the smiley grill.

I am hearing conflicting reports at when it is to be released, some say this Fall as a 2008, some say next Spring as a 2009.

B.
    B.
    I have strong instincts that there will be a 2008 redesign, and will get in Sep'07. Honda is redesigning all its vehicles every 5 years. Also, i am seeing too many pilots in california bay area. looks to me they are clearing the inventories.

Yeah, i hate the smily, fish mouth of the crv. Also, i am not in favour of a round, ovalish shapes of crv and cx9. Other than that, they both are good. But, the new pilot could be slightly round, considering the new rdx and mdx redesign.

But, I have high hopes on Honda. Their odyssey redesign was good, and their crv,rdx, mdx redesign were ok and digestable. So, i am confident, that it will not be a disppointment. I dont expect 08 pilot to be super stylish. Even if they take the current pilot, and do a slight makeover it will be a hit.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I would think that Honda would not want to release a new Pilot until 2008 because of the release of the new 2008 Accord. It seems from a marketing standpoint, they should release one new vehicle to maximize publicity. This is just my opinion.

I don't like the new Highlander. Its just the Rav on roids minus the wart in the back (rear tire on the RAV). I will continue to lurk on the Pilot thread for prices given the current f to d incentives.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    As a curent Highlander owner, this is my 3rd since '01, I have been looking for something bigger and with more room. I test drove the Pilot and liked it but was not impressed with the MPG rating. I currently get 22+ during the week in and 27+ on the highway. I have the AWD V6 version and I really wanyt to buy a Toyota but the Highlandr redesign interior turns me off. The middle row is dumb, who are they kidding with the middle seat. OMG. I went an looked at a Sequoia but found too many ashtrays. I hope Honda does the redesign right